PDA

View Full Version : NHC So how far will England get in WC 2018?

theonlywayisup
03-07-2018, 05:16 AM
It's getting to that exciting stage for England. As the media have stated, it's opened up for England to get to the final for a team who hasn't won a knock-out game at the World Cup since 2006, beating Ecuador 1-0. It's also opened up for five other teams in England's half of the draw.

So how far will they get? Obviously, we all have our hopes on what happens next, but what do you think will happen next?

Ryan69
03-07-2018, 05:35 AM
It's getting to that exciting stage for England. As the media have stated, it's opened up for England to get to the final for a team who hasn't won a knock-out game at the World Cup since 2006, beating Ecuador 1-0. It's also opened up for five other teams in England's half of the draw.

So how far will they get? Obviously, we all have our hopes on what happens next, but what do you think will happen next?

Now living in England...Everyone seems to think its already won.
Its going tobe interesting..thats for sure.

In fairness though...Even Scotland would of qualified from that group.
Now they have a test.
Loving how the media simply dont learn there lesson eachtime either. :)

If the worst case scenario happens...ill win a grand,always best to back the nightmare situation.

Cant see it though!

Brazil to win the WC!

McSwanky
03-07-2018, 05:44 AM
I don't think anyone can dispute the fact that every game from here on in is winnable for England. Whether they do our not is another matter! Nobody seems to be taking Switzerland or Sweden seriously, if they get through the Colombia game I can see them going out v the winner of that one.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

norhfc
03-07-2018, 06:25 AM
Todays BBC Breakfast 6 am to 6.25 am, 3 sections and 2 reports on England game, a total of 10 minutes.
Tonight I will watch the game in pub with some English friends, avoiding the usual crap on TV.
This World Cup has been great, still see Brazil as favourites, England get through tonight and they could make the final.

Gatecrasher
03-07-2018, 06:28 AM
its their best chance to win it in a long time, I think they will get to the Semi and Croatia will put them out.

bingo70
03-07-2018, 06:30 AM
I think they’ll lose to Colombia tonight.

Failing that I reckon the semis, ultimately though I think the winner will come from the other half of the draw.

Colr
03-07-2018, 11:21 AM
The draw has certainly opened up for them.

Do they not owe the Russians a favour for their linesman’s help in 66!!?

Seriously, they have a young talented team and Southgate seems level headed and calm.

They have a good chance of going far. Trouble is it will raise expectations for the Euros and the gits in the Englsh media will start to get on their backs then.

JeMeSouviens
03-07-2018, 11:33 AM
I don't think anyone can dispute the fact that every game from here on in is winnable for England. Whether they do our not is another matter! Nobody seems to be taking Switzerland or Sweden seriously, if they get through the Colombia game I can see them going out v the winner of that one.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

:agree: They could easily (and more or less equally) win or lose against anyone in their half of the draw. If they did get to the final they'd be underdogs but (as we know) every underdog has its day.

Statistically speaking, if you consider all their possible remaining games as 50/50, then they have a 6.25% chance of winning the tournament.

JeMeSouviens
03-07-2018, 11:34 AM
The draw has certainly opened up for them.

Do they not owe the Russians a favour for their linesman’s help in 66!!?

Seriously, they have a young talented team and Southgate seems level headed and calm.

They have a good chance of going far. Trouble is it will raise expectations for the Euros and the gits in the Englsh media will start to get on their backs then.

He was actually from Azerbaijan.

AltheHibby
03-07-2018, 12:20 PM
its their best chance to win it in a long time, I think they will get to the Semi and Croatia will put them out.

With you on that thought.

Scouse Hibee
03-07-2018, 12:33 PM
I can’t really see us winning it, I think the winners will come from France, Brazil or Belgium.

BILLYHIBS
03-07-2018, 12:34 PM
Tonight!:thumbsup:

WeeRussell
03-07-2018, 01:15 PM

Failing that I reckon the semis, ultimately though I think the winner will come from the other half of the draw.

I agree although I’m telling myself Colombia can go all the way! Actually have a hunch Colombia will end up winning relatively comfortably tonight but that’s hunches for you!

Exciting times for England and their fans, no doubt. First big test coming up and looking forward to seeing how it pans out.

Pete
03-07-2018, 04:31 PM
If they get past Columbia there’s a good chance of them going all the way to the final.

Definitely the better half of the draw.

Sir David Gray
03-07-2018, 04:33 PM
I honestly think they'll lose tonight.

Hibbyradge
03-07-2018, 04:43 PM
I honestly think they'll lose tonight.

I dishonestly think they might.

Lago
03-07-2018, 04:51 PM
I can’t really see us winning it, I think the winners will come from France, Brazil or Belgium.
I'm going todisagree with you & suggest they have goodish chance of going all the way.

Scouse Hibee
03-07-2018, 05:07 PM
I'm going to diadisag with you & suggest they have goodish chance of going all the way.

I hope you are right.

G B Young
03-07-2018, 05:14 PM

Now they have a test.

If the worst case scenario happens...ill win a grand,always best to back the nightmare situation.

Cant see it though!

Brazil to win the WC!

Not a chance.

DH1875
03-07-2018, 05:20 PM
IF they win tonight, they'll make the final.

Hi Heid Yin
03-07-2018, 06:09 PM

Lol. Hedging our bets are we?

WeeRussell
03-07-2018, 10:45 PM
Not a chance.

There it is!

Nakedmanoncrack
03-07-2018, 10:59 PM
When's the parade?

MrSmith
04-07-2018, 01:07 AM
They may get past Sweden but in reality and after the Columbia game, England are not good enough. Got extremely lucky against Columbia but do not not deserve their place thus far.

Hi Heid Yin
04-07-2018, 01:55 AM

Now they have a test.

Cant see it though!

Brazil to win the WC!

So many in Scotland talk of England being delusional, but to state that Scotland would have qualified from the same world cup group as England is laughable, especially when Scotland did not even qualify for the world cup full stop. Your attempt to belittle England's achievements is par for the course from one with a huge anti-English chip on his shoulders. I'm a Scot and I really do cringe at the statements of some of my fellow countrymen and women.

Hi Heid Yin
04-07-2018, 02:05 AM
They may get past Sweden but in reality and after the Columbia game, England are not good enough. Got extremely lucky against Columbia but do not not deserve their place thus far.

If you keep stating that England are not good enough, then eventually they will get beaten and you will be one of the first to smugly and satisfyingly say "I told you so". How sad and pathetic that is.
Is it so hard to accept and respect and compliment, even, an England team that romped their qualifying pre-world cup group, comfortably negotiated their world cup final group (even putting out a reserve side against Belgium) and have successfully made their way to the quarter finals of the greatest tournament on the planet? They fully deserved that victory against Colombia and their cynical tactics.
You are, I suspect, one of those Scots who supports any team that England plays, such is your hatred and contempt for our British neighbours.
I, on the other hand, as a Scot, want to see England crowned world champions as it raises the British profile and hammers home to the world that we Brits are winners, especially during this Brexit-negotiations period in our history when so many doubters and cynics from both home and abroad want to belittle us and put us down.

SRHibs
04-07-2018, 03:39 AM
If you keep stating that England are not good enough, then eventually they will get beaten and you will be one of the first to smugly and satisfyingly say "I told you so". How sad and pathetic that is.
Is it so hard to accept and respect and compliment, even, an England team that romped their qualifying pre-world cup group, comfortably negotiated their world cup final group (even putting out a reserve side against Belgium) and have successfully made their way to the quarter finals of the greatest tournament on the planet? They fully deserved that victory against Colombia and their cynical tactics.
You are, I suspect, one of those Scots who supports any team that England plays, such is your hatred and contempt for our British neighbours.
I, on the other hand, as a Scot, want to see England crowned world champions as it raises the British profile and hammers home to the world that we Brits are winners, especially during this Brexit-negotiations period in our history when so many doubters and cynics from both home and abroad want to belittle us and put us down.

Wow, that’s a huge amount to extrapolate from people simply wanting the English FOOTBALL team to lose. Get a grip.

Also, Belgium too put out a reserve side. Granted, you can only beat what’s in front of you, but England have barely scraped past Colombia and Tunisia, with Panama being their only real moment of comfort.

Maybe they’ll up tbeir game for the bigger teams, but I can’t see it. Semi finals is still a pretty good achievement though.

MrSmith
04-07-2018, 04:45 AM

There is only one set of supporters who have this mentality. England will fare badly against a quality team. You can rant on whichever way you want however, they are simply not good enough to win the World Cup.

I'm_cabbaged
04-07-2018, 04:52 AM

😂😂😂😂

Ryan69
04-07-2018, 05:15 AM
So many in Scotland talk of England being delusional, but to state that Scotland would have qualified from the same world cup group as England is laughable, especially when Scotland did not even qualify for the world cup full stop. Your attempt to belittle England's achievements is par for the course from one with a huge anti-English chip on his shoulders. I'm a Scot and I really do cringe at the statements of some of my fellow countrymen and women.

Saying that Tunisia and Panama would beat Scotland....Is more laughable.

FitbaFolkKen
04-07-2018, 05:27 AM

Southgate’s Lip

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dashing Bob S
04-07-2018, 05:41 AM
Saying that Tunisia and Panama would beat Scotland....Is more laughable.

Why? Scotland have struggled against comparable teams. Nothing in the footballing form of our country suggests victory could be taken for granted against such nations. Though, as Scotland has never qualified for a major tournament in many years, this question is academic.

Phil MaGlass
04-07-2018, 06:26 AM
My world cup just seems tae go from bad to worse.
Now, dont get me wrong, england have played some decent fitba at times against weak opponents, and seem to have an easy ride to the semis, but, FFS will someone just knock them oot.

Wembley67
04-07-2018, 06:28 AM
Don't care, we won the Scottish Cup, nothing else can get me down any more football wise 😁

CockneyRebel
04-07-2018, 06:35 AM
There is only one set of supporters who have this mentality. England will fare badly against a quality team. You can rant on whichever way you want however, they are simply not good enough to win the World Cup.

You only need to look in the mirror'

Aritch
04-07-2018, 06:42 AM

Support England, guys! You're weakening our Brexit negotiations!

I hope Donald Tusk doesn't read hibs.net

Nameless
04-07-2018, 07:12 AM
Sweden looked great against Germany and Mexico, and never looked in trouble against South Korea. Anyone hanging their hat on the performance against Switzerland is on a fool's errand - let's not forget, it was the Swedes who stopped Italy from qualifying. England won, but created almost nothing in 120 minutes against a very negative Colombia, but I expect the quarter final to be a far more open game. I can't see it being a high scoring game, but think Sweden will win.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

MrSmith
04-07-2018, 07:55 AM
You only need to look in the mirror'

Was thinking English fans mate! Looking in the mirror will do no good neither, this is not England’s time!

But maybe you should take a look in the realism mirror, it might help you.

essexhibee
04-07-2018, 08:04 AM
They are gonna win the bloody thing. Too much has gone right for them and winning the shootout yesterday was a big thing.

Luckily am way to Greece on Friday so will miss the rest of it. Already yesterday people were singing in the street and beeping car horns. Bloody unbearable. :rolleyes:

MrSmith
04-07-2018, 08:20 AM
They are gonna win the bloody thing. Too much has gone right for them and winning the shootout yesterday was a big thing.

Luckily am way to Greece on Friday so will miss the rest of it. Already yesterday people were singing in the street and beeping car horns. Bloody unbearable. :rolleyes:

Currently in Madeira with my missus and her family. Apart from my missus, her family are English! Wouldn’t deny them the night they had last night as you can imagine but even they are singing “it’s coming home” :rolleyes: had to show them the facts that England is not the home of football. However, we are all having a brill time here. My thoughts if they get past Sweden, coming up against Brazil, Uruguay, the formidable Croatia or France, will be a step too far for them for now. In the future, maybe.

GRD
04-07-2018, 08:42 AM

*slowly gets to his feet, hand raised to forehead in salute, a solitary tear rolling down his cheek as the first bars of God Save The Queen sound out triumphantly...*

WeeRussell
04-07-2018, 08:48 AM

Wait a second.. you cringe at people wanting their football rivals to get beat, but support England because of good old Blighty and brexit?!

MrSmith
04-07-2018, 08:52 AM
Wait a second.. you cringe at people wanting their football rivals to get beat, but support England because of good old Blighty and brexit?!

I never saw the brexit bit! Ha ha ha what a giant :cb:na na: England winning the world cup solves all the brexit problems ... no wonder the UK is a mess, the britnats have absolutely no common sense nor sense of reality. :aok:

Scotty Leither
04-07-2018, 09:04 AM

I was in London last week and watched Germany and Argentina's defeats to South Korea and France respectively in a London pub. I cringed as the England fans present laughed long and hard at the "Jerries" and the "Argies" exit.

It was of course all expressed in good humour without a whiff of xenophobia, and with stiff upper-lip British stoicism.

The half dozen young German lads in the same bar looked genuinely scared at some of the bile that was on display, but then I suppose it did remind them that "we Brits" are not to be messed around with when it comes to winning wars and wallowing in nostalgia.

To that end, I stuck on a Vera Lynn record on the jukebox, shed a silent tear for Winston Churchill and the bulldog spirit, and left the pub to make my way to the East End, comfortable that I could look them in the face again.

Rule Britannia, GSTQ, 1966, and all that.

B.H.F.C
04-07-2018, 09:11 AM
Still think the winner will come from the other side of the draw - those teams are much stronger.

If England don’t get to the final, and give themselves a chance, those players will regret it for the rest of their lives. But Sweden, Croatia and Russia will all be thinking the same.

G B Young
04-07-2018, 09:13 AM

I don't think they're good enough to win it so you can probably relax and enjoy your holiday.

As for the street celebrations/flags flying from cars etc, this is a gripe I've never really understood from Scots who live down south. Doesn't it simply go with the territory if you live in England? They're entitled to celebrate. It would be the same up here if Scotland ever won a meaningful football match.

As I said on another thread, it strikes me these days that there's a bit of desperation about those who still cling to the anyone but England mantra. What, really, is the point of it? Last century, when Scotland were regularly in the mix to qualify for major tournaments I could understand it as there was a degree of one up-manship involved and you could claim England were our genuine rivals on the European/world stage. These days, though, you can hardly say they're our rivals in the way Hibs and Hearts are rivals. We've been so far off the pace for so long that there are bigger things to worry about than whether or not England win a football match. From what I've seen this current England squad seem a decent, level-headed bunch and it sounds like they deserved to win last night. Unless you have family/sentimental connections to Columbia would any Scot truthfully have got any genuine pleasure from 'supporting' them?

MrSmith
04-07-2018, 09:26 AM
I don't think they're good enough to win it so you can probably relax and enjoy your holiday.

As for the street celebrations/flags flying from cars etc, this is a gripe I've never really understood from Scots who live down south. Doesn't it simply go with the territory if you live in England? They're entitled to celebrate. It would be the same up here if Scotland ever won a meaningful football match.

As I said on another thread, it strikes me these days that there's a bit of desperation about those who still cling to the anyone but England mantra. What, really, is the point of it? Last century, when Scotland were regularly in the mix to qualify for major tournaments I could understand it as there was a degree of one up-manship involved and you could claim England were our genuine rivals on the European/world stage. These days, though, you can hardly say they're our rivals in the way Hibs and Hearts are rivals. We've been so far off the pace for so long that there are bigger things to worry about than whether or not England win a football match. From what I've seen this current England squad seem a decent, level-headed bunch and it sounds like they deserved to win last night. Unless you have family/sentimental connections to Columbia would any Scot truthfully have got any genuine pleasure from 'supporting' them?

THE ENGLISH MEDIA MACHINE! Does that clear it up? ;D

WeeRussell
04-07-2018, 09:29 AM

You’re fooling nobody - as if our rivalry with hearts disappeared when we played in a different league to them for 2 years. Your anyone but Scotland overtones are far more confusing than anyone not wanting England to win the World Cup.

Unless of course it’s all deliberate...

CockneyRebel
04-07-2018, 09:38 AM
Was thinking English fans mate! Looking in the mirror will do no good neither, this is not England’s time!

But maybe you should take a look in the realism mirror, it might help you.

You were talking about the England supporters/media mentality and I said to look in the mirror - then you should see that they are not alone in the ups and downs of reactions to football results. Just watch any relating to the times Allys's Army and read the papers of that period.
What gets on my threepennies is the constant regurgitation of the same old p*sh about stuff that happens pretty much every including your own backyard. By all means have opinions/likes/dislikes but stop using the same old tired excuses for them.

essexhibee
04-07-2018, 09:40 AM

I was born and raised in England. Its the obnoxious and arrogant attitudes of the fans/media that I cannot stand. The team themselves I actually quite like. Guys like Harry Kane who is a consummate professional as well as being in my opinion world class. Much nicer than the bawbags of Terry for example.

CockneyRebel
04-07-2018, 09:43 AM

Yes it does really. If you still read newspapers and still believe them then you are beyond saving.

One Day Soon
04-07-2018, 09:47 AM
I never saw the brexit bit! Ha ha ha what a giant :cb:na na: England winning the world cup solves all the brexit problems ... no wonder the UK is a mess, the britnats have absolutely no common sense nor sense of reality. :aok:

'britnats' :rolleyes:

What a toxic wee thread this is.

If England were to go all the way and win it, would they deserve it then?

MrSmith
04-07-2018, 09:49 AM
Don’t read newspapers but subjected to the worst media coverage of the WC in my lifetime! I’m 51 and remember 1978 very well. I have given my thoughts re the English national team and I fully stand by them.

stoneyburn hibs
04-07-2018, 09:55 AM
I think I'll stick a tenner on them to win it.

Pretty Boy
04-07-2018, 09:57 AM
'britnats' :rolleyes:

What a toxic wee thread this is.

If England were to go all the way and win it, would they deserve it then?

One of the real downsides to the independence 'debate' has been the way that terminology I always associated with the moron element in Northern Ireland and the west of Scotland has started to permeate into more widespread use in Scotland. I cringe when I hear or see people using terms like 'britnat', 'yoon' or 'separatists' and so on. I honestly can't remember people speaing like that even 5 or 6 years ago but now it seems almost acceptable. It' such a daft notion that failure to rabidly support ABE is an indicator of your political or constitutional views.

heretoday
04-07-2018, 10:13 AM
Currently in Madeira with my missus and her family. Apart from my missus, her family are English! Wouldn’t deny them the night they had last night as you can imagine but even they are singing “it’s coming home” :rolleyes: had to show them the facts that England is not the home of football. However, we are all having a brill time here. My thoughts if they get past Sweden, coming up against Brazil, Uruguay, the formidable Croatia or France, will be a step too far for them for now. In the future, maybe.

You're not doing it right - far too laid back and good-natured. Go to a local bar, have far too much strong drink in hot weather, start a self-righteous rant about how we're downtrodden etc etc. and spend the rest of the holiday in the doghouse with a terrible hangover.

It's your duty!

G B Young
04-07-2018, 10:17 AM

Not really. Sure, a lot of the older commentators are a bit stuck in a Boy's Own age of football but there are plenty of real bellends among the Scottish commentators/pundits too and were Scotland to qualify again for a major tournament does anyone imagine they would be non-partisan, impartial observers of our games? They English media traditionally set themselves up for a fall, and IMHO have done so again this time round, but what should they be doing instead? Writing off England's chances at every opportunity? They World Cup's all about trying to punt a feelgood factor for the nations involved.

G B Young
04-07-2018, 10:21 AM
You’re fooling nobody - as if our rivalry with hearts disappeared when we played in a different league to them for 2 years. Your anyone but Scotland overtones are far more confusing than anyone not wanting England to win the World Cup.

Unless of course it’s all deliberate...

Not sure about that. If, in some awful alternative universe, Hibs were rattling around in the second or third division for 20-plus years (similar to Scotland's exile from the top table) while Hearts were in the top flight the rivalry would be diluted.

I don't 'want' England to win the World Cup. I just don't think it would be the catastrophe some Scots seem to think. As I said, I'd be amazed if it actually happened so probably nothing to worry about. As for Scotland, they just irritate the hell out of me due to their endless ineptitude.

JeMeSouviens
04-07-2018, 10:35 AM
One of the real downsides to the independence 'debate' has been the way that terminology I always associated with the moron element in Northern Ireland and the west of Scotland has started to permeate into more widespread use in Scotland. I cringe when I hear or see people using terms like 'britnat', 'yoon' or 'separatists' and so on. I honestly can't remember people speaing like that even 5 or 6 years ago but now it seems almost acceptable. It' such a daft notion that failure to rabidly support ABE is an indicator of your political or constitutional views.

I agree but it's also extremely tedious that you can't enjoy a bit of banterous rivalry and want England to lose without being labelled bitter, desperate, childish etc or seemingly being filled with hatred and contempt etc. I'm the token Scot on a world cup whatsapp with some English pals and none of them seem to mind. Why does the holier than thou brigade on here have to get their knickers in such a twist?

Brightside
04-07-2018, 10:37 AM
Nothing to stop them winning it. There are no outstanding teams this year. The main powerhouses are playing nowhere near the level they have in the past. Its all there for the taking.

MrSmith
04-07-2018, 11:55 AM
one of the real downsides to the independence 'debate' has been the way that terminology i always associated with the moron element in northern ireland and the west of scotland has started to permeate into more widespread use in scotland. I cringe when i hear or see people using terms like 'britnat', 'yoon' or 'separatists' and so on. I honestly can't remember people speaing like that even 5 or 6 years ago but now it seems almost acceptable. It' such a daft notion that failure to rabidly support abe is an indicator of your political or constitutional views.
abe?

Michael
04-07-2018, 12:01 PM
abe?

Anyone but England

Hi Heid Yin
04-07-2018, 12:19 PM

I support all things British.

Re Brexit.
There are a lot of people in Britain with an in-built defeatist attitude, and far too many here in Scotland - attacking and demeaning any success that comes Britain's way. There is a clear lack of confidence in our ability as a people and a nation to be as good as, or as big as or as loud as other nations. So when I talk of England succeeding in the world cup it is from this wider perspective. I want the world to see the UK as a winner and not as an also ran. I have a military background and also spent years in the USA, where an up and at em and can-do attitude prevails, the complete opposite to here in Scotland. The so-called English arrogance is no different to the arrogance displayed by The Germans, or The Brazilians, or the French or indeed the USA. To be a winner you have to believe it first of all in your own head. So what if the English talk-up their team at the world cup..they did win the damn thing - albeit 52 years ago, and are regularly in the top 10 footballing nations in the world. If you are in the top 10 then you have to believe that you can win a tournament.
Scotland considers herself the underdog, suppressed, in the shadows of her bigger neighbour and the Braveheart seige mentality is actually cringing for any nation in the 21st century. If Scotland could really believe in herself and eradicate her mammoth chip on her shoulders re "England" she will become a healthier and more prosperous nation. Take Denmark as a great example of a nation that has been trodden on by her huge neighbour Germany, yet has some of the highest living standards in the world and has been far more successful with her national football team than Scotland to boot.

Lago
04-07-2018, 12:26 PM

Your right big time. No more sensible debate it's horrible nasty stuff. Agree to disagree, forget it. What a small minded parochial country we've become.
It really saddens me.

MrSmith
04-07-2018, 12:32 PM

Re Brexit.
There are a lot of people in Britain with an in-built defeatist attitude, and far too many here in Scotland - attacking and demeaning any success that comes Britain's way. There is a clear lack of confidence in our ability as a people and a nation to be as good as, or as big as or as loud as other nations. So when I talk of England succeeding in the world cup it is from this wider perspective. I want the world to see the UK as a winner and not as an also ran. I have a military background and also spent years in the USA, where an up and at em and can-do attitude prevails, the complete opposite to here in Scotland. The so-called English arrogance is no different to the arrogance displayed by The Germans, or The Brazilians, or the French or indeed the USA. To be a winner you have to believe it first of all in your own head. So what if the English talk-up their team at the world cup..they did win the damn thing - albeit 52 years ago, and are regularly in the top 10 footballing nations in the world. If you are in the top 10 then you have to believe that you can win a tournament.
Scotland considers itself the underdog, suppressed, in the shadows of her bigger neghbour and the Braveheart seige mentality is actually cringing for any nation in the 21st century. If Scotland could really believe in herself and eradicate her mammoth chip on her shoulders re "England" she will become a healthier and more prosperous nation. Take Denmark as a great example of a nation that has been trodden on by her huge neighbour Germany, yet has some of the highest living standards in the world and has been far more successful with her football teams to boot.

Sorry but the majority of that is nonsense! To be successful as a country, you need to have a product to sell. All we have is the service sector and R&D to offer. The little island is extremely isolated in the world with its arrogance and continued rule Britannia overtures. I couldn’t give a stuff whether England win the World Cup or not but I do care about the media nonsense afterwards! It stills rants on about 1966. I’m not that person and do not class myself as British nor a brexit orientated person. I’m European and inclusive of all not a small minded colonialist with deluded thoughts of
greatness and world dominance at the forefront. But getting back to my original post, please explain to me why brexit is so great and what Britain offers the world that will make it great again??

Hi Heid Yin
04-07-2018, 12:32 PM
*slowly gets to his feet, hand raised to forehead in salute, a solitary tear rolling down his cheek as the first bars of God Save The Queen sound out triumphantly...*

Oh dear....a schoolboyish post.
This, my friend, says more about you than any of your other 4 posts to date.

JeMeSouviens
04-07-2018, 12:46 PM

Re Brexit.
Scotland considers herself the underdog, suppressed, in the shadows of her bigger neighbour and the Braveheart seige mentality is actually cringing for any nation in the 21st century. If Scotland could really believe in herself and eradicate her mammoth chip on her shoulders re "England" she will become a healthier and more prosperous nation. Take Denmark as a great example of a nation that has been trodden on by her huge neighbour Germany, yet has some of the highest living standards in the world and has been far more successful with her national football team than Scotland to boot.

My #1 reason for supporting Scottish independence. Responsibilty.

Hi Heid Yin
04-07-2018, 12:51 PM
Sorry but the majority of that is nonsense! To be successful as a country, you need to have a product to sell. All we have is the service sector and R&D to offer. The little island is extremely isolated in the world with its arrogance and continued rule Britannia overtures. I couldn’t give a stuff whether England win the World Cup or not but I do care about the media nonsense afterwards! It stills rants on about 1966. I’m not that person and do not class myself as British nor a brexit orientated person. I’m European and inclusive of all not a small minded colonialist with deluded thoughts of
greatness and world dominance at the forefront. But getting back to my original post, please explain to me why brexit is so great and what Britain offers the world that will make it great again??

You are evidently one of those "defeatists" and "little scotland" mindsets I touched upon in a previous post, who professes to be "European" but is as entrenched in his narrow-minded anti-English, anti-British sentiments as any of your ilk.
You keep mentioning arrogance when referring to England but fail to address the same arrogance displayed by Germany or any other country. Arrogance by The Germans resulted in two catastrophic wars, costing the lives of millions. You are aware of this, no?
There is nothing I or any one else who shares my viewpoints can do to help you.
I wish you as much peace as is possible with an anti-English, anti-British hardened soul.

MrSmith
04-07-2018, 01:15 PM
You are evidently one of those "defeatists" and "little scotland" mindsets I touched upon in a previous post, who professes to be "European" but is as entrenched in his narrow-minded anti-English, anti-British sentiments as any of your ilk.
You keep mentioning arrogance when referring to England but fail to address the same arrogance displayed by Germany or any other country. Arrogance by The Germans resulted in two catastrophic wars, costing the lives of millions. You are aware of this, no?
There is nothing I or any one else who shares my viewpoints can do to help you.
I wish you as much peace as is possible with an anti-English, anti-British hardened soul.

How selective and truly ignorant! I still would like an answer though.

norhfc
04-07-2018, 02:02 PM

Re Brexit.

I live in Norway and this country is an even better example of a small nation succeeding. Scotland wants to stand up and be a confident modern country, it is called the Devolution Bill.
Remember the one we voted for and are about to lose because of Brexit. If as you say Scotland is a cringe worthy nation, surely you support the Scottish Parliment and its efforts to keep
the devolved powers in Edinburgh ?

As for the football I,m sure England has enough up front to get past Sweden....on pens.

MrSmith
04-07-2018, 02:16 PM
I’m thinking the lip is part of the SIU initiative.

CockneyRebel
04-07-2018, 02:51 PM
Sorry but the majority of that is nonsense! To be successful as a country, you need to have a product to sell. All we have is the service sector and R&D to offer. The little island is extremely isolated in the world with its arrogance and continued rule Britannia overtures. I couldn’t give a stuff whether England win the World Cup or not but I do care about the media nonsense afterwards! It stills rants on about 1966. I’m not that person and do not class myself as British nor a brexit orientated person. I’m European and inclusive of all not a small minded colonialist with deluded thoughts of greatness and world dominance at the forefront. But getting back to my original post, please explain to me why brexit is so great and what Britain offers the world that will make it great again??

Do you realise how pathetic that sentence is - world dominance, Jeezo!

JeMeSouviens
04-07-2018, 03:13 PM

It may not apply to the average English punter, but there is a strain of British establishment thinking that has never got over losing the empire. It's why they are desperate to hang onto useless nuclear weapons because they know their UN Security council permanent membership would probably go without them. And it's one of the driving motivational forces for the ideologues who brought you Brexit. Your BoJos, Rees-Moggs etc. definitely think like this and while they might be unrepresentative, they do run the ****** government!

ancient hibee
04-07-2018, 03:16 PM
I live in Norway and this country is an even better example of a small nation succeeding. Scotland wants to stand up and be a confident modern country, it is called the Devolution Bill.
Remember the one we voted for and are about to lose because of Brexit. If as you say Scotland is a cringe worthy nation, surely you support the Scottish Parliment and its efforts to keep

As for the football I,m sure England has enough up front to get past Sweden....on pens.

The devolved powers you mention are in fact in Brussels exactly where the current Scottish Government want to keep them.

bordergreen
04-07-2018, 03:19 PM
Anyone but England

I have the same feeling I did during the last American election. They can't possibly elect Trump........

It is a bit like watching a car crash in slow motion.

Hope I'm wrong. Mon the Swede's!

Stranraer
04-07-2018, 03:22 PM
unfortunately I think the teams they have in front of them means they can reach the final but for me they aren't strong enough to win it.

MrSmith
04-07-2018, 03:25 PM

I’m glad you like it 👍

ancient hibee
04-07-2018, 03:26 PM
They seem wide open to me to anyone going at pace down the middle.Unfortunately most teams they've played seem to want to fanny around back and forward in front of their defence.Far too many teams overplay the number of passes they make and end up getting nowhere other than the plane home.

JeMeSouviens
04-07-2018, 03:26 PM
The devolved powers you mention are in fact in Brussels exactly where the current Scottish Government want to keep them.

Red herring. This side of an indyref and that side of Brexit they can only be in London or Edinburgh.

ancient hibee
04-07-2018, 03:28 PM
Red herring. This side of an indyref and that side of Brexit they can only be in London or Edinburgh.

I was replying to someone who seems to think that these powers are in Edinburgh.

JeMeSouviens
04-07-2018, 03:28 PM
They seem wide open to me to anyone going at pace down the middle.Unfortunately most teams they've played seem to want to fanny around back and forward in front of their defence.Far too many teams overplay the number of passes they make and end up getting nowhere other than the plane home.

:agree: Belgium the other night and Colombia last night both eventually switched to getting men in the box and putting in crosses to them. Fellaini an unlikely gamechanger but it worked!

JeMeSouviens
04-07-2018, 03:32 PM
I was replying to someone who seems to think that these powers are in Edinburgh.

Fair enough, but they are in Brussels with the agreement of the Scottish parliament. It hasn't agreed to transferring them to London. Scot gov has said it recognises the need for UK frameworks in some areas but would like them to be agreed rather than imposed.

This matters if the UK tries to sign up to a trade deal with eg, the US, and Scots don't want things the UK gov will happily sign away, eg. the famous chlorine washed chicken.

Bishop Hibee
04-07-2018, 03:41 PM
I had England getting to the QF but I think they’ll beat Sweden. They’d beat Russia but Croatia will be beyond them hopefully.

When it comes to sport I’m a 100% unapologetic ABE. Does that make me anti-English? No. I lived and worked there for four years, my youngest son was born there, I holiday there often and I have many English friends. They were the better team last night and have their best chance of winning the tournament since 1990. A frightening thought.

ancient hibee
04-07-2018, 03:46 PM
Fair enough, but they are in Brussels with the agreement of the Scottish parliament. It hasn't agreed to transferring them to London. Scot gov has said it recognises the need for UK frameworks in some areas but would like them to be agreed rather than imposed.

This matters if the UK tries to sign up to a trade deal with eg, the US, and Scots don't want things the UK gov will happily sign away, eg. the famous chlorine washed chicken.

If you haven't tried it don't knock it:greengrin

ancient hibee
04-07-2018, 03:48 PM
:agree: Belgium the other night and Colombia last night both eventually switched to getting men in the box and putting in crosses to them. Fellaini an unlikely gamechanger but it worked!

The Japanese are nippy devils (no pun) but you would have thought that 5 minutes into the game the Belgians might have noticed they had a bit of a height advantage.

norhfc
04-07-2018, 03:55 PM

Yes it is what we voted for, being taken without our consent. Suppose you either look at Scotland as a country or a county.

Pantah
04-07-2018, 04:02 PM
If England play like they did against Columbia they have no chance against Sweden. Missed passes all over the shop, lack of width, and a serious lack of game plan. Sweden are tight and organised and will be too strong for Engerland.
Would be nice though if the hosts took them out on penalties before getting hammered by the mighty France.

04-07-2018, 04:06 PM
England have fallen on their feet is regards to their route to the semi finals. I get why the England fans are getting excited but they are yet to be convincing against a decent team.

I don't have anything against the English people, but the media hype over them is rather tedious, they'd have you believe the cup was already won. The commentary and punditry has been cringeworthy at times. Of course they are going to bum up their own country, that's to be expected but they seem to have written their opponents off before a ball is kicked.

CockneyRebel
04-07-2018, 04:20 PM
]It may not apply to the average English punter, but there is a strain of British establishment thinking that has never got over losing the empire[/B]. It's why they are desperate to hang onto useless nuclear weapons because they know their UN Security council permanent membership would probably go without them. And it's one of the driving motivational forces for the ideologues who brought you Brexit. Your BoJos, Rees-Moggs etc. definitely think like this and while they might be unrepresentative, they do run the ****** government!

That sentence is almost as pathetic as the one you are trying (unsuccessfully) to defend, the rest is pure bile and nothing to do with this thread, again Jeezo! England are in the WC (remember? football remember?) they are not looking to invade anyone.

I'm out now as I come on here to discuss/debate Hibs and football in general and not to indulge in schoolboy politics. Bye.

MrSmith
04-07-2018, 04:45 PM
That sentence is almost as pathetic as the one you are trying (unsuccessfully) to defend, the rest is pure bile and nothing to do with this thread, again Jeezo! England are in the WC (remember? football remember?) they are not looking to invade anyone.

I'm out now as I come on here to discuss/debate Hibs and football in general and not to indulge in schoolboy politics. Bye.

Bye 👋

ancient hibee
04-07-2018, 04:52 PM
Yes it is what we voted for, being taken without our consent. Suppose you either look at Scotland as a country or a county.
I have no wish to interfere in the private political arguments going on but as a matter of interest what do you think is being taken from us?

Bostonhibby
04-07-2018, 04:56 PM
It may not apply to the average English punter, but there is a strain of British establishment thinking that has never got over losing the empire. It's why they are desperate to hang onto useless nuclear weapons because they know their UN Security council permanent membership would probably go without them. And it's one of the driving motivational forces for the ideologues who brought you Brexit. Your BoJos, Rees-Moggs etc. definitely think like this and while they might be unrepresentative, they do run the ****** government!I agree to an extent that there's a significant minority amongst some social and political classes in England that think that way but you could say the same about parts of Scotland too.

There's a pretty healthy disdain for empire and the "glory" days amongst many of the English people I live amongst. There's many who felt they were misinformed over the case for brexit and would vote the other way if given the chance.

The problem England has is a vocal minority right wing that isn't really united in its aims at all and some of the parties are not to clever when it comes to explaining to the rest of us what they are going to do to improve the lives of the people around them

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

The Tubs
04-07-2018, 05:14 PM

Scotchland.

Hi Heid Yin
04-07-2018, 05:47 PM

Who I vote for remains my own personal business, but in principal I agree that the Scottish Parliament should have as much devolved power as is possible.

MrSmith
04-07-2018, 05:58 PM
Who I vote for remains my own personal business, but in principal I agree that the Scottish Parliament should have as much devolved power as is possible.

Extremely clear who you vote for and your continued role in the SIU. Your writing style absolutely nails that fact.

Hi Heid Yin
04-07-2018, 06:24 PM
Extremely clear who you vote for and your continued role in the SIU. Your writing style absolutely nails that fact.

Lol. You really do have a bee under your bonnet Mr Smith.
For those who might not know what SIU stands for: please spell it out in full, as some might interpret it as the Special Investigation Unit
Cheers

Deansy
04-07-2018, 06:26 PM
England have fallen on their feet is regards to their route to the semi finals. I get why the England fans are getting excited but they are yet to be convincing against a decent team.

I don't have anything against the English people, but the media hype over them is rather tedious, they'd have you believe the cup was already won. The commentary and punditry has been cringeworthy at times. Of course they are going to bum up their own country, that's to be expected but they seem to have written their opponents off before a ball is kicked.

That's what boils my urine - their media !. At every World-cup and European-championship, they talk as if England are up there with the Germans, Brazilains, Argentinians etc - baffling and infuriating !

MrSmith
04-07-2018, 06:32 PM
Lol. You really do have a bee under your bonnet Mr Smith.
For those who might not know what SIU stands for: please spell it out in full, as some might interpret it as the Special Investigation Unit
Cheers

I will once you answer my question!

Hi Heid Yin
04-07-2018, 06:37 PM
I had England getting to the QF but I think they’ll beat Sweden. They’d beat Russia but Croatia will be beyond them hopefully.

When it comes to sport I’m a 100% unapologetic ABE. Does that make me anti-English? No. I lived and worked there for four years, my youngest son was born there, I holiday there often and I have many English friends. They were the better team last night and have their best chance of winning the tournament since 1990. A frightening thought.

The inherant contradiction in this statement is truly laughable.
Of course you are anti-English!
Stating that you support anybody but England says it all.
Do yourself a favour and simply be honest with yourself and admit your own prejudice and not put up a smokescreen with some select choice of words..." I lived and worked there for four years....blah blah blah

MrSmith
04-07-2018, 06:44 PM
Do yourself a favour and simply be honest with yourself and admit your own prejudice and not put up a smokescreen with some select choice of words..." I lived and worked there for four years....blah blah blah

Oh please stop it! You give your self away at every level.

Hi Heid Yin
04-07-2018, 06:45 PM
I would like to apologise to my fellow Hibbies for my part in helping this thread deteriorate into something deeper and political.
I will now try to focus and comment on the football side of things.

CropleyWasGod
04-07-2018, 06:46 PM

Don't you think it's possible to be anti-something for 90 minutes at a time, and then revert to being a rational human being the rest of the time?

MrSmith
04-07-2018, 06:54 PM
Don't you think it's possible to be anti-something for 90 minutes at a time, and then revert to being a rational human being the rest of the time?

😏

Scouse Hibee
04-07-2018, 06:55 PM
If England reach the final then you just never know. Just back from Liverpool for a long weekend, loved the atmosphere in the pubs during the game, the countless houses decorated and flying flags, the numerous cars flying their flags, it was superb. Loving this World Cup, England aside some of the other games have been the best I can remember.

Scouse Hibee
04-07-2018, 06:56 PM

:agree: The perfect definition of many a football fan, club or country.

CropleyWasGod
04-07-2018, 06:58 PM
:agree: The perfect definition of many a football fan, club or country.

Ram the Jack up yer jacksie, ya English twat

Oh... sorry.. nae fitba on the night.

:greengrin

Scouse Hibee
04-07-2018, 07:00 PM
Ram the Jack up yer jacksie, ya English twat

Oh... sorry.. nae fitba on the night.

:greengrin

:faf:

McIntosh
04-07-2018, 07:06 PM
Always want England to do well. Great result for them against a dirty cheating shower of the worst order. Could never support a team like Columbia with their tactics against any national team from our two islands. How far can they go? Giving the draw all four teams in their section can beat each other. If and it is a big if, if they got to the final they would struggle to beat France, who in my opinion are the team in great form.

Colr
04-07-2018, 07:33 PM
That's what boils my urine - their media !. At every World-cup and European-championship, they talk as if England are up there with the Germans, Brazilains, Argentinians etc - baffling and infuriating !

The Germans and Argentinians are not good examples at the moment!!

But levity aside, the english media don’t reflect my experience of English people or English football fans as a sub-set as most are pretty realistic about their prospects and rather happy that they’ve got this far and still have a very good chance of going further.

What I really hate about the Sun and Daily Mail is their xenophibic racism towards opponents in any game. It’s frankly a national embarrassment.

One Day Soon
04-07-2018, 07:44 PM
Oh please stop it! You give your self away at every level.

Whereas you are definitely coming across as an impartial observer...

Tyler Durden
04-07-2018, 07:55 PM
People saying England have yet to be convincing winners - only Brazil won the round of 16 game by more than 1 goal.

All the remaining games will be tight but England are good enough to beat anyone if they peak at the right time. There’s no team that have been fully convincing, perhaps with the exception of Uruguay

Eyrie
04-07-2018, 08:16 PM
Am I the only one thinking he's blundered onto the Holy Ground by mistake?

Can everyone take their political nonsense and antagonism over there please? Some of us want to talk football.

The Modfather
04-07-2018, 08:19 PM

What about all the those that profess to hate Hearts and hope they get beat every game? Does their prejudice impact them in the real world with the hearts fans in their families, friends and colleagues? Or do they hate Hearts but also understand football is only a game and there’s a real world outside of it.

I’m ABE and have great banter with my wife and her family, who all live in, and are from, Derby. Just means if they do win it I’lll have a lifetime of trying to avoid trips to see the in laws and them mentioning it at every turn 😀

MrSmith
04-07-2018, 08:48 PM
Whereas you are definitely coming across as an impartial observer...

Good observations mate 👍 might be nicer had you taken all my posts in context 🤣

One Day Soon
04-07-2018, 09:00 PM
Good observations mate 👍 might be nicer had you taken all my posts in context 🤣

I did, that's why I posted.

MrSmith
04-07-2018, 09:12 PM
I did, that's why I posted.

No you didn’t otherwise you wouldn’t have posted. I’m extremely clear in my politics, can’t be bothered with ignorance.

One Day Soon
04-07-2018, 10:42 PM
No you didn’t otherwise you wouldn’t have posted. I’m extremely clear in my politics, can’t be bothered with ignorance.

I really did.

But you seem to feel you know better than other people what they've read and not read, what way they vote and what organisations they belong to so I'll leave you to it.

Scotty Leither
04-07-2018, 10:59 PM
I have no wish to interfere in the private political arguments going on but as a matter of interest what do you think is being taken from us?

EU citizenship.

MrSmith
04-07-2018, 11:15 PM
I really did.

But you seem to feel you know better than other people what they've read and not read, what way they vote and what organisations they belong to so I'll leave you to it.

Nah man, I know nothing better than anyone else but you used the get out clause. Well done 👍

Hi Heid Yin
04-07-2018, 11:26 PM
Nah man, I know nothing better than anyone else but you used the get out clause. Well done ��

I'm now convinced that you, Mr Smith, are a troll, and as is customary, you have been reported to admin.

MrSmith
04-07-2018, 11:35 PM
Good well done 👍 but how wrong you are and still haven’t answered my question. I think admin may ban me but may find three other trolls working in collaboration with the SIU.

MrSmith
04-07-2018, 11:37 PM
Admin, happy to meet you to state my case. Folks know me personally on here too. Andy

Stonewall
05-07-2018, 03:57 AM
Could somebody please tell me what SIU stands for. Then I can ignore this depressing thread.

One Day Soon
05-07-2018, 07:06 AM
Good well done 👍 but how wrong you are and still haven’t answered my question. I think admin may ban me but may find three other trolls working in collaboration with the SIU.

Tin foil hat stuff.

theonlywayisup
05-07-2018, 07:14 AM
Jeeez, can we not just talk about the football :confused:

I'm going to shut down this thread. Those who want to can talk about the non-football topics in the Holy Ground.

I may decide to re-open the thread on Saturday, when there is a pretty important football match to be played. It would be good if the Admins could remove the non-football guff from the thread before then, but no problem if they can't.