PDA

View Full Version : European memories

BILLYHIBS
06-07-2018, 08:09 PM
Just to whet the appetite for the group stages of the Europa League...fingers crossed.

HIBS v LIVERPOOL 1975

https://youtu.be/C8TncVuf4-E

bringbackbenny
06-07-2018, 08:15 PM
mind Robbie Fowler stating he'd never played against a harder opponent than Davie Farrell 😀

brianmc
06-07-2018, 08:16 PM
Edit.......
If it was 1995 I'm sure I'd have been there.
(1975 I was only 3 though)

bodhibs
06-07-2018, 08:17 PM
mind Robbie Fowler stating he'd never played against a harder opponent than Davie Farrell 😀

😂

BILLYHIBS
06-07-2018, 08:17 PM
1975 mate ! Have a word.

:wink:

Skol
06-07-2018, 08:18 PM
I was there in 75, aged 9. Vague memories of a missed penalty ultimately costing us an away goals victory.

No memory of a 1995 game though

bringbackbenny
06-07-2018, 08:18 PM
1975 mate ! Have a word.

👍😀

BILLYHIBS
06-07-2018, 08:20 PM
Edit.......
If it was 1995 I'm sure I'd have been there.
(1975 I was only 3 though)
I was there mate pissed doon for 24 hours before and during game never saw any bairns that wee at the game but a night for staying in.

:thumbsup:

Skol
06-07-2018, 08:26 PM
Dont think Ive seen that footage before, great to watch. My memory of the missed pen and the end it was at was correct

Unusual to be shooting downhill first half

No memory of the rain but I was in the east terracing that night with my dad an uncles

Pretty sure before the game I was outside a pub with a bag of golden wonder and a bottle of pop while they had a beer and watched the 'go-go dancers'

IberianHibernian
06-07-2018, 08:28 PM
Was on main terracing . Wettest I can remember at any match at Holy Ground . Weather obviously affected crowd but I remember folk complaining about prices too - 4 pounds for stand perhaps . Not many Liverpool fans , some in Dunbar End . In 1970 I remember Liverpool filling half of Cave with a great atmosphere . Not seen video of that game but sure it`ll be available since I seem to remember watching highlights of Malmo and Victoria Guimaraes ( my first European match ) in earlier rounds .

BILLYHIBS
06-07-2018, 08:29 PM
I was there in 75, aged 9. Vague memories of a missed penalty ultimately costing us an away goals victory.

No memory of a 1995 game though

Yeah ! You are correct game was defo 1975 John Brownlie missed t pen don’t know why they never let fat Joe take it King Paddy mysteriously dropped for second leg I don’t think David the taxi Farrell was even born apologies to all for any confusion The HIBS go marching on!

Skol
06-07-2018, 08:31 PM
Yeah ! You are correct game was defo 1975 John Brownlie missed t pen don’t know why they never let fat Joe take it King Paddy mysteriously dropped for second leg I don’t think David the taxi Farrell was even born apologies to all for any confusion The HIBS go marching on!

Brownlie was the penalty taker in those days.

From the footage Clemence was off his line and it should have been a re-take

Cat Stanton
06-07-2018, 09:04 PM
Just to whet the appetite for the group stages of the Europa League...fingers crossed.

HIBS v LIVERPOOL 1975

It's funny - my main memory is of the world turning from dull black and white to full glorious technicolour when Hibs scored. And this proves that's actually what happened...

brog
06-07-2018, 09:05 PM

Yep, Pat had a fall out with Turnbull & was dropped. Roy Barry, who was a fine centre half, came in but Roy wasn't the biggest. Liverpool launched everything to Toshack who scored his 1st ever hat trick for Liverpool tgat night.

BILLYHIBS
06-07-2018, 09:15 PM
It's funny - my main memory is of the world turning from dull black and white to full glorious technicolour when Hibs scored. And this proves that's actually what happened...

:top marks

southsider
06-07-2018, 09:19 PM
Was too young to go to Barca or Naples games but Sporting Club due Portugal game at ER. 6-1, we were sensational'

CLASS OF 72 -73
06-07-2018, 09:36 PM

HIBS v LIVERPOOL 1975

Was there and sixteen. Ian Callaghan now drinks in my local :)

BILLYHIBS
06-07-2018, 10:58 PM
Tell him he might have made it into Turnbulls Tornadoes but only as a sub for Arthur. We were that good !

BILLYHIBS
06-07-2018, 11:05 PM
Guys, please add your own vids or memories in the build up to Thursdays return to Europe.Back where we belong.

GGTTH

:flag:

FitzAlan
06-07-2018, 11:17 PM
Yep, Pat had a fall out with Turnbull & was dropped. Roy Barry, who was a fine centre half, came in but Roy wasn't the biggest. Liverpool launched everything to Toshack who scored his 1st ever hat trick for Liverpool tgat night.

Eh, no. Roy Barry was an extremely limited, thuggish and unsophisticated centre half, as evidenced during both his spell at Hearts and in his time at Hibs.

DickieDastardly
06-07-2018, 11:18 PM
Videoton away 0-3 1989, I have two spools of photos from that trip (understand that one youngsters), wish I could upload some to here....

“goulash goulash goulash goulash” etc etc

Hi Heid Yin
06-07-2018, 11:18 PM
Wow!
The talent on display for both sides was incredible.

Hibbyradge
06-07-2018, 11:57 PM
Videoton away 0-3 1989, I have two spools of photos from that trip (understand that one youngsters), wish I could upload some to here....

“goulash goulash goulash goulash” etc etc

Great trip.

Lager 11% proof :faf:

kaimendhibs
07-07-2018, 12:13 AM

HIBS v LIVERPOOL 1975

https://youtu.be/C8TncVuf4-EI was there 12 years old

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

Scouse Hibee
07-07-2018, 11:15 AM

Ask him if he still has his World Cup Winners medal.

pollution
07-07-2018, 11:26 AM
I was there too. Only 19000 at the game, the rain was absolutely incessant.

WoreTheGreen
07-07-2018, 11:38 AM
I was there 12 years old

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

Me too a special night under the floodlights

oldbutdim
07-07-2018, 11:49 AM
I bought a car for £95 and drove down to Liverpool. Their fans were animals.

Girls in the nightclubs afterwards were much friendlier and mostly better looking.

weecounty hibby
07-07-2018, 11:55 AM
Videoton away. Wasn't actually there but a group of us went round to Spike Mandela's flat and listened on the radio. Went out for a few beers in Alloa after to celebrate, all with our scarves on 😀. Went to Liege and Anderlecht away trips. Both superb. Especially Anderlecht. The Grand Place in Brussels was a suburb place to go drinking before a game. We ended up in a police social club after the game for late night drinking. So many stories to tell about that trip

Bobo
07-07-2018, 11:55 AM

I was at the game, as a 12 year old, and one of my biggest memories is of all the camera flashes when Harper scored and turned away to celebrate. I still have the programmes and tickets from both the home and away games, seems a lifetime ago now.

We had a great team and more than matched an excellent Liverpool team at the time, we were really unlucky not to go through. Makes me sad to see how much the financial imbalance of other European leagues has killed off fair competition.

weecounty hibby
07-07-2018, 11:57 AM
Just remembered that the night before the game against Anderlecht we took a wrong turn😉 and ended up in the red light area. We bumped into Dougie Crombe and other members of the board. They had obviously taken a wrong turn too!

superfurryhibby
07-07-2018, 12:32 PM
1st European game was v Sporting Lisbon, not a bad start to watching Hibs in Europe. I also went to the games v Fc Besa and Hadjuk Split. Wonderful time to be a ten year old Hibee.

brog
07-07-2018, 12:35 PM
I was there too. Only 19000 at the game, the rain was absolutely incessant.

Eh, no. Roy Barry was an extremely limited, thuggish and unsophisticated centre half, as evidenced during both his spell at Hearts and in his time at Hibs.

I'm gonna tell him you said that! :wink:

CropleyisGod
08-07-2018, 03:36 AM
I was in the Shed with my dad and uncle. Our seats weren’t in the covered bit so we got soaked. Remember Harper’s goal like it was yesterday. Had no idea that Keegan was in the Liverpool team. I guess I only had eyes for Hibs!

Killiehibbie
08-07-2018, 05:08 AM
Liege away got lost after the game and walked for hours. Got on a train to Ostend about 8am with no ticket, passport or idea how I was getting on ferry.

Earlydelivery
08-07-2018, 07:48 AM
For sheer footballing memories... it has to be the home tie vs Sporting Lisbon... very unlucky not to win the CWC

BILLYHIBS
09-07-2018, 11:42 AM
Leeds 0 v 0 HIBS 1973

https://youtu.be/b2vE-UFTKGs

Leeds had a very good tough team at that time managed by Don Revie. I remember David Coleman on Sportsnight raving about the new phenomenon Jim Cilla Black an overlapping centre half.It was just a shame our best chances fell to Big Tony Higgins. Leeds qualified for the next round following a penalty shoot out and a virtuoso performance from Billy Bremner at ER.

BILLYHIBS
09-07-2018, 11:58 AM
HIBS 2 v 4 Juventus 4 1974

https://youtu.be/CdG49nTw0dl

Hibs actually led 2-1 in this game but Juventus brought on Jose Altafini an ageing Brazilian forward who a few years earlier had been left at home by a confident Napoli side for a second leg at ER he had pace to burn and ended up scoring two and having one assist. I remember Alan Gordon telling the story that in the second leg in which we lost 0-4 Claudio Gentile would pull the hairs out of the backs of his legs when the ball was up the other end of the park.

BILLYHIBS
09-07-2018, 12:06 PM
HIBS 1 v 0 Sochaux 1976/77

https://youtu.be/OGFMIGM5Ktl

black and white footage goal scored by Brownlie great to see Bobby Smith and Arthur again.

Jamesie
09-07-2018, 12:08 PM
Just remembered that the night before the game against Anderlecht we took a wrong turn😉 and ended up in the red light area. We bumped into Dougie Crombe and other members of the board. They had obviously taken a wrong turn too!

Might have been Anderlecht (or maybe Liege) that I remember Dougie himself doing a shift in the old ticket office / shop on Easter Road (which for younger reads was more or less where "Happy Rice" is just before turning into Albion Road).

A few memories of away days / nights for me:

- A week on Aegina for the game that never was v AEK in 2001 - I'll still never forget the eerie silence as we walked back from the beach to the usually bustling and noisy main street of the town to find that 9/11 had occurred (long before the days of big data allowances on mobile phones
- Travelling around the Ukraine for the best part of five days - Odessa, Simferopol, Sevastopol, Yalta - before taking an overnight bus to Dnipro to meet up with the boys
- A night out in Norkopping before the most ridiculous, convoluted, four-change train journey from Norkopping to Boras for the Elfsborg game, only to be picked up by the Police at Boras station and dropped off at the main boozer int the main square while being constantly quizzed about any association with hooliganism that we might have!

Good times and really hoping for similar memories in Tripoli this summer (couldn't get time off for the Faroes)!

FitzAlan
09-07-2018, 01:00 PM
I'm gonna tell him you said that! :wink:

It was the considered opinion of one who played both with and against him, in direct positional opposition, rather than my own. I'm a little too young to have developed my own assessment. Wouldn't wish to hurt his feelings though!

Returning to the topic in hand, my first European night, and indeed the first game of any kind I remember attending, was the Juventus game. I was six and a half years old!

HUTCHYHIBBY
09-07-2018, 02:22 PM
I'll have to censor this a bit! We shared a cabin with 2 Ukrainian guys on the overnight train from Kiev-Dnipro, it soon became apparent the female guard on our carriage supplemented her income by carrying out "extra services", when one of the local guys returned to our cabin I went to purchase a few beers from her only to be greeted with the sight of her little daughter playing away in her cabin. I often wonder how life turned out for the wee girl.

IberianHibernian
09-07-2018, 09:24 PM
HIBS 2 v 4 Juventus 4 1974

https://youtu.be/CdG49nTw0dl

Hibs actually led 2-1 in this game but Juventus brought on Jose Altafini an ageing Brazilian forward who a few years earlier had been left at home by a confident Napoli side for a second leg at ER he had pace to burn and ended up scoring two and having one assist. I remember Alan Gordon telling the story that in the second leg in which we lost 0-4 Claudio Gentile would pull the hairs out of the backs of his legs when the ball was up the other end of the park.Think we were losing 0 v 1 then scored 2 quickly and almost a third before roof fell in . One of my main memories is waiting in queue to buy stand tickets about a week before the game . There were quite a lot of Italians ( based in Scotland I think ) at the front of the queue , it was massive for them to see La Juve . Was that our biggest home crowd in Europe ? About 30 000 at first Liverpool game , slightly less v Hadjuk Split not sure about Leeds games or Naples .

BILLYHIBS
09-07-2018, 09:37 PM
Think we were losing 0 v 1 then scored 2 quickly and almost a third before roof fell in . One of my main memories is waiting in queue to buy stand tickets about a week before the game . There were quite a lot of Italians ( based in Scotland I think ) at the front of the queue , it was massive for them to see La Juve . Was that our biggest home crowd in Europe ? About 30 000 at first Liverpool game , slightly less v Hadjuk Split not sure about Leeds games or Naples .
Leeds 1968 40000 My first game Colin Stein scored first minute with a lob over Gary Sprake then Willie Wilson took five steps and Jack the giraffe neck Charlton scored from the resulting free kick while standing on the goal line to eliminate HIBS on aggregate.

ancient hibee
09-07-2018, 09:41 PM
Think Barcelona was about 44000.

trev the hat
09-07-2018, 10:05 PM
https://www.eveningtelegraph.co.uk/fp/blether-future-vision-saw-hibs-let-loose-famous-five-on-european-cup/

BILLYHIBS
09-07-2018, 10:19 PM
https://www.eveningtelegraph.co.uk/fp/blether-future-vision-saw-hibs-let-loose-famous-five-on-european-cup/
Enjoyed that ! Tells it how it was! :thumbsup:

jgl07
10-07-2018, 12:51 PM
Might have been Anderlecht (or maybe Liege) that I remember Dougie himself doing a shift in the old ticket office / shop on Easter Road (which for younger reads was more or less where "Happy Rice" is just before turning into Albion Road).

Dougie certainly worked in the ticket office for the League Cup final at Parkhead against Rangers.

I joined the queue somewhere around the Church on Albion Place at around 10:00. It moved very slowly. Mid afternoon a women in the queue to pick her kids up from school and cook their tea before rejoining us an hour or so later. We were almost onto Easter Road when the ticket office staff knocked off for the evening at around 5:30. Dougie and and the directors took over in the office. I think it was half pat seven before I finally got away clutching two tickets for the final.

Mick O'Rourke
10-07-2018, 01:15 PM
For sheer footballing memories... it has to be the home tie vs Sporting Lisbon... very unlucky not to win the CWC

Totally agree
In my opinion,the best opportunity of any Hibernian team to win a European trophy.
They were that good,folks !!
I remember fans talking about/part planning going to the final the way people are now doing about the upcoming Euro tie/s
IIRC the Cup Winners Cup Final final was in Greece that year.
Not a bad/difficult journey for fans,even back then.

Sadly,getting knocked out eventually led to the premature demise of The Tornadoes.
In hindsight,a very bad move on Neds part of course.
As he himself acknowledged in later years.

que sera sera:boo hoo:

BILLYHIBS
10-07-2018, 01:23 PM
Totally agree
In my opinion,the best opportunity of any Hibernian team to win a European trophy.
I remember fans talking about/part planning going to the final the way people are now doing about the upcoming Euro tie/s
Not a bad/difficult journey for fans,evern back then.

Sadly getting knocked out eventually led to the premature demise of The Tornadoes.
I can still remember Big Frank and Eddie Campbell singing Oh Salonika here we come !
Ultimately a disaster in Croatia in the second leg against Split Big Jim Herriot a let a couple fly over his head and I think a Blackley og It was the beginning of the end and I don’t think Herriot ever played again for HIBS!

HUTCHYHIBBY
10-07-2018, 01:58 PM
I'll have to censor this a bit! We shared a cabin with 2 Ukrainian guys on the overnight train from Kiev-Dnipro, it soon became apparent the female guard on our carriage supplemented her income by carrying out "extra services", when one of the local guys returned to our cabin I went to purchase a few beers from her only to be greeted with the sight of her little daughter playing away in her cabin. I often wonder how life turned out for the wee girl.

Just to lighten the mood a bit, the woman that worked in the buffet car that couldn't speak English but, sang Beatles songs in perfect scouse was funny.

The Pointer
10-07-2018, 04:29 PM
I was at the 1975 game but can't remember who I went along with. It was indeed pouring and I managed to cram into the Cave where there were all sorts of big surges throughout the game.

It was after that game that Hibbies started singing the H..i..b..e..r..n..i..a..n Hibernian, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na! chant as the Liverpool fans were chanting L..i..v..e..r..p..double oh ell, Liverpool F. C....etc!

(Why did I bother?)

BILLYHIBS
10-07-2018, 04:34 PM
I was at the 1975 game but can't remember who I went along with. It was indeed pouring and I managed to cram into the Cave where there were all sorts of big surges throughout the game.

It was after that game that Hibbies started singing the H..i..b..e..r..n..i..a..n Hibernian, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na! chant as the Liverpool fans were chanting L..i..v..e..r..p..double oh ell, Liverpool F. C....etc!

(Why did I bother?)
What no walk on? Even the HIBS fans were singing walk on before SoL. Then again it was pissing down!

GGTTH

Gmack7
10-07-2018, 04:38 PM
Great trip.

Lager 11% proof :faf:
you could barely give your money away it was that cheap.supeeb trip .well the bits i can remember were 👍

BILLYHIBS
11-07-2018, 09:49 AM
HIBS 2 v 0 Real Madrid Challenge Match 1964

https://youtu.be/meAVIQu51YM

BILLYHIBS
11-07-2018, 10:13 AM
Videoton 0 v 3 HIBS 1989/99

https://youtu.be/TlWVVXnnmPY

IberianHibernian
11-07-2018, 10:28 AM

(Why did I bother?)Song and atmosphere in Cave was 1970 match . Cave was seated by 1975 when Liverpool fans ( not many anyway ) were in Dunbar End. Monsoon was in 1975 .

BILLYHIBS
11-07-2018, 10:47 AM
Song and atmosphere in Cave was 1970 match . Cave was seated by 1975 when Liverpool fans ( not many anyway ) were in Dunbar End. Monsoon was in 1975 .
Sounds about right. The match was a major disappointment in that it was spoilt in my eyes by Tom Hart telling Willie Macdarlane to drop our top scorer Joe McBride for the game he of course refused enter Dave Ewing who would later say the immortal lines “Rangers are rubbish! “

HUTCHYHIBBY
11-07-2018, 11:30 AM

On a similar note, about 10 of us watched most of the 2006 WCF in a knocking shop in Riga on the way home from Daugavpils, that was a tad bizarre, HT entertainment was good though. :-)

ancient hibee
11-07-2018, 11:42 AM
Sounds about right. The match was a major disappointment in that it was spoilt in my eyes by Tom Hart telling Willie Macdarlane to drop our top scorer Joe McBride for the game he of course refused enter Dave Ewing who would later say the immortal lines “Rangers are rubbish! “

It had the fortunate result of leading to Turnbull coming in but Macfarlane was a good manager with the right ideas on how to play and it would have been interesting to see how Hibs would have developed.

superfurryhibby
11-07-2018, 11:53 AM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yuR8iJ1ZjYU

There isn’t much of our European adventures on you tube but this one also jogged the memory banks.
A line up with Pat Carroll, Willie Temperley and Willie Murray in it, as well as Jackie Mac, Arthur Duncan .

BILLYHIBS
11-07-2018, 12:11 PM

There isn’t much of our European adventures on you tube but this one also jogged the memory banks.
A line up with Pat Carroll, Willie Temperley and Willie Murray in it, as well as Jackie Mac, Arthur Duncan .
Willie Murray ! That’s a blast from the past! Good player but my heart used to sink when the PA guy would announce George Best has a virus today so No 7 will be WILLIE MURRAY ! to the sound of quiet mumbling from the crowd especially in that Sunday Scottish Cup tie versus Ayr Utd when the French Rugby team were in town. :wink:

SteveHFC
12-07-2018, 01:14 AM
Malmo was a good trip despite the result.

12-07-2018, 07:54 AM
Hibs v Hamburg. The Hamburg goalie had a green jersey on which caused all sorts of problems. I’m sure Joe Davis missed a penalty and we were down the slope for the first half. Standing at the Dunbar end when the final whistle went and waiting for the teams to come out for extra time.Went out on away goals and think the ref wasn’t to sure what was going on.

NthCarolinaHibs
12-07-2018, 08:20 AM
Hibs v Hamburg. The Hamburg goalie had a green jersey on which caused all sorts of problems. I’m sure Joe Davis missed a penalty and we were down the slope for the first half. Standing at the Dunbar end when the final whistle went and waiting for the teams to come out for extra time.Went out on away goals and think the ref wasn’t to sure what was going on.
Mind being at that game,as a laddie..one of the first games where the away goals rule came into being,I'm sure...no one quite understood the drill....

BILLYHIBS
12-07-2018, 09:05 AM
Joe McBride had two goals wrongly ruled out for offside where is VAR when you need it ?

Hamburg had Uwe Seeler West German World Cup legend playing upfront who I think may have scored the decisive away goal. :confused:

BILLYHIBS
18-07-2018, 04:25 PM
HIBS 4 v 2 Hadjuk Split ECWC QF 1973

Last European hatrick before the mighty Flo.

https://youtu.be/fsJoPmTO08M

hfc rd
18-07-2018, 04:37 PM
My first ever Hibs European game was against AEK Athens. Just simply what a night! Never seen Easter Road as loud as that for a long time. Atmosphere was simply electric! Amazing experience! I hope we get an atmosphere similar to when we play Asteras Tripolis next week.

Earlydelivery
18-07-2018, 04:40 PM

That team should have won the CWC

HIBERNIAN-0762
18-07-2018, 05:56 PM

Wonderful memories of that game, such a brilliant team, from memory we were beaten by a John Blackley mistake to go out 5-4 on aggregate, I also remember Jim Herriot being blamed by Turnbull for losing the goals as well, he was in the reserve taem the following Saturday.

bigwheel
18-07-2018, 05:58 PM
Wonderful memories of that game, such a brilliant team, from memory we were beaten by a John Blackley mistake to go out 5-4 on aggregate, I also remember Jim Herriot being blamed by Turnbull for losing the goals as well, he was in the reserve taem the following Saturday.

early memories there...beautiful top too!

eastterrace
18-07-2018, 08:54 PM
Totally agree
Not a bad/difficult journey for fans,even back then.

Sadly,getting knocked out eventually led to the premature demise of The Tornadoes.
In hindsight,a very bad move on Neds part of course.
As he himself acknowledged in later years.

que sera sera:boo hoo:

Yes also was planning to go to Greece for the final. Think it was 40pound flight there and back then but maybe memory a bit cloudy but we really should have reached the final

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GORDONSMITH7
19-07-2018, 01:11 AM
My father Billy McKinley took me to the Barca game in 1961. In December 1968 or there abouts as a 14 year auld skipped school with a mate Peter Traynor RIP, in Musselburgh to see the Cabbage in the first game against Leeds. Colin Stein was carted off. 1-0 Leeds. Our fans rep Frank was on the bus. Happy days.

BIG G

Halmyre Hibee
19-07-2018, 02:26 AM
My first European night was Malmo in 1970 6-0 win and my only time abroad was Videoton in 1989 3-0 win.

That was some trip staying at Hotel Touring in Agard, Hungary. The cheapest drink ever and still laughing at the Goulash song from earlier posts.

Border guards with guns had obviously met a few Hibbys before our bus crossed into Hungary and were shouting "**** the Hertz" to us.

Bus from Hibs club to Gatwick then plane to Vienna then bus to Hungary and then the same back.

One of my mates took pictures but forgot to load the film / spool into his camera so no photos just great memories.

superfurryhibby
19-07-2018, 07:55 AM
That team should have won the CWC

They would have had to beat Leeds in the semi and AC Milan in the final.

BILLYHIBS
19-07-2018, 08:24 AM
They would have had to beat Leeds in the semi and AC Milan in the final.
Doddle for Turnbulls Tornadoes! The best brand of football the worlds ever seen!

Oh! Salonica here we come!

BILLYHIBS
19-07-2018, 09:42 AM
HIBS 0 v 0 Dnipro 2005

https://youtu.be/zWUrX5juNgs

TelaStella
19-07-2018, 12:12 PM
HIBS 0 v 0 Dnipro 2005

Some atmosphere that night

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CLASS OF 72 -73
19-07-2018, 02:36 PM
Ask him if he still has his World Cup Winners medal.

He only got it a few years back in 2007 I believe.

BILLYHIBS
21-07-2018, 03:22 AM
Some atmosphere that night

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yip brilliant atmosphere almost as good as AEK. Great to see a few well kent faces. It was one of Michael Stewart’s first games for HIBS always wondered if he is a jambo or a Hibby? On TV he seems to hate Potter so seems to be swinging towards total football rather than big punt!

Our fans have done a lot to help the people/ children of Dnipro over the years a big thank you to everyone involved. Brilliant work!

blackpoolhibs
21-07-2018, 09:18 AM

I loved and still do love that top, my favourite strip ever. :top marks

We really were a joy to watch in those days, i can only imagine what those who saw the famous five thought about that team and winning leagues.

Colr
21-07-2018, 09:53 AM

I was at that. Don’t remember a thing about it though!!

I see Arthur Montford confirming that we are “the big team”!!

BILLYHIBS
24-07-2018, 10:55 AM
HIBS 0 v 0 FC Liege 1989

https://youtu.be/Po6ELDvMFfk

JohnMcM
24-07-2018, 02:16 PM
Surprised no-one has mentioned the comeback against Napoli at ER. The night that made many so called experts eat their words.

Diclonius
24-07-2018, 02:20 PM
I can remember my finest Hibs European memory as if it were only a couple weeks ago. We beat some Faroese team 6-1 I think.

Only European win I've seen.. :wink:

Liam6270
24-07-2018, 02:35 PM
Does Berwick count?

Bangkok Hibby
24-07-2018, 03:45 PM
A cold November night 1967...Hibs 5 Napoli 0. My first European game and my first game under floodlights. For a wee 10 year old laddie it was an experience never to forget.

BILLYHIBS
24-07-2018, 04:24 PM
Surprised no-one has mentioned the comeback against Napoli at ER. The night that made many so called experts eat their words.
Shout! Bangkok Hibby was there! My first game was Leeds Utd Fairs Cities Cup 1968 Just a babe :wink:

Bangkok Hibby
24-07-2018, 04:31 PM
Shout! Bangkok Hibby was there! My first game was Leeds Utd Fairs Cities Cup 1968 Just a babe :wink:

The Leeds game was the next round after Napoli. First leg some time in December then second leg January 1968. We went out 2-1

BOB MARLEYS DUG
24-07-2018, 07:23 PM
HIBS 0 v 0 Dnipro 2005

My first European game! Think thats the loudest ER has been that I can remember. Away stand was packed with Hibs fans and Dnipro fans were based in the West as there was hust a handful of them IIRC.

Grant Stott was on the tannoy before the game, getting the fans going also I think.

BILLYHIBS
24-07-2018, 07:30 PM
The Leeds game was the next round after Napoli. First leg some time in December then second leg January 1968. We went out 2-1
Dont remind me Willie Wilson took five steps and Clive Thomas penalised him and Jack the giraffe neck Charlton equalised putting us out on aggregate.😬

BILLYHIBS
24-07-2018, 07:33 PM
My first European game! Think thats the loudest ER has been that I can remember. Away stand was packed with Hibs fans and Dnipro fans were based in the West as there was hust a handful of them IIRC.

Grant Stott was on the tannoy before the game, getting the fans going also I think.
They should get the Big Hibby back to stoke up the fans as he is currently a free agent

Bishop Hibee
24-07-2018, 07:36 PM
Tony Higgins diving header down the slope v Norkopping for a 3-2 win.

bringbackbenny
24-07-2018, 07:42 PM

My first European game! That and the Strasbourg game are my only memories of the old terrace.

Skol
24-07-2018, 08:12 PM
Did willie temperley not score a couple ?

I remember Norrkoping and Strasbourg. The hilarity when the team was announced with Dominique Dropsy in goals.

I was also at Oesters and Liverpool the season before

Skol
24-07-2018, 08:22 PM
Found the footage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuR8iJ1ZjYU

2 for higgins and one for Temperley. Wasnt a diving header from Higgins. Classic Montford commentary, The first Norrkoping Goal was dramatic. A sensation.

Bishop Hibee
24-07-2018, 08:29 PM
Brilliant highlights. Funny how The memory plays tricks but st least I remembered it was Higgins who scored!

Skol
24-07-2018, 08:42 PM
Indeed, turns out it was Oesters and Sochaux the year before with Liverpool the year before that/

Looking back other than Malmo when I was abroad on holiday I have seen every home european tie since 1975. I picked a good one to miss

BOB MARLEYS DUG
24-07-2018, 08:48 PM
Who remembers when we played Odense in the Intertoto cup?

blackpoolhibs
24-07-2018, 08:55 PM
Leeds away when we drew 0-0 was a match we might have won, i hardly remember much about the day apart from a fair bit of trouble, and i think Tony Higgins missing a clear header in the 6 yard box to win us the game.

BILLYHIBS
24-07-2018, 09:26 PM
Leeds away when we drew 0-0 was a match we might have won, i hardly remember much about the day apart from a fair bit of trouble, and i think Tony Higgins missing a clear header in the 6 yard box to win us the game.
Yeah I remember David Coleman raving about this new phenomenon Big Jim Cilla Black The overlapping centre half as he set off on one of his mazy runs up the park :wink:

blackpoolhibs
24-07-2018, 09:30 PM
Yeah I remember David Coleman raving about this new phenomenon Big Jim Cilla Black The overlapping centre half as he set off on one of his mazy runs up the park :wink:

:greengrin A decent centre half, but i wish Turnbull had spent the money replacing him and another keeper rather than breaking up the forward line by bringing in Harper, christ i'm sure we had near a hundred goals from that team, it hardly needed improving. :boo hoo:

bigwheel
24-07-2018, 09:35 PM
:greengrin A decent centre half, but i wish Turnbull had spent the money replacing him and another keeper rather than breaking up the forward line by bringing in Harper, christ i'm sure we had near a hundred goals from that team, it hardly needed improving. :boo hoo:

i was young at the time . 5-6 year old in the early 70's - but watched that team each week...for those that bit older..was Herriot viewed as not that great? I loved him as a kid..mud under the eyes...no gloves....magic!!

ps still get excited thinking about the walk up the stairs to the top of the terracing..and the smell of liniment on a floodlit evening game.... brilliant!

BILLYHIBS
24-07-2018, 09:38 PM
i was young at the time . 5-6 year old in the early 70's - but watched that team each week...for those that bit older..was Herriot viewed as not that great? I loved him as a kid..mud under the eyes...no gloves....magic!!
Great until Hadjuk Split away lost a couple of high balls to the back post not helped by a John Blackley own goal. He never played for us again!

blackpoolhibs
24-07-2018, 09:40 PM

He was ok, he did play behind a fantastic side who were always an injury or suspension away from being seriously weakened.

Herriot and Jim Black were good players in their own right, but at the time as a kid even i could see what my dad would say regularly, that a very good centre half and another better keeper, and we really could have won some serious trophies, and when you consider just how good celtic were, thats no mean statement.

bigwheel
24-07-2018, 09:41 PM
Great until Hadjuk Split away lost a couple of high balls to the back post not helped by a John Blackley own goal. He never played for us again!

hadn't remembered that detail...cheers...was it McArthur that replaced him at that time?

bigwheel
24-07-2018, 09:43 PM
He was ok, he did play behind a fantastic side who were always an injury or suspension away from being seriously weakened.

Herriot and Jim Black were good players in their own right, but at the time as a kid even i could see what my dad would say regularly, that a very good centre half and another better keeper, and we really could have won some serious trophies, and when you consider just how good celtic were, thats no mean statement.

you're breaking up the Tornado's man! :greengrin:wink:

BILLYHIBS
24-07-2018, 09:46 PM

Big George Stewart would have come to us in a heartbeat not sure if he was the required quality but his commitment is without question a hibee through and through. Herriots replacement ended up being Jim McArthur a position he fell into at school to me he was capable but a bit small for a goalie not a Leighton or Goram.

blackpoolhibs
24-07-2018, 09:46 PM

What a team, i remember going home and away every week thinking how many will we score today. :greengrin

Broken up way too early, and as much as Harper scored lots of goals for us, i'm not sure if we needed to recoup some of it which resulted in players leaving?

ancient hibee
24-07-2018, 09:47 PM

Should have signed George Stewart who was desperate to come but had to wait a few years and was certainly the second best centre half I’ve seen in a Hibs jersey.

blackpoolhibs
24-07-2018, 09:48 PM
Should have signed George Stewart who was desperate to come but had to wait a few years and was certainly the second best centre half I’ve seen in a Hibs jersey.

Aye he was a superb player for us, with the added bonus he hated the herts. :greengrin

BILLYHIBS
24-07-2018, 09:49 PM
Nooooo ! Don’t do iiiiitttt!!:boo hoo:

superfurryhibby
24-07-2018, 10:07 PM

That has shaken me up a bit. I’ve never seen any footage of this before. No memory of all green sleeves on the top either. I was only 9 at the time, went with the laddies from Elbe St, Leith. My memort of the game is sketchy, but seem to remember we were in front and they pulled it back to 3-2, then we scored a late 4th.

BILLYHIBS
24-07-2018, 10:18 PM
What a team, i remember going home and away every week thinking how many will we score today. :greengrin

Broken up way too early, and as much as Harper scored lots of goals for us, i'm not sure if we needed to recoup some of it which resulted in players leaving?
It was like watching a game of chess the beautiful game as it should be played. Herriot would roll the ball to Brownlie he would give it to Stanton who would give it to Edwards who would cross the ball into Gordon who would nod it down to wee Jimmy everyone knows his name 1-0 Same down the left. If the move broke down they would simply start again. A green machine the best brand of football the worlds ever seen!

SteveHFC
24-07-2018, 11:40 PM
The AEK home game had one of the most loudest atmospheres i've ever seen.

if only Luna scored that header in the last minute.

DetroitHibs
25-07-2018, 04:11 AM

Still never felt an atmosphere like that at ER. The roof would have come off had that went in.

blackpoolhibs
25-07-2018, 05:42 AM

A wonderful atmosphere, but for me The Sporting Lisbon game was the best i've experienced, better than Leeds or Liverpool.

Certainly the loudest i can remember. :greengrin

BILLYHIBS
25-07-2018, 06:19 AM
A wonderful atmosphere, but for me The Sporting Lisbon game was the best i've experienced, better than Leeds or Liverpool.

Certainly the loudest i can remember. :greengrin
Second half down the slope no team on the planet would have lived with Turnbulls Tornadoes that night.Absolutely vintage HIBS. I remember at the start of the second half Duncan and Edwards swapped wings.

snooky
25-07-2018, 10:06 AM
Second half down the slope no team on the planet would have lived with Turnbulls Tornadoes that night.Absolutely vintage HIBS. I remember at the start of the second half Duncan and Edwards swapped wings.

Aye, gone are those days when we went to ER not wondering if we were going to win. Instead we all were wondering by how much.

snooky
25-07-2018, 10:10 AM

This, 100%.
We were so close to being the perfect team.

BILLYHIBS
26-07-2018, 02:25 PM
Faroe Islands Trip

https://youtu.be/D2mH1d_TwJM

BILLYHIBS
27-07-2018, 01:10 PM
Asteras Home Video

https://youtu.be/8Rda1PnMsdg