PDA

View Full Version : Most Poplar Sport In Edinburgh

Keith_M
17-06-2018, 10:50 AM
"Makers of a new official Monopoly board honouring Edinburgh want to know which sport is most popular in the capital.

Sports fans are to decide whether to have a football, a rugby ball, a golfball or even a cricket ball as a new playing piece for the new edition."

Scotsman Article

(http://Makers of a new official Monopoly board honouring Edinburgh want to know which sport is most popular in the capital.Sports fans are to decide whether to have a football, a rugby ball, a golfball or even a cricket ball as a new playing piece for the new edition.)

Do we really want to suffer the indignity of having a Rugby or Tennis Ball representing Edinburgh's sporting preference?

Make your vote count and show them what kind of balls we've got!!

Pretty Boy
17-06-2018, 11:03 AM
Add up the annual attendance at club football games then add up the attendance at rugby (club), cricket, basketball, hockey, darts, bog snorkeling etc combined, compare the two and you have the answer.

Even counting the 6 nations brigade football probably still wins.

vercol36
17-06-2018, 11:07 AM
Most poplar sport in Edinburgh....

Logging?

JimboHibs
17-06-2018, 11:08 AM
"Makers of a new official Monopoly board honouring Edinburgh want to know which sport is most popular in the capital.

Sports fans are to decide whether to have a football, a rugby ball, a golfball or even a cricket ball as a new playing piece for the new edition."

Scotsman Article

(http://Makers of a new official Monopoly board honouring Edinburgh want to know which sport is most popular in the capital. Sports fans are to decide whether to have a football, a rugby ball, a golfball or even a cricket ball as a new playing piece for the new edition.)

Do we really want to suffer the indignity of having a Rugby or Tennis Ball representing Edinburgh's sporting preference?

Serious question would it really bother you what's on a board game?

CropleyWasGod
17-06-2018, 11:57 AM

Logging?Fir God's sake

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

PiemanP
17-06-2018, 12:09 PM
not being remotely interested in rugby but always been interested to know why Edinburgh get such poor crowds? It’s essentially a one team city and they can only muster a few thousand at games whilst the two football teams are pulling in 15k plus every second week (which for the size of the city is very impressive btw!)

A Hi-Bee
17-06-2018, 12:23 PM
Peevers!

hibsbollah
17-06-2018, 12:25 PM
Trolling.

ancient hibee
17-06-2018, 12:27 PM
not being remotely interested in rugby but always been interested to know why Edinburgh get such poor crowds? It’s essentially a one team city and they can only muster a few thousand at games whilst the two football teams are pulling in 15k plus every second week (which for the size of the city is very impressive btw!)
As you’re not remotely interested I refuse to tell you why:greengrin

Keith_M
17-06-2018, 12:46 PM
Serious question would it really bother you what's on a board game?

The indignity of my favourite city being represented by odd shaped balls?

Of course!

Keith_M
17-06-2018, 12:48 PM

I would dispute that, but that's a different debate. :wink:

wookie70
17-06-2018, 01:09 PM
Yew wood have to be nuts to think it wasn't football

Prof. Shaggy
17-06-2018, 01:27 PM
Fir God's sake

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Let's not branch out to religion.

jgl07
17-06-2018, 01:32 PM

It is actually piss poor. Look at attendances in Manchester, Liverpool, Birmingham, and even Sheffield.

FilipinoHibs
17-06-2018, 01:35 PM

Scotsman Article

(http://Makers of a new official Monopoly board honouring Edinburgh want to know which sport is most popular in the capital. Sports fans are to decide whether to have a football, a rugby ball, a golfball or even a cricket ball as a new playing piece for the new edition.)

With 400,000 fans it must be hoofball

Keith_M
17-06-2018, 01:39 PM
With 400,000 fans it must be hoofball

:greengrin

AltheHibby
17-06-2018, 01:49 PM

Logging?

You wood say that, woodn't you?

Keith_M
17-06-2018, 01:51 PM

Logging?

Only in the more secluded Car Parks

Oh, sorry, you said logging.

Pretty Boy
17-06-2018, 02:00 PM
It is actually piss poor. Look at attendances in Manchester, Liverpool, Birmingham, and even Sheffield.

The Greater Manchester area has a population of 2.8M, Liverpool Met Area is 2.2M, Birmingham Urban Area is 2.4M and Sheffield is 1.6M. By contrast Edinburghs local authority area is just over 500K and the entire Edinburgh and SE Scotland area is 1.3M.

The average attendance of Liverpool and Everton as a whole is about 44K. Hibs and Hearts is about 18200. By head of population there's not a lot in it. The Sheffield clubs combined average is about 25K so again not a massive disparity. Birmingham, West Brom and Aston Villa combined is an average of about 24K so again hardly leaving us miles behind. Manchester is an anomaly but there's a global brand and the tourist pound to consider there.

It's documented and acknowledged that when it comes to attending football matches both Scotland and England punch their weight.

One Day Soon
17-06-2018, 02:08 PM
Hen and Stag nights would be well up there if considered a sport.

Famous Fiver
17-06-2018, 02:13 PM
Tree hugging?

Radium
17-06-2018, 02:47 PM
Surely the most poplar sport has to be bowls, although folk tend to use the plastic ones nowadays

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jgl07
17-06-2018, 03:34 PM
The Greater Manchester area has a population of 2.8M, Liverpool Met Area is 2.2M, Birmingham Urban Area is 2.4M and Sheffield is 1.6M. By contrast Edinburghs local authority area is just over 500K and the entire Edinburgh and SE Scotland area is 1.3M.

The average attendance of Liverpool and Everton as a whole is about 44K. Hibs and Hearts is about 18200. By head of population there's not a lot in it. The Sheffield clubs combined average is about 25K so again not a massive disparity. Birmingham, West Brom and Aston Villa combined is an average of about 24K so again hardly leaving us miles behind. Manchester is an anomaly but there's a global brand and the tourist pound to consider there.

It's documented and acknowledged that when it comes to attending football matches both Scotland and England punch their weight.

You are totally overlooking the fact that Greater Manchester has many more fairly well supported teams. There is Wigan Athletic, Bolton Wanderers, Bury, Rochdale, and Oldham Athletic. That is before you get around to Macclesfield and a group of non-League clubs from Stockport, Tameside and Salford. All of the above pull in far better crowds than Edinburgh City or Spartans.

The only thing which brings up the crowds in Scotland is the vast hordes going to Parkhead and Ibrox. The vast numbers who travel through from Edinburgh (and all over Scotland) to Glasgow on match days illustrates this point.

wookie70
17-06-2018, 04:55 PM

Scotland per capita is the best in the world barring some very small nations. It is something our FA should be shouting from the rooftops

Chic Murray
17-06-2018, 04:56 PM
Fishing usually comes near the top of any list of popular sports. It's definitely got its plaice.

Famous Fiver
17-06-2018, 05:03 PM
Got it now. Most POPULAR sports.

I was with the OP when I went for tree hugging.

TelaStella
17-06-2018, 05:20 PM
Football obviously? Can’t believe we’re even having this debate.

Famous Fiver
17-06-2018, 05:37 PM
We're having this debate because it is close season and we are all champing at the bit for next season.

Just filling in time on random meaningless topics, in my opinion.

lapsedhibee
17-06-2018, 05:41 PM
not being remotely interested in rugby but always been interested to know why Edinburgh get such poor crowds?
Is it because rugby's **** ? :dunno:

snooky
17-06-2018, 05:50 PM
Judging by the local swarms of infestation, I'd say bloody cycling. :fuming:

Scouse Hibee
17-06-2018, 05:54 PM
Surely the most poplar sport has to be bowls, although folk tend to use the plastic ones nowadays

Sadly numbers are in decline.

jacomo
17-06-2018, 07:00 PM

Edinburgh is a franchise club.

The genuine club scene for rugby was in the Borders and lots of folk from Edinburgh used to travel down to Hawick or Gala for games.

All abandoned in the name of professionalism.

BILLYHIBS
17-06-2018, 07:06 PM
Upskirting?

CMurdoch
17-06-2018, 08:33 PM
Table Tennis

Forza Fred
18-06-2018, 05:15 AM
Jambo baiting?

Bostonhibby
18-06-2018, 07:16 AM
400,000 at least seem to get something out of inserting their small change into life sized plastic farmyard animals but is it a sport or a fetish?

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

CMurdoch
18-06-2018, 04:05 PM
400,000 at least seem to get something out of inserting their small change into life sized plastic farmyard animals but is it a sport or a fetish?

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk :greengrin

Onion
18-06-2018, 04:07 PM
Supporting Hibs.

It's a secret, guilty pleasure of so many of a disgruntled Yam persuasion :greengrin

snedzuk
20-06-2018, 06:38 AM

I take it 'small change' is a euphemism.

LancsHibs
20-06-2018, 06:46 AM
Hammer throwing seems very popular within a certain community but I think it’s popularity is on the decline

danhibees1875
20-06-2018, 06:49 AM
I could see how a rugby ball on a tee would be the most logical monopoly piece though.

Bostonhibby
20-06-2018, 07:43 AM
I take it 'small change' is a euphemism.[emoji106]

surreyhibbie
20-06-2018, 07:46 AM
I actually like Football, Golf and Rugby

In that order of course!:greengrin