PDA

View Full Version : Female pundits

HUTCHYHIBBY
17-06-2018, 02:44 PM
Really impressed by Alex Scott, the girl on Sky Sports cricket is really good too.

1van Sprou7e
17-06-2018, 02:50 PM
cool story mate want to tell us again?

SouthMoroccoStu
17-06-2018, 03:17 PM
Lol when reading the tread title I thought it was going to be a critique of Aluko as part of the ITV World Cup coverage team

For what it’s worth, she’s bloody awful

Shrekko
17-06-2018, 03:19 PM
Really impressed by Alex Scott, the girl on Sky Sports cricket is really good too.

I don’t care if they are men or women as long as they give an insight. Alex Scott is really enthusiastic but just a cliche machine when it comes to analysis... just like a lot of the other ex players.

blackpoolhibs
17-06-2018, 03:26 PM

Cant believe i just saw you walking past a pub in Blackpool, i can believe i saw you in Blackpool, but cant believe you walked past the pub Colin. :wink:

Broken Gnome
17-06-2018, 03:27 PM
I don’t care if they are men or women as long as they give an insight. Alex Scott is really enthusiastic but just a cliche machine when it comes to analysis... just like a lot of the other ex players.

Aye.

I can't get used to them - too enthusiastic in a way that comes across a bit 'fanboyish' and when they move beyond the cliches there's just something about the way they word their analysis that doesn't seem quite right.

Complaints equally applicable to a lot of male pundits, of course.

HUTCHYHIBBY
17-06-2018, 03:54 PM
Cant believe i just saw you walking past a pub in Blackpool, i can believe i saw you in Blackpool, but cant believe you walked past the pub Colin. :wink:

By the responses on this thread just as well I never mentioned female pundits either. Anyone sang Mack the knife yet?

HUTCHYHIBBY
17-06-2018, 03:55 PM

Probably get deleted would it not?

HUTCHYHIBBY
17-06-2018, 03:56 PM

Probably get deleted would it not? ;-)

nellio
17-06-2018, 03:58 PM
Alex Scott is superb but Aluko on itv is terrible. She was with Giggs a few days ago couldn't decide who was worse.

HUTCHYHIBBY
17-06-2018, 04:00 PM
Alex Scott is superb but Aluko on itv is terrible. She was with Giggs a few days ago couldn't decide who was worse.

Clearly someone that knows his stuff. :-)

1van Sprou7e
17-06-2018, 04:08 PM
Probably get deleted would it not? ;-)

hahaha

IGRIGI
17-06-2018, 04:08 PM
I switch it off when a woman tries to give her opinion on football.

1van Sprou7e
17-06-2018, 04:10 PM

Giggs has the charisma of a wet rag

https://twitter.com/mousea25/status/1007633806289928192

Since90+2
17-06-2018, 04:14 PM
Aluko, Evra and Giggs are all terrible pundits. Gary Neville and Ferdinand are pretty decent and thought Larsson came across fairly well.

One Day Soon
17-06-2018, 04:17 PM
Radio 5 Live has a female football pundit fairly frequently and she's excellent. I think the one who is a former full back they have on either the BBC or ITV for this World Cup is as at least as good if not better than most of the men too.

chinaman
17-06-2018, 04:21 PM

pat nevin on audio.
**** listening to that neville tool.

matty_f
17-06-2018, 04:32 PM
The female pundits have offered better insight than their male colleagues, imho. It's good to hear folk who don't just roll out the same old punditry clichés.

matty_f
17-06-2018, 04:32 PM

You're missing out.

FitbaFolkKen
17-06-2018, 04:37 PM
The female pundits have offered better insight than their male colleagues, imho. It's good to hear folk who don't just roll out the same old punditry clichés.

Agreed, it's freshened up the format a bit and if we are honest some of the existing pundits are pretty rubbish. Can't decide whether some folk on this thread are fishing or not.

GreenCastle
17-06-2018, 04:38 PM

Some of the male pundits are horrendous and that includes the commentators..Butcher..McCoist ?!! Would rather listen we no sound.

The females seem to do some research while the males seem to try blag it just because they have played the game.

Captain Trips
17-06-2018, 04:39 PM
Not a thing for me if male or female I rate them on what they say.

blackpoolhibs
17-06-2018, 04:46 PM
I never listened to the ex wife, im not about to start now.

Pretty Boy
17-06-2018, 05:02 PM
There's some excellent female pundits in football and other sports and some poor ones too. Same as with men really.

Ryan Giggs has been the worst of the lot so far. He must be packing something special as his personality isn't charmimg anyone into bed.

hibsbollah
17-06-2018, 05:02 PM

Bizarre.

Tomsk
17-06-2018, 05:03 PM
Radio 5 Live has a female football pundit fairly frequently and she's excellent. I think the one who is a former full back they have on either the BBC or ITV for this World Cup is as at least as good if not better than most of the men too.

I will have to take your word for it. As soon as they start speaking I switch off both metaphorically and in most instances literally.

SanFranHibs
17-06-2018, 05:11 PM
I switch it off when a woman tries to give her opinion <strike>on football</strike>.

Fixed.

Greentinted
17-06-2018, 05:12 PM
Couldn’t care less what gender the pundits/commentators/freeloaders/hangers-on are. Is long overdue the old boys pundit club was shaken up. I like Jaquie Oatley and Jermaine Jenas presently.
Particularly cant stand Pearce, Tyldesley and of course Lawro the lugubrious.

Mibbes Aye
17-06-2018, 05:17 PM
Couldn’t care less what gender the pundits/commentators/freeloaders/hangers-on are. Is long overdue the old boys pundit club was shaken up. I like Jaquie Oatley and Jermaine Jenas presently.
Particularly cant stand Pearce, Tyldesley and of course Lawro the lugubrious.

:agree:

Tyldesley is excruciating.

I thought Aluko was okay.

Said it before, but some of the guys who were on programmes like the European Football Show on BT, and things like Talksport before that, would be great - Honnigstein, Balague, Marcotti, Hunter etc. I assume they are tied up to other broadcasters.

Sid Lowe was on one of the channels talking about Spain's turmoils and that was good.

As you say, gender doesn't matter a jot, it's the quality and insight of the co-commentary or analysis that matters to me

SideBurns
17-06-2018, 05:18 PM
Dalglish's daughter, Kelly Cates, is different class on 5 Live. I'd listen to her every day before most of the ex-players who have played in World Cups, European Finals etc. Including her dad 😁

Pretty Boy
17-06-2018, 05:22 PM
What ever happened to James Richardson? He was differenr class on Football Italia and his Setanfa show was decent as well.

B.H.F.C
17-06-2018, 05:24 PM
What ever happened to James Richardson? He was differenr class on Football Italia and his Setanfa show was decent as well.

He does some of the foreign coverage on BT Sport.

CMurdoch
17-06-2018, 05:24 PM
Most of the pundits are truly boring.
A pundit should give great insight (G. Neville), be controversial (Sutton), or funny (Strachan).
The vast majority are none of the above and offer only the most banal match chat.

I am happy for female pundits to take over from them.
There are of course some appalling female sport anchors e.g. Gabby Yorath & Claire Balding whose "Hiya" vibe truly ruins sports programmes.

CMurdoch
17-06-2018, 05:28 PM
Dalglish's daughter, Kelly Cates, is different class on 5 Live. I'd listen to her every day before most of the ex-players who have played in World Cups, European Finals etc. Including her dad 😁

The ex players are the pits and generally the better the player they were the more tedious they tend to be.

Is It On....
17-06-2018, 05:30 PM
Patrice Evra was apparently very patronising to Ms Aluko. With a bit of luck he will get the bullet and they can appoint Clarence Seedorf who in previous World Cups has been the best (in my opinion) pundit on TV.

Pretty Boy
17-06-2018, 05:33 PM
Patrice Evra was apparently very patronising to Ms Aluko. With a bit of luck he will get the bullet and they can appoint Clarence Seedorf who in previous World Cups has been the best (in my opinion) pundit on TV.

Seedorf was brilliant.

I thought Evra was steaming today.

B.H.F.C
17-06-2018, 05:36 PM
The cynic in me thinks the female pundits are a box ticking exercise from the broadcasters.

There are some good female presenters out there which is obviously totally different to doing the punditry stuff.

Having said that, there are plenty pish male pundits around as well.

Famous Fiver
17-06-2018, 05:39 PM
To turn this thread on it's head did anyone here Willie Miller being a pundit on the Scottish Women's football?

Clueless, no research done and an embarrassment. Mind you he's not much better when describing the men's game.

hibsbollah
17-06-2018, 05:40 PM

BT sport quite often. He does the Totally football podcast and the Golazzo Italian football podcast three times a week during the season.

One Day Soon
17-06-2018, 05:41 PM
I never listened to the ex wife, im not about to start now.

Which show was she on?

One Day Soon
17-06-2018, 05:43 PM

That's the one. I didn't know she was KK's daughter. She's always a really good listen.

SideBurns

One Day Soon

:agree:

matty_f
17-06-2018, 05:44 PM

He clapped he after she gave some insight, it did come across as really patronising to be fair.

One Day Soon
17-06-2018, 05:45 PM
He clapped he after she gave some insight, it did come across as really patronising to be fair.

What an utter tool.

Mibbes Aye
17-06-2018, 05:47 PM
What an utter tool.

Nae need, Matty's only posting what he saw.

One Day Soon
17-06-2018, 05:48 PM
Nae need, Matty's only posting what he saw.

I just felt I had to call him out...

Brooster
17-06-2018, 06:14 PM
The cynic in me thinks the female pundits are a box ticking exercise from the broadcasters.

Of course it is. They add nothing other a few pre rehearsed stats and a few blatantly obvious soundbites. Saying that some of the males are equally as bad. Ferdinand, Shearer and McCoist have been the best so far in my opinion.

Captain Trips
17-06-2018, 06:19 PM
In most cases they all just state the obvious that anyone with some knowledge of the game would have known or said.

Sometimes funny though was it Kris Commons when asked about about Hearts season he just kept silent or was it their attacking play?

blackpoolhibs
17-06-2018, 06:25 PM
Which show was she on?

It was called married to Blackpool, never stopped bloody talking all the way through it, no bugger else got a word in.

neil7908
17-06-2018, 06:35 PM

Really hope that's just a poor joke

One Day Soon
17-06-2018, 06:36 PM
It was called married to Blackpool, never stopped bloody talking all the way through it, no bugger else got a word in.

There was no advance warning this might turn out to be the case?

itslegaltender
17-06-2018, 06:40 PM
Found their comments to be banal and if they were male pannelists we would be decrying their vacuousness.

Colr
17-06-2018, 06:45 PM

Let’s hope you never meet Leeann Dempster, then!

matty_f
17-06-2018, 06:54 PM
I just felt I had to call him out...

Harsh but fair.

blackpoolhibs
17-06-2018, 06:55 PM
There was no advance warning this might turn out to be the case?

No, she'd have been no good in any of charlie chaplins films.

One Day Soon
17-06-2018, 06:56 PM

:tee hee:

The Pointer
17-06-2018, 07:13 PM
Wrong, just wrong.

HUTCHYHIBBY
17-06-2018, 07:16 PM

She must be a singer to get you involved with those lady "boy" singers though.

heretoday
17-06-2018, 07:18 PM
Most pundits are terrible so I don't watch them any more.

Ralphy C
17-06-2018, 07:18 PM
If there was any patronising then it was surely the female presenter's doing.

Liberal Hibby
17-06-2018, 07:42 PM
The fundamentalproblem isn't people's gender it's their experience. Broadcasters now bend over backwards to sign any ex player regardless of whether they can string a coherent sentence together. Gone are any actual journalistic or analytical skills all that matters is the cliched dressing room banter.

There are a tiny number of exceptions. John McEnroe on tennis is one.

madabouthibs
17-06-2018, 07:44 PM
I like Ally Mccoist, I really do. 😁

hibsbollah
17-06-2018, 07:44 PM
The fundamentalproblem isn't people's gender it's their experience. Broadcasters now bend over backwards to sign any ex player regardless of whether they can string a coherent sentence together. Gone are any actual journalistic or analytical skills all that matters is the cliched dressing room banter.

:agree: Mcenroe is the example all sportspeople turned media hacks should aspire to. But you have to have an interesting, engaging personality in the first place. Michael Johnson is also good on BBC athletics IMO.

mixumatosis
17-06-2018, 08:10 PM
:agree: Mcenroe is the example all sportspeople turned media hacks should aspire to. But you have to have an interesting, engaging personality in the first place. Michael Johnson is also good on BBC athletics IMO.

Was just going to mention Michael Johnson and agree about Mcenroe. David Millar is good on itv's cycling coverage too.

I think it is good that both broadcasters have added a female perspective to their coverage and don't really care that it is fairly transparently an attempt to show how diverse their organisation is. I do dislike how, from what I've seen, they seem determined to mimic their male colleagues who are to a man, ****.

DarlingtonHibee
17-06-2018, 08:13 PM
I like Ally Mccoist, I really do. 😁

Brilliant on talk sport with Alan Brazil.

Brightside
17-06-2018, 08:16 PM
Lol when reading the tread title I thought it was going to be a critique of Aluko as part of the ITV World Cup coverage team

For what it’s worth, she’s bloody awful

FWIW you are miles off it. She knows a damn site more than the majority of pundits on ITV.

BoomtownHibees
17-06-2018, 08:17 PM
A ***** pundit is a ***** pundit. Male or female

CMurdoch
17-06-2018, 08:21 PM

Yeah, McEnroe is good

CMurdoch
17-06-2018, 08:25 PM

Poor Michael has to tolerate Gabby Yorath's inane drivel

HUTCHYHIBBY
17-06-2018, 09:20 PM
Yeah, McEnroe is good

You can not be serious.

Lago
17-06-2018, 09:33 PM
Poor Michael has to tolerate Gabby Yorath's inane drivel
Known as Logan

Liam6270
17-06-2018, 09:34 PM
They’re rubbish, bring back Hansen and Big Ron

Thecat23
17-06-2018, 09:41 PM
Most of them are ****, male and female. Shouldn’t matter what sex they are, they should be open to getting criticised if they are poor and so far they pretty much all are. I’d rather turn over than listen to bland male pundits or over excited girl pundits.

Wilson
17-06-2018, 09:47 PM
Known as Logan

Then she'd better trim her nails...

HUTCHYHIBBY
17-06-2018, 09:52 PM
Then she'd better trim her nails...

Or go for a run.

jgl07
17-06-2018, 10:43 PM
Seedorf was brilliant.

I thought Evra was steaming today.

Evra is probably the worst pundit I have seen for a long time.

Up against some stiff competition.

Captain Trips
17-06-2018, 10:46 PM
I just find myself turning on at start of match at half time making food or something else and at full time turning it off.

They really are not going to tell you anything you won't know already so tend to just not bother with them.

SunshineOnLeith
17-06-2018, 11:43 PM
If there was any patronising then it was surely the female presenter's doing.

Yup, she had the temerity to voice an opinion. She was asking for it.

Women, know your limits.

cocteautwin
18-06-2018, 04:29 AM
Without wishing to start a debate, I've always thought a lot of the female pundits wouldn't have got their jobs if they were less than semi attractive. Funny that.

JimBHibees
18-06-2018, 06:20 AM

:rotflmao:

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
18-06-2018, 06:25 AM
Without wishing to start a debate, I've always thought a lot of the female pundits wouldn't have got their jobs if they were less than semi attractive. Funny that.

Agree mostly, but Aluko is not attractive.

It also helps having a dad who was a footballer or sportsman, am Hayley McQueen, Kelly dalgish, gabby yorath and Kirsty gallachwr

Stokesy's on fire
18-06-2018, 06:58 AM

Cesc Fabregas is a pretty good pundit impressed with him.

But there is no greater female pundit than oor Kirsty since shes got Hibs in her DNA

allezsauzee
18-06-2018, 07:24 AM
Agree mostly, but Aluko is not attractive.

It also helps having a dad who was a footballer or sportsman, am Hayley McQueen, Kelly dalgish, gabby yorath and Kirsty gallachwr

Harsh!

Green&White
18-06-2018, 07:28 AM
I liked aluko. Was the best of the 3 with evra and larrson. She nailed it at half time when she said she thinks serbia are about to score playing the way they are. Larrson disagreed and she ended up spot on. Seems to have done some good research and not just giving her opinion.
Jenas is my fav tho

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

DstN75
18-06-2018, 07:34 AM
Actually think the format of live football on TV doesn't help. The pundits don't have much time and it takes a lot of skill to say something incisive and fresh in the circumstances.

I listened to World Cup Breakfast on Five Live on Friday (I think) and Rio Ferdinand was on. Don't think a great deal of him, and even less of Robbie Savage who presents it, but because they had a bit of time the insight was much better and went beyond the usual cliches. Ferdinand talked a lot about how he defended against different players, how different styles affected how he set himself up, the way he made decisions etc. It was really interesting but I don't think you get enough leeway to do it on live TV.

As for those who 'switch off when women come on' - wow. Imagine if they let the little ladies play the sport or, god forbid, run a football club. You'd have to emigrate or something.

JimBHibees
18-06-2018, 08:34 AM
I quite like it when they mix it up a bit. Really depressing when they have 3 ex England players on as by and large they will have the same or similar views. Good to get decent international ex players with different perspectives as it makes it more interesting. No doubt tonight we will have totally English view. Again the female perspective is a good initiative as hopefully it will give a different view on things.