PDA

View Full Version : Effe in the midfield

FifeHibs
03-07-2018, 11:06 AM
Just a thought but maybe Efe will be deployed in the midfield short term where he started his career. Speed, tackling and passing ability.

Ryan Porteous Improved at Ibrox he is more than capable of holding his own in the first team.

Stuart93
03-07-2018, 11:07 AM
It's efe

I'd rather we just played players in their natural positions and if we're light somewhere recruit accordingly

we are hibs
03-07-2018, 11:18 AM
No offence but hibs fans seem to have an obsession with playing players in different positions. People have wanted Hanlon, Stevenson(who's played there before but is better suited to left bavk) and Efe in midfield. Hanlon was tried in the midfield role and toiled as we lost 6-2 to the huns and efe is far too laidback to play there imo

Iain G
03-07-2018, 11:18 AM
No offence but hibs fans seem to have an obsession with playing players in different positions. People have wanted Hanlon, Stevenson(who's played there before but is better suited to left bavk) and Efe in midfield. Hanlon was tried in the midfield role and toiled as we lost 6-2 to the huns and efe is fat too laidback to play there imo

We don't want to Efe up the midfield balance do we?! :greengrin

Viva_Palmeiras
03-07-2018, 11:22 AM
No offence but hibs fans seem to have an obsession with playing players in different positions. People have wanted Hanlon, Stevenson(who's played there before but is better suited to left bavk) and Efe in midfield. Hanlon was tried in the midfield role and toiled as we lost 6-2 to the huns and efe is far too laidback to play there imo

Well you can put that to a few of our managers too.
Alex Miller being the biggest advocate.

greenlex
03-07-2018, 11:36 AM

Harsh. It’s suggested as a short term answer if we were to lose McGinn and not get Allan early enough. What would you do in that situation?

BegbieHSC
03-07-2018, 11:42 AM
Nope. Fairly sure he played there for Celtic at some point, and ****ed up massively. I actually think playing in the midfield is what started the 'There's no need to be upset" memes.

You lose the ball at CB, you'll generally have the CM, and other CB giving a bit of protection. You **** up in the middle of the field, whilst on the attack, you're ****ed! Efe, as outstanding as he is, when he's dribbling and advancing up the park he's either sublime, or a disaster.

Chic Murray
03-07-2018, 11:50 AM
I would love to see him there. I actually think he could play any position, albeit with inevitable Efe Moments

GreenNWhiteArmy
03-07-2018, 11:51 AM
Harsh. It’s suggested as a short term answer if we were to lose McGinn and not get Allan early enough. What would you do in that situation?

Play Bartley alongside Sliv & Swanson

Leave Efe in a back 3 IMO

greenlex
03-07-2018, 11:51 AM
Nope. Fairly sure he played there for Celtic at some point, and ****ed up massively. I actually think playing in the midfield is what started the 'There's no need to be upset" memes.

You lose the ball at CB, you'll generally have the CM, and other CB giving a bit of protection. You **** up in the middle of the field, whilst on the attack, you're ****ed! Efe, as outstanding as he is, when he's dribbling and advancing up the park he's either sublime, or a disaster.
Cannot disagree with the second paragraph enough.

BegbieHSC
03-07-2018, 12:02 PM
Cannot disagree with the second paragraph enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzbP3QSOQwQ

calumhibee1
03-07-2018, 12:07 PM

You lose the ball as a CB and you have the CM to protect you?

TonyStokeprano
03-07-2018, 12:10 PM

That proves nothing lol hes basically the furthest player back when he slips, a centre half could do that aswell ??

danhibees1875
03-07-2018, 12:10 PM

I doubted you, but that's pretty conclusive evidence that a CM is always the furthest person back with no cover. :agree:

BegbieHSC
03-07-2018, 12:15 PM
IMO, it's to do with angles. A defender tends to be angling towards one end of the pitch, thus allowing the CM time to get back and provide the cover. DCM is likely to be slap bang in the middle of the park (like Gerard.), and tends to be in a position where real momentum is with the attacker, due to the space given.

Just my opinion,

ancient hibee
03-07-2018, 12:28 PM
Biggest mistake in football is to change two parts of the team when you only need to change one.

BILLYHIBS
03-07-2018, 12:39 PM

Eh? Lose the ball at CB generally end up losing a goal!

Centre Hawf
03-07-2018, 12:42 PM

Eh?

BegbieHSC
03-07-2018, 12:51 PM
Eh?

When Efe is advancing as a defender, it tends to be from the right. Our other players are in the centre, giving a bit of cover, in the event that one of the opposition gain possession from him. It's easier to score from the centre, but with other players in the centre of the park, they can help block the opposition getting in a more central, easier scoring position.

Lose the ball in the middle of the park as a deep lying midfielder, players will likely have to defend coming in from wider positions, where a tackle is absolutely crucial, as opposed to just obstructing passage to a central position, preventing an easier scoring opportunity.

That's the theory behind it.

BILLYHIBS
03-07-2018, 01:06 PM
Efe Ambrose has been one of our most consistent and outstanding performers and indeed has done little wrong since joining us from Celtic.I am pleased that other posters have alluded to Efe moments as I remember being roundly slagged on these threads for even daring to mention them last season.It appears to be a quirk of Efes game and thankfully although we have come to expect them every now and then they do not happen that often.I am with Ancient Hibby on this one and feel we should leave Efe where he is as hopefully when the window closes we will have more than enough cover.

WeeRussell
03-07-2018, 01:20 PM
I didn’t think Hanlon was ever suited to moving further up and I think Efe would be even less so.

If it comes to it, I’ll fill-in in midfield and we can let the defenders defend :)

BILLYHIBS
03-07-2018, 01:23 PM
I didn’t think Hanlon was ever suited to moving further up and I think Efe would be even less so.

If it comes to it, I’ll fill-in in midfield and we can let the defenders defend :)
Are you the legend that is Latapy?

:not worth

WeeRussell
03-07-2018, 01:26 PM
Are you the legend that is Latapy?

:not worth

I couldn’t possibly comment. Other than an ageing (likely still smoking and drinking) Latapy would do a better job than I right now.

we are hibs
03-07-2018, 01:30 PM

Don't we have midfielders in the development side? I don't see why we would play a centre back in midfield when we have natural midfielders at the club

jacomo
03-07-2018, 03:39 PM

Lewis started as a midfielder.

If we’d never tried him in another position, it’s unlikely he would still be at Hibs.

Billy Whizz
03-07-2018, 03:44 PM
Lewis started as a midfielder.

If we’d never tried him in another position, it’s unlikely he would still be at Hibs.

And so did Paul Hanlon, played all his youth football in this position

SideBurns
03-07-2018, 03:57 PM
Whittaker started as a striker. Just for a laugh, once we've got the league won, we could ask all the players what positions they played at Primary School and pick the team accordingly. I think Lenny would be up for that.

J-C
03-07-2018, 07:43 PM
I think Efe has all the attributes to be a very good DM, quick, decent passer, good in the air, strong in the challenge and fairly mobile.