PDA

View Full Version : Europa League First Qualifying Round

Famous Fiver
13-07-2018, 09:35 AM
I was having a look over last night's results.

It seems to me that there is a great difference in quality in the teams taking part in the first round.

For instance, Maribor were in first round action yet teams like Runavik are in there as well. Maribor have a Champions League pedigree. Thankfully we did not get drawn against them.

Can't really complain that we got 14,000+ and almost a guaranteed passage to the next round but it appears odd that teams as widely different in quality such as Maribor and Runavik are given equal status.

CapitalGreen
13-07-2018, 09:37 AM
I was having a look over last night's results.

It seems to me that there is a great difference in quality in the teams taking part in the first round.

For instance, Maribor were in first round action yet teams like Runavik are in there as well. Maribor have a Champions League pedigree. Thankfully we did not get drawn against them.

Can't really complain that we got 14,000+ and almost a guaranteed passage to the next round but it appears odd that teams as widely different in quality such as Maribor and Runavik are given equal status.

The draw was seeded so we wouldn't have been drawn against them.

Speedy
13-07-2018, 09:41 AM
I was looking at the draw dates etc. last night and it looks like there is a chance we could be seeded for the 3rd round (which is drawn on 23rd July before the 2nd round kicks off) based on the Greek team's ranking.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018%E2%80%9319_UEFA_Europa_League#Third_qualifyin g_round

It currently says TBD, does anyone know what needs to happen for us/them to be seeded?

Hibernian Verse
13-07-2018, 09:41 AM
I was looking at the draw dates etc. last night and it looks like there is a chance we could be seeded for the 3rd round (which is drawn on 23rd July before the 2nd round kicks off) based on the Greek team's ranking.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018%E2%80%9319_UEFA_Europa_League#Third_qualifyin g_round

It currently says TBD, does anyone know what needs to happen for us/them to be seeded?

Winners of 7 matches CC: TBD
involving Denmark Copenhagen, Slovenia Maribor, Israel Maccabi Tel Aviv, Serbia Partizan, Norway Molde, Cyprus Apollon Limassol, Belarus Dinamo Minsk, or their first round opponents

These teams (or some of them) need pumped out this round.

Mikey09
13-07-2018, 09:43 AM
Was a complete mis match last night. Liked the look of the young lad Knudson. Good player.

Speedy
13-07-2018, 10:12 AM
Winners of 7 matches CC: TBD
involving Denmark Copenhagen, Slovenia Maribor, Israel Maccabi Tel Aviv, Serbia Partizan, Norway Molde, Cyprus Apollon Limassol, Belarus Dinamo Minsk, or their first round opponents

These teams (or some of them) need pumped out this round.

Aye, think you're right. Need 3 of the following 6 out:

Copenhagen (1-0 up), Maribor (1-0 up), Maccabi Tel Aviv (1-1), Partizan (3-0 up), Molde (2-1 down), Apollon Limassol (1-0 down)

Wilson
13-07-2018, 10:43 AM
Aye, think you're right. Need 3 of the following 6 out:

Copenhagen (1-0 up), Maribor (1-0 up), Maccabi Tel Aviv (1-1), Partizan (3-0 up), Molde (2-1 down), Apollon Limassol (1-0 down)

Copenhagen and Maribor will be okay. Partizan too just on their scoreline. It will have to be 3 from 3 with the others for me. Tel Aviv lucky to be going in level. Left it very late...