PDA

View Full Version : Poor show for a legend

CLASS OF 72 -73
08-07-2018, 08:52 PM
While I understand the time of year, a European tie coming up, the fact we have shown massive support since winning the cup and achieving promotion we can't muster 7k for a local Hibs legend. Shame on us. Any long standing posters welcome to have a go I will fund you with my credentials and yes I was there.

Brightside
08-07-2018, 08:53 PM
This won’t go well. 😂

BILLYHIBS
08-07-2018, 08:55 PM
While I understand the time of year, a European tie coming up, the fact we have shown massive support since winning the cup and achieving promotion we can't muster 7k for a local Hibs legend. Shame on us. Any long standing posters welcome to have a go I will fund you with my credentials and yes I was there.
:top marks

jacomo
08-07-2018, 08:55 PM
7k for a testimonial, during peak holiday season.

Not too bad at all, or am I missing something?

madhatter
08-07-2018, 08:59 PM
Shame on the fans who pay to watch football for not showing up.

Give some leniency to the football manager who cannot be bothered doing an interview after a club legends testimonial. Who incidentally is paid to be the manager of Hibs.

Well done to Mowbray for turning up and doing an interview :top marks

I’m sure Paul wants people to take their displeasure to fans forums and criticise fellow fans. I’m certain that’s what he’ll want.

matty_f
08-07-2018, 09:01 PM
I'd say credit to all of those who made it along today to pay tribute to Paul. I don't think there's a negative here, the game was never going to sell out, and I reckon Paul would have been very humbled by the turn out.

CLASS OF 72 -73
08-07-2018, 09:03 PM

Give some leniency to the football manager who cannot be bothered doing an interview after a club legends testimonial. Who incidentally is paid to be the manager of Hibs.

I’m sure Paul wants people to take their displeasure to fans forums and criticise fellow fans. I’m certain that’s what he’ll want.

Fair

Sammy7nil
08-07-2018, 09:10 PM

Here Hear :agree::wink:

coco22
08-07-2018, 09:16 PM
I have massive respect for PH, rate him as a guy and a player, have been following Hibs since before his time and was unable to attend today. Have donated accordingly.

My point is...I’ve attended Testimonial games for as many players who have earned them - most being great occasions and (the earlier ones) hopefully providing some financial boost as required. Is the whole thing, while worthwhile in my opinion, less appealing to some and less likely to draw a crowd reflective of the genuine love of the support?

kaimendhibs
08-07-2018, 09:18 PM
I bought a ticket but couldn't go.

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

Pretty Boy
08-07-2018, 09:18 PM
Nobody knows what anyone elses circumstances are so passing comment on other peoples non attendance is a bit off imo.

Football takes up a lot of peoples times throughout the year and it costs a lot of money. At this time of year STs are being paid for, at least one European game is going to have to be paid for, bairns want the new strip and so on. Add to that a lot of people are either on holiday, saving the last of their spending money to go on holiday or are either spending money on additional childcare during the school holidays or paying for day trips to keep kids entertained. It's a time of year when people have weddings, people will be invited to BBQs, days out with friends, golfers have the start of their club championships about now and so on. Considering all of the above then I think circa 7K for a kick about is pretty good going. It's probably comparable to what we will get in the 1st LC game we play.

Aside from anything else no one has to justify how they spend their spare time to anyone else. I said it earlier but some of the comments on the other thread about folk 'being tight' and so on were just rude. I couldn't afford to go today, that's a fact, not an excuse.

WestStandMoaner
08-07-2018, 09:19 PM

Its an embarrassing crowd for Paul, I'm not having ago at fans as there is a number of contribution factors many of which you mention. The main one for me is having a testimonial as part of your pre season games is nonsense.

Both Paul and Lewis should have had better opponents and both testimonials should have been played in season

not sure who is to blame for making these decisions it's just disappointing

JimboHibs
08-07-2018, 09:22 PM

Hmmm you understand but still have a go ?

Cat Stanton
08-07-2018, 09:27 PM

I'm in Spain - bugger off.

Bishop Hibee
08-07-2018, 09:27 PM
£20 today, £23 on Thursday plus lots of people on holiday. I thought we might get 8K but not that surprised all things considered

Heckys Wheel
08-07-2018, 09:28 PM
41,000 Rangers fans at Ibrox on Friday night during “the holiday season”. Also have a Euro game on Thursday. Have all the same excuses available that we’re hearing for not attending a legend’s testimonial.

If there’s reason enough to attend, these excuses disappear. If it was a derby, if we had a big name new manager or a Euro place was on the line, the place would’ve been full.

The argument is why people don’t see a Hibs legend’s testimonial as a good reason to show up. It’s a poor show but anybody can come up with flimsy reason not to go. There’s plenty mentioned in this thread already.

madhatter
08-07-2018, 09:31 PM
Its an embarrassing crowd for Paul, I'm not having ago at fans as there is a number of contribution factors many of which you mention. The main one for me is having a testimonial as part of your pre season games is nonsense.

Both Paul and Lewis should have had better opponents and both testimonials should have been played in season

Tickets should have been cheaper if they wanted more people. I’d imagine the club knew getting high numbers at this stage of the season was unlikely so kept the ticket price at that level to raise the money gained.

Timing and pricing are wrong in my opinion. However, if we get 2k less fans turning up due to the higher cost but more money goes to charity, surely Paul and all fans will be happy?

I’d take more money than more fans for this game. Means Paul gets a decent amount and a decent amount goes to charity. Make it £10 a head for adults and we’d need to double the attendance which would never happen.

I say well done to those that turned up, hats off. I didn’t go because I couldn’t be bothered, not going to lie, I went to Murray and Stevenson’s ones and thought they were pretty stale. Murray’s was actually the best due to the old club legends that returned to play. I think fans still deserve to be entertained even during testimonials, somehow they’ve become glorified friendlies which I hate.

marinello59
08-07-2018, 09:31 PM
I'd say credit to all of those who made it along today to pay tribute to Paul. I don't think there's a negative here, the game was never going to sell out, and I reckon Paul would have been very humbled by the turn out.

Spot on.

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
08-07-2018, 09:33 PM
41,000 Rangers fans at Ibrox on Friday night during “the holiday season”. Also have a Euro game on Thursday. Have all the same excuses available that we’re hearing for not attending a legend’s testimonial.

If there’s reason enough to attend, these excuses disappear. If it was a derby, if we had a big name new manager or a Euro place was on the line, the place would’ve been full.

The argument is why people don’t see a Hibs legend’s testimonial as a good reason to show up. It’s a poor show but anybody can come up with flimsy reason not to go. There’s plenty mentioned in this thread already.

Rangers are a much bigger club with a much bigger support.

It was a crap match, against crap opposition.

Of course people would have made more effort for a derby or a big European match, what a daft analogy.

I would change plans to attend those matches. I wouldn't go out my way to watch a crap friendly against a crap team in pre-season. It's really not that difficult to understand.

Also, what would you have said was a respectable crowd?

SideBurns
08-07-2018, 09:34 PM
Jesus, why are we doing this? If you were there, magic. If you weren't, I'd assume if it wasn't because you think Hanlon is an undeserving case and boycotted it.

As a fantastic professional, Paul will know that the Runavik game is far more important to Hibs and anyone who had to choose between today's game and Thursday's has made the correct decision.

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
08-07-2018, 09:35 PM
Tickets should have been cheaper if they wanted more people. I’d imagine the club knew getting high numbers at this stage of the season was unlikely so kept the ticket price at that level to raise the money gained.

Timing and pricing are wrong in my opinion. However, if we get 2k less fans turning up due to the higher cost but more money goes to charity, surely Paul and all fans will be happy?

I’d take more money than more fans for this game. Means Paul gets a decent amount and a decent amount goes to charity. Make it £10 a head for adults and we’d need to double the attendance which would never happen.

I say well done to those that turned up, hats off. I didn’t go because I couldn’t be bothered, not going to lie, I went to Murray and Stevenson’s ones and thought they were pretty stale. Murray’s was actually the best due to the old club legends that returned to play. I think fans still deserve to be entertained even during testimonials, somehow they’ve become glorified friendlies which I hate.

Well said. Murray getting one to begin with was ridiculous imo and I didn't go out of principle to that one.

madhatter
08-07-2018, 09:37 PM

I don’t need a reason not to go to ER, neither does anybody else. When did supporting a team become a duty? My money and my time are just that, mine. What is the world coming to...

41k fans turned up on Friday night, so many opportunities to poke fun into that but I’ll just avoid that. Real Madrid had more fans turn up for a new player doing keppie uppies, when do we stop comparing ourselves to other teams, I’ve not got the hang of this yet...

Heckys Wheel
08-07-2018, 09:41 PM
Rangers are a much bigger club with a much bigger support.

Of course people would have made more effort for a derby or a big European match, what a daft analogy.

I would change plans to attend those matches. I wouldn't go out my way to watch a crap friendly against a crap team in pre-season. It's really not that difficult to understand.

Also, what would you have said was a respectable crowd?

Describing a Hibs legend’s testimonial as a crap friendly against a crap team pretty much makes my point.

Scottie
08-07-2018, 09:41 PM
Congratulations Paul on your day and well done all who could attend or donated. :aok:

madhatter
08-07-2018, 09:47 PM
Describing a Hibs legend’s testimonial as a crap friendly against a crap team pretty much makes my point.

Badly organised event at a poor time, is that your point?

I watched today’s game on Hibs TV, it was a crap friendly and Blackburn are not a team that excites many a football fan (could be perceived as a crap team). The testimonial is only a label for a friendly these days, up to organisers to change that.

Make it an end of season event against ex-players if we can’t get exciting team to come. Pre-season testimonials are nothing but a glorified friendly with water breaks, endless subs and players who aren’t match sharp.

Scottie
08-07-2018, 09:50 PM
Badly organised event at a poor time, is that your point?

I watched today’s game on Hibs TV, it was a crap friendly and Blackburn are not a team that excites many a football fan (could be perceived as a crap team). The testimonial is only a label for a friendly these days, up to organisers to change that.

Make it an end of season event against ex-players if we can’t get exciting team to come. Pre-season testimonials are nothing but a glorified friendly with water breaks, endless subs and players who aren’t match sharp.
Should maybe invited 'The Huns or The Savills ' as Pauls opponents today. Would have guaranteed a larger crowd and a few broken legs :wink:

jakedance
08-07-2018, 09:55 PM
It’s a slightly weird world where people with a job we’d all desperately like to have, that pays considerably more than most of us can dream of ever earning, are given a match in their honour.

I’m not against testimonials, and I’m a big fan of PH, but going along to these games is very much a personal choice. None of us owe Paul Hanlon anything. I was at Lewis’ game, enjoyed it enough and applauded him on his lap of honour, but today I chose to take my daughter to the event in Princes Street Gardens instead. No regrets. Pre-season friendlies are ***** and, for me, there are better things to do on a sunny day than pay through the nose for one.

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
08-07-2018, 09:55 PM

Imo, modern football players should not get testimonials. Therefore the only reason I would really attend one, is the attractiveness of the fixture. A rubbish time, fairly steep, and and effectively a pre-season warm up against a team I have zero interest in seeing, made it an easy decision to give it a miss.

It was in no way a reflection of my esteem for Hanlon - instead it was a reflection on my feelings towards friendlies.

Paul Hanlon is a wealthy young man, doing an amazing job and I support him everytime he plays for Hibs. Why he needs a testimonial in his mid 20s is beyond me. If he had to have one, should have been later in his career.

But you never answered my question, what would you have said was reasonable crowd?

SirDavidsNapper
08-07-2018, 09:57 PM
7k for a testimonial, during peak holiday season.

Not too bad at all, or am I missing something?

Excellent for what was a friendly against Blackburn Rovers at the start of the school holidays

SquashedFrogg
08-07-2018, 09:59 PM
Excellent for what was a friendly against Blackburn Rovers at the start of the school holidays

Totally agree with this. Not sure what people were expecting tbh.

guthrie01
08-07-2018, 09:59 PM

Tickets are priced at just £12 for adults, £8 for concession and £4 for children

According to the Rangers website for the Bury game. Nearly half the price of today’s game.

Had Hibs went with those kind of prices then I suspect many more people would of came to Paul’s game including myself. You need to consider not everyone lives in Edinburgh so travel costs adding to this game and the Europe games then it’s no surprise only 7k turned up.

BILLYHIBS
08-07-2018, 10:00 PM
7k? Where did that come from? Looked like 5k from where I was sitting. Maybe the other 2k were seagulls?

I take the point in what the majority are saying re affordability and time of year pricing and with a European game on the horizon and perhaps not appropriate to raise this thread as his testimonial celebrations are still ongoing as others have pointed out PH is a true professional a humble guy HIBS through and through deserves our total respect and would no doubt be saddened to hear of any negative criticism of his testimonial on these threads.

I was also disappointed to read that Neil Lennon would not give an interview to congratulate PH on his HIBS career gaining a testimonial and being a loyal servant and model professional to HIBS through good times and bad a rare achievement nowadays .

Respect !

:not worth

The Modfather
I don’t need a reason not to go to ER, neither does anybody else. When did supporting a team become a duty? My money and my time are just that, mine. What is the world coming to...

41k fans turned up on Friday night, so many opportunities to poke fun into that but I’ll just avoid that. Real Madrid had more fans turn up for a new player doing keppie uppies, when do we stop comparing ourselves to other teams, I’ve not got the hang of this yet...

Spot on. I didn’t go today as I simply didn’t want to go. A dull barely competitive friendly lazily dressed up as a testimonial didn’t appeal to me, Paul Hanlon or no Paul Hanlon. I don’t go to many friendlies as they are usually dull as dishwater.

As Madhatter points out, I don’t have a duty to attend Hibs games, it’s just a game of football at the end of the day, I go through choice. I choose to go to the majority of competitive games (certainly at home anyway) but don’t give it a second thought when I choose to do something else with my time.

neil7908

Cool, next time you miss a game go and post the reason on here and we can all dissect it and give you grief. Or better yet, maybe we just need you to provide us with a list of pre approved reasons for missing a game? That way we can all know if what we're doing is OK or not.

My "excuse" is that I had other stuff I wanted to do on a beautiful summers day. Suggesting my actions are shameful somehow is not only nonsense but actually really offensive.

heretoday
08-07-2018, 10:02 PM
It’s a slightly weird world where people with a job we’d all desperately like to have, that pays considerably more than most of us can dream of ever earning, are given a match in their honour.

I’m not against testimonials, and I’m a big fan of PH, but going along to these games is very much a personal choice. None of us owe Paul Hanlon anything. I was at Lewis’ game, enjoyed it enough and applauded him on his lap of honour, but today I chose to take my daughter to the event in Princes Street Gardens instead. No regrets. Pre-season friendlies are ***** and, for me, there are better things to do on a sunny day than pay through the nose for one.

You're right.

One Day Soon
08-07-2018, 10:04 PM
Respectable number for time of year and type of game, Lennon interview issue a complete non issue.

Ozyhibby
08-07-2018, 10:05 PM
Thought it was a good crowd to be honest. Pre season friendlies are mince so to get 7k there is brilliant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One Day Soon
08-07-2018, 10:05 PM
Cool, next time you miss a game go and post the reason on here and we can all dissect it and give you grief. Or better yet, maybe we just need you to provide us with a list of pre approved reasons for missing a game? That way we can all know if what we're doing is OK or not.

My "excuse" is that I had other stuff I wanted to do on a beautiful summers day. Suggesting my actions are shameful somehow is not only nonsense but actually really offensive.

Well, that's a spanking and a half.

madhatter
08-07-2018, 10:10 PM
Respectable number for time of year and type of game, Lennon interview issue a complete non issue.

I agree, but why do most fans write off Lennon’s lack of interview but then question fans for not paying £20 to respect Paul (as if turning up every week to support him and the team isn’t enough)?

Mowbray did an interview, Lennon chose not to. Non issue.
6.5k fans turned up, many fans chose not to. Let the witch hunt begin! Almost got interrogations going on here with “excuses” being critiqued.

Lennon’s paid by Hibs, I’m not. His time can be critiqued to a degree due to his position. Mine as a fan cannot, I choose to support Hibs, I give them money, they give me nothing beyond entertainment. Hibs vs Blackburn in a friendly is not entertaining to me. Labelled as a testimonial or not.

You are right, decent numbers turned up. We need to move on. Thursday is the focus

SirDavidsNapper
08-07-2018, 10:11 PM
The likes of Dundee, Motherwell, St Mirren etc would love to get a crowd that big for a league game.

SON OF PADDY
08-07-2018, 10:21 PM

Sadly I have to agree with you ! 🙄

BILLYHIBS
08-07-2018, 10:27 PM
There was only approx 4,000 in attendance
Sadly have to agree and so far looks like most of the posters on here weren’t there. Not judging anyone !

Gatecrasher
08-07-2018, 10:29 PM
The likes of Dundee, Motherwell, St Mirren etc would love to get a crowd that big for a league game.
Regardless of what you think of the turn out today those clubs aren’t the level we should be measuring ourselves against.

i enjoyed a nice day in the sun at Easter Road today,the result didn’t matter and no one got injured. Hope PH had a nice day as well.

Brightside
08-07-2018, 10:39 PM
I agree, but why do most fans write off Lennon’s lack of interview but then question fans for not paying £20 to respect Paul (as if turning up every week to support him and the team isn’t enough)?

Mowbray did an interview, Lennon chose not to. Non issue.
6.5k fans turned up, many fans chose not to. Let the witch hunt begin! Almost got interrogations going on here with “excuses” being critiqued.

Lennon’s paid by Hibs, I’m not. His time can be critiqued to a degree due to his position. Mine as a fan cannot, I choose to support Hibs, I give them money, they give me nothing beyond entertainment. Hibs vs Blackburn in a friendly is not entertaining to me. Labelled as a testimonial or not.

You are right, decent numbers turned up. We need to move on. Thursday is the focus

The Lennon digs are mental. How did it compare at all. If Lennon had agreed to play a ukulele at half time would we have had 3000 more? People don’t wont to go? That’s up to them. I might not be delighted with that but it’s got nothing to do with what lennon does pre post or during the game. People make their own decisions and lets not use Lennon as a possible post excuse.

madhatter
08-07-2018, 10:41 PM
Sadly have to agree and so far looks like most of the posters on here weren’t there. Not judging anyone !

Getting a testimonial when you are 28 is just silly, especially for a defender. He could play until he is 38 if he keeps himself in shape and reads the game well.

Many people who didn’t go, couldn’t, some could and didn’t but donated, some could but didn’t and did something completely different without donating.

Many people went, and enjoyed the game, some were bored, some were preoccupied with flying vermin, some viewed the flying vermin in a kinder light and pondered the cleanliness of the city, some were trying to keep their kids entertained because they were bored,

Variety of life is something to celebrate, not to ponder. I hope I never have to say “Reporting for duty” to gain entry to ER.

madhatter
08-07-2018, 10:46 PM
The Lennon digs are mental. How did it compare at all. If Lennon had agreed to play a ukulele at half time would we have had 3000 more? People don’t wont to go? That’s up to them. I might not be delighted with that but it’s got nothing to do with what lennon does pre post or during the game. People make their own decisions and lets not use Lennon as a possible post excuse.

I’m totally confused. I’ve not made any digs towards Lennon...

My point being, Lennon is an employee of Hibs and chose not to do interviews. You say that is fine I assume?

I am a supporter of Hibs and chose not to go to this testimonial. The message I’m getting is that isn’t fine and I should have viable reasons for such.

Employee of Hibs gets to pick and chose when he does duties I presume are somewhere on his contract but a fan who wilfully chooses to support Hibs through thick and thin has to have reasons for lack of support in certain games?

Lennon is not an excuse. I don’t need one. At this rate I’ll need an alibi for not turning up.

BILLYHIBS
08-07-2018, 10:54 PM
Getting a testimonial when you are 28 is just silly, especially for a defender. He could play until he is 38 if he keeps himself in shape and reads the game well.

Many people who didn’t go, couldn’t, some could and didn’t but donated, some could but didn’t and did something completely different without donating.

Many people went, and enjoyed the game, some were bored, some were preoccupied with flying vermin, some viewed the flying vermin in a kinder light and pondered the cleanliness of the city, some were trying to keep their kids entertained because they were bored,

Variety of life is something to celebrate, not to ponder. I hope I never have to say “Reporting for duty” to gain entry to ER.
My point was in agreement with the OP that it looked more like 5k than 7k in attendance if you were there you would agree but as you weren’t you can’t. As Bobby Williamson once famously said if you want entertainment go to the Cinema!:wink:

madhatter
08-07-2018, 10:59 PM
My point was in agreement with the OP that it looked more like 5k than 7k in attendance if you were there you would agree but as you weren’t you can’t. As Bobby Williamson once famously said if you want entertainment go to the Cinema!:wink:

I watched on HibsTV, it looked like 5-6k, seeing as the going count seems to be 6.5k then apart from someone doing a manual count (someone good at arithmetic while being bombed by gulls) it’s really just guessing tbh. I do go to the cinema :agree:

BILLYHIBS
08-07-2018, 11:05 PM
I watched on HibsTV, it looked like 5-6k, seeing as the going count seems to be 6.5k then apart from someone doing a manual count (someone good at arithmetic while being bombed by gulls) it’s really just guessing tbh. I do go to the cinema :agree:
Apologies hatter only winding you up couldnae resist it I can tell you are a good Hibby only my wee joke hope Apologies accepted and no hard feelings!

:thumbsup:

Ozyhibby
08-07-2018, 11:11 PM
The crowd would have looked lower on Hibs TV because sensible people were avoiding the east as the sun beating down and would have been a tad uncomfortable over there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

madhatter
08-07-2018, 11:11 PM
Apologies hatter only winding you up couldnae resist it I can tell you are a good Hibby only my wee joke hope Apologies accepted and no hard feelings!

No hard feelings whatsoever, this is a forum, I expect there to be different opinions and views, and the occasional wind-ups along the way! Can someone get in touch with the fan representative for the gulls and pass on our appreciation for their attendance :wink:

Joking aside, Barcahibs actually makes valid points about the gulls on the other thread.

BILLYHIBS
08-07-2018, 11:14 PM
No hard feelings whatsoever, this is a forum, I expect there to be different opinions and views, and the occasional wind-ups along the way! Can someone get in touch with the fan representative for the gulls and pass on our appreciation for their attendance :wink:

Joking aside, Barcahibs actually makes valid points about the gulls on the other thread.
Read it ! Already posted need to sign Peregrine Falcon before Scott Allan!

Hermit Crab
08-07-2018, 11:17 PM
I never went, sue me.

I have a 4 month old son and attended relatives birthday party with him today, given the choice I'd always choose the European match on Thursday over a friendly dressed as a testimonial. No brainer imo.

The £20 I saved buys my son two tins of SMA milk. He needs it more than Paul, sorry.

Hibbyradge
08-07-2018, 11:33 PM
£20 for an utterly meaningless game against a boring, drab outfit when the money isn't even going to end up in the wallet of the player whose testimonial it is?

I would probably have gone if I didn't live 200 miles away, but if you don't understand why people chose not to go then you need to work on your empathy.

Forza Fred
09-07-2018, 12:02 AM
I think the ‘testimonial’ is almost an achronism these days.

Many years ago, before even ‘squad rotation’ it was just about the only way that football clubs could find to ‘reward’ a player for long service, and was written into their contracts, and organised by the club, usually against generally enticing opposition.

Nowadays, it is ‘just another match’ and Impotantly, people can choose to not attend without it being a slight against the player involved.

Blackburn to me, would be about as enticing as soggy toast.....and that’s not to disrespect soggy toast.

Allant1981
09-07-2018, 06:47 AM
didnt go yesterday as i simply didnt want to, during the season im at most games so dont spend a lot of free time with the family so during the months when the season is finished thats our time to do family stuff

madhatter
09-07-2018, 07:00 AM
didnt go yesterday as i simply didnt want to, during the season im at most games so dont spend a lot of free time with the family so during the months when the season is finished thats our time to do family stuff

Lennon’s allowed to do that. You aren’t. :wink:

Obviously joking, fans should get a testimonial for what they sacrifice financially and socially to turn up to the football most weeks. We’ve got fans donating to HSL, buying STs, buying food or simply paying for transport on match day. Taking a break from any of that during the preseason makes sense to many and nobody should have to justify it. Hope you had a good time with the family.

GloriousHibs
09-07-2018, 07:13 AM
Four of my mates, their kids, me and my kids are in Greece/ Spain,
otherwise we would all have been present . This must be replicated dozens of times across Edinburgh and Lothians.
I would question the decision to hold a testimonial in trades, rather than criticise a low turnout tbh

MB62
09-07-2018, 07:16 AM
Jesus, why are we doing this? If you were there, magic. If you weren't, I'd assume if it wasn't because you think Hanlon is an undeserving case and boycotted it.

As a fantastic professional, Paul will know that the Runavik game is far more important to Hibs and anyone who had to choose between today's game and Thursday's has made the correct decision.

:top marks

Scouse Hibee
09-07-2018, 07:35 AM
I went and it was pretty boring to be honest. I much prefer the old type of testimonials with guest players, dodgy ref decisions in favour of the recipient player and the obligatory penalt given so he could score in his testimonial. This was hardly a testimonial in the spirit of days gone by, more a pre season friendly billed as one. They used to be fun.

Borderhibbie76
09-07-2018, 07:35 AM
Sadly have to agree and so far looks like most of the posters on here weren’t there. Not judging anyone !Lots.of fans who couldn't make today bought tickets anyway so that may be the issue...

The carry on over the attendance on here is a bit ridiculous...almost 7k tickets sold for a meaningless pre season friendly thatvwas ridiculously over priced by Hibs. And yes I was there but TBH kind of regretted it after the first 45 mins which was brutal to watch. I went to show support for a Hibs legend but can understand why some chose not to go. I miss the Runavik game on Thurs coz I am on holiday - had I been going on Thurs night I probably would have gave it a miss yesterday due to cash.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

HibeeMassive
09-07-2018, 07:38 AM
The testimonial committee said that gate was 6.5k yesterday. 4.5k in advance sales and the rest were walkups.

Not a massive turnout - but not Craig Levein testimonial levels either. Think the game might have been better played on an international weekend later in the year with a few ‘invitees’ brought in to play.

we are hibs
09-07-2018, 07:41 AM
The only pre season game I can remember enjoying was the Barcelona one. The opposition plays a big factor whether people like it or not. I don't understand why we couldn't get a premier league team up. I'm sure hearts have played Everton, Newcastle and man city in pre season over the last few years. They'd all be a step up from Blackburn

green&left
09-07-2018, 07:50 AM

But it wasn't either of those. It was a kick about on a Sunday afternoon against an extremely average English championship side.

Regarding the current buns it was Gerrard's first game in the Ibrox dugoot and was priced at 12 quid and 4 quid. Not that i give a **** about how many people attend a Rangers friendly TBH.

6500 say at an average of £15 a head is still almost £100k (ex expenses) divided by Paul and charities. Not to shabby all things considering. Not sure what crowd people were genuinely expecting for this one :crazy:

Sammy7nil
09-07-2018, 08:08 AM
But it wasn't either of those. It was a kick about on a Sunday afternoon against an extremely average English championship side.

Regarding the current buns it was Gerrard's first game in the Ibrox dugoot and was priced at 12 quid and 4 quid. Not that i give a **** about how many people attend a Rangers friendly TBH.

6500 say at an average of £15 a head is still almost £100k (ex expenses) divided by Paul and charities. Not to shabby all things considering. Not sure what crowd people were genuinely expecting for this one :crazy:

I think the "extremely average" championship team will go very close to promotion via the playoffs.

oldbutdim
09-07-2018, 08:13 AM
Anyone else buy the Hanlon Testimonial T-Shirt which was on sale?

No?

Disgusted with the lot of you.
They had it in several sizes, so there's no real excuse.

Only a tenner, and I wasn't going to buy Paul some SMA milk anyway so money well spent.

I've no idea why anyone would want to buy Paul SMA milk to be honest.

BILLYHIBS
09-07-2018, 08:21 AM
Lots.of fans who couldn't make today bought tickets anyway so that may be the issue...

The carry on over the attendance on here is a bit ridiculous...almost 7k tickets sold for a meaningless pre season friendly thatvwas ridiculously over priced by Hibs. And yes I was there but TBH kind of regretted it after the first 45 mins which was brutal to watch. I went to show support for a Hibs legend but can understand why some chose not to go. I miss the Runavik game on Thurs coz I am on holiday - had I been going on Thurs night I probably would have gave it a miss yesterday due to cash.

Enjoy your holiday mate ! 😁👍🏾⚽️🇳🇬🏆

Borderhibbie76
09-07-2018, 08:26 AM
Enjoy your holiday mate ! [emoji16][emoji1474][emoji460]️[emoji1184][emoji471]Gutted am missing Thurs mate was praying for away leg first. Hopefully get thru and be at the next round - cheers

Famous Fiver
09-07-2018, 08:28 AM
Cash issue for me.

I am an OAP.

Paid for my season ticket, I have bought my ticket for Runavik and, if we get through, I'll buy a ticket for the next round.

I just could not afford to buy a ticket for yesterday.

If that makes me a poorer Hibs supporter I'll just have to take it on the chin.

johnbc70
09-07-2018, 08:37 AM
Hard to get their from Lanzarote.

Chic Murray
09-07-2018, 08:41 AM
Never been to a testimonial in my puff. They are pretty much exhibition matches. Did think about yesterday, but decided to take time off work to watch the European tie instead.

Pretty rubbish timing for the game too. It's still the Trades.

Greentinted
09-07-2018, 08:52 AM
I went and it was pretty boring to be honest. I much prefer the old type of testimonials with guest players, dodgy ref decisions in favour of the recipient player and the obligatory penalt given so he could score in his testimonial. This was hardly a testimonial in the spirit of days gone by, more a pre season friendly billed as one. They used to be fun.

Testimonials, IMO, should be something a wee bit different. Used to attend all of them in late 70s to mid 90s and in doing so got to see some fabulous footballers guesting in them. Seeing Kenny Dalglish in a Hibs strip was a joy to behold and while I know this may be taken a dim view of, I even toddled along to Tynecastle for Alex McDonald’s testimonial purely to see Kevin Keegan in the flesh.
Paul probably did deserve a larger turnout aye, but it certainly doesn’t make anyone less of a Hibby based on non-attendance at what amounted to little more than your average pre-season friendly. To suggest otherwise is ridiculous; we all love our football and love our team more but a bit perspective is required surely.
It’s really not a matter of life and death.

Bobby's Cinema
09-07-2018, 09:18 AM
Personally find it all a bit odd, i wasn’t there and I will be standing applauding him before during and after games for a long time yet. I preferred to tick off new grounds for me with trips to Linlithgow Berwick and then we have the not cheap European games.

Itsnoteasy
09-07-2018, 09:24 AM

That's a bigger crowd than when I started going to Hibs games in the 80's.

Itsnoteasy
09-07-2018, 09:28 AM
Cash issue for me.

I am an OAP.

Paid for my season ticket, I have bought my ticket for Runavik and, if we get through, I'll buy a ticket for the next round.

If that makes me a poorer Hibs supporter I'll just have to take it on the chin.

Certainly not a poorer Hibs supporter.
You've probably pumped plenty dough into Hibs over the years.

andybev1
09-07-2018, 09:39 AM
[QUOTE=SouthsideHarp_Bhoy;5458208]

/QUOTE]

If they are crap what were we yesterday. Call me a bed wetter (and you will) but if that is anywhere near what we can expect for the season to come then I am wetting the bed already. Our best player is one who will probably not be here.

Borderhibbie76
09-07-2018, 09:41 AM
Cash issue for me.

I am an OAP.

If that makes me a poorer Hibs supporter I'll just have to take it on the chin.It doesn't mate...we aren't all made of money sadly. It's the 1 thing for me where Leeann let's us down some time...pricing. £20 yesterday and £23 for Thurs is a bit out of order imo...and it will affect both gates

bigwheel
09-07-2018, 09:44 AM
there is no reason for anyone to justify not going to any Hibs game, Testimonial's included - if you can afford it and fancy it - get along , if you don't go - fair enough...there is no obligation.

Golden Bear
09-07-2018, 09:47 AM
As a side note, I see that the attendance at Hertz's glamour pre season friendly v Partick Thistle (which was bizarrely played at Cowdenbeath,) was an amazing 811. I can only assume that Thistle brought a large travelling support with them.

:wink:

Allant1981
09-07-2018, 09:54 AM
Lennon’s allowed to do that. You aren’t. :wink:

Obviously joking, fans should get a testimonial for what they sacrifice financially and socially to turn up to the football most weeks. We’ve got fans donating to HSL, buying STs, buying food or simply paying for transport on match day. Taking a break from any of that during the preseason makes sense to many and nobody should have to justify it. Hope you had a good time with the family.

spending money so would have been better going to the football!!

Billy Whizz
09-07-2018, 09:57 AM
Chris Millar, St Johnstone, had his testimonial game against Aberdeen yesterday, a crowd of 1,554 showed up, which Saints reported as being a decent crowd

So well done the Hibs fans who managed to turn up yesterday

hibbycraig
09-07-2018, 10:01 AM
Total underwhelming game for a testimonial. Same as Stevensons. Got to do something exciting for the fans to attend them these days.

Wakeyhibee
09-07-2018, 03:11 PM
might have been mentioned before but that crowd was better than some home games the season we won the Skol Cup. I think expectations have risen (unrealistically for games like this) due to 2 seasons of increasing attendances. I agree the timing is bad but might have been a necessity rather than anything else IE League/Cups more important

Oscar T Grouch
09-07-2018, 03:17 PM
Lots.of fans who couldn't make today bought tickets anyway so that may be the issue...

Hibs had nothing to do with the pricing, Paul Hanlon Testimonial Committee priced it. Hibs sold the tickets for PHTC and provided the facilities, that is all.

Geo_1875
09-07-2018, 03:24 PM
It was basically a bounce game tagged onto Paul's testimonial year. Bought a ticket, went along and left early. I wouldn't decry anyone who chose not to go. If they decide to give anyone else a testimonial they really need to put more effort into it and get a decent opponent and guests involved.

SirDavidsNapper
09-07-2018, 03:30 PM
Did Paul choose Blackburn Rovers or were they earmarked for a friendly anyway? They're probably as unglamorous a team as you can get for friendly opposition and at 20 quid a ticket it was never going to sell well. An Everton or Newcastle would have been more enticing for a lot of people.

KazHibby
09-07-2018, 03:32 PM

I'm in Qatar!

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
09-07-2018, 04:44 PM
[QUOTE=SouthsideHarp_Bhoy;5458208]

/QUOTE]

If they are crap what were we yesterday. Call me a bed wetter (and you will) but if that is anywhere near what we can expect for the season to come then I am wetting the bed already. Our best player is one who will probably not be here.

I don't know, I wasn't there - but in hand watched many a crap Hibs team. My point was that Blackburn were no pull to attend.

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
09-07-2018, 04:46 PM
It was basically a bounce game tagged onto Paul's testimonial year. Bought a ticket, went along and left early. I wouldn't decry anyone who chose not to go. If they decide to give anyone else a testimonial they really need to put more effort into it and get a decent opponent and guests involved.

Totally agree.

magnificent_seven
09-07-2018, 04:46 PM

Couldn’t be bothered. It’s a good 100+ mile round trip and I
Had better things to be doing on a Sunday. Pre season friendlies/testimonials are boring when there is nothing to play for.

GreenT
09-07-2018, 05:02 PM
I went and it was pretty boring to be honest. I much prefer the old type of testimonials with guest players, dodgy ref decisions in favour of the recipient player and the obligatory penalty given so he could score in his testimonial. This was hardly a testimonial in the spirit of days gone by, more a pre season friendly billed as one. They used to be fun.

FIFA and/or the Tax Man in their wisdom have decided that Testimonial games have to be played under FIFA rules. Therefore no sham penalties, ex-players etc.

What I can't understand about Sunday was the vast majority of those that went didn't stay to show their appreciation for PH at the end. The numbers that were there when he went round the pitch was an embarrassment.

The Harp
09-07-2018, 05:52 PM
I had hoped for a higher attendance at Paul's testimonial but I'm sure, being the kind of guy he is, he would be appreciative of those who did turn up.
By the time the proceeds from other testimonial events have been added, hopefully Paul will receive a sizeable cheque and will be able to present significant amounts to his chosen charities.
As some other posters have already mentioned, it was disappointing to see so few remain for the 10 minutes or so to watch Paul's lap of honour.

madhatter
09-07-2018, 06:11 PM
FIFA and/or the Tax Man in their wisdom have decided that Testimonial games have to be played under FIFA rules. Therefore no sham penalties, ex-players etc.

What I can't understand about Sunday was the vast majority of those that went didn't stay to show their appreciation for PH at the end. The numbers that were there when he went round the pitch was an embarrassment.

Terrible friendly played at a slow pace with little entertainment might be why people left. Either that or people uncomfortable getting burnt in the sun or had kids that were uncomfortable and wanted to leave. Whole number of reasons why people may have left.

Testimonials are actually a little cheeky these days - £20 to watch a dull match with no novelty or comedic value. Again I think this was calculated as the best route to maximise money raised from the numbers expected to turn up to a dull friendly (“testimonial”). I’ve got no issue with people leaving early or not turning up. This was a dull friendly labelled as a testimonial.

Testimonials should be to thank the fans as well through something fun to entice them to turn up and put money forward.

If it were played at the end of the season, you could have fans paying to play on the pitch with their heroes, some current and old Hibs players can make up the coaching teams of a few teams in a competition and Paul could play up front for his team and have the number 10. Could have some stuff scripted and have something entertaining more than just the football. Invite fans (again a fee to get opportunity) on to the pitch at half time to try to recreate Hanlons goal against Hearts and the celebrations, plus have actual Hibs players rating it out of 10.

Some silly ideas I know but point being people will happily pay more to meet and mingle with their heroes. Fans will happily turn up in more numbers to see friends, family and random people make an idiot out of themselves on the field. A boring friendly entices very few.

HappyAsHellas
09-07-2018, 06:18 PM
I was working on Sunday.
I've been working for the last 45 years.
No one's ever given me anything.
Would have went if there was something worth watching and got some time off, but really couldn't be arsed.

Mick O'Rourke
09-07-2018, 06:35 PM
Interesting thread
I am with the comments from Madhatter.
His comments led me to respond.

Just to make a point... which i know is close to me.

Jimmy O'Rourke did not get a testimonial

Maybe he was not a good enough servant to the club ;-)
During the Tornadoes era....
Players basic wages were not much more than a tradesmen on a buildng site would get

I was earning more labouring to brickies and joiners.

cleanyman
09-07-2018, 06:37 PM
Wasn't interesting enough for me so I couldn't be bothered going

Celtic and the likes are great at testimonial games and you get a decent laugh with some old pros.

Ian Murray had some good names as well.

bookert
09-07-2018, 06:52 PM
I was working on Sunday.
I've been working for the last 45 years.
No one's ever given me anything.
Would have went if there was something worth watching and got some time off, but really couldn't be arsed.

If you didn't want to go for whatever reason fair enough, but I think it's poor that people are coming on here to make a virtue of not going. Hanlon deserves better than that.

madhatter
09-07-2018, 07:13 PM
If you didn't want to go for whatever reason fair enough, but I think it's poor that people are coming on here to make a virtue of not going. Hanlon deserves better than that.

Why does he deserve better than what he got? Don’t understand that argument, we’ve had great servants to the club that got no testimonials. Hanlon deserves to get paid by Hibs for his service. Anything he gets above and beyond that is a bonus.

I’m coming up to my tenth year in the same job at the same company, can’t wait for my testimonial. It’ll be epic. I suspect I’ll get at least 15k in attendance all paying £20 a head, easy. I’m super popular and a hard worker, very professional.

People came on here to justify the position of why they didn’t go because people have come on here to query what everyone’s excuses and alibis were for not turning up.

Funny how heroes on a football pitch get testimonials and thousands of fans applauding them. Do nurses or doctors get 10 year testimonials where that many turn up? Which one of these are more heroic? “Deserve” should not be a word used in this debate.

Skol
09-07-2018, 07:24 PM
I didnt go.

I had missed the fact it was a testimonial and took it as a pre season friendly. That said in years gone by such games (PSF or testimonial) had some attraction. Ive seen us play Man U for example and when I last remember Blackburn they had sutton and shearer.

Hermit Crab
09-07-2018, 07:45 PM

Its also poor those coming on here saying people are not Hibs fans for not going, I didn't go and my excuse in on this thread somewhere. Sue me.

blackpoolhibs
09-07-2018, 07:52 PM
I'm not 100% sure, but i think the last testimonial i went to was Pat Stantons?

I personally think players these days earn more than enough, and don't deserve handouts from people who probably earn much less than they do.

Brightside
09-07-2018, 08:05 PM
Its also poor those coming on here saying people are not Hibs fans for not going, I didn't go and my excuse in on this thread somewhere. Sue me.

No one said people arent Hibs fans for not going. Stop being a drama queen. It was still disappointing that there wasnt more there and it was also pretty embarrassing that the place emptied before his lap of honour.

bookert
09-07-2018, 08:06 PM
Why does he deserve better than what he got? Don’t understand that argument, we’ve had great servants to the club that got no testimonials. Hanlon deserves to get paid by Hibs for his service. Anything he gets above and beyond that is a bonus.

I’m coming up to my tenth year in the same job at the same company, can’t wait for my testimonial. It’ll be epic. I suspect I’ll get at least 15k in attendance all paying £20 a head, easy. I’m super popular and a hard worker, very professional.

People came on here to justify the position of why they didn’t go because people have come on here to query what everyone’s excuses and alibis were for not turning up.

Funny how heroes on a football pitch get testimonials and thousands of fans applauding them. Do nurses or doctors get 10 year testimonials where that many turn up? Which one of these are more heroic? “Deserve” should not be a word used in this debate. I don't mind that people didn't go, I understand that, some will have the same view as you. I don't understand however why fans would make a point of coming onto a fans site and say I couldn't be bothered going. You may have felt like that but why come on and say. Do you think players don't read the posts?

Halmyre Hibee
09-07-2018, 08:06 PM
Interesting thread
I am with the comments from Madhatter.
His comments led me to respond.

Just to make a point... which i know is close to me.

Jimmy O'Rourke did not get a testimonial

Maybe he was not a good enough servant to the club ;-)
During the Tornadoes era....
Players basic wages were not much more than a tradesmen on a buildng site would get

I was earning more labouring to brickies and joiners.

It's a shame legends like Jimmy & Pat Stanton never got paid the wages that their talent deserved. Unfortunately, they played in the wrong era wages wise. That said until the day I die Jimmy & Pat will remain my heroes.

madhatter
09-07-2018, 08:16 PM
I don't mind that people didn't go, I understand that, some will have the same view as you. I don't understand however why fans would make a point of coming onto a fans site and say I couldn't be bothered going. You may have felt like that but why come on and say. Do you think players don't read the posts?

Being entirely honest, I couldn't care less if players read my posts.

We've had fans suggest that anybody who couldn't be bothered or had other plans as needing to have a word with themselves. Financial seems to be the only viable reason for not turning up. I take exception to people telling me what I should do with my spare time, as I'm sure you do. As I'm sure the Hibs players who are reading this do...

That is precisely the reason why I posted my reasons as I'm sure others decided to do the same. We've had people say they've spent time with their kids instead, will those Hibs players reading that take offence? This is getting a wee bit ridiculous, we need to consider if players will read our posts about our non-attendance just in case they get upset. Yet we have threads discussing what McGinn thinks and feels about a Celtic move, we've got debates about Allan's diabetes and Lennon's bouts with depression.

I'm sure Paul is coming on to Hibs.net to see why he had so few fans turn up to his testimonial. Hi Paul, see you on Thursday at ER mate :bye:

madhatter
09-07-2018, 08:35 PM
No one said people arent Hibs fans for not going. Stop being a drama queen. It was still disappointing that there wasnt more there and it was also pretty embarrassing that the place emptied before his lap of honour.

What was implied in these posts on the other thread then:

"There's some tosh getting trotted out on here from folk trying to justify to themselves why they are too tight to pay £20 for such a deserving cause." Cheapskates?

"10000 people either working on holiday, skint. Most of them begging for hearts tickets in a few months." Big game/good time fans?

"I said pretty clearly that I’ve no issue with people that can’t afford the game etc. People that just can’t be arsed is my issue. He’s a 10 year player and it doesn’t happen often. 6500 is very poor no matter the issues. But I’ll leave it there." A lesser fan because they couldn't be bothered?

Also, just for clarification, you probably shouldn't say "Stop being a drama queen" after you've had a wee melodramatic turn yourself over tiny issue of some people not turning up to an event you wish they had...

I could not be bothered going, if you have a problem with that I don't particularly care. Many fans didn't go to ER when things were really bad 4-5 years ago, have we tracked these individuals down and punished them for such despicable crimes?

People may have left early for a variety of reasons. Some people might have felt ill in the heat, some may have had kids with them, some may have felt like getting away from the gulls. Hanlon was paid to be there, he's employed by Hibs. Fans pay to go along, this critiquing what fans do is getting a wee bit silly. I leave as soon as final whistle goes after most games, I've got an hour drive minimum...I know, I'm a disgrace to the club.

Brightside
09-07-2018, 08:45 PM
What was implied in these posts on the other thread then:

"There's some tosh getting trotted out on here from folk trying to justify to themselves why they are too tight to pay £20 for such a deserving cause." Cheapskates?

"10000 people either working on holiday, skint. Most of them begging for hearts tickets in a few months." Big game/good time fans?

"I said pretty clearly that I’ve no issue with people that can’t afford the game etc. People that just can’t be arsed is my issue. He’s a 10 year player and it doesn’t happen often. 6500 is very poor no matter the issues. But I’ll leave it there." A lesser fan because they couldn't be bothered?

Also, just for clarification, you probably shouldn't say "Stop being a drama queen" after you've had a wee melodramatic turn yourself over tiny issue of some people not turning up to an event you wish they had...

I could not be bothered going, if you have a problem with that I don't particularly care. Many fans didn't go to ER when things were really bad 4-5 years ago, have we tracked these individuals down and punished them for such despicable crimes?

People may have left early for a variety of reasons. Some people might have felt ill in the heat, some may have had kids with them, some may have felt like getting away from the gulls. Hanlon was paid to be there, he's employed by Hibs. Fans pay to go along, this critiquing what fans do is getting a wee bit silly. I leave as soon as final whistle goes after most games, I've got an hour drive minimum...I know, I'm a disgrace to the club.
The first quote isn’t me just to be clear. And prob its best not to imply and just read what people actually say. Plenty on hear saying he doesn’t deserve the testimonial. Each to their own but you don’t get one team men very often in football now.

SideBurns
09-07-2018, 08:46 PM
I'm not 100% sure, but i think the last testimonial i went to was Pat Stantons?

I personally think players these days earn more than enough, and don't deserve handouts from people who probably earn much less than they do.

The first testimonial I went to was Arthur Duncan's, against a 'World XI'. Despite rumours Pele was turning up (I'm sure that was the story anyway!), Joe Baker putting in a cameo, and Arthur being the last of the Tornadoes still at the club, my recollection is of a poor turnout.

Gordon Rae, on the other hand, got a crowd of 17000 (huge queues for the cowshed, by the time I got in Torto had already been sent off for flattening wee Strachan); Hibs were top of the league, on a great run, and Fergie brought a full strength Man Utd team up the road. Big Gordon was very popular too, but had the match taken place in the first 2 weeks of the school hols against a side just promoted from the 3rd tier in England I doubt he'd have got more than 6500 either.

keep the faith
09-07-2018, 08:52 PM
I always laugh that people will spend ages on long winded multi posts to explain and get angry aound why they don't go and leave early.
No time to see a game out, but loads of time to post on hibs net.
Just an observation and I'm not getting into the debate as been stung too often on the leaving early threads. 😊

blackpoolhibs
09-07-2018, 08:53 PM
The first testimonial I went to was Arthur Duncan's, against a 'World XI'. Despite rumours Pele was turning up (I'm sure that was the story anyway!), Joe Baker putting in a cameo, and Arthur being the last of the Tornadoes still at the club, my recollection is of a poor turnout.

Gordon Rae, on the other hand, got a crowd of 17000 (huge queues for the cowshed, by the time I got in Torto had already been sent off for flattening wee Strachan); Hibs were top of the league, on a great run, and Fergie brought a full strength Man Utd team up the road. Big Gordon was very popular too, but had the match taken place in the first 2 weeks of the school hols against a side just promoted from the 3rd tier in England I doubt he'd have got more than 6500 either.

I was also at Gordon Rae's, for some reason i thought that was just a friendly. As i originally said, players today earn in my opinion more than enough, especially at Hibs.

Duncan and Rae played for us when the wages were not as good as now, and i can see why testimonials were given then.

Hanlon has given us terrific service, and i hope he has plenty more seasons at Hibs.

madhatter
09-07-2018, 08:54 PM
The first quote isn’t me just to be clear. And prob its best not to imply and just read what people actually say. Plenty on hear saying he doesn’t deserve the testimonial. Each to their own but you don’t get one team men very often in football now.

You are reading into what people are typing and saying "Stop being a drama queen"...I knew the first quote wasn't you but it was put on this forum and proved that people were putting rather poor comments about those that didn't turn up.

He played for St Johnstone, not technically a one team man. "Deserve" is a poor word to choose, football players are not some noble servants to clubs. Hanlon has done well by Hibs, no doubt, but so have the club to him, he is well paid by commoners standards. I have paid for my ST for many years, many more who are wiser and older than me have paid much more through the years. When do fans "deserve" a testimonial?

In the past when football players were paid worse or similar to "standard" jobs, then testimonials made sense, these guys won't have necessarily been well educated and needed something to tide them over before finding work outwith. Nowadays, even players at Hibs, if they are smart with their money they'd have a comfortable living working part-time (flexi-time) after retiring from football at 35. Does Messi "deserve" a testimonial?

Edit - I know portion of money went to charity, no problem with that. People donated so people could go and money still went to good cause.

SideBurns
09-07-2018, 09:01 PM
I was also at Gordon Rae's, for some reason i thought that was just a friendly. As i originally said, players today earn in my opinion more than enough, especially at Hibs.

Duncan and Rae played for us when the wages were not as good as now, and i can see why testimonials were given then.

Hanlon has given us terrific service, and i hope he has plenty more seasons at Hibs.

I agree that players are paid more than enough these days (even at Hibs relatively modest level), although I do like the modern trend for a reasonably substantial percentage of the testimonial takings to be donated to charity. I'd imagine sensible lads like Lewis & PH will have managed their money properly, and both should continue in football after their playing careers are over. I'd also think they're intelligent enough to understand why they didn't get huge attendances at their testimonial games.

Brizo
10-07-2018, 04:52 AM
This was essentially a friendly dressed up as a testimonial with none of the factors that used to attract fans to testimonials for the likes of Pat Stanton, Gordon Rae or Jackie Mac ie attractive opposition that also brought a support, former players reappearing and guest players. They are key reasons why those testimonials attracted good crowds

Well done to those who attended but totally understand why so many didn't attend. Leaving aside financial implications and time of the year, it also just didn't appeal to a lot of people I know.

I understand from a previous post that former players / guest players can't now take part in testimonials due to FIFA / tax law which I didn't know before and because top clubs are now outwith our reach to bring to ER, looks like the days of the old style testimonial are over.

Mikey09
10-07-2018, 10:07 AM

Good for you. I don't need to justify to anyone why I didn't attend. So ram it.

HappyAsHellas
10-07-2018, 02:33 PM

In no way am I trying to make a virtue of this - I gave my reasons as others seemed to be telling me I'm a disgrace/not a true fan etc etc. If I met Paul I'd wish him all the best as I think he's a great player but it wouldn't bother me (or I suspect him) to let him know I couldn't be arsed going to a game.

lord bunberry
10-07-2018, 03:13 PM

I agree. People seem to be boasting about not going now. I couldn’t really care less who went and who didn’t. I didn’t go as I’m away on holiday, if I’d been home I’d have went. Hanlon does deserve better than being told people didn’t go because they couldn’t be bothered. Sometimes it’s better to say nothing.

The Modfather
10-07-2018, 03:39 PM
I agree. People seem to be boasting about not going now. I couldn’t really care less who went and who didn’t. I didn’t go as I’m away on holiday, if I’d been home I’d have went. Hanlon does deserve better than being told people didn’t go because they couldn’t be bothered. Sometimes it’s better to say nothing.

Is that not a direct result of the posters who seem to have a bizarre interest in telling people what they should and shouldn’t do with their time and money in order to be classed a genuine Hibs fan.

Hermit Crab
10-07-2018, 03:44 PM
Is that not a direct result of the posters who seem to have a bizarre interest in telling people what they should and shouldn’t do with their time and money in order to be classed a genuine Hibs fan.

There was definitely a hint of "I'm better than you because I went to a friendly dressed as testimonial but it was really a kick about at Easter Rd" stuff going on.

SirDavidsNapper
10-07-2018, 03:44 PM
I dont see the need for testimonials in this era. Hanlon is a legend yes but he's also a very well paid footballer. Supporting the team week in week out for years while Paul has been involved is tribute enough for lots of us who earn a modest wage in comparison and i personally don't feel i need to pay 20 quid for a friendly against Blackburn Rovers to show my appreciation. I'll applaud him on Thursday as normal. Great servant and Hibs man to boot but i pay good money to watch Hibs, pay into HSL and spend a fair amount in the shop every season so that's my limit and im happy with that.

madhatter
10-07-2018, 04:03 PM

Boasting about not going? Not sure how boasting is being detected.

Boasting would resemble - I missed the game because I was collecting the Aston Martin from the garage, picking up the super model wife, popping into The Witchery for some lunch and bought one of the most expensive bottles on offer...and so on.

Saying I couldn't be bothered or I couldn't justify going is not boasting. Saying I was there and questioning why others weren't there is closer to boasting. Don't think anybody put up why they couldn't make it in fine detail until people questioned rather rudely why people didn't go...

"Deserve" is a horrible word to use in this context. Paul Hanlon deserves his wage from Hibs, he does not deserve adulation or anything else. That is a bonus of the job he has managed to secure, a dream job for many. Heroes that fight in wars or serve in the armed forces, heroes that work long hours as nurses or doctors trying to save lives, heroes that work long hours to give their kids a better life...if Paul (a well paid footballer) deserves a stadium filled with fans paying £20 a head to celebrate him, what do these heroes deserve? Paul, being a decent guy, will not think he deserved the testimonial. As I'm sure Lewis thought/thinks the same about his.

Just to clarify, nobody is boasting about not going, if you have people criticising others for not turning up then people will respond. As is seen in this thread.

lord bunberry
10-07-2018, 04:14 PM

Yes it almost certainly is.

lord bunberry
10-07-2018, 04:22 PM
Boasting about not going? Not sure how boasting is being detected.

Boasting would resemble - I missed the game because I was collecting the Aston Martin from the garage, picking up the super model wife, popping into The Witchery for some lunch and bought one of the most expensive bottles on offer...and so on.

Saying I couldn't be bothered or I couldn't justify going is not boasting. Saying I was there and questioning why others weren't there is closer to boasting. Don't think anybody put up why they couldn't make it in fine detail until people questioned rather rudely why people didn't go...

"Deserve" is a horrible word to use in this context. Paul Hanlon deserves his wage from Hibs, he does not deserve adulation or anything else. That is a bonus of the job he has managed to secure, a dream job for many. Heroes that fight in wars or serve in the armed forces, heroes that work long hours as nurses or doctors trying to save lives, heroes that work long hours to give their kids a better life...if Paul (a well paid footballer) deserves a stadium filled with fans paying £20 a head to celebrate him, what do these heroes deserve? Paul, being a decent guy, will not think he deserved the testimonial. As I'm sure Lewis thought/thinks the same about his.

Just to clarify, nobody is boasting about not going, if you have people criticising others for not turning up then people will respond. As is seen in this thread.

I agree that this thread has led to people listing theit reasons for not going, but personally if I had decided not to go I’d have kept that to myself. I’m pretty sure some players will read these forums and to read that people didn’t go because it was a boring opponent or they just couldn’t be bothered isn’t going to make Paul Hanlon feel very good. My point is basically that no one has to justify whether they go to a game or not, but it lacks a bit of class to post that you couldn’t be bothered when the game was a benefit match for a long serving player. I understand that some people don’t agree with testimonials for players earning far more than the people expected to pay for these games.

madhatter
10-07-2018, 04:32 PM
I agree that this thread has led to people listing theit reasons for not going, but personally if I had decided not to go I’d have kept that to myself. I’m pretty sure some players will read these forums and to read that people didn’t go because it was a boring opponent or they just couldn’t be bothered isn’t going to make Paul Hanlon feel very good. My point is basically that no one has to justify whether they go to a game or not, but it lacks a bit of class to post that you couldn’t be bothered when the game was a benefit match for a long serving player. I understand that some people don’t agree with testimonials for players earning far more than the people expected to pay for these games.

Does Paul Hanlon feel good about fans dishing it out on here, questioning why people couldn't make it? Suggestions of stinginess or disrespect for Paul, or lack of understanding that this is a club legend...I'm sure Paul and the other players prefer that.

I donated but didn't go, is that ok with the Hibs players or are they still upset? I stopped crying when someone didn't turn up to my birthday party about 25 years ago...I expect Hibs players are mature enough and sensible enough to appreciate why people may not have turned up without going on to a fan forum site. I'm sure they have stuff in their life that they really "should" attend but can't be bothered/can't justify going, maybe someone's birthday party or wedding.

What lacks more class? Justifying why you weren't there in response to multiple people questioning lack of numbers in a poor manner, or questioning everyone's reasons for not turning up in a poor manner? I know what lacks class...

One Day Soon
10-07-2018, 05:02 PM
FFS. This thread is just carnage on wheels. Delete now.

steakbake
10-07-2018, 05:05 PM
I was there. It was pretty empty.

I get that it was a testimonial and all the emotional draw of that. However, £20 for a non-competitive out of season game is too steep for an occasion. Especially with a European home game on Thursday.

I think it's just about what people might expect would happen.

lord bunberry
10-07-2018, 06:04 PM
Does Paul Hanlon feel good about fans dishing it out on here, questioning why people couldn't make it? Suggestions of stinginess or disrespect for Paul, or lack of understanding that this is a club legend...I'm sure Paul and the other players prefer that.

I donated but didn't go, is that ok with the Hibs players or are they still upset? I stopped crying when someone didn't turn up to my birthday party about 25 years ago...I expect Hibs players are mature enough and sensible enough to appreciate why people may not have turned up without going on to a fan forum site. I'm sure they have stuff in their life that they really "should" attend but can't be bothered/can't justify going, maybe someone's birthday party or wedding.

What lacks more class? Justifying why you weren't there in response to multiple people questioning lack of numbers in a poor manner, or questioning everyone's reasons for not turning up in a poor manner? I know what lacks class...
Ffs mate you’re seriously over thinking this. All I’m saying is show a bit of respect and decency.

madhatter
10-07-2018, 06:06 PM
Ffs mate you’re seriously over thinking this. All I’m saying is show a bit of respect and decency.

Ask the same from those that posted up the questions about why people didn't turn up and we are sorted, that's all I'm saying. :aok:

SunshineOnLeith
10-07-2018, 06:47 PM

It was the Bentley, actually.

BILLYHIBS
10-07-2018, 06:53 PM
Admins please delete thread and let us all look forward and move on starting to get embarrassing for everyone.