PDA

View Full Version : Germany are out

PatHead
27-06-2018, 04:03 PM
Think this deserves a thread of its own. Fantastic to see them go out in the group stages. Almost as good as it would have been if Engerland had gone out at that stage.

oldbutdim
27-06-2018, 04:05 PM
Think this deserves a thread of its own. Fantastic to see them go out in the group stages. Almost as good as it would have been if Engerland had gone out at that stage.

Not if you had a tenner on them.

:boo hoo:

heretoday
27-06-2018, 04:07 PM

Phew! I was off to put a tenner on them and Djokovic in a double!
It worked four years ago.......

hibsbollah
Might be the end of the 'sweeper keeper' as well.

PatHead

Yes but you must admit it is good to see one of the big guns getting knocked out. Wonder if Brazil will follow them.

MWHIBBIES
Not fantastic in my view, want the good footballing teams to get far. Sweden are absolutely awful to watch.

stoneyburn hibs
27-06-2018, 04:10 PM
It will be refreshing to see another team knock England out on pens.

PatHead
27-06-2018, 04:11 PM
It will be refreshing to see another team knock England out on pens.

Made me laugh out loud.

Monopolyguy
27-06-2018, 04:14 PM
For them the VAR is over

Hibbyradge
27-06-2018, 04:15 PM
For them the VAR is over

:top marks

CockneyRebel
27-06-2018, 04:30 PM
For them the VAR is over

Ace

Topographic Hibby
27-06-2018, 04:32 PM
Might be the end of the 'sweeper keeper' as well.To be fair to the Germans (can’t believe I’ve actually said that....), Nick Colgan beat them to that award.

scuttle
27-06-2018, 04:47 PM
For them the VAR is over

Wunderbar

Kato
27-06-2018, 04:49 PM
Not fantastic in my view, want the good footballing teams to get far.

Germany were rubbish. Lack-lustre and seemed to be taking games for granted.

Mikey
27-06-2018, 04:49 PM
For them the VAR is over

Don't mention the VAR.

weecounty hibby
27-06-2018, 04:50 PM
I'm starting to worry that England could win this!!

nonshinyfinish
27-06-2018, 04:52 PM
I'm starting to worry that England could win this!!

9/1 if you want to take out insurance.

Hibbyradge
27-06-2018, 04:55 PM

Into 15/2 with Skybet.

Aim Here
27-06-2018, 04:56 PM

Trouble is, with Germany out, who's going to knock England out on Penalties in the Quarter finals?

weecounty hibby
27-06-2018, 05:00 PM

I don't gamble but even if I did I'd feel dirty if it came in! 😀

PatHead
27-06-2018, 05:03 PM
I don't gamble but even if I did I'd feel dirty if it came in! 😀

Would you still take it.

Billy Whizz
27-06-2018, 05:07 PM
I bought the wee lad i take to the football, a Neuer strip for his birthday today😬

weecounty hibby
27-06-2018, 05:09 PM
Would you still take it.

Of course, I would get over the feeling wherever money was concerned!!!

KWJ
27-06-2018, 05:14 PM
Spoilers FFS. There's a world cup thread and some of us watch the games back after work.

*shakes fist*

weecounty hibby
27-06-2018, 05:19 PM
Spoilers FFS. There's a world cup thread and some of us watch the games back after work.

*shakes fist*

I would be amazed if anyone interested in football could avoid this news. I was on the phone to one of my company's offices in Elgin, there was a bit of commotion in the background and the woman I was talking to says, oh that's Korea scored again, Germany are out. They had the telly on in the office!

KWJ
27-06-2018, 05:20 PM
I avoided it until checking here now that I'm home and about to watch the played games like I have all WC!

Hibbyradge
27-06-2018, 05:25 PM
I avoided it until checking here now that I'm home and about to watch the played games like I have all WC!

That's a shame KWJ.

Big news like this is always going to have multiple threads so probably best to avoid social media altogether.

27-06-2018, 05:26 PM
Trouble is, with Germany out, who's going to knock England out on Penalties in the Quarter finals?

With any luck Gareth Southgate has been teaching them how to take a penalty.

KWJ
27-06-2018, 05:35 PM
That's a shame KWJ.

Big news like this is always going to have multiple threads so probably best to avoid social media altogether.

Aye, had been fine up to now. Console masel wi the Brazil game, may even nip to the pub for it.

Keith_M
27-06-2018, 05:36 PM
ABEoG

:-)

WeeRussell
27-06-2018, 05:37 PM
I would be amazed if anyone interested in football could avoid this news. I was on the phone to one of my company's offices in Elgin, there was a bit of commotion in the background and the woman I was talking to says, oh that's Korea scored again, Germany are out. They had the telly on in the office!

They didn’t in my office but erm.. one of us did :)

Hi Heid Yin
27-06-2018, 06:52 PM
Absolutely the best thing to happen during this world cup. I so love to see Germany (not to mention Argentina) beaten.
Well done South Korea!

Hi Heid Yin
27-06-2018, 06:53 PM
For them the VAR is over

:tee hee::tee hee:

Hi Heid Yin
27-06-2018, 06:54 PM
Don't mention the VAR.

Hibrandenburg
27-06-2018, 06:57 PM

*shakes fist*

Internet alert!!!!! If you want to avoid certain information then don't log on to the internet!!!!

Eyrie
27-06-2018, 07:40 PM
Might be the end of the 'sweeper keeper' as well.

Certainly the end of the "winger keeper" after the way that Neuer lost possession at the end.

theonlywayisup
27-06-2018, 08:50 PM
https://cdn.images.dailystar.co.uk/dynamic/204/photos/712000/620x/Leroy-Sane-710252.jpg

Why didn't they pick him?

WeeRussell
28-06-2018, 11:35 AM
Absolutely the best thing to happen during this world cup. I so love to see Germany (not to mention Argentina) beaten.
Well done South Korea!

How come? I quite like to see underdogs do well against the so-called bigger teams, but haven't really anything against Germany in particular. And as long as Messi is playing for them, I can't help but want the Argies to do well.

superfurryhibby
28-06-2018, 11:42 AM
How come? I quite like to see underdogs do well against the so-called bigger teams, but haven't really anything against Germany in particular. And as long as Messi is playing for them, I can't help but want the Argies to do well.

Generally speaking that is my international footballing rule of thumb too. However, I make exceptions for any game involving England, and to a lesser extent Germany.

With the Germans i suspect my childhood prejudices continue to influence my adult sporting ones. When I was a laddie the war wasn’t that far back in time and I, like many other boys, loved the Victor and Commando comics. Both my grandfathers saw service throughout WW2 and in my house there was some anti-German sentiment.

I should add that the Germans haven’t always been a team that plays with flair. Winners, but not always entertainers. That also influences my sporting preferences.

WoreTheGreen
28-06-2018, 12:03 PM

You started it

KeithTheHibby
28-06-2018, 12:30 PM
Germany were piss poor the whole competition.

In a game they had to win yesterday they played with zero urgency. Surely the manager is responsible for how he asks his team to play?

Some of their big players never turned up either. Muller, Ozil and Werner were dreadful.

The competition will be better for them being out.

MWHIBBIES
28-06-2018, 12:32 PM
https://cdn.images.dailystar.co.uk/dynamic/204/photos/712000/620x/Leroy-Sane-710252.jpg

Why didn't they pick him?

Because he's actually been rubbish for Germany and inconsistent for City. He's a very talented player but he isn't some saviour. Even if they'd picked him he wouldn't have started.

Keith_M
28-06-2018, 12:45 PM
The last World Cup in which Germany (or West Germany) failed to progress past the first round was 1938.

Remind me again, how did they react to that?

:wink:

WoreTheGreen
28-06-2018, 01:18 PM
You started it

“No i never you invaded Poland”

IGRIGI
28-06-2018, 01:22 PM

Rule Britannia and all that.

Smartie
28-06-2018, 01:24 PM
Germany were piss poor the whole competition.

In a game they had to win yesterday they played with zero urgency. Surely the manager is responsible for how he asks his team to play?

Some of their big players never turned up either. Muller, Ozil and Werner were dreadful.

The competition will be better for them being out.

I thought they played ok stuff in patches yesterday, but Werner was honking. If they'd had a Miroslav Klose (unspectacular player but could take a chance when it came his way) then they might have got through.

RoslinInstHibby
28-06-2018, 01:38 PM
Because he's actually been rubbish for Germany and inconsistent for City. He's a very talented player but he isn't some saviour. Even if they'd picked him he wouldn't have started.

he would have provided the pace they were lacking, I agree though....not the saviour that some (not on this board) are making out he would have been

Eyrie
28-06-2018, 07:08 PM
The last World Cup in which Germany (or West Germany) failed to progress past the first round was 1938.

Remind me again, how did they react to that?

:wink:

I believe that it ended badly on the banks of the Volga, although at least this time they did get across.

Hi Heid Yin
29-06-2018, 05:13 PM

My forces back ground, my upbringing, and my age (born 12 years after the war) influence my thoughts on Germany.
The Germans, on the whole, have a self-assumed, ingrained superior attitude and are notoriously arrogant as a people: thinking nothing of commandeering sun loungers and whole beaches in the med, separating themselves from the riff-raff Brits and other European neighbours. Their robotic and characterless teams are boring and utterly predictable.They were always up for a war and land grab, but being central in the E.U. has inadvertently allowed them to fulfill a dream (they'll call it their destiny) of conquering Europe and dominating other nations through economic and legislative means.

As for the Argentinians: well, their deserved reputation for being "animals" (think World Cup 66 and Alf Ramsey) their inherant cheating and gamesmanship (think Maradonna and that hand) and their constant assertion that the Falkland islands ("Las Malvinas" to them) is theirs to claim, makes them public enemy number 2. To state that because they have "Messi" that you want them to do well is akin to the anti-English Scotsman stating: "England have Kane" and so I want them to do well.

29-06-2018, 05:22 PM
The English pundits couldn't hide the smiles and of course Linekars cheeky sign off at the end. They really will never stop being bitter towards the Germans.

Hi Heid Yin
29-06-2018, 05:27 PM
The English pundits couldn't hide the smiles and of course Linekars cheeky sign off at the end. They really will never stop being bitter towards the Germans.

Just as too many of my fellow Scots will never stop being bitter towards the English!

MWHIBBIES
29-06-2018, 05:36 PM
he would have provided the pace they were lacking, I agree though....not the saviour that some (not on this board) are making out he would have been

Pace isnt effective Vs 10 defenders. Quick passing and good crosses are. If Goretzka, Gomez and Hummels score the 3 easy headers no one is fussed about Sane and Germany are through as group winners. They really werent that bad and will be favourite for the Euros in 2 years.

Keith_M
29-06-2018, 06:55 PM
My forces back ground, my upbringing, and my age (born 12 years after the war) influence my thoughts on Germany.
The Germans, on the whole, have a self-assumed, ingrained superior attitude and are notoriously arrogant as a people: thinking nothing of commandeering sun loungers and whole beaches in the med, separating themselves from the riff-raff Brits and other European neighbours. Their robotic and characterless teams are boring and utterly predictable.They were always up for a war and land grab, but being central in the E.U. has inadvertently allowed them to fulfill a dream (they'll call it their destiny) of conquering Europe and dominating other nations through economic and legislative means.

Sorry but there's only one reasonable response to that rant

:faf:

IGRIGI
29-06-2018, 07:01 PM

As for the Argentinians: well, their deserved reputation for being "animals" (think World Cup 66 and Alf Ramsey) their inherant cheating and gamesmanship (think Maradonna and that hand) and their constant assertion that the Falkland islands ("Las Malvinas" to them) is theirs to claim, makes them public enemy number 2. To state that because they have "Messi" that you want them to do well is akin to the anti-English Scotsman stating: "England have Kane" and so I want them to do well.

If they go to Dublin we follow on ...

guthrie01
29-06-2018, 07:19 PM

Why don’t you go to these countries and experience the kindness and welcoming nature of many Germans/Argentinians instead of basing your opinions on discriminating nonsense you where told as a kid and maintain for whatever reason.

One of the worst posts I’ve ever seen on here imo

Scouse Hibee
29-06-2018, 08:33 PM

Oh the irony

SquashedFrogg
29-06-2018, 09:47 PM
Oh the irony

Agreed. I will be equally as happy when England go out.

Less smug, but equally as happy.

DaveF
29-06-2018, 10:15 PM

Well the only Germans I've ever met have been super friendly, sound people who I would happily share a beer with. Apart from that tall bugger who hammered me at tennis in tenerife last year. He was just too tall and too good.

pacorosssco
29-06-2018, 10:33 PM
Well the only Germans I've ever met have been super friendly, sound people who I would happily share a beer with. Apart from that tall bugger who hammered me at tennis in tenerife last year. He was just too tall and too good.

Agree can never generalise folks but in germany you are made very welcome by the locals. I've been many places germany and many good experiences people

Hi Heid Yin
29-06-2018, 10:39 PM
Why don’t you go to these countries and experience the kindness and welcoming nature of many Germans/Argentinians instead of basing your opinions on discriminating nonsense you where told as a kid and maintain for whatever reason.

One of the worst posts I’ve ever seen on here imo

Been to both countries and actually have experienced friendliness..........and, yes, discrimination!. You will note in particular that I said "On the whole"
No nation is devoid of it's racists and stereotypes. My own country, Scotland, is, on the whole, to varying degrees, anti-English, and this anti-English sentiment raises it's head at every World Cup or game involving England. For me to root for Germany or Argentina ahead of England is anathema..having a military background and having stood side by side with my fellow Brits from London, Cardiff, Belfast and Glasgow has instilled within me a British patriotism and a desire to see all-things-British succeed.
Today, many an anti-English Scot tries to disguise their prejudice behind the convenient "Oh I don't hate the English people as such, just the BBC and West Minster"

pacorosssco
29-06-2018, 10:52 PM
Been to both countries and actually have experienced friendliness..........and, yes, discrimination!. You will note in particular that I said "On the whole"
No nation is devoid of it's racists and stereotypes. My own country, Scotland, is, on the whole, anti-English, and this anti-English sentiment raises it's head at every World Cup or game involving England. For me to root for Germany or Argentina ahead of England is anathema..having a military background and having stood side by side with my fellow Brits from London, Cardiff, Belfast and Glasgow.

Valid point but discrimination is everywhere. I lived abroad and largely had to mix with english who either hated scots or thought nothing of all calling you sweaty or sock to your face. It's a shame we buy into divides given to us by media.I like to see England lose yet if they win I have some England friends I'm happy for

Tornadoes70
29-06-2018, 10:57 PM
[/I][/B]
Just as too many of my fellow Scots will never stop being bitter towards the English!

As a Hibernian fan and a Scotsman who believes in us being part of the UK I applaud your honesty and courage in giving your frank opinion. We would get on far better as a nation with sections of the braveheart highlander mentality becoming much more tolerant, putting the past behind us and engage fully as partners with the rest of the UK.

Scotland will never move on as a country if living in the dark ages albeit there's some who see individual profit in keeping us within it.

Mon Scottish Labour!

:flag:

pacorosssco
29-06-2018, 11:04 PM
As a Hibernian fan and a Scotsman who believes in us being part of the UK I applaud your honesty and courage in giving your frank opinion. We would get on far better as a nation with sections of the braveheart highlander mentality becoming much more tolerant, putting the past behind us and engage fully as partners with the rest of the UK.

Scotland will never move on as a country if living in the dark ages albeit there's some who see individual profit in keeping us within it.

Mon Scottish Labour!

In your opinion. Loaded post.Many English people hold as anti scottish views. I believe in respect both ways

Hi Heid Yin
29-06-2018, 11:25 PM

Mon Scottish Labour!

Thank you.
I sometimes wonder why I raise my head above the ramparts knowing that I'm likely to receive a hail of anti-English arrows from a swathe of my fellow Scots.

Tornadoes70
29-06-2018, 11:31 PM
In your opinion. Loaded post.Many English people hold as anti scottish views. I believe in respect both ways

This is very true and I respect this opinion but we have to look beyond both supremacist flag waving bearers and look to building bridges not burning them. There's been much give recently from all sides apart from the 'Snp' who would impoverish us and not care because of their highlander attitudes.

We're sensible outward looking lowlanders here in Edinburgh, a city of Adam Smith and other such intellectuals.

Mon Scottish Labour!

Tornadoes70
29-06-2018, 11:38 PM
Thank you.
I sometimes wonder why I raise my head above the ramparts knowing that I'm likely to receive a hail of anti-English arrows from a swathe of my fellow Scots.

As a nation we can do so much more with open minds not closed ones as is the way with some.

Edinburgh is an outward looking city of intellect and responsible capitalism.

We should be looking outward not inward as is the case with the supremacist saltire waving disability and transgender hating Snp Gillian Martin's of the world.

Glory Glory

Mon Scottish Labour!

pacorosssco
29-06-2018, 11:39 PM
Thank you.

The divide of people is sold by media. We have a unique union open to question of fairness equality.

pacorosssco
29-06-2018, 11:47 PM
[QUOTE=lgnsh70;5447830]This is very true and I respect this opinion but we have to look beyond both supremacist flag waving bearers and look to building bridges not burning them. There's been much give recently from all sides apart from the 'Snp' who would impoverish us and not care because of their highlander attitudes.

We're sensible outward looking lowlanders here in Edinburgh, a city of Adam Smith and other such intellectuals.

Mon Scottish Labour!

Impoverish is a strong word I would say . You respect opinions but you believe yours is right.
I'm glad never known nothing

Tornadoes70
30-06-2018, 12:01 AM
[QUOTE=lgnsh70;5447830]This is very true and I respect this opinion but we have to look beyond both supremacist flag waving bearers and look to building bridges not burning them. There's been much give recently from all sides apart from the 'Snp' who would impoverish us and not care because of their highlander attitudes.

Mon Scottish Labour!

Impoverish is a strong word I would say . You respect opinions but you believe yours is right.
I'm glad never known nothing

Of course I believe I'm right or left of center as the case may be with Scottish Labour.

I respect what you say, you're polite and trying to say something in absence of being a smart alec even if it does contradict entirely my own beliefs.

Mon Scottish Labour!

1875godsgift
30-06-2018, 12:06 AM
As a nation we can do so much more with open minds not closed ones as is the way with some.

Edinburgh is an outward looking city of intellect and responsible capitalism.

We should be looking outward not inward as is the case with the supremacist saltire waving disability and transgender hating Snp Gillian Martin's of the world.

Glory Glory

Mon Scottish Labour!

So is your mind an open or a closed one?

Tornadoes70
30-06-2018, 12:13 AM
So is your mind an open or a closed one?

Did you read all of the post or just choose to select a part of it and ask a very silly question?

Mon Scottish Labour!

1875godsgift
30-06-2018, 12:39 AM
Did you read all of the post or just choose to select a part of it and ask a very silly question?

Mon Scottish Labour!

I highlighted the part I was curious about.

Why is it a very silly question? You seem fairly entrenched in your own views, which I would consider to be symptomatic of a closed mind?

But I could be completely wrong....

Oscar T Grouch
30-06-2018, 05:35 AM
Admins as this is no longer about the Germans going out of the world cup and has become a party political broadcast can we move this thread to the holy ground?

superfurryhibby
30-06-2018, 06:12 AM
Thank you.

It’s called pleasuring yourself and the only anti-English arrows are in your over stimulated, yet narrow minded imagination.

Thread has become a farce, well done.

marinello59
30-06-2018, 06:52 AM
This one looks to have run it’s course. Thread closed