PDA

View Full Version : Lawrenson

Dashing Bob S
16-06-2018, 12:56 PM
Please somebody put this bore out to grass. A bigger embarrassment to the BBC now than their old stable of public school radio one DJ’s before Whitehouse and Enfield destroyed that woeful cabal with Smashy and Nicey.

Could make Spain- Portugal feel like watching a You Tube video of how to change a lightbulb

Greenworld
16-06-2018, 12:57 PM
100% agree

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

One Day Soon
16-06-2018, 12:59 PM
Please somebody put this bore out to grass. A bigger embarrassment to the BBC now than their old stable of public school radio one DJ’s before Whitehouse and Enfield destroyed that woeful cabal with Smashy and Nicey.

Could make Spain- Portugal feel like watching a You Tube video of how to change a lightbulb

Agree. Which ones were the public school DJs? Just curious to know.

CropleyWasGod
16-06-2018, 01:01 PM

Is it David Jacobs?

eastterrace
16-06-2018, 01:03 PM

Agree , he was talking about 15 min segments if Australia can hold out each one. Jeez it’s meant to be entertainment and he talking about shutting up shop .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Shrekko
16-06-2018, 01:04 PM
Tv licence payers throughout the UK are being absolutely cheated paying for this guy to paid handsomely for the privilege of commentating on major football tournaments. I don’t know anyone that likes him so the question is why do the BBC continue to employ him to do just that?

You’d think he had the worst job in the world as opposed to one of the best. The moaning and sarcasm are ridiculous and some of his comments on foreign players are borderline xenophobic.

Colr
16-06-2018, 01:17 PM
I find his constant tone of whining incredulity difficult to tolerate

Scouse Hibee
16-06-2018, 01:22 PM
I find it amusing that so many people get so annoyed about Lawrenson, liked him as a player and he doesn't overly bother me as a commentator.

ACLeith
16-06-2018, 01:24 PM
A total failure as a manager himself = BBC give him freedom to criticise those who can do the job. Along with his first class honours degree in stating the flipping obvious.

Jim44
16-06-2018, 01:30 PM
I find it amusing that so many people get so annoyed about Lawrenson, liked him as a player and he doesn't overly bother me as a commentator.

Well you would do and he wouldn’t. :greengrin

JeMeSouviens
16-06-2018, 01:39 PM

John Peel and Tony Blackburn for 2.

Pretty Boy
16-06-2018, 01:41 PM
Lawrenson and Danny Murphy both get on my nerves.

Paid a decent wage to travel the world to watch and talk about football and both their faces are always tripping them. It's either a monotone drone with Murphy or whining and moaning from Lawrenson. At least try to feign some enthusiasm.

JeMeSouviens
16-06-2018, 01:41 PM
Lawrenson sounds like he hates being there, in fact he seems to just hate football generally.

Chic Murray
16-06-2018, 01:50 PM
Lawrenson sounds like he hates being there, in fact he seems to just hate football generally.

Hates life generally, from what I can make out. Only time I've seen him animated was when he did a piece on the Spion Kop, which I think was actually about a massive defeat for the British in the Boer War.

He's weird.

hibbydoug
16-06-2018, 01:51 PM

Could make Spain- Portugal feel like watching a You Tube video of how to change a lightbulb100% this. Can someone start a petition?

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Lago
16-06-2018, 01:52 PM
Yeah but, like me, he has entered that stage in life where your discribed as an old codger & he is.

JeMeSouviens
16-06-2018, 02:03 PM
Hates life generally, from what I can make out. Only time I've seen him animated was when he did a piece on the Spion Kop, which I think was actually about a massive defeat for the British in the Boer War.

He's weird.

The Boer War? Presumably he won? :wink:

One Day Soon
16-06-2018, 02:03 PM

Blackburn is a bit of a surprise.

brog
16-06-2018, 02:05 PM

100% agree! Unbelievably boring, gets everything wrong but argues he's correct even when proven wrong. Total d-- -k.

Thecat23
16-06-2018, 02:17 PM

He’s just simply horrific as a co-commentator or pundit. No matter if you like him or not no one can deny he’s a sour faced prick who shouldn’t be near any football games that are on tv.

Bostonhibby
16-06-2018, 02:23 PM
Joyless, getting paid to attend events most could only dream about but seems to thrive in finding only negatives even if there are very few.

The Jacob Rees Mogg of football commentary.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Sir David Gray
16-06-2018, 02:29 PM
He's a horrendous commentator. Always making sarcastic, over the top remarks about foreign players that he would never dream of making about England players. He's far too critical about very minor details.

I don't know who decided that he was a good pundit.

nellio
16-06-2018, 02:30 PM
I said on the WC thread that I didn't like him. Absolutely shocking.

Dan Sarf
16-06-2018, 02:58 PM
Blackburn is a bit of a surprise.

And definitely not John Peel.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smashie_and_Nicey

jacomo
16-06-2018, 02:59 PM

:agree: and I’m not even a Liverpool fan.

I would say he is better on radio, because he tends to add to the commentary. On the tv he often just tells you something you can already see with your own eyes.

Chic Murray
16-06-2018, 03:11 PM

:top marks:aok:

CLASS OF 72 -73
16-06-2018, 04:07 PM

As a fellow scouse Hibby (by residency) you are being too kind. Good player but he is hardly entertaining as a commentator and a voice that with the inherent wining is painful. How he is still there is anyone's guess.

TheReg!
16-06-2018, 04:10 PM

I find Lawrenson alright K, but Danny Murphy is dire

WoreTheGreen
16-06-2018, 04:12 PM
I find Danny dire also

NOLA
16-06-2018, 04:39 PM
He seems to find a negative aspect on everything which annoys me but meh he needs the gig to pay for his TG op

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ancient hibee
16-06-2018, 04:40 PM
Joyless, getting paid to attend events most could only dream about but seems to thrive in finding only negatives even if there are very few.

The Jacob Rees Mogg of football commentary.

No.More the Ian Blackford I would say.

Bostonhibby
16-06-2018, 04:47 PM
No.More the Ian Blackford I would say.[emoji106]good comparison

ancient hibee
16-06-2018, 04:54 PM
[emoji106]good comparison

Rees Mogg far too well dressed to be a Lawrenson.Blackford looks like an unmade bed.

Billy Whizz
16-06-2018, 04:55 PM
I thought Lawrenson had retired from the BBC, have they wheeled him out again for this tournament?

JeMeSouviens
16-06-2018, 04:59 PM
Rees Mogg far too well dressed to be a Lawrenson.Blackford looks like an unmade bed.

Big Hibby though. Rees-Mogg has got Jambo written all over him!

Real Emerald
16-06-2018, 05:03 PM
He also tries to get every football saying in he’s ever heard over the years. Today was “he’d chase a paper bag around the park in the wind” and “awe look he’s dislocated a shoe lace”. He bugs me rotten and also has THE worst nick name ever ‘Lawrow’. 😡 Then again Andy Walker and Davie Provan do my head in too, maybe it’s just me 😂

Scouse Hibee
16-06-2018, 05:07 PM
He also tries to get every football saying in he’s ever heard over the years. Today was “he’d chase a paper bag around the park in the wind” and “awe look he’s dislocated a shoe lace”. He bugs me rotten and also has THE worst nick name ever ‘Lawrow’. 😡 Then again Andy Walker and Davie Provan do my head in too, maybe it’s just me 😂

It's Lawro 😁

Real Emerald
16-06-2018, 05:08 PM
It's Lawro 😁

Och I tried 👍😂

One Day Soon
16-06-2018, 05:12 PM
Big Hibby though. Rees-Mogg has got Jambo written all over him!

He must be one of the wealthiest Hibs supporters we've got I would think.

Greenbeard
16-06-2018, 05:17 PM
Always thought maybe if Gary started sharing his crisps, Lawrensen might not be such a torn faced git. Hansen could fair moan a bit too, as can Shearer, but at least they don't do it with such an annoying whine or look like they think life is not worth living and about to start greetin'.

ACLeith
16-06-2018, 05:39 PM
maybe it’s just me 😂
No it's not!

Haymaker
16-06-2018, 06:28 PM
I saw lawro described as "the Livia Soprano" of football.

CropleyWasGod
16-06-2018, 06:42 PM
I saw lawro described as "the Livia Soprano" of football.He's more like Ena Sharples.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Billy Whizz
16-06-2018, 06:52 PM
He's more like Ena Sharples.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Who’s Ena Sharples?

Iggy Pope
16-06-2018, 06:59 PM
Who’s Ena Sharples?

You're 56. Were your folks Jehovahs?

Iggy Pope
16-06-2018, 07:05 PM
And definitely not John Peel.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smashie_and_Nicey

Peter Powell, Simon Bates, that sort of gadge.

Bostonhibby
16-06-2018, 07:09 PM
Who’s Ena Sharples?Currently the one shareholder at tincastle

Billy Whizz
16-06-2018, 07:09 PM
You're 56. Were your folks Jehovahs?

My dad was a big big Hibby, does that count instead😂

jgl07
16-06-2018, 07:18 PM

No. That one was Hearts’ first war away victory?

leither17
16-06-2018, 07:58 PM
I find Danny dire also

That is pwopa nawty

Hillsidehibby
16-06-2018, 08:08 PM
Poor guy. Not good enough to play for your country. Good enough to play for the irish tribute act.

snooky
16-06-2018, 08:30 PM
It's Lawro 😁

Why must it end in a row? :wink:

sambajustice
16-06-2018, 08:42 PM
McCoist!!!

FFS!!!

:grr:

The Pointer
16-06-2018, 09:07 PM
Never mind Lawrenson, why does Roy Kean always look raging? There's a complete disconnect between him and the others and he doesn't say much. Has he just found out someone's s****ing his wife?

greenflyer
16-06-2018, 09:21 PM
Cheer up folks. At least Craig Burley is not involved. :idiot:

hibsbollah
16-06-2018, 09:23 PM
There's something of the dark about Lawro.

Wee Effen Bee
16-06-2018, 10:43 PM
He is so biased, monotone and unfunny that he spoils games for me. I end up thinking how bad is he and how much of an eejit the person who repeatedly offers him punditry contracts must be. This then distracts me from the match. Half Man Galf Biscuit’s song about Bob Wilson should be redone with Lawreson as ‘Pundit Man!’

Glory Lurker
16-06-2018, 11:53 PM
Can we get rid of Michael Owen and Glenn Hoddle at the same time please?

Deansy
17-06-2018, 01:44 AM
He is so biased, monotone and unfunny that he spoils games for me. I end up thinking how bad is he and how much of an eejit the person who repeatedly offers him punditry contracts must be. This then distracts me from the match. Half Man Galf Biscuit’s song about Bob Wilson should be redone with Lawreson as ‘Pundit Man!’

Totally agree - having said that, Lawrenson is also responsible for one of my favourite World Cup commentaries !. The 2010 game when England played Germany, Lawrenson epitomised the English commentators arrogance pre-match - but when Miroslav Klose scored Germany's 1st goal, Lawrenson's 'Sunday pub-team' sour-grapes line was the start of 90 minutes of pain for him but absolute joy & delight for me !!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8324G4iGRbk

LancashireHibby
17-06-2018, 02:31 AM
Lawrenson is so miserable that I’m 95% sure that he’s a Jambo.

I think someone at the BBC must have told him they quite liked his dead pan style years ago and he’s just taken it to the absolute extremes now.

heretoday
17-06-2018, 06:58 AM

Edmonds? What a waste of a good education.

hibsbollah
17-06-2018, 07:28 AM
Can we get rid of Michael Owen and Glenn Hoddle at the same time please?

If Hoddle is still in a job after his previous comments about people with disabilities then I fear he's in a job for life. And they say we live in a 'PC society' :rolleyes:

James70
17-06-2018, 07:52 AM
I can't stand Lineker who is hugely overpaid and also very boring. There again I can't stand most of the idiots who are on Sportsound on a Saturday afternoon.

Is It On....
17-06-2018, 07:58 AM
No.More the Ian Blackford I would say.

"Blackout" is die hard Hibby though..

Clarence
17-06-2018, 10:13 AM
Lawrenson and Danny Murphy both get on my nerves.

Paid a decent wage to travel the world to watch and talk about football and both their faces are always tripping them. It's either a monotone drone with Murphy or whining and moaning from Lawrenson. At least try to feign some enthusiasm.

Agree 100% Murphy is a torn face disaster and Lawrenson harps on like a bitter old spinster.

Sammy7nil
17-06-2018, 10:21 AM
I think most people posting on this thread need to turn the sound down as they don't seem to like anyone.

Sir David Gray
17-06-2018, 10:50 AM
If Hoddle is still in a job after his previous comments about people with disabilities then I fear he's in a job for life. And they say we live in a 'PC society' :rolleyes:

And yet Rodney Marsh has basically had his career as a pundit ended in 2005 following a relatively minor indiscretion in comparison with what Hoddle said.

It's an absolute joke that he is allowed to appear on national TV after what he said.

sleeping giant
17-06-2018, 01:07 PM

I'm sure he addressed this recently and said he didn't say that .
Sure it was just the other day.

Edit : found this quote “You and I have been physically given two hands and two legs and half-decent brains,” he was quoted as saying.

“Some people have not been born like that for a reason. The karma is working from another lifetime. I have nothing to hide about that. It is not only people with disabilities. What you sow, you have to reap.”

hibsbollah
17-06-2018, 02:02 PM

Edit : found this quote “You and I have been physically given two hands and two legs and half-decent brains,” he was quoted as saying.

“Some people have not been born like that for a reason. The karma is working from another lifetime. I have nothing to hide about that. It is not only people with disabilities. What you sow, you have to reap.”

Are you quoting that to show its not that bad?? ... Its a terrible thing to believe and worse to say it publicly. He expressed it in more than one interview as well. Up there with Ron Atkinson and his lazy n###### comment.

Hibbyradge
17-06-2018, 02:22 PM

That's nasty superstitious bollocks.

People deserve to be disabled? Idiot.

Saint Hibee
17-06-2018, 02:25 PM
Greatest football pundit ever was Mick Channon during Sky’s first season televising football: “If Gary Lineker was a horse, I’d shoot him”. Never asked to be a pundit again ...

Sir David Gray
17-06-2018, 02:46 PM

That's up there as one of the most disgusting views I've ever heard.

sleeping giant
17-06-2018, 03:26 PM
Are you quoting that to show its not that bad?? ... Its a terrible thing to believe and worse to say it publicly. He expressed it in more than one interview as well. Up there with Ron Atkinson and his lazy n###### comment.

Not at all.

I thought I'd heard him say tha he didn't say that but then found that quote where he did say it.
Maybe didn't explain myself too well :-)

sleeping giant
17-06-2018, 03:29 PM
That's up there as one of the most disgusting views I've ever heard.

It's bad :agree:

I'm still sure I've heard him addressing it but can't find it.
I think it was recently on talk sport maybe ?

Joe6-2
18-06-2018, 04:10 PM
Please, please BBC, get rid of this guy!
De Brawny! Plays for Belgium btw

Roxyhibee
18-06-2018, 04:15 PM

Sounds even worse than I first thought.! What a warped minded tw&t.!

Jim44
18-06-2018, 04:17 PM
I think most people posting on this thread need to turn the sound down as they don't seem to like anyone.

Thumbs up from me for Alex Scott, Sloven Bilic and Cesc Fabregas.

iwasthere1972
18-06-2018, 04:31 PM
Panama have probably never seen quality goals like that scored against them. What's this guy on.

I bet they have.

CropleyWasGod
18-06-2018, 04:32 PM
Panama have probably never seen quality goals like that scored against them. What's this guy on.

I bet they have.

I heard that.

What a prick.

Jim44
18-06-2018, 04:37 PM

I bet they have.

I heard that.

What a prick.

Keep in mind that these English commentators are basking in the reflected glory of these ‘foreign’ players who play in the ‘best league in the world’.

HFCdeb
18-06-2018, 04:55 PM
I heard that.

What a prick.

Yep.

snooky
18-06-2018, 05:09 PM
"England and Belgium will both have two wins behind them when they meet" - Lawro (Begium v Panama, 2018)
"There's only one team going to win this" - Kevin Keegan (England v Romania, 1998)

They never learn, unlike us......

:singing: "We know we're s***e" - The Tartan Army (France 1998)

Hibbyradge
18-06-2018, 05:11 PM
Please tell me it's not Lawrenson for the England game. :pray:

iwasthere1972
18-06-2018, 05:13 PM
"England and Belgium will both have two wins behind them when they meet" - Lawro (Begium v Panama, 2018)
"There's only one team going to win this" - Kevin Keegan (England v Romania, 1998)

They never learn, unlike us......

:singing: "We know we're s***e" - The Tartan Army (France 1998)

Heard that. They never learn do they. Already writing Tunisia off. 21st in the World Rankings so they are no mugs.

Greentinted
18-06-2018, 06:04 PM
Please tell me it's not Lawrenson for the England game. :pray:

Thankfully Martin Keown (decent enough if a bit vanilla) supporting one of the better commentators Guy Mowbray.

Joe6-2
18-06-2018, 06:18 PM
Thankfully Martin Keown (decent enough if a bit vanilla) supporting one of the better commentators Guy Mowbray.

Oh yeah? If it’s marginal it shouldn’t be offside 🤨

tamig
18-06-2018, 06:19 PM
I thought Lawrenson had retired from the BBC, have they wheeled him out again for this tournament?

Don’t think he’s ever retired. A regular on 5 Live for many years.

Greentinted
18-06-2018, 06:24 PM
Oh yeah? If it’s marginal it shouldn’t be offside 🤨

Commentator’s curse backfiring...🤐

BullsCloseHibs
18-06-2018, 08:40 PM

He is ruining a good WC. He is out of date and is boring.

basehibby
18-06-2018, 10:23 PM

Totally agree Bob - he's a twat. Always has been in my opinion - perpetually whining and arrogant pain in the arse :bitchy:

NB - he also hates Scotland which used to annoy me but somehow nowadays pleases me immensely.