PDA

View Full Version : European Tragedy

Dashing Bob S
21-06-2018, 02:20 AM
So a tie which we are expected to progress comfortably in islands to the north of here, followed by a sun-kissed Mediterranean trip where we stand a very good chance of progressing.

Well, I'm thoroughly depressed. No point in playing such games if they get in the way of our exciting opener against Motherwell, which is crucial as we need to get a good start if we are to bag one of the Europa Cup slots for next season.

lapsedhibee
21-06-2018, 06:15 AM
So a tie which we are expected to progress comfortably in islands to the north of here, followed by a sun-kissed Mediterranean trip where we stand a very good chance of progressing.

Well, I'm thoroughly depressed. No point in playing such games if they get in the way of our exciting opener against Motherwell, which is crucial as we need to get a good start if we are to bag one of the Europa Cup slots for next season.

Agreed. Motherwell is always a crucial game in the pursuit of a European place. Who can forget Amadou Konte or his goal against them which got us a European place in whenever it was?

BILLYHIBS
21-06-2018, 07:04 AM
When I first saw this thread I thought it was a joke or fishing thread!

No point getting depressed by the time the Motherwell game comes to pass with all our signings in place we will be up and running fresh and ready to go.

I can confidently say that under Lenny and our new mental strength and winning attitude I expect to win every game especially against Celtic and The Rangers at home and that includes the likes of Motherwell who will be more interested in stopping us trying to play.

Bring it on!

tamig
21-06-2018, 07:16 AM
Just a shame the European ties will be played in front of a half empty ER. Not a good specatacle.

HUTCHYHIBBY
21-06-2018, 07:18 AM
When I first saw this thread I thought it was a joke or fishing thread!

Unbelievable Jeff! As if DBS would ever do such a thing. :-)

brog
21-06-2018, 07:39 AM

Spot on Bob. I remember Villa qualifying for Europe a few years ago. Their fans did the ususl beach balls, sombreros etc at last game of the season. Villa then put out a reserve team in 1st European tie & got humped. WTF:!

IGRIGI
21-06-2018, 10:46 AM
With missing out on potential money spinning League Cup ties away to the likes of Peterhead, Alloa or Stenhousemuir I'm not sure why we are even bothering.

iwasthere1972
21-06-2018, 11:12 AM
Agreed. Motherwell is always a crucial game in the pursuit of a European place. Who can forget Amadou Konte or his goal against them which got us a European place in whenever it was?

I was at Fir Park that day. Missed one of the Motherwell goals as I was either in the bogs or ordering myself a tea at the time (they ran out of tea bags) and left the stadium thinking that we had won 2-1. Thought the mood of the Hibs fans was a bit strange after a 'win' Think there was a rail strike that day so we were bussed from the train station to Edinburgh. Wasn't until I got home that my daughter said that it was a 2-2 draw. :doh:

NAE NOOKIE
21-06-2018, 11:19 AM
Well, for me the draw wasn't very kind …. I was hoping for a glamour tie in the 2nd round for purely selfish reasons. As it is the Faroes is a bit of a stretch and Tripoli only have an 8,000 capacity stadium which will limit the number of tickets we will get, not to mention in my case pretty well scupper any chance I had of persuading my mate to go along with me, even if a couple of tickets could be procured.

Hoping against hope that we can get through these two rounds and get a tie closer to home in an easy to get to European city in France, Belgium or Germany for example …… c'mon Hibs, you can do this :greengrin

Keith_M
21-06-2018, 11:28 AM
Personally I would have preferred the option of having a glamour Euro Tie that would take us to the cosmopolitan hotspot of... Burnley.

Oh to be cooling my feet in the river Brun, chatting up some northern Senorita with the local patois...

..."Ey-oop lass, tha's nor as fat as t'other lasses round 'ere"

NAE NOOKIE
21-06-2018, 11:33 AM
Personally I would have preferred the option of having a glamour Euro Tie that would take us to the cosmopolitan hotspot of... Burnley.

Oh to be cooling my feet in the river Brun, chatting up some northern Senorita with the local patois...

..."Ey-oop lass, tha's nor as fat as t'other lasses round 'ere"

Not exactly a glamour tie in travelling terms, but a cracker all the same …. if that had been us we would have snapped up every ticket available within an hour and probably asked for more. There's quite a funny video doing the rounds of a Burnley fans reaction to their draw.

"We wait 51 f'ing years to get into Europe and where do we end up? … Scotland, f'ing SCOTLAND !!!" :faf:

Keith_M
21-06-2018, 11:34 AM
Not exactly a glamour tie in travelling terms, but a cracker all the same …. if that had been us we would have snapped up every ticket available within an hour and probably asked for more. There's quite a funny video doing the rounds of a Burnley fans reaction to their draw.

"We wait 51 f'ing years to get into Europe and where do we end up? … Scotland, f'ing SCOTLAND !!!" :faf:

Not just that, the delights of Aberdeen!

:greengrin

Hibs Class
21-06-2018, 11:39 AM
Just a shame the European ties will be played in front of a half empty ER. Not a good specatacle.

It's a pity but when the games are ridiculously scheduled for the start of the school hols it's inevitable that will keep loads of fans away, far more than any pricing decisions will

NAE NOOKIE
21-06-2018, 11:43 AM
I notice that adverts for flight bookings are already starting to pop up when I go onto Hibs.net … and I haven't even been looking. Looks like the internet has already sussed us out and prices will hike up accordingly.

Andy.1875
21-06-2018, 01:11 PM

Completely agree. Why bother with these meaningless Europa Cup games and just concentrate on finishing no higher than 5th next season. That way we do not have to bother with this pre-season Europe nonsense!

hibbycraig
21-06-2018, 02:08 PM

We won't need a Europa league slot for next season. We go straight to champions league for winning it this season.

Keith_M
21-06-2018, 02:57 PM
We won't need a Europa league slot for next season. We go straight to champions league for winning it this season.

Do we qualify twice if we win the league as well?