PDA

View Full Version : Stokes

Captain Trips
21-06-2018, 11:22 AM
Training with Stubbs at St Mirren

calumhibee1
21-06-2018, 11:24 AM
The kind of signing that could keep them up.. or could also relegate them. Depends on what version of Stokes they get.

H18 SFR
21-06-2018, 11:25 AM
He's like a cat, always landing on his feet.

Sir David Gray
21-06-2018, 11:29 AM
If they get the Anthony Stokes of 21/05/16 they could be pushing for a top six place and will have one of the top strikers in the country who is at prime age.

If they get the Anthony Stokes of circa December 2017 then it could be the signing that relegates them.

He's a huge gamble, it paid off for us big time in the cup final and backfired big time last summer. On the face of it they may feel it's a gamble worth taking and perhaps Stubbs will manage to get the best out of him.

Time will tell.

Keith_M
21-06-2018, 11:30 AM
St Liedown showing their obvious Celtc leanings

Centre Hawf
21-06-2018, 11:36 AM
If they get the Anthony Stokes of 21/05/16 they could be pushing for a top six place and will have one of the top strikers in the country who is at prime age.

If they get the Anthony Stokes of circa December 2017 then it could be the signing that relegates them.

He's a huge gamble, it paid off for us big time in the cup final and backfired big time last summer. On the face of it they may feel it's a gamble worth taking and perhaps Stubbs will manage to get the best out of him.

Time will tell.

As great as he was that day. That game was an anomaly in his loan spell. He’s finished. Stubbs may live to regret this one.

NAE NOOKIE
21-06-2018, 11:49 AM
Massive gamble by Stubbs if he decides to sign him, but I suppose if anybody can get the best out of him he can. Personally I wouldn't touch this particular Hibs legend with the proverbial barge pole.

bigwheel
21-06-2018, 11:50 AM
As great as he was that day. That game was an anomaly in his loan spell. He’s finished. Stubbs may live to regret this one.

The level of performance from Stokes that day would be an anomaly for almost every player in Scotland - he was incredible ...your general dismissal of the remainder of his contribution during that loan spell does not stand up to any depth of analysis...

Since then he is clearly not been motivated to contribute anywhere near his level - so I suspect he may be on a downward spiral - that is almost all about his mindset and application - not his ability - if he wanted to, he could still be a big player ..

we are hibs
21-06-2018, 11:52 AM
This is just going to be another thread that turns into a bashing of a hibs legend. He was nowhere near as bad as some people liked to make out last season either.

blackpoolhibs
21-06-2018, 11:53 AM
Cant see him being a huge success at a club who will in all probability be struggling to create a lot of chances.

HibbyAndy
21-06-2018, 11:53 AM
This is just going to be another thread that turns into a bashing of a hibs legend. He was nowhere near as bad as some people liked to make out last season either.

:agree:

Quite sad really

blaikie
21-06-2018, 11:56 AM
Good luck to him, always a legend in my eyes for 2016!

heretoday
21-06-2018, 12:12 PM
Massive gamble by Stubbs if he decides to sign him, but I suppose if anybody can get the best out of him he can. Personally I wouldn't touch this particular Hibs legend with the proverbial barge pole.

We got the best out of him. Now it's over.

WeeRussell
21-06-2018, 12:13 PM

Yep.

Against the grain it seems but I think it’s a great signing for them and wish the two Scottish cup heroes well this season.. just no against us!

SouthMoroccoStu
21-06-2018, 12:22 PM

Agreed

If I saw him I’d buy him a pint

allezsauzee
21-06-2018, 12:23 PM
Yep.

Against the grain it seems but I think it’s a great signing for them and wish the two Scottish cup heroes well this season.. just no against us!

This :agree:

Smartie
21-06-2018, 12:28 PM
Stokes did fine during his loan spell. He was unfit when he arrived, got himself fit and knocked his pan in week in week out against teams that had no interest in playing football.

Then he had THAT performance in the cup final.

He looked a lot less fit and a lot slower when he came back, but even then he had his moments.

It was his nonsense off the park (again) that placed Lennon in a difficult situation and ultimately he had to do what he had to do. I also suspect that there was a bit more to his departure than most people think.

How might Stokes have played if he was a bit fitter, screwed the nut, had Scott Allan behind him and Flo up there with him?

This might be an inspired move for Stubbs and Stokes. Then again, it might not.

Andy.1875
21-06-2018, 12:55 PM
For the past few seasons he has always come across, to me, a someone who thinks he is bigger than the club. Regardless of who the club is.
Pub landlord suits him better.

Centre Hawf
21-06-2018, 12:59 PM
The level of performance from Stokes that day would be an anomaly for almost every player in Scotland - he was incredible ...your general dismissal of the remainder of his contribution during that loan spell does not stand up to any depth of analysis...

Since then he is clearly not been motivated to contribute anywhere near his level - so I suspect he may be on a downward spiral - that is almost all about his mindset and application - not his ability - if he wanted to, he could still be a big player ..

As many folk have said this conversation could go on for ages. So we’ll agree to disagree and both admire the performance of that day in May.

21-06-2018, 01:09 PM
It's Stokes attitude thats the problem. There is no doubt he has ability but he seems to pick and choose when he is interested.

I am forever grateful to the man for giving me the greatest day of my life but I'm very disappointed at the way he disrespected the club afterwards and fully back Lennon punting him. He has a big ego and seems to think he can do whatever he likes. Fighting with the manager, showing up late to training, causing bother on trips away etc. it's not on and just shows complete arrogance.

Hope it goes well for him at St Mirren, if he FINALLY decides to knuckle down then what a great signing he will be for them but unfortunatly I feel that if he hasn't by now he never will. He's not a daft young laddie anymore. Big risk for St Mirren I feel.

sleeping giant
21-06-2018, 01:18 PM
Yep.

Absolutely .

Legend

BlackSheep
21-06-2018, 01:19 PM
It's Stokes attitude thats the problem. There is no doubt he has ability but he seems to pick and choose when he is interested.

I am forever grateful to the man for giving me the greatest day of my life but I'm very disappointed at the way he disrespected the club afterwards and fully back Lennon punting him. He has a big ego and seems to think he can do whatever he likes. Fighting with the manager, showing up late to training, causing bother on trips away etc. it's not on and just shows complete arrogance.

Hope it goes well for him at St Mirren, if he FINALLY decides to knuckle down then what a great signing he will be for them but unfortunatly I feel that if he hasn't by now he never will. He's not a daft young laddie anymore. Big risk for St Mirren I feel.

I agree with everything you say here. I wish it had worked out better for Hibs and Stokes, but ultimately well done St Mirren if they do sign him. No risk, no reward they say.

:)

TelaStella
21-06-2018, 01:20 PM
Legend but if it didn’t work out for him here (3rd time) I don’t see how it’s going to work at St Mirren.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Harp
21-06-2018, 01:42 PM
Without Stokesy's contribution in 2016 there's little doubt we'd still be seeking our holy grail. His performance in the Final, was right up there with the best ever by a Hibs player.
I hope he gets signed by St Mirren or another club who will help him get back on the rails.
All the best Stokesy!

21-06-2018, 01:45 PM
He's like a cat, always landing on his feet.

true. To be honest, he's actually quite lucky that teams are still willing to take the risk with him.

Hibs legend or not, and as I said in my previous post I am forever grateful to him for his goals in the final but he is not immune from critisism because of it. He disrespected the club, thought he was bigger and better than the club and unsettled the camp with his nonsense. Cup final hero or not, thats not acceptable and he desereves stick for it. Perhaps that was just the problem? He thought because he was a hero that the club owe HIM and he had a free pass to behave how he liked.

I hate this idea that we are only allowed to critisize players who were rubbish for us but players who did well are totally immune. If, say, Rowan Vine or any other of the garbage players we had in the past acted the way Stokes did, they would be utterly crucified and a lynch mob after him yet somehow because Stokes was a final hero some people get all upset the moment anything bad against him is said.

matty_f
21-06-2018, 01:48 PM
I love Stokesy. Top man.

PercyHibs
21-06-2018, 01:50 PM
Stokes did fine during his loan spell. He was unfit when he arrived, got himself fit and knocked his pan in week in week out against teams that had no interest in playing football.

Then he had THAT performance in the cup final.

He looked a lot less fit and a lot slower when he came back, but even then he had his moments.

It was his nonsense off the park (again) that placed Lennon in a difficult situation and ultimately he had to do what he had to do. I also suspect that there was a bit more to his departure than most people think.

How might Stokes have played if he was a bit fitter, screwed the nut, had Scott Allan behind him and Flo up there with him?

This might be an inspired move for Stubbs and Stokes. Then again, it might not.

Stokes' performance in the final is one of the best individual performances I've ever seen. He'll always be a hero in my eyes. But to say he "knocked his pan in week in week out" just isn't true. There were some weeks he just wasn't interested. A luxury player us or a team like st mirren can't afford

dp00
21-06-2018, 02:11 PM
If he thought he could do what he wanted and was bigger than the club at hibs ...... then you have to think he would be even worse at st Mirren

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ancient hibee
21-06-2018, 02:20 PM
I read somewhere that Stubbs had withdrawn the contract Ross had offered Gavin Reilly.Presumably Reilly will be off to Sunderland.

Centre Hawf
21-06-2018, 02:35 PM
I read somewhere that Stubbs had withdrawn the contract Ross had offered Gavin Reilly.Presumably Reilly will be off to Sunderland.

Not sure why. He's not good enough for that level in my opinion. He is a half decent striker in the Scottish Championship and would have been worth a run in the Premiership for St Mirren but he done the square root of eff all at Dunfermline and Hearts when given a chance.

MyJo
21-06-2018, 03:08 PM
If Stokes as finally decided to screw the nut and put the effort into his career he could be a brilliant signing for St Mirren and play at that level for a good few years yet.

However, I imagine that he will be the same as he has always been but Stubbs will let him away with it. Either way good luck to him and Stubbsy in 35 of their games next season :greengrin

Billy Whizz
21-06-2018, 05:33 PM
Wonder if Stubbs will try and get Jason on loan, to pair with Stokes?

jockspanner
21-06-2018, 05:46 PM
I completely agree, he will always be one of the guys that gave me the greatest day of my life.

21-06-2018, 05:48 PM
I completely agree, he will always be one of the guys that gave me the greatest day of my life.

100%, his heroics that day will never be forgotten. Just makes it all the more sad though that he left on quite a sour note.

Scotty Leither
21-06-2018, 05:52 PM

True...however he slipped up again when we were due to play that mob at Tynecastle in the cup, leaving Shaw to manually fight a losing battle against two experienced centre halfs. He was also a player that the mutants feared.

Won us the cup but a big contributory factor in losing that particular tie to them, so I wish him all the best, but was angry how he p1ssed the club around at such a vital stage of the season.