PDA

View Full Version : HSL Raise £4865 From Faroes Draw

offshorehibby
01-07-2018, 05:07 PM
We are delighted to provide an update to our Members, and those on a journey to Membership, for the draw for flight only tickets to the Faroe Islands.

The total sum raised during the relatively short period was £4865 and this will of course be handed over shortly to the Club to go straight to the Football budget. This on its own is great news but we are pleased with a couple of other aspects of this initiative:

We attracted over 250 new supporters to HSL who we hope in future may consider making a regular monthly contribution to the cause.
The whole initiative seemed to be relatively well received by everyone.
From our perspective it was easy to organise. The only issues we had related to our new web site, and nearly all of these were user issues.
A number of your Directors are away with their buckets and spades at the moment but we anticipate being able to make the draw early next week. It will be a simple process of drawing one name randomly from a list generated by Go Cardless with all those supporters who had donated at least £15 during the relevant period. The Draw will be supervised by two of your Directors with one independent third party in attendance.

As stated above this initiative appears to have been well received. A number of our existing donators have requested similar initiatives exclusive to our Members/Regular donators with a view to encouraging more supporters to step forward and join them on a journey to full Membership.

SouthMoroccoStu
01-07-2018, 05:14 PM
Fantastic drive and incentive

Well done to the HSL and everyone that signed up

Billy Whizz
01-07-2018, 05:20 PM
Brilliant result HSL
Good luck to everyone in the draw!

Hermit Crab
01-07-2018, 05:39 PM
Brilliant result HSL
Good luck to everyone in the draw!

Fingers crossed.

Billy Whizz
01-07-2018, 05:41 PM
Fingers crossed.

Who are you taking if you win😜

Hermit Crab
01-07-2018, 05:49 PM
Who are you taking if you win😜

Nobody, I want the two seats to myself. :greengrin

Seriously though, I haven't given it any thought as I won't win it anyway.

Big_Franck
01-07-2018, 06:29 PM
Did anyone else think they'd won this when they saw an email from HSL with the subject 'Faroe Islands Draw' in their inbox?

Decent amount raised. Looking forward to seeing what else they come up with in future.

Gerard
01-07-2018, 06:29 PM
Great news and we'll done to HSL

madhatter
01-07-2018, 06:42 PM
Good amount of funds to go towards replacing the outgoings from all the signings we've made...

Only kidding, well done everyone.

SChibs
01-07-2018, 06:57 PM
Don't get me wrong it's a great sum of money going to the club and a great initiative but is anyone else disappointed by the fact only 1 name will be drawn. I was hoping there would be 3 or 5 names drawn, don't really fancy my chances anymore!

Hermit Crab
01-07-2018, 07:06 PM
Don't get me wrong it's a great sum of money going to the club and a great initiative but is anyone else disappointed by the fact only 1 name will be drawn. I was hoping there would be 3 or 5 names drawn, don't really fancy my chances anymore!

Yeh I have to agree with this, a condition should have been only enter if you can definitely make it as well. No time wasters please :greengrin

CropleyWasGod
01-07-2018, 07:06 PM

Given that each seat costs the fans £550, that could be another £1,100 or £2,200 out of HSL's money. There's no guarantee that there would be sufficient donations to make that worth their while.

Hermit Crab
01-07-2018, 07:08 PM
Given that each seat costs £550, that would be £1,100 or £2,200 out of HSL's money. There's no guarantee that there would be sufficient donations to make that worth their while.

Well they could have put it out there saying depending on the amount of donations will determine how many seats we can give away.

DaveF
01-07-2018, 07:08 PM

It was made clear right from the start that it was 1 winner, 2 seats so not sure how you see it as disappointing now?

CropleyWasGod
01-07-2018, 07:13 PM
Well they could have put it out there saying depending on the amount of donations will determine how many seats we can give away.

HSL had no idea how it would go. None of us did. It could have been a loss-maker for all we knew.

Now that there has been a relatively successful trial, perhaps things can be done differently if we get to the next round.

SChibs
01-07-2018, 07:17 PM
It was made clear right from the start that it was 1 winner, 2 seats so not sure how you see it as disappointing now?

I must have just misread it initially or didn't see it as I was unaware there was only going to be 1 name drawn.

Saturday Boy
01-07-2018, 07:18 PM
HSL had no idea how it would go. None of us did. It could have been a loss-maker for all we knew.

Now that there has been a relatively successful trial, perhaps things can be done differently if we get to the next round.

Agree with the “relatively successful” ; some Jambo paid nearly that amount on a plastic owl.

There’s a lesson in there, but I’m not sure what 😄

CropleyWasGod
01-07-2018, 07:19 PM
Agree with the “relatively successful” ; some Jambo paid nearly that amount on a plastic owl.

There’s a lesson in there, but I’m not sure what ��

The owls are not what they seem.

(disclaimer. For Twin Peaks fans only)

SirDavidsNapper
01-07-2018, 07:22 PM
Thought it was a great idea and it's clearly worked. Well done HSL. Can see this really gaining momentum in the coming months

Saturday Boy
01-07-2018, 07:23 PM
The owls are not what they seem.

(disclaimer. For Twin Peaks fans only)

Are you saying Ann Budge is Laura Palmer?

Pretty Boy
01-07-2018, 07:24 PM

There’s a lesson in there, but I’m not sure what 😄

That Hearts fans are idiots?

It's been a pretty decent effort by HSL and it's a good sum. Everyone who has entered has a 1 in 325 chance of winning which isn't bad for a £15 donation to a, from a football perspective, worthy cause.

Saturday Boy
01-07-2018, 07:26 PM

It's been a pretty decent effort by HSL and it's a good sum. Everyone who has entered has a 1 in 325 chance of winning which isn't bad for a £15 donation to a, from a football perspective, worthy cause.

I was not trying to criticise the HSL offer, just trying to be a bit light hearted while watching the poor Croatia v. Denmark game.

Pretty Boy
01-07-2018, 07:29 PM
I was not trying to criticise the HSL offer, just trying to be a bit light hearted while watching the poor Croatia v. Denmark game.

I get that. My post wasn't a dig at you, just my observation after being unable to resist a pop at Hearts fans.

Saturday Boy
01-07-2018, 07:38 PM
I get that. My post wasn't a dig at you, just my observation after being unable to resist a pop at Hearts fans.

Agreed. They are a bit of an easy target.

Good start for HSL, with a limited time frame and marketing. Anything to help with the numbers.

Leith's finest
01-07-2018, 07:59 PM
Another idea for this type of draw £10 a pop get on team bus,tynecastle included or a day out at east mains type off thing,.would not cost a lot for the club to put up as a prize

silverhibee
01-07-2018, 08:01 PM

Singing section sorted for seats on the plane.

CropleyWasGod
01-07-2018, 08:03 PM
Another idea for this type of draw £10 a pop get on team bus,tynecastle included or a day out at east mains type off thing,.would not cost a lot for the club to put up as a prize

HSL have to be careful here.

It's not the club that are putting things up as a prize. They are selling things to HSL, and it's up to HSL to make it work, financially.

Anything else, and there could be VAT problems.

Billy Whizz
01-07-2018, 08:04 PM
HSL have to be careful here.

It's not the club that are putting things up as a prize. They are selling things to HSL, and it's up to HSL to make it work, financially.

Anything else, and there could be VAT problems.

No VAT on air travel, but VAT on a bus trip, is that right?

CropleyWasGod
01-07-2018, 08:05 PM

Just doing the sums here, PB.

325 at £15 is £4,875. Presumably the club have sold the seats to HSL at £5 each?

Pretty Boy
01-07-2018, 08:08 PM

325 at £15 is £4,875. Presumably the club have sold the seats to HSL at £5 each?

I've no idea.

I think the actual odds are 324.34 to 1 based on the known figures so I just rounded up. I didn't consider the published total may be less the cost.

Billy Whizz
01-07-2018, 08:10 PM

They did say, some paid a min of £15, so could be less than 325 in the draw

CropleyWasGod
01-07-2018, 08:18 PM

It's a bit more complicated than that. VAT is ***** :greengrin

The point I was trying to make is that if you ask people to contribute to a club, and there are things given in return, there will be VAT due on those contributions. We're doing it differently. We are giving to HSL, who then buy the service from the club. There may be VAT due on the price the club charge HSL, but nothing like the amount actually raised.

In this case, I think the club have charged HSL £10 for the 2 seats. That will be taxable, but not VAT-able, because (as you say), there's no VAT on flights. If it had been something like, say, hospitality, then VAT would be due.

To answer your question, though, there is generally no VAT due on travel. But, hire of a bus and (I think) a plane are VAT-able.

And you thought the Croatia game was boring.......

Billy Whizz
01-07-2018, 08:23 PM

The point I was trying to make is that if you ask people to contribute to a club, and there are things given in return, there will be VAT due on those contributions. We're doing it differently. We are giving to HSL, who then buy the service from the club. There may be VAT due on the price the club charge HSL, but nothing like the amount actually raised.

In this case, I think the club have charged HSL £10 for the 2 seats. That will be taxable, but not VAT-able, because (as you say), there's no VAT on flights. If it had been something like, say, hospitality, then VAT would be due.

To answer your question, though, there is generally no VAT due on travel. But, hire of a bus and (I think) a plane are VAT-able.

Thanks, never boring. Even at my ripe old age, always wanting to listen and learn

We’re fortunate to have you on here😄

Gibby the Hibby
01-07-2018, 08:23 PM
great work on the fund raising

cant believe I am watching the "long throw" to win chance to world cup semi.

OfficialHSL
02-07-2018, 08:44 AM

Open to ideas ?

HSL

Mikey
02-07-2018, 08:56 AM

I put in more than £15 and I suspect others did too, so in theory that reduces the number in the draw.

CropleyWasGod
02-07-2018, 09:04 AM
I put in more than £15 and I suspect others did too, so in theory that reduces the number in the draw.

... scrunches up fag-packet.....

Ringothedog
02-07-2018, 09:10 AM
Open to ideas ?

HSL

The next time you could try something along the lines of £15 gets you one entry into the draw, £30 gets you 2 entries etc

H18 SFR
02-07-2018, 09:15 AM
The next time you could try something along the lines of £15 gets you one entry into the draw, £30 gets you 2 entries etc

Great shout.

Mikey
02-07-2018, 10:19 AM
... scrunches up fag-packet.....

:greengrin

matty_f
02-07-2018, 11:31 AM

Did the club confirm that they were selling the seats to HSL (i.e. they weren't gifted?)

CropleyWasGod
02-07-2018, 11:34 AM
Did the club confirm that they were selling the seats to HSL (i.e. they weren't gifted?)

No they didn't.

I came to that conclusion, based on scribbles on my (now ripped-up) fag packet. :greengrin

OfficialHSL
02-07-2018, 12:00 PM

Billy
There were s number of people who kindly donated more than the minimum.

HSL

Phil MaGlass
02-07-2018, 01:28 PM

Dont hold yir breath but in Holland they are about to start taxing flights, 7 euro on short flights inside europe, 22 euro for middle distance and 40 euro on long haul flights, bassas.

OfficialHSL
02-07-2018, 06:19 PM
Ringothedog
Certainly worth a thought.
Are you sure this would address the concerns that you have ? We had some folks who donated £225. Had there been only two donators, you with your £30 and one other donator with £225 , under the system we used you would have had a 1/2 chance of winning. The alternative would have given you a 2/17 chance.
In reality we were simply trying to raise funds and have a little fun along they way. We do want to keep developing ideas and we are most grateful if people could keep putting forward suggestions. There isn't really a right and wrong answer but we do want to come up with things that are appealing and as we said a little fun.

HSL

H18 SFR
03-07-2018, 09:38 AM
Ringothedog
Are you sure this would address the concerns that you have ? We had some folks who donated £225. Had there been only two donators, you with your £30 and one other donator with £225 , under the system we used you would have had a 1/2 chance of winning. The alternative would have given you a 2/17 chance.
In reality we were simply trying to raise funds and have a little fun along they way. We do want to keep developing ideas and we are most grateful if people could keep putting forward suggestions. There isn't really a right and wrong answer but we do want to come up with things that are appealing and as we said a little fun.

HSL

Right, enough chat, let's get this draw done! 🇳🇬🛩

Speedy
03-07-2018, 10:10 AM
Right, enough chat, let's get this draw done! 🇳🇬🛩

Agreed...I've got a holiday request to put in :greengrin

Ringothedog
03-07-2018, 12:26 PM
Ringothedog

HSL

I have no concerns I was just coming up with more ways to entice fans to part with their hard earned cash 👍

LALthehibeeGAL
03-07-2018, 12:58 PM

On hindsight I think that's a great idea. It would have helped raise even more money as people would have "had a few goes"

Lal:wink: