PDA

View Full Version : Asteras Tripolis

bingo70
13-07-2018, 11:59 AM
At the risk of sounding like an English pundit in the world cup I don't think it's being too presumptuous to start looking ahead to this tie now.

Just wondering if anybody knows anything about them? Are they likely to be any good? Will their season be underway when we play them? Any star players we may have heard of? Will they bring a decent crowd with them? Do their supporters take milk in their coffee? Cafe Nero or Starbucks?

Feels like this will be the proper European tie we worked so hard to qualify for, was a great occasion when AEK Athens came to Easter Road but i hope this mob aren't as good as they were. Not sure if Greek football is in a good place just now or not though?

The Pointer
13-07-2018, 12:06 PM
Not a thing but given the state of their economy they'll probably struggle with the plane fair.

Godsahibby
13-07-2018, 12:10 PM
Was having a look at them earlier. Signed 8 players so far this season, a lot of Spaniards from lower league teams.

Hibernian Verse
13-07-2018, 12:13 PM
Finished 5th in Greek league last year, but were in the EL Group Stages last year also

I think they will be "better" than us but we have a good chance of progressing with a strong home result. They don't travel well away from home in Europe having never won a game away.

St Pauli Hibee
13-07-2018, 12:13 PM
At the risk of sounding like an English pundit in the world cup I don't think it's being too presumptuous to start looking ahead to this tie now.

Just wondering if anybody knows anything about them? Are they likely to be any good? Will their season be underway when we play them? Any star players we may have heard of? Will they bring a decent crowd with them? Do their supporters take milk in their coffee? Cafe Nero or Starbucks?

Feels like this will be the proper European tie we worked so hard to qualify for, was a great occasion when AEK Athens came to Easter Road but i hope this mob aren't as good as they were. Not sure if Greek football is in a good place just now or not though?

Well they are Greek for starters :wink:, I think this tie will be very even, Main Man I think will be Michalis Manias (Striker No.11 46apps, 22gls) They have loads of Argentinians in their team so watch for diving and just general cheating. They are however quite a small team so set- pieces might work in our favour.

Generally Greek teams travel well in Europe so I would expect a decent crowd coming over from Tripoli.

Don't think they will be in Café Nero, I somehow sense you might find them downing ouzo in The Mash Tun pre match

Heisenberg
13-07-2018, 12:14 PM
Sure I read they don’t start their season until August, so they shouldn’t have a match fitness advantage over us.

Billy Whizz
13-07-2018, 12:15 PM
Think the real issue for Hibs in Greece, will be the heat. Mid 30’s next week, and will be warmer in August. Pity the fixture wasn’t the other way round, as we have Motherwell at home on the Sunday after it

bingo70
13-07-2018, 12:19 PM
Think the real issue for Hibs in Greece, will be the heat. Mid 30’s next week, and will be warmer in August. Pity the fixture wasn’t the other way round, as we have Motherwell at home on the Sunday after it

Simon Murray got sun burnt just reading your post there.

Sounds like we really need to get a victory at home to take over there (the first leg is at home isn't it?)

CapitalGreen
13-07-2018, 12:22 PM
Sure I read they don’t start their season until August, so they shouldn’t have a match fitness advantage over us.

August 26th, however they have already started playing friendlies in preparation.

NAE NOOKIE
13-07-2018, 12:25 PM
Well, they will be a tougher prospect than last nights opponents that's for sure. If we are going to win the tie we will have to do it at home and that means getting our organisation right, something that's currently a wee bit lacking IMO …. it goes without saying that we must avoid losing a goal at home, do that and you give yourself a real chance in the 2nd leg.

CapitalGreen
13-07-2018, 12:28 PM
7 managers in the last 2.5 years, however their current guy seems to have lasted longer than most of this predecessors.

JeMeSouviens
13-07-2018, 12:34 PM
Their stadium only holds 7500 and you can get a ST including European games for 100 euros! So presumably they get a ton more tv money than we do?

They've only been in the top league for 10 years as well, lower and regional leagues before that.

St Pauli Hibee
13-07-2018, 12:37 PM
They are howfin away from home:

P12, W0, D5, L7

At Home they don't seem much better Last 6:

P6 W1 D1 L4

There is hope there albeit they have been out of Europe for a couple of years now

Michael
13-07-2018, 12:42 PM
Don't really expect us to win the tie, bit good trip for the lucky few who can go. Should make a few quid in the home tie too.

Hibernian Verse
13-07-2018, 12:45 PM
Is it fair to say that their coefficient is a hangover from pre-financial crisis in Greece?

Not entirely sure if that fits in with the dates.

Beefster
13-07-2018, 12:48 PM
Well they are Greek for starters :wink:, I think this tie will be very even, Main Man I think will be Michalis Manias (Striker No.11 46apps, 22gls) They have loads of Argentinians in their team so watch for diving and just general cheating. They are however quite a small team so set- pieces might work in our favour.

Generally Greek teams travel well in Europe so I would expect a decent crowd coming over from Tripoli.

Don't think they will be in Café Nero, I somehow sense you might find them downing ouzo in The Mash Tun pre match

Do Argentinians cheat more than other nationalities?

CockneyRebel
13-07-2018, 12:52 PM

Ask Terry Butcher.

007 Mickey Weir
13-07-2018, 12:53 PM

Will the first game of season now be a Sunday?

Beefster
13-07-2018, 12:54 PM
Ask Terry Butcher.

Terry Butcher has a lot of stuff to explain before we get to his opinion on Argentinians tbh.

Onceinawhile
13-07-2018, 12:58 PM

Hope note, it's my son's birthday party on the Sunday!

1van Sprou7e
13-07-2018, 12:59 PM
Is the first leg at home then?

Billy Whizz

It will, but we can’t confirm it until after the 2nd leg against Runavik

1van Sprou7e
They are howfin away from home:

P12, W0, D5, L7

At Home they don't seem much better Last 6:

P6 W1 D1 L4

There is hope there albeit they have been out of Europe for a couple of years now

Is this just their European record?

Hibernian Verse
13-07-2018, 01:00 PM
Is the first leg at home then?

Yes

allezsauzee
13-07-2018, 01:04 PM
Don't really expect us to win the tie, bit good trip for the lucky few who can go. Should make a few quid in the home tie too.

That's the spirit!

HIBERNIAN-0762
13-07-2018, 01:05 PM
Yes

How do you know this? Link?

MWHIBBIES
13-07-2018, 01:05 PM
Don't really expect us to win the tie, bit good trip for the lucky few who can go. Should make a few quid in the home tie too.Why wouldn't we win it? Absolutely no reason these guys are any better than us.

Zazu62
13-07-2018, 01:06 PM
Lots of Argentinians in there team going by Wikipedia

Billy Whizz
13-07-2018, 01:08 PM

We were drawn out 1st
It’s on UEFA website too

Hibernian Verse
13-07-2018, 01:09 PM

Because we were drawn at home...

bingo70
13-07-2018, 01:15 PM
Ask Terry Butcher.

Always makes me laugh that, people like Butcher that made a career out of kicking lumps out of people which could actually have injured people labelling Maradona a cheat because he hand balled it.

scooby
13-07-2018, 01:21 PM
Why wouldn't we win it? Absolutely no reason these guys are any better than us.

Exactly, I expect us to progress.

Michael
13-07-2018, 01:32 PM
Why wouldn't we win it? Absolutely no reason these guys are any better than us.

They look quite decent on paper. Been to the Europa groups a couple of times.

JeMeSouviens
13-07-2018, 01:42 PM
Ask Terry Butcher.

Is Terry Butcher entitled to be given a fair hearing on anything? Ask Hibs fans. :rolleyes:

LichtieHibby
13-07-2018, 01:47 PM
Got this from a Greek guy at work (I think he is referring to last year):

"Historically considered one of the weaker teams in Greece but they are having a good year at the moment (helped by the fact that the rest seem to having a pretty bad one). They are currently #5 in the Greek League with 39 goals in 30 games and an average of 1 goal per 7.8 attempts when the average of other teams is 1 goal per 11.1 attempts. So they are doing good but they are pretty inconsistent, ie playing well in one game, and crap on the next two etc. Overall, I wouldn’t underestimate them but I’d bet my money on the Hibs."

Oscar T Grouch
13-07-2018, 02:02 PM
Always makes me laugh that, people like Butcher that made a career out of kicking lumps out of people which could actually have injured people labelling Maradona a cheat because he hand balled it.

He headed that goal in, never seen a handball from Diego at all 😉

LALthehibeeGAL
13-07-2018, 02:44 PM
They look quite decent on paper. Been to the Europa groups a couple of times.

think we are in for a tough time to be honest

here is some of the stats

The 2012–13 season was the most successful in Asteras' history. They finished third in the Super League (and fourth in the play-offs), securing a place for the 2013–14 Europa League. Meanwhile, they reached the first Greek Cup final in their history, losing 1–3 to Olympiacos after extra time.[5]

"Notable wins"
2016–17 Asteras Tripolis – AEK 3–2
2017–18 Asteras Tripolis – AEK 2–0
2017–18 Asteras Tripolis – Panathinaikos 1–0
2017–18 Asteras Tripolis – PAOK 3–2

PS: we are still not there yet!!!

lal:wink:

SunshineOnLeith
13-07-2018, 03:52 PM

The 2012–13 season was the most successful in Asteras' history. They finished third in the Super League (and fourth in the play-offs), securing a place for the 2013–14 Europa League. Meanwhile, they reached the first Greek Cup final in their history, losing 1–3 to Olympiacos after extra time.[5]

"Notable wins"

Their fans could just as easily look at the fact we beat rangers (twice) and Celtic last season and conclude they're in for a tough time.

Think it will be a close tie but actually having the Faroese game first might work in our favour in terms of knocking off the ring rustiness.

Speedy
13-07-2018, 07:24 PM
I fancy us to get through. Won't be an easy game but we have to go into it believing we can win.

Hermit Crab
13-07-2018, 07:41 PM
I think it will be tight, away goals might decide this tie.

Jack Hackett
13-07-2018, 08:15 PM

As a vet of the 60's and 70's, I expect us to beat just about anyone put in front of us... but then again, we were spoiled back then, and I've been a tad disappointed since :greengrin

Hi Heid Yin
13-07-2018, 08:35 PM

Latin and Hispanic teams of the past gained a deserved reputation for cheating both on and off the field - Match-fixing and bribing refs an all-too familiar scenario.
But cheating (play acting/diving) is now considered part of the game around the world and the Argentineans probably don't cheat any more than, say, the Germans.

HiBremian
13-07-2018, 08:41 PM
As a vet of the 60's and 70's, I expect us to beat just about anyone put in front of us... but then again, we were spoiled back then, and I've been a tad disappointed since :greengrin

The young snowflakes of today, eh. When I were a lad we gave the Italian league leaders a 3 goal start and pumped them 5-0 to go through.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JimboHibs
13-07-2018, 09:10 PM
Their fans could just as easily look at the fact we beat rangers (twice) and Celtic last season and conclude they're in for a tough time.

Think it will be a close tie but actually having the Faroese game first might work in our favour in terms of knocking off the ring rustiness.

Or they might look at our recent European record and think were utter horse sh%@e.Which tbf is utter horse ***** though imho i reckon we are far better prepared and a far better team since our last European games.

HappyAsHellas
13-07-2018, 09:26 PM
They finished 5th in the Greek super league last season with the same points as Xanthi but better goal difference. To be fair to the Greek leagues it's a few big boys and the rest made up of smaller sides from islands etc. The standard is not outstanding but Tripolis seem to be well organised as they don't concede too many goals, but only score more than one against the weakest sides in the league. Should we fear them? - no way, but it will not be easy.

Sammy7nil
13-07-2018, 09:59 PM
The Greeks love a nil nil there are very few goals in their league games. Any score without conceding at home and I would really fancy our chances if they get a score draw or better at ER we will struggle. stating the Obvious i know :greengrin

Jones28
13-07-2018, 10:05 PM
Like BillyWhizz has said, the heat will be an issue.

Hopefully we get out there ASAP to try to acclimate.

Austinho
14-07-2018, 02:24 AM

Hopefully we get out there ASAP to try to acclimate.I heard several times in commentary during the World Cup that Southgate had England arriving as late as possible to new cities because trying to acclimatise to hotter or humid conditions wasn’t proven to be beneficial. They viewed it as better to stay within their ‘home’ comforts, and just deal with the new conditions for 90 minutes.

Eyrie
14-07-2018, 10:27 AM
I heard several times in commentary during the World Cup that Southgate had England arriving as late as possible to new cities because trying to acclimatise to hotter or humid conditions wasn’t proven to be beneficial. They viewed it as better to stay within their ‘home’ comforts, and just deal with the new conditions for 90 minutes.

Rugby teams take a similar approach now to playing on the high veldt in South Africa, so the sports science must support it.

Baader
14-07-2018, 10:35 AM
This lot are no mugs. Given the heat we will be up against in Greece think it's imperative we keep a clean sheet at home and look to have a two goal lead. Think it's a tricky tie but I'm hopeful we can do it.

Hermit Crab
14-07-2018, 10:39 AM

Hopefully we get out there ASAP to try to acclimate.

Lets hope its one of our "cooler" summer days when they come across here

Keith_M
14-07-2018, 11:13 AM

Jim Herriot?

Johnny_Leith
14-07-2018, 11:19 AM
Out of interest, what was bronbys home record like prior to our victory there?

We can get results at places like Ibrox, Celtic park, bromby, tynie, pittodrie under Lennon. If we can take a first leg advantage to Greece, I'm confident in this team to see us through.

Hermit Crab
14-07-2018, 11:34 AM
Out of interest, what was bronbys home record like prior to our victory there?

We can get results at places like Ibrox, Celtic park, bromby, tynie, pittodrie under Lennon. If we can take a first leg advantage to Greece, I'm confident in this team to see us through.

We have to win to nil at home to stand a good chance of going through imo.

Jamesie
14-07-2018, 12:23 PM
The Third Qualifying Round draw actually takes places on the Monday prior to the first leg of the Second Round - so barring a collapse in the Faroes we’ll know who we might be up against on the 9th/16th August.

Billy Whizz
14-07-2018, 12:36 PM
The Third Qualifying Round draw actually takes places on the Monday prior to the first leg of the Second Round - so barring a collapse in the Faroes we’ll know who we might be up against on the 9th/16th August.

Think I’m going to leave an away trip for this round!
I’ll take my chances

Bandito59
14-07-2018, 10:50 PM
The guy I am renting my Air B and B from assures me it is not that hot there and it rains a lot! Could be that the climate might not be too oppressive for us.

Johnny_Leith
14-07-2018, 10:59 PM
We have to win to nil at home to stand a good chance of going through imo.

It would certainly be a big help!

Hi Heid Yin
14-07-2018, 11:15 PM

I can see these statements pinned up on the Runavik dressing room board right now.
That's their team talk taken care of.:greengrin

Jack Hackett
15-07-2018, 12:01 AM
Jim Herriot?

Had a drink with him before the Lisbon game on the prom in Estoril... several, actually. I'm given to understand that Eddy Turnbull was not amused :greengrin

Billy Whizz
18-07-2018, 03:37 PM
I see they beat Lechia Gdańsk away 1-0 in a friendly a few days ago
Wonder if we’ve had them watched yet

https://youtu.be/ZbOqTEag7Sw

Hermit Crab
18-07-2018, 03:42 PM
I see they beat Lechia Gdańsk away 1-0 in a friendly a few days ago
Wonder if we’ve had them watched yet

https://youtu.be/ZbOqTEag7Sw

They won 2-1 at home pn Sunday to an Israeli team.
https://us.soccerway.com/matches/2018/07/17/world/club-friendlies/asteras-tripolis/hapoel-raanana-fc/2799546/

Hibernian Verse
18-07-2018, 03:44 PM
They won 2-1 at home yesterday to an Israeli team.
https://us.soccerway.com/matches/2018/07/17/world/club-friendlies/asteras-tripolis/hapoel-raanana-fc/2799546/

They finished 11th before their split then 9th post split...

Really not sure what to make of this Greek side.

SirDavidsNapper
18-07-2018, 03:44 PM
We'll be underdogs against them I'd have thought?

Hermit Crab
18-07-2018, 03:46 PM
They finished 11th before their split then 9th post split...

Really not sure what to make of this Greek side.

I would say they've got enough to tuck us away if we're not careful, I reckon we need a few signings in before playing them.

Is Kamberi not a yellow card away from suspension? I'm assuming its 2 yellows then a ban?

Billy Whizz
18-07-2018, 03:47 PM
We'll be underdogs against them I'd have thought?

They are the seeded team

Hermit Crab
18-07-2018, 03:49 PM
They are the seeded team

I think they finished 5th in their league and missed out on champions league on goal difference.

Ryan69
18-07-2018, 03:49 PM

"Notable wins"

2016/17....Im sure AEK were in second division.

So beating them a couple of times...aint that great really.

Closer we get to the game....more confident of a win i am.

hulk
18-07-2018, 03:50 PM
I would say they've got enough to tuck us away if we're not careful, I reckon we need a few signings in before playing them.

Is Kamberi not a yellow card away from suspension? I'm assuming its 2 yellows then a ban?

Believe it’s three cards now and wiped out if you get to group
stages

Hibernian Verse
18-07-2018, 03:52 PM
They are the seeded teamThey are but it's based on their 4th and 5th year coefficient. They haven't done anything of notice in recent times.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

CapitalGreen
18-07-2018, 03:52 PM
The guy I am renting my Air B and B from assures me it is not that hot there and it rains a lot! Could be that the climate might not be too oppressive for us.

Historical average for August 2nd is 31 degrees. Hopefully cooler in the evening as kick off probably wont be until 9-10pm local time.

jonny
18-07-2018, 03:55 PM
I'm quietly confident that we can turn the Greek team over, seeded or not.
They're more experienced than us in Europe in recent times but having looked at their regular season performance I wasn't that impressed.
Admittedly I know very little about them but have a 'feeling' we'll do this.

Hibernian Verse
18-07-2018, 03:55 PM
Historical average for August 2nd is 31 degrees. Hopefully cooler in the evening as kick off probably wont be until 9-10pm local time.Confirmed as 9.45 local time by Premier Sports who are showing the game.

Billy Whizz
18-07-2018, 03:57 PM
Confirmed as 9.45 local time by Premier Sports who are showing the game.

Thanks
Great for the players, will be a bit cooler, but going to be a really late one for the fans, especially if it goes to extra time

Hibernian Verse
18-07-2018, 04:00 PM
Thanks
Great for the players, will be a bit cooler, but going to be a really late one for the fans, especially if it goes to extra timeI'm more worried about how pished were all going to be as the bus is at 1pm!!

Big_Franck
18-07-2018, 04:22 PM
I'm more worried about how pished were all going to be as the bus is at 1pm!!

I'd say a good few will barely remember the game. Good that it'll be slightly cooler though.

Billy Whizz
18-07-2018, 04:24 PM
I'm more worried about how pished were all going to be as the bus is at 1pm!!

Maybe pishing down with rain, as a few others have said

hfc rd
18-07-2018, 04:30 PM
I see they have been very active in the transfer window. Signed about 10 players.

Hibernian Verse
18-07-2018, 04:42 PM
I see they have been very active in the transfer window. Signed about 10 players.I know of another football club who used to be decent in Europe that have adopted a similar strategy

SunshineOnLeith
18-07-2018, 07:52 PM
I think they finished 5th in their league and missed out on champions league on goal difference.

You've got slightly mixed up, they only qualified for Europe on goal difference.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017%E2%80%9318_Superleague_Greece#League_table

They'll be slight favourites but considering some of the draws we could have got, no reason to be fearful of them.

SunshineOnLeith
18-07-2018, 08:02 PM

Where did you see that? Trying to decide whether to stay in Tripolis or get back to Athens after the game and late kick off would be a factor!

DH1875
18-07-2018, 08:07 PM
I'm quietly confident that we can turn the Greek team over, seeded or not.
They're more experienced than us in Europe in recent times but having looked at their regular season performance I wasn't that impressed.
Admittedly I know very little about them but have a 'feeling' we'll do this.

Me too :agree:. So much so that Ive put off booking Greece and keeping the cash for the next round :pray:.

cleanyman
18-07-2018, 08:08 PM
They'll pump us.

I'll go for 4-1 on aggregate.

Hibernian Verse
18-07-2018, 08:08 PM
Where did you see that? Trying to decide whether to stay in Tripolis or get back to Athens after the game and late kick off would be a factor!It was on here yesterday somewhere. Can't remember where but defo saw it. Can you not get on one of the busses? We're heading back after the game.

greenpaper55
18-07-2018, 08:16 PM
This was them in March, not sure what to make of the quality.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6fmlwv

seanshow
18-07-2018, 09:00 PM

If that is the standard of greek football, I might have a cheeky 50p bet on the Hibees :faf:

Souter96Mac
18-07-2018, 09:08 PM
State of the defence and keepers in that clip..

H18 SFR
18-07-2018, 11:58 PM
I see they have been very active in the transfer window. Signed about 10 players.

Signed Argentinians and Spaniards.

Hermit Crab
19-07-2018, 12:22 AM

They look quite nippy going forward but the defending from both sides is terrible.

patlowe
19-07-2018, 06:48 AM

Some very strange defending in that video. If that's their general style then I'd suggest set pieces and Flo's physical appraoch will cause them lots of problems.

St Pauli Hibee
19-07-2018, 05:23 PM
KO Time for Return Leg in Greece seems to signal 20.00 Local Time. this is according to Wikipedia

MrRobot
19-07-2018, 05:42 PM
Why are we putting ourselves down against an unknown team? I think we have a great chance of progressing through.

BullsCloseHibs
19-07-2018, 07:28 PM
You get the feeling we will toil in Greece. Definitely need to improve before then and score a few at the Holy Ground.

Sammy7nil
19-07-2018, 08:30 PM
Why are we putting ourselves down against an unknown team? I think we have a great chance of progressing through.

They are not un known been in the group stages 3 times in the last five years l

SunshineOnLeith
19-07-2018, 09:58 PM

No they haven't.

Smartie
19-07-2018, 10:01 PM
You get the feeling we will toil in Greece. Definitely need to improve before then and score a few at the Holy Ground.

Away goals has been our undoing in the past.

It's our defending that needs to sharpen up the most for the game at Easter Road.

I have faith that we can score home and away.

Hibbyradge
19-07-2018, 10:06 PM
No they haven't.

Twice.

AFKA5814_Hibs
19-07-2018, 10:08 PM
Have to take a lead to Greece, preferably with a clean sheet. Will be tough over there. The game might be played late in the evening, but will still be very hot and humid. Might not be one of the more well known Greek sides, but have much more recent European experience than we have with some decent results.

Sammy7nil
19-07-2018, 10:10 PM
No they haven't.

Sorry it is only twice but that hardly makes them unknown no Scottish team out with the uglies has made it that far for years.

Hibbyradge
19-07-2018, 10:11 PM
I don't expect Hibs to progress, but we live in hope.

If Asteras Tripolis had spies at the game tonight, they'll have learned all the wrong things.

GreenCastle
19-07-2018, 10:11 PM
Don’t forget Brondby-played excellent away from home.

Issue was an early goal at home. But we also played well at home.

HibeEC
19-07-2018, 10:32 PM
Has anybody been messing with their Wikipedia page? it says they have a player on their books called Rooney W**kewai!!

Souter96Mac
19-07-2018, 10:38 PM
The decider will be how each team does in their away legs. It seems both us and Asteras have good home records.

hfc rd
19-07-2018, 10:41 PM
Winning the 1st leg with a clean sheet is a must.

HibeEC
19-07-2018, 10:49 PM
Our last three competitive games...

5-5
6-1
4-6

Dashing Bob S
19-07-2018, 10:54 PM
0-1 Hibs in Greece, 2-1 Hibs at ER agg: 3-1. They are not as good as Brondy who were very fortunate to progress against us.

hfc rd
19-07-2018, 10:57 PM
Don’t forget Brondby-played excellent away from home.

Issue was an early goal at home. But we also played well at home.

We should have gone through. So unlucky and I still can’t believe how Cummings was flagged offside in the 1st leg. Abysmal decision!

Hermit Crab
20-07-2018, 12:24 AM
KO Time for Return Leg in Greece seems to signal 20.00 Local Time. this is according to Wikipedia

21:45 local time.

MacBean
20-07-2018, 08:39 AM
Wonder when we'll hear about away tickets

Billy Whizz
20-07-2018, 08:47 AM
Wonder when we'll hear about away tickets

It will just be pay on the night, lucky if 2,000 will be at the game

Ozyhibby
20-07-2018, 08:47 AM
Their average gate is only 1800 so I can’t imagine their player budget is huge. We should def be capable of beating this team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smartie
20-07-2018, 08:59 AM
Their average gate is only 1800 so I can’t imagine their player budget is huge. We should def be capable of beating this team.

I heard that they have some sort of link-up in Argentina.

Players get taken to Greece to go in the shop window, are sold on for decent money with the money being put back into the club, and them some more highly-rated Argentinians come over.

We'd all expect to lose to Panathinaikos, but they finished 13 points and 6 places behind this team last season.

Small crowds yes, but they won't be mugs.

Not sure when their season starts, but I think the 2 ties we've already played will work to our advantage as we've already played some competitive football this season.

SunshineOnLeith
20-07-2018, 09:02 AM
I heard that they have some sort of link-up in Argentina.

Players get taken to Greece to go in the shop window, are sold on for decent money with the money being put back into the club, and them some more highly-rated Argentinians come over.

We'd all expect to lose to Panathinaikos, but they finished 13 points and 6 places behind this team last season.

Small crowds yes, but they won't be mugs.

Not sure when their season starts, but I think the 2 ties we've already played will work to our advantage as we've already played some competitive football this season.

Panathinaikos had 3 points deductions last season, two of them for financial reasons. Its fair to say they're not what they once were.

SunshineOnLeith
20-07-2018, 09:10 AM
If you look at their league performance the last few years they're basically a motherwell. Capable of a good season with European qualification, also capable of fighting relegation. We wouldn't take motherwell lightly over two legs but nor would we fear them.

'Sunny Motherwell', right, where do I apply for my job as head of the Tripolis tourist board?

Smartie
20-07-2018, 09:11 AM
Panathinaikos had 3 points deductions last season, two of them for financial reasons. Its fair to say they're not what they once were.

Fair point - and I wasn't aware of that.

My point is more that I don't think we should lightly dismiss a team who qualified from the Greek league (a pretty respectable standard of football) via league position just because they get very small crowds. They clearly have an alternative business model that doesn't rely so much on punters paying through the gate and should still be a fairly stern test.

blackpoolhibs
20-07-2018, 09:20 AM
Fair point - and I wasn't aware of that.

My point is more that I don't think we should lightly dismiss a team who qualified from the Greek league (a pretty respectable standard of football) via league position just because they get very small crowds. They clearly have an alternative business model that doesn't rely so much on punters paying through the gate and should still be a fairly stern test.

Not sure anyone is dismissing them, well apart from Bob, and Bobs Bob if you know what i mean. :greengrin

We will have a chance, they will probably be favorites, but in reality, we dont know what they are like, and as much as they might fancy their chances, we will also fancy ours.

Its not Juventus we are playing here, where we know before the start that we are getting pumped. If we could have taken anyone in those teams we could have drawn, these would have been up there who we'd rather have before some of the others.

Mind you if they do beat us, i can imagine the carnage on here. :greengrin

Smartie
20-07-2018, 09:26 AM
Not sure anyone is dismissing them, well apart from Bob, and Bobs Bob if you know what i mean. :greengrin

We will have a chance, they will probably be favorites, but in reality, we dont know what they are like, and as much as they might fancy their chances, we will also fancy ours.

Its not Juventus we are playing here, where we know before the start that we are getting pumped. If we could have taken anyone in those teams we could have drawn, these would have been up there who we'd rather have before some of the others.

I think it will be close - it will be a good result if we beat them (not a wildly amazing one) and there shouldn't be carnage if we lose.

There are a few teams in this competition that we'd expect to lose to, but the Brondby game (and the fact that they went on to beat Hertha Berlin in the next round) gave us hope that we should at least be going toe to toe with most teams in this competition without fear.

Gatecrasher
20-07-2018, 09:27 AM

Depends on how good they are, when we played Maribor they were an unknown team but at the end everyone knew they were a class above.

makaveli1875
20-07-2018, 09:30 AM
Being honest all 3 Scottish clubs are up against it in the Europa , the huns will struggle against the Croatian team , we will struggle against the Greeks and the sheep have pretty much no chance .

Smartie
20-07-2018, 09:34 AM
Depends on how good they are, when we played Maribor they were an unknown team but at the end everyone knew they were a class above.

It's hard not to see the ties through the eyes of a Hibs fan, but I thought both Maribor and Malmo were superb.

They both went on to have relative success as teams, and several individual players from those teams went on to do well for themselves.

Asteras might be the same. They might not.

blackpoolhibs
20-07-2018, 09:38 AM

Maribor had beaten some very good sides previous to us playing them, one of them sevco. I think we knew we'd be up against it before we played them.

But this Greek side are a team i have never heard of before, but looking at their results, its nowhere near as impressive as Maribor or Malmo or indeed Bronby.

Diclonius
20-07-2018, 09:40 AM
Based on their average attendances, it looks like we're playing the Greek equivalent of "Hamilton but with TV money".

nonshinyfinish
20-07-2018, 09:45 AM
They look quite nippy going forward but the defending from both sides is terrible.

I imagine this sentiment might be repeated on asteras.net today if they’ve watched our highlights…

Gatecrasher
20-07-2018, 09:49 AM
Maribor had beaten some very good sides previous to us playing them, one of them sevco. I think we knew we'd be up against it before we played them.

But this Greek side are a team i have never heard of before, but looking at their results, its nowhere near as impressive as Maribor or Malmo or indeed Bronby.

To me they were a complete unknown. I had never heard of them before.
We played them before rangers, I remember speaking to a rangers fan about how good they were, they found out themselves when they were put out.

CapitalGreen
20-07-2018, 09:54 AM

21:45 local time.

Kick off is 7pm UK Time, 9pm Local Time.

https://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaleague/season=2019/matches/#/rd/2000987/2

blackpoolhibs
20-07-2018, 09:59 AM
To me they were a complete unknown. I had never heard of them before.
We played them before rangers, I remember speaking to a rangers fan about how good they were, they found out themselves when they were put out.

My mistake, i thought we played them after they had. I remember looking up who they'd played and their results, and thinking this is a decent side.

I had heard of them, but knew they were not giants off European football. They have had some good results over the years, and are consistently in Europe, and more recently they have been in the Champions league.

I went out there for the game, and while speaking to a few of their fans, was told their main men were on wages we could easily afford these days, not sure why we dont target similar types, or if their coaching is better, climate better or the way of life is better?

CapitalGreen
20-07-2018, 10:11 AM
My mistake, i thought we played them after they had. I remember looking up who they'd played and their results, and thinking this is a decent side.

I had heard of them, but knew they were not giants off European football. They have had some good results over the years, and are consistently in Europe, and more recently they have been in the Champions league.

I went out there for the game, and while speaking to a few of their fans, was told their main men were on wages we could easily afford these days, not sure why we dont target similar types, or if their coaching is better, climate better or the way of life is better?

They played Palermo in the round after us who subsequently signed 3 of their main guys. One of them Ilicic cost a reported €2.3m and Bacinovic a reported €1.5m.

bingo70
20-07-2018, 10:23 AM
Something that could make the difference in the away leg is Mallans shooting ability from distance.

Last season we never had that so we really had to create chances by getting in behind defences. In theory, in the away leg we could be getting battered but then Mallan strikes one from distance and we've got a big advantage. Having a goal threat like that could be a huge difference for us this season.

We were absolutely dreadful at free kicks last season.

Smartie
20-07-2018, 10:35 AM
Something that could make the difference in the away leg is Mallans shooting ability from distance.

Last season we never had that so we really had to create chances by getting in behind defences. In theory, in the away leg we could be getting battered but then Mallan strikes one from distance and we've got a big advantage. Having a goal threat like that could be a huge difference for us this season.

We were absolutely dreadful at free kicks last season.

Flo's ability to draw a foul and Mallan's ability to hit a free-kick could be a devastating combination.

Smartie
20-07-2018, 10:37 AM

Kamberi, Marciano, Slivka, McLaren?

blackpoolhibs
20-07-2018, 10:59 AM
They played Palermo in the round after us who subsequently signed 3 of their main guys. One of them Ilicic cost a reported €2.3m and Bacinovic a reported €1.5m.

Good business from them, as i'd imagine those they sold were the guys we were talking about. Apparently their players were on around 4 thousand euros a month then, wages i'd have thought the likes of Stokes Riordan and Nish were comfortably beating at the time.

blackpoolhibs
20-07-2018, 11:02 AM
Kamberi, Marciano, Slivka, McLaren?

Aye we seem to be after those types now, what i should have said was then. It seemed strange how their players were technically superior to ours, yet their wages were nothing special.

And they'd brought them in from abroad without a huge tv deal to subsidise them?

Smartie
20-07-2018, 11:07 AM
Aye we seem to be after those types now, what i should have said was then. It seemed strange how their players were technically superior to ours, yet their wages were nothing special.

And they'd brought them in from abroad without a huge tv deal to subsidise them?

The difference in technical ability between us and Maribor was astounding.

Was Tavares the attacking midfielder who scored a cracker? Him, Ilicic plus a couple more looked several levels above our players, and we'd have had Riordan, Liam Miller and a few other decent players playing.

I'm sure the home leg vs Maribor was when De Graaf made his debut, so I suppose he was the high profile signing from overseas who was supposed to be on the same level as those players.

It would be fair to say he wasn't.

blackpoolhibs
20-07-2018, 11:10 AM

Was Tavares the attacking midfielder who scored a cracker? Him, Ilicic plus a couple more looked several levels above our players, and we'd have had Riordan, Liam Miller and a few other decent players playing.

I'm sure the home leg vs Maribor was when De Graaf made his debut, so I suppose he was the high profile signing from overseas who was supposed to be on the same level as those players.

Aye Tavarez, good player, was he not Brazillian?

Centre Hawf
20-07-2018, 12:04 PM

Did De Graaf not end up scoring 2 that night? But you're right it was frightening just how superior they were to us on a technical level. Made the game look so easy.

MrRobot
20-07-2018, 12:18 PM

I havent heard of them, much like I can imagine most Hibs fans havent. So I would sya they are unknown.

Lancs Harp
20-07-2018, 12:22 PM
I think they played Spurs in the Europa league a few years back. Thats about all my knowledge about them, looking forward to it should be a decent and interesting couple of games.

Hermit Crab
20-07-2018, 03:25 PM
I think they played Spurs in the Europa league a few years back. Thats about all my knowledge about them, looking forward to it should be a decent and interesting couple of games.

They did and Asteris lost 7-2 on aggregate . 1-2 in Greece and 5-1 at the lane. That was 2014.

Also they were group matches.

ian cruise
20-07-2018, 03:39 PM
So out of who we have at the minute, what's out strongest starting line up for this? Assuming Paul and Daz recover I'd suggest.

Bogdan
Efe Daz Hanlon
Gray Stevenson
Slivka
Mallan Swanson
Boyle Flo

GloryGlory
20-07-2018, 03:46 PM
So out of who we have at the minute, what's out strongest starting line up for this? Assuming Paul and Daz recover I'd suggest.

Bogdan
Efe Daz Hanlon
Gray Stevenson
Slivka
Mallan Swanson
Boyle Flo

McGinn for Swanson.

flash

Bogdan
Efe Daz Hanlon
Gray Stevenson
Slivka
Mallan Swanson
Boyle Flo

Think SJM might sneak into our best 11.

we are hibs
They did and Asteris lost 7-2 on aggregate . 1-2 in Greece and 5-1 at the lane. That was 2014.

Also they were group matches.

Harry Kane ended up in goals for that 5-1 game

ian cruise
20-07-2018, 03:52 PM
Think SJM might sneak into our best 11.

I knew I was missing someone pretty important, I actually put that at the end of my post originally then deleted it before I hit submit. As I said on another post, it's been a long week

Hermit Crab
20-07-2018, 04:08 PM
Harry Kane ended up in goals for that 5-1 game

He got a hatrick that night as well.

Ozyhibby
22-07-2018, 10:09 PM
Have the Greek team played any friendlies yet? How have they got on?

Hermit Crab
22-07-2018, 10:27 PM
Have the Greek team played any friendlies yet? How have they got on?

They've played 3 and won them all.

Bytovia Bytow 1-2 Atseras

Lechia Gdansk 0-1 Asteras

Asteras 2-1 Hapoel Ra'anana

Ozyhibby
22-07-2018, 11:04 PM
They've played 3 and won them all.

Bytovia Bytow 1-2 Atseras

Lechia Gdansk 0-1 Asteras

Asteras 2-1 Hapoel Ra'anana

Solid results especially the Gdańsk one.

Hermit Crab
22-07-2018, 11:18 PM

Yes but to be fair that Hapoel team finished near the bottom of the Israeli league. We dont know what sort of team they faced, could have been reserves for all we know.

Gloucester Hibs
23-07-2018, 01:20 AM
We shouldn’t be underestimating them of course, and it’s a difficult thing to measure, but we have a number of current and former internationalists in our squad, not sure how many they’ve got.

Future17
23-07-2018, 05:14 AM

Lechia were almost relegated last season. I don't think they're at a great standard.

calumhibee1
23-07-2018, 06:22 AM

Bogdan
Efe Daz Hanlon
Gray Stevenson
Slivka
Mallan Swanson
Boyle Flo

I also reckon something along these lines. I don’t think Shaw is ready for European level yet and he’d be a bit of a wasted jersey. Although he had a shocker the other day I’d put Whittaker in for Swanson and swap him and Slivka position wise. Other than that, I’d go with the exact same as you.

Edit: somehow forgot about McGinn. Whittaker out McGinn in :greengrin

Ozyhibby
23-07-2018, 07:07 AM
The Greeks have named their squad for Thursday.

LIST A
Terminals
1. Nikos Papadopoulos, 30. Giorgos Athanasiadis
DEFENSE
2. Patricio Matricardi, 3. Christos Tasoulis, 4. Triantafyllos Pasalidis, 5. Kostas Triantafyllopoulos, 27. Yannis Kotsiras, 33. Angel Martinez, 38. Robert Kumadey, 77. Giorgos Kyriakopoulos
MEDIA
6. Luis Valiente, 7. Marc Fernandez, 8. Juan Munafo, 14. Franco Bellocq, 16. Lucas Salas, 19. Kosmas Tsilianidis, 21. Panos Tzimas, 22. Martin Rolle, 23. Nikos Kaltsas, 29. Kyriakos Glezos, 90. Giannis Bastiano
SURGICAL
11. Michael Manias, 12. Eva Rooney, 28. Tasos Doukikas

St Pauli Hibee
23-07-2018, 07:10 AM
The Greeks have named their squad for Thursday.

LIST A
Terminals
1. Nikos Papadopoulos, 30. Giorgos Athanasiadis
DEFENSE
2. Patricio Matricardi, 3. Christos Tasoulis, 4. Triantafyllos Pasalidis, 5. Kostas Triantafyllopoulos, 27. Yannis Kotsiras, 33. Angel Martinez, 38. Robert Kumadey, 77. Giorgos Kyriakopoulos
MEDIA
6. Luis Valiente, 7. Marc Fernandez, 8. Juan Munafo, 14. Franco Bellocq, 16. Lucas Salas, 19. Kosmas Tsilianidis, 21. Panos Tzimas, 22. Martin Rolle, 23. Nikos Kaltsas, 29. Kyriakos Glezos, 90. Giannis Bastiano
SURGICAL
11. Michael Manias, 12. Eva Rooney, 28. Tasos Doukikas

Terminal, Media & Surgical. Do these folk all work for the NHS :wink:

1van Sprou7e
23-07-2018, 07:37 AM
Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere but any chance of the south being opened for this game?

CapitalGreen
23-07-2018, 07:43 AM
Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere but any chance of the south being opened for this game?

Yes there is always a chance when it hasn’t been fully allocated to away fans.

one day maybe...
23-07-2018, 09:23 AM
I’m currently in Greece anyone know if the game at Easter Road will be shown on a Greek Sports channel. Any advice on this would be great

calumhibee1
23-07-2018, 09:24 AM
I’m currently in Greece anyone know if the game at Easter Road will be shown on a Greek Sports channel. Any advice on this would be great

You would be able to sign up to a months Hibs TV using the international subscription. No idea if it’s on tele over there though.

BullsCloseHibs
23-07-2018, 10:00 AM
Been looking at Tripoli website and there is hardly anything about the game. Poor poor website it is.

BullsCloseHibs
23-07-2018, 10:00 AM
You would be able to sign up to a months Hibs TV using the international subscription. No idea if it’s on tele over there though.

I'd be surprised if it wasn't on Greek TV

CropleyWasGod
23-07-2018, 10:01 AM
I'd be surprised if it wasn't on Greek TV

I would be. I thought that Premier Sports and the likes had the rights to the Europa League.

CapitalGreen
23-07-2018, 10:10 AM

One of the bookies websites might be showing it.

bingo70
23-07-2018, 08:01 PM
Anyone know if they’re likely to bring many fans with them?

Wonder if they’ll be in the south or a handful in the west upper line was the case with Dnipro?

hfc rd
23-07-2018, 08:05 PM

Wonder if they’ll be in the south or a handful in the west upper line was the case with Dnipro?

I don’t know how many. Reckon they will be in the south stand as can’t currently buy tickets in that end. If they were in the west, the south stand will probably be open already.

Gmack7
23-07-2018, 08:09 PM
hopefully the bookies are right we're slight favourite on Thursday

Souter96Mac
23-07-2018, 08:21 PM

They only manage a thousand or two home fans, can't see there being many.

CapitalGreen
23-07-2018, 08:23 PM

Not many I’d imagine. Below is their support for their game at White Hart Lane, arguably their biggest away European away tie ever.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-3FYjE5HYiXQ/VE1huUuYttI/AAAAAAAAbyc/yuniA90XigY/s1600/kerki_antigrafi_1.jpg

snooky
23-07-2018, 09:29 PM
Not many I’d imagine. Below is their support for their game at White Hart Lane, arguably their biggest away European away tie ever.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-3FYjE5HYiXQ/VE1huUuYttI/AAAAAAAAbyc/yuniA90XigY/s1600/kerki_antigrafi_1.jpg

How do you know there wasn't a short hiatus to go for pies?

basehibby
23-07-2018, 10:02 PM

Find a decent sports bar in your resort and ask about it in advance - its on Premier Sports via Sky I think (check the official site). I did this last week in Crete and watched the away leg in the Faeros without any problem - they were very accommodating and I'd imagine most sports bars in resorts will be the same. They are there to please the tourists after all.

Hibbyradge
23-07-2018, 11:09 PM
Astera in Greek means "star" so their name means Tripolis Stars.

Thought you'd like to know.

danhibees1875
23-07-2018, 11:43 PM
Asters in Greek means "star" so their name means Tripolis Stars.

Thought you'd like to know.

Presumably where the word asterisk comes from.

Hibbyradge
23-07-2018, 11:50 PM
Presumably where the word asterisk comes from.

Good thinking, Dan.

Edit: I meant to type Astera not Asters.

jgl07
24-07-2018, 07:09 AM
Find a decent sports bar in your resort and ask about it in advance - its on Premier Sports via Sky I think (check the official site). I did this last week in Crete and watched the away leg in the Faeros without any problem - they were very accommodating and I'd imagine most sports bars in resorts will be the same. They are there to please the tourists after all.

When we were in Athens a few years ago we went to the Athens Sports Bar and asked if they were screening Rangers v Hibs. They weren’t glinting to but they would because we asked.

Speedy
24-07-2018, 07:12 AM
Terminal, Media & Surgical. Do these folk all work for the NHS :wink:

We should probably expect some clinical finishing

CropleyWasGod
24-07-2018, 07:19 AM
Presumably where the word asterisk comes from.You have the gall to post that?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Allant1981
24-07-2018, 08:47 AM

dont think the home tie is on premier

Future17
24-07-2018, 09:40 AM
You have the gall to post that?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Very good! :-)

GloryGlory
24-07-2018, 09:50 AM

:agree: They've already paid for the service, so if they get you to hang around for an extra couple of hours they'll sell more drink (and food) so quids in! :greengrin

jgl07
24-07-2018, 12:03 PM
I would be. I thought that Premier Sports and the likes had the rights to the Europa League.

The TV rights are sold separately to each country.

Mick O'Rourke
24-07-2018, 12:06 PM

That surprises me (fan numbers)
I worked in North London many years ago and the area i stayed in had a sizeable Greek community.
Certainly i remember quite a number of Greek restaurants and cafes.
The cafes were like local community centres for them with card schools at the back of some !

I suppose they must be glory hunters and support the big Athens teams.

Ozyhibby
24-07-2018, 12:42 PM
With black armbands, ASTERAS against Hibernian
FC ASTERAS TRIPOLIS, with a written request to UEFA, requested in the fight with Hibernian that our team's players fight with black armbands, as a sign of mourning for the tragedy with the dozens dead from the fires in Greece.
The European federation immediately accepted ASTER's request.
This move is the minimum that we could do in these very difficult times for the families of people who left so unfairly in life.

————
From their website

inglisavhibs
24-07-2018, 12:53 PM

Saw them playing Apoel in Cyprus back in October 2015, I think it was a group stage match. Decent standard and Tripolis started the match really well taking the lead early on with a good crisp passing move. They maintained this standard until midway through the first half when the floodlights failed and the players were taken off. When the match resumed Apoel took over and deservedly won the match 2-1. Remember thinking at time that they were ahead of all Scottish teams bar Celtic, but we are a better team now and you would expect a close game.

hfc rd
24-07-2018, 04:45 PM
Seen a group of about 9-10 Asteras fans at the ground today when I was at the ticket office sorting out my tickets for Thursday. They were taking photos of ER. The big poster of David Gray lifting the cup @ the F5 and all of them posing for selfies @ the west stand with the club logo and name. Seen them head over to the club shop once I had got my tickets sorted.

inglisavhibs
24-07-2018, 05:12 PM
Seen a group of about 9-10 Asteras fans at the ground today when I was at the ticket office sorting out my tickets for Thursday. They were taking photos of ER. The big poster of David Gray lifting the cup @ the F5 and all of them posing for selfies @ the west stand with the club logo and name. Seen them head over to the club shop once I had got my tickets sorted.

They didn't have many at Apoel and that was almost a derby!

hfc rd
26-07-2018, 11:50 AM
Just seen that Asteras are going to be without 3 of their new signings tonight.

Full backs Christos Tasoulis and Valentin Vlachos and new Spanish midfielder Marc Fernandez

Billy Whizz
26-07-2018, 11:56 AM

Full backs Christos Tasoulis and Valentin Vlachos and new Spanish midfielder Marc Fernandez

Injured or not match fit?

Hermit Crab
26-07-2018, 01:12 PM

Same mind games as Hearts. :greengrin

St Pauli Hibee
26-07-2018, 01:17 PM

Im pretty sure they are also missing their captain Walter Iglesias