PDA

View Full Version : Selkirk crowdfunding for Bobby Johnstone statue

Tom Hart RIP
29-06-2018, 10:04 AM
https://www.gofundme.com/selkirk-fc-bobby-johnstone-fund

Looking to raise £50k

tam4hibs
29-06-2018, 10:45 AM
As much as i would love Hibs to put up a Famous 5 Statue (west stand car park / corner of West FF or on the East concourse), i would much prefer any crowdfunding went into the playing budget. If £50k was the difference between getting Mallan / Allan / Mclaren or a statue i know what i would choose.

In saying that - some improvements around the stadium would be fantastic (akin to the Hibernian FC and Badges put on the West):

- Statues of FF
- New banner on FF (NL Aeroplane)
- Bars / food kiosk on the East Councourse
- Wording up / Hibernian FC on the East
- Staircase down from the top of the East to the concourse on the external of the stadium would be ideal!
- What ideally could we do with the 'car park' gap between the East & FF - a Fulham style building / hotel / office with terrace views?
- I alway thought of havng the gate at the west/ff as like the Gates at Anfield
- Lampost banners up from Albion Road to the stadium
- Hibernian on the roof of the stadium / great for a high view (flying in or Arthur Seat) / new flags
- Large TV Screens... Ads / replays / scores

All a dream like; wouldnt pick infastructure over team spending - but would be great if sponsors / businesses / franchises wanted to take this upon themselves at little/no cost to the club...

Treadstone
29-06-2018, 12:06 PM
Man City should pay this wholly. A city legend as well as Hibs. Scored in successive FA Cup finals.

snooky
29-06-2018, 03:36 PM
https://www.gofundme.com/selkirk-fc-bobby-johnstone-fund
Looking to raise £50k
Might be a good idea if they have collectors next to ER turnstiles on game days (or better still, inside the ground to eliminate rogue collectors). I would think there's a lot of fans who would prefer to toss in a few quid there & then, rather do it online.

BILLYHIBS
30-06-2018, 07:46 AM
Jimmy ORourke famously told the story that he was on a tour of Man City’s ground and at the end of the tour he Asked the tour guide where is the greatest player that ever played for this club? The tour guide looked at Jimmy and on recognising the Scottish accent said to him Ah ! You will mean Nipper! He took him to the marble staircase in the central reception area and there was a statue of Bobby Johnstone.

horseflesh
30-06-2018, 08:52 AM
Fantastic idea, anything that raises the profile of the club outside the traditional “fan catchment area” should be applauded.

Galahibby
30-06-2018, 12:17 PM
As much as i would love Hibs to put up a Famous 5 Statue (west stand car park / corner of West FF or on the East concourse), i would much prefer any crowdfunding went into the playing budget. If £50k was the difference between getting Mallan / Allan / Mclaren or a statue i know what i would choose.

In saying that - some improvements around the stadium would be fantastic (akin to the Hibernian FC and Badges put on the West):

- Statues of FF
- New banner on FF (NL Aeroplane)
- Bars / food kiosk on the East Councourse
- Wording up / Hibernian FC on the East
- Staircase down from the top of the East to the concourse on the external of the stadium would be ideal!
- What ideally could we do with the 'car park' gap between the East & FF - a Fulham style building / hotel / office with terrace views?
- I alway thought of havng the gate at the west/ff as like the Gates at Anfield
- Lampost banners up from Albion Road to the stadium
- Hibernian on the roof of the stadium / great for a high view (flying in or Arthur Seat) / new flags
- Large TV Screens... Ads / replays / scores

All a dream like; wouldnt pick infastructure over team spending - but would be great if sponsors / businesses / franchises wanted to take this upon themselves at little/no cost to the club...

Just to be clear, this is Selkirk FC trying to raise £50k to have a statue of Bobby Johnstone erected at Yarrow Park, it's nothing to do with the Famous Five one which has been talked about for ER. Would love to see that happen too though, but agree with you that it shouldn't be at the expense of the playing squad :aok:

Greencore
30-06-2018, 01:17 PM
we should set up a go fund me for a FF Statue.

Iggy Pope
30-06-2018, 01:24 PM
Jimmy ORourke famously told the story that he was on a tour of Man City’s ground and at the end of the tour he Asked the tour guide where is the greatest player that ever played for this club? The tour guide looked at Jimmy and on recognising the Scottish accent said to him Ah ! You will mean Nipper! He took him to the marble staircase in the central reception area and there was a statue of Bobby Johnstone.

Wonder where it is now.
I only managed to visit Maine Road the once (v Gillingham, pre-money) but I did get a pint in the Bobby Johnstone Snack Bar in the concourse.

CMurdoch
01-07-2018, 10:21 AM
Just to be clear, this is Selkirk FC trying to raise £50k to have a statue of Bobby Johnstone erected at Yarrow Park, it's nothing to do with the Famous Five one which has been talked about for ER. Would love to see that happen too though, but agree with you that it shouldn't be at the expense of the playing squad :aok:

Do folk still call Selkirk, Japan?

Scottie
01-07-2018, 12:39 PM
Cheeky ****** you must b a pail merk wi a comment like that :greengrin

BILLYHIBS
01-07-2018, 01:22 PM
Wonder where it is now.
I only managed to visit Maine Road the once (v Gillingham, pre-money) but I did get a pint in the Bobby Johnstone Snack Bar in the concourse.
Jimmy tells the story in his Q and A with St Pats Branch available on you tube.

:thumbsup:

Galahibby
01-07-2018, 01:27 PM

I think it was maybe Tokyo, and the residents were Japs? I was going to say probably not since the 70s, but the Borders is still about 100 years behind the rest of civilisation so, probably, yeh 😉

Billy Whizz
01-07-2018, 01:38 PM
Selkirk v Hibs Development team on Monday 30th July.
Maybe a wee bucket collection will be set up by Selkirk for this!

CMurdoch
01-07-2018, 06:18 PM
I think it was maybe Tokyo, and the residents were Japs? I was going to say probably not since the 70s, but the Borders is still about 100 years behind the rest of civilisation so, probably, yeh 😉

Why did the pail merks caw it Tokyo?

CMurdoch
01-07-2018, 06:21 PM
Cheeky ****** you must b a pail merk wi a comment like that :greengrin

:wink: I was for 24 years but can't ever remember anyone ever telling me why it was called Tokyo or Japan.

Galahibby
01-07-2018, 06:36 PM
Why did the pail merks caw it Tokyo?No idea what the real story is, am fae Clerrie [emoji6] The two I've heard are because of the two Japanese electronics factories that employed most of the town after the mills shut down, and the other was that a street in Tokyo was named Selkirk so that a mill there could produce knitwear with a made in Selkirk label. Who knows? I prefer to liken it more to Deliverance myself [emoji16]

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

O'Rourke3
01-07-2018, 08:23 PM
No idea what the real story is, am fae Clerrie [emoji6] The two I've heard are because of the two Japanese electronics factories that employed most of the town after the mills shut down, and the other was that a street in Tokyo was named Selkirk so that a mill there could produce knitwear with a made in Selkirk label. Who knows? I prefer to liken it more to Deliverance myself [emoji16]

Spent a year at Uni sharing a dorm with with a boy from Hawick. His only comment on anyone from Selkirk was "Thir aw Japs" When challenged..."because they look like Japs"

Galahibby
01-07-2018, 08:33 PM
Spent a year at Uni sharing a dorm with with a boy from Hawick. His only comment on anyone from Selkirk was "Thir aw Japs" When challenged..."because they look like Japs"Lesson no.1... never, ever, listen to a single word anybody from Hawick ever says :aok: :wink:

O'Rourke3
01-07-2018, 08:35 PM
Lesson no.1... never, ever, listen to a single word anybody from Hawick ever says :aok: :wink:

TBF he wasn't overly complementary of people front Gala either :faf:

Galahibby
01-07-2018, 08:40 PM
TBF he wasn't overly complementary of people front Gala either :faf:A day out of Hawick is a day wasted apparently... I'll let you make up your own mind if you ever go :faf:

Mibbes Aye
01-07-2018, 08:54 PM
Lesson no.1... never, ever, listen to a single word anybody from Hawick ever says :aok: :wink:

In fairness, you would have to understand it to listen to it :greengrin

O'Rourke3
01-07-2018, 09:09 PM
A day out of Hawick is a day wasted apparently... I'll let you make up your own mind if you ever go :faf:

Not on my top 10 at least not until they extend the railway.

monktonharp
01-07-2018, 10:01 PM
Just to be clear, this is Selkirk FC trying to raise £50k to have a statue of Bobby Johnstone erected at Yarrow Park, it's nothing to do with the Famous Five one which has been talked about for ER. Would love to see that happen too though, but agree with you that it shouldn't be at the expense of the playing squad :aok:Typical pailmerk

CMurdoch
01-07-2018, 10:52 PM
Spent a year at Uni sharing a dorm with with a boy from Hawick. His only comment on anyone from Selkirk was "Thir aw Japs" When challenged..."because they look like Japs"

Did he pronounce his vowels as per the following phrase

Yow and mei and a cup ae tie
translated to English is
You and me and a cup of tea

CMurdoch
01-07-2018, 10:55 PM
A day out of Hawick is a day wasted apparently... I'll let you make up your own mind if you ever go :faf:

I know lots of Gala folk who feel the same way :wink: ...........(to be fair it was a good place to grow up)

CMurdoch
01-07-2018, 11:03 PM
No idea what the real story is, am fae Clerrie [emoji6] The two I've heard are because of the two Japanese electronics factories that employed most of the town after the mills shut down, and the other was that a street in Tokyo was named Selkirk so that a mill there could produce knitwear with a made in Selkirk label. Who knows? I prefer to liken it more to Deliverance myself [emoji16]

You'll always be an ootsider :wink:
Your electronics factory explanation makes sense.
I remember lots of Gala folk working at Exacta and Sprague.
They probably saved the borders ass.

Galahibby
01-07-2018, 11:10 PM
You'll always be an ootsider :wink:

And quite happy to be! :wink: Working on a move back up the road, and it cannae happen quick enough, to be honest.

O'Rourke3
02-07-2018, 06:01 AM
Did he pronounce his vowels as per the following phrase

Yow and mei and a cup ae tie
translated to English is
You and me and a cup of teaSounds about right. It was the seventies :greengrin:

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

proud_and_green
02-07-2018, 11:17 AM
TBF he wasn't overly complementary of people front Gala either :faf:See again lesson one from Galahiby! Dirty Hawick!

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

Scottie
02-07-2018, 01:33 PM
:wink: I was for 24 years but can't ever remember anyone ever telling me why it was called Tokyo or Japan.

According to my auld man thats lived-in Selkirk since 1930 us Selkirk folk are called Jap's after the head case Kamakaze pilots. Term of endearment from the Pail's and the Terries by all accounts :greengrin

CMurdoch
02-07-2018, 08:48 PM
According to my auld man thats lived-in Selkirk since 1930 us Selkirk folk are called Jap's after the head case Kamakaze pilots. Term of endearment from the Pail's and the Terries by all accounts :greengrin

Yer dad will be right :aok:.