PDA

View Full Version : Crowd for tomorrow

DavidDavidGray
07-07-2018, 08:22 PM
Anyone any idea what the crowd is meant to be like for tomorrow’s game? Hope it’s decent as Hanlon definitely deserves it.

hfc rd
07-07-2018, 08:23 PM
Doesn’t look great at all, looking online.

Hope we see a surge of folk PATG.

J-C
07-07-2018, 08:28 PM
Wrong time of year unfortunately, holidays and Europa game 4 days later doesn't help, maybe an international break later when the season is going might've been better.

Billy Whizz
07-07-2018, 08:32 PM
Doesn’t look great at all, looking online.

Hope we see a surge of folk PATG.

What’s online showing?
Still think crowd will be around 8,000 or so

Ozyhibby
07-07-2018, 08:41 PM
I’m pay at the gate tomorrow and I’m sure loads of others will be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Baldy Foghorn
07-07-2018, 08:43 PM
Hope it is big, he certainly deserves it...........

frazeHFC
07-07-2018, 08:43 PM
He deserves a full crowd for what he's given for the club but it's just an awful time of year for it (like Stevenson's was) in terms of getting a big crowd due to holidays etc. Glad I can make it though looking forward to it.

we are hibs
07-07-2018, 08:57 PM
Couldn't they have made it right at the end of the season instead?

hibbysam
07-07-2018, 09:15 PM
All this ‘wrong time of year’ stuff, we can surely muster 10k for a true legend of the clubs testimonial against a half decent side. Rangers managed over 40k in a friendly against bury yesterday. Yes some may be on holiday, but holidays nowadays are taken between April and September, there will be many who can afford to go just not doing so. Let’s get out and support one of our own.

hfc rd
07-07-2018, 09:18 PM
All this ‘wrong time of year’ stuff, we can surely muster 10k for a true legend of the clubs testimonial against a half decent side. Rangers managed over 40k in a friendly against bury yesterday. Yes some may be on holiday, but holidays nowadays are taken between April and September, there will be many who can afford to go just not doing so. Let’s get out and support one of our own.

Totally agree.

hfc rd
07-07-2018, 09:20 PM
What’s online showing?
Still think crowd will be around 8,000 or so

https://www.eticketing.co.uk/hibernianfc/EDP/Event/Index/2397

B.H.F.C
07-07-2018, 09:29 PM
Don’t know if I’ve totally missed it, or if anything else is still to happen, but has there been any other testimonial events for Hanlon? Like how Lewis had the dinner at the Corn Exchange etc?

Scouse Hibee
07-07-2018, 09:41 PM
Don’t know if I’ve totally missed it, or if anything else is still to happen, but has there been any other testimonial events for Hanlon? Like how Lewis had the dinner at the Corn Exchange etc?

Other events to follow

SirDavidsNapper
07-07-2018, 09:45 PM
Unfortunately pre season testimonials will never be big crowds. 10k-ish i reckon which would be impressive.

Hermit Crab
07-07-2018, 10:34 PM
Unfortunately pre season testimonials will never be big crowds. 10k-ish i reckon which would be impressive.

Only around 4k tickets sold, theres absolutely no danger of getting 6 thousand walk ups tomorrow.

Onceinawhile
07-07-2018, 10:42 PM

Glasgow holidays aren't for another two weeks tho.

stoneyburn hibs
07-07-2018, 10:52 PM
Missing due to Transmit, quite a few will be the same I'd imagine.

hibbysam
07-07-2018, 11:52 PM
Glasgow holidays aren't for another two weeks tho.

Like I say, how many people still get the ‘trades’? Barely any I know of. People take their holidays when it suits nowadays. People will always find an excuse, but if we get less than 10k for a cup winning Hibs legend then it’ll be a sad day for Paul. He deserves far more.

B.H.F.C
08-07-2018, 12:01 AM
Like I say, how many people still get the ‘trades’? Barely any I know of. People take their holidays when it suits nowadays. People will always find an excuse, but if we get less than 10k for a cup winning Hibs legend then it’ll be a sad day for Paul. He deserves far more.

It wcnt be that sad really. Up until a couple of years ago we were regularly getting less than 10k for real games.

A lot of people are away. Forget it just being the trades, it’s the start of the school holidays.

And it’s expensive when we have a European game four days later. That’s not excuses, just life.

Viva_Palmeiras
08-07-2018, 12:27 AM
It wcnt be that sad really. Up until a couple of years ago we were regularly getting less than 10k for real games.

A lot of people are away. Forget it just being the trades, it’s the start of the school holidays.

And it’s expensive when we have a European game four days later. That’s not excuses, just life.

Same as for Lewys and Suzy came up trumps with the option to donate a ticket.

pacorosssco
08-07-2018, 12:30 AM
Both Lewis and Hanson deserved bigger opposition and the games to be last warm up not first

SideBurns
08-07-2018, 12:40 AM
As I said on another thread, I'll be there but many others who'd like to be won't for a variety of reasons which have been previously highlighted. Paul won't get the crowd he deserves, and neither did Lewis last season.

The best chance of doing so would be to go down the road of the Gordon Rae & Alan Sneddon matches - quality opposition during the season. There are obviously difficulties with that template in the modern era, otherwise both PH & LS would doubtless have followed it.

My_Wife_Camille
08-07-2018, 01:55 AM
Only around 4k tickets sold, theres absolutely no danger of getting 6 thousand walk ups tomorrow.
Why not? There were about 5 thousand walk ups for Lewis’s and that was a grim rainy day.

Think the attendace will be about 8-9k all told to be fair but with some decent weather who knows. Blackburn aren’t bringing any more than 500

BoomtownHibees
08-07-2018, 02:49 AM
Both Lewis and Hanson deserved bigger opposition and the games to be last warm up not first

Mmmbop

Ronniekirk
08-07-2018, 08:36 AM
Am on Holiday so four missing Gutted I won't be there Went to Lewis Stevenson one as he deserved a decent turn out and Paul falls into the same category

Pretty Boy
08-07-2018, 08:50 AM
I would have like to have gone but I can't justify £20 today and then £23 for Thursday and then the potential of another £23 in a couple of weeks. I had my daughters Christening yesterday which costs money and have Grandparents coming for brunch today.

That's maybe just a list of excuses but they are legitimate to me so that's all that really matters.

Brooster
08-07-2018, 10:17 AM
There's some tosh getting trotted out on here from folk trying to justify to themselves why they are too tight to pay £20 for such a deserving cause.

J-C
08-07-2018, 10:22 AM
There's some tosh getting trotted out on here from folk trying to justify to themselves why they are too tight to pay £20 for such a deserving cause.

Alright for you though eh Mr moneybags :rolleyes::confused:

The Modfather
08-07-2018, 10:23 AM

If you want to go down that route I’m sure £20 could be going to far more deserving cause than a footballers pension.

hibbysam
08-07-2018, 10:25 AM
If you want to go down that route I’m sure £20 could be going to far more deserving cause than a footballers pension.

Like Cardiac arrest In the young or various other charities perhaps??

J-C
08-07-2018, 10:26 AM

All monies are going to charity

The Modfather
08-07-2018, 10:28 AM

*quickly looks for the delete button*

Fair enough, an assumption on my part that appears to wrong. Apologies.

3pm
08-07-2018, 10:29 AM

Is that the case mate? I didn’t think it was all of it.

madhatter
08-07-2018, 10:32 AM
I decided not to go but put what I could towards tickets so other people can hopefully go. I hope there is a good crowd.

J-C
08-07-2018, 10:33 AM
Is that the case mate? I didn’t think it was all of it.

My bad, just a wee check and it's part being donated, I thought all of it was.

neil7908
08-07-2018, 10:35 AM

I have other things to do with my day - is that OK?

Billy Whizz
08-07-2018, 10:47 AM
Really looking forward to the game
Will be a good run out pre the Europa league game on Thursday
Expect Mallon to get some game time, although he said he only started pre season on Monday at Barnsley. Blackburn also only started training last monday as well!
Hope that big Flo is fit, only had 45 mins so far

Souter96Mac
08-07-2018, 10:49 AM
Should be a good game, tough test which should help us prep for Thursday. Also bragging rights on the line for me over my Rovers mate.
I'll go 2-1 Hibs win.

Hermit Crab
08-07-2018, 10:51 AM

The £20 I'm saving by not going is been put towards a far more deserving cause imo, my 4 month old son so shove your justification pish.

CentreLine
08-07-2018, 10:51 AM
Said this on another thread but it looks to me like all the reasons for small attendances for today and Thursday is all the argument required for not moving to summer football.

Hope PH has a successful day regardless. He deserves it for sure

GGTTH

Souter96Mac
08-07-2018, 10:59 AM
Said this on another thread but it looks to me like all the reasons for small attendances for today and Thursday is all the argument required for not moving to summer football.

Hope PH has a successful day regardless. He deserves it for sure

GGTTH
Good point on the summer football.

hibbysam
08-07-2018, 11:04 AM

100% mate.

Diclonius
08-07-2018, 11:06 AM
Expect Mallon to get some game time

And so it begins. :greengrin

Scouse Hibee
08-07-2018, 11:06 AM

Utter tosh.

Hermit Crab
08-07-2018, 11:09 AM
Utter tosh.

100% mate.

Dashing Bob S
08-07-2018, 11:13 AM
Somewhere north of Gary MacKay and south of Popeye Sneddon would be estimate.

Brightside
08-07-2018, 11:22 AM
10 years he’s committed himself to our club. The attitude of some fans is staggering at times.

stoneyburn hibs
08-07-2018, 11:24 AM
10 years he’s committed himself to our club. The attitude of some fans is staggering at times.

Shocking eh ? Imagine folk having other plans.

Hermit Crab
08-07-2018, 11:27 AM
Shocking eh ? Imagine folk having other plans.

Oh the very thought. Money wise it was between today and Thursday for me and Thursday won. Spending today with my son at a relatives birthday, I really hope thats ok with some people on here.

Scouse Hibee
08-07-2018, 11:32 AM
Oh the very thought. Money wise it was between today and Thursday for me and Thursday won. Spending today with my son at a relatives birthday, I really hope thats ok with some people on here.

No one has to justify their non attendance, life is about making choices and most make them to suit their own personal circumstances and rightly so.

3pm
08-07-2018, 11:34 AM
Money’s been a bit tight this month so I opted against Linlithgow and Berwick so I could go today.

Decisions! Decisions!

B.H.F.C
08-07-2018, 11:34 AM

To be fair, he’s probably been paid very well over that period and got to do a job the rest of us could only dream about.

I’m going and think it’s well earned on his part but I wouldn’t blame anybody for not going, particularly when there is a far more important game on Thursday costing £23.

Gatecrasher
08-07-2018, 11:36 AM
I'm the opposite, if it wasn't Hanlons testimonial I wouldn't be going. I'm making the effort as a thanks for his service to the club.

pollution
08-07-2018, 11:37 AM

What cause?

HibbyAndy
08-07-2018, 11:37 AM
He's one of our own...played a massive part in bringing the holy grail home..il be there with my 2 kids

Edinburgh boy ! Hibs fan !

madhatter
08-07-2018, 11:38 AM
This isn't going to become another debate on who is a super duper fan is it?

pollution
08-07-2018, 11:43 AM
Great player, well paid perhaps £90k per year? Testimonials are so old fashioned.

Certainly give to a charity but I don't need to donate part of the gate to a footballer to do so.

SirDavidsNapper
08-07-2018, 11:54 AM
Saving my money for the European games. Hopefully a decent turnout today.

neil7908
08-07-2018, 12:11 PM
This isn't going to become another debate on who is a super duper fan is it?

It wasn't but some folk can't resist pronouncing their superiority over others and having a go at fellow Hibs fans they knows nothing about.

Booked4Being-Ugly
08-07-2018, 12:12 PM
I’ll be there and I hope there’s a god turnout for another great servant to the club.

J-C
08-07-2018, 12:46 PM
I'm going buy it was a last minute decision, got Thursdays game, youngest daughter just moved to her 1st flat, my 25th wedding anniversary next weekend and middle son and his fiance going to be parents, a lot of expense this summer.

Thecat23
08-07-2018, 12:49 PM
I’ll be there and I hope there’s a god turnout for another great servant to the club.

Not sure god can make it today Sunday is usually a busy day for him. But I’m sure he lol wish Paul all the best! 😁

Pretty Boy
08-07-2018, 01:26 PM

Aye very good. Moronic comment.

Allant1981
08-07-2018, 01:28 PM

aye ok, you dont know peoples circumstances, some folk dont even agree with testimonial games

Allant1981
08-07-2018, 01:32 PM

or some folk have more important things in their lives

Stuart93
08-07-2018, 01:47 PM
or some folk have more important things in their lives

More important than hibs? Doubt it

B.H.F.C
08-07-2018, 01:52 PM
Looking like a disappointing crowd. Shame for Hanlon.

Scheduling really is poor though.

Thecat23
08-07-2018, 01:54 PM
Easter road is empty, very poor turnout for a Hibs legend which is a real shame.

08-07-2018, 02:15 PM
Scott Brown’s Celtic testimonial was 20 May.

That time of year might have got a bigger crowd for Hanlon’s.

I am not at the game today, keeping my money for the game on Thursday. Can’t do both.

Brightside
08-07-2018, 02:28 PM
10000 people either working on holiday, skint. Most of them begging for hearts tickets in a few months.

SunshineOnLeith
08-07-2018, 02:30 PM
10000 people either working on holiday, skint. Most of them begging for hearts tickets in a few months.

It's almost as if people want to go to a competitive match more than a friendly.

I for one am shocked.

we are hibs
08-07-2018, 02:31 PM

Right, We get it. You're a better hibs fan than the people who aren't at the game. Well done you.

Brightside
08-07-2018, 02:37 PM
It's almost as if people want to go to a competitive match more than a friendly.

I for one am shocked.

It’s a testimonial for one of our greatest players. Why are people not getting that.

08-07-2018, 02:40 PM
It’s a testimonial for one of our greatest players. Why are people not getting that.

Why are you not getting that people might be skint?

Why are you not getting that people might be on holiday?

Why are you not getting that there’s another game in under a week that isn’t covered by season tickets?

Why are you not getting that it’s a friendly?

Why are you not getting that there isn’t a single Hibs fan out there that doesn’t appreciate what Hanlon has given to Hibs, but still can’t make the game?

B.H.F.C
08-07-2018, 02:40 PM

I think you answered your own question when you mentioned folk being on holiday etc.

Pretty Boy
08-07-2018, 02:47 PM
I wonder if some people are as rude in real life and think it's appropriate to sit in their office, the pub or whatever and pass comment on other peoples financial, familial and social circumstances? It's one of thise things most people with basic manners are taught that you just don't do.

bingo70
08-07-2018, 02:55 PM
I wonder if some people are as rude in real life and think it's appropriate to sit in their office, the pub or whatever and pass comment on other peoples financial, familial and social circumstances? It's one of thise things most people with basic manners are taught that you just don't do.

Yup, good post.

I’m not there today even though I stay 2 minutes away and love and respect everything that Hanlon has done for hibs.

Part of me wants to pitch into this debate to explain why I’m not there but I keep stopping myself as quite frankly it’s nobody else’s business and I, like everyone not there, doesn’t need to justify anything to anyone.

08-07-2018, 02:58 PM
Yup, good post.

I’m not there today even though I stay 2 minutes away and love and respect everything that Hanlon has done for hibs.

Part of me wants to pitch into this debate to explain why I’m not there but I keep stopping myself as quite frankly it’s nobody else’s business and I, like everyone not there, doesn’t need to justify anything to anyone.

Well said.

bookert
08-07-2018, 02:59 PM
Easter road is empty, very poor turnout for a Hibs legend which is a real shame.

Yes really disappointing, given he is the player that in recent years most exemplifies what it means to be a hibee loyalty, ability, professionalism and a love of the club.

Itsnoteasy
08-07-2018, 03:00 PM

No one has to justify themselves why they are not at a testimonial match against the mighty Blackburn Rovers.
Yes testimonials are about supporting the loyalty of the player, but also a decent opposition team. You used to also get cameo appearances from legends in the game, like when Kenny Dalgleish played for Hibs in Alan Sneddons testimonial.
Ok Ian Murray had Pires & Viera but he didn't deserve a testimonial hence the **** turn oot he got.

JimboHibs
08-07-2018, 03:04 PM
Some of the posts on this thread are utter ridiculous.

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
08-07-2018, 03:11 PM

You are getting your knickers in a twist eh?!

It's a crappy pre season friendly, against a crappy unglamarous side.

I didn't go today. I really like Hanlon, think he's great for us, and really wish him well. Bit the days of football players getting testimonials really should be long gone, they are well paid and really don't need them.

I felt it was a bit steep, and personally I hate testimonials - they are rubbish, boring and not enjoyable in the slightest.

Also, I think the time of year to hold it is really rubbish. Had it been during the season, is have been more inclined to go. Had there been a good opponent, is have been more inclined to go. But ultimately, watching a boring, friendly match with endless substitutions just isn't my thing.

Jamesie
08-07-2018, 03:15 PM
Couldn't they have made it right at the end of the season instead?

I think this has to be the future of testimonials. L

The Modfather
08-07-2018, 03:22 PM

I didn't go today. I really like Hanlon, think he's great for us, and really wish him well. Bit the days of football players getting testimonials really should be long gone, they are well paid and really don't need them.

I felt it was a bit steep, and personally I hate testimonials - they are rubbish, boring and not enjoyable in the slightest.

Also, I think the time of year to hold it is really rubbish. Had it been during the season, is have been more inclined to go. Had there been a good opponent, is have been more inclined to go. But ultimately, watching a boring, friendly match with endless substitutions just isn't my thing.

That won’t pass muster, better go away and think of a better justification and run it by the Uber fans on this thread.

WhileTheChief..
08-07-2018, 03:36 PM

Agreed.

Different when players were paid peanuts and left to fend for themselves when their careers ended but those days are long gone.

I’m all for showing him our appreciation but to me, doing it when he’s just signed a new contract, is just ridiculous timing. It should have been held when he was close to leaving the club.

green day
08-07-2018, 03:40 PM
Looking like a disappointing crowd. Shame for Hanlon.

Scheduling really is poor though.

Scheduling is stupid. 1st bit of School holidays, I'm sitting in a bar in Portugal z would love to be there, but I can't.

Dashing Bob S
08-07-2018, 03:44 PM
Scheduling is stupid. 1st bit of School holidays, I'm sitting in a bar in Portugal z would love to be there, but I can't.

Same here. Stuck over in Merchiston drinking a cold lager in the garden with the new squeeze. She dislikes football so I’m going to have to broach my Hibs obsession slowly and don’t want to ***** it all off too early on a drab friendly.

madhatter
08-07-2018, 04:02 PM
Just out of interest to this debate, I donated towards tickets but didn’t go personally, does that still make me an Uber fan? Would just like to clarify whose side I’m on. :confused:

In fairness to the fans that did go and didn’t, that was a very poor game. Water breaks, a load of subs and played at a slow pace. Hardly entertaining stuff.

Dalianwanda
08-07-2018, 04:05 PM
What was the attendance?

lord bunberry
08-07-2018, 04:18 PM
Just like last season it was scheduled at the worst time of the year. I’m another one who’s away on holiday. I’d have loved to have gone, but I couldn’t. I applaud the fact that some people donated the cost of a ticket, but I’m not wealthy enough to pay for someone else to go to a game.

RoxburghHibs
08-07-2018, 04:22 PM
What was the attendance?

Brooster
08-07-2018, 04:22 PM
What was the attendance?

7k at a guess.

bingo70
08-07-2018, 04:26 PM
I don’t think the people organising it could do anything about the scheduling of the game. It was obviously just a preseason game labelled as a testimonial as a reward for Hanlons loyalty.

Whoever came up with the pricing for the game is the one that should be answering questions imo.

I pay for a season ticket for my son and I monthly, to take him today and the European game midweek would have cost us £65, add that to my £40 per month Direct debit, unfortunately something had to give so I chose the European game for obvious reasons. I don’t think my situation was a unique one.

*******, I wasn’t going to disclose the reasons I didn’t go but it seems relevant now.

madhatter
08-07-2018, 04:30 PM
I don’t think the people organising it could do anything about the scheduling of the game. It was obviously just a preseason game labelled as a testimonial as a reward for Hanlons loyalty.

Whoever came up with the pricing for the game is the one that should be answering questions imo.

I pay for a season ticket for my son and I monthly, to take him today and the European game midweek would have cost us £65, add that to my £40 per month Direct debit, unfortunately something had to give so I chose the European game for obvious reasons. I don’t think my situation was a unique one.

*******, I wasn’t going to disclose the reasons I didn’t go but it seems relevant now.

Personal reasons for not going aren’t relevant and should remain personal unless you wish to share. I think some are on the wind-up or are just being silly, it’s a personal choice whether you go to a football match, it’s not mandatory.

Imagine Stevenson and Hanlon had their testimonials 4-5 years ago, be lucky to get 3000-4000 at the game during those days.

Big_Franck
08-07-2018, 04:30 PM

You dont have to justify it. Thats a lot of money in one month to spend on football. And thats before any food or drink at the game and the possibility of a 2nd european game later this month.

Borderhibbie76
08-07-2018, 04:39 PM

*******, I wasn’t going to disclose the reasons I didn’t go but it seems relevant now.Exactly this £20 for a friendly is a joke...and I was there today. But the pricing at this time of year for a friendly match was steep

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Brightside
08-07-2018, 04:41 PM
I said pretty clearly that I’ve no issue with people that can’t afford the game etc. People that just can’t be arsed is my issue. He’s a 10 year player and it doesn’t happen often. 6500 is very poor no matter the issues. But I’ll leave it there.

KWJ
08-07-2018, 04:42 PM
Great shame the amount of folk that left before Hanlon's walk. Made it a cringe at certain points. Felt for him.

hfc rd
08-07-2018, 04:45 PM
Great shame the amount of folk that left before Hanlon's walk. Made it a cringe at certain points. Felt for him.

I was sitting close to the front of the east and was melting away. Plus the little one was getting restless.

KWJ
08-07-2018, 04:47 PM
I was sitting close to the front of the east and was melting away. Plus the little one was getting restless.

Sure folk had their reasons bud just a shame for Paul.

madhatter
08-07-2018, 04:48 PM
I said pretty clearly that I’ve no issue with people that can’t afford the game etc. People that just can’t be arsed is my issue. He’s a 10 year player and it doesn’t happen often. 6500 is very poor no matter the issues. But I’ll leave it there.

I couldn’t be bothered but decided to donate for tickets. Is that ok in your eyes? It’s a personal choice, if regular fans don’t turn up every week then Hanlon wouldn’t have had his fairly healthy wage as a footballer, certainly not at Hibs. I’ve been at my work almost 10 years, wonder if I’ll get 6500 people giving me a send off/celebrate my service at £20 a ticket...

Thecat23
08-07-2018, 04:57 PM
I couldn’t be bothered but decided to donate for tickets. Is that ok in your eyes? It’s a personal choice, if regular fans don’t turn up every week then Hanlon wouldn’t have had his fairly healthy wage as a footballer, certainly not at Hibs. I’ve been at my work almost 10 years, wonder if I’ll get 6500 people giving me a send off/celebrate my service at £20 a ticket...

With most of the cash going to charity I don’t really see how anyone can still grudge it. Hanlon isn’t loaded mind, no Hibs player is! It’s a short career where folk who work say in the office may be there years!

In fact I don’t care if he was on £20k a week I’d still go (if I could) because Hanlon for me has shown us what playing for Hibs is all about. He could have gone to another club and earned more but he didn’t. He stayed won the Scottish Cup so I think he himself deserved more. I’m certainly no super fan I just like to show my appreciation to a Hibs legend.

BegbieHSC
08-07-2018, 04:58 PM
Can I be honest. I’m not unhappy that some people couldn’t make it.

I’m really unhappy however that the East/West emptied at the full time whistle, before his lap of honour. The guys played for us for 10 years, and a huge number of folk couldn’t be arsed waiting 10 minutes.

Hermit Crab
08-07-2018, 05:09 PM

I’m really unhappy however that the East/West emptied at the full time whistle, before his lap of honour. The guys played for us for 10 years, and a huge number of folk couldn’t be arsed waiting 10 minutes.

Can I be honest?

People have paid their money so they can leave when they want, they are under no obligation to stay at all.

I've been in the same industry 18 years and all I got for ten years service was a commemorative badge from the union.

bob12345
08-07-2018, 05:09 PM
I think trying to combine the testimonial with a serious pre season friendly was a mistake. Would have much preferred something a bit more imaginative against some Hibs all star XI or opposition with some sort of relevance to Paul. Just was completely flat from start to finish, which Paul didn’t deserve.

BegbieHSC
08-07-2018, 05:12 PM
Can I be honest?

People have paid their money so they can leave when they want, they are under no obligation to stay at all.

I've been in the same industry 18 years and all I got for ten years service was a commemorative badge from the union.

Bit of a passive aggressive response there, which i don’t feel was entirely necessary, if I’m being honest.

Anyway, I do have no doubt that some people left because they had to, but to me it seemed like a huge number, and that more could have stayed to applaud a legend.

madhatter
08-07-2018, 05:14 PM
With most of the cash going to charity I don’t really see how anyone can still grudge it. Hanlon isn’t loaded mind, no Hibs player is! It’s a short career where folk who work say in the office may be there years!

In fact I don’t care if he was on £20k a week I’d still go (if I could) because Hanlon for me has shown us what playing for Hibs is all about. He could have gone to another club and earned more but he didn’t. He stayed won the Scottish Cup so I think he himself deserved more. I’m certainly no super fan I just like to show my appreciation to a Hibs legend.

Point I was making is I couldn’t be bothered but still supported the cause - I donated what I could. I’m not grudging the money too much but being criticised for not going to a testimonial match is a bit over the top. Hopefully people enjoyed the match from what people donated.

People might not have been able to afford it, does Hanlon deserve them to go out of their way? No, he doesn’t, no matter his service to the club. I think 6-7k people turning up to a meaningless game is pretty good considering the opponent, are people forgetting the European matches and the money people are shelling out for that? Money is tight in the world, football should never ever become number 1 priority. Hanlon is a great Hibs player and seems a really nice guy, hope he enjoyed the day and managed to catch up with some old teammates. Let’s not critique people based on the attendance.

Hermit Crab
08-07-2018, 05:16 PM
Bit of a passive aggressive response there, which i don’t feel was entirely necessary, if I’m being honest.

Anyway, I do have no doubt that some people left because they had to, but to me it seemed like a huge number, and that more could have stayed to applaud a legend.

A tad harsh now I've read it again I agree but I reckon most folk there were not too bothered about even watching the game, they only went along because they felt they had to. I wonder how many people that did attend really wanted to be there. Lets be honest, maybe half of them?

I seen a post on facebook or twitter saying they were only going because was McGinns last game...

BegbieHSC
08-07-2018, 05:18 PM
A tad harsh now I've read it again I agree but I reckon most folk there were not too bothered about even watching the game, they only went along because they felt they had to. I wonder how many people that did attend really wanted to be there. Lets be honest, maybe half of them?

I seen a post on facebook or twitter saying they were only going because was McGinns last game...

Fair enough, yeah.

The atmosphere and day did seem entirely flat, so maybe some weren’t too enthusiastic about staying late.

Borderhibbie76
08-07-2018, 05:22 PM
Great shame the amount of folk that left before Hanlon's walk. Made it a cringe at certain points. Felt for him.Don't know why they did all the ar###g about at final whistle tho...they should have got him to do the lap of honour at full time...it was a good 5 mins after and wasn't really made clear

Thecat23
08-07-2018, 05:24 PM
Point I was making is I couldn’t be bothered but still supported the cause - I donated what I could. I’m not grudging the money too much but being criticised for not going to a testimonial match is a bit over the top. Hopefully people enjoyed the match from what people donated.

People might not have been able to afford it, does Hanlon deserve them to go out of their way? No, he doesn’t, no matter his service to the club. I think 6-7k people turning up to a meaningless game is pretty good considering the opponent, are people forgetting the European matches and the money people are shelling out for that? Money is tight in the world, football should never ever become number 1 priority. Hanlon is a great Hibs player and seems a really nice guy, hope he enjoyed the day and managed to catch up with some old teammates. Let’s not critique people based on the attendance.

It’s good you donated to it, I’m not having a go I’m simply stating if folk were doing nothing and could afford it then why not go and show your support to a player who’s gave ten years of his career to us won helped us win the cup and stayed when he could have left. The attitude of “I couldn’t be bothered” I think is pretty crap to be honest. If you or others had plans fair enough. I’m glad I went today as I find the close season boring and it’s alwats nice going to the matches with my son.

Borderhibbie76
08-07-2018, 05:25 PM

In fact I don’t care if he was on £20k a week I’d still go (if I could) because Hanlon for me has shown us what playing for Hibs is all about. He could have gone to another club and earned more but he didn’t. He stayed won the Scottish Cup so I think he himself deserved more. I’m certainly no super fan I just like to show my appreciation to a Hibs legend.Sums it up for me...don't like friendlies and don't normally go...and today's was deffo not the best to watch especially Sat in that boiling sun getting s&&t on by 1000s of seagulls lol. But had to go to pay tribute to a true Hibs legend. Due to the scheduling tho a lot will have missed Due to hols as I do the Runavik game on Thurs

J-C
08-07-2018, 05:31 PM
Some of the comments re folk not being able to go is disgraceful, whoever organized this game made a pigs ear of it. Middle of the trades, Europa game same week it was always going to be poor. Middle of the season at an international break was the time go have it.

Thecat23
08-07-2018, 05:35 PM
Some of the comments re folk not being able to go is disgraceful, whoever organized this game made a pigs ear of it. Middle of the trades, Europa game same week it was always going to be poor. Middle of the season at an international break was the time go have it.

I’d have had it in the international week myself. But I honestly don’t think we’d have got much more folk sadly.

madhatter
08-07-2018, 05:42 PM
I’d have had it in the international week myself. But I honestly don’t think we’d have got much more folk sadly.

Surely end of season is time to have it, especially after the good season we had? Pre-season doesn’t seem the right time to have it.

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
08-07-2018, 05:49 PM
It’s good you donated to it, I’m not having a go I’m simply stating if folk were doing nothing and could afford it then why not go and show your support to a player who’s gave ten years of his career to us won helped us win the cup and stayed when he could have left. The attitude of “I couldn’t be bothered” I think is pretty crap to be honest. If you or others had plans fair enough. I’m glad I went today as I find the close season boring and it’s alwats nice going to the matches with my son.

I do see your point a Bit, I wish I had cared more, but I show my support and appreciation all season, Hanlon is one of my favourite players at Hibs precisely for the reasons you state. But this was a terrible match, at a terrible time and terribly marketed and promoted.

I make no apology for not going, i detest uncompetitive matches, and it's not even like it's the curtain raiser friendly. Whatever reasons it was scheduled as it was are responsible for the crap turnout, plus rubbish opposition and no novelty factor at all.

I do have huge respect for Hanlon and Stevenson, but testimonials are an anachronism imo.

If they must happen, surely wait until they are finish it their careers - Hanlon is just coming into his peak FFS. And organisers really need to be a bit more creative in what they are doing to entice people, teams from abroad, composite teams - I would have been far more likely to go to a Hibs v Hibs legends match, for example, where there would be entertainment, flicks and tricks and novelty- not watching the team toil through a gloeified trainig session.

On another point, its funny how a few of the ITKers getting particularly vocal. I think it's safe to assume where a lot of inside info comes from 😁

Thecat23
08-07-2018, 05:55 PM
Surely end of season is time to have it, especially after the good season we had? Pre-season doesn’t seem the right time to have it.

Or even then yeah.

Eaststand
08-07-2018, 06:12 PM

I'm with you on this.

I respect anyone's decision to go to the game or not.

The date of the game today, plus the opposition chosen seemed odd choices to me. I don't expect Barca, or Real Madrid for our players testimonials, but surely we can attract teams that would maybe entice neutrals to pop along to the game.

I sat at the game today feeling one of our great players was let down.
Paul Hanlons lap of honour at end of the game was to only maybe 2 or 3 thousand people as lots of people had left the stadium. He surely deserves so much more than that.

GGTTH

danhibees1875
08-07-2018, 06:21 PM
Can I be honest?

How many goals did you score against hearts to help bring the cup home though?

:wink:

Iggy Pope
08-07-2018, 06:33 PM

At least one of the testimonial committee posts on here. The timing of the game would be at the preference of both clubs I'd imagine.

J-C
08-07-2018, 06:37 PM
At least one of the testimonial committee posts on here. The timing of the game would be at the preference of both clubs I'd imagine.

Then change clubs to suit then.

Hibbyradge
08-07-2018, 06:43 PM
No-one needs to explain why they did or didn't go to any game.

It's the other face of the ridiculous "why do all these folk want to go to cup finals, but don't turn up for ordinary league games" pish.

And yes, it's people wanting to validate themselves as better than others.

Billy Whizz
08-07-2018, 06:46 PM
What was the attendance

Hermit Crab
08-07-2018, 07:05 PM
What was the attendance

Just over 6k I believe.

Billy Whizz
08-07-2018, 07:09 PM
Just over 6k I believe.

Just read it was 6,520
Not the worst crowd in the world

BT58
08-07-2018, 07:21 PM
Couldnt make it due to health issues. I did donate to someone else to go in my stead (Hibs charity). Paul Hanlon has been a very good player for Hibs and as i couldnt go, thought it would be better for someone to attend in my place. Personally think the game would have been better been played at the end of last season. But thats my opinion
B

madhatter
08-07-2018, 07:22 PM
Just read it was 6,520
Not the worst crowd in the world

Especially since that was the sort of attendance we were getting for league matches 4-5 years ago.

Brightside
08-07-2018, 07:27 PM
Can I be honest?

That attitude is what gets on my nerve. It’s his day. He’s played 300 game for US and we shouldn’t be bothered to stay coz we’ve paid our money. He should just have ****ed off to Aberdeen coz the majority can’t be arsed.

stantonhibby
08-07-2018, 07:32 PM
Especially since that was the sort of attendance we were getting for league matches 4-5 years ago.

Yep.....shows how far we've come.

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
08-07-2018, 07:35 PM
That attitude is what gets on my nerve. It’s his day. He’s played 300 game for US and we shouldn’t be bothered to stay coz we’ve paid our money. He should just have ****ed off to Aberdeen coz the majority can’t be arsed.

Did he play all those games for free?

Are you not related to him or something? If so, surely you can see how you are hardly an objective point of view?

It was a botch job, you are right he did deserve better than Blackburn Rivers.

That crowd actually wasn't even that bad - what was the crowd for lewey last year? I seem to remember a similar crowd for Gordon Hunter too. Maybe your expectations were just wrong, skewed by your lack of objectivity?

angus hibby
08-07-2018, 07:36 PM

Was same in Famous Five. Folk leaving with 5 minutes to go.

It’s a remarkable achievement for a player to be with a club for 10 years these days and disappointing that some of our support couldn’t hang around for 5 minutes to applaud Paul on his lap of honour.

Brightside
08-07-2018, 07:40 PM
Did he play all those games for free?

Are you not related to him or something? If so, surely you can see how you are hardly an objective point of view?

It was a botch job, you are right he did deserve better than Blackburn Rivers.

That crowd actually wasn't even that bad - what was the crowd for lewey last year? I seem to remember a similar crowd for Gordon Hunter too. Maybe your expectations were just wrong, skewed by your lack of objectivity?
You are 100% correct. I wrongly expect so much more from us. Any player that stays for 10 years and has so much involvement in our history in my view deserves much more. But I agree it’s my personal view. The man is a living playing legend for us but more would be available if we played Hearts today because it’s Hearts. Nothing to do with Hibs. That’s me done.

madhatter
08-07-2018, 07:46 PM

Wow, chill out. Surely Paul is just happy that 6500 people turned up for his day and there is decent money going to charity. I have a special day every year that you could say is “my day” and I can assure you 6500 people don’t turn up and certainly don’t pay £20 a head.

Of course more could have turned up, however, less could have turned up. If Paul’s testimonial was 5 years ago, there would’ve been 2000 turning up and probably protests and abuse hurled at Petrie while the match was in play.

Paul is in the position to play 2 testimonials as he’s nowhere near retirement, that is stupid for me. Have the testimonial in the year of retirement. Many more would turn up if it were a send off rather than a pre season game labelled a testimonial.

danhibees1875
08-07-2018, 07:50 PM
Have testimonials always been on the 10 year mark?

I would have thought at the end of their time at the club/as a player, having been there for 10+ years, would have been a more likely time for one.

I'm sure everyone likes and appreciates what Hanlon has done and achieved for Hibs in his 10 years regardless of how many showed up for the pre season friendly that we decided was Hanlon's testimonial.

hfc rd
08-07-2018, 07:57 PM
Have testimonials always been on the 10 year mark?

I would have thought at the end of their time at the club/as a player, having been there for 10+ years, would have been a more likely time for one.

I'm sure everyone likes and appreciates what Hanlon has done and achieved for Hibs in his 10 years regardless of how many showed up for the pre season friendly that we decided was Hanlon's testimonial.

That’s what I thought initially as well regarding testimonials.

BegbieHSC
08-07-2018, 08:00 PM
Was same in Famous Five. Folk leaving with 5 minutes to go.

It’s a remarkable achievement for a player to be with a club for 10 years these days and disappointing that some of our support couldn’t hang around for 5 minutes to applaud Paul on his lap of honour.

As I say, I have no problem with anyone who couldn’t come through choice or any other reason. Nor do I take issue that some people HAVE to leave early. I’m just disappointed that some just didn’t fancy sticking around to give him that plaudits he deserved for a measly 5/10 minutes.

It was a flat game and atmosphere, so factors are there. Doesn’t stop my disappointment though.

SideBurns
08-07-2018, 08:22 PM
This is all a wee bit annoying, as we all knew that the ticket price, proximity to first Euro tie, and school hols were going to impact the attendance.

However, consider this: if you asked Paul Hanlon what he thought was the most important game for Hibs between today's and Thursday's, what do you reckon he would say? He'd rather, if you had to choose, that you pitched up on Thursday- of that I'm certain.

SunshineOnLeith
08-07-2018, 08:26 PM

Do you have a PO Box we can all send our excuses to and then you can decide who gets tickets for Tynecastle?

marinello59
08-07-2018, 08:28 PM
Given that it was so early in the school holidays when so many are away that was actually a decent attendance today.

madhatter
08-07-2018, 08:28 PM
This is all a wee bit annoying, as we all knew that the ticket price, proximity to first Euro tie, and school hols were going to impact the attendance.

However, consider this: if you asked Paul Hanlon what he thought was the most important game for Hibs between today's and Thursday's, what do you reckon he would say? He'd rather, if you had to choose, that you pitched up on Thursday- of that I'm certain.

Exactly, I doubt he’ll have been dot counting in the lead up to this one and was more preoccupied with the game when it started. I doubt he’ll be dot counting for Thursday either but as we all know he is a professional so will be focusing on Thursdays game above all.

I’ll be disappointed if we can’t get 10k+ on Thursday. Too many people taking it as a given and booking flights to Greece, we need to turn up on Thursday, too much arrogance going about, won’t be from Paul though.

Billy Whizz
08-07-2018, 08:30 PM

Fantastic post SideBurns, I’d agree that Paul would say this!
Hopefully be a few more Testimonial events for fans who couldn’t go today, to show their support for Paul

1two
09-07-2018, 08:39 AM

6000+ people turned up for his day, whats the problem?
I stayed for the presentation but left before his lap of honour. My only 'excuse' was i wanted to get home sharp to have dinner with the kids.
If it wasn't Pauls testimonial and just a friendly I wouldn't have been there today and I know i'm not the only one.

Demanding everyone stays for a lap of honour only loses respect for the day itself.

Exactly this. He said as much in his post match Thank You speech