PDA

View Full Version : England Semi

Pages : [1] 2

Dan Sarf
09-07-2018, 10:26 AM
An English work friend of mine has 2 tickets for the semi final on Wednesday when England play Croatia. He paid £300 each including flights but he didn't realise when he bought them months ago that it was going to be the same day as his wedding! If you are interested, he is looking for someone to take his place.

It's at Croydon Registry Office, at 4pm. The bride's name is Nicola -- she's 5'4", about 8 stone, quite pretty, and is a really good cook. PM me for more details.

HH81
09-07-2018, 10:37 AM
I had the same one but the marriage was in Bradford. Get about do these Nicola's.

BullsCloseHibs
09-07-2018, 07:01 PM
Unless you were of that persuasion, why on earth would want to pay and travel to watch THEM?

CropleyWasGod
09-07-2018, 07:01 PM
Unless you were of that persuasion, why on earth would want to pay and travel to watch THEM?Whoosh?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

1875godsgift
09-07-2018, 10:06 PM
Unless you were of that persuasion, why on earth would want to pay and travel to watch THEM?

:agree: Exactly. Once you've seen one wedding, you've seen them all IMHO.

Nevi_SOL
09-07-2018, 10:40 PM
:agree: Exactly. Once you've seen one wedding, you've seen them all IMHO.

😂😂

Hibbyradge
09-07-2018, 11:38 PM

:faf:

Hi Heid Yin
09-07-2018, 11:42 PM
An English work friend of mine has 2 tickets for the semi final on Wednesday when England play Croatia. He paid £300 each including flights but he didn't realise when he bought them months ago that it was going to be the same day as his wedding! If you are interested, he is looking for someone to take his place.

It's at Croydon Registry Office, at 4pm. The bride's name is Nicola -- she's 5'4", about 8 stone, quite pretty, and is a really good cook. PM me for more details.

:tee hee::tee hee:

Haymaker
10-07-2018, 02:28 AM
My two English colleagues are working a tournament on Sunday, they're raging. Trying to get me to cover the games.

HoboHarry
10-07-2018, 03:46 AM
If I ever got a semi watching England play I would sincerely hope that the wife would take me into the back garden and shoot me......

DetroitHibs
10-07-2018, 05:03 AM
If I ever got a semi watching England play I would sincerely hope that the wife would take me into the back garden and shoot me......

Hopefully she'd have the common courtesy to take care of your semi first and then shoot you :wink:

Nameless
10-07-2018, 06:42 AM
It's becoming a bit nauseating, the media (BBC are the worst for this) constantly referring to England as "The Three Lions" - when did this become a thing?

Also noticed a fair few stories about English fans rampaging around their own towns after England wins - it's reassuring to see some things never change. I hope they lose to Croatia, but it doesn't matter, as they would get horses in the final by either France or Belgium anyway.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

Ken
10-07-2018, 07:10 AM
It's becoming a bit nauseating, the media (BBC are the worst for this) constantly referring to England as "The Three Lions" - when did this become a thing?

Also noticed a fair few stories about English fans rampaging around their own towns after England wins - it's reassuring to see some things never change. I hope they lose to Croatia, but it doesn't matter, as they would get horses in the final by either France or Belgium anyway.

Agree, neigh chance of them winning it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AltheHibby
10-07-2018, 08:33 AM

To be fair, other English people are crowd funding to pay for the damage as they are embarrassed by the behaviour.

And, yes, they might get "horses". Apparently horse meat is a delicacy around those parts. 😋

Danderhall Hibs
10-07-2018, 08:52 AM

k

1996 - when the song came out I think?

Jim44
10-07-2018, 09:23 AM
England semi? You would think they were excited enough to get a full blown one. :greengrin

Chic Murray
10-07-2018, 10:00 AM

It might be quite a good laugh.

Edinburgh Green
10-07-2018, 10:37 AM
Not been this nervous over a semi since I watched Brokeback Mountain!

Nameless
10-07-2018, 10:40 AM
The line is in the song, but the England team have never been referred to as "The Three Lions" prior to this tournament.
1996 - when the song came out I think?

Famous Fiver
10-07-2018, 10:47 AM
I might be accused of being a bitter twisted Scot but a combnation of a relatively easy group,and the luck of the draw has landed them in the semi finals.

My opinion is that the first half decent team they meet will put them away.

Step forward Croatia.

All this Waistcoat Wednesday , cancel Wimbledon, close the stores early nonsense will evaporate and Mr Southgate will be rounded on by a public which has been whipped into a false sense of expectancy and triumphalism.

Feels better to have got that off my chest!

Michael
10-07-2018, 10:56 AM
The line is in the song, but the England team have never been referred to as "The Three Lions" prior to this tournament.

Quick Google proves otherwise.

Nameless
10-07-2018, 11:00 AM
To be fair, other English people are crowd funding to pay for the damage as they are embarrassed by the behaviour.

You're assuming the crowd funders are English - I reckon they are ex-pat Japanese, given their behaviour at the World Cup!

Nameless
10-07-2018, 11:01 AM
Quick Google proves otherwise.How so?

essexhibee
10-07-2018, 11:08 AM
I might be accused of being a bitter twisted Scot but a combnation of a relatively easy group,and the luck of the draw has landed them in the semi finals.

Step forward Croatia.

All this Waistcoat Wednesday , cancel Wimbledon, close the stores early nonsense will evaporate and Mr Southgate will be rounded on by a public which has been whipped into a false sense of expectancy and triumphalism.

I really hope so. I just feel something in my waters that they are going to do it and it feels like watching a slow car crash.

Luckily I escaped to Crete on Friday. It was already unbearable living down in England prior to the quarter so god knows what it's like now.

Michael
10-07-2018, 11:08 AM
How so?

You can use search tools to restrict searches to particular years.

Nameless
10-07-2018, 11:11 AM
You can use search tools to restrict searches to particular years.That's beyond my techie skills.

If they have been referred to in the past as The Three Lions, I've missed it - possibly because they always get papped out the cup long before now, so it doesn't get over used :-)

heretoday
10-07-2018, 11:17 AM
I really hope so. I just feel something in my waters that they are going to do it and it feels like watching a slow car crash.

Luckily I escaped to Crete on Friday. It was already unbearable living down in England prior to the quarter so god knows what it's like now.

Don't worry. They'll get to the final but end up humped by France or Belgium. No need for penalties. Enjoy your holiday.

Michael
10-07-2018, 11:25 AM
That's beyond my techie skills.

If they have been referred to in the past as The Three Lions, I've missed it - possibly because they always get papped out the cup long before now, so it doesn't get over used :-)

Is probably more common now, to be fair.

AltheHibby
10-07-2018, 11:25 AM
You're assuming the crowd funders are English - I reckon they are ex-pat Japanese, given their behaviour at the World Cup!

Good point re the Japanese, who must be the best fans I have ever seen. 😁

surreyhibbie
10-07-2018, 11:42 AM

Really Really Unbearable. Trust me.

Pretty Boy
10-07-2018, 12:04 PM
I'm quite pleased to see things like shops having plans in place to close early if England reach the final. It's a pretty major event and it's good to see employers actually considering their staff albeit there is likely a realisation they won't be too busy anyway.

We had a family event at the weekend and a few of the people attending were English. They were quite obviously excited about their chances after seeing their team beat Sweden relatively comfortably; it's a first WC semi final in nearly 3 decades, you'd have to be a pretty miserable ******* not to be excited. Of course it could all come crashing down but I can't imagine people in Brussels, Paris or Zagreb are any less excited right now and every single side has every right to believe they can go all the way now.

WhileTheChief..
10-07-2018, 12:10 PM
My employer has announced everyone gets the day off on Monday if England win.

More than happy to support them :)

SirDavidsNapper
10-07-2018, 12:44 PM
'It's coming home' is up there with '#letsgo' and 'goingfor55' in the annoying stakes.

darwenhibby
10-07-2018, 12:50 PM
Really Really Unbearable. Trust me.

Aye unbearable and on top of that I have to contend with Blackburn beating us on Sunday
My youngest refused to go to school yesterday

Michael
10-07-2018, 01:00 PM
'It's coming home' is up there with '#letsgo' and 'goingfor55' in the annoying stakes.

I don't know. "It's coming home" is mainly used in an ironic sense which I quite like. Everyone knows it won't happen.

we are hibs
10-07-2018, 01:05 PM
I don't know. "It's coming home" is mainly used in an ironic sense which I quite like. Everyone knows it won't happen.

I don't think that's true tbh. I think they genuinely believe they're going to win it. Which will make their tears all the sweeter

Keith_M
10-07-2018, 01:13 PM
In all fairness, I think they've done very well.

However, Belgium are going to win the tournament.

Newry Hibs
10-07-2018, 01:21 PM

Wait until they lose (please).

Chic Murray
10-07-2018, 01:23 PM
I don't think that's true tbh. I think they genuinely believe they're going to win it. Which will make their tears all the sweeter

Doesn't make us any less pathetic at football though, does it?

Oscar T Grouch
10-07-2018, 01:33 PM

Ironically the creatures on their badge aren't actually called lions, they are leopards (in heraldic terms). Only Scotland, Northern Ireland, Alderney and the British Antarctic territory (edit and the UK of course) has lions on their coat of arms within the UK and her dependencies. (I thank QI for this useless piece of knowledge:greengrin )

Since90+2
10-07-2018, 01:34 PM
The best side they have beaten in 90 minutes is an average Swedish team. I actually think they have done quite well and the manager and team all seem fairly likeable but I genuinely don't think they will win it as they don't have enough quality overall.

Kato
10-07-2018, 01:51 PM
Ironically the creatures on their badge aren't actually called lions, they are leopards (in heraldic terms). Only Scotland, Northern Ireland, Alderney and the British Antarctic territory (edit and the UK of course) has lions on their coat of arms within the UK and her dependencies. (I thank QI for this useless piece of knowledge:greengrin )

Was taught exactly this at primary school, three leopards couchant.

davhibby
10-07-2018, 01:52 PM
They've played pretty well and are a good team but the fact is that they've managed to get to this stage without playing a decent team(Belgium game discounted as both were trying to lose that one). Just makes all the fawning over everything the players do a little more unbearable. At least if they were to win it they'll have to have beaton 2 good sides in the last 2 games. Glad we've got Hibs to take the mind off of it if they do it though

Lago
10-07-2018, 01:53 PM
They have a very good chance of winning it & yes some do believe it's a given.

Scouse Hibee
10-07-2018, 02:01 PM

Of course they have

Scouse Hibee
10-07-2018, 02:02 PM

What’s wrong with believing you can win it?

Father Ted
10-07-2018, 02:12 PM
Can this be moved to elsewhere due to NHC

CockneyRebel
10-07-2018, 02:16 PM

Some info on this (I must get out more).

The English FA have stated that the three lions come from the standard carried into battle by English Kings. Henry 1 (known as the Lion Of England) had one lion on his standard then added another when marrying a wife with a lion on her family crest. Henry 11 added a third lion for the same reason and Richard 1 carried the 3 lions on his standard which showed 3 gold lions on a red background and this then appeared on all future Royal coats of arms. The FA decide that it was fitting for this to be part of the team badge and a slightly different one for the Cricket team.

Some historians speculate that lions were not known in the time of Henry 1 etc. but history shows that Henry 1 was known as the Lion of England which would have been extremely difficult if lions were not known. The QI programme stated that some historians believed that they were leopards or another similar sounding name but if lions were not known why would leopards be known? They both come from Africa.

The bottom line here is surely that if they have been called lions and believed to be lions for all these years what is the problem?

we are hibs
10-07-2018, 02:22 PM
Doesn't make us any less pathetic at football though, does it?

I'm not sure what your point is or whether it has anything to do with what I said.

They have a very good chance of winning it & yes some do believe it's a given.

They won't win it though. That's the bottom line.

Nothing. But it's going to be hilarious when they don't as they've convinced themselves it's 100% happening when it's still unlikely they will.

Jones28
10-07-2018, 02:23 PM

I just spat irn bru over the steering wheel

erin go bragh
10-07-2018, 02:24 PM
Tbh you have been overconfident of winning every tournament you have entered after 66 .
All this “it’s coming home pissss “ stinks of arrogance akin to how most Germans come across.
We the Scots first invented football 😜
Yes you have very good chance to get to the final , but let’s be honest, you have not beat a decent team yet .
Hibs /Scotland fans can win and lose with a bit class . The same cannot be said of England fans .

CockneyRebel
10-07-2018, 02:28 PM
I'm not sure what your point is or whether it has anything to do with what I said.

Nothing. But it's going to be hilarious when they don't as 1. they've convinced themselves it's 100% happening when it's still 2. unlikely they will.

1. How many? have you done a poll? what is the count? Pure propaganda.
2. You're still not sure then?

Iggy Pope
10-07-2018, 02:29 PM
I'm down south now and it's really horrible. Unbearable. Full of ****s.

And the football isn't helping either.

Peevemor
10-07-2018, 02:30 PM

:hilarious

CockneyRebel
10-07-2018, 02:33 PM
Tbh you have been overconfident of winning every tournament you have entered after 66 .
All this “it’s coming home pissss “ stinks of arrogance akin to how most Germans come across.
Yes you have very good chance to get to the final , but let’s be honest, you have not beat a decent team yet .
Hibs /Scotland fans can win and lose with a bit class . The same cannot be said of England fans .

The poster actually asked what was wrong in believing you can win it? You did not answer that.

AltheHibby
10-07-2018, 02:40 PM

Nobody I have spoken to around the Midlands believes it's a given. They Hope and believe that England will win, but no one I've spoken to has said other than "here's hoping".

SRHibs
10-07-2018, 02:43 PM
We really are a bitter bunch.

The “It’s coming home” stuff is just a bit of hopeful fun. Don’t get me wrong I think it’ll be a laugh when they lose, but some people are a bit OTT.

Chic Murray
10-07-2018, 02:45 PM

Nothing. But it's going to be hilarious when they don't as they've convinced themselves it's 100% happening when it's still unlikely they will.

Your enemies failure doesn't make you a success.
If you get off on other people's disappointment, that's up to you.

ancient hibee
10-07-2018, 02:46 PM
England fans saying they are going to win are no different to the balloons on here who thought all we had to do to beat Hearts at Tynecastle was to turn up.

Nameless
10-07-2018, 02:47 PM
Of course they haveI've no recollection of them ever being referred to as that, but I'll bow to your knowledge on the subject, given that you follow Englan...Sorry, I mean The Three Lions ;-)

Chic Murray
10-07-2018, 02:48 PM

If you get off on other people's disappointment, that's up to you..

bod
10-07-2018, 02:49 PM
it'l be sheer hell if England win the world cup , rammed down our throats at every football game an English team play

IGRIGI
10-07-2018, 02:54 PM
I'm almost edging towards wanting them to get to the Final to see them humped senseless by France or Belgium.

I'd love to see a total bloodbath on the pitch, a real 3 or 4 pumping by the first decent team they've come up against.

Men women and children from Carlisle to Torquay greetin' and depressed for weeks on end, it would be glorious.

Nameless
10-07-2018, 02:57 PM

And the football isn't helping either.That made me chuckle!

we are hibs
10-07-2018, 02:57 PM

Try turning on a tv or going on Twitter once and a while.

Football is all about rivalries. Are you saying you don't find it funny when hearts lose? I personally love seeing hearts, Celtic, rangers and England lose games of football as I cannot stand any of them in a footballing sense.

iwasthere1972
10-07-2018, 03:38 PM
Only took about ten seconds into last night's Eastenders before Danny Dyer (the pricks prick) was singing 'It's Coming Home'

Fingers crossed that Croatia turn them over. I will then look forward to Eastenders on Thursday.

Chic Murray
10-07-2018, 03:43 PM
Try turning on a tv or going on Twitter once and a while.

Football is all about rivalries. Are you saying you don't find it funny when hearts lose? I personally love seeing hearts, Celtic, rangers and England lose games of football as I cannot stand any of them in a footballing sense.

Yeah, I honestly don't get off on it. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

Seems a bit petty and twisted to me.

we are hibs
10-07-2018, 04:00 PM
Yeah, I honestly don't get off on it. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

Seems a bit petty and twisted to me.

I'm pretty sure you're in a minority that doesn't understand football rivalries but fair enough

hibee316
10-07-2018, 04:12 PM
I'm pretty sure you're in a minority that doesn't understand football rivalries but fair enough

If someone doesn't have the same opinion as you on something, I would say it is a stretch to think that they just don't understand it.

Joy of life, accepting that other people have different views, even ones we find hard to understand!

Chic Murray
10-07-2018, 04:23 PM

Oh, I get rivalries, I just don't get how you can take pleasure in other fans disappointment, when the game is nothing to do with us.

Pretty empty celebrating them failing to do what we can't come close to. Just shows us as being small minded.

A bit like that Yam weirdo that used to stand on the motorway bridge at Livingston with a big Hearts flag when we'd lost a game at Hampden.

Or even worse, those no marks that used to pay to get into ER when we were in the Championship. That just points to very small minded men, desperately wanting to be noticed

I'm pretty sure, you're not one of those though.

Keith_M
10-07-2018, 04:30 PM

The “It’s coming home” stuff is just a bit of hopeful fun. Don’t get me wrong I think it’ll be a laugh when they lose, but some people are a bit OTT.

:agree:

I've just come back from the South of England and didn't encounter anybody that was so arrogant as to think they'd already won the thing.

Some of the newspapers, on the other hand, have it done and dusted, but who pays much attention to them (especially the Sun)

we are hibs
10-07-2018, 04:36 PM
Oh, I get rivalries, I just don't get how you can take pleasure in other fans disappointment, when the game is nothing to do with us.

Pretty empty celebrating them failing to do what we can't come close to. Just shows us as being small minded.

A bit like that Yam weirdo that used to stand on the motorway bridge at Livingston with a big Hearts flag when we'd lost a game at Hampden.

Or even worse, those no marks that used to pay to get into ER when we were in the Championship. That just points to very small minded men, desperately wanting to be noticed

All I said was I like seeing those sides lose as I find the meltdown from their respective supports hilarious.i don't see how that's sad and pathetic. Surely the majority of hibs fans want to see hearts lose and find it funny when they do?

Hibs1972
10-07-2018, 04:38 PM

Step forward Croatia.

Don’t think Croatia have played well last 2 games but they’ll never have a better chance to get to a World Cup final than tomorrow,England have had it easy,don’t think their big players have even played that well,hopefully Croatia do the business!:aok:

Since90+2
10-07-2018, 04:42 PM

You seem to be taking it abit more seriously than you should. It's abit of sporting rivalry, nothing more nothing less.

blackpoolhibs
10-07-2018, 04:51 PM

I had one of the best nights of my life one sunny Saturday in 1986, you obviously didn't.

Chic Murray
10-07-2018, 04:54 PM
I had one of the best nights of my life one sunny Saturday in 1986, you obviously didn't.

Fair play. Bang to rights.

Chic Murray
10-07-2018, 04:55 PM
You seem to be taking it abit more seriously than you should. It's abit of sporting rivalry, nothing more nothing less.

Sounds like I may be. Thanks for the heads up.

HH81
10-07-2018, 04:57 PM
We really are a bitter bunch.

Living in England it can be a bit annoying but then you see something like this and remember as long as it makes some people happy fair enough.

https://youtu.be/bqEe37dEYcg

TheReg!
10-07-2018, 05:36 PM
I’ve lived in England the last 23 years on and off, I’ts the first time I’ve actually supported them in anything, fair to say I’’m enjoying the experience and getting caught up in the excitement, maybe my fellow countrymen who live in England like myself should just embrace it instead of carrying the chip on the shoulder.

Famous Fiver
10-07-2018, 05:46 PM
I was unfortunate enough to be down south when they annihilated the mighty Tunisia. Luckily I left for home two days later but the euphoria and triumphalism was bad enough then, so god only knows what it must be like as we await tomorrow's showdown

Hopefully tonight's match may be of sufficient good standard to perhaps instil at least a little degree of trepidation, but I doubt it.

Sir Harry and his knights in shining armour are ready to battle the infidels and put them to the sword, or so the media would have us believe.

I think the backlash will be bitter, bilious and prolonged.

I, for one, canny wait!

Hi Heid Yin
10-07-2018, 05:51 PM
it'l be sheer hell if England win the world cup , rammed down our throats at every football game an English team play

Jim Traynor in his Daily Record blog once wrote: “Petty and narrow-minded doesn't begin to describe the mentality of Scotland when it comes to England…..Maybe one day, if we ever grow up and become a proper country that stops blaming all its ills on its larger, wealthier neighbour, we might gain the credibility we crave in the wider world.”

Hi Heid Yin
10-07-2018, 06:03 PM

:top marks

Seriously, as a Scot I sometimes wonder why I choose to live in this backward-thinking, predominantly anti-English nation of self-pitying souls with a collective chip-on-its-shoulders and a raging inferiority complex.

Mon Dieu4
10-07-2018, 06:05 PM
Jim Traynor in his Daily Record blog once wrote: “Petty and narrow-minded doesn't begin to describe the mentality of Scotland when it comes to England…..Maybe one day, if we ever grow up and become a proper country that stops blaming all its ills on its larger, wealthier neighbour, we might gain the credibility we crave in the wider world.”

Jim Traynor purveyor of decency and how we should all behave, no ta

Hi Heid Yin
10-07-2018, 06:06 PM

And the football isn't helping either.

This begs the question: why are you not living up here in Scotland, then?

Hi Heid Yin
10-07-2018, 06:14 PM
I’ve lived in England the last 23 years on and off, I’ts the first time I’ve actually supported them in anything, fair to say I’’m enjoying the experience and getting caught up in the excitement, maybe my fellow countrymen who live in England like myself should just embrace it instead of carrying the chip on the shoulder.

I'm with you all the way with this type of approach and thinking.

Hi Heid Yin
10-07-2018, 06:20 PM

The amount of times I have heard this line from a fellow Scot.
If it were only true and actually confined to sport.
Unfortunately, the anti-English sentiment runs deeper and permeates every level of Scottish society outwith sport.

cheltenhamhibee
10-07-2018, 06:22 PM
Personally speaking as a bar manager in Cheltenham I hope they get to the final, it's good for business, but I do hope that if they get there I hope that they get absolutely pumped :greengrin

Hi Heid Yin
10-07-2018, 06:22 PM
Jim Traynor purveyor of decency and how we should all behave, no ta

Forget Jim Traynor and focus on the words said.

marinello59
10-07-2018, 06:27 PM
:agree:

I've just come back from the South of England and didn't encounter anybody that was so arrogant as to think they'd already won the thing.

Some of the newspapers, on the other hand, have it done and dusted, but who pays much attention to them (especially the Sun)

They’re having a great time down there and quite right too, they’ve made it to a World Cup semi-final which they really didn’t expect. It’s a case of hold on and enjoy the ride as long as it lasts I guess.

Hi Heid Yin
10-07-2018, 06:31 PM
They’re having a great time down there and quite right too, they’ve made it to a World Cup semi-final which they really didn’t expect. It’s a case of hold on and enjoy the ride as long as it lasts I guess.

Chic Murray
10-07-2018, 06:37 PM
The amount of times I have heard this line from a fellow Scot.
If it were only true and actually confined to sport.
Unfortunately, the anti-English sentiment runs deeper and permeates every level of Scottish society outwith sport.

My thinking is mostly shaped by the fact there is no rivalry there anymore. It's like St. Bernard's fans getting chippy about Hibs - they can kid themselves all they want....

But, as I was reminded earlier,if Hearts were ever in a Dens Park situation, my sporting integrity would go out the window.

Scouse Hibee
10-07-2018, 06:38 PM

Bitter...... not much😂

SirDavidsNapper
10-07-2018, 06:42 PM
My thinking is mostly shaped by the fact there is no rivalry there anymore. It's like St. Bernard's fans getting chippy about Hibs.

But, as I was reminded earlier,if Hearts were ever in a Dens Park situation, my sporting integrity would go out the window.

Yup. Due to our own incompetence there isn't really a rivalry with England anymore (on their part). They are light years ahead of us and we latch on to them to keep ourselves relevant. Even still...Come on Croatia!

AltheHibby
10-07-2018, 06:45 PM

According to the Sun (I know) the woman who jumped on an ambulance and damaged it is Scottish. Whatever she is, I hope she is hammered in court for it.

Nameless
10-07-2018, 06:51 PM
According to the Sun (I know) the woman who jumped on an ambulance and damaged it is Scottish. Whatever she is, I hope she is hammered in court for it.I'll posit she's a Jambo....

You're right, nonsense like that is beyond the pail, and hopefully she's made an example of.

erin go bragh
10-07-2018, 06:53 PM
Bitter...... not much😂
Bitter ,, not at all . If England was playing Hearts I’d be rooting for you 😂

blackpoolhibs
10-07-2018, 07:34 PM
My thinking is mostly shaped by the fact there is no rivalry there anymore. It's like St. Bernard's fans getting chippy about Hibs - they can kid themselves all they want....

There is no real rivalry with Celtic either, they have just won the treble for the 2nd year running. I want them pumped every week too. :confused:

we are hibs
10-07-2018, 08:10 PM
Looked like there was a rivalry there last June when Griffiths scored those two goals and the scenes were incredible. Show me Southgate or the England fans celebrating a goal in the qualifiers like they did with Harry Kane equaliser. England fans constantly sing about Scotland at England matches not involving them. The head to head record is something like 49 wins for England and 41 for Scotland. I'm not getting where this rivalry isn't relevant anymore. It may not be as fierce but it's still there bubbling away.

G B Young
10-07-2018, 08:27 PM

Spot on. Scotland haven't been at a major tournament since the last century so it's not as though England's fortunes have any impact on our own. With Hibs and Hearts, on the other hand, it's a constant thing especially if you live and work in Edinburgh. You can't compare the two situations. Any Scots who still get in a genuine lather about England these days should learn to move on IMHO.

Tom English makes a reasonable stab at explaining why this England squad in particular are actually hard to dislike:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44783648

Hi Heid Yin
10-07-2018, 09:11 PM
Looked like there was a rivalry there last June when Griffiths scored those two goals and the scenes were incredible. Show me Southgate or the England fans celebrating a goal in the qualifiers like they did with Harry Kane equaliser. England fans constantly sing about Scotland at England matches not involving them. The head to head record is something like 49 wins for England and 41 for Scotland. I'm not getting where this rivalry isn't relevant anymore. It may not be as fierce but it's still there bubbling away.

It's only really a swathe of die-hard Scots (and an ever-decreasing bunch to boot), who still consider England as a rival.
The reality is that in 2018 England is a world-class footballing nation whilst Scotland jostles with dozens of other small nations of 5 million or less populations in the football pecking order.
Scottish football, for the first 75 years of the 20th century, enjoyed having a head start on similar sized football nations, and so enjoyed a more loftier status. Scottish fans never had it so good and had every right to refer to England as it's equal and rival. Eventually even the tiniest of footballing nations caught up and in many cases overtook Scotland. A different picture began to be painted - leading us to today, with Scotland sitting in the pecking order where one would logically expect them to be. England similarly are where one would logically expect them to sit in the pecking order - way ahead of Scotland.
Any sense of rivalry is now merely a "delusion" borne of a huge chip on its collective shoulders by a frustrated Scotland support - that would rather support anybody but England in order to enjoy a short-lived and fleeting "getting-back-at-England-somehow-sense-of-satisfaction".

Hi Heid Yin
10-07-2018, 09:12 PM
Spot on. Scotland haven't been at a major tournament since the last century so it's not as though England's fortunes have any impact on our own. With Hibs and Hearts, on the other hand, it's a constant thing especially if you live and work in Edinburgh. You can't compare the two situations. Any Scots who still get in a genuine lather about England these days should learn to move on IMHO.

Tom English makes a reasonable stab at explaining why this England squad in particular are actually hard to dislike:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44783648

Bristolhibby
10-07-2018, 09:16 PM
Schadenfreude (pleasure derived by someone from another person's misfortune) pops up all over life though.

Especially in sports. What’s wrong with “getting-back-at-England-somehow-sense-of-satisfaction”?

It’s not like I hate the English. Just want our oldest rivals not to do well.

J

guthrie01
10-07-2018, 09:21 PM
[/I][/B]

It's only really a swathe of die-hard Scots (and an ever-decreasing bunch to boot), who still consider England as a rival.
The reality is that in 2018 England is a world-class footballing nation whilst Scotland jostles with dozens of other small nations of 5 million or less populations in the football pecking order.
Scottish football, for the first 75 years of the 20th century, enjoyed having a head start on similar sized football nations, and so enjoyed a more loftier status. Scottish fans never had it so good and had every right to refer to England as it's equal and rival. Eventually even the tiniest of footballing nations caught up and in many case overtook Scotland. A different picture began to be painted - leading us to today, with Scotland sitting in the pecking order where one would logically expect them to be. England similarly are where one would logically expect them to sit in the pecking order - way ahead of Scotland.
Any sense of rivalry is now merely a "delusion" borne of a huge chip on its collective shoulders by a frustrated Scotland support - that would rather support anybody but England in order to enjoy a short-lived and fleeting "getting-back-at-England-somehow-sense-of-satisfaction".

Or it could just be some football banter between 2 rivals...

Hi Heid Yin
10-07-2018, 09:23 PM
Schadenfreude (pleasure derived by someone from another person's misfortune) pops up all over life though.

Especially in sports. What’s wrong with “getting-back-at-England-somehow-sense-of-satisfaction”?

It’s not like I hate the English. Just want our oldest rivals not to do well.

J

Unfortunately, there is a swathe of Scots who actually do "Hate" the English...and not just the England football team.

guthrie01
10-07-2018, 09:26 PM
Unfortunately, there is a swathe of Scots who actually do "Hate" the English...and not just the England football team.

Do you have any proof, or are you just basing this on your own thoughts ?

AltheHibby
10-07-2018, 09:33 PM

Read any political forum in the Scottish papers.

Hibbyradge
10-07-2018, 09:33 PM

People saying that they can't wait to see English people crying does hint at that.

There have also been people admitting that the don't like the English.

Ringothedog
10-07-2018, 09:44 PM

Okay then

Clarence
10-07-2018, 09:44 PM
Scottish football, for the first 75 years of the 20th century, enjoyed having a head start on similar sized football nations, and so enjoyed a more loftier status. Scottish fans never had it so good and had every right to refer to England as it's equal and rival. Eventually even the tiniest of footballing nations caught up and in many cases overtook Scotland. A different picture began to be painted - leading us to today, with Scotland sitting in the pecking order where one would logically expect them to be. England similarly are where one would logically expect them to sit in the pecking order - way ahead of Scotland.

If ever there was proof of why Scots don’t support England, then this is it.

marinello59
10-07-2018, 09:47 PM
People saying that they can't wait to see English people crying does hint at that.

My English born Dad spent most of his 81 years in Scotland but never lost his English accent. The anti-English stuff thrown his way was certainly real. It’s as bad now as it was when I had the misfortune to return to Scotland as a kid in the seventies with an English accent. Of course it’s just the media they hate.

Ringothedog
10-07-2018, 09:48 PM

Dave, this is a rivalry thing, if England make it to the final I will head down to Telford for the final to watch it with my English family, but I will hope they get beat. I am passed hating the English but the tories on the other hand....

Hibbyradge
10-07-2018, 09:49 PM
If ever there was proof of why Scots don’t support England, then this is it.

There's lots of ways to prove that Scots don't support England.

What does that post prove? :confused:

Hibbyradge
10-07-2018, 09:53 PM
Dave, this is a rivalry thing, if England make it to the final I will head down to Telford for the final to watch it with my English family, but I will hope they get beat. I am passed hating the English but the tories on the other hand....

Yes, but you don't want to see your family crying, do you?

My wife is English and obviously her family is too. I'd rather England didn't win, but I'll try my best to comfort them if they lose. I won't enjoy their tears like others say they're looking forward to.

None of them expect England to win, I should add.

guthrie01
10-07-2018, 10:03 PM
Yes, but you don't want to see your family crying, do you?

My wife is English and obviously her family is too. I'd rather England didn't win, but I'll try my best to comfort them if they lose. I won't enjoy their tears like others say they're looking forward to.

None of them expect England to win, I should add.

A few idiots who enjoy the actual suffering of the English fans shouldn’t ruin a good football rivalry which is mostly good natured fun. I stand by my view that most Scottish people don’t hate the English

Lago
10-07-2018, 10:06 PM
My English born Dad spent most of his 81 years in Scotland but never lost his English accent. The anti-English stuff thrown his way was certainly real. It’s as bad now as it was when I had the misfortune to return to Scotland as a kid in the seventies with an English accent. Of course it’s just the media they hate.

Your Dad's experience is so similar to my late Father in Law. From County Durham he married my Scots Mother in Law & settled in Scotland after being freed from a German presoner of war camp.
He worked in the Lady Victoria pit until he was 60 then for 5 years at Edinburgh Uni as a security guard. Supported Hibs from the moment he watch the famous 5, thought Gordon Smith the finest footballer he had seen, never lost his gordie accent & was frequently called an English b....
He was the loveliest man you could wish to meet.
I too was born & lived abroad until 11years old, my accent has never been Scottish as I've been told quite forcibly on a number of occasions, but then it's just banter isn't.

iwasthere1972
10-07-2018, 10:07 PM
Don't hate the English. Just the England football team. Brexit and It's coming home is doing my nut in.

Clarence
10-07-2018, 10:12 PM
There's lots of ways to prove that Scots don't support England.

What does that post prove? :confused:

Its content is full of a snide sentiment which is difficult to warm to. I don’t think that anyone is salivating over genuine suffering of people because they are English. I think most people see it as a game and a bit of fun.

Hibbyradge
10-07-2018, 10:12 PM
A few idiots who enjoy the actual suffering of the English fans shouldn’t ruin a good football rivalry which is mostly good natured fun. I stand by my view that most Scottish people don’t hate the English

Yes, I agree.

Most don't.

Some do.

Pete
10-07-2018, 10:27 PM
“It’s coming home”

Used to describe football “coming home” to its inventors in 1996 when England hosted the European Championships.

What the **** are they talking about this time?

Hibbyradge
10-07-2018, 10:39 PM
“It’s coming home”

Used to describe football “coming home” to its inventors in 1996 when England hosted the European Championships.

I think it's because football supposedly started in England.

Smartie
10-07-2018, 10:41 PM
“It’s coming home”

One of my all-time favourite football moments was in 1996 when the German fans (often derided by the English for their lack of sense of humour) sang "football's coming home" whilst winning Euro 96 in England.

Kavinho
10-07-2018, 10:48 PM

Scotland will always be England's rival

Broken Gnome
10-07-2018, 10:53 PM
Yes, I agree.

Most don't.

Some do.

Don't see any problem with 'hating' them as a sporting entity in the forms where tribalism is a bit more prevalent. Despite the Team GB nonsense in 2012 there is no United Kingdom or Great Britain when it comes to (men's) football.

The Premiership's rise has probably diluted this to a lot of younger folk, but at the same time the OTT self promotion of English clubs and brands would only heighten the distaste to others.

Hibbyradge
10-07-2018, 10:55 PM

Nope.

England will always be Scotland fan's rival.

Kavinho
10-07-2018, 10:55 PM
Nope.

😉

Kavinho
10-07-2018, 10:56 PM
Nope.

Yet....

Bristolhibby
10-07-2018, 11:00 PM
The First ever International football match was Scotland v England on 30 November 1872 taking place in Partick.

For football to come home then I guess it’s heading To Partick.

J

madhatter
10-07-2018, 11:08 PM

What happens if you just want to support someone other than England? No chip on shoulder or anything? Not possible? I’m sure if Scotland were doing well in the competition the whole of England would support Scotland...

Rivalry doesn’t have to be equal, there are plenty teams who are rivals that weren’t/aren’t equal powered clubs or nations. Man City were still a rival of Man Utd when they were pretty poor years back and not even in the same league...

Always like when people get lumped into a “collective” in order to define a negative characteristic - “delusion” and “huge chip on its collective shoulders”. Only chip on my shoulder is because people keep telling me I’ve got a chip on my shoulder...

I’m also picking up from how you have worded your piece that we should all have become Celtic and Rangers fans because logically they outgrew us? Supporting anybody but Celtic and Rangers is just petty and done in a “fleeting” getting back at Celtic and Rangers satisfaction way. Why do Scottish people need to support England in football? Why do English people need to support Scotland in football?

Rivalry in sport is just that, a rivalry. Most are borne out of location, nothing to do with rivals for trophies. You can have rivals in different leagues...

Thanks though, I better get back to the swathe now.

Hibbyradge
10-07-2018, 11:24 PM
Yet....

We're of little interest to England.

Sad, but true.

Hibbyradge
10-07-2018, 11:33 PM
What happens if you just want to support someone other than England? No chip on shoulder or anything? Not possible? I’m sure if Scotland were doing well in the competition the whole of England would support Scotland...

Rivalry doesn’t have to be equal, there are plenty teams who are rivals that weren’t/aren’t equal powered clubs or nations. Man City were still a rival of Man Utd when they were pretty poor years back and not even in the same league...

Always like when people get lumped into a “collective” in order to define a negative characteristic - “delusion” and “huge chip on its collective shoulders”. Only chip on my shoulder is because people keep telling me I’ve got a chip on my shoulder...

I’m also picking up from how you have worded your piece that we should all have become Celtic and Rangers fans because logically they outgrew us? Supporting anybody but Celtic and Rangers is just petty and done in a “fleeting” getting back at Celtic and Rangers satisfaction way. Why do Scottish people need to support England in football? Why do English people need to support Scotland in football?

Rivalry in sport is just that, a rivalry. Most are borne out of location, nothing to do with rivals for trophies. You can have rivals in different leagues...

Thanks though, I better get back to the swathe now.

That's a good argument, the best I've read.

It's really the petty bitterness, and what I perceive as an underlying xenophobia from certain posters that grinds my gears.

Bristolhibby
10-07-2018, 11:39 PM
We're of little interest to England.

Sad, but true.

Not true, I’ve personally heard England fans sing, “Are you Scotland in disguise”.

“Cheer up Gordon Strachan, Oh what can it be to fat Scottish ******* with a **** football team”.

Booing of Flower of Scotland (Obviously the favour gets returned with GSTQ).

Don’t be fooled, the true English football fans don’t like us.

J

Hibbyradge
10-07-2018, 11:45 PM
Not true, I’ve personally heard England fans sing, “Are you Scotland in disguise”.

“Cheer up Gordon Strachan, Oh what can it be to fat Scottish ******* with a **** football team”.

Booing of Flower of Scotland (Obviously the favour gets returned with GSTQ).

Don’t be fooled, the true English football fans don’t like us.

J

That's when they're playing us.

Otherwise, they don't care.

England play Slovenia or Malta, we're all desperate for them to lose.

Scotland play them, no-one in England cares.

Hi Heid Yin
10-07-2018, 11:52 PM

Errr, Uncles and cousins who have actually said, with the help of a couple of drinks: " I f...ing hate the English" Even calling me " one of them!" because I did not agree with them.
Errr, Scottish youths who I witnessed shouting out during a cinema showing of "Braveheart" "English Ba....rds, wait til we get you outside" to a couple of English students sitting behind them. The students sensibly left early.
Errr, My English wife who was verbally attacked and regularly bullied for being English by a Scottish female work colleague in a government Agency Office in Edinburgh. The matter led to formal disciplinary measures being taken against the offender for discrimination and racism.
Errr, your's truly for not having the same accent ( result of spending my childhood abroad) as a school bully, who called me "English Sc.m" as he laid into me in front of his jeering and cheering mates. I got the better of him, which was some consolation. The headmasters strap soon followed.

Attacking "The English" is widely accepted in social and work situations the length and breadth of Scotland. What a Scot might refer to as "friendly Banter" might be taken as "bullying" and "insulting" by the recipient. Only the recipient has the say in whether it is harmless or not. It is not for the perpetrator to call. Anglophobia is no different to homophobia. It took legislation to outlaw what was deemed so-called "banter" by homophobes.

davhibby
10-07-2018, 11:59 PM

They've sang about Scotland during at least one match in the last month. We are Englands main rivals. Germany is about as close as England have to a footballing talent related rivalry. I'm sure there's plenty of cities across the world with rival clubs leagues apart whose fans wouldn't like the suggestion that the smaller teams fans should be enjoying the other teams success. If Hearts were in the third division they'd still be our rivals wouldn't they?

madhatter
11-07-2018, 12:14 AM

In fairness to this debate, the Scotland game would very unlikely be aired in England. If it were, the chances are it would be on a premium service (Sky, BT). Pretty sure there would be people in England that will enjoy sitting in the pub laughing watching Scotland on Sky losing to some country, as I’m sure there will be people in Wales that enjoy the same. We want to watch the World Cup so we get English MOTD coverage of it, it could be argued we’d always be predisposed to care more about England’s games in one way or another simply due to it being broadcasted here on standard TV service.

This again goes back to rivalry, I’d become more indifferent to Hearts if I rarely saw their games and they weren’t in close proximity, that doesn’t mean rivalry doesn’t exist. That’d be an England perspective on it, our game is non-existent to many in England (indifference) but to some it is a nice gimmick, something to laugh at. Scotland’s perspective is more like Hearts being an inferior team to Hibs but Hibs TV being the only immediate coverage they could get of Scottish football. You can bet in the above examples the Hearts fan would view the rivalry bigger than the Hibs fan, if they see a rivalry in the first place.

Imagine Sportscene did the coverage of all major international competitions and that was broadcasted around the UK. Pretty sure there would be a change in mindsets across the land. Rivalry perspectives would change.

madhatter
11-07-2018, 12:29 AM
Errr, Uncles and cousins who have actually said, with the help of a couple of drinks: " I f...ing hate the English" Even calling me " one of them!" because I did not agree with them.
Errr, Scottish youths who I witnessed shouting out during a cinema showing of "Braveheart" "English Ba....rds, wait til we get you outside" to a couple of English students sitting behind them. The students sensibly left early.
Errr, My English wife who was verbally attacked and regularly bullied for being English by a Scottish female work colleague in a government Agency Office in Edinburgh. The matter led to formal disciplinary measures being taken against the offender for discrimination and racism.
Errr, your's truly for not having the same accent ( result of spending my childhood abroad) as a school bully, who called me "English Sc.m" as he laid into me in front of his jeering and cheering mates. I got the better of him, which was some consolation. The headmasters strap soon followed.

Attacking "The English" is widely accepted in social and work situations the length and breadth of Scotland. What a Scot might refer to as "friendly Banter" might be taken as "bullying" and "insulting" by the recipient. Only the recipient has the say in whether it is harmless or not. It is not for the perpetrator to call. Anglophobia is no different to homophobia. It took legislation to outlaw what was deemed so-called "banter" by homophobes.

Not condoning any of that but are you suggesting no English person speaks badly of Scottish people? Are you suggesting Scottish people have not been bullied in England whilst in workplaces? Scotophobia not as relevant as Anglophobia? You are using phrases that are grouping a nation of people together before making a sweeping negative statement. E.g. “What a Scot”, is that not in itself discriminatory? I call stuff banter that others may cry over, that’s not because I’m “a Scot”. Sorry but that’s like me saying “those English can’t handle their drinks”, bit of banter or am I just pointing out a social phenomenon I’ve experienced first hand?

We all witness different things in our lives, doesn’t make it right and things need to be done but I take offence to what you’ve typed in response to your experiences, I supposedly deeply offend and bully people out of “friendly banter” that only “a Scot” would dish out.

World isn’t perfect, this is a football forum though and we seem to be getting on to topics about political correctness and social issues that are best campaigned for through groups etc. Let’s not suggest all Scottish people are nasty people who cannot distinguish between banter and bullying though.

Hi Heid Yin
11-07-2018, 01:54 AM
Not condoning any of that but are you suggesting no English person speaks badly of Scottish people? Are you suggesting Scottish people have not been bullied in England whilst in workplaces? Scotophobia not as relevant as Anglophobia? You are using phrases that are grouping a nation of people together before making a sweeping negative statement. E.g. “What a Scot”, is that not in itself discriminatory? I call stuff banter that others may cry over, that’s not because I’m “a Scot”. Sorry but that’s like me saying “those English can’t handle their drinks”, bit of banter or am I just pointing out a social phenomenon I’ve experienced first hand?

We all witness different things in our lives, doesn’t make it right and things need to be done but I take offence to what you’ve typed in response to your experiences, I supposedly deeply offend and bully people out of “friendly banter” that only “a Scot” would dish out.

World isn’t perfect, this is a football forum though and we seem to be getting on to topics about political correctness and social issues that are best campaigned for through groups etc. Let’s not suggest all Scottish people are nasty people who cannot distinguish between banter and bullying though.

Whatever I say against the xenophobes and racists in Scotland applies equally to the xenophobes and racists in England.

I do agree with you that the world indeed isn't perfect and this is a "football forum" thread, and not the place to discuss deep and divisive social issues.

Please don't take anything I have posted personally.

On that note I will bid you good night.

IGRIGI
11-07-2018, 03:16 AM

Cringetastic.

Edinburgh Green
11-07-2018, 04:58 AM

If you genuinely believe that, go onto Facebook and read any post over the last 3 weeks on a football related page. I.e MOTD, Football Accumulators, bet365 etc and read the comments. Regardless of the subject it won’t take you long to find someone taking about us sweaty socks in a derogatory fashion.

Bristolhibby
11-07-2018, 06:40 AM

The first one I’ve definately heard when they were spanking someone gash. It wouldn’t make sense against us.

They don’t like us.

I’m talking real England fans. The fans who totally get why many Scots are ABE. They get the football rivalry. Not my bandwagon jumping wife, for example.

J

we are hibs
11-07-2018, 08:14 AM

It was called a joke. I don't genuinely want to see English people crying. I couldn't care less if they cry or not. I just want them to lose

That's a good argument, the best I've read.

It's really the petty bitterness, and what I perceive as an underlying xenophobia from certain posters that grinds my gears.

And if that last bit is aimed at me I suggest you take it down, mate.

we are hibs
11-07-2018, 08:16 AM
So let me get this right. Hibs fans aren't allowed to want hearts to lose games and Scottish people aren't allowed to want England to lose because of stuff that happened over 30/40 years ago to certain posters families. Ok.

bigwheel
11-07-2018, 08:20 AM
If you take the rivalry and pseudo tribalism out of football supporting , it will be a banal sport - I’m all for the “whataboutyou” banter. It’s part of the spark that makes football great - English fans are having a field day on social
Media just now - good luck to them

Hoping “itisnaecominghome” is trending tonight [emoji2][emoji106]

marinello59
11-07-2018, 08:30 AM
So let me get this right. Hibs fans aren't allowed to want hearts to lose games and Scottish people aren't allowed to want England to lose because of stuff that happened over 30/40 years ago to certain posters families. Ok.

Nope, not what anybody has said, that's you twisting words round. Certainly not me. Good, decent football banter is always welcome.

Thecat23
11-07-2018, 08:36 AM
**** England they aren’t winning it anyway. C’mon CROATIA 🇭🇷

Hibs1969
11-07-2018, 08:38 AM
There’s a very good article on the BBC sport website highlighting the pain and joy of football which contains the following paragraph which takes me right back to that glorious day 2 years ago when SDG’s header hit the back of the net in injury time:

’You also know what football can do for you. It makes you leap around and grab your friends around the neck and roar at each other's faces from inches away. It makes you jump on the back of strangers. It makes you feel the same way at exactly the same time as millions of people you will never meet.’

Maybe not millions but certainly many thousands felt the same as me that day......

heidtheba
11-07-2018, 08:41 AM
Well I'm firmly in the 'I want England to win' camp, and have been since the group matches. I'm watching the games with mainly English friends and it's been really good fun. I actually really like this squad, the inclusion of an Ashley Cole or a John Terry type would have changed my perceptions really. I'd like them to do it for my mates and I think they've been a good 'team'. I like that in a squad. As I've said before, I've absolutely had my ABE days but now? Due to a variety of political things, I'm actually enjoying not getting involved in a polarised and, at times quite parochial, debate on all things Scottish. Don't have a problem with others doing that, personally, I'm just sick of it.
It's important to my friends and therefore it's important to me. I'll even admit that I actually cheered on Hearts back in their 2013 League Cup challenge. I actually wanted them to win that game because my friend's Hearts supporting father came back from one early round and had a heart attack in the car and died. Seemed like a fitting way for him to be remembered.
England winning would make my mates happy and, in the absence of Scotland, I'll happily take that as a nice outcome for me.

Since90+2
11-07-2018, 08:43 AM
Most Scottish football fans have been subject to derision and experienced an overall contempt from English football fans (and media) when it comes to Scottish football and it's standard , despite most of them not having much ,if any, knowledge of the game up here.

It's hardly surprising that the same Scottish fans would would want to see the English national team lose.

SRHibs
11-07-2018, 08:45 AM
There does seem to be a lot of overstating how good they are here. “If we play like we did vs Sweden we will progress comfortably.” IMO if they play like they did against Sweden they’ll get humped. Croatia are actually equal to (or better than) England in overall squad quality, and they can’t simply rely on Pickford to make a string of wonder saves again.

Carheenlea
11-07-2018, 08:55 AM
A friend of mines brother who is Northern Irish, but lived most of his life in Scotland has pretty much written where I would stand in all this in this blog on the subject debated on this thread.

http://bloodandporridge.co.uk/wp/?p=9092

Chic Murray
11-07-2018, 09:03 AM

The other way round.

Anyway rivalry can't be the right word, as that would involve competition. More like jealousy, or insecurity that wee Scotland will be forgotten.

Thing is that ship sailed years ago. Now all we are known for is an ageing group of functioning alcoholics who dress up in hats with big feathers in them. Photographed at pavement cafes in increasingly obscure destinations, with big pints of lager in front of them.

Never heard the one about "when you can't beat them and they won't let you join them." That's what all this anyone but England stuff is really about.

stoneyburn hibs
11-07-2018, 09:05 AM
I really don't mind what the English lose at.

SRHibs
11-07-2018, 09:08 AM
The other way round.

Anyway rivalry can't be the right word, as that would involve competition. More like jealousy, or insecurity that wee Scotland will be forgotten.

Thing is that ship sailed years ago. Now all we are known for is an ageing group of functioning alcoholics who dress up in hats with big feathers in them. Photographed at pavement cafes in increasingly obscure destinations, with big pints of lager in front of them.

Never heard the one about "when you can't beat them and they won't let you join them." That's what all this anyone but England stuff is really about.

And England are only known for being a mediocre team supported by fat, bald, tattooed hooligans, of course.

I understand people not wanting England to win, but the anti-Scottish sentiment from some on here is absurd.

Chic Murray
11-07-2018, 09:14 AM
And England are only known for being a mediocre team supported by fat, bald, tattooed hooligans, of course.

I understand people not wanting England to win, but the anti-Scottish sentiment from some on here is absurd.

You seen the nick of the Tartan Army?

Who said im anti Scottish? I'm frustrated as hell that we are so pants internationally. Small nation is no excuse.

But, as long as we are represented by a bunch of misfits who think the show is about them, we will get nowhere.

Besides you're first part is wrong, they are known for being World Cup semi finalists.

Since90+2
11-07-2018, 09:18 AM
The other way round.

I've never been to a Scotland away game but drinking a pint of cold lager in a pavement cafe in an obscure part of the world with a few mates sounds pretty fun to me. A few hundred Hibs fans will be doing the same in a few weeks.

We must all be ageing functioning alcoholics. Maybe minus the feather hats though.

Big_Franck
11-07-2018, 09:20 AM
A friend of mines brother who is Northern Irish, but lived most of his life in Scotland has pretty much written where I would stand in all this in this blog on the subject debated on this thread.

http://bloodandporridge.co.uk/wp/?p=9092

That was a decent read, thanks for posting. Completely disagree with the sentence below though:

Conversely, now that Scotland has its own devolved parliament and has at least a measure of responsibility for its own affairs, and now that the new generation of English fans have a better reputation than their predecessors, the anyone-but-England mentality seems much less pronounced in Scotland.

Thankfully the ABE attitude is just as strong as it ever has been in my experience. Mon the Croats :greengrin

G B Young
11-07-2018, 09:20 AM
The other way round.

I don't know about functioning alcoholics, but it's certainly long struck me that those who continue to follow Scotland abroad at every opportunity must do so primarily because it's a way of life rather than a desire to follow a successful football team. Anyone who started following Scotland away, say, in their late 20s will be pushing 50 by now and will never have seen us at a major tournament so if they're still soldiering on there must be something more than football that keeps them going. If you look at it that way, then I guess the results don't really matter. You can treat it as just as one long knees-up where the ongoing failure on the football field (and maybe the frustrations of day-to-day life) can be blotted out by booze. Hey-ho, another failed qualification campaign...never mind, there'll be another one kicking-off again next year.

Big_Franck
11-07-2018, 09:22 AM
Also, the idea that some have on here that Scotland-England can't be rivals because of the gulf in quality are talking out their hole. Tell that to Espanyol or Barcelona fans, or to Torino and Juventus fans, or to Sunderland and Newcastle fans for that matter.

Billy Whizz
11-07-2018, 09:24 AM
Been a quick year, and shows you just how quickly things can change in football
Scotland were within seconds of beating England just off a year ago. If it’s wasnt for Stuart Armstrong giving a stupid ball away, Southgate would have been getting pelters

Big_Franck
11-07-2018, 09:25 AM
I don't know about functioning alcoholics, but it's certainly long struck me that those who continue to follow Scotland abroad at every opportunity must do so primarily because it's a way of life rather than a desire to follow a successful football team. Anyone who started following Scotland away, say, in their late 20s will be pushing 50 by now and will never have seen us at a major tournament so if they're still soldiering on there must be something more than football that keeps them going. If you look at it that way, then I guess the results don't really matter. You can treat it as just as one long knees-up where the ongoing failure on the football field (and maybe the frustrations of day-to-day life) can be blotted out by booze. Hey-ho, another failed qualification campaign...never mind, there'll be another one kicking-off again next year.

Of course following Scotland is a way of life, we're Scottish. Nobody I know follows their team because they are successful. If we did we'd have given up watching Hibs many years ago.

Smartie
11-07-2018, 09:50 AM
Scotland have been little better than a shambles for 25+ years.

We scrap to avoid humiliation against the true minnows of the world and convince ourselves that because we're a small country we deserve to be as crap as we are (whilst ignoring the achievements of similarly sized or smaller countries like Iceland, Uruguay and Croatia).

England are a massive country with loads of talented players and have pulled miles ahead of us. They deserve to be in the semi-final and are 2 games away from winning the World Cup.

One of the great pleasures of being a Scotsman is dragging England down to our level and scrapping with them at any sport. We might not win, but we have an appetite to go back for more, again and again and again and it is one of my favourite Scottish characteristics.

I love the nation England. I visit it frequently. I have a great number of English friends, up here and down South and people from the 2 countries tend to get on very well indeed with each other.

To a point, I quite like the hype when they are at a major tournament. There in an angle to the coverage that means that whether you like them or not, there is more of an interest there than when they are not there. I'm generally speaking ambivalent to their results throughout qualifying and in the early stages of tournaments, I don't get particularly upset when they win, I don't mind when they lose but the longer they stay in tournaments, the more interesting it generally is.

I hope they get pumped rotten tonight, and if not tonight then I hope they get pumped on Sunday. For any Scot who wants England to win the World Cup, fair enough that is your opinion. But I think that this is the most bizarre form of Stockholm syndrome ever and frankly, and Scot who wants them to actually win the tournament (and all that will go with that) wants their head examining.

Col_0762
11-07-2018, 09:53 AM
The other way round.

Involve competition like them snatching a draw against us in the last campaign?

I follow Scotland away. Have done since I was roughly 16/17. None of my group wear a glengarry with a feather in it. Neither do about 80% of the travelling support. The wider Scotland support who travel away now has definately changed over the last 10 years or so, from the idea of getting away for a jolly to more real football supporters, who are genuinely gutted when we lose and desperate to qualify for a tournament. To generalise us all as you have done is utter pish. I spend a fortune following Scotland (on top of every Hibs game home and away) and why? I love football, I love Scotland, I love being away supporting my country. Added bonus is going to loads of countries I would otherwise never dream of going to. Like with Hibs, I’ve also made lots of friends following them as well.

See the years when we (Hibs) were constantly ***** and Hearts lording it over us, were we no longer their rivals?

England fans who follow England dislike us as much as we dislike them. Ever been to Wembley lately for a game v Them? We were treated to verbals etc. like every football fan is when you play a rival. Also pelted with bevvy and the rest at half time down the stairs. Both sides going at it. Giving it laldy to us in the pubs before and after. This was the same at the friendly down there before the qualifier. I’m sure it would be the same for them up here. Part and parcel of a football rivalry.

Also, they sing as much about us as we do about them, which isn’t actually very much. At games v eachother, yes, quite a bit. Against other teams, nah, except the old cheer up when either of us are getting beat or been beat.

The anyone but England is part of a football rivalry. Like ours with the ****bos. It’s intensified up here due to the media ramming everything down our throats. However, the mute button for the TV and not reading a national rag solves that issue. Not sure why it’s so hard for people to understand how a rivalry works. It will never go away.

we are hibs
11-07-2018, 09:57 AM

I follow Scotland away. Have done since I was roughly 16/17. None of my group wear a glengarry with a feather in it. Neither do about 80% of the travelling support. The wider Scotland support who travel away now has definately changed over the last 10 years or so, from the idea of getting away for a jolly to more real football supporters, who are genuinely gutted when we lose and desperate to qualify for a tournament. To generalise us all as you have done is utter pish. I spend a fortune following Scotland (on top of every Hibs game home and away) and why? I love football, I love Scotland, I love being away supporting my country. Added bonus is going to loads of countries I would otherwise never dream of going to. Like with Hibs, I’ve also made lots of friends following them as well.

See the years when we (Hibs) were constantly ***** and Hearts lording it over us, were we no longer their rivals?

England fans who follow England dislike us as much as we dislike them. Ever been to Wembley lately for a game v Them? We were treated to verbals etc. like every football fan is when you play a rival. Also pelted with bevvy and the rest at half time down the stairs. Both sides going at it. Giving it laldy to us in the pubs before and after. This was the same at the friendly down there before the qualifier. I’m sure it would be the same for them up here. Part and parcel of a football rivalry.

Also, they sing as much about us as we do about them, which isn’t actually very much. At games v eachother, yes, quite a bit. Against other teams, nah, except the old cheer up when either of us are getting beat or been beat.

The anyone but England is part of a football rivalry. Like ours with the ****bos. It’s intensified up here due to the media ramming everything down our throats. However, the mute button for the TV and not reading a national rag solves that issue. Not sure why it’s so hard for people to understand how a rivalry works. It will never go away.

Great post.

HUTCHYHIBBY
11-07-2018, 09:58 AM
Also, the idea that some have on here that Scotland-England can't be rivals because of the gulf in quality are talking out their hole. Tell that to Espanyol or Barcelona fans, or to Torino and Juventus fans, or to Sunderland and Newcastle fans for that matter.

Likewise Celtic and Rangers these days.

Gordy M
11-07-2018, 10:00 AM

Perfectly summed up mate:thumbsup:

Chic Murray
11-07-2018, 10:17 AM

We were in the same league as Hearts. We are not even in the same competition as England.

Crowing when they lose is a pitiful admission of how little we have to offer.

There is also the more sinister aspect of racist bullying that we need to guard against.

Sorry mate, the rivalry is dieing as more and more of us adopt the role of curious onlookers. Scotland is moving on.

cleanyman
11-07-2018, 10:25 AM
It's coming home

Hibbyradge
11-07-2018, 10:25 AM
Zoom in on the nose. :tee hee:

https://s33.postimg.cc/mq536pbyn/Cow.jpg

Scottie
11-07-2018, 10:32 AM
We were in the same league as Hearts. We are not even in the same competition as England.

There is also the more sinister aspect of racist bullying that we need to guard against.

Sorry mate, the rivalry is dieing as more and more of us adopt the role of curious onlookers. Scotland is moving on.
What the **** are you going on about FFS :rolleyes: You either must know nothing about the history of your country that has brought our country to where it is today or you are on your holidays from school.

Col_0762
11-07-2018, 10:40 AM

How can it be dieing when we played eachother in the last qualifiers? A sell out at Wembley and Hampden and both away sections sold out, suggests the rivalry is far from dead. Look at the sheer euphoria Griffiths’s second goal and Kanes’s equaliser caused in each support. That meant nothing to anyone right enough.

Chic Murray
11-07-2018, 10:41 AM
What the **** are you going on about FFS :rolleyes: You either must know nothing about the history of your country that has brought our country to where it is today or you are on your holidays from school.

Which part of our history, MacBeth, Darien, The Jacobites, the slave trade? You're going to have to help me out to show me where hatred has gotten us where we are today.

Since90+2
11-07-2018, 10:43 AM
My country is built on hatred of another nation?

Laughable.

Chic Murray
11-07-2018, 10:48 AM
How can it be dieing when we played eachother in the last qualifiers? A sell out at Wembley and Hampden and both away sections sold out, suggests the rivalry is far from dead. Look at the sheer euphoria Griffiths’s second goal and Kanes’s equaliser caused in each support. That meant nothing to anyone right enough.

Yeah, they're still talking about that in the cafes in Shoreditch, and pubs of Liverpool, not to mention some of the trendier parts of Leith.

"some hate the English. I don't. They're just ****ers. We, on the other hand, are COLONIZED by ****ers. Can't even find a decent culture to be colonized BY. We're ruled by effete assholes. It's a ***** state of affairs to be in, Tommy, and ALL the fresh air in the world won't make any ****ing difference."

Since90+2
11-07-2018, 10:51 AM
Which part of our history, MacBeth, Darien, The Jacobites, the slave trade? You're going to have to help me out to show me where hatred has gotten us where we are today.

Nice quick edit of your original post which I quoted.

Chic Murray
11-07-2018, 10:53 AM
Nice quick edit of your original post which I quoted.

Is it, aye?

Lets just stick to the topic in hand and leave the personal stuff out. It would be ever so nice if you could.

Both posts meant pretty much the same thing.

Col_0762
11-07-2018, 10:54 AM
Yeah, they're still talking about that in the cafes in Shoreditch, and pubs of Liverpool, not to mention some of the trendier parts of Leith.

"some hate the English. I don't. They're just ****ers. We, on the other hand, are COLONIZED by ****ers. Can't even find a decent culture to be colonized BY. We're ruled by effete assholes. It's a ***** state of affairs to be in, Tommy, and ALL the fresh air in the world won't make any ****ing difference."

Starting to think you’re Chick Young and not Chic Murray with the pish you’re coming out with. Quoting Trainspotting now to back up your point.

One Day Soon
11-07-2018, 10:55 AM

Oh aye?

Chic Murray
11-07-2018, 10:56 AM
Starting to think you’re Chick Young and not Chic Murray with the pish you’re coming out with. Quoting Trainspotting now to back up your point.

No need.

cleanyman
11-07-2018, 10:57 AM
Its ***** being Scottish

Now come on England

Since90+2
11-07-2018, 10:58 AM
Is it, aye?

Lets just stick to the topic in hand and leave the personal stuff out. It would be ever so nice if you could.

If you genuinely believe that Scotland was built on the hatred of England then fair enough. I'll bail out and let you continue on your crusade.

Edinburgh Green
11-07-2018, 11:05 AM
Is it, aye?

Didn't see any personal stuff at all in his post? :confused:

Col_0762
11-07-2018, 11:07 AM
No need.

Well I was talking about a football rivalry, that doesn’t exist in your eyes. You then went down a completely different path, so I’m out. Polictics and football is a messy subject so you crack on.

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
11-07-2018, 11:25 AM
I remember years ago, Kenny Macaskill said that it will be a sign of the growing maturity and confidence of Scotland when we could wish England well at sport - he got pilloried for it from all sides.

Now it seems to have gone full circle and everyone wants to see England do well.

Personally, I don't hate the England team, but I will have a good laugh if they go out and I don't want them to win. That's fitba and national rivalry for you.

G B Young
11-07-2018, 11:41 AM
Of course following Scotland is a way of life, we're Scottish. Nobody I know follows their team because they are successful. If we did we'd have given up watching Hibs many years ago.

As I suggested earlier, I don't think you can compare following Hibs with following Scotland, or Scotland's 'rivalry' with England with Hibs' rivalry with Hearts. To say Hibs haven't been successful is wrong IMHO. We may not have won as many trophies as we should have but our record in cup competitions this century is actually pretty impressive. If you look at back over that stats, we've been competing at the business end on a regular basis. Scotland on the other hand haven't so much as qualified to compete in a major tournament this century. That's why I've come to think those fans who continue to follow them away must get something out of the trips that is about more than the football. As somebody else mentioned, Scotland away games have for a long time been more about the ubiquitous pics of the tartan army (either adding colour to a city plaza or sitting looking crestfallen at the end of yet another fruitless 90 minutes) than they have about anything the Scotland team achieves on the park. HIbs' rivalry with Hearts is a daily issue for those who live and work in Edinburgh. That's enough to be going on with, rather than fretting for no real reason about what England might or might not be achieving in a tournament Scotland aren't even part of.

RIP Bestie
11-07-2018, 11:52 AM

Pish. I love England. Tenner at 16s to win the World Cup. Come on the lads.

Col_0762
11-07-2018, 11:55 AM
Pish. I love England. Tenner at 16s to win the World Cup. Come on the lads.

You also wear Hearts shirts in your local though lol.

Hi Heid Yin
11-07-2018, 11:57 AM
Most Scottish football fans have been subject to derision and experienced an overall contempt from English football fans (and media) when it comes to Scottish football and it's standard , despite most of them not having much ,if any, knowledge of the game up here.

It's hardly surprising that the same Scottish fans would would want to see the English national team lose.

See it from the English, indeed any other countries point of view: Celtic, Rangers, Celtic, Rangers, Celtic, Rangers, Celtic, Rangers, Celtic, Rangers.....repeat ad nauseum

Not a single club outwith these two has won the league championship in over 3 decades.
Imagine Man U winning 9 league championships on the trot?
It's understandable that they view Scottish football as a "duopoly" with no serious competition beyond these stone-age rivals.

Why focus on wanting the England national team to lose? Why not every nation that similarly looks down at Scottish football? The Germans? The Argentineans? The Dutch? The Spanish? The French?
The reasons lie beyond mere football and have been touched upon in this thread.

RIP Bestie
11-07-2018, 11:59 AM
You also wear Hearts shirts in your local though lol.

If England win the night it Winnie be a semi it will be a full blown hardon. Might even consider wearing the 3 lions in ma local. Send yi a picture.

Seveno
11-07-2018, 12:03 PM
I have huge respect for Gareth Southgate and enjoying their young hard grafting team.

I’ll be watching it tonight with two English mates and cheering on England.

Stranraer
11-07-2018, 12:06 PM
Oh the media are going way over the top which although it's predictable still puts me off the team. Come on Croatia!

Chic Murray
11-07-2018, 12:06 PM
If you genuinely believe that Scotland was built on the hatred of England then fair enough. I'll bail out and let you continue on your crusade.

Where did I say that?

Big_Franck
11-07-2018, 12:08 PM
Where did I say that?

His quote showed you'd said that. Before you then went back and edited it of course. Can only imagine you did that as you realised you were talking p1sh again.

Chic Murray
11-07-2018, 12:10 PM
His quote showed you'd said that. Before you then went back and edited it of course. Can only imagine you did that as you realised you were talking p1sh again.

Sorry, who are you?

[Edit]

Here's the original post.

That's a question, not a statement.

Really no need to be offensive now, is there?

we are hibs
11-07-2018, 12:17 PM
Sorry, who are you?

[Edit]

Here's the original post.

That's a question, not a statement.

Really no need to be offensive now, is there?

You were the one calling people who follow Scotland all over the world alcoholics, tbf.

norhfc
11-07-2018, 12:21 PM
See it from the English, indeed any other countries point of view: Celtic, Rangers, Celtic, Rangers, Celtic, Rangers, Celtic, Rangers, Celtic, Rangers.....repeat ad nauseum

Not a single club outwith these two has won the league championship in over 3 decades.
Imagine Man U winning 9 league championships on the trot?
It's understandable that they view Scottish football as a "duopoly" with no serious competition beyond these stone-age rivals.

Why focus on wanting the England national team to lose? Why not every nation that similarly looks down at Scottish football? The Germans? The Argentineans? The Dutch? The Spanish? The French?
The reasons lie beyond mere football and have been touched upon in this thread.

You seem to be on your own personal crusade for support of the England team and disrespecting Scottish football, one wonders why, on this forum. As an experiment to your theory that its only Scots who dont like the English, post something positive about Scottish football on the BBC Football page on FB, even funnier, post something negative about England :aok:

Chic Murray
11-07-2018, 12:22 PM
You were the one calling people who follow Scotland all over the world alcoholics, tbf.

Tbf, I stand by that, but I didn't say my country was built on hatred. I was asking you, or somebody else, the question.

Col_0762
11-07-2018, 12:29 PM
Tbf, I stand by that, but I didn't say my country was built on hatred. I was asking you, or somebody else, the question.

You stand by everyone who follows Scotland abroad being alcoholics? Priceless.

Chic Murray
11-07-2018, 12:31 PM
You stand by everyone who follows Scotland abroad being alcoholics? Priceless.

Yes, isn't awful when people are judgemental?

Edit: and judge large groups of people based on their own personal prejudices. Some might call it rivalry, but they'd be in a minority, IMHO.

Col_0762
11-07-2018, 12:34 PM
Yes, isn't awful when people are judgemental?

Edit: and judge large groups of people based on their own personal prejudices. Some might call it rivalry, but they'd be in a minority, IMHO.

You must be great company at a football match. Though judging by your thoughts on football rivalry, I don’t think you’ve ever attended one.

Chic Murray
11-07-2018, 12:37 PM
You must be great company at a football match. Though judging by your thoughts on football rivalry, I don’t think you’ve ever attended one.

I dare say, I could say the same thing to you, but that would be getting personal, wouldn't it?

Are we done here?

Col_0762
11-07-2018, 12:40 PM
I dare say, I could say the same thing to you, but that would be getting personal, wouldn't it?

Are we done here?

We’re definately done here haha.

Edinburgh Green
11-07-2018, 12:41 PM
Poor Chic, taking every reply to him as a personal attack. Must be a tough life being that fragile.

Chic Murray
11-07-2018, 12:45 PM
Poor Chic, taking every reply to him as a personal attack. Must be a tough life being that fragile.

I can commit, if you can.

hibbydog
11-07-2018, 12:46 PM
Ach...I dont see a problem with people wanting England to lose. When it comes to sport, every small country in the world has a sizeable chip on the shoulder against the larger neighbours. Portugal/ Spain, NZ/ Australia etc

I dont want them to win, but really dont have much vitriol for them. Gareth Southgate is quote a likeable chap- humble, understated, bookish - everything you DONT associate with the England football team.

I think a lot of the anti-english nonsense is driven by jealousy. It's been 20 years since we were anywhere near a world cup and if it were Scotland making the latter stages, we'd well and truly be lapping it up and enjoying the ride. Mind when Scotland played Brazil on the first day of France 98? It was like Christmas day !!!

So fair play to them. I hope they have a good time but dont win the world cup.

Cheers

Edinburgh Green
11-07-2018, 12:47 PM
I can commit, if you can.

commit to what?

Chic Murray
11-07-2018, 12:49 PM
commit to what?

Sorry, just a bit of hetero banter there, old mucker. I thought that's what you were after when you called me fragile.

I reckon this is where we get off. :bye:

HUTCHYHIBBY
11-07-2018, 12:53 PM
People follow the Scotland national team because they are Scottish, theres no need to over complicate it. I've never wore a kilt, I've never wore a hat with a feather in it, been to some great places following my nation though.

Keith_M
11-07-2018, 01:08 PM
If Hearts are contesting a Semi Final, do I want them to lose? Yes

Do I want England to lose tonight's Semi Final? Yes.

Does that make me a bitter and twisted football fan? Probably

Finally, do I give a jot if that annoys anybody? I think you can guess the answer to that one :wink:

Edinburgh Green
11-07-2018, 01:14 PM
Sorry, just a bit of hetero banter there, old mucker. I thought that's what you were after when you called me fragile.

I reckon this is where we get off. :bye:

Get off if you wish, I'm happy where I am.

A question for you. Why do you and your fellow England fans care who any non-English person supports?

If it was roles revered I wouldn't care less if anyone outside of Scotland wasn't supporting us or actively wanting us to lose.

Sammy7nil
11-07-2018, 01:16 PM
If Hearts are contesting a Semi Final, do I want them to lose? Yes

Do I want England to lose tonight's Semi Final? Yes.

Does that make me a bitter and twisted football fan? Probably

Finally, do I give a jot if that annoys anybody? I think you can guess the answer to that one :wink:

I think you do care and would show it be responding to criticism :greengrin

One Day Soon
11-07-2018, 01:29 PM
Ach...I dont see a problem with people wanting England to lose. When it comes to sport, every small country in the world has a sizeable chip on the shoulder against the larger neighbours. Portugal/ Spain, NZ/ Australia etc

I dont want them to win, but really dont have much vitriol for them. Gareth Southgate is quote a likeable chap- humble, understated, bookish - everything you DONT associate with the England football team.

I think a lot of the anti-english nonsense is driven by jealousy. It's been 20 years since we were anywhere near a world cup and if it were Scotland making the latter stages, we'd well and truly be lapping it up and enjoying the ride. Mind when Scotland played Brazil on the first day of France 98? It was like Christmas day !!!

Cheers

**** me, a sensible and balanced post on a thread about England.

One Day Soon
11-07-2018, 01:31 PM
I think you do care and would show it be responding to criticism :greengrin

You'r being over sensitive.

Haymaker
11-07-2018, 01:45 PM
Mon the Croats.

Hibbyradge
11-07-2018, 05:46 PM

Cheers

That's almost exactly how I feel.

The only differences being that I have an English wife, I live in York and I took England to win it outright, each way.

Pretty much a win win situation for me.

Chic Murray
11-07-2018, 06:01 PM
Get off if you wish, I'm happy where I am.

A question for you. Why do you and your fellow England fans care who any non-English person supports?

If it was roles revered I wouldn't care less if anyone outside of Scotland wasn't supporting us or actively wanting us to lose.

Where did I say I was supporting England?

I said I wasn't supporting their opponents.

Jones28
11-07-2018, 06:06 PM

BullsCloseHibs
11-07-2018, 06:10 PM
Even the Spartak boys haven't tested these muppets!

Hi Heid Yin
11-07-2018, 06:48 PM
You seem to be on your own personal crusade for support of the England team and disrespecting Scottish football, one wonders why, on this forum. As an experiment to your theory that its only Scots who dont like the English, post something positive about Scottish football on the BBC Football page on FB, even funnier, post something negative about England :aok:

Lol. Seriously I'm not. I simply feel that I sometimes have to address those xenophobic Scots who pretend that their resentment and dislike of the English is purely restricted to sport and English commentators, when the reality is that it runs deeper.

I do confess to wanting all British teams to do well in tournaments - probably as a consequence of having travelled all over the world and my military background with The British Forces. I have relatives who have never lived any where but Scotland and I do detect a stronger anti-English vibe running through them.
Yes, other countries do indeed suffer from their share of Anglophobes - France, Argentina and Germany spring to mind.

As for my talking up Scottish football: hey, I do this all the time. I'm always telling my relatives down south how wonderful Hibs are and how uneducated and biased football supporters are down there regarding footie up here. The Scottish cup final footage of the massed ranks of the Hibernian support belting out "Sunshine On Leith" never fails to impress them. I've got family down in Devon who even tune in to watch Hibs any time they are on the box and, again, they are impressed by our packed stadium, the atmosphere and the footie on offer - they even know who "Wee Louis Stevenson is"

I lived down south and went to watch Swindon Town for a few years..Arsenal too..I can honestly say that there is an exaggeration about how good the footie is down there and how poor it is up here. The truth falls somewhere in the middle. The EPL is without question a fantastic league, but not every game is a cracker. Hibs, for me, have been a joy to watch these past few years and the football on offer is up there with the best in the Championship, maybe even the lower reaches of the EPL! I relay this to anyone down there who will listen.

madhatter
11-07-2018, 07:17 PM
Lol. Seriously I'm not. I simply feel that I sometimes have to address those xenophobic Scots who pretend that their resentment and dislike of the English is purely restricted to sport and English commentators, when the reality is that it runs deeper.

I do confess to wanting all British teams to do well in tournaments - probably as a consequence of having travelled all over the world and my military background with The British Forces. I have relatives who have never lived any where but Scotland and I do detect a stronger anti-English vibe running through them.
Yes, other countries do indeed suffer from their share of Anglophobes - France, Argentina and Germany spring to mind.

As for my talking up Scottish football: hey, I do this all the time. I'm always telling my relatives down south how wonderful Hibs are and how uneducated and biased football supporters are down there regarding footie up here. The Scottish cup final footage of the massed ranks of the Hibernian support belting out "Sunshine On Leith" never fails to impress them. I've got family down in Devon who even tune in to watch Hibs any time they are on the box and, again, they are impressed by our packed stadium, the atmosphere and the footie on offer - they even know who "Wee Louis Stevenson is"

I lived down south and went to watch Swindon Town for a few years..Arsenal too..I can honestly say that there is an exaggeration about how good the footie is down there and how poor it is up here. The truth falls somewhere in the middle. The EPL is without question a fantastic league, but not every game is a cracker. Hibs, for me, have been a joy to watch these past few years and the football on offer is up there with the best in the Championship, maybe even the lower reaches of the EPL! I relay this to anyone down there who will listen.

Could it be argued that Anglophobes and Scotophobes are just a by-product of the exposure to the people they eventually hold some resentment towards? A Scottish guy bullied at school by a English guy, and vice versa. What do you get when you have a Scotophobe in a room with a reasoned Scotsman, does one take the moral high ground and alleviate the "phobia" of the other? Unlikely, lock them in the room long enough and you'd probably end up opening the door to an Anglophobe and an Scotophobe. Again, this is a football forum though, this is getting silly, almost getting a phobia about all this talk of phobias. People resent and dislike many people across the world. I don't see any issue with it unless they are aggressive towards anybody. Most of the world resents North Korea at the moment. People talk poorly about countries all over the world even though they haven't visited. This is typically led by media coverage.

I know nothing about North Korea but have a feeling of resentment, nothing aggressive obviously. This is clearly solely led by media coverage and information shared from sources, not personal experience. Never underestimate the influence media can have on the mentality of the people exposed to it. England has flipped from "they are young, lets see how we do" to "it's coming home" and shops closing down in a matter of weeks, media influences this.

A large proportion of Scotland not liking/being indifferent towards England is not a crime. I dislike many people, never hurt one of them though and never abuse any of them due to where they come from. Due to the population difference I'd also argue you'd end up finding more people in England that don't like Scottish people - those lazy people that we give more to than they put into the economy, leeches was banded about quite a bit during the Scottish Referendum for example. I can guarantee that had nothing to do with football or any sport, that was a clear dislike of Scottish people and Scotland. Again, based on what media have circulated to the masses and people's interpretation of that material.

Hi Heid Yin
11-07-2018, 07:32 PM
Could it be argued that Anglophobes and Scotophobes are just a by-product of the exposure to the people they eventually hold some resentment towards? A Scottish guy bullied at school by a English guy, and vice versa. What do you get when you have a Scotophobe in a room with a reasoned Scotsman, does one take the moral high ground and alleviate the "phobia" of the other? Unlikely, lock them in the room long enough and you'd probably end up opening the door to an Anglophobe and an Scotophobe. Again, this is a football forum though, this is getting silly, almost getting a phobia about all this talk of phobias. People resent and dislike many people across the world. I don't see any issue with it unless they are aggressive towards anybody. Most of the world resents North Korea at the moment. People talk poorly about countries all over the world even though they haven't visited. This is typically led by media coverage.

I know nothing about North Korea but have a feeling of resentment, nothing aggressive obviously. This is clearly solely led by media coverage and information shared from sources, not personal experience. Never underestimate the influence media can have on the mentality of the people exposed to it. England has flipped from "they are young, lets see how we do" to "it's coming home" and shops closing down in a matter of weeks, media influences this.

A large proportion of Scotland not liking/being indifferent towards England is not a crime. I dislike many people, never hurt one of them though and never abuse any of them due to where they come from. Due to the population difference I'd also argue you'd end up finding more people in England that don't like Scottish people - those lazy people that we give more to than they put into the economy, leeches was banded about quite a bit during the Scottish Referendum for example. I can guarantee that had nothing to do with football or any sport, that was a clear dislike of Scottish people and Scotland. Again, based on what media have circulated to the masses and people's interpretation of that material.

Fair do's:aok:

MrSmith
11-07-2018, 08:15 PM

Spot on mate and totally put the paid for SIU forum person in their box!

MacGruber
11-07-2018, 08:17 PM
If a player tackled studs up and square into the knee its a red card, especially if they ont play the ball with the studs up straight leg. If its a keeper its a good save?

BullsCloseHibs
11-07-2018, 08:23 PM
Let's see the fan-zones now 👍😭😭😭

LancashireHibby
11-07-2018, 08:33 PM
I know quite a few lads who have travelled over during the course of the tournament and quite a few for tonight with open tickets depending on the result. Genuinely feel for them. The beer chucking ambulance jumpers can GTF though. Still time for an equaliser, mind.

erin go bragh
11-07-2018, 08:39 PM
Yeeeeeeeeeeeesssssssss . England’s going home 😂😂😂

SRHibs
11-07-2018, 08:42 PM
They tried hard but they just lack the quality to be honest. Kane is a poor man’s Jamie Maclaren.

we are hibs
11-07-2018, 08:46 PM
Let's be honest. It was never happening. They gave it a decent go but unfortunately they are mentally weak and will never win another major tournament for years to come. Their whole mentality stinks "getting to the semis makes them national heros" can you imagine the Argentina or Germany fans/media saying That?

Pretty Boy
11-07-2018, 08:48 PM
Let's be honest. It was never happening. They gave it a decent go but unfortunately they are mentally weak and will never win another major tournament for years to come. Their whole mentality stinks "getting to the semis makes them national heros" can you imagine the Argentina or Germany fans/media saying That?

The Germans did in 2006.

Similarities with this England team too. Young team, 1st najor tournament together, a feeling there was better to come.

lord bunberry
11-07-2018, 08:48 PM
England fans scrapping in our hotel in Turkey. Absolute animals when they lose, women and children running for cover.

Nameless
11-07-2018, 08:50 PM
That team, with Southgate in charge will win the Euros. France will win the World Cup final, but in 2 years I think this England team could be on par with them. Decent game, the better team one, but they have certainly not embarrassed themselves.

Big_Franck
11-07-2018, 08:51 PM
England fans scrapping in our hotel in Turkey. Absolute animals when they lose, women and children running for cover.

My mate's in Greece and just text me saying similar. They just can't handle it when they get pumped oot. Feel for them :greengrin.

Since90+2
11-07-2018, 08:55 PM
Brilliant. England's coming home.

Since90+2
11-07-2018, 08:55 PM
That team, with Southgate in charge will win the Euros. France will win the World Cup final, but in 2 years I think this England team could be on par with them. Decent game, the better team one, but they have certainly not embarrassed themselves.

They'll win nout. That was their chance and they bottled it. Class.

SRHibs
11-07-2018, 08:57 PM

Croatia were miles better for 2/3rds of the game. I wouldn’t consider myself at all anti-English, but they really were nothing special in this tournament. Their only convincing games were vs Sweden and Panama. There’s nothing there to suggest they will be anywhere near France’s level.

Nameless
11-07-2018, 09:00 PM
Croatia were miles better for 2/3rds of the game. I wouldn’t consider myself at all anti-English, but they really were nothing special in this tournament. Their only convincing games were vs Sweden and Panama. There’s nothing there to suggest they will be anywhere near France’s level.A young inexperienced team, who were "nothing special" (your words) , still managed to get to the Semis - in 2 years they will be even better than they are now.

Just Alf
11-07-2018, 09:02 PM

Sent from my D5503 using TapatalkAgree with this... sitting with some of "them"... theyre my mates , so will give it a wee bit before I mention it... seriously tho... if it was us I'd be a wee bit pissed.... so near....

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Since90+2
11-07-2018, 09:02 PM
A young inexperienced team, who were "nothing special" (your words) , still managed to get to the Semis - in 2 years they will be even better than they are now.

Best team they beat in 90 minutes was Sweden. As soon as they played a decent side they were shown up.

SRHibs
11-07-2018, 09:03 PM
A young inexperienced team, who were "nothing special" (your words) , still managed to get to the Semis - in 2 years they will be even better than they are now.

Yes, it’s nothing special. At face value, getting to the semis is impressive, but considering their run any England team should be expecting to reach the semis if drawn against those teams.

They’ve lost to the only decent team they’ve played - a team who most wouldn’t put in their top 5.

No-one can say they didn’t put the effort in, but there are at east a half-dozen countries with far superior squads to England.

Nameless
11-07-2018, 09:07 PM
Best team they beat in 90 minutes was Sweden. As soon as they played a decent side they were shown up.I completely agree, and I never doubted that Croatia would beat them. The commentator actually said that Modric has more medals than the whole England squad, so that shows the difference in experience between the two teams - I just feel in 2 years things will be very different.

Hi Heid Yin
11-07-2018, 09:08 PM
Spot on mate and totally put the paid for SIU forum person in their box!

Still trolling I see, Mr Smith.
You really can't help yourself can you?

hibbydog
11-07-2018, 09:08 PM
Yes, it’s nothing special. At face value, getting to the semis is impressive, but considering their run any England team should be expecting to reach the semis if drawn against those teams.

They’ve lost to the only decent team they’ve played - a team who most wouldn’t put in their top 5.

No-one can say they didn’t put the effort in, but there are at east a half-dozen countries with far superior squads to England.

Agreed.

Their run to the semis is more to do with the draw. Yes, you can only beat who is in front of you but I think they are nothing more than competent at that level.

MrSmith
11-07-2018, 09:11 PM
Still trolling I see, Mr Smith.
You really can't help yourself can you?

I absolutely know one when I see it! You’ll be found out mate!

Hi Heid Yin
11-07-2018, 09:18 PM
I absolutely know one when I see it! You’ll be found out mate!

You are one sad individual Mr Smith, with one huge chip on his shoulders.

MrSmith
11-07-2018, 09:19 PM
You are one sad individual Mr Smith, with one huge chip on his shoulders.

I sure am so, go ahead and do what you do best ... report me! And, report back to your party too :aok:

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
11-07-2018, 09:24 PM

I see what you mean, but not many tournaments open up the way that this one did, and this one was without Holland and Italy

One Day Soon
11-07-2018, 09:25 PM
I sure am so, go ahead and do what you do best ... report me! And, report back to your party too :aok:

Which party is that then?

norhfc
11-07-2018, 09:27 PM
Can we finally put this to bed now, Lennon’s lips and the other guy, away back to your Scotland in union pish, your party’s over.

Hi Heid Yin
11-07-2018, 09:28 PM

Lol. I'm actually laughing at the absurdity of your constant referrals to some party you infer that I belong to.
You are one strange individual with a vivid imagination.

One Day Soon
11-07-2018, 09:31 PM
Well the whole England adventure has certainly served the useful purpose of differentiating between the people who wanted England to lose because of football rivalry or due to the behaviour of their commentators and those who are just off the scale embarrassingly wibbling at the moon with their anti-Englishness.

Hi Heid Yin
11-07-2018, 09:34 PM
Well the whole England adventure has certainly served the useful purpose of differentiating between the people who wanted England to lose because of football rivalry or due to the behaviour of their commentators and those who are just off the scale embarrassingly wibbling at the moon with their anti-Englishness.

:tee hee::tee hee: That made me chortle