PDA

View Full Version : Seagulls

The Green Goblin
08-07-2018, 03:44 PM
I'll do the honours. Hunners and hunners of them. In folks' faces and swarming in the stands. Like a scene from The Birds. Really irritating. I'm sure there'll be the usual "bedwetter" responses, but I really couldn't care less - you batter on - :greengrin - it was brutal and I hope the club try to do something about it.

givescotlandfreedom
08-07-2018, 03:46 PM
They're bad today! Folk need to not chuck uneaten food on the ground.

SteveHFC
08-07-2018, 03:47 PM
Watching the seagulls has been far more entertaining than the 2nd half.

08-07-2018, 03:48 PM
Smaller than usual crowd so they're less scared.

SChibs
08-07-2018, 03:54 PM
Happens every year, nesting season over the summer I heard so that's why they are more irratible than usual

hibbysam
08-07-2018, 04:06 PM
They're bad today! Folk need to not chuck uneaten food on the ground.

Nothing to do with uneaten food today. From the minute I walked in at 20 past 2 they were swarming.

madhatter
08-07-2018, 04:07 PM
Can we not get an eagle or plastic owl or something? Scare them away somehow...

Borderhibbie76
08-07-2018, 04:09 PM
Poor.guy few rows in front of me in East got s&&& on 3 times...he deffo needs to buy a lotto ticket

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Chic Murray
08-07-2018, 04:10 PM
I'll do the honours. Hunners and hunners of them. In folks' faces and swarming in the stands. Like a scene from The Birds. Really irritating. I'm sure there'll be the usual "bedwetter" responses, but I really couldn't care less - you batter on - :greengrin - it was brutal and I hope the club try to do something about it.

They have been plaguing North Edinburgh, all summer. Anybody got any ideas why?

Wembley67
08-07-2018, 04:14 PM
It's not hard to work out why, free source of food, they know it's coming so will hang around.

City centre is plagued along with surrounding areas as the bins aren't emptied leading to rubbish piling up and folk being disgusting pigs and leaving their rubbish strewn all over the place. Again some of this comes down to the council not collecting, especially from the big bins at flats but the folk that just chuck away their food wrappers can go and do one :rolleyes:

Diclonius
08-07-2018, 04:19 PM
It's not hard to work out why, free source of food, they know it's coming so will hang around.

City centre is plagued along with surrounding areas as the bins aren't emptied leading to rubbish piling up and folk being disgusting pigs and leaving their rubbish strewn all over the place. Again some of this comes down to the council not collecting, especially from the big bins at flats but the folk that just chuck away their food wrappers can go and do one :rolleyes:

Yup. It's a joke seeing grown men and women just leave their rubbish lying around at FT. How difficult is it just to hold onto it for 2 mins and put it in the bin?

Wembley67
08-07-2018, 04:21 PM
Yup. It's a joke seeing grown men and women just leave their rubbish lying around at FT. How difficult is it just to hold onto it for 2 mins and put it in the bin?

Should hand out fines for litter droppers with all money going towards the transfer budget, we could make loads :greengrin

Bostonhibby
08-07-2018, 04:22 PM
Their first game of the season and they've turned up in decent numbers by the sounds of it. Probably been a long close season for the flying rats.

I just hope they show up at away games as well.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Springbank
08-07-2018, 04:22 PM
Poor.guy few rows in front of me in East got s&&& on 3 times...he deffo needs to buy a lotto ticket

That Guy is Gary Locke and i claim my £10...

Sammy7nil
08-07-2018, 04:23 PM

So the plastic owls went on the Tynie sale :rolleyes:

hfc rd
08-07-2018, 04:31 PM

Seen that as well 😂

Probably one of the main highlights of the game today.

Thecat23
08-07-2018, 04:37 PM
Their first game of the season and they've turned up in decent numbers by the sounds of it. Probably been a long close season for the flying rats.

I just hope they show up at away games as well.

😂

Thecat23
08-07-2018, 04:39 PM
They really are flying vermin. I’d love to see pest control sort them! Sorry if this offends any seagull lovers but they are way out of control all over the city.

KWJ
08-07-2018, 04:46 PM
Pic I took from east Mid bombing raid.

https://imageshack.us/i/poL6IL9lj

Just clocked the boy on the right protecting his heid 😂

Arch Stanton
08-07-2018, 04:53 PM
They really are flying vermin. I’d love to see pest control sort them! Sorry if this offends any seagull lovers but they are way out of control all over the city.

Edinburgh rooftops make grand nesting places for seagulls - not many nesting cliffs round the Leith area.

The availability of food in rubbish bins and on streets doesn't help but won't make much difference, I don't think.

I remember reading they were a protected species so I doubt pest control can help, more's the pity.

Thecat23
08-07-2018, 04:58 PM
Edinburgh rooftops make grand nesting places for seagulls - not many nesting cliffs round the Leith area.

The availability of food in rubbish bins and on streets doesn't help but won't make much difference, I don't think.

I remember reading they were a protected species so I doubt pest control can help, more's the pity.

Never knew they were protected. Best put my air gun back in the cupboard 😁

SteveHFC
08-07-2018, 04:59 PM
Dad's pal got **** on and dad got the splash back over him

overdrive
08-07-2018, 05:03 PM
The weird thing is they seemed bugger off at half time (in the FF at least) only to make a reappearance as soon as the second half was under way.

MSK
08-07-2018, 05:23 PM

I remember reading they were a protected species so I doubt pest control can help, more's the pity.When I worked at the Royal Ed I was speaking to a pest control guy, he had a falcon on his arm, he said they are not allowed to destroy the gulls but the falcon (and hawks) are sent in during hatching season & peck at the eggs to destroy the embryos inside.

Hermit Crab
08-07-2018, 05:24 PM
The council used to go about in cherry pickers and shoot these rat b******s as well as the eggs in the nests to keep the population down, I wonder if they still do this? Seagulls are becoming more and more brazen and lesss frightened of humans.

Used to see the guys in Waverley station on the nightshift picking off roosting pigeons with an air rifle as well until someone/people complained about the dead ones lying on the tracks. Sensitive souls...

Jack
08-07-2018, 05:32 PM

They are protected but as I understand it that means you cannot do them or their eggs any harm.

I used to work in a place where they had loudspeakers on the roof that regularly sounded out their distress call. It kinda worked.

I'm wondering though if the gulls are affected by a certain frequencies of sound, like the mosquito, mice and rat devices, that humans don't hear. The council could incorporate them into lampposts and Hibs around the top of the stands.

The Green Goblin
08-07-2018, 05:32 PM
I'm sure I read somewhere that there was a machine you could get which played a high pitched sound of some kind which kept them away(?)

The rubbish/food lying around probably doesn't help, but I don't know why there are so many of them and they are so bad.

J-C
08-07-2018, 05:35 PM
I was tempted to but some chips a toss them near the linesman on the East stand, just to see him panic as they attacked him and the chips.

Centre Hawf
08-07-2018, 05:36 PM
Absolutely cannot stand them. Hope something can be done.

Jumbo
08-07-2018, 05:37 PM
There was a sparrowhawk flew in during first half chasing a pigeon and that startled them as they buggered off up towards south stand for a bit !

Hermit Crab
08-07-2018, 05:48 PM
There was a sparrowhawk flew in during first half chasing a pigeon and that startled them as they buggered off up towards south stand for a bit !

Its great watching them action, looking out your window and seeing a sparrow hawk pouncing is incredible!

frazeHFC
08-07-2018, 05:50 PM
Absolutely cannot stand them. Hope something can be done.

Shoot them all

Chic Murray
08-07-2018, 05:58 PM
When I worked at the Royal Ed I was speaking to a pest control guy, he had a falcon on his arm, he said they are not allowed to destroy the gulls but the falcon (and hawks) are sent in during hatching season & peck at the eggs to destroy the embryos inside.

Saw a hawk in operation outside Kings Cross Station. Seemed to be a railtrack employee, as there was a guy in uniform it returned to.

It didn't kill any seagulls, but it kept them away. The only guys prepared to have a go were the crows.

jax67
08-07-2018, 06:03 PM

Hertz were selling one, £4000 I think. No worth it.

Jamesie
08-07-2018, 06:20 PM
The council used to go about in cherry pickers and shoot these rat b******s as well as the eggs in the nests to keep the population down, I wonder if they still do this? Seagulls are becoming more and more brazen and lesss frightened of humans.

Used to see the guys in Waverley station on the nightshift picking off roosting pigeons with an air rifle as well until someone/people complained about the dead ones lying on the tracks. Sensitive souls...

There was some sort of bird - pigeon or seagull I assume - actually nesting in the girders of the East Stand roof last season, down towards the North Stand end circa section 39!

Hibbyradge
08-07-2018, 06:32 PM
Its great watching them action, looking out your window and seeing a sparrow hawk pouncing is incredible!

Sparrowhawk's pounce?

Every day's a school day.

J-C
08-07-2018, 07:03 PM
I sat a few months back on the Castle St rank watching a sparrow hawk attacking the pigeons, couldn't believe what I was watching, pigeon got away too, seemingly it nests near the railway line in the gardens.

barcahibs
08-07-2018, 07:06 PM
Its not rocket science. The ground has been empty for weeks, the birds are nesting. All of a sudden thousands of people appear and start hanging around the seagull weans, seagull parents go ape.

They'll calm down in a couple of weeks when the chicks are away.

In the meantime folk could really help by not throwing their rubbish away like animals.

Watched some halfwit the day fling his pie a couple of rows away - then wonders why he was being mobbed for the next half hour.

Every year. Grown humans losing in a battle of wits with a bird.

We've got a couple in our yard nesting, i feed them mackerel before i leave some nights, mostly to severely annoy the guys in the unit next door who keep parking their vans across our gate.

Useful animals.

BILLYHIBS
08-07-2018, 07:10 PM
Said it on these threads before signing of a peregrine falcon even more important than Scott Allan.

After today’s performance which was flat all round even with SJM maybes no!

:wink:

superfurryhibby
08-07-2018, 07:13 PM

Excellent urban bird action you saw there. Sparrowhawks aren’t that common, so a good spot.

As for the dirty gull bassas, the reason they thrive is because of manky humans and inadequate waste disposal. No two ways about it, they prosper on our filth. That today was unbelievable. The6 were swarming into the west stand. We need to get some hawk kites up. Seen them in fields where farmers use them to scare of birds wanting a wee peck at shoots. Worth a go maybe.

jabis
08-07-2018, 07:17 PM
Dad's pal got **** on and dad got the splash back over him

Time to change the girlfriend.:greengrin

tamig
08-07-2018, 07:18 PM

I saw that. I was beginning to doubt it was a hawk until you mentioned it. It did clear them for a bit.

tamig
08-07-2018, 07:21 PM
There was some sort of bird - pigeon or seagull I assume - actually nesting in the girders of the East Stand roof last season, down towards the North Stand end circa section 39!

The nest was still there today. Right at the front of the last section of the East next to the FF. thats where i thought the hawk came from.

Hibernian Verse
08-07-2018, 07:24 PM
Gulls are actually on the decline, according to my RSPB employee Girlfriend

Bostonhibby
08-07-2018, 07:37 PM

Sent from my SM-G950F using TapatalkYep, they've dropped from 50,000,000 in the Easter Road area to 49,999,999 in one close season. There'll be none left in fifty million years.

I'd start using them as pig feed.

Jumbo
08-07-2018, 07:41 PM
The nest was still there today. Right at the front of the last section of the East next to the FF. thats where i thought the hawk came from.

it chased a pigeon into East a Stand and flew out of there and away out between FF and main stand :aok:

Glory Lurker
08-07-2018, 07:49 PM
We should get the sparrow hawk signed. Sounds like a pacy winger.

hibbysam
08-07-2018, 08:05 PM
Its not rocket science. The ground has been empty for weeks, the birds are nesting. All of a sudden thousands of people appear and start hanging around the seagull weans, seagull parents go ape.

They'll calm down in a couple of weeks when the chicks are away.

In the meantime folk could really help by not throwing their rubbish away like animals.

Watched some halfwit the day fling his pie a couple of rows away - then wonders why he was being mobbed for the next half hour.

Every year. Grown humans losing in a battle of wits with a bird.

We've got a couple in our yard nesting, i feed them mackerel before i leave some nights, mostly to severely annoy the guys in the unit next door who keep parking their vans across our gate.

Useful animals.

Sorry, and this might sound totally daft, but I don’t pay £20 to sit in a stand ducking and diving from hundreds of seagulls who are flying at people. Today was more about avoiding birds than watching football. Hibs must do something about it, I don’t think I’ve noticed the issue in any other stadium but it’s a terrible problem at ER.

Brightside
08-07-2018, 08:08 PM
The club really need to do more on this. It’s embarrassing. Buy a hawk or whatever. There was 100s of them and not one bought a ticket today. 😂

Lago
08-07-2018, 08:10 PM
I sat a few months back on the Castle St rank watching a sparrow hawk attacking the pigeons, couldn't believe what I was watching, pigeon got away too, seemingly it nests near the railway line in the gardens.
That was one lucky pigeon, the wood pigeon in my back garden didn't stand a chance with sparrow hawk that got it.

hfc rd
08-07-2018, 08:11 PM
Sorry, and this might sound totally daft, but I don’t pay £20 to sit in a stand ducking and diving from hundreds of seagulls who are flying at people. Today was more about avoiding birds than watching football. Hibs must do something about it, I don’t think I’ve noticed the issue in any other stadium but it’s a terrible problem at ER.

My yam mate mentioned that they have a similar problem with those flying c**** at the PBS as well. One guy in the Wheatfield got really frustrated and tried to punch one. 😂 Must just be Edinburgh then with this seagulls at football games problem?

jax67
08-07-2018, 08:13 PM
We should get the sparrow hawk signed. Sounds like a pacy winger.

With an eye for gull?

lapsedhibee
08-07-2018, 08:27 PM
My yam mate mentioned that they have a similar problem with those flying c**** at the PBS as well. One guy in the Wheatfield got really frustrated and tried to punch one. 😂 Must just be Edinburgh then with this seagulls at football games problem?

Sure there's gulls at Pittoders also.

Famous Fiver
08-07-2018, 08:31 PM
I think it's a Faroes plot to make their boys feel at home on Thursday.

It might put our players off but the Faroes boys will feel right at home.

barcahibs
08-07-2018, 08:49 PM

How often are you in other stadiums that have been lying empty at this time of year?

What do you want Hibs to do about it?

The hawk shaped kite things don't work (unit next to us has one, the gulls perch next to it while they wait on me putting their fish out :))

Plastic owls and suchlike don't work (unit next door has one of them too ;))

You could net the roofs of every stand but it'd cost a fortune - and the nets need to be maintained and replaced all the time.

You can't destroy the birds, their chicks or their nest, that's against the law. You also can't restrict access to the nests, that's also illegal.

You could try to persuade people not to throw their litter about but that's impossible apparently.

You could get Petrie to persuade a white tailed eagle to nest in his 'tache but it's a bit inconvenient for him (gulls laugh at sparrowhawks).

Or you could wait a couple of weeks and they'll go away on their own.

Quite rightly (imo) we value the bird's continued existence more than we value a slight inconvenience to people.

But it's ok, Herring Gulls are a Red List species - meaning their numbers have declined by more than 50% over the last 25 years and they're globally in decline - so give it a few more years and the problem will solve itself.

And then we'll all be moaning about paying more taxes to fund the extra refuse collection that's needed to remove all the organic waste from our streets that the birds currently collect for free.

tamig
08-07-2018, 09:11 PM
How often are you in other stadiums that have been lying empty at this time of year?

The hawk shaped kite things don't work (unit next to us has one, the gulls perch next to it while they wait on me putting their fish out :))

You could net the roofs of every stand but it'd cost a fortune - and the nets need to be maintained and replaced all the time.

You can't destroy the birds, their chicks or their nest, that's against the law. You also can't restrict access to the nests, that's also illegal.

You could try to persuade people not to throw their litter about but that's impossible apparently.

You could get Petrie to persuade a white tailed eagle to nest in his 'tache but it's a bit inconvenient for him (gulls laugh at sparrowhawks).

Quite rightly (imo) we value the bird's continued existence more than we value a slight inconvenience to people.

But it's ok, Herring Gulls are a Red List species - meaning their numbers have declined by more than 50% over the last 25 years and they're globally in decline - so give it a few more years and the problem will solve itself.

And then we'll all be moaning about paying more taxes to fund the extra refuse collection that's needed to remove all the organic waste from our streets that the birds currently collect for free.
I’m not sure where you’re based or if you make it along to ER. These pests appear to be on the increase in the UK. Maybe globally their numbers are in decline - doesn’t appear the case here. There have been numerous stories over the past few years of people being attacked and injured and pets being killed by them. They are a menace and need controlling pronto.

birdspotter
08-07-2018, 09:29 PM

She is right, one of which the Herring Gull has been recently listed as amber listed. That is it is of concern, although the UK is a strongold for this species the listing concerns the European breeding range as a whole.
The other species you see is the summer visiting Lesser black backed Gull which nests throughout Edinburgh.
Loads of which can be found on rooftops around Leith, particularly the flat topped industrial ones near the harbour as well as down at Granton. Opposite Go-outdoors for instance.
Whilst this species is not listed as "of concern" it is still protected in Britain as is much of our wildlife.
That is unless your on a grouse moor, but that's another story!!!
Anyway get used to these gulls as there here to stay!

barcahibs
08-07-2018, 09:50 PM
I'm based in central Scotland and I was at ER today.

Anecdotes aren't data, people are actually employed to monitor species numbers - i used to be one of them.

Herring Gull numbers are down more than 70% since the 1970s. That's just a fact.

What may be happening is that the remaining populations are moving away from the coasts (because we've massively polluted and over-fished the oceans leaving them nothing to eat) and into the towns where there is a plentiful supply of food provided by morons throwing their chips onto the ground.

It makes it look like there's more of them even as their numbers disappear of a cliff.

And despite what facebook and the Daily Mail would like you to believe seagulls don't routinely kill cats/dogs and children are far more at risk of death or injury from swallowing discarded cigarette butts than they are from seagulls.

FWIW the only reason we have so many seagulls in towns is because we already shot all the Red Kites.

Get rid of the seagulls and I'll predict rat populations will explode.

hibbysam
08-07-2018, 10:14 PM

They don’t go away though do they? They ease off a little but throughout the season it’s a massive problem. I wouldn’t go to the theatre and expect to not watch the show with fear of being shat on or bombed by birds, I pay money to go to ER to watch the football, today wasn’t a ‘slight inconvenience’ it was a total pain in the arse. I get your probably some weird seagull enthusiast but that doesn’t mean we sit back and accept the issue.

tamig
08-07-2018, 10:22 PM
I'm based in central Scotland and I was at ER today.

Anecdotes aren't data, people are actually employed to monitor species numbers - i used to be one of them.

Herring Gull numbers are down more than 70% since the 1970s. That's just a fact.

What may be happening is that the remaining populations are moving away from the coasts (because we've massively polluted and over-fished the oceans leaving them nothing to eat) and into the towns where there is a plentiful supply of food provided by morons throwing their chips onto the ground.

It makes it look like there's more of them even as their numbers disappear of a cliff.

And despite what facebook and the Daily Mail would like you to believe seagulls don't routinely kill cats/dogs and children are far more at risk of death or injury from swallowing discarded cigarette butts than they are from seagulls.

FWIW the only reason we have so many seagulls in towns is because we already shot all the Red Kites.

Get rid of the seagulls and I'll predict rat populations will explode.
I don’t read the Mail and I’ve seen gulls swooping down aggressively and ripping food from people’s hands. You may be a fan but I’m not. They may have some benefits but they are a menace in many situations. At the football is one of them. I got shat on today - but only on the arm. That isn’t what turned me against them incidentally. I just think they’re a nuisance.

barcahibs
08-07-2018, 10:29 PM
They don’t go away though do they? They ease off a little but throughout the season it’s a massive problem. I wouldn’t go to the theatre and expect to not watch the show with fear of being shat on or bombed by birds, I pay money to go to ER to watch the football, today wasn’t a ‘slight inconvenience’ it was a total pain in the arse. I get your probably some weird seagull enthusiast but that doesn’t mean we sit back and accept the issue.

Theatres are inside. Seagulls are outside. Easter Road is outside. Do you see how that works? The scrounging squirrels can be a pain at Bard in the Botanics mind you.

Theatres also don't tend to have people frisbeeing their halfpizza because they can't be bothered to find a bin. (Though to be fair the ER pizza makes a better frisbee than it does a foodstuff)

The solution is there if people want it enough.

Personally I can take or leave gulls. I'd rather have red kites, but we shot all of them so here we are.

The vast majority of the gulls will go away once the chicks fledge. The rest will be dead in the next couple of decades anyway.

Then we can all moan about the rats.

Viva_Palmeiras
08-07-2018, 10:38 PM
Thank the parliament - who displaced
The gulls and moved the problem on elsewhere for example Spring Gardens never had a problem until they started with those hawks/whatever.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
08-07-2018, 10:59 PM
I was tempted to but some chips a toss them near the linesman on the East stand, just to see him panic as they attacked him and the chips.

I'm liking that! Could be a way to deal with substandard officiating.

Spread the word...

Hibby70
08-07-2018, 11:10 PM

A retractable roof? Would mean we need to fill the corners in also so I'm in.

seanshow
08-07-2018, 11:34 PM
They really were out in force today, worst I've seen and s****ing everywhere.
I feel fortunate my seat is right at the back but others are not so lucky.

I noticed recently in the livvy shopping centre up through the roof they have a mechanical hawk thing, it looks pretty cool, ......But how effective it is on deterring bigger birds like gulls, who knows.
Its one up from a plastic owl :)

Someone at the club should be looking for a solution

Hermit Crab
08-07-2018, 11:37 PM
They really were out in force today, worst I've seen and s****ing everywhere.
I feel fortunate my seat is right at the back but others are not so lucky.

I noticed recently in the livvy shopping centre up through the roof they have a mechanical hawk thing, it looks pretty cool, ......But how effective it is on deterring bigger birds like gulls, who knows.
Its one up from a plastic owl :)

Someone at the club should be looking for a solution

Fans need to complain to get action taken, fan also need to stop throwing unfinished food on the ground as well, parents take note.

hibbysam
09-07-2018, 03:39 AM
Theatres are inside. Seagulls are outside. Easter Road is outside. Do you see how that works? The scrounging squirrels can be a pain at Bard in the Botanics mind you.

Theatres also don't tend to have people frisbeeing their halfpizza because they can't be bothered to find a bin. (Though to be fair the ER pizza makes a better frisbee than it does a foodstuff)

Personally I can take or leave gulls. I'd rather have red kites, but we shot all of them so here we are.

The vast majority of the gulls will go away once the chicks fledge. The rest will be dead in the next couple of decades anyway.

Then we can all moan about the rats.

Yesterday had nothing to do with leftover food. There was none by 2.20 when I arrived but there was still hundreds of seagulls. If it’s to do with nesting during the summer then the club need to do something to stop that. Also, unless the club put bins at each seat/row then rubbish will always get left under seats.

Mick O'Rourke
09-07-2018, 05:19 AM

Give the sparrowhawk a 4yr contract.
Or sign Muttley

https://i.imgur.com/qgPem29.gif

TheMentalHibees
09-07-2018, 06:50 AM
Fans need to complain to get action taken, fan also need to stop throwing unfinished food on the ground as well, parents take note.

Who has the disposable income to toss away food at the football? If I’ve spent £5.00 on a pie and hot beef drink you can be damn skippy I’m finishing the lot.

GreenCastle
09-07-2018, 06:56 AM
These threads happen every season.

The seagulls are a nightmare and I fully agree it’s a massive distraction when you just want to enjoy the football.

Hibs should be doing something to help and the most simple thing is tell fans to not feed them and bin their waste properly.

Ideally recycle which I’ve brought up on here before.

Yesterday was horrendous and it won’t be 2 weeks till they are fixed it will be longer - it’s the same every season.

we are hibs
09-07-2018, 07:31 AM
The thing is, if people started putting their food in the bins you would have a thread on here saying people are getting up every 2 minutes to go to bins and getting in my way of the game.

barcahibs
09-07-2018, 07:46 AM
Its 100% to do with food. The seagulls are only in cities at all because of the food waste we leave lying about. They should be on the coasts - but we've taken all their food away from there.

There's not much the club can do. The seagulls see ER in the close season as one big empty cliff face, perfect for nesting. Then a couple of weeks later when the chicks are at their most vulnerable and the adults are half starved, a bunch of predators turn up and start throwing food around.

You can't kill them or interfere with their nests. That's illegal (and also, i would hope, not "Hibs Class"))

You could try netting or anti nesting spikes on the stadium roofs - that's very expensive.

You could employ people to walk up and down the roofs and seat areas all day every day before the birds nest - again expensive.

You could use noisemakers - i suspect the neighbours would complain, and they only work for so long anyway.

You could try kites, plastic owls, robot hawks - they don't work unless they are constantly repositioned, again expensive.

You could try getting in a company that flies birds of prey but ER is such a big area that again its going to be expensive and it probably won't work.

Or fans could stop feeding them. But we've already established that's impossible.

madhibee_again
09-07-2018, 07:54 AM
Looked to be a nest in the East stand at the FF end, so based on that, they won't be going anywhere quickly.

andybev1
09-07-2018, 08:11 AM
Just neded a guy walking round with a big bird of prey on his arm like they did when I worked at kings cross. It should stop them I think. You can hire ppl for that.

hibbysam
09-07-2018, 08:34 AM
Its 100% to do with food. The seagulls are only in cities at all because of the food waste we leave lying about. They should be on the coasts - but we've taken all their food away from there.

There's not much the club can do. The seagulls see ER in the close season as one big empty cliff face, perfect for nesting. Then a couple of weeks later when the chicks are at their most vulnerable and the adults are half starved, a bunch of predators turn up and start throwing food around.

You can't kill them or interfere with their nests. That's illegal (and also, i would hope, not "Hibs Class"))

You could try netting or anti nesting spikes on the stadium roofs - that's very expensive.

You could employ people to walk up and down the roofs and seat areas all day every day before the birds nest - again expensive.

You could use noisemakers - i suspect the neighbours would complain, and they only work for so long anyway.

You could try kites, plastic owls, robot hawks - they don't work unless they are constantly repositioned, again expensive.

You could try getting in a company that flies birds of prey but ER is such a big area that again its going to be expensive and it probably won't work.

Or fans could stop feeding them. But we've already established that's impossible.

Our fans haven’t been in the stadium since mid may. I was one of the first in on Sunday... so how can this be the fault of the fans? Mind boggling.

barcahibs
09-07-2018, 08:54 AM
Our fans haven’t been in the stadium since mid may. I was one of the first in on Sunday... so how can this be the fault of the fans? Mind boggling.

Because they left a big empty stadium for several weeks- perfect for birds to nest in - and then turned up looking and acting like predators in front of birds with young. They then started throwing food about in front of half starved animals.

I don't get what's so difficult to understand?

I could try saying it in seagull?

"Caw".

It's a problem created by humans. If we didn't throw food about the gulls wouldnt be here at all. They'd be starving to death on sea cliffs.

hibbysam
09-07-2018, 09:07 AM
Because they left a big empty stadium for several weeks- perfect for birds to nest in - and then turned up looking and acting like predators in front of birds with young. They then started throwing food about in front of half starved animals.

I don't get what's so difficult to understand?

I could try saying it in seagull?

"Caw".

It's a problem created by humans. If we didn't throw food about the gulls wouldnt be here at all. They'd be starving to death on sea cliffs.

‘Acting like predators’ - sitting in a football stadium watching a football match... Sooner the pests are all gone the better.

Greentinted
09-07-2018, 09:11 AM
Am no a tree-hugging, grungy hippy type but I always marvel at the arrogance of our species as we lord it up, demanding the extermination (euphemistically referred to as ‘controlling numbers’) of other species that happen to annoy some of us.
The birds have been around a lot longer than we have and will probably be here long after we’re gone...how dare they interrupt a game of football!

greenlex
09-07-2018, 09:25 AM
Sure there's gulls at Pittoders also.

Aberdeen have a guy with a hawk. Saw him going round the pitch before the last match.

CMurdoch
09-07-2018, 09:38 AM

In a nutshell :aok:

jacomo
09-07-2018, 10:23 AM
I'm sure I read somewhere that there was a machine you could get which played a high pitched sound of some kind which kept them away(?)

The rubbish/food lying around probably doesn't help, but I don't know why there are so many of them and they are so bad.

These machines should be banned.

They generate noise pollution, horrendous things.

birdspotter
09-07-2018, 10:35 AM
Yesterday had nothing to do with leftover food. There was none by 2.20 when I arrived but there was still hundreds of seagulls. If it’s to do with nesting during the summer then the club need to do something to stop that. Also, unless the club put bins at each seat/row then rubbish will always get left under seats.

Given one guy I spoke to recently tried to survey the roof nesting population of gulls within Edinburgh and came up with over 1000 prs and that gulls have been known to travel up to 50km for food (between London & a rubbish tip), how would the club do this?
It is just financially not possible, even if they just restricted their efforts to Leith. That said they wouldn't be allowed to either as previously mentioned they ste protected.
During the same conversation with the bloke who done the surveying he mentioned that the increase in the city breeding population's might not just be about food!
It seems that there is a 5 degrees difference in temperature to being in the city rather than outside this means a brood is more likely to succeed.
He also mentioned he was puzzled when doing his surveys that many nests were not located where you would expect, behind chimneys, in gutters and valleys etc, but jammed tight between the actual chimney pots!
It wasn't until hearing about the links with temperature that he thought most likely these birds were there for that reason as the heat from gas fires etc rise up through these pots.
As I say the gulls are here to sTay and we need to adapt our way of living to discourage them further.

allezsauzee
09-07-2018, 11:23 AM
The weird thing is they seemed bugger off at half time (in the FF at least) only to make a reappearance as soon as the second half was under way.

i thought this was weird too. Maybe they were only there for the football?

Bostonhibby
09-07-2018, 12:01 PM
i thought this was weird too. Maybe they were only there for the football?They're not daft we're told.

While everyone else is queueing for an overpriced pie that consists of cardboard, wallpaper paste and sawdust they nip off to Greggs and still get back in plenty time for second half dive bombing and generally taking the piss out of their evolutionary inferiors.

madjock9
27-07-2018, 04:08 PM
Just watched the post match interview with Lennon and in the background a huge amount of seagulls wandering around the pitch and stands.

did they pay to get in and count towards the attendance?

penihibs
27-07-2018, 04:13 PM
Passed through Musselburgh today,was a guy with a Bird of prey walking about outside the bus depot, seagulls were going mental.
Maybe should get him down on match days.
Mind you probably a Jambo with a bird like that!!

HIBERNIAN-0762
27-07-2018, 04:40 PM
They are a damned nuisance and I don't care what the RSPB say they should be a massive cull 😠 Rant over 👍

The Pointer
27-07-2018, 04:50 PM
They are a damned nuisance and I don't care what the RSPB say they should be a massive cull 😠 Rant over 👍

Agree completely and I don't know why they're a 'protected species'. They're not referred to as 'flying rats' for nothing. Millions of the bggrs.

Sir David Gray
27-07-2018, 05:15 PM
There was nowhere near as many during the game last night as there were a couple of weeks ago.

jane_says
27-07-2018, 05:27 PM
They have been plaguing North Edinburgh, all summer. Anybody got any ideas why?

Because people chuck their half eaten food on the floor, or leave rubbish bags lying next to the main biffa bins. They’re opportunists and if folk cut their supply, they’d disappear.

Eyrie
27-07-2018, 06:20 PM
Written by the appropriately named Craig Fowler (https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/competitions/premiership/the-escalating-conflict-between-the-seagulls-and-scottish-football-1-4773726).

snooky
27-07-2018, 06:24 PM
Because people chuck their half eaten food on the floor, or leave rubbish bags lying next to the main biffa bins. They’re opportunists and if folk cut their supply, they’d disappear.

Or just re-sign Calum Booth :wink:

Captain Trips
27-07-2018, 06:28 PM
There is only one person to deal with the seagulls:

https://www.thefamouspeople.com/profiles/images/eric-cantona-2.jpg

HIBERNIAN-0762
27-07-2018, 06:34 PM
Agree completely and I don't know why they're a 'protected species'. They're not referred to as 'flying rats' for nothing. Millions of the bggrs.

Anything with the word royal in it is not up for discussion to us peasants.

Joe6-2
27-07-2018, 06:36 PM

This

CropleyWasGod
27-07-2018, 06:37 PM
They are a damned nuisance and I don't care what the RSPB say they should be a massive cull [emoji34] Rant over [emoji106]I'd cull the idiots who encourage them at games.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Bostonhibby
27-07-2018, 07:07 PM
Just had a wee read of the catering related thread.

If you produce food fit for seagulls............

You'll get a lot of seagulls.

stoneyburn hibs
27-07-2018, 07:41 PM
I don't know why the club don't just put up a sign (NO SEAGULLS)

Frogga
27-07-2018, 08:37 PM
I say we embrace the seagulls as part of our club. We can get them on our badge and convince the tourists that they are a 'display' for while the game goes on. If one eagle flying around is good enough for Palace fans then 100 Seagulls will work a treat for us [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-J530F using Tapatalk

CropleyWasGod
27-07-2018, 08:52 PM
I don't know why the club don't just put up a sign (NO SEAGULLS)You think they're that gullible?

barcahibs
27-07-2018, 09:11 PM

While I do respect your research - and it's hard to argue woth that level of scientific rigour - the folk who actually go out every year and count the buggers (and I'll admit I used to be one of them) respectfully disagree.

http://jncc.defra.gov.uk/page-2887

European conservation priority species (which may be the real reason Nigel Farage wanted out of Europe - he looks exactly the type of guy who would have no concern for anything that isn't him)

UK Red List species

Irish Red List species

UK biodiversity action plan priority species.

These gulls (this is for Herring Gulls but the other common urban gulls show similar declines) are in serious, serious trouble.

We've dumped so much trash in our ocean and overharvested fish stocks to the extent that they have nothing to eat on the coast.

Ironically its the fact that we also dump our trash in the cities that means they've found a bit of a haven here.

Its entirely our fault - because a significant fraction of us can't act like grown ups and responsibly deal with our waste problem.

I sat in the car park at subway today and watched a grown man throw most of a sub sandwich out his window (along with the wrapper) and drive off. To be fair I would throw a subway sandwich away as well, but he was right next to a bin.

And if you don't like gulls then beware the alternative. Gulls are model Hibees compared to the Jambo rats that will replace them when they're gone.

lapsedhibee
27-07-2018, 09:36 PM
Its entirely our fault - because a significant fraction of us can't act like grown ups and responsibly deal with our waste problem.

I sat in the car park at subway today and watched a grown man throw most of a sub sandwich out his window (along with the wrapper) and drive off. To be fair I would throw a subway sandwich away as well, but he was right next to a bin.

Nothing to do with being grown up. About being lazy, selfish ****s.

snooky
27-07-2018, 09:40 PM
You think they're that gullible?

:greengrin

:hmmm: Albert Ross might scare them away :wink:

snooky
27-07-2018, 09:42 PM
I say we embrace the seagulls as part of our club. We can get them on our badge and convince the tourists that they are a 'display' for while the game goes on. If one eagle flying around is good enough for Palace fans then 100 Seagulls will work a treat for us [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-J530F using Tapatalk

Especially if we train them to s*** on maroon jerseys :aok:

southsider
28-07-2018, 02:21 PM
At HT I shouted ‘right lads attack the Greeks. Greeks were terrified and lose 3 goals. Nuff said.

Keith_M
28-07-2018, 02:26 PM
At HT I shouted ‘right lads attack the Greeks. Greeks were terrified and lose 3 goals. Nuff said.

You may be joking but I'm convinced it was the Greek's fear of the Gull Mob* that put them completely off their game second half.

* They deserve a pwopah nawty gang style name.

CropleyWasGod
28-07-2018, 02:27 PM
You may be joking but I'm convinced it was the Greek's fear of the Gull Mob* that put them completely off their game second half.

* They deserve a pwopah nawty gang style name.

Terned the game. :agree:

Dashing Bob S
28-07-2018, 02:30 PM
There is no gull problem, only a human one. Most seagulls now live inland on rubbish tips. Blame the filthy species who leave piles of rubbish around untreated. Those scavenging birds are only attempting to clean up the land as they once did with sea, before we made it too toxic for them. Give them a bloody medal I say. (I would add 'exterminate the humans' but we seem to be have that already in hand.)

Keith_M
28-07-2018, 02:32 PM
There is no gull problem, only a human one. Most seagulls now live inland on rubbish tips. Blame the filthy species who leave piles of rubbish around untreated. Those scavenging birds are only attempting to clean up the land as they once did with sea, before we made it too toxic for them. Give them a bloody medal I say. (I would add 'exterminate the humans' but we seem to be have that already in hand.)

I blame Hearts for the whole thing.

I admit I don't have anything in the way of logic, or evidence, but I stand by my theory that it's all their fault.

pacorosssco
28-07-2018, 02:38 PM

You mean jambos no?