PDA

View Full Version : Hampden redevelopment

H18 SFR
16-06-2018, 09:05 PM
Not trying to impersonate the Cat here...the east stand at Hampden to be flattened and redeveloped.

staunchhibby
16-06-2018, 09:09 PM
The cat is a hard act to follow:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Mikers110
16-06-2018, 09:10 PM
Not trying to impersonate the Cat here...the east stand at Hampden to be flattened and redeveloped.

Surely you would do both the east and west, as doing only one will give a very strange looking stadium.

sauzee6_2
16-06-2018, 09:12 PM
Only if the SFA decide to stay at Hampden 😉

bingo70
16-06-2018, 09:16 PM

Do you mean the north?

Think the East and west are behind the goals, the south is the main stand and the north is the scabby one opposite.

Hopefully it’s the north that’s being made the same as the south and the next phase to be moving the ends behind the goals closer to the pitch.

Captain Trips
16-06-2018, 09:25 PM
East and West need to be brought in pitch side.

tamig
16-06-2018, 09:25 PM
Do you mean the north?

Think the East and west are behind the goals, the south is the main stand and the north is the scabby one opposite.

Hopefully it’s the north that’s being made the same as the south and the next phase to be moving the ends behind the goals closer to the pitch.
Its behind the goals that are the main issue for me. Maybe they’re doing one end at a time for cost purposes. The north can wait.

H18 SFR
16-06-2018, 09:28 PM
Do you mean the north?

Defo the east. Being moved closer to the pitch.

Broken Gnome
16-06-2018, 09:32 PM

More anti-Rangers bias.

adhibs
16-06-2018, 09:40 PM
The east our end? Sounds good.

Joe6-2
16-06-2018, 09:40 PM
Still be a sh**hole

bingo70
16-06-2018, 09:42 PM

Cool, I don’t know why I’m surprised but I am.

Will that be 4 different shaped stands then? Will be like a big fir park

ScottB
16-06-2018, 09:54 PM
With it hosting games during Euro 2020, I cant see them doing it before then?

iwasthere1972
16-06-2018, 09:57 PM

That's good. At my age that was a long run to get on the pitch to goad the opposition fans.

CMurdoch
16-06-2018, 09:57 PM

Good. Behind each goal is an appalling view. Half a mile from the pitch.

HH81
16-06-2018, 10:08 PM
Why would they do the east but not the west?

bingo70
16-06-2018, 10:11 PM

It’s the SFA

Sir David Gray
16-06-2018, 10:35 PM
The east stand? Surely you mean the Sir David Gray end?

CapitalGreen
16-06-2018, 10:39 PM
Cool, I don’t know why I’m surprised but I am.

Will that be 4 different shaped stands then? Will be like a big fir park

The view of the pitch from the stands is more important than the view of stands from the pitch.

badabing67
16-06-2018, 11:33 PM
Only if the SFA decide to stay at Hampden 😉

In case anyone is wondering

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/sfa-plan-buy-hampden-deal-12067172

we are hibs
17-06-2018, 07:25 AM
Still an absolute dump in and around the ground so won't make much difference. The SFA were never leaving Hampden to move out with Glasgow. They think football is a Glasgow sport and non-existent out with that ****hole of a city

bod
17-06-2018, 07:28 AM
Have Queen’s Park accepted the sfa’s bid ? Did the sfa even bid or was it just paper talk ?

Diclonius
17-06-2018, 08:21 AM
Wow, what a renovation.

Why don't they rebuild BOTH behind the goal stands and build an extra tier. Then it might actually be a semi decent international stadium.

Billy Whizz
17-06-2018, 08:26 AM

Where are you seeing this, can’t find anything on it?

Ozyhibby
17-06-2018, 08:46 AM
Where are you seeing this, can’t find anything on it?

There won’t be a decision till later in the summer on whether to go to Murrayfield and make more money for the game or stay at hampden and saddle the game with enormous debt as they try to rebuild it.
It’s the SFA so Hampden is the favourite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Billy Whizz
17-06-2018, 08:53 AM
There won’t be a decision till later in the summer on whether to go to Murrayfield and make more money for the game or stay at hampden and saddle the game with enormous debt as they try to rebuild it.

That was my understanding too, but the OP suggested we were pulling down the East, thought I’d missed something

bod
17-06-2018, 09:23 AM
I think they'll stay but would rather they took internationals around the country

tamig
17-06-2018, 09:28 AM

They will do both ends but likely to be a phased development so they’ll do it one end at at a time. I don’t think there’s any way it would be left with two lop-sided ends.

JimBHibees
17-06-2018, 09:29 AM

No doubt decision already made by the blazers to protect their fiefdom irrespective if better or not for the game.

Greenworld
17-06-2018, 09:50 AM
No doubt decision already made by the blazers to protect their fiefdom irrespective if better or not for the game.It's crazy to even be thinking of redevelopment of Hampden.
Murrayfield home of both games would be a fantastic move and dare I say sensible.
I think it is well documented that a large proportion of support for scotland football comes from East coast

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

BoomtownHibees
17-06-2018, 11:16 AM
It's crazy to even be thinking of redevelopment of Hampden.
Murrayfield home of both games would be a fantastic move and dare I say sensible.
I think it is well documented that a large proportion of support for scotland football comes from East coast

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Murrayfield gives the same “miles away from the pitch” issue as Hampden when its a football pitch

I would love for Scotland games to be played in Edinburgh but if Hampden is re-developed to be more fan-friendly then that would be the best option imo

Billy Whizz
17-06-2018, 11:24 AM
Murrayfield gives the same “miles away from the pitch” issue as Hampden when its a football pitch

I would love for Scotland games to be played in Edinburgh but if Hampden is re-developed to be more fan-friendly then that would be the best option imo

Think they will be relying on qualifying for a Euro’s or World Cup, to pay for it. N. Ireland got more than €10million for qualifying for Euro 2016

MagicSwirlingShip
17-06-2018, 11:52 AM
The SFA should follow the lead of Juventus. Their old ground the Stadio delle Alpi was widely derided by their fans, due to the stands being so far from the pitch due to a pointless running track.

They buzzdozed the full stadium in 2009 and started again, replacing the 69,000 capacity Delle Alpi with the compact, modern and imposing 41,000 seater Juventus Stadium.

Juventus have an imperious record at the new stadium, losing only 3 in their first 100 matches.

Lessons to be learned SFA

ancient hibee
17-06-2018, 12:48 PM
Where are the SFA going to get the money from?

Keith_M
17-06-2018, 12:54 PM

How much UK Government money was gifted for the re-building of Wembley, and for the building of the Olympic Stadium?

Maybe if Westminster gave even the 200m+ they donated to Wembley, we could end up with something half-decent at Hampden.

Billy Whizz
17-06-2018, 01:05 PM

Apart from qualification, a bit of land around Hampden to develop, if they were able to pull in the ends. Although not sure who’d get planning permission to build on it

Keith_M
17-06-2018, 01:45 PM
Apart from qualification, a bit of land around Hampden to develop, if they were able to pull in the ends. Although not sure who’d get planning permission to build on it

That's not a bad idea Billy.

I'm sure they'd allowed development for housing, at least on the east side.

superfurryhibby
17-06-2018, 01:46 PM
Maybe the money earmarked for any Hampden upgrade would be better spent by the SFA on grass roots facilities? With two large stadiums in Glasgow and one in Edinburgh, it seems insane to redevelop.

Tradition and history is a factor, but unless we see fundamental shifting of priorities by our inept governing body that’s about we’ll have left.

Billy Whizz
17-06-2018, 02:16 PM
That's not a bad idea Billy.

I'm sure they'd allowed development for housing, at least on the east side.

Gary O’Hagen’s working as a consultant at Hampden, got lots of experience in developing Easter Rd, so you never know

ancient hibee
17-06-2018, 02:17 PM
English FA are going to sell Wembley and put the money into grass roots(literally) concentrating on improving pitches at local level all over England.There really is no need for a national authority to waste money in owning a stadium and we seem to have managed to get by without one for a long time.

Billy Whizz
17-06-2018, 02:24 PM
English FA are going to sell Wembley and put the money into grass roots(literally) concentrating on improving pitches at local level all over England.There really is no need for a national authority to waste money in owning a stadium and we seem to have managed to get by without one for a long time.

AH, you make a great point, we probably don’t. Only thing is we don’t own Hampden to sell it just now. Maybe agree a deal with QP to buy it, rehouse them somewhere close by, sell the site, and share the proceeds
Not sure the square footage of the site, but must be worth a small fortune, providing someone can build on it

ancient hibee
17-06-2018, 02:28 PM
AH, you make a great point, we probably don’t. Only thing is we don’t own Hampden to sell it just now. Maybe agree a deal with QP to buy it, rehouse them somewhere close by, sell the site, and share the proceeds
Not sure the square footage of the site, but must be worth a small fortune, providing someone can build on it
But is there ever going to be at the SFA with the bottle to sell Hampden for housing:greengrin

Juniper Greens
17-06-2018, 02:31 PM

I read somewhere that with the associated costs of clearing the land, and the relative low land value, there was unlikely to be profit in flattening and selling the site to a developer, I think this is why the SFA have QP over a barrel.

Ozyhibby
17-06-2018, 02:31 PM
If we have £40m (the rough cost of redeveloping Hampden) would it not be better to spend that on artificial pitches, coach education etc to help develop future Scotland players?
We have a perfectly good stadium at Murrayfield.

Billy Whizz
17-06-2018, 02:47 PM
If we have £40m (the rough cost of redeveloping Hampden) would it not be better to spend that on artificial pitches, coach education etc to help develop future Scotland players?
We have a perfectly good stadium at Murrayfield.

SFA have just got a new Chief Excetive in, seems to be a person with modern thinking I’m told. Hopefully he considers all the best options, before coming to a decision

blackpoolhibs
17-06-2018, 03:18 PM
The SFA should follow the lead of Juventus. Their old ground the Stadio delle Alpi was widely derided by their fans, due to the stands being so far from the pitch due to a pointless running track.

They buzzdozed the full stadium in 2009 and started again, replacing the 69,000 capacity Delle Alpi with the compact, modern and imposing 41,000 seater Juventus Stadium.

Juventus have an imperious record at the new stadium, losing only 3 in their first 100 matches.

Lessons to be learned SFA

Only problem i can see is i cannae see Juve wanting to play there home games in Glasgow? :wink:

hibbyfraelibby
17-06-2018, 04:07 PM
The best way to redevelop Hamdump is with a wrecking ball

TelaStella
17-06-2018, 05:38 PM
Sure this will be shot down instantly but I’ll put it out here regardless, as a different opinion. Hampden, as poor a stadium it has become is the home of Scottish football, always has been and as far as I’m concerned always will be. Nothing to do with Glasgow being prioritised over Edinburgh, if Scotland had chosen to play their first internationals at say Logie Green or the Meadows, I don’t think the vast majority of us on here would have such an issue. England’s home is Wembley, N London. Is London the dominant point of English football? Certainly not. Difference is they have a stadium to be proud of where as ours is very much on her last legs. As far as I’m concerned all this chat about Murrayfield or building somewhere new in Lanarkshire or worse, Stirling can gtf.

Famous Fiver
17-06-2018, 05:43 PM
If they are rebuilding Hampden I could be interested in buying my 21.05.2016 seat. I have still got the ticket so know exactly which one it is.

In fact, I feel an e-mail enquiry coming on as we speak.

It will take pride of place in my living room and I can see myself in my dotage sitting on it telling the great grandchildren ' Did I ever tell you about ............'

Billy Whizz
17-06-2018, 05:46 PM
Sure this will be shot down instantly but I’ll put it out here regardless, as a different opinion. Hampden, as poor a stadium it has become is the home of Scottish football, always has been and as far as I’m concerned always will be. Nothing to do with Glasgow being prioritised over Edinburgh, if Scotland had chosen to play their first internationals at say Logie Green or the Meadows, I don’t think the vast majority of us on here would have such an issue. England’s home is Wembley, N London. Is London the dominant point of English football? Certainly not. Difference is they have a stadium to be proud of where as ours is very much on her last legs. As far as I’m concerned all this chat about Murrayfield or building somewhere new in Lanarkshire or worse, Stirling can gtf.

Any idea what the TA’s view is on Hampden, stay or move?

One Day Soon
17-06-2018, 05:57 PM
Hampden is a shocker of a national stadium.

There are so many things we need to change/fix if we are going to qualify for a major tournament again or see our club sides competing more seriously in numbers in Europe and no doubt we can't afford to do everything all at once. However that stadium intimidates no one, sucks the atmosphere and belief out of the crowd and acts as a pretty potent bit of non-verbal communication to opponents as to how low we have fallen as a serious football nation.

Bluntly, our stadium wasn't built as it is to be the right venue for international ties or even cup finals. It was built the way it is as a cost-led compromise option and it doesn't work. I'd bulldoze and rebuild in a heartbeat. If Queens Park don't like that we should start afresh elsewhere - halfway between Glasgow and Edinburgh on a clear site.

All IMHO.

green&left
18-06-2018, 08:20 AM

There was an interesting thread on P&B from a QP fan. Apparently when they sold the debentures they are gurantee'd for X amount of years. They also got a Sport Scotland grant for recent redevelopment which states the facilities must be in use for X amount of years. Should they sell up and bring the bulldozers in the grant and debentures need paid back. Also the land isn't worth as much people think, there's stacks of "brownfield" land in and around Glasgow and there's alot of levelling to be done (IE you enter the Rangers end at ground level but got about 50 rows down to pitch-side).

Was an interesting read. If i can find the thread i'll post it up.