PDA

View Full Version : SFA Charity/Community Shiled

hibbycraig
24-06-2018, 11:55 AM
I can't remember us ever having one.
Have we ever had one? Why do we not have one?
Would it be worth having it as an extra trophy?
No idea why this came into my thoughts.

cocteautwin
24-06-2018, 12:58 PM
I can't remember us ever having one.
Have we ever had one? Why do we not have one?
Would it be worth having it as an extra trophy?
No idea why this came into my thoughts.

Celtc v Celtc?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BlackSheep
24-06-2018, 01:12 PM
I’ve also wondered this... yes recently Celtic have won everything but there are alternatives in place down south for such circumstances.

Could be quite the money spinner with potential TV coverage and a day out to hampden for each set of fans, also a great opener to the season.

I think the SFA should be looking into this.

Ozyhibby
24-06-2018, 01:37 PM
The clubs likely to be involved have very important European games at that time of year. Don’t really think there is demand from the fans for another friendly v Scottish opposition.

Diclonius
24-06-2018, 01:38 PM
Prior to Rangers' administration it would invariably be just another Old Firm derby. Don't see why the SFA didn't introduce it, would basically be free money - unless a non-OF team somehow managed to slink in in which case it would be seen as a non-event.

If we'd actually held it then the finals over the last 20 years would have been the following:

99-00: Rangers v Celtic
00-01: Rangers v Celtic
01-02: Celtic v Rangers
02-03: Celtic v Rangers
03-04: Rangers v Celtic
04-05: Celtic v Rangers
05-06: Rangers v Celtic
06-07: Celtic v Hearts
07-08: Celtic v Rangers
08-09: Rangers v Celtic
09-10: Rangers v Celtic
10-11: Rangers v Dundee Utd
11-12: Rangers v Celtic
12-13: Celtic v Hearts
13-14: Celtic v Motherwell
14-15: Celtic v St Johnstone
15-16: Celtic v Inverness
16-17: Celtic v Hibernian
17-18: Celtic v Aberdeen
18-19: Celtic v Aberdeen

Slim Shady
24-06-2018, 01:49 PM
I’d rather see the SPL winners play EPL winners

Bostonhibby
24-06-2018, 02:00 PM
Police Glasgow domestic violence unit don't want another bigotfest derby?

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

hibbycraig
24-06-2018, 02:27 PM
The clubs likely to be involved have very important European games at that time of year. Don’t really think there is demand from the fans for another friendly v Scottish opposition.

It could be held in a free Scottish cup week if both teams are premiership. I think if there is a trophy involved it would get the fans more interested.

hibbycraig
24-06-2018, 02:30 PM
I’ve also wondered this... yes recently Celtic have won everything but there are alternatives in place down south for such circumstances.

Could be quite the money spinner with potential TV coverage and a day out to hampden for each set of fans, also a great opener to the season.

I think the SFA should be looking into this.

I'd love an extra day out for it and any extra money is obviously a massive bonus. Just seems a bit of a missed opportunity.

Tomsk
24-06-2018, 05:56 PM
There used to be a thing called the Glasgow Charity Cup. This was for Glasgow clubs and the money raised for charitable acts in Glasgow. The SFA being what it is probably thought that was enough.

Wilson
24-06-2018, 06:05 PM
There used to be a thing called the Glasgow Charity Cup. This was for Glasgow clubs and the money raised for charitable acts in Glasgow. The SFA being what it is probably thought that was enough.

We could have done an Edinburgh charity cup although the yam would have swiped the proceeds.

Tomsk
24-06-2018, 06:17 PM
We could have done an Edinburgh charity cup although the yam would have swiped the proceeds.

They did. It was called the Rosebery Cup.

Iggy Pope
25-06-2018, 07:08 AM

It wasn't only for Glasgow clubs. Hibs competed in it a few times won it in 1902 taking six off Celtic in the final. The aforementioned Roseberry cup was also pocketed same season.

theonlywayisup
25-06-2018, 12:56 PM
It wasn't only for Glasgow clubs. Hibs competed in it a few times won it in 1902 taking six off Celtic in the final. The aforementioned Roseberry cup was also pocketed same season.

I can just hear the Hertz singing:

Since 1902, Since 1902
You've not won the Glasgow Merchants Charity Cup
Since 1902

Mind you, probably not, as they've never won it. It's obviously a diddy cup, despite Manchester United winning it in 1962. Also, MU were runners up once, as were Spurs and Leeds United.

Tomsk
25-06-2018, 10:36 PM

Only one r in Rosebery, Mr Pedant. :greengrin

Green Man
25-06-2018, 10:40 PM
Only one r in Rosebery, Mr Pedant. :greengrin

There are two, one at the start and one second last :greengrin