PDA

View Full Version : Luke Berry

IncredibleHibee
23-06-2018, 04:30 PM
Does anyone know what actually happened in this saga? I heard that Hibs pulled out due to something they didn’t like re berry’s conduct. Now that could be nonsense. I remember Lennon saying at the time that there was a story to be told and it would come out in the wash eventually.

The_Horde
23-06-2018, 04:51 PM
Does anyone know what actually happened in this saga? I heard that Hibs pulled out due to something they didn’t like re berry’s conduct. Now that could be nonsense. I remember Lennon saying at the time that there was a story to be told and it would come out in the wash eventually.

Deal fell through because someone leaked the transfer.

Hibs had agreed on his release clause and they didn't want anyone knowing what that fee was but it was leaked by someone.

IncredibleHibee
23-06-2018, 04:53 PM
A deal doesn’t fall through because someone leaks it. I know that was what was said at the time but that can’t be the reason. That may have been part of the reason but not the sole reason

KWJ
23-06-2018, 05:39 PM
I was under the impression he just knocked us back. Done well at Luton, now in League 1 and could do well. Setting them up for James Collins :wink:

B.H.F.C
23-06-2018, 05:42 PM

Hibs had agreed on his release clause and they didn't want anyone knowing what that fee was but it was leaked by someone.

If it was a clause in his contract how could they stop it?

Diclonius
23-06-2018, 05:46 PM
Oh no people know how much we paid for a player, that means we don't want to sign him for some unknown reason.

Nah, doesn't sit with me. There must be more to it.

Craig_HFC
23-06-2018, 06:07 PM
I’m sure I remember reading/hearing that it was the agent who was taking the piss a bit.

jacomo
23-06-2018, 06:17 PM

Ladies and gentlemen, this is a Hibs.net FACT.

frazeHFC
23-06-2018, 06:22 PM
I was under the impression he just knocked us back. Done well at Luton, now in League 1 and could do well. Setting them up for James Collins :wink:

Seen Berry made team of the year. Seems like he would have been a decent signing, but not quite Scott Allan..

Smartie
23-06-2018, 06:25 PM
Did he not get a really nasty injury that he'll do well to come back from and be the same player?

Centre Hawf
23-06-2018, 06:57 PM
Did he not get a really nasty injury that he'll do well to come back from and be the same player? horrific leg break near the tail end of the season. Big loss to them and certainly helped Accrington pip them to the title.

johnbc70
23-06-2018, 07:03 PM
Was it not the money on offer was about the same he was on down south so never saw the need to uproot his family.

kevinc
23-06-2018, 11:11 PM
Hibs offered him £1400 pw, he expected closer to £3k based on previous discussions.........allegedly

nonshinyfinish
23-06-2018, 11:47 PM
£150k FACT

The_Horde
24-06-2018, 12:43 AM
If it was a clause in his contract how could they stop it?

The clause was there but part of the agreement was that the amount was to remain undisclosed. But it didnt. Someone inside leaked it.. Therefor hibs broke the terms and they were well within their rights to call the transfer off. (Much to their delight as it was indeed a bargain)

SirDavidsNapper
24-06-2018, 01:07 AM
Got a horrific injury not long ago.

Centre Hawf
24-06-2018, 09:53 AM
The clause was there but part of the agreement was that the amount was to remain undisclosed. But it didnt. Someone inside leaked it.. Therefor hibs broke the terms and they were well within their rights to call the transfer off. (Much to their delight as it was indeed a bargain)

I don’t buy that. His Agent would know it and tell any club interested so what does it matter it being undisclosed.

Earlydelivery
24-06-2018, 10:04 AM
He got cold feet at the last minute ... that’s from the horses mouth.

Forza Fred
24-06-2018, 10:18 AM
He got cold feet at the last minute ... that’s from the horses mouth.

Feet, mouth...that's some tail........

Pretty Boy
24-06-2018, 10:36 AM
Ladies and gentlemen, this is a Hibs.net FACT.

I think this is a situation in which a .net fact and actual fact are almost one and the same.

I spoke to someone at Hibs who was directly involved a couple of days after the deal fell through at the friendly we played at Ainslie Park. Let's just say I wouldn't have liked to be on the receiving end of their wrath on the Monday morning.

Diclonius
24-06-2018, 11:06 AM

Why would a transfer fee disclosure mean that we call off a deal? The money paid remains the same, the deal offered to the player remains the same, nothing changes. Why does it matter? It doesn't make sense.

greenlex
24-06-2018, 11:14 AM
Why would a transfer fee disclosure mean that we call off a deal? The money paid remains the same, the deal offered to the player remains the same, nothing changes. Why does it matter? It doesn't make sense.

It could and probably would affect future dealings. Clubs don’t want fees disclosed as it gives other clubs an incline of budget or indeed how much they may be willing to negotiate. Could also influence fans behaviour re their spending or personal investment in a club. That’s the whole point of things like this being undisclosed.

Mick O'Rourke
24-06-2018, 11:17 AM
I heard he duckwalked out on the deal,as Hibs reneged on the promise of a new guitar.:cb