PDA

View Full Version : Portuguese (Sporting Lisbon) players.

ekhibee
20-06-2018, 02:31 PM
Just wondered if anybody knew much about this. Players and staff were attacked by 50 fans in May, and 7 players have terminated their own contracts. Now I'm not for a second suggesting that players should be attacked by fans at any time, but it seems strange that they've actually been allowed to terminate their own contracts. The goalie Patricio has already signed for Wolves. I would have thought the club would definitely be appealing this. During the game against Morocco, the commentator was going on about one of the players who came on as a sub, valued at £87 Million, Fernandes. That's a lot of money to lose, so I suppose it all boils down to the club has not provided security for players while they're training?

Gibby the Hibby
20-06-2018, 02:33 PM
Its madness just been reading about it, all because they did not get in the CL positions.
they get attacked at training, Id be leaving too, Fk playing for fans like that!
Must be part of the contract that allows them to cancel it if they feel their safety is at risk, And they certainly have a point, youd have thought they
could sell the players tho. must not have a choice,

Can we get ryan gauld on a free transfer then :greengrin

Onceinawhile
20-06-2018, 02:35 PM
There's no such issue at Sporting Lisbon. In fact, Sporting Lisboa Benfica aren't making many waves at all at the moment.

I suspect you mean Sporting club de Portugal. Where the chairman was formerly a hooligan and criticised the players for their performances and, it has been hinted at, may have had a guiding hand in the attack at the training ground.

bod
20-06-2018, 03:11 PM
Its madness just been reading about it, all because they did not get in the CL positions.
they get attacked at training, Id be leaving too, Fk playing for fans like that!
Must be part of the contract that allows them to cancel it if they feel their safety is at risk, And they certainly have a point, youd have thought they
could sell the players tho. must not have a choice,

Can we get ryan gauld on a free transfer then :greengrin
Don’t think he’s leaving get promoted to the 1st team

ekhibee
20-06-2018, 03:38 PM
There's no such issue at Sporting Lisbon. In fact, Sporting Lisboa Benfica aren't making many waves at all at the moment.

I suspect you mean Sporting club de Portugal. Where the chairman was formerly a hooligan and criticised the players for their performances and, it has been hinted at, may have had a guiding hand in the attack at the training ground.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44489158

You could be right, but it does say Sporting Lisbon in the article.

eezyrider
20-06-2018, 03:41 PM
I hadn't heard about this either until earlier. It must have been some attack for the players to unliterally terminate their contracts.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44489158

EZ

Ritchie
20-06-2018, 03:54 PM

It is Sporting Lisbon.

Onceinawhile
20-06-2018, 03:58 PM
It is Sporting Lisbon.

It isn't. The only club with Sporting Lisbon in their name is Benfica: As in Sporting Lisboa Benfica.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.L._Benfica

The team with the problem is sporting club de portugal:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sporting_CP

CropleyWasGod
20-06-2018, 04:01 PM
It isn't. The only club with Sporting Lisbon in their name is Benfica: As in Sporting Lisboa Benfica.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.L._Benfica

The team with the problem is sporting club de portugal:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sporting_CP

"The club is usually referred to simply as Sporting in Portuguese-speaking countries, and is often called Sporting Lisbon in other countries."

brog
20-06-2018, 04:03 PM
It is Sporting Lisbon.

He's being pedantic re the correct name of the club which is Sporting Club of Portugal but they're commonly referred to as Sporting Lisbon, or just Sporting, even in Portugal where I currently am. My friend is a Sporting fan & he's in bits. At present there are serious doubts 're Sporting's future existence. He's correct though that the chairman is a crook, if not a glib & accomplished liar!

Barman Stanton
20-06-2018, 04:04 PM

Sporting Lisbon has always been a kind of unofficial name for Sporting Club. Iv never once heard anyone refer to Benfica as Sporting.

Here is Hibs program, and they certainly didn’t play Benfica.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180620/025cadaa95218ad4053f2c7f10fcfb59.jpg

Ritchie
20-06-2018, 04:10 PM
He's being pedantic re the correct name of the club which is Sporting Club of Portugal but they're commonly referred to as Sporting Lisbon, or just Sporting, even in Portugal where I currently am. My friend is a Sporting fan & he's in bits. At present there are serious doubts 're Sporting's future existence. He's correct though that the chairman is a crook, if not a glib & accomplished liar!

i see. :rolleyes:

MWHIBBIES
20-06-2018, 04:12 PM
It was a shocking attack, players quite right to get out of there ASAP

Diclonius
20-06-2018, 04:13 PM

To be fair, it is annoying when teams from this country are referred to as "Celtic Glasgow", "Hibernian Edinburgh" or "the Hearts of Midlothian".

I have a soft spot for Internazionale and they're never referred to as "Inter Milan" over there - only "Inter".

neil7908
20-06-2018, 04:14 PM

There's no such club as Hibs but it's think it's not unreasonable to use that name.

Mibbes Aye
20-06-2018, 04:18 PM
To be fair, it is annoying when teams from this country are referred to as "Celtic Glasgow", "Hibernian Edinburgh" or "the Hearts of Midlothian".

I have a soft spot for Internazionale and they're never referred to as "Inter Milan" over there - only "Inter".

:agree:

In Lisbon, you will get a lot of Benfica merchandise in the official shop with SLB or the full name, but the team are really just referred to as Benfica.

And with their derby rivals in green it's Sporting, Sporting CP, SCP or occasionally Sporting Portugal, but generally just Sporting.

Nevertheless, Sporting Lisbon is a commonplace name, certainly in the UK.

Keith_M
20-06-2018, 07:09 PM
Isn't it amazing, yet predictable, that a story on a serious issue can be sidetracked so easily... in this case to what is the correct name of the club.

To get back to the point; I think if I was one of the players, I'd want to leave as early as possible as well. Who'd want to play for a group of fans willing to attack you, just because you didn't meet their demanding standards?

If the owner of the club, and it's a big if, encouraged it in any way, then that is absolutely deplorable.

nellio
20-06-2018, 07:17 PM
Isn't it amazing, yet predictable, that a story on a serious issue can be sidetracked so easily... in this case to what is the correct name of the club.

To get back to the point; I think if I was one of the players, I'd want to leave as early as possible as well. Who'd want to play for a group of fans willing to attack you, just because you didn't meet their demanding standards?

If the owner of the club, and it's a big if, encouraged it in any way, then that is absolutely deplorable.

Exactly. It's clear that the team known as Sporting Lisbon is the team involved. No need for it.

Bit of a bonkers situation over there that's for sure. Club must have agreed to terminate contracts Rui Patricio wouldn't have been able to sign for Wolves otherwise.

Onceinawhile
20-06-2018, 07:20 PM
Exactly. It's clear that the team known as Sporting Lisbon is the team involved. No need for it.

Bit of a bonkers situation over there that's for sure. Club must have agreed to terminate contracts Rui Patricio wouldn't have been able to sign for Wolves otherwise.

Except the team known as sporting Lisbon - which is benfica is not involved.

The idea that I'm somehow wrong because other people have been wrong for a long time is interesting.

nellio
20-06-2018, 07:43 PM

The idea that I'm somehow wrong because other people have been wrong for a long time is interesting.

So you're suggesting the team involved are not KNOWN as Sporting Lisbon then?

hibee1875
20-06-2018, 07:52 PM

Get over yourself. We’re all aware that the team involved is widely known in the uk as Sporting Lisbon.

Atrocious behaviour from the fans. However I wonder what’s keeping the rest of the squad there?

Boyle89
20-06-2018, 07:53 PM

We get it, you know the name of the club 10 points for you. Let it go already!

Centre Hawf
20-06-2018, 07:54 PM

You’re not wrong. But you are being pendantic. Sporting Lisbon is used throughout football coverage across Europe.

Smartie
20-06-2018, 07:54 PM
Were the players actually attacked or was this just a rumour made up by an obese, slug-like creature to deflect attention away from something else?

Iggy Pope
20-06-2018, 08:04 PM
You’re not wrong. But you are being pendantic. Sporting Lisbon is used throughout football coverage across Europe.

Or perhaps other things beginning with a P. Perplexing,, pointless , stuff like that.
I grew up knowing I had watched us hammer Sporting Lisbon and I've been to matches at both them and Benfica. And Estoril. Who were playing Porto....another P....oh, wait....Hibs slippered those as well and they were called something else...

nellio
20-06-2018, 08:10 PM
Or perhaps other things beginning with a P. Perplexing,, pointless , stuff like that.
I grew up knowing I had watched us hammer Sporting Lisbon and I've been to matches at both them and Benfica. And Estoril. Who were playing Porto....another P....oh, wait....Hibs slippered those as well and they were called something else...

It's not Hibs. It's Hibernian Edinburgh. Hibs is simply not correct as you have not stated the full name of the club so Hibernian Edinburgh cannot be involved.

Since90+2
20-06-2018, 08:11 PM

In this country nobody would refer to Benfica as Sporting Lisbon , they would refer to them as Benfica.

jacomo
20-06-2018, 08:12 PM

Oh stop it.

A wee light hearted point of correction is one thing, but this is getting ridiculous.

Tell me, do you pronounce Paris as Paree or do you sometimes accept a bit of anglicisation of foreign names?

Iggy Pope
20-06-2018, 08:13 PM
It's not Hibs. It's Hibernian Edinburgh. Hibs is simply not correct as you have not stated the full name of the club so Hibernian Edinburgh cannot be involved.

:greengrin This never ends well for the Logic fellah in 'Viz'.

nellio
20-06-2018, 08:13 PM
Oh stop it.

A wee light hearted point of correction is one thing, but this is getting ridiculous.

Tell me, do you pronounce Paris as Paree or do you sometimes accept a bit of anglicisation of foreign names?

Paris St Germain football club. No idea who PSG are.

nellio
20-06-2018, 08:15 PM
:greengrin This never ends well for the Logic fellah in 'Viz'.

:greengrin used to pinch my old man's viz annuals when I was a kid. Found them hilarious.

hibsbollah
20-06-2018, 08:16 PM
This thread should win some sort of pedantry award.

neil7908
20-06-2018, 08:17 PM

I'm starting the petition to get Hibs.net changed to HibernianFootballClub.Internet. I'm tired with all the incorrect naming getting thrown around these days.

CropleyWasGod
20-06-2018, 08:30 PM
I'm starting the petition to get Hibs.net changed to HibernianFootballClub.Internet. I'm tired with all the incorrect naming getting thrown around these days.I think you'll find it's The Hibernian Football Club, ackcherly. [emoji851]

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

One Day Soon
20-06-2018, 08:31 PM
What happened here people? There's innocent bystanders getting involved and everything.

hibbycraig
20-06-2018, 08:54 PM
Trying to put money on them getting relegated. Anyone find any odds? Clubs are picking up bargains tho.

CropleyWasGod
20-06-2018, 09:03 PM
Trying to put money on them getting relegated. Anyone find any odds? Clubs are picking up bargains tho.Got some good prices on Sporting Life. [emoji849]

Mick O'Rourke
20-06-2018, 09:45 PM
I was not aware that Sporting were in so much financial trouble until i come across this thread,then searched for more information.
This is a very interesting article on what is going on

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/european/sporting-lisbon-bruno-de-carvalho-president-re-election-donald-trump-of-football-a7606676.html

Older Hibernian fans will of course remember that great night at the Holy Ground when Sporting came to town.
Up there with the best of our European nights.
Along with the Barcelona and Napoli home ties.
I wish them well.

Bit of trivia...

In the away leg against Sporting, Hibernian for the first time wore a purple kit.

Of course,the colour purple has been an "away kit" choice a number of times since.

Story goes it was our chairman Tom Hart's wife,Sheila,who chose that colour.

She wrote the B side to the Turnbull Tornadoes song as well ;-)

"Hibernian,give us a goal!"

A sentiment that was very apt when Alex Miller was manager ;-)

heretoday
21-06-2018, 03:02 AM
Right bunch of masons on this thread.
Sorry. Freemasons.

NAE NOOKIE
21-06-2018, 11:08 AM
I sympathise with their fans to be honest … I cant count the number of times in the past I've thought of heading along to East Mains and pulverising half our team with a baseball bat :greengrin

Seriously though …. the fans right to attack players begins and ends with giving them the bird from the stands during games, this is far from an isolated incident when it comes to European clubs, I'm pretty sure players cars have been vandalised during training at more than one club after a bad run of results, but when it turns from that to attacking the actual players who can blame them for moving on.

It doesn't matter a toss what a player is worth, if their employer cant guarantee their safety then IMO they have an automatic right to move on … they were saying that Sporting were talking of taking the players to court, they wouldn't have a prayer if you ask me. Bosman already proved that in the eyes of the law you cant treat human beings like slaves or commodities and I doubt a court anywhere with the European court looking over their shoulder would pass a judgment that infers you can.

hibsbollah
21-06-2018, 11:12 AM
Right bunch of masons on this thread.
Sorry. Freemasons.

It's more commonly known as the Craft. Get it right I'm so angry:grr:

Geo_1875
21-06-2018, 11:40 AM

And Scottish media constantly refer to Rangers when they talk about the team from Govan.

They're wrong but people know who they are talking about.

JeMeSouviens
21-06-2018, 11:55 AM
Cool, a pedantry thread in disguise. :aok: Excellent. Can I cover Spain?

Your handy cut out and keep guide to how Spanish people refer to various teams:

La Real = Real Sociedad
Madrid = Real Madrid
Atletico or Atleti = Atletico de Madrid
Athletic = Athletic Club (from Bilbao)
Barça = Barcelona and is pronounced Bar-sa, not Bar-tha or some *******isation thereof, it's a Catalan word and the cedilla should leave nobody in any doubt.

Final point to remember: THERE IS NO TEAM CALLED ATHLETICO! GOT IT? :grr:

Ah, that's better. :greengrin

Mick O'Rourke
21-06-2018, 12:04 PM
Cool, a pedantry thread in disguise. :aok: Excellent. Can I cover Spain?

Your handy cut out and keep guide to how Spanish people refer to various teams:

La Real = Real Sociedad
Madrid = Real Madrid
Atletico or Atleti = Atletico de Madrid
Athletic = Athletic Club (from Bilbao)
Barça = Barcelona and is pronounced Bar-sa, not Bar-tha or some *******isation thereof, it's a Catalan word and the cedilla should leave nobody in any doubt.

Final point to remember: THERE IS NO TEAM CALLED ATHLETICO! GOT IT? :grr:

Ah, that's better. :greengrin

Leith Athletic 0 V Preston Athletic 0 http://www.hibs.net/images/icons/icon11.png

JeMeSouviens
21-06-2018, 12:10 PM
I think you'll find it's The Hibernian Football Club, ackcherly. [emoji851]

Hang on just a minute. Isn't that, by your reckoning, the company that owns the club? Next you'll be admitting that RFC 2012 plc (formerly The Rangers Football Club plc) was Rangers and that The Rangers Football Club Limited (formerly Sevco Scotland) is Rangers*. :wink:

* but not the same Rangers. :cb

JeMeSouviens
21-06-2018, 12:14 PM
Leith Athletic 0 V Preston Athletic 0 http://www.hibs.net/images/icons/icon11.png

There's always one. :rolleyes:

Smartie
21-06-2018, 12:21 PM
Can anyone set me straight on the Milan teams?

CropleyWasGod
21-06-2018, 12:22 PM

AC Milanda are the better-bread team

JeMeSouviens
21-06-2018, 12:47 PM

Happy to help!

Football Club Internazionale Milano should be referred to as "Inter"
Associazione Calcio Milan should be referred to as "Milan", pronounced "MEE-lan" which you'd know if you watched James Richardson and his incredible sundaes on Gazzetta all those years ago!

Milan are called by the English language name for Milano because they were founded as a football and cricket club for English ex-pats. Inter are a breakaway from the same club who wanted to field foreign players.

Both clubs play at San Siro, officially called "Stadio Giuseppe Meazza". Meazza played for both clubs. If we'd moved to Straiton with the Jambos we could've had "Brian Hamilton Park". :wink:

oneone73
21-06-2018, 01:31 PM
Happy to help!

Football Club Internazionale Milano should be referred to as "Inter"
Associazione Calcio Milan should be referred to as "Milan", pronounced "MEE-lan" which you'd know if you watched James Richardson and his incredible sundaes on Gazzetta all those years ago!

Milan are called by the English language name for Milano because they were founded as a football and cricket club for English ex-pats. Inter are a breakaway from the same club who wanted to field foreign players.

Both clubs play at San Siro, officially called "Stadio Giuseppe Meazza". Meazza played for both clubs. If we'd moved to Straiton with the Jambos we could've had "Brian Hamilton Park". :wink:

Or Gordon Smith Park.

Smartie
21-06-2018, 01:52 PM
Or Gordon Smith Park.

I think I'd go for the Fraser Mullen Arena.

HibbyScott
21-06-2018, 03:23 PM
I think I'd go for the Fraser Mullen Arena.

The Faycal Rherras Dome