PDA

View Full Version : Player work permits

Billy Whizz
28-06-2018, 05:21 PM
What’s the exact appeal situation with overseas players being allowed to play in Scotland. Rangers are applying for a work permit for Umar Sadiq a young Nigerian player from Roma
He has no Nigerian full Caps, but 6 at under 21 level. Surely this sort of player is not within the rules as I understand?

Ozyhibby
28-06-2018, 05:23 PM
What’s the exact appeal situation with overseas players being allowed to play in Scotland. Rangers are applying for a work permit for Umar Sadiq a young Nigerian player from Roma
He has no Nigerian full Caps, but 6 at under 21 level. Surely this sort of player is not within the rules as I understand?

Pretty sure you need full international caps for non eu players.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Michael
28-06-2018, 05:31 PM
I can't see them getting the appeal - only young players with big reputations and transfer fees get a permit.

Juniper Greens
29-06-2018, 07:27 AM
I can't see them getting the appeal - only young players with big reputations and transfer fees get a permit.

Certainly wouldn’t expect a loan player to get one

Jim44
29-06-2018, 07:47 AM
The way they’re talking over on FF, it seems a formality.

CapitalGreen
29-06-2018, 07:49 AM

Didn’t stop us getting Benjelloun.

Billy Whizz
29-06-2018, 07:53 AM

Think rules have been changed since 2006. Anyway it’s up to the SFA to decide.....

Jim44
29-06-2018, 07:57 AM

Or Kamberi on loan for that matter. Switzerland is non-EU.

CapitalGreen
29-06-2018, 07:59 AM
Think rules have been changed since 2006. Anyway it’s up to the SFA to decide.....

In what way has it changed?

If I remember correctly Benji played and scored in a closed door game for Hibs in front of appeal panel members from the SFA.

“The appeals process

If an application is rejected, a club can then appeal to the governing body. An appeals panel will then weigh up whether or not the player is, in their view, of the highest calibre and whether they would contribute significantly to the development of the game at the top level in the country.

That appeals panel typically sits within three to five working days of an appeal submission, although urgent hearings can be convened.

The panel is made up of three representatives from the relevant football bodies, typically officials from the league, the association and the player's union.

Up to three independent football experts, made up typically of former professionals, also sit on the panel. A majority vote is required to approve an application.”

CapitalGreen
29-06-2018, 08:00 AM
Or Kamberi on loan for that matter. Switzerland is non-EU.

Swiss nationals do not need a work permit to work in the EU, under the Swiss-EU agreement on free movement of people.

Billy Whizz
29-06-2018, 08:05 AM
In what way has it changed?

If I remember correctly Benji played and scored in a closed door game for Hibs in front of appeal panel members from the SFA.

“The appeals process

If an application is rejected, a club can then appeal to the governing body. An appeals panel will then weigh up whether or not the player is, in their view, of the highest calibre and whether they would contribute significantly to the development of the game at the top level in the country.

That appeals panel typically sits within three to five working days of an appeal submission, although urgent hearings can be convened.

The panel is made up of three representatives from the relevant football bodies, typically officials from the league, the association and the player's union.

Up to three independent football experts, made up typically of former professionals, also sit on the panel. A majority vote is required to approve an application.”
Can’t remember much about the Benji situation, but the rules were tightened up around 2015 or so

CapitalGreen
29-06-2018, 08:07 AM
More detail on the Benji work permit:

"The 21-year-old has been training at Easter Road for 2 1/2 months while the club tried to cut through the red tape which was holding up his transfer from the Moroccan side, Moghreb Fes. He had not been eligible for a work permit because he had not played in 75-per cent of his country's recent international matches.

However Tony Mowbray, the Hibernian manager, successfully argued at a Football Review Panel at Hampden yesterday that the player had the potential to win full international caps."

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/12404285.Hibs_ease_striker_worries_with_signing_of _Benjelloun/

CapitalGreen
29-06-2018, 08:17 AM
Can’t remember much about the Benji situation, but the rules were tightened up around 2015 or so

I know the English FA changed their rules late-2015, have you got any details of the Scottish amendments as the process is different up here?

Billy Whizz
29-06-2018, 08:26 AM
I know the English FA changed their rules late-2015, have you got any details of the Scottish amendments as the process is different up here?

This is all I can see, worth a wee read. As per Kamberi, Swiss and EEA nationals have a right to work in the U.K. I believe

https://stv.tv/sport/football/1392526-explained-work-permit-rules-for-footballers-coming-to-the-uk/

Rangers also about to sign another player on loan too, but believe he’s played for his country of late!