PDA

View Full Version : B*tcher

BOB MARLEYS DUG
14-06-2018, 04:46 PM
Named new manager of the Philippines national side...

Doh Rae Me
14-06-2018, 04:47 PM
Unlucky for them.

Bostonhibby
14-06-2018, 04:48 PM
Football or deep sea diving team?

Can a national team get relegated?

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

CropleyWasGod
14-06-2018, 04:53 PM
Football or deep sea diving team?

Can a national team get relegated?

No, which takes away the fear of it.

Or something...

Bostonhibby
14-06-2018, 04:57 PM
No, which takes away the fear of it.

Or something...Do you think the Philippines have maybe bought up all the old bbc episodes of Eastenders?

There's going to be a lot of disappointed pat butcher fans at the airport when Pat fails to show.

Sir David Gray
14-06-2018, 04:58 PM
I wonder if it's possible to make them any worse than they already are?

nellio
14-06-2018, 05:00 PM
Dinosaur tactics and bullying for them then!#

Thecat23
14-06-2018, 05:01 PM
I’m over Butcher now. More so after what happened to his son. He’s long gone and that’s all that matters imo.

Humo
14-06-2018, 05:08 PM
I’m over Butcher now. More so after what happened to his son. He’s long gone and that’s all that matters imo.
What happened to his son?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Thecat23
14-06-2018, 05:11 PM
What happened to his son?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Took his own life after battling PTSD.

One Day Soon
14-06-2018, 05:13 PM
Took his own life after battling PTSD.

Terrible. Don't know how you'd even begin to cope with that.

Kato
14-06-2018, 05:25 PM
Wish it was bit further away.

G B Young
14-06-2018, 05:59 PM

Spot on. He was a disaster for Hibs (though let's not pretend the majority of fans, myself included, didn't initially see his appointment as a bit of a coup) but the guy's been through a terrible experience since then. For Hibs, that grim era is long gone so it's time to put all that to bed. Hope his new job works out for him.

CropleyWasGod
14-06-2018, 06:02 PM
Being charitable, I can understand him wanting to get as far away from the UK as possible.

No parent should have to endure that.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

MagicSwirlingShip
14-06-2018, 06:10 PM
Don’t think he could get any further away from Easter Road if he tried so its a great appointment in my book.

hibees 7062
14-06-2018, 06:14 PM
He'll be huge over there

Scorrie
14-06-2018, 06:15 PM
At least he won’t be a pundit on BT now...I hope.

GTMRossaK3
14-06-2018, 06:21 PM
Being charitable, I can understand him wanting to get as far away from the UK as possible.

No parent should have to endure that.

As a very proud and loving father and very proud and loving grandfather I offer my sincere sympathy to Terry regarding his loss. These things don't happen overnight but build up over time so maybe, just maybe, he was already having to deal with this horrendous personal issue while he was our manager so we should just maybe assume this was the case given his previous success and consider this when our fans continue their attack on him. On this basis Terry I wish you the very best and success in your new post and hope you can keep happy memories of your son and do him proud in your new challenge. I'm sure he would be proud!

BILLYHIBS
14-06-2018, 06:26 PM
Yeah don’t think I would wish losing a son on anyone It must have been terrible for him.As a parent you like to think you will go before your children.It must continue to haunt him.

BILLYHIBS
14-06-2018, 06:28 PM
As a very proud and loving father and very proud and loving grandfather I offer my sincere sympathy to Terry regarding his loss. These things don't happen overnight but build up over time so maybe, just maybe, he was already having to deal with this horrendous personal issue while he was our manager so we should just maybe assume this was the case given his previous success and consider this when our fans continue their attack on him. On this basis Terry I wish you the very best and success in your new post and hope you can keep happy memories of your son and do him proud in your new challenge. I'm sure he would be proud!

:top marks

GTMRossaK3
14-06-2018, 06:32 PM
:top marks

Thank you!

iwasthere1972
14-06-2018, 06:33 PM
We've got a lot to thank Terry Butcher for. Probably wouldn't have won the SC or now have 13K season ticket holders if he hadn't got us relegated.

Regarding his son. That's a tragedy and no idea how he's coping with that.

MyJo
14-06-2018, 06:37 PM

Great post.

Life as a Hibee reached an all-time low under Butcher, that cannot be denied, but the highs we've experienced in the 4 years since that time will be what I talk to my kids about in 20 or 30 years.

That fact and thinking about what he has endured as a father allows me to wish him well with his new role and not hold onto petty grudges from the past.

Good luck to him.

Mick O'Rourke
14-06-2018, 06:41 PM
I did not know Terry had lost his son in such terrible circumstances.
As someone who can empathise with Terry being to hell and back,i can only wish him all the best.
Life is very difficult,too put it mildly,after such a loss.

cabbageandribs1875
14-06-2018, 06:46 PM
He'll be huge over there

indeed :greengrin

some fans need a scapegoat for our relegation, strange how the players always get away with any abuse/criticism though :agree: no one appears to be surprised a load of players were rightly(imo) punted just before he himself got punted, yes he was wrong to publicly tell some players they were rank...but rank they indeed were(again imo) i think it's unfair the amount of stick he gets, LD's first job was to get shot of terry butcher, i bet the under fire chairman at the time felt a lot of pressure drain away after that

oh aye and P.S. butcher was the manager of an inverness caley team when they came and put on one of the best displays by an away team at ER for a long time..imo, not long before he took over the ER gig

GRA
14-06-2018, 07:08 PM
Time to move on from Butcher! He did fine with ICT but just never worked out for us. Managed a soft group of players the total wrong way. But in an adverse sort of way the times experienced under him gave us a shot in the arm which has led to the good times of the present day.

jabis
14-06-2018, 07:20 PM

Well said sir.

Scottie
14-06-2018, 07:21 PM
Well said pal. :thumbsup:

One Day Soon
14-06-2018, 07:23 PM

Occasionally a bellend post or a poster will make me think twice about whether I want to be on .net. Yours is the exact opposite. Excellent post and thank you.

SquashedFrogg
14-06-2018, 07:24 PM
indeed :greengrin

some fans need a scapegoat for our relegation, strange how the players always get away with any abuse/criticism though :agree: no one appears to be surprised a load of players were rightly(imo) punted just before he himself got punted, yes he was wrong to publicly tell some players they were rank...but rank they indeed were(again imo) i think it's unfair the amount of stick he gets, LD's first job was to get shot of terry butcher, i bet the under fire chairman at the time felt a lot of pressure drain away after that

oh aye and P.S. butcher was the manager of an inverness caley team when they came and put on one of the best displays by an away team at ER for a long time..imo, not long before he took over the ER gig

Not sure where to start. Out his depth from the minute he walked through the door.

Ever wondered why an ex England captain, household name, never got a 'big job'?

Dreadful, dreadful manager.

GTMRossaK3
14-06-2018, 07:30 PM
Occasionally a bellend post or a poster will make me think twice about whether I want to be on .net. Yours is the exact opposite. Excellent post and thank you.

Appreciate your response. Thanks

J-C
14-06-2018, 07:37 PM

Very well said mate.

I knew Terry's son Chris years ago when he was a student and he was playing for Glasgow Tigers American football team, ( uni team ) we linked up with them to give them some coaching and a few including Chris played for the senior team in the British league during the summer. I was shocked when I heard about his tragic loss and I can't imagine how Terry is after his loss, he may not be my favourite manager ever but things like this puts everything into a bit more perspective.

cabbageandribs1875
14-06-2018, 07:38 PM
Not sure where to start. Out his depth from the minute he walked through the door.

i would have prefered to judge him as our manager after a season with players he brought in himself, who knows, maybe he would have got us back up after one season :dunno:

lyonhibs
14-06-2018, 07:40 PM

Awful manager and a bully to boot. Total gob*****. If this gets him off our screens then I'm all for it. Once life is discovered on Mars, I'll beam up his CV myself for their national side.

Absolute welt during his time here. I wish the Phillipines all the best, as god knows they'll need it.

SquashedFrogg
14-06-2018, 07:43 PM
i would have prefered to judge him as our manager after a season with players he brought in himself, who knows, maybe he would have got us back up after one season :dunno:

He had more than enough there to comfortably stay up.

Feel sick at the thought of players he would bring in...

Hear your point though. Just not for me

SquashedFrogg
14-06-2018, 07:44 PM
Empathy? :rolleyes:

Footballing opinion. Not personal I'm guessing

Onceinawhile
14-06-2018, 08:06 PM
Terrance Ian "terry" t.i.t.

Mantis Toboggan
14-06-2018, 08:24 PM
He's finally found his level

NORTHERNHIBBY
14-06-2018, 08:32 PM
Terry Who?

silverhibee
14-06-2018, 09:28 PM
He had more than enough there to comfortably stay up.

Feel sick at the thought of players he would bring in...

Hear your point though. Just not for me

He did have enough to stay up, once the nastiness started from some players though he never had a chance, as has been said before, he wasn't sending the team out to get beat, the night up in Ross County that night him and Malpas done a great job getting the players up for the game in the build up and looked like they would come flying out the traps, looked like they were wearing cement boots when they came out to start the game, for me, coaching staff and players let the fans down.

FilipinoHibs
14-06-2018, 09:33 PM
Named new manager of the Philippines national side...

Oh no I live there and my wife is Filipino. I must warn the President. He normally has criminals shot.

snooky
14-06-2018, 09:40 PM
Time to move on from Butcher! He did fine with ICT but just never worked out for us. Managed a soft group of players the total wrong way. But in an adverse sort of way the times experienced under him gave us a shot in the arm which has led to the good times of the present day.

:agree: Great summation, GRA. No need to say any more. :top marks

guidref
15-06-2018, 06:47 AM
With Butcher and malpas we were unfortunately subjected to the "Peter Principle" which is people are promoted to their level of incompetence

They were prety successful at ICT but out of their depth at Hibs.

I don't believe they did anything deliberatly to hinder Hibs, they were just in the wrong position at that time. We've all seen it at work, someone gets promoted or some new hot shot comes in and just makes a total b#lls up of everything.

For me Malpas was the one who did the most damage, not Butcher. in the current environment of openess in football and people being encouraged to come forward with details of unacceptable behaviour, it wouldn't surprise me if Malpas' name pops up at some point.

Given all the turmoil and torture Butcher has had to endure in his personal life I wish him all the best in his new endeavours.

jacomo
15-06-2018, 02:37 PM
Time to forget and move on I think.

We’ve all said our piece - his appointment was a disaster, and his failure to accept responsibility and resign was galling, although he’s far from alone in this.

I’m sure TB doesn’t want to be reminded of his time at Hibs, and neither do I! I’d much prefer him to be working in the Philippines because he won’t be doing so much media work.

15-06-2018, 08:50 PM
Couldn't care less about the man anymore to be quite honest with you. He's reign was an extremely dark era in this clubs history, we have come a hell of a long way since then. Having clowns like him in the past I guess just makes you more grateful for what we have now. Lennon is 100000x the manger Butcher ever will be.

Sir David Gray
15-06-2018, 09:56 PM
I wouldn't wish what he's gone through with his son on anyone and for that he has my sincerest condolences.

However that does not get away from the fact that he presided over one of the worst Hibs teams in living memory and played a huge part in relegating us.

People can talk about how relegation reinvigorated us and got us back to a position of strength but it should never have been allowed to happen in the first place and a lot of that blame lies at Terry Butcher's door.

Forza Fred
16-06-2018, 02:15 AM
The loss of his son was indeed tragic, and nobody could feel anything but sadness and sympathy for him in regard to this.

He was not though, a great, or even good manager who suddenly turned into a failure at Easter Road.

He was a failure years ago when Sydney FC sacked him, and rumours of ‘neandethal’ training methods were aired in Oz in the media.

The players allegedly even took to organising training sessions on their days off to counter what they saw as inadequate preparation.

He may have done ok at Easter Road, but the warning signs were there long before he came to Easter Road.

I bear no personal grudge to Butcher, who mutual acquaintances consider a fine fellow, but I am glad he is nowhere near Easter Road, and his contribution to our relegation cannot be airbrushed from history.

16-06-2018, 05:16 PM
I wouldn't wish what he's gone through with his son on anyone and for that he has my sincerest condolences.

However that does not get away from the fact that he presided over one of the worst Hibs teams in living memory and played a huge part in relegating us.

People can talk about how relegation reinvigorated us and got us back to a position of strength but it should never have been allowed to happen in the first place and a lot of that blame lies at Terry Butcher's door.

A lot of the blame does of course lie with Butcher, your right, from about January onwards under him we just plumitted into free fall. His management skills leave a hell of a lot to be desired. Telling players they weren't good enough and will be shipped out the moment the season ends - what player is gonna want to try for him after that?! If my manager came to me and basically told me I was ***** at my job and I'm out on my ear at the first opportunity I certainly wouldn't be giving my best work for them. At a time when we were struggling he should have been rallying everyone together, getting the heads up but instead he and his horrible wee sidekick Malpas sucked every bit of morale out the dressing room. There was no fight, no spirit, the manger had told most of them he didn't rate them so relegation was always gonna be the outcome when you're working for a group of players that have lost all motivation.

I'll never forgive Butcher for that, HOWEVER, lets be honest here, relegation had been a long time in the making. Too many years just trundling along, accepting mid table pish, accepting lower league journeymen as our regular signings, accepting losing on a fairly regular basis to our city rivals etc etc. The only direction we were heading was down. If it hadn't been for Griffiths and his goals the season before we probably would have went down then. Butcher was the final nail in the coffin and finally sealed our fate but there are countless others that contributed to us getting into the mess we did

Famous Fiver
16-06-2018, 06:11 PM
In footballing terms he and Malpas did not keep us up and they quite rightly paid the price.

In personal terms I have every sympathy for the man and i would not wish what he went through on anyone.

All the best for the future, Mr B.

I do not hold a grudge.

lapsedhibee
18-06-2018, 05:19 AM
Only ever think of TB now for his significant contribution to comedy. The template "It's good to [fail at something] early on because it takes away the fear of [failure]" will be with me forever.

allezsauzee
18-06-2018, 07:30 AM
As much as Butcher made a total mess of the Hibs job, I think it's worked out for the best in the end. We could have muddled along with mediocrity for some time if relegation hadn't happened and sometimes it takes an extreme event for the necessary changes to be made. He's never going to be one of my favourite people but it's time to let the bitterness go and concentrate on how strongly we have rebounded from the events of 4 years ago.

heretoday
19-06-2018, 06:09 AM
He's an awful football manager but not a bad bloke. Time to forgive.

JimBHibees
19-06-2018, 08:51 AM
He's an awful football manager but not a bad bloke. Time to forgive.

Did some of his behaviours when at Hibs not exactly mark him out as not a bad bloke.

hibsbollah
19-06-2018, 10:44 AM
Did some of his behaviours when at Hibs not exactly mark him out as not a bad bloke.

Double or treble negatives always confuse me :greengrin

My impression of him was of a bully with nothing interesting to say or contribute to life. He was a terrible manager who alienated his players and got us relegated. I have nothing positive to say about him. The tragedies in his personal life are just that, tragic, but don't detract from the facts of his time in charge.

heretoday
19-06-2018, 11:06 AM
That day at ER v Hamilton was the low point of 50 years of following Hibs.
He was a help at least in making us determined not to allow that again.

Tom Hart RIP
19-06-2018, 11:23 AM
TB and MM were a disaster for Hibs but I for one welcomed his arrival.
i met him several times at various Hibs related events, and found him interesting, funny and surprisingly knowledgable about Hibs.
The Hibs job was his dream and he anticipated spending years at the club and talked of building a team we would all be proud of.
Unlike most other managers he immediately moved to the area (north Berwick)
Having managed teams against Hibs he arrived with no faith in any of the players and wanted a clear out.
My theory is that he was happy to finish third bottom so the following year it would be easy to improve.
It never occurred to him we would be relegated.
He certainly regrets his actions at Hibs which virtually ended his managerial career.
Thankfully things have worked out well for Hibs but I don’t feel any bitterness and wish him well.