gorgie greens
02-07-2018, 09:50 PM
Hibs have turned down a bid for SJM from Celtic

LancsHibs
02-07-2018, 09:50 PM
Good. Any idea of the figures involved?

Hibernia&Alba
02-07-2018, 09:52 PM
He's going there; we all know it. Scunnered, but it's no surprise.

guthrie01
02-07-2018, 09:55 PM
He's going there; we all know it. Scunnered, but it's no surprise.

Not unless we get the right money for him. They can stick that £1.5 back where it came from and tell them to come back with a real offer

AL-Qaholik
02-07-2018, 09:56 PM
Reports suggesting 1.5m with no players offered in return.
Absolutely insulting but par for the course with "Buy-Every-Decent-Player-In-The-League-Then-Moan-About-Lack-Of-Competition FC".

DickieDastardly
On BBC Scotland sports web page also. I think it’s inevitable he’ll go just need to make sure we get a decent deal.
Good luck to him, for me has been the model professional over the last 18mths during all the transfer speculation, never once suggested to the media he was keen to move on.

gorgie greens
Heard premiership teams sniffing so if thats the case i would knock it back as well,Celtic just got £7million for a lesser player in Armstrong so show us your money and were not talking about loose change

Scottie
:giruy2:Sellick. Insulting offer after what they raked in for Armstrong last week.

Heisenberg
02-07-2018, 09:59 PM
Let’s be honest. We’ll accept 2/2.5m for him with Allan included in the deal. We aren’t in a position to be turning that down at this stage. McGinn will want to go there. We want Allan. 2.5m is good money and let’s us get others in to improve the squad. Oh and it’ll help Leeann build that full size indoor pitch she was on about.

Hibernia&Alba
Not unless we get the right money for him. They can stick that £1.5 back where it came from and tell them to come back with a real offer

Absolutely, but an agreement will be reached at some point. They usually get the players they want up here. We need to negotiate for top dollar.

Greencore
so I take it the pish on Twitter about 5m plus Allan rejected was pish then 😂

Speedy
02-07-2018, 10:00 PM
They can ram it. Even with a year left we should get £3m+ and a decent sell on %.

Hibernia&Alba
02-07-2018, 10:02 PM
so I take it the pish on Twitter about 5m plus Allan rejected was pish then 😂

We'd rip their hand off for that.

Jim44
02-07-2018, 10:04 PM
I hope Dempster, Lennon and Petrie have enough balls between them to turn down every offer below the true valuation. If they don’t make a realistic offer, which they won’t till the last minute, I hope we get a few good offers from England. If they have to tell McGinn that he’s going nowhere, tough.

silverhibee
02-07-2018, 10:05 PM

I'm pretty sure they will come back with another offer, this is where we find out if there are other clubs interested in McGinn, Celtc testing the water here with that bid, no other offers come in in for him and Celtc will up that price by a few hundred grand and will probably get the player.

hfc rd
02-07-2018, 10:09 PM
I really hope the English clubs start entering and start a bidding war.

GreenPJ
02-07-2018, 10:12 PM
The Hibs board have proven over the last decade or so that they will ensure they get fair value for players we have sold. Whatever the deal the club agree to I am sure it will be the best deal they can get - whether that be payment terms, sell on fees or players included in the deal.

I think if a concrete bid has been made it will hopefully encourage teams down south to put in concrete bids but think it also puts paid to any minuscule chance there was of McGinn signing an extension to get another year out of him and a bigger transfer fee but he has served us well and even if he goes along m8 it wont tarnish his contribution to Hibs in my eyes.

seanshow
02-07-2018, 10:16 PM
11.5m ...If they move the decimal point Hibs should consider it, he's better than Armstrong imo.

fulshie
Reports suggesting 1.5m with no players offered in return.
Absolutely insulting but par for the course with "Buy-Every-Decent-Player-In-The-League-Then-Moan-About-Lack-Of-Competition FC".:agree:

Gerard
I have confidence in our board to get the maximum money for SJM. If our club does not get a good deal then we should let SJM stay until his contract ends.

Brightside
02-07-2018, 10:18 PM
Armstrong went for more because he was playing for celtic. Thats just how it works. He's going 100% just a case of what players we get in return. I think people are miles off it thinking we will also get £2m+ for him.

Gaffer1875
02-07-2018, 10:26 PM
Armstrong went for more because he was playing for celtic. Thats just how it works. He's going 100% just a case of what players we get in return. I think people are miles off it thinking we will also get £2m+ for him.

I agree. Apart from the obvious in Allan, have you heard what other players could head our way?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GordonHFC
02-07-2018, 10:27 PM

Agree and we cannot run the risk of losing him for nothing in 6 to 12 months.

bingo70
02-07-2018, 10:29 PM

We couldn’t lose him for nothing in 6 months.

B.H.F.C
02-07-2018, 10:32 PM

I think the club would be prepared to risk that unless a suitable bid comes in. When Leeann was asked about his value a couple of weeks ago she said that his value was on the pitch.

We could bank a fee for McGinn which is less than we want or keep him and earn money through success on the pitch. Having the likes of him gives you a better chance of progressing in Europe, cups and finishing higher up the league.

I absolutely think he will be sold. But I’m confident the club will get a better deal than many would expect and the thought of him running his contract down won’t be in their thinking too much.

GordonHFC
02-07-2018, 10:35 PM
We couldn’t lose him for nothing in 6 months.

No but he could sign a pre contract and force his way out for a pittance. And no Scott Allan.

Michael
02-07-2018, 10:35 PM
1.5m is brutal. What's the point of even bidding that?

H18 SFR
02-07-2018, 10:47 PM

One would imagine to negotiate as low a price as possible. I'm assuming we will adopt the same approach for MacLaren etc.

Hermit Crab
02-07-2018, 10:51 PM
so i take it the pish on twitter about 5m plus allan rejected was pish then 😂

:rotflmao:

NOLA
02-07-2018, 11:02 PM
Have to remember ST Mirren are due 30% of this fee which is great for them

Del Boy
02-07-2018, 11:03 PM
I said few weeks ago after listening to scott brown on radio scotland that mcginn was a certainty to end up at Celtic. It was clear Brown had been told that Celtic were going to sign him and just talked about how great a player he was, didn’t mention any other player in the interview which lasted about 20 minutes. Typical Celtic tactics.

chrisski33
02-07-2018, 11:04 PM
Damn qpr have just bought him on my fifa 18 maybe thats a sign lol

yekimevol
02-07-2018, 11:05 PM
St Mirren get a third of any deal so I would be looking to get 3 million, a sell on clause and then a player ... might go Christie over Allan then look to buy Allan for 200K with the funds we would get.

Gibby the Hibby
02-07-2018, 11:13 PM
7million for armstrong,

and they bid 1.5 for mcginn. both at same stage of contract.
one playing for scotland the other a sub fir celtic and scotland,

hmm

davym7062
02-07-2018, 11:29 PM
1.5 mill plus Scott Allan and Ryan Christie!!! I'd take that

madhatter
02-07-2018, 11:39 PM
1.5 mill plus Scott Allan and Ryan Christie!!! I'd take that

Who is saying this?

I'd honestly still push them to £2m at least.

SMAXXA
02-07-2018, 11:43 PM
Celtic are in a strong position here let’s be honest. Worst case scenario they sign him on a Pre contract in January. They have leverage over us knowing Allan will be part of a deal as they are happy for him to leave and we clearly want him. THey will use this as a bargaining chip and quite rightly so. They weren’t daft allowing Scott to come on loan to Hibs last season l this has always been likley this scenario.

03-07-2018, 12:05 AM
If there is a bid, its a opening bid. Hibs won't accept first offer that comes.

Bidding clubs know that there is only a year left on the deal so we'll never get top dollar unless there is real interest in him from down south.

Actually think Celtic are under pressure to sign. They've signed one loan player from last season on a permanent deal. Lost Armstrong (£7m) and by all accounts Tierney (£25m) could go as well as that big dumpling of a centre half (£5m). That could see them three players down and effectively only one loan player resigned. Wouldn't be long before the Celtic Board would start coming under pressure from Celic Fans.

Auckland Hibs
03-07-2018, 12:43 AM
Looks like Derby County are about to accept ~£11m for their star striker (off to Leeds apparently) - this will hopefully give them the funds to make an offer for SJM.

£2m plus Scott Allan seems like a reasonable deal IMO from the Smellies.

danhibees1875
03-07-2018, 02:37 AM
Celtic are in a strong position here let’s be honest. Worst case scenario they sign him on a Pre contract in January. They have leverage over us knowing Allan will be part of a deal as they are happy for him to leave and we clearly want him. THey will use this as a bargaining chip and quite rightly so. They weren’t daft allowing Scott to come on loan to Hibs last season l this has always been likley this scenario.

If Celtic want him then "worst case scenario" for them is he joins someone else - lengthy contract + English team = big money to get him after that.

If Celtic want SJM they'll need to match our valuation or else he'll be playing for the greater greens next season.

andybev1
03-07-2018, 02:42 AM
Looks like Derby County are about to accept ~£11m for their star striker (off to Leeds apparently) - this will hopefully give them the funds to make an offer for SJM.

£2m plus Scott Allan seems like a reasonable deal IMO from the Smellies.

Seems the most sensible deal, between Lennons £5m valuation and Celtic's derisory £1.5

InchHibby
03-07-2018, 04:34 AM
I’ve never seen the sum quoted by Celtic, but if it is 1.5 million, then nothing has changed with the thinking of the bigot brothers, put a derogatory bid in, unsettle the player and basically have no respect for any other team in the Premier, then still want to moan about not having the proper competition from other teams when they get bladdered in Europe.
They sell McGregor for 7 million, who in my mind, is nowhere near as good as John and they know that, hence the reason they sold him and want to buy John.
They are a total bunch of ***** with no scruples or respect, who do they think they are, they may be the top team in Scotland but that’s it in a nutshell.
C’mon Hibs, you know what he’s worth, I trust the board on this one.

flash
03-07-2018, 05:05 AM
It's called an opening bid. Do people seriously think every club in the world doesn't do that?
It simply provides a starting point for negotiations.

SirDavidsNapper
03-07-2018, 05:15 AM
Pathetic bid. St Mirren would be due £450k of the £1.5m. They've just sold a lesser player for £7m. Ram it.

Diclonius
03-07-2018, 05:18 AM
After the working relationship we've built with Celtic over the last few years with regard to transfers, it's pretty disappointing for them to make an offer like that.

theonlywayisup
03-07-2018, 05:30 AM
It's called an opening bid. Do people seriously think every club in the world doesn't do that?
It simply provides a starting point for negotiations.

Yes - happens all the time. Any buyer will try to get the lowest purchase cost, whereas the seller wants to gain the maximum.

I'm sure Hibs will give a firm response back to the offer. It's now up to Celtic to decide if they want to increase it. We are now about to go through the "why are Hibs stopping a young Scotland's player meet his potential by not accepting the bid" period. Celtic just need to sit back and let the media do their dirty work, as they tried to do with Allan to The Rangers. The only time Hibs got a good deal in such situations was with Scott Brown and then Celtic were desperate to land him with The Rangers also sniffing around - also Brown had a lot more years left on his existing contract. It's going to have to take a third party to get involved before the price is going to increase much above what's currently been knocked back.

There becomes a point when Hibs will decide whether £2m to invest in new players, is better than having a John McGinn winding down his contract.

HoboHarry
03-07-2018, 05:30 AM
After the working relationship we've built with Celtic over the last few years with regard to transfers, it's pretty disappointing for them to make an offer like that.
Not at all, it's strictly business and Rod Petrie has always done pretty well for us over the years. It will be just fine when a deal is finally agreed.....

Gmack7
03-07-2018, 05:55 AM
my guess is we're due st mirren 33% of a fee up to a certain amount say 1 million.

My next guess is that agent cathro will be activated again and persuade wolves to bid highest

Ringothedog
03-07-2018, 05:57 AM

Their directors are only in interested their club and trying to get the best deal for them. Our directors are the same. We will negotiate and a deal will be agreed at a higher level than the opening bid. This has nothing to do with working relationships, this is business.

Allant1981
03-07-2018, 05:59 AM
if they came in with £2m plus allan i think we would be daft to reject it, imo allan is a better player and we are never going to get top dollar for mcginn so could be a good deal for us

Onion
03-07-2018, 06:44 AM
Celtic trying to lowball another Scottish club with derisory transfer bid for the most exciting player up here, and one that is expected to take over the mantle of captain from Scott Brown.

Celtic and Sevco are parasites. Would LOVE an English Prem club to come in with a £4+ M bid for John and either force Celtic to pay a fair price or lose out entirely. Would LOVE it.

southern hibby
03-07-2018, 06:50 AM
I think Hibs should stick to their valuation and possibly allow him to leave under freedom of contract if it’s not met, because of the following.

SJM can help us achieve a run in Europe rather than going out first round.

Can help us achieve better results in the league, which means more fans attending games as wins and good results help fill the stadium. Which in turn help sell more merchandise.

Higher league placing more money from Placing at end of the season.

Cup runs more money and more fans through the gate for these games.

But this is the big one for me. If we sell for a derogatory offer or not our valuation then we are allowing other clubs to know that everytime they fancy our player cheaply all they have to do is chuck us a bone and we’ll roll over and allow them to tickle our belly.

I personally would rather see SJM at ER next season helping us into Europe again by either a cup run or league placing than sold for peanuts.

GGTTH

BILLYHIBS
03-07-2018, 06:51 AM
For a quick sale 2m plus Scott Allan and Sparky 12 month loan.

:thumbsup:

Heisenberg
03-07-2018, 06:53 AM
I’ve no doubt that McGinn will want to go to Celtc. We’ll take the cash for him (when a decent offer eventually comes in) and move on. There’s no way Hibs knock back decent money for him to keep him for one season.

Sioux
03-07-2018, 06:56 AM
Celtic trying to lowball another Scottish club with derisory transfer bid for the most exciting player up here, and one that is expected to take over the mantle of captain from Scott Brown.

Celtic and Sevco are parasites. Would LOVE an English Prem club to come in with a £4+ M bid for John and either force Celtic to pay a fair price or lose out entirely. Would LOVE it.

We keep hearing about all those English clubs making big bids. Where are they?

Blaster
03-07-2018, 07:00 AM
We keep hearing about all those English clubs making big bids. Where are they?

Exactly mate. Hardly queuing up. Same in January when clubs are usually desperate to sign players. Celtic appear to be only club seriously interested and they know that. I think we’ll get £2m plus Allan

Col2
03-07-2018, 07:03 AM
Best case scenario (realistically) for us I think is:-

McGinn to smellies with Allan coming back and £2m cash of which £600k goes to St Mirren.

Mallan confirmed as expected

We spend £500k on Kamara.

We spend £300k on MacLaren

We bring back Barker on season long loan (maybe paying a little more than we did before to ensure he doesn’t go elsewhere)

With Slivka stepping up you could argue we will be well placed with players in long term deals as well.

CropleyWasGod
03-07-2018, 07:07 AM

McGinn to smellies with Allan coming back and £2m cash of which £600k goes to St Mirren.

We bring back Barker on season long loan (maybe paying a little more than we did before to ensure he doesn’t go elsewhere)

With Slivka stepping up you could argue we will be well placed with players in long term deals as well.We'd have to give StM their share of the SA valuation in that scenario.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

mjhibby
03-07-2018, 07:08 AM
I’ve no doubt that McGinn will want to go to Celtc. We’ll take the cash for him (when a decent offer eventually comes in) and move on. There’s no way Hibs knock back decent money for him to keep him for one season.

Not so sure about that. St mirren get their share plus unlikely to get someone as good with the money. I'd say unless the bid at least double plus Allan forget it. Sjm doesn't mind staying as its not affecting his Scotland chances and with mcgeoch away would make more sense not to sell him. IMHO of course. We are not in a financial position we need to sell.

KeithTheHibby
03-07-2018, 07:10 AM

Because they are nothing but pikeys when it comes to paying for players.

flash
03-07-2018, 07:10 AM
Not so sure about that. St mirren get their share plus unlikely to get someone as good with the money. I'd say unless the bid at least double plus Allan forget it. Sjm doesn't mind staying as its not affecting his Scotland chances and with mcgeoch away would make more sense not to sell him. IMHO of course. We are not in a financial position we need to sell.

He would mind staying have no doubt about that.

Zazu62
03-07-2018, 07:12 AM

With Slivka stepping up you could argue we will be well placed with players in long term deals as well.

We aren’t gonna spend 500k on a player

LancsHibs
03-07-2018, 07:14 AM

Fingers crossed for that to play out🤞

mjhibby
03-07-2018, 07:15 AM
I think the club would be prepared to risk that unless a suitable bid comes in. When Leeann was asked about his value a couple of weeks ago she said that his value was on the pitch.

We could bank a fee for McGinn which is less than we want or keep him and earn money through success on the pitch. Having the likes of him gives you a better chance of progressing in Europe, cups and finishing higher up the league.

I absolutely think he will be sold. But I’m confident the club will get a better deal than many would expect and the thought of him running his contract down won’t be in their thinking too much.

Unless nl has got a pretty good replacement I doubt we are in a rush to sell. I get the feeling nl is frustrated waiting for the transfer carousel to start. We have to get a proper bid for sjm before we can get the wheels in motion to replace him. At least the bid isn't a few days before the end of the transfer window.

Ringothedog
03-07-2018, 07:26 AM

I would accept £2m for SJM
AN other club pay the 20% to St Mirren
Hibs buy Scott Allan for £500k

This leaves us some money for a couple of more players

Heisenberg
03-07-2018, 07:27 AM
I would accept £2m for SJM
Celtc pay the 20% to St Mirren
Hibs buy Scott Allan for £500k

This leaves us some money for a couple of more players

There’s no chance Allan is worth 500k. I’d laugh them out of the room if they wanted that for him.

Ringothedog
03-07-2018, 07:30 AM
There’s no chance Allan is worth 500k. I’d laugh them out of the room if they wanted that for him.

You don’t think that a creative player like Scott Allan is worth £500k? wow!

ian cruise
03-07-2018, 07:34 AM
I've seen a lot of folk complaining that Celtic have just sold Armstrong for 7 million and are only bidding 1. 5 (opening bid) for McGinn but we're comparing apples and oranges here. 7 million, even 5 million is a huge outlay for Celtic and would be a large part of their budget, where as for Southampton it's pocket money.

If it was Southampton offering 1.5 for McGinn they I'd be more aggrieved however thinking Celtic would pay anything north of 3 million is pretty unrealistic in my opinion. I sure we'll get the best deal we can for John. Let's not make this another barmy reason to berate the club when we're moving in the right direction after years of mediocrity.

Heisenberg
03-07-2018, 07:40 AM

Not just now no. Celtc have no intention of using him and he’s in the last year of his deal.

InchHibby
03-07-2018, 07:43 AM
I've seen a lot of folk complaining that Celtic have just sold Armstrong for 7 million and are only bidding 1. 5 (opening bid) for McGinn but we're comparing apples and oranges here. 7 million, even 5 million is a huge outlay for Celtic and would be a large part of their budget, where as for Southampton it's pocket money.

If it was Southampton offering 1.5 for McGinn they I'd be more aggrieved however thinking Celtic would pay anything north of 3 million is pretty unrealistic in my opinion. I sure we'll get the best deal we can for John. Let's not make this another barmy reason to berate the club when we're moving in the right direction after years of mediocrity.

They 4.2 for Scott Brown a few years back and are a lot richer now as a club with no competition from the Hun mob. It’s just greed and keeping their stash in case the Huns do mount a serious challenge.

calumhibee1
03-07-2018, 07:45 AM

Allan’s value is a strange one. If he signs for Hibs then his performances here are that of a multi million pound player. If he signs for anyone else then he nearly has no value at all on the evidence of how much of an impact he has had at every other club he’s been at. I’d probably allow him to be valued at about £500k for the purposes of the SJM transfer which is way more than any other club would value him at. If Celtic are claiming he’s worth more than that then they can GTF.

Sioux
03-07-2018, 07:45 AM

Good luck with that one.

ian cruise
03-07-2018, 07:47 AM
They 4.2 for Scott Brown a few years back and are a lot richer now as a club with no competition from the Hun mob. It’s just greed and keeping their stash in case the Huns do mount a serious challenge.

What you call greed is just business same as we willbe doing with all our signings? Celtic may be many things but one thing they definitely are not is a charity to support other clubs by just chucking money at them unnecessarily. With Brown they had competition for his signature, for John that isn't the case currently. If other clubs were bidding I'm sure the opening price would be more than 1.5, which we've already knocked back.

Elephant Stone
03-07-2018, 07:48 AM

Out of interest, if asking for 500k for Allan would make you laugh, how much do you think we should ask for McGinn?

Heisenberg
03-07-2018, 07:51 AM
Out of interest, if asking for 500k for Allan would make you laugh, how much do you think we should ask for McGinn?

2/2.5m is what we’ll deal at I think. McGinn is a key player for us. Allan is nothing to Celtc.

Elephant Stone
03-07-2018, 07:55 AM
2/2.5m is what we’ll deal at I think. McGinn is a key player for us. Allan is nothing to Celtc.

There's a long transfer window to go, all it takes is for one other club to take an interest in Allan and then there's competition. How often Celtic plan to use him determines nothing about his transfer value if that happens. He's one of the best players in the league so I would be surprised if there are no enquiries

makaveli1875
03-07-2018, 07:56 AM

£4.5 million for a future Celtic and Scotland captain sounds reasonable to me

Elephant Stone
03-07-2018, 08:00 AM
£4.5 million for a future Celtic and Scotland captain sounds reasonable to me

If Celtic are the only team interested then there's no way he's worth anything near that at the moment.

calumhibee1
03-07-2018, 08:00 AM
There's a long transfer window to go, all it takes is for one other club to take an interest in Allan and then there's competition. How often Celtic plan to use him determines nothing about his transfer value if that happens. He's one of the best players in the league so I would be surprised if there are no enquiries

He’s only one of the best players in the league at Hibs though. He’s shown a few times now that he struggles everywhere he goes except Hibs which makes him tricky to value. His ability in a Hibs strip should make him way out our price range, but his ability in any other strip brings him back into it.

Elephant Stone
03-07-2018, 08:02 AM
He’s only one of the best players in the league at Hibs though. He’s shown a few times now that he struggles everywhere he goes except Hibs which makes him tricky to value. His ability in a Hibs strip should make him way out our price range, but his ability in any other strip brings him back into it.

He's not had a chance at Celtic though, through no fault of his own. He'd be one of the best players in the league if he joined Rangers, Aberdeen or Hearts as well.

superfurryhibby
03-07-2018, 08:04 AM

I would add a massive proviso here of Allan being one of the best Scottish players in his position in the League.

Allan has tried and failed with a number of clubs down south. I would imagine he is in a position to decide where he goes next? If he doesn’t fancy failing again then he will choose Hibs. Celtic will want the best deal for him, but like Mc Ginn, the final year of the contract makes compromise essential.

LancsHibs
03-07-2018, 08:07 AM
I keep reading on here the SJM is so keen to join Celtic, if that’s the case then our John should have a look on the KDS forum, it would seem that they aren’t as keen on him as he is allegedly on them.
Hopefully he will head south!

BILLYHIBS
03-07-2018, 08:09 AM
Brilliant logic Callum! Are you Gareth Southgates WC campaign adviser by any chance?

Brightside
03-07-2018, 08:09 AM

no chance.

dirtydirk
03-07-2018, 08:13 AM
I could see us selling mcginn to Celtic for cash only so it keeps everything straightforward with the sell on clause etc but then getting first option on Allan. Basically the same type of deal when Allan signed for Celtic. We all assumed Dylan was part of the deal but when he wasn’t, we conveniently made an offer a couple of weeks later and got him.

green&left
03-07-2018, 08:17 AM

If the rumored bid of £1.5m was true, who in the right mind would then bid £4m+. Surely the next bid will be £1.8m, then £2m etc?

A scary amount of pish being posted on here and social media with regards to this. There's a reason we're all on here and not in the Easter Road boardroom!

MWHIBBIES
03-07-2018, 08:18 AM
Football club in trying to get best deal for them shocker. Why are people surprised. 12 months on his contract, he's worth what someone offers, not what we think he's worth.

Treadstone
03-07-2018, 08:20 AM
Football club in trying to get best deal for them shocker. Why are people surprised. 12 months on his contract, he's worth what someone offers, not what we think he's worth.

I think he's worth more to Hibs than Celtics' reported offer.

superfurryhibby
03-07-2018, 08:22 AM
[QUOTE=underscore;5450835]no chance.[/QUOTE

Care to say what you guess Hibs will take?

I reckon 2 million will secure his transfer.

ekhibee
03-07-2018, 08:24 AM
I reckon 1.5 Million, if true, was just testing the water. If Celtic really are interested we'll get a bit more than that, maybe at a stretch 2.5. It depends on how often Celtic scouts were watching him I suppose, he wasn't particularly consistent last season but that's just my opinion.

calumhibee1
03-07-2018, 08:26 AM
He's not had a chance at Celtic though, through no fault of his own. He'd be one of the best players in the league if he joined Rangers, Aberdeen or Hearts as well.

He’s not really had a chance, but there must be a reason for that, whether it’s that he doesn’t do enough in training or what, I’ve no idea. Whatever the reason is, he doesn’t get any game time, so he’s failed there. He was in and out the Dundee team so you could probably say he failed there, as he did at Rotherham, as he did at WBA. All those failures make it hard to justify any sort of significant fee. The only saving grace for Celtic is that he plays like a multi million pound player for us and we want him, so they can ask us for a bit more.

calumhibee1
03-07-2018, 08:27 AM
Brilliant logic Callum! Are you Gareth Southgates WC campaign adviser by any chance?

I’m not quite sure what that’s supposed to mean?

superfurryhibby
03-07-2018, 08:28 AM
I reckon 1.5 Million, if true, was just testing the water. If Celtic really are interested we'll get a bit more than that, maybe at a stretch 2.5. It depends on how often Celtic scouts were watching him I suppose, he wasn't particularly consistent last season but that's just my opinion.

Agree, Mc Ginn is a quality player but he needs to show it week in, week out. At Hibs he got away with it, always offering graft and a physical challenge. At Celtic or anywhere else, he will need to up his game.

Carheenlea
03-07-2018, 08:30 AM
McGinn moving to Celtic would be a dull, but predictable transfer. Surprised that clubs down south are not coming in with any interest as he has all the attributes to play down there. That may come though, and fingers crossed it does.

Elephant Stone
03-07-2018, 08:31 AM
He’s not really had a chance, but there must be a reason for that, whether it’s that he doesn’t do enough in training or what, I’ve no idea. Whatever the reason is, he doesn’t get any game time, so he’s failed there. He was in and out the Dundee team so you could probably say he failed there, as he did at Rotherham, as he did at WBA. All those failures make it hard to justify any sort of significant fee. The only saving grace for Celtic is that he plays like a multi million pound player for us and we want him, so they can ask us for a bit more.

It's more likely that having Brown, Rogic, Armstrong, McGregor and Ntcham competing for his position was the reason for his lack of game time rather than him 'failing', nah?

EH54
03-07-2018, 08:33 AM
@Elephant Stone He found himself Failing at Rotherham, and Struggling at Dundee which is probably why he was never getting a look in at Celtic.

There is just something about Hibs that clicks IMO.

sauzee=legend
03-07-2018, 08:34 AM
I would simply tell Celtic...
“Do not contact us again regarding this player unless the offer is £5milion or more”

superfurryhibby
03-07-2018, 08:36 AM
It's more likely that having Brown, Rogic, Armstrong, McGregor and Ntcham competing for his position was the reason for his lack of game time rather than him 'failing', nah?

He wasn’t good enough to oust those players and claim a starting place ( or a place on the bench), that’s failure. You join a team in order to play football at the highest level you can. Allan was unable to do that at Celtic. No shame attached, but of course he was going to have to compete against decent players.

MWHIBBIES
03-07-2018, 08:37 AM
“Do not contact us again regarding this player unless the offer is £5milion or more”

Then we lose him in a year for nothing. That's one way to avoid st mirrens clause...

ElginHibbie
03-07-2018, 08:40 AM
@Elephant Stone He found himself Failing at Rotherham, and Struggling at Dundee which is probably why he was never getting a look in at Celtic.

There is just something about Hibs that clicks IMO.

I could be wrong but I think his failing at Dundee had a lot to do with how McCann played him when he did at all? Sure I heard one of his few appearances was at right wing back or something weird so of course that wasn't going to work

bingo70
03-07-2018, 08:40 AM
I don't see the relevance of him being out of contract in a year.

What good is that to a club if they want him now? If they wait till next year somebody else may have bought him by then or the manager who wants to buy him may have lost his job by then.

A year is as good as a lifetime in football now.

I initially wanted, or hoped to achieve £3m for him, IMO that's a fair and realistic price for him in the current market. When you then take into account i also want a decent sell on %, a player in return and the buying club to sort out St Mirrens cut you're getting a lot closer to the £2m mark and considering it sounds like Celtics starting offer was £1.5m, to me that sounds like we probably aren't that far away.

I'm expecting an exciting day today, if we don't hear anything from Hibs i think we'll be close to agreeing a deal, if Hibs come out and publicly dismiss the bid then the offer will have been miles off what we're after.

calumhibee1
03-07-2018, 08:42 AM

So he failed to oust any of them and get any game time. Therefore he was a failure. No shame in it and I’m sure it wasn’t through a lack of effort but he still failed.

IWasThere2016
03-07-2018, 08:45 AM
I'm pretty sure they will come back with another offer, this is where we find out if there are other clubs interested in McGinn, Celtc testing the water here with that bid, no other offers come in in for him and Celtc will up that price by a few hundred grand and will probably get the player.

Yup - we will reject a second and maybe even a third bid. The player wants the move - Hibs know it - and importantly Cellic know it and that we will sell.

I hope Dempster, Lennon and Petrie have enough balls between them to turn down every offer below the true valuation. If they don’t make a realistic offer, which they won’t till the last minute, I hope we get a few good offers from England. If they have to tell McGinn that he’s going nowhere, tough.

That won't happen. If we get to £2m and SA we will deal.

Brightside
03-07-2018, 08:46 AM
[QUOTE=underscore;5450835]no chance.[/QUOTE

Care to say what you guess Hibs will take?

I reckon 2 million will secure his transfer.

I’ll go for undisclosed. 😉

calumhibee1
03-07-2018, 08:46 AM
Yup - we will reject a second and maybe even a third bid. The player wants the move - Hibs know it - and importantly Cellic know it and that we will sell.

That won't happen. If we get to £2m and SA we will deal.

As we should Scott Allan in a Hibs strip is a more effective player than SJM.

Souter96Mac
03-07-2018, 08:49 AM
I think both clubs will be wanting to ensure this doesn't go on for too long. I can see the final deal being around £2 million, Allan perm, and a lad on loan for the season.

Elephant Stone
03-07-2018, 08:50 AM
So he failed to oust any of them and get any game time. Therefore he was a failure. No shame in it and I’m sure it wasn’t through a lack of effort but he still failed.

You said there must be a reason for him failing at Celtic 'whether he doesn't do enough in training or whatever'. The reason is probably that there are much better players there than him competing for his place - and if you don't know about whether he does enough in training then I reckon it's fair to assume that he's not getting a game because there are too many good players there. Not something that will have any bearing on his value as a player to other clubs.

Johnny_Leith
03-07-2018, 08:51 AM
I think both clubs will be wanting to ensure this doesn't go on for too long. I can see the final deal being around £2 million, Allan perm, and a lad on loan for the season.

Add in a sell on percentage and that's a deal.

Would prefer him to go down south but there's been rumblings about this deal all summer, so I think it's basically done apart from clubs agreeing the fee.

Jones28
03-07-2018, 08:51 AM
I'm hopeful Hibs will have offered JM a new contract on a bumper wage (or as much as we can afford), which will push his asking price up. If he were to sign a new 3 year deal or similar then it would a great piece of business for the club.

Hibs90
03-07-2018, 09:00 AM
£2m plus Allan permanent minimum then we can start talking otherwise jog on.

Sioux
03-07-2018, 09:03 AM

Come into the real world. Do you really think Celtic need to send a 'scout' to watch him? Those days are virtually gone. He's played against them often enough to take a view of his ability, not to mention hours of video being available.

stoneyburn hibs
03-07-2018, 09:03 AM
It will probably be an undisclosed fee. I'll guess around £1.5m with add ons and Scott Allan, or £2m with add ons and no Scott Allan.

ancient hibee
03-07-2018, 09:06 AM
I'm not clear as to why a player (Armstrong)with the same length of contract to go,fewer caps and a poor recent injury record is considered to be worth much more than McGinn.

bingo70
03-07-2018, 09:08 AM
I'm not clear as to why a player (Armstrong)with the same length of contract to go,fewer caps and a poor recent injury record is considered to be worth much more than McGinn.

I agree to an extent.

It's the way of the world that bigger clubs attract bigger fees, we benefit from that as much as anyone but the deal for Armstrong has to be the starting point for negotiations and then work back from there.

Suburban Hibby
03-07-2018, 09:09 AM
£2m plus Allan permanent minimum then we can start talking otherwise jog on.

think this is fair- not delusional and not robbery

ancient hibee
03-07-2018, 09:10 AM
I agree to an extent.

It's the way of the world that bigger clubs attract bigger fees, we benefit from that as much as anyone but the deal for Armstrong has to be the starting point for negotiations and then work back from there.

My thoughts exactly.

Bill Milne
03-07-2018, 09:15 AM
£4m + Scott Allan as a bare minimum. Any less, tell Sellik to take a hike!!

JimboHibs
03-07-2018, 09:19 AM

lol ok.

mjhibby
03-07-2018, 09:22 AM
He would mind staying have no doubt about that.

He's never once intimated this. He knows he will get the big contract and he looks loves playing for hibs. Don't be too sure he won't be here at the end of the window. Going to be a long transfer window.

GloryGlory
03-07-2018, 09:23 AM
think this is fair- not delusional and not robbery

Plus Celtic buy out the remainder of SA's contract.

snooky
03-07-2018, 09:25 AM
I don 't mind a club coming in with a lowish bid however, when the figure they start with is insulting then I would tell them GFO and refuse to even negotiate with them thereafter. The OF are the worse perpetrators of this sort of nonsense.

H18 SFR
03-07-2018, 09:25 AM
Peter Lawwell has quite a reputation of being a hard guy to deal with, the problem for him is he's up against the Tache and Dempster.

The Tache WILL get the cash!

1875M
03-07-2018, 09:26 AM
It’s a difficult one. For me, it’s vital some sort of sell on clause is included in the deal. We’ve seen the likes of Van Dijk and Forster move down to England, and now Armstrong. For me, an ideal deal would be 2m (bare minimum), Allan permanently and 15% sell on clause.

calumhibee1
03-07-2018, 09:26 AM
You said there must be a reason for him failing at Celtic 'whether he doesn't do enough in training or whatever'. The reason is probably that there are much better players there than him competing for his place - and if you don't know about whether he does enough in training then I reckon it's fair to assume that he's not getting a game because there are too many good players there. Not something that will have any bearing on his value as a player to other clubs.

If he can’t get an opportunity ahead of they players then he won’t be doing enough at training or else he’d have had more chances. Again, I’m not saying it’s through a lack of effort, but if he was showing enough in training to justify putting him in ahead of the named players then I’m sure he’d have had more chances. It’s only logical to presume that in training he wasn’t at their level and therefore Rodgers didn’t see fit to give him an opportunity. Which would make his time at Celtic a failure.

Hibbyradge
03-07-2018, 09:27 AM

I'm sure we'll get offered more, but if £1.5m is the highest bid we receive, then that's what he's worth.

As tempting as it might be to tell them to ram it and let him go for nowt in 12 months, that would be cutting our nose off to spite our face.

£1.5m is enough to pay for 2 or 3 very decent 3 year contracts.

Nicho87
03-07-2018, 09:30 AM
1.5 million and Allan and hayes is fair imo.

Elephant Stone
03-07-2018, 09:33 AM
If he can’t get an opportunity ahead of they players then he won’t be doing enough at training or else he’d have had more chances. Again, I’m not saying it’s through a lack of effort, but if he was showing enough in training to justify putting him in ahead of the named players then I’m sure he’d have had more chances. It’s only logical to presume that in training he wasn’t at their level and therefore Rodgers didn’t see fit to give him an opportunity. Which would make his time at Celtic a failure.

You said he 'struggles everywhere he goes' though, and seemingly think that this will affect his value? I'm saying that failing to get into that Celtic midfield will do little harm to the opinion other clubs hold of him. He didn't do well at West Brom or Rotherham but he did well at Dundee United, Dundee, amazing at Hibs but couldn't get into a double treble winning Celtic midfield. This idea that he struggles everywhere apart from Hibs is pish mate.

Real Emerald
03-07-2018, 09:33 AM
I'm sure we'll get offered more, but if £1.5m is the highest bid we receive, then that's what he's worth.

As tempting as it might be to tell them to ram it and let him go for nowt in 12 months, that would be cutting our nose off to spite our face.

I can’t actually believe that anyone is remotely happy with these sort of figures! After St Mirren get their cut we’re not left with much. McGinn would be worth more than that to Hibs by playing here for another season. Armstrong £8m and £1.5 for McGinn is utterly laughable!

Centre Hawf
03-07-2018, 09:38 AM
I can’t actually believe that anyone is remotely happy with these sort of figures! After St Mirren get their cut we’re not left with much. McGinn would be worth more than that to Hibs by playing here for another season. Armstrong £8m and £1.5 for McGinn is utterly laughable!

I don't think I'd be happy with just £1.5m or even £2m but the reality is we can't afford to let him walk for free. And letting him go for £2m and getting a player or two is a better situation than letting him stay for a year and get zero. I love McGinn and appreciate LD's line about his value being on the pitch, but for Hibs' best interests we need a deal this summer.

WestStandMoaner
03-07-2018, 09:39 AM

Have to disagree, if 1.5 mil is the top offer which it will not be but if it was it needs to be rejected, by the time we give St Mirren their cut it would be better to keep him. We will make the money up on another good season with McGinn playing for us. McGinn staying in my opiion would produce more season ticket sales and probably more walk ups.

As i say 1.5 is the starting point us hibby,s will need to watch from the sidelines because there is no way that will be the only bid for him, let the auction begin

superfurryhibby
03-07-2018, 09:41 AM
You said he 'struggles everywhere he goes' though, and seemingly think that this will affect his value? I'm saying that failing to get into that Celtic midfield will do little harm to the opinion other clubs hold of him. He didn't do well at West Brom or Rotherham but he did well at Dundee United, Dundee, amazing at Hibs but couldn't get into a double treble winning Celtic midfield. This idea that he struggles everywhere apart from Hibs is pish mate.

He didn’t do well at Dundee though did he? IIRC he played something like 18 games at Dundee Utd and that was a long time ago. Allan dodn’t make an impression at WBA, Rotherham, Celtic, nor at clubs he was loaned to when with WBA. His failure at Celtic is relative, fair enough.

However, dismissing some elses view as pish is pretty ironically pishy in itself.

superfurryhibby
03-07-2018, 09:44 AM
Have to disagree, if 1.5 mil is the top offer which it will not be but if it was it needs to be rejected, by the time we give St Mirren their cut it would be better to keep him. We will make the money up on another good season with McGinn playing for us. McGinn staying in my opiion would produce more season ticket sales and probably more walk ups.

As i say 1.5 is the starting point us hibby,s will need to watch from the sidelines because there is no way that will be the only bid for him, let the auction begin

What if McGinn wants to leave? Would it be better keep8ng him then. He’s going, and as 7nderscore has said, it may well be undisclosed fee. It would save a lot of consternation on here.

Personally, I don’t care. Me angsting won’t make a blind bit of difference, but it will help my post count reach the magical 3000 figure and that’s the only stat that counts for me.

Speedy
03-07-2018, 09:46 AM

Nonsense. Sometimes you just need to bide your time and find a buyer who appreciates the true value of your asset.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/921872/teapot-auction-shocked-bargain-hunter-John-Bartlam-American

allezsauzee
A bid of 1.5m should be treated with contempt. While we obviously lose bargaining power the closer it gets to SJM's contract ending, Celtic also risk having to compete with other teams for his signature as his profile rises. He should be an integral part of the Scotland squad in the coming season and his value is only going up.

Hibbyradge

I'm not happy with the offer.

Hibbyradge
03-07-2018, 09:48 AM
Nonsense. Sometimes you just need to bide your time and find a buyer who appreciates the true value of your asset.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/921872/teapot-auction-shocked-bargain-hunter-John-Bartlam-American

I agree.

The highest offer we receive is what he's worth.

GreenNWhiteArmy
03-07-2018, 09:51 AM
1.5 mil? Add Allan, Hayes and Christie or double your money and we'll talk

Celtic naturally looking to test the waters. Will be interesting to see how this pans out as I feel the McGinn money will contribute to any bids for McLaren and a winger.

Ideally we'd tell Celtic to bolt but as the best team in Scotland, they have a better reserve team than most first team's in the country so have many players we could and should be interested in so there's potential to do a deal that suits both clubs

BegbieHSC
03-07-2018, 09:51 AM
Acting just like the Huns with that kind of offer. Unsettle the player, and hope to force us into a panic sale. Exactly what the Huns did with Scott Allan.

They are the establishment club of Scotland, maintaining their stranglehold on the league by weakening teams like ourselves and Aberdeen, whilst at the same time, bitching about the quality of the league when they get pumped out of Europe.

Like the Huns in more ways than they care to admit.

where'stheslope
03-07-2018, 09:53 AM
The Celtic offer is maybe what they estimate they will get him for? And be sure it will be enough to unsettle McGinn, and when they come back with £2 million it will be accepted?
If an offer comes in from down south, Celtic will pull out of the bidding war!!!

calumhibee1
03-07-2018, 09:53 AM

He made 8 appearances for Dundee United, let’s not make out like he was immense for them over a sustained period. I wouldn’t even be surprised if alot of them were from the bench. He also didn’t start fairly often for a Dundee team at the bottom of the league. Quite how that constitutes doing well I’m not sure.

I’m Scott Allan’s biggest fan, I was desperate to bring him back in January and I’m desperate to bring him back again. But he has only had a sustained period of good performances at Easter Road throughout his career, nowhere else.

Real Emerald
03-07-2018, 09:58 AM
He made 8 appearances for Dundee United, let’s not make out like he was immense for them over a sustained period. He also didn’t start fairly often for a Dundee team at the bottom of the league. Quite how that constitutes doing well I’m not sure.

I’m Scott Allan’s biggest fan, I was desperate to bring him back in January and I’m desperate to bring him back again. But he has only had a sustained period of good performances at Easter Road throughout his career, nowhere else.
I agree, I also liked him as an addition to our midfield last year but how he will shape up as a replacement for McGinn and Mcgeouch is anyone’s guess. He also tends to go missing in games when things aren’t going well. I like him but think we could get ripped off with his valuation if we aren’t careful.

Speedy
03-07-2018, 10:09 AM
I agree.

And if nobody offered anything then he's worth nothing?

He has a value to us, if someone doesn't match that then we shouldn't sell.

EH54
03-07-2018, 10:13 AM
If we accept a mediocre offer because he would be free in the summer then I won't be happy. I would rather Hibs told Celtic to bolt than accept 1.5m for McGinn Hes worth more to us for another season playing in Europe competing for domestic Trophies. I think McGinn will leave this window but we shouldn't be forced to sell at a knock down price because we risk loosing him for nothing.

Hibbyradge
03-07-2018, 10:24 AM
And if nobody offered anything then he's worth nothing?

He has a value to us, if someone doesn't match that then we shouldn't sell.

In which case his monetary value to us would be zero.

I hope we get a huge amount for him, but we do need to sell him, even if the offers don't meet our expectations. Full size indoor training facilities don't come cheap.

When we sell a house, we hope for a huge offer, but usually we're disappointed and it's the buyer who determines it's actual value not the seller.

If other clubs come in for him, his value will increase. Hopefully that's what will happen.

Springbank
03-07-2018, 10:29 AM

I hope we get a huge amount for him, but we do need to sell him, even if the offers don't meet our expectations. Full size indoor training facilities don't come cheap.

When we sell a house, we hope for a huge offer, but usually we're disappointed and it's the buyer who determines it's actual value not the seller.

If other clubs come in for him, his value will increase. Hopefully that's what will happen.

I am glad you are not Leeann Dempster!

The posters above are right - John McGinn has a value to Hibernian Football Club.

If others do not match that (or in Celtic's embarrassing case, if they CANNOT match that, because they are not nearly as flush as they would like everyone to think) then they DO NOT GET John McGinn.

£1.5m is somewhere south of halfway.

They know it.

We (mostly) all know it.

And Hibs would be well within their rights to say he is worth more to us on the field than to sell.

Celtic will not get John McGinn for that shan offer.

Hibbyradge
03-07-2018, 10:29 AM
If we accept a mediocre offer because he would be free in the summer then I won't be happy. I would rather Hibs told Celtic to bolt than accept 1.5m for McGinn Hes worth more to us for another season playing in Europe competing for domestic Trophies. I think McGinn will leave this window but we shouldn't be forced to sell at a knock down price because we risk loosing him for nothing.

I'll be furious if he signs a pre-contract with Celtic on January 1st.

Hibbyradge
03-07-2018, 10:31 AM

The posters above are right - John McGinn has a value to Hibernian Football Club.

If others do not match that (or in Celtic's embarrassing case, if they CANNOT match that, because they are not nearly as flush as they would like everyone to think) then they DO NOT GET John McGinn.

They know it.

We (mostly) all know it.

And Hibs would be well within their rights to say he is worth more to us on the field than to sell.

They could get him for nothing next May.

bingo70
03-07-2018, 10:31 AM

Surely there would be a monetary value to keeping him and having a successful season?

We could also potentially offer him a new contract so he gets a decent pay rise for the next year and have a minimum fee release clause put into his contract for next summer. There'd be no incentive for him to sign a new deal like that now but at the end of the window there would be.

BegbieHSC
03-07-2018, 10:32 AM
Quote from Follow Follow, in their rage thread on McGinn no going to them - like that was ever going to happen 😂.

“He has the most catholic face in Scotland.”

In the fear of treading over much frequented ground, the Huns really are the **** of the earth!

Centre Hawf
03-07-2018, 10:36 AM

They know it.

We (mostly) all know it.

No one's saying it isn't a shan offer, McGinn is worth so much more. I agree with you that if they came in with 500k or even £1m then I'd rather just keep him for the year due to the fact St Mirren would take 30%. But the fact of the matter is if they offer £1.5m and a player or even £2m and a player. We need to have a serious think about it at that point.

McGinn is great, but while we may not be in financial difficulty or anything like that we need to make sure we get money where we can (especially after having lost McGeouch for nout) to continue pushing on as a club. Selling McGinn for something increases our chances of replacing him adequately and maintaining our push for the 2nd/3rd area of the table for the next few years. Letting him go for free only increases those chances for next season only (if his head hasn't turned) and leaves the task much harder after next summer.

EH54
03-07-2018, 10:38 AM
Yes I would rather he left for nothing in the summer then our club be bullied into accepting an offer that's not good enough. I would not at all be happy with our board if we let another club walk all over us.

tonyrougier123
03-07-2018, 10:45 AM
there's no way the actual fee we receive in the end will be disclosed in any deal for mcginn if Celtic are the winning bidder.which hibs fans have a right to know imo.no felt this disappointed in a while!!I will say this though Celtic have had a good track record of facilitating us recently in any dealings we've had with them, so I hope they realise McGinn is the best Scottish midfielder around today and act accordingly!!

Hibbyradge
03-07-2018, 10:55 AM
Yes I would rather he left for nothing in the summer then our club be bullied into accepting an offer that's not good enough. I would not at all be happy with our board if we let another club walk all over us.

No one is being bullied or being walked over.

If Celtc are the only club to bid for a player who we have clearly put up for sale, then our valuation is irrelevant.

MWHIBBIES
03-07-2018, 10:57 AM
there's no way the actual fee we receive in the end will be disclosed in any deal for mcginn if Celtic are the winning bidder.which hibs fans have a right to know imo.no felt this disappointed in a while!!I will say this though Celtic have had a good track record of facilitating us recently in any dealings we've had with them, so I hope they realise McGinn is the best Scottish midfielder around today and act accordingly!!

Why are you so disappointed? We rejected the bid. This is how it works. We took him from St Mirren for less than he was worth as well. We don't have a right to know anything. We only have a right to expect him to be replaced properly and the club continue to move forward.

EH54
03-07-2018, 10:58 AM
@Hibbyradge (http://www.hibs.net/member.php?958-Hibbyradge)

In a way but we hold a valuation on him and after Lennon going on about 5 Million and watching him as a player over the past 3/4 Years if we were to sell short to Celtic I would be fuming. Conceding his valuation because he would walk free in the summer wouldn't make me feel any less robbed.

Hibbyradge
03-07-2018, 11:03 AM
@Hibbyradge (http://www.hibs.net/member.php?958-Hibbyradge)

In a way but we hold a valuation on him and after Lennon going on about 5 Million and watching him as a player over the past 3/4 Years if we were to sell short to Celtic I would be fuming. Conceding his valuation because he would walk free in the summer wouldn't make me feel any less robbed.

I understand your feelings and I'll share your disappointment if we don't get a hefty fee for him, but we're not in s strong position because he can sign a pre-contract in 6 months.

I remember how Gary Caldwell was treated after he signed a pre-contract. I don't want that to happen to SJM.

JimBHibees
03-07-2018, 11:03 AM

If Celtc are the only club to bid for a player who we have clearly put up for sale, then our valuation is irrelevant.

Also irrelevant if Celtc is the only club he will go to irrespective of whether other clubs bid more.

bingo70
03-07-2018, 11:04 AM

Our valuation isn't irrelevant as he has a value to us on the park.

He's not an idle asset that will just sit there gathering dust and depreciating in value until he leaves, every week he plays and contributes to us finishing higher up the league or competing in cups he is adding value to the club. If we feel we can't improve the club with the money Celtic are offering then his value to us outweighs the transfer value being offered so he stays.

IWasThere2016
03-07-2018, 11:19 AM

Peter Lawwell

IWasThere2016
03-07-2018, 11:22 AM

I think you have mistaken Radge's viewpoint - it is realism not desired.

We will NOT let SJM run down his contract - we will sell. The player calls the shots as to where he moves also...

Hibeewilly
03-07-2018, 11:25 AM
Wherever John ends up lets make sure we include a healthy sell on percentage to any deal.

One Day Soon
03-07-2018, 11:28 AM
Couple of things to bear in mind here.

There probably isn't anyone in the country better qualified than Neil Lennon to know how Celtc think, what they want and what is most likely to work with them when it comes to negotiations.

McGinn has two values - what another club will pay and/or exchange for him and what he would be worth to us on the park for another season. If Celtc want him they will have to offer a value in cash and/or players that exceeds the on the field value. If he leaves at the end of his contract we get nothing but we also owe St Mirren nothing. If he leaves in contract then the third that goes to St Mirren will have to be taken account of when setting the value of the offer against his value to us on the pitch for another season.

In a team of Petrie, Dempster and Lennon there is just no way we are going to get short changed. In other words if we deal, it will be because in net terms it's a good deal for us, otherwise we won't deal.

My tuppence worth on a deal: We want Scott Allan, Griffiths on loan for two years and cash - let's call it £2.25M. That's valuing McGinn at just over £3m, which is about fair enough I reckon.

Oh and Celtc, pay St Mirren for us would you, there's a good vampire.

Hibbyradge
03-07-2018, 11:29 AM
Our valuation isn't irrelevant as he has a value to us on the park.

He's not an idle asset that will just sit there gathering dust and depreciating in value until he leaves, every week he plays and contributes to us finishing higher up the league or competing in cups he is adding value to the club. If we feel we can't improve the club with the money Celtic are offering then his value to us outweighs the transfer value being offered so he stays.

That's true.

How much we need to improve the team, or even keep it on an even keel, only Neil Lennon knows.

It's all academic anyway. I'm sure we'll receive a higher offer which we'll accept. I hope it's not from Celtc though.

edinburghhibee
03-07-2018, 11:35 AM
Anyone else take the £1.5m + Allan perm + mcginn loaned back for the season??

BegbieHSC
03-07-2018, 11:38 AM

Make it £2.5m + Allan, Sparky, and McGinn loaned back for the season and you have yourself a deal!

scoopyboy
03-07-2018, 11:42 AM

I would but don't see it happening.

Why would Celtic want to do that when they could save themselves a fee by just getting a pre signed in January.

Liberal Hibby
03-07-2018, 11:42 AM
Does anyone actually know what St Mirren's cut is? Or is the 1/3rd thing this year's £150k for Leigh Griffiths from Wolves?

JimBHibees
03-07-2018, 11:44 AM
Does anyone actually know what St Mirren's cut is? Or is the 1/3rd thing this year's £150k for Leigh Griffiths from Wolves?

The St Mirren owner at the time indicated it was 33% however he was under extreme pressure from fans so it is possible he may have exaggerated the figure.

JimBHibees
03-07-2018, 11:45 AM
I would but don't see it happening.

Why would Celtic want to do that when they could save themselves a fee by just getting a pre signed in January.

To stop another team buying him.

Lago
03-07-2018, 11:46 AM
I agree.

And at the moment it's the only offer received, unless someone knows differently.

Captain Trips
03-07-2018, 11:47 AM

What if bid was 100k?

BegbieHSC
03-07-2018, 11:48 AM

And tbh, we have a history of developing players, and Celtic picking them up. Our board, tbh, have good relations with Celtic, and both parties have benefited from this. As much as I hate it, there is likely a desire to maintain decent relations, so Celtic loaning him back isn't beyond the realms of possibility.

scoopyboy
03-07-2018, 11:49 AM

They could simply do that by getting a message to him via his agent not to sign for anyone, let his contract run down and they would offer him £x to sign for them .

If Celtic sign him it will be to use him, not loan back to us.

BegbieHSC
And tbh, we have a history of developing players, and Celtic picking them up. Our board, tbh, have good relations with Celtic, and both parties have benefited from this. As much as I hate it, there is likely a desire to maintain decent relations, so Celtic loaning him back isn't beyond the realms of possibility.

In saying that, I would much rather we ****ed Celtic over, and sold him down South.

offshorehibby

It became a .net fact cause people want to believe the St Mirren chairman over their own chairman who stated it was nowhere near 33%

HoboHarry
It became a .net fact cause people want to believe the St Mirren chairman over their own chairman who stated it was nowhere near 33%
:agree:

calumhibee1
03-07-2018, 11:53 AM
In saying that, I would much rather we ****ed Celtic over, and sold him down South.

Even if it meant we didn’t get Scott Allan back?

Ideal scenario for me would be he goes down south and we still get Allan, but I reckon that Allan coming to Hibs will hinge on SJM going to Celtic. In that case, if the money is right, I’m happy for him to go.

FilipinoHibs
03-07-2018, 11:54 AM

with a year to run £2 mill plus Allan.

Hibs4185
03-07-2018, 11:58 AM

SJM hasn’t been put up for sale. He is a contracted footballer to Hibernian FC. LD has previously said there is no need to sell him.

We have an asset of a footballer and someone who can contribute to our continued success on and off the pitch.

We should only sell if an offer is on our terms and if we run the risk of losing him for nothing next year than so be it. We have no need to accept paltry offers.

JimBHibees
03-07-2018, 12:10 PM
They could simply do that by getting a message to him via his agent not to sign for anyone, let his contract run down and they would offer him £x to sign for them .

If Celtic sign him it will be to use him, not loan back to us.

Yes that would work as long as he didnt consider other offers if for example an EPL team came in for him.

SquashedFrogg
03-07-2018, 12:13 PM
Actually a wee bit disappointed he didn't sign an extension. He was always going to a get a move but it would've been a nice for the club to get a more appropriate fee.

Hey ho, it is what it is I guess.

Hermit Crab
03-07-2018, 12:25 PM

Then we'd lose him for nothing and miss out on Allan as well.

ancient hibee
03-07-2018, 12:25 PM

Apart from the fact that every player in Scotland is for sale Hibs have not clearly put McGinn up for sale quite the reverse.
If St Mirren should get a third that reduces our take to £1M.If we are good enough to get into the third round in Europe,quite possible if McGinn remains,that will be worth more than £1M so no loss to keep him.
Don’t think this will unsettle him in the slightest-it’s been going on since he arrived.

Deejk107
03-07-2018, 12:34 PM
Honestly can someone please explain to me why Hibs fans are debating the price of McGinn here, seen folk call other folk delusional for their valuation of him when their valuation is closer to the Club itself.

How is it fair to only expect £2m plus Allan for McGinn when Allan is worth 200K at most and Celtic paid £4m for Scott Brown 11 years ago?! Especially considering Brown 11 years ago couldn't lace McGinn's boots in my honest opinion. People seem too happy to take pennies from this mob, sad times.

Springbank
03-07-2018, 12:51 PM
Honestly can someone please explain to me why Hibs fans are debating the price of McGinn here, seen folk call other folk delusional for their valuation of him when their valuation is closer to the Club itself.

How is it fair to only expect £2m plus Allan for McGinn when Allan is worth 200K at most and Celtic paid £4m for Scott Brown 11 years ago?! Especially considering Brown 11 years ago couldn't lace McGinn's boots in my honest opinion. People seem too happy to take pennies from this mob, sad times.

Agreed

Thankfully Hibs board and management are on a war footing with this one

Forza Fred
03-07-2018, 12:52 PM
As always I could be wrong, but it appears to me that SJM wants to go to Celtic, and nobody else.

Given his emotional and indeed family connection with Celtic, his home city being Glasgow and presumably his family being there, one can grudgingly understand his preference to play for Celtic than some English Championship club.

That puts Hibs at a disadvantage as no ‘auction’. will eventuate, and it will be a case of ‘take what is on offer’ or wait for the inevitable ‘pre contract’ signing in January, and SJM leaving for nowt at the end of the current season.

FWIW I think a transfer will go through before the start of the season, but undoubtedly some will be unhappy with the fee accepted.

MWHIBBIES
03-07-2018, 12:57 PM

Brown 11 years ago was probably better, had years on his contract and had more competition for his signature.

I can give 100 examples of players with only a year on their deal going for less than they would normally be worth. McGinn is no exception. Toni Kroos, Robin Van Persie and Thiago are recent famous ones. RVP was the best striker in the world and went for 20 million.

Its nothing to do with taking pennies from that mob, he will walk for nothing in 12 months. 2.5/3 million would be massive money to Hibs. We could do serious things with that. We're not getting 4+.

bingo70
03-07-2018, 12:58 PM
As always I could be wrong, but it appears to me that SJM wants to go to Celtic, and nobody else.

Given his emotional and indeed family connection with Celtic, his home city being Glasgow and presumably his family being there, one can grudgingly understand his preference to play for Celtic than some English Championship club.

That puts Hibs at a disadvantage as no ‘auction’. will eventuate, and it will be a case of ‘take what is on offer’ or wait for the inevitable ‘pre contract’ signing in January, and SJM leaving for nowt at the end of the current season.

FWIW I think a transfer will go through before the start of the season, but undoubtedly some will be unhappy with the fee accepted.

What makes you think he wouldn't go to anybody else?

BegbieHSC
03-07-2018, 01:00 PM
Conspiracy theory here: could Hibs have leaked a lower fee than was actually bid to the press, so that when he signs for a likely undisclosed fee, other clubs will assume we have less money, meaning that they won't take the pish for potential transfer fees for a replacement?

bingo70
03-07-2018, 01:03 PM
Brown 11 years ago was probably better, had years on his contract and had more competition for his signature.

I can give 100 examples of players with only a year on their deal going for less than they would normally be worth. McGinn is no exception. Toni Kroos, Robin Van Persie and Thiago are recent famous ones. RVP was the best striker in the world and went for 20 million.

Its nothing to do with taking pennies from that mob, he will walk for nothing in 12 months. 2.5/3 million would be massive money to Hibs. We could do serious things with that. We're not getting 4+.

£20m at the time was a significant fee.

I still think it's pretty much irrelevant he only has a year left on his deal.

There's probably a fair chance Rodgers won't be manager for Celtic the following season, why would he care if Celtic could get him for free then? What happens if another club bids for him this summer? What happens if he has an outstanding season next season and more clubs want him that will offer bigger wages?

Too many variables for a manager to just wait a year to sign someone they want now.

MWHIBBIES
03-07-2018, 01:07 PM
£20m at the time was a significant fee.

I still think it's pretty much irrelevant he only has a year left on his deal.

There's probably a fair chance Rodgers won't be manager for Celtic the following season, why would he care if Celtic could get him for free then? What happens if another club bids for him this summer? What happens if he has an outstanding season next season and more clubs want him that will offer bigger wages?

Too many variables for a manager to just wait a year to sign someone they want now.

20 million for the best striker in the world hasn't been a significant fee for 20 years. Bargain without doubt.

I'm not just talking about Celtic, McGinn is cheaper to everyone because he only has a year on his contract.

Its not irrelevant because if Hibs are going to sell him we have to sell him now. That makes it difficult for us because we have to an accept and offer this summer.

Lago
03-07-2018, 01:09 PM
Do people think that those in a position of authority at ER are actually going to do their worst for the club rather than the best? Because that's the way some of posters come across.

Deejk107
03-07-2018, 01:12 PM

I am sorry but I disagree with that, Brown 11 years ago at Hibs was highly inconsistent from my memory, his best season was the one he left us. Not saying he didn't get much better after he left but it took that move to Celtic for him to turn into the player he is now, I always remember being raging at how much better he was whenever they came to Easter Road.

I think that's a fair point about players having one year left on their deal but I'd also argue that all the players you mentioned were desperate to sign for the teams they signed for and there's nothing to say that McGinn is. RVP was 6 years ago, he'd be going for at least 40 million in today's climate.

Why shouldn't we expect Lennon's valuation of McGinn to be what we're offered? Why shouldn't we expect 4 million for him when lesser players go for more? 2.5/3 million could be great yeah but it's still not a fair valuation of what he's actually worth. If he was already there teams down south would be offering 15 Million plus.

SanFranHibs
03-07-2018, 01:29 PM
I don't see the relevance of him being out of contract in a year.

What good is that to a club if they want him now? If they wait till next year somebody else may have bought him by then or the manager who wants to buy him may have lost his job by then.

A year is as good as a lifetime in football now.

I initially wanted, or hoped to achieve £3m for him, IMO that's a fair and realistic price for him in the current market. When you then take into account i also want a decent sell on %, a player in return and the buying club to sort out St Mirrens cut you're getting a lot closer to the £2m mark and considering it sounds like Celtics starting offer was £1.5m, to me that sounds like we probably aren't that far away.

I'm expecting an exciting day today, if we don't hear anything from Hibs i think we'll be close to agreeing a deal, if Hibs come out and publicly dismiss the bid then the offer will have been miles off what we're after.

I agree. And if McGinn was to stay here and see out his contract then I don't think Celtic would have it all their own way. Assuming McGinn has a good year I am confident that there would be quite a few clubs willing to sign him for free.

But like most on here, I expect Celtic to pay more and Hibs to get the 'best' deal possible. Does anyone recall what their first bid for Brown was? Just out of interest.

But 1.5 million seems paltry to me, especially given the sell on clause and I presume there would be some tax (I have no idea how clubs defray 'profit' from player sales).

Getting interesting though.

Hermit Crab
03-07-2018, 01:30 PM
Hope this doesn't drag out too long.

HibbyDave
03-07-2018, 01:35 PM
Maybe we can offer him a much better wage and a contract for three years with an exit clause for bids in excess of xxx million?

Jim Herriot
03-07-2018, 01:36 PM

Onion
03-07-2018, 01:38 PM

10 yrs ago, Celtic were not as rich and dominant a force as they are today - a team that hopes and expects to make millions from the CL in the next few seasons. I doubt very much they thought Scott Brown would develop into one of their best ever captains.

In SJM they see a player that they believe can replace SB. If so, they should be prepared to pay a fee commensurate with such a key, valuable signing - someone who can play and lead in the CL. They are not buying SJM to warm the subs bench or act as a squad player. For a club that has such aspirations, £1.5M for arguably, potentially their most influential player is derisory. Fact he has 1 yr left on his Hibs contract is a factor, however, the net £1M that Hibs would get from Celtic at this stage is not worth it. We'd be better getting another season out of him.

southsider
03-07-2018, 01:39 PM
I agree. And if McGinn was to stay here and see out his contract then I don't think Celtic would have it all their own way. Assuming McGinn has a good year I am confident that there would be quite a few clubs willing to sign him for free.

But like most on here, I expect Celtic to pay more and Hibs to get the 'best' deal possible. Does anyone recall what their first bid for Brown was? Just out of interest.

But 1.5 million seems paltry to me, especially given the sell on clause and I presume there would be some tax (I have no idea how clubs defray 'profit' from player sales).

No Tax. Any profit offset against losses from previous years.

SanFranHibs
03-07-2018, 01:39 PM

Damn snipers :grr:

Onion
03-07-2018, 01:40 PM
Maybe we can offer him a much better wage and a contract for three years with an exit clause for bids in excess of xxx million?

You can be sure Hibs will have tried that.

SanFranHibs
03-07-2018, 01:41 PM
No Tax. Any profit offset against losses from previous years.

Cheers.

But had we made a profit the past few years? :greengrin

Onion
03-07-2018, 01:43 PM

Not exactly, but recall it was nothing close to £4M. Petrie played a blinder with that deal and we were all astonished at the final number.

CropleyWasGod
03-07-2018, 01:45 PM
Cheers.

But had we made a profit the past few years? :greengrinThese losses are historical, and go back a good many years.

On the McGinn money, any profit we make will appear in the accounts for 2018/19. If Hibs do their usual "undisclosed" thing, it will be the end of 2019 before we're able to make a stab at how much we got for him.

SanFranHibs
03-07-2018, 01:48 PM
Not exactly, but recall it was nothing close to £4M. Petrie played a blinder with that deal and we were all astonished at the final number.

I must confess I was surprised also. Was a good bit of business. Brown has been good for them but no way were we going to get that from anyone else. At least, that was my thinking.

McGinn? If the 1.5 bid is accurate I think Celtic will up it to 2.5 and Hibs will accept. But as I am talking about things of which I have no knowledge I would defer to a more reliable source. Where is TheCat?

:greengrin

SanFranHibs
03-07-2018, 01:49 PM
These losses are historical, and go back a good many years.

On the McGinn money, any profit we make will appear in the accounts for 2018/19. If Hibs do their usual "undisclosed" thing, it will be the end of 2019 before we're able to make a stab at how much we got for him.

Cheers CWG.

sambajustice
03-07-2018, 02:12 PM
These losses are historical, and go back a good many years.

It will be 2.25m plus Allan plus Celtic picking up half his wages.

FACT.

Springbank
03-07-2018, 02:18 PM
I must confess I was surprised also. Was a good bit of business. Brown has been good for them but no way were we going to get that from anyone else. At least, that was my thinking.

McGinn? If the 1.5 bid is accurate I think Celtic will up it to 2.5 and Hibs will accept. But as I am talking about things of which I have no knowledge I would defer to a more reliable source. Where is TheCat?

:greengrin

Wrong.
Everton bid £4.4m (same as Celtic) and the decision was left up to Scott Brown

truehibernian
03-07-2018, 02:29 PM
It will be 2.25m plus Allan plus Celtic picking up half his wages.

FACT.

I’ll go for £2 million, Scott Allan permanent on a 3 year deal, and Kouassi on loan. That would be my preferred option.

The Modfather
03-07-2018, 02:31 PM

My recollection is that it was John Collins who was integral to getting the amounts we did for Brown and Thomson, not Petrie. I’m sure I’ve read before that Petrie learned a lot from these transfers, and for all my criticisims of him, he has negotiated some very good deals for like Steven Fletcher etc.

CropleyWasGod
03-07-2018, 02:40 PM
I wonder if Celtic paying a contractor to build the indoor training facility facility would be a seperate negotiation on the basis the treansfer fee was lower. Avoiding having to give St Mirren a cut of an overall higher fee.

Even putting that up here would tip off St Mirren. They'll be on the phone to their lawyers right away......:greengrin

FifeHibs
03-07-2018, 02:41 PM
Deleted

danhibees1875
03-07-2018, 03:21 PM
Deleted

Hibs won't try to circumnavigate their way around paying st mirren what they're due with any dodgy deals.

FifeHibs
03-07-2018, 03:27 PM
Wouldn't say it is a dodgy deal. Was just a thought as part of negotiations.

WhileTheChief..
03-07-2018, 03:34 PM
We will treat St Mirren properly and pay them their dues without any underhand nonsense.

We tend do things the right way. Hibs class.

BegbieHSC
03-07-2018, 03:40 PM
We will treat St Mirren properly and pay them their dues without any underhand nonsense.

Stubbsy got us SJM. Wouldn’t want to screw him out of transfer money. Hope we treat them fairly.

brog
03-07-2018, 03:46 PM
My recollection is that it was John Collins who was integral to getting the amounts we did for Brown and Thomson, not Petrie. I’m sure I’ve read before that Petrie learned a lot from these transfers, and for all my criticisims of him, he has negotiated some very good deals for like Steven Fletcher etc.

It was 100% JC who played a major role in securing the fee for the twins. He also played a major role in us getting a good fee for Fletch because he forcefully persuaded RP to make Fletch our highest paid player & sign a new contract.

brog
03-07-2018, 03:56 PM

I understand the point you're making here but I think using RVP as an example doesn't really stack up. It's debatable whether RVP was the best striker in the world but it's not debatable that the total fee, £24m was the 2nd highest, behind Eden Hazard, paid by an English club that transfer window. That was outstanding money for a 29 year old so I'm not sure the 1 year left on his contract really came into it.

plhibs
03-07-2018, 04:13 PM
I’ll go for £2 million, Scott Allan permanent on a 3 year deal, and Kouassi on loan. That would be my preferred option.

Does Allan have 3 years left on his contract ?

Hermit Crab
03-07-2018, 04:14 PM

1 year.

Billy Whizz
03-07-2018, 04:14 PM

Doubt it, think he may be out of contract at the end of the coming season?

MWHIBBIES
03-07-2018, 04:20 PM
I understand the point you're making here but I think using RVP as an example doesn't really stack up. It's debatable whether RVP was the best striker in the world but it's not debatable that the total fee, £24m was the 2nd highest, behind Eden Hazard, paid by an English club that transfer window. That was outstanding money for a 29 year old so I'm not sure the 1 year left on his contract really came into it.

He just came off a 30 league goal season, he was an absolute monster at the time. 24 million really wasn't anywhere near enough for a guaranteed title. Do you really think Arsenal sell him to Man United if he doesn't have 1 year on his contract? It was the only thing that came into it. Same with Sanchez in January past.

I don't see why Hibs would be interested in selling McGinn if he had 4 years left. The only reason McGinn moves this summer is because his contract is running out. His value will only rise.

It doesn't matter if its Celtic, Derby, Barcelona or Forrest Green. Someone is going to sign him for free if he doesn't renew and we don't sell. That affects Hibs position and his price.

plhibs
03-07-2018, 04:24 PM
Doubt it, think he may be out of contract at the end of the coming season?

So we have to get him to sign a new contract I presume he wouldn't be against that:dunno:

03-07-2018, 04:27 PM

Think that's what Collins would like people to think. From a very reliable source, Collins was nowhere near the deals. Petrie 100% did the deals for both Thomson (£2m) and Brown (£4.5m).

Difference between calculating valuation on Brown and McGinn is the number of years left on the contract. More years on the deal the better deal the Club will get. With only 1yr left only way Hibs will get a reasonable price is if there are other bidders for McGinn.

03-07-2018, 04:32 PM
It was 100% JC who played a major role in securing the fee for the twins. He also played a major role in us getting a good fee for Fletch because he forcefully persuaded RP to make Fletch our highest paid player & sign a new contract.

100% it wasn't! Source two of the said players.

Springbank
03-07-2018, 04:38 PM
now I have no itk information here
just giving my view

I'd take Jason Cummings back, if it were a possibility, for 2 reasons

1) he always scores in derbies (he's Hibs Robbo in many regards) and with sjm and Dylan heading off we could use a derby talisman to dispirit The Yam.

2) he won The Scottish Cup.

Diclonius
03-07-2018, 04:39 PM
Cummings re-signing would put the fear into the team over the road.

trev the hat
03-07-2018, 04:43 PM
1 year.

So he can also be signed pre contract in Jan with no fee if it came to it.

Lago
03-07-2018, 04:46 PM

Your absolutely right, don't understand people complaing that Celtic are trying to' do 'Hibs & at the same time proposing to 'do' St. Mirren.
Plain wrong :confused:

sleeping giant
03-07-2018, 04:47 PM
I know it's just a pish rumour but I'd have Cummings back in a heart beat.
He scores goals and plenty of them .

Michael
03-07-2018, 04:49 PM
So we have to get him to sign a new contract I presume he wouldn't be against that:dunno:

Eh? It's not exactly unheard of for players to leave one club and sign for another.

plhibs
03-07-2018, 04:56 PM
Eh? It's not exactly unheard of for players to leave one club and sign for another.

Yea I know, just wondering how easy he would be to deal with re wages.

Captain Trips
03-07-2018, 04:59 PM
I do not think Lennon is a fan of JC.

tamig
03-07-2018, 05:04 PM
I know it's just a pish rumour but I'd have Cummings back in a heart beat.
He scores goals and plenty of them .

Maclaren would be my preference

tamig
03-07-2018, 05:06 PM
Yea I know, just wondering how easy he would be to deal with re wages.

Do you seriously think the club haven’t looked at this option to protect our position?

MWHIBBIES
03-07-2018, 05:07 PM
Jason Cummings premiership goals - 2 in 31 games
Jamie Maclaren premiership goals - 8 in 15 games

Jason scored a lot of goals for us and I don't think he be a bad option but Maclaren fits this side better, scores more goals, isn't anywhere near as selfish and is probably a lot more professional. No daft antics.

Captain Trips
03-07-2018, 05:07 PM
Anything less than £5m is a bargain, less than £3m is a steal.

He is every bit as good as £7m Armstrong.

brog
03-07-2018, 05:14 PM
100% it wasn't! Source two of the said players.

The players probably have/had no idea what happened before final bids were made. RP was very much minded to accept the 2nd bid made, about £4m for both. JC told him he was way undervaluing them. TBF to RP he listened to JC. When he received circa £6,5m for the twins it totally changed RP's thinking about future transfers which helped JC persuade him re giving Fletch a new, much more lucrative contract. It was without doubt RP who was involved in the transfer negotiations but before JC 's intervention, he had been ready to accept offers at end 2006. Remember RP is the guy who sold O'Connor to Russia weeks after our window had closed & when we were in a cup semi final against Hawrts. If he'd sold Broony, when he & Katie wanted to go, we probably would not have won the 2007 League Cup.

superfurryhibby
03-07-2018, 05:16 PM
Jason Cummings premiership goals - 2 in 31 games
Jamie Maclaren premiership goals - 8 in 15 games

Jason scored a lot of goals for us and I don't think he be a bad option but Maclaren fits this side better, scores more goals, isn't anywhere near as selfish and is probably a lot more professional. No daft antics.

Cummings featured in 16 Premier League games for Hibs, aged 18 and often as a sub in his breakthrough season. Agree with your wider point that Mc Laren is a better option, but lets be fair to Cummings. He made his debut as a laddie in November of our relegation season and we were *****. Mc Laren featured in one of the best Hibs sides of the past 40 or more years and was a full internationalist when signed.

Diclonius
03-07-2018, 05:25 PM
Record transfer between two Scottish clubs 10 years ago: £4.4m
Record transfer between two English clubs 10 years ago: £29.1m

Record transfer between two Scottish clubs now: £4.4m
Record transfer between two English clubs now: £76.2m

Sky money is a joke. If McGinn was English, playing in the Championship, he'd be worth £30m by now.

sleeping giant
03-07-2018, 05:26 PM
Maclaren would be my preference

:agree: would love Maclaren back.

Would it be greedy to have both ?:greengrin

ancient hibee
03-07-2018, 05:28 PM
Record transfer between two Scottish clubs 10 years ago: £4.4m
Record transfer between two English clubs 10 years ago: £29.1m

Record transfer between two Scottish clubs now: £4.4m
Record transfer between two English clubs now: £76.2m

Sky money is a joke. If McGinn was English, playing in the Championship, he'd be worth £30m by now.

It'll all come home to roost eventually.The TV companies have already reduced the price they'll pay for domestic TV rights.

weecounty hibby
03-07-2018, 05:29 PM
I hate celtic! No info on transfers or anything just thought I'd share that. Slowly crippling Scottish football. They will take in probably many millions in transfer fees, many millions with STs, many millions in merchandise, many millions in CL. Pass on as little as they can get away with to all other clubs in Scotland and take the best of their talent and then complain about lack of competition!

Captain Trips
03-07-2018, 05:32 PM
I hate celtic! No info on transfers or anything just thought I'd share that. Slowly crippling Scottish football. They will take in probably many millions in transfer fees, many millions with STs, many millions in merchandise, many millions in CL. Pass on as little as they can get away with to all other clubs in Scotland and take the best of their talent and then complain about lack of competition!

They are doing well getting good fees from down south about time somebody else did as well. Selling Armstrong for over 6m and then offering us under 2m is actually insulting.

Just tell them LD it's not a negotiation it's £5m and SA yes or no.

CropleyWasGod
03-07-2018, 05:34 PM
I hate celtic! No info on transfers or anything just thought I'd share that. Slowly crippling Scottish football. They will take in probably many millions in transfer fees, many millions with STs, many millions in merchandise, many millions in CL. Pass on as little as they can get away with to all other clubs in Scotland and take the best of their talent and then complain about lack of competition!Devil's advocate here.

What would you expect them to do? Being philanthropic towards other teams isn't going to help their own ambitions.

Turning it round, would you want us to pay over the market rate for players in the lower leagues?

Like it or not, and I don't particularly, every club looks after Number 1.

SirDavidsNapper
03-07-2018, 05:41 PM

That club have about as much morals as their Govan counterparts. Different cheek of the same arse. They wont care about robbing other Scottish teams dry while they are raking in millions. Horrible greedy club since around 1888

Chic Murray
03-07-2018, 05:44 PM

You could say the same about all the big clubs. And I dare say people below us in the food chain could say the same a out us.

Ozyhibby
03-07-2018, 05:46 PM
You could say the same about all the big clubs. And I dare say people below us in the food chain could say the same a out us.

Correct. Only way to a more level playing field is a salary cap.

Speedy
03-07-2018, 05:58 PM
Even if it meant we didn’t get Scott Allan back?

Ideal scenario for me would be he goes down south and we still get Allan, but I reckon that Allan coming to Hibs will hinge on SJM going to Celtic. In that case, if the money is right, I’m happy for him to go.

Sell him down south then bid £100k for Allan and remind Celtic they don't want to lose him for nothing :greengrin

brog
03-07-2018, 05:58 PM
I have a funny feeling Celtc could go out Champions League very early. They're missing 4 World Cup players. If that happens they'll be shopping ( relatively ) in the bargain basement also.