PDA

View Full Version : Corruption In The Game.

Thecat23
28-06-2018, 08:32 PM
Hope this link works, for those who don’t believe there isn’t corruption in football.

https://twitter.com/masters_jamesd/status/1012318012056260608?s=21

JeMeSouviens
28-06-2018, 08:36 PM
Wow!

Billy Whizz
28-06-2018, 08:40 PM
Hope this link works, for those who don’t believe there isn’t corruption in football.

Link not working for me

staunchhibby
28-06-2018, 08:41 PM
not working for me either

JeMeSouviens
28-06-2018, 08:43 PM

Thecat23
28-06-2018, 08:44 PM

Cheers for fixing it bud 👍🏼

Newry Hibs
28-06-2018, 08:45 PM
Beckham famously got booked so he'd miss an easy England match and be available for a tougher one.
Must be loads that do it. Maybe not ask the referee specifically.

Just Jimmy
28-06-2018, 08:46 PM
Not surprising but utterly contemptible at the same time.

He should be hauled into an interview room for match fixing and made to name and shame.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

McSwanky
Not sure you can really blame the ref there, the guy was going to do all he could to get a yellow so better that he gets it for kicking the ball away rather than going through some poor opponent that happens to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I seem to remember a few talking about McGinn going for a yellow last season to get his suspension out of the way before a couple of big games. Doubt that sort of thing is uncommon.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Thecat23
And to think some on here were telling us the refs aren’t corrupt and just poor. 🙄 There are refs just like footballers involved in match fixing etc and it’s been going on for many years and sadly still is going on.

JeMeSouviens
Cheers for fixing it bud 👍🏼

No bother. :wink:

One Day Soon
28-06-2018, 08:47 PM
That's nuts.

Newry Hibs
Seem to remember winning a bet on a mcginn booking

Thecat23
Not sure you can really blame the ref there, the guy was going to do all he could to get a yellow so better that he gets it for kicking the ball away rather than going through some poor opponent that happens to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I seem to remember a few talking about McGinn going for a yellow last season to get his suspension out of the way before a couple of big games. Doubt that sort of thing is uncommon.

Nah sorry, it’s blatant cheating. Doesn’t matter if the guy was going all out to get booked you can’t ask the ref to help and he defo shouldn’t be helping.

bingo70
28-06-2018, 08:48 PM
And to think some on here were telling us the refs aren’t corrupt and just poor. 🙄 There are refs just like footballers involved in match fixing etc and it’s been going on for many years and sadly still is going on.

That’s not corrupt imo.

The guy has said he wants booked, the refs told him how to make sure he gets booked and he’s done it.

If anything it was naive of the player for not knowing that anyway.

Thecat23
28-06-2018, 08:48 PM
Seem to remember winning a bet on a mcginn booking

If you backed Hibs to take centre and for the ball to be punted out the park most weeks you’d make a fortune on that as well. 🤔

Thecat23
28-06-2018, 08:49 PM
That’s not corrupt imo.

The guy has said he wants booked, the refs told him how to make sure he gets booked and he’s done it.

If anything it was naive of the player for not knowing that anyway.

So the ref helping the player get booked so he plays in the “big derby” isn’t corrupt? Really?

we are hibs
28-06-2018, 08:50 PM
Didn't Rooney do something similar? There was betting on him being sent off and he was

McSwanky
28-06-2018, 08:51 PM
Nah sorry, it’s blatant cheating. Doesn’t matter if the guy was going all out to get booked you can’t ask the ref to help and he defo shouldn’t be helping.Fair enough, I can see why you blame the ref. All I saw was the ref telling the player what to do to get a yellow card. Just like you see refs giving a final warning and telling folks what not to do if they don't want a yellow.

I think we'll have to agree to disagree on that one.

The player, on the other hand....

McSwanky
28-06-2018, 08:52 PM
So the ref helping the player get booked so he plays in the “big derby” isn’t corrupt? Really?He wasn't realistically helping him though, was he? Anyone going into a pitch wanting a booking can get a booking no bother in reality.

Thecat23
28-06-2018, 08:53 PM
Fair enough, I can see why you blame the ref. All I saw was the ref telling the player what to do to get a yellow card. Just like you see refs giving a final warning and telling folks what not to do if they don't want a yellow.

I think we'll have to agree to disagree on that one.

The player, on the other hand....

I blame both, the ref and the player both as bad as each other. Shouldn’t be happening but sadly is. A lot worse happens but very hard to prove!

Thecat23
28-06-2018, 08:54 PM
He wasn't realistically helping him though, was he? Anyone going into a pitch wanting a booking can get a booking no bother in reality.

The player should have just booted the ball away or pulled a player back on the attack. He shouldn’t be asking the ref for help and the ref shouldn’t even consider it.

McSwanky
28-06-2018, 08:56 PM
The player should have just booted the ball away or pulled a player back on the attack. He shouldn’t be asking the ref for help and the ref shouldn’t even consider it.I agree with your first sentence. And the first part of your second sentence. But once the question has been asked, what do you expect the ref to do? Maybe he should book the player for even asking? [emoji3]

Jim44
28-06-2018, 08:57 PM

I don’t think there will be many innocent enough to believe in no corruption in a sport worth billions of pounds. That ‘rat’ of an official is clear evidence that, putting players and blazers aside for a moment, because they will include criminals as well, referees are open to manipulating game outcomes and probably taking bribes to do so.

Stevie Reid
28-06-2018, 08:57 PM
Have heard many ex-players talk openly about getting booked on purpose.

Slight surprise at the way that Halsey tells it, but nothing earth shattering there.

ancient hibee
28-06-2018, 08:59 PM
The ref should have given him a yellow card for asking how to get a yellow card.Or even better a red card for involving the ref in a possible corruption situation.Or even better the ref could have kicked him up the backside.

Thecat23
Have heard many ex-players talk openly about getting booked on purpose.

Slight surprise at the way that Halsey tells it, but nothing earth shattering there.

Same, and many current players too. But to go and ask a ref is taking it further.

Skol
Thats not corruption. Its knowing and exploiting the rules. Doesnt make it right, but its not corruption.

Thecat23
28-06-2018, 09:00 PM
I don’t think there will be many innocent enough to believe in no corruption in a sport worth billions of pounds. That ‘rat’ of an official is clear evidence that, putting players and blazers aside for a moment, because they will include criminals as well, referees are open to manipulating game outcomes and probably taking bribes to do so.

Bribes are what’s running the game imo.

Stevie Reid
28-06-2018, 09:01 PM
Same, and many current players too. But to go and ask a ref is taking it further.

It is, but it's so easy to get booked deliberately via dissent or kicking the ball away that I'm amazed that the conversation even took place.

Referee could probably have booked him for ungentlemanly conduct just for asking!

Thecat23
28-06-2018, 09:01 PM
Thats not corruption. Its knowing and exploiting the rules. Doesnt make it right, but its not corruption.

Yes it is. If he’s gone out and went about getting booked then fine that’s on him. He’s now asked a ref to go and book him. That’s cheating!

Thecat23
28-06-2018, 09:02 PM
It is, but it's so easy to get booked deliberately by dissent or kicking the ball away that I'm amazed that the conversation even took place.

Referee could probably have booked him for ungentlemanly conduct just for asking!

Totally agree Stevie, another ref could have even shown him a red for asking him that.

Skol
28-06-2018, 09:07 PM
Yes it is. If he’s gone out and went about getting booked then fine that’s on him. He’s now asked a ref to go and book him. That’s cheating!

Sorry, its not corruption. Its a valid booking. Yes the player and ref dont come out of this looking very clever. But technically its the right decision.
Corruption would be the ref booking him for no reason because he wanted him to miss a crucial game or be available for a crucial game.

Thecat23
28-06-2018, 09:10 PM
Sorry, its not corruption. Its a valid booking. Yes the player and ref dont come out of this looking very clever. But technically its the right decision.
Corruption would be the ref booking him for no reason because he wanted him to miss a crucial game or be available for a crucial game.

No it’s premeditated which is wrong. The booking of course is correct but the fact they both planned it and agreed on it is cheating. Therefore it’s corruption. No way should a ref even consider helping a player out he should keep out of anything like that. In fact an honest ref would have told him to bolt or reported the player.

Skol
28-06-2018, 09:12 PM
No it’s premeditated which is wrong. The booking of course is correct but the fact they both planned it and agreed on it is cheating. Therefore it’s corruption. No way should a ref even consider helping a player out he should keep out of anything like that. In fact an honest ref would have told him to bolt or reported the player.

I agree its wrong but its nor corruption. If the player said I will give you £500 quid if you book me and the ref did and player paid up that would be corruption.

Thecat23
28-06-2018, 09:15 PM
I agree its wrong but its nor corruption. If the player said I will give you £500 quid if you book me and the ref did and player paid up that would be corruption.

It wouldn’t surprise me if he did chuck the ref a few bob after it.

Skol
28-06-2018, 09:19 PM
It wouldn’t surprise me if he did chuck the ref a few bob after it.

and if he did ,then its corruption. But we dont know that.

The ref though should be struck off (although I assume retired) but also showing such poor conduct could have an effect on future employment as his integrity is called into serious question

the player is a twat for asking, he could have got himself booked without needing to ask about it. Presumably it was Rudi Skacel.

Thecat23
28-06-2018, 09:22 PM
and if he did ,then its corruption. But we dont know that.

The ref though should be struck off (although I assume retired) but also showing such poor conduct could have an effect on future employment as his integrity is called into serious question

the player is a twat for asking, he could have got himself booked without needing to ask about it. Presumably it was Rudi Skacel.

That’s what I don’t get, it’s very easy to get booked no idea why he would even ask the ref. I think he is retired now. Ian Black or Rudi Skacel wouldn’t shock me at all!!

Skol
28-06-2018, 09:29 PM
That’s what I don’t get, it’s very easy to get booked no idea why he would even ask the ref. I think he is retired now. Ian Black or Rudi Skacel wouldn’t shock me at all!!

It shows a complete lack of integrity on behalf of both player and referee and also shows at least the player to be very naive and immature.

You would expect better from a referee, but for some players you can kind of understand if they come from a 'deprived' background, leave school early and find themselves earning obscene money.

Mikey09
28-06-2018, 09:41 PM
Anyone who thinks some refs aren't corrupt are deluded.

Ryan69
28-06-2018, 09:45 PM
Corruption is how most sports are generally run now!

Qatar got the world cup with alot of brown envelopes.

However....what is classed as corruption in sport?

England in a sense bribed Thailand for the 2022 vote.

Thailand did NOT vote England.....So England never went through with the game in Bangkok!

What scale is bribery acceptable?

Skol
28-06-2018, 09:48 PM

I have no doubt some refs are corrupt. I would be interested in evidence though.

IMO I would be surprised if refs I have seen are corrupt, but I wouldnt rule it out. Yes they make poor decisions. However we cant just say they are all corrupt just because we have seen a few poor decisions.

These guys have to make split second decisions that fans cant agree on even with multi angle slow motion replays.

There is more likely to be some unconscious, or even conscious, bias. But is that corruption ?

Skol
28-06-2018, 09:50 PM
Corruption is a form of dishonesty undertaken by a person entrusted with a position of authority, often to acquire personal benefit.

There was no dishonesty in the example quoted and there is as yet no evidence of acquiring personal benefit.

bingo70
28-06-2018, 09:53 PM

I don’t think refs are corrupt. I think there’s a natural tendency to stop and think about the consequences and some times after thinking of them they may stop and think twice before making a big decision.

I still don’t think this example was one of corruption either, if it was what did the ref get out of it? Surely for it to be corrupt the ref would have to benefit from making an alternative decision without undue incentive?

Seems a fairly normal conversation to me.....”book me ref”......”can’t book you for nothing pal, you’ll need to boot the ball awaynor something”.....,”good idea”

Maybe a bit naive by the ref but don’t see the problem, would rather a player got deliberately boooed for booting a ball away than risking hurting someone with a dodgy foul.

Hermit Crab
28-06-2018, 09:56 PM
If you backed Hibs to take centre and for the ball to be punted out the park most weeks you’d make a fortune on that as well. 🤔

Thats how Matt Le Tissier lost a fortune.

Sammy7nil
28-06-2018, 10:00 PM
I don’t think refs are corrupt. I think there’s a natural tendency to stop and think about the consequences and some times after thinking of them they may stop and think twice before making a big decision.

I still don’t think this example was one of corruption either, if it was what did the ref get out of it? Surely for it to be corrupt the ref would have to benefit from making an alternative decision without undue incentive?

Seems a fairly normal conversation to me.....”book me ref”......”can’t book you for nothing pal, you’ll need to boot the ball awaynor something”.....,”good idea”

Maybe a bit naive by the ref but don’t see the problem, would rather a player got deliberately boooed for booting a ball away than risking hurting someone with a dodgy foul.

I agree but the ref should put it in his match report and the player should get a two game ban - simples

Mikey09
28-06-2018, 10:03 PM

Been involved in many a bust up with Refs. I was once sent from the dugout by a ref I had history with. I asked why and was told just to go. Afterwards they made up some story between them that got me a six game ban. Some of them are corrupt at EVERY LEVEL.

bingo70
28-06-2018, 10:08 PM
Been involved in many a bust up with Refs. I was once sent from the dugout by a ref I had history with. I asked why and was told just to go. Afterwards they made up some story between them that got me a six game ban. Some of them are corrupt at EVERY LEVEL.

Maybe you should have more respect for refs then.

Having many a dust up with refs says to me you’re too quick to challenge them. They’re not professionals, they don’t have TV replays, just a bunch of amateurs giving up their time so games of football can go ahead.

That’s not corruption, sounds like they just thought you were a dick.

No offence

Ozyhibby
28-06-2018, 10:20 PM
Only happens with foreign refs. Scottish refs are all honest as the day is long.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180628/84cc2238101be1241d696da9bc184031.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

snooky
28-06-2018, 10:38 PM
The player should have just booted the ball away or pulled a player back on the attack. He shouldn’t be asking the ref for help and the ref shouldn’t even consider it.

Bringing the game into disrepute by deliberately getting booked. He should have received a lengthy ban. The ref should have reported the player's comments to the Disciplinary Board. He himself is guilty by compliance, IMO.

Is It On....
28-06-2018, 10:43 PM

My "ambition" as a school player was always to get booked but I wasn't good enough to manage it..😂

Carheenlea
28-06-2018, 10:49 PM
Players like Bobby Thomson and his ilk didn’t need to liaise with referees to ensure a booking or two. To claim corruption is just a wee bit over the top for me.

silverhibee
29-06-2018, 12:14 AM

Did the players have a punt. :cb

Captain Trips
29-06-2018, 12:50 AM
I just do not understand why he even needed to ask ref, there are loads of things you can get booked for and dissent is pretty easy and simple to do without asking ref.

CockneyRebel
29-06-2018, 08:12 AM

Taking the bold part separately, a little voice keeps saying to me "What if the ref is making this up or embellishing what really happened to stoke up a bit of controversy and get him on a few more telly shows? Or maybe he has an upcoming book to promote" .
Just call me Mr Cynical.

Mikey09
29-06-2018, 08:41 AM
Maybe you should have more respect for refs then.

Having many a dust up with refs says to me you’re too quick to challenge them. They’re not professionals, they don’t have TV replays, just a bunch of amateurs giving up their time so games of football can go ahead.

That’s not corruption, sounds like they just thought you were a dick.

No offence

I would always challenge them on big calls when I felt my team were getting a **** decision. Problem is they don't like explaining and justifying them. How long does it take to explain a massive call in a game? 5-10 seconds? Nah, some of them think it's all about them. Arrogant twats. Some of them are fantastic. Got on great with those ones. The ones who took the time out to explain decisions, not just to me but the players as well. So yeah I'll stick by my assessment of officials and say the arrogant ones who thought I was a dick, the feeling was mutual.