PDA

View Full Version : World Cup 2026: USA, Canada and Mexico

Sylar
13-06-2018, 11:48 AM
The 2026 World Cup has been awarded to the US, Canada and Mexico - 16 cities (10 USA, 3 Mexico, 3 Canada), with the final being played in New York.

I've no problem with the US hosting a World Cup - they were given a raw deal losing out to the bung-Qataris last time around, but 3 host nations (meaning 3 automatic qualifications from the second weakest conference in the world)?

FIFA members voted for it overwhelmingly, with Morocco being the contender.

Diclonius
13-06-2018, 11:52 AM
Looking forward to this one, the US has some of the best stadia in the world. I suspect when it all comes round we'll also be grateful for the first Summer world cup in eight years. :rolleyes:

Michael
13-06-2018, 11:59 AM
Good choice. Nice to have Canada and Mexico involved too.

Hibbyradge
13-06-2018, 12:00 PM
It would be great if Scotland qualify.

Sylar
13-06-2018, 12:06 PM
Looking forward to this one, the US has some of the best stadia in the world. I suspect when it all comes round we'll also be grateful for the first Summer world cup in eight years. :rolleyes:

:agree: - some of their infrastructure is ridiculously good, and a few of the NFL teams have recently just invested significantly in new, stunning stadia. Canada also had a bit of a trial run hosting the last ladies World Cup, and it was a decent success.

I've no problem with the geography - I just don't like the idea of 3 free passes to the most lucrative stage in world football.

Diclonius
13-06-2018, 12:10 PM
:agree: - some of their infrastructure is ridiculously good, and a few of the NFL teams have recently just invested significantly in new, stunning stadia. Canada also had a bit of a trial run hosting the last ladies World Cup, and it was a decent success.

I've no problem with the geography - I just don't like the idea of 3 free passes to the most lucrative stage in world football.

FIFA have said it's unlikely they're going to accept single-country bids any more (more bribe money I guess), and in any case the WC is being expanded to 48 teams for this and subsequent tournaments.

danhibees1875
13-06-2018, 12:13 PM
I wonder if they would regionalise the location of groups.

Quite expensive to try to follow a team round such a large space so quickly!

Since90+2
13-06-2018, 12:15 PM
FIFA have said it's unlikely they're going to accept single-country bids any more (more bribe money I guess), and in any case the WC is being expanded to 48 teams for this and subsequent tournaments.

I thought they said this week they won't be extending the amount of teams in the final?

Michael
13-06-2018, 12:19 PM
I thought they said this week they won't be extending the amount of teams in the final?

In Qatar only.

calumhibee1
13-06-2018, 12:27 PM

The new Atlanta stadium is the best stadium I’ve ever seen. Think it’s the Mercedes Benz arena.

PatHead
13-06-2018, 12:29 PM
The 2026 World Cup has been awarded to the US, Canada and Mexico - 16 cities (10 USA, 3 Mexico, 3 Canada), with the final being played in New York.

I've no problem with the US hosting a World Cup - they were given a raw deal losing out to the bung-Qataris last time around, but 3 host nations (meaning 3 automatic qualifications from the second weakest conference in the world

FIFA members voted for it overwhelmingly, with Morocco being the contender.

The joint bid offered twice as much in profit as the African one. Money talks. As it is meant to be a world tournament I would have preferred it went to Africa as it has already been held in two of the hosts countries already. Match times would probably be better as well. Finally Trump said he would remember the countries that didn’t vote for them and take that into account in future deals. That is a good enough reason alone.

cabbageandribs1875
13-06-2018, 01:22 PM
2.2 billion profit for the hosts, 8 billion profit for the crooks at Fifa, absolutely ******* sickening

Green Man
13-06-2018, 02:16 PM
And an average ticket price of £322!

AZhibee
13-06-2018, 02:28 PM
🇺🇸, hope I will be around in 8 years to see.

ancient hibee
13-06-2018, 03:30 PM
On a big screen at the Hassayampa?

JimBHibees
13-06-2018, 03:55 PM
2.2 billion profit for the hosts, 8 billion profit for the crooks at Fifa, absolutely ******* sickening

Incredible will be all invested in football at grassroots level so all good. :greengrin

AZhibee
13-06-2018, 04:17 PM

In person, in California most likely:agree:. Possibly Denver if they host.

AZhibee
13-06-2018, 04:19 PM

Doubt the Hassayampa would show World Cup action, would have to drive to Phoenix for that.

jgl07
13-06-2018, 04:24 PM
Good choice. Nice to have Canada and Mexico involved too.
Yes its not as if Mexico have ever hosted a World Cup!

jgl07
13-06-2018, 04:30 PM
Incredible will be all invested in football at grassroots level so all good. :greengrin

Yes because the US Federation is squeeky clean!

Chuck Blazer was only involved in racketeering, wire fraud, income tax evasion, and money laundering, after all.

Michael
13-06-2018, 04:30 PM
A Scotland, Wales, Ireland and maybe England World Cup would be a great option now.

AZhibee
13-06-2018, 04:43 PM
A Scotland, Wales, Ireland and maybe England World Cup would be a great option now.

That is very true!

AZhibee
13-06-2018, 04:45 PM
I believe the bulk of the games and quarterfinals on will be in the US, not to rain on our North American unity:wink: parade, but it is kind of the US' world cup with participation from friends as opposed to a triple host country.

Bristolhibby
13-06-2018, 05:08 PM

America is pretty big without the other two.

Getting from New York to LA is longer than Boston to Toronto.

J

danhibees1875
13-06-2018, 05:12 PM
America is pretty big without the other two.

Getting from New York to LA is longer than Boston to Toronto.

J

I know, significantly longer!

I didn't mean to regionalise by country, just in the most logical way.

Bristolhibby
13-06-2018, 05:17 PM
I know, significantly longer!

I didn't mean to regionalise by country, just in the most logical way.

Got it

AZhibee
13-06-2018, 05:34 PM
The new Atlanta stadium is the best stadium I’ve ever seen. Think it’s the Mercedes Benz arena.

Will be obsolete by 2026:wink: and torn down for a new one.

AZhibee
13-06-2018, 05:45 PM

Maybe host regions rather than host cities such as;

Pac NW (Vanc, Portland, Seattle)
California (LA and North)
Texas
Illinois and surrounding areas
SE US (Atlanta, Nashville)
Florida
NE Corridor (DC to Boston)
Toronto/Montreal
Mexico City
Guadalajara
Monterrey
San Diego/Tijuana

Mibbes Aye
13-06-2018, 05:47 PM
Good article in today's Guardian describing the format. Three-team groups will be new and a hark back to the second round format circa 1982.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jun/13/three-hosts-48-teams-how-the-2026-world-cup-will-work-united

SJNB Hibby
13-06-2018, 05:50 PM
I believe the bulk of the games and quarterfinals on will be in the US, not to rain on our North American unity:wink: parade, but it is kind of the US' world cup with participation from friends as opposed to a triple host country.

We'll have the stadiums ready for when the teams coming from Mexicos groups arent allowed into the USA

:aok:

SJNB Hibby
13-06-2018, 05:52 PM

Texas
Florida
Toronto/Montreal
Mexico City
Guadalajara
Monterrey
San Diego/Tijuana

Its Edmonton, not Vancouver. BC for some strange reason didnt want to deal with such a shady organisation as FIFA---go figure
Works for me though, got lots of family in Edmonton--rooms already booked:cb:aok:

AZhibee
13-06-2018, 05:53 PM
We'll have the stadiums ready for when the teams coming from Mexicos groups arent allowed into the USA

Might not allow them in from Canada either though:rolleyes:

Keith_M
13-06-2018, 05:57 PM

They'll never be able to climb over that wall.

danhibees1875
13-06-2018, 06:05 PM

Texas
Florida
Toronto/Montreal
Mexico City
Guadalajara
Monterrey
San Diego/Tijuana

Something like that, yeah. Without looking too much into it, just something like 2/3 groups in each region of:

Texas/Mexico
West coast and Edmonton
North East (more groups in this area)
Florida and Atlanta
Central 4

AZhibee
13-06-2018, 06:15 PM
Something like that, yeah. Without looking too much into it, just something like 2/3 groups in each region of:

Texas/Mexico
West coast and Edmonton
North East (more groups in this area)
Florida and Atlanta
Central 4

Have a hard time seeing Edmonton as realistic unless in package with other Canadian cities or northern midwest US cities. I think an MLS team would be a requirement to host...

danhibees1875
13-06-2018, 06:30 PM
Have a hard time seeing Edmonton as realistic unless in package with other Canadian cities or northern midwest US cities. I think an MLS team would be a requirement to host...

They were on a BBC map and I just assumed that was decided upon. Maybe it was just an example of what could happen. :aok:

SJNB Hibby
13-06-2018, 06:45 PM
They were on a BBC map and I just assumed that was decided upon. Maybe it was just an example of what could happen. :aok:

The 3 canadian cities are Toronto Montreal and edmonton

13-06-2018, 06:50 PM
I’m a latent racist so delighted that it’s not in a Muslim country

Sylar
13-06-2018, 07:43 PM

Am I missing an inside joke, or are you really just that much of a ****? :confused:

Ignoring the fact that Islam isn't a "race" in the first place...

CropleyWasGod
13-06-2018, 07:48 PM

2nd biggest religion in Canada :wink:

AZhibee
13-06-2018, 08:05 PM
https://www.cbssports.com/soccer/world-cup/news/world-cup-2026-what-are-the-host-cities-in-usa-mexico-and-canada-going-to-be/

host cities

LA, San Fran, or Denver here I come.:greengrin

Sylar
13-06-2018, 08:08 PM
https://www.cbssports.com/soccer/world-cup/news/world-cup-2026-what-are-the-host-cities-in-usa-mexico-and-canada-going-to-be/

host cities

LA, San Fran, or Denver here I come.:greengrin

It's not even close to San Francisco! So much so, that they really should force the 49ers to rename! :greengrin

13-06-2018, 08:19 PM
Am I missing an inside joke, or are you really just that much of a ****? :confused:

Ignoring the fact that Islam isn't a "race" in the first place...

You’re probably missing quite a lot

AZhibee
13-06-2018, 08:25 PM
It's not even close to San Francisco! So much so, that they really should force the 49ers to rename! :greengrin

Not sure I get that...should they be the 45+4ers?

Sylar
13-06-2018, 08:26 PM
You’re probably missing quite a lot

Says the chap that just spewed sectarianism onto our forum, while confusing a religion of 1.6 billion people with race?

Yeah, I'm clearly missing something...

Sylar
13-06-2018, 08:29 PM
Not sure I get that...should they be the 45+4ers?

Maybe the meaning's just changed - it's apparently a 49 minute drive from Candlestick to the Levi's Stadium (in current traffic conditions anyway) :greengrin

AZhibee
13-06-2018, 08:32 PM
Maybe the meaning's just changed - it's apparently a 49 minute drive from Candlestick to the Levi's Stadium (in current traffic conditions anyway) :greengrin

Ahhhh...12 hours from here wherever it is. Denver sounds most appealing, don't want to deal with California - particularly the Rose Bowl.

Then again this is eight years from now and I don't know what I am doing this evening.

Sylar
13-06-2018, 08:38 PM
Ahhhh...12 hours from here wherever it is. Denver sounds most appealing, don't want to deal with California - particularly the Rose Bowl.

Then again this is eight years from now and I don't know what I am doing this evening.

:greengrin

Assuming I'm still in the same job I'm in just now in 2026, I'll be making sure that I'm at Stanford through the summer months, rather than the other way around I'm doing things just now. Then it's a short hop on the Caltrain down to Santa Clara for the games! :greengrin

AZhibee
13-06-2018, 08:43 PM
:greengrin

Assuming I'm still in the same job I'm in just now in 2026, I'll be making sure that I'm at Stanford through the summer months, rather than the other way around I'm doing things just now. Then it's a short hop on the Caltrain down to Santa Clara for the games! :greengrin

Expanded format? Scotland qualification? maybe just maybe Scotland in this region.

Bostonhibby
13-06-2018, 09:00 PM
They'll never be able to climb over that wall.

Technically it might not be there, It will either be torn down so that the world cup can go ahead, or the Donald will be able to sidestep his big ticket promise to the red necks and say he's made a brave decision not to build the wall after all so that he can deliver on his newly invented promise of the world cup in 2026. Sorted.

13-06-2018, 09:02 PM
Says the chap that just spewed sectarianism onto our forum, while confusing a religion of 1.6 billion people with race?

Yeah, I'm clearly missing something...

Yep still missing it

Deansy
13-06-2018, 09:25 PM

What/where is that/it ???

AZhibee
13-06-2018, 09:58 PM
What/where is that/it ???

NWC Marina and Gurley one block off of the square.

Green Man
13-06-2018, 10:23 PM
Good article in today's Guardian describing the format. Three-team groups will be new and a hark back to the second round format circa 1982.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jun/13/three-hosts-48-teams-how-the-2026-world-cup-will-work-united

South America will have 6 teams out of 10 qualifying. That’s a stupidly high percentage.

Mibbes Aye
13-06-2018, 10:37 PM
South America will have 6 teams out of 10 qualifying. That’s a stupidly high percentage.

:agree:

Big increase from four with a potential fifth through the play-offs.

It pretty much guarantees Argentina, Brazil and Uruguay their place, then perm three from seven for the remaining spots. A lot depends on what the squads are like at the time - Chile, Paraguay, Colombia, Peru and Ecuador have all been decent at points in time and VeNezuela and Bolivia could step up.

HibeesLA
13-06-2018, 11:00 PM

The Rams new stadium will be open in 2020, and I think that will get the nod. It should host the Super Bowl in 2022, and is slated to be the host of the LA Olympics opening ceremony in 2028.

Speedy
13-06-2018, 11:21 PM

Yes and no. On ability they deserve it.

New Zealand's bye through every year is a shocker.

GreenCastle
13-06-2018, 11:30 PM
The final supposedly in New Jersey at the Met Life.

Having watched a few football (soccer) games there before - not a huge fan of the pitch - especially when they lay it on top of 3G and has no bounce. They will also need to sort layout as pitch always looks way too cramped from TV and inside stadium.

Glad the USA have been awarded it after the last madness of Qatar.

UK or Australia next to host ideally..

AZhibee
14-06-2018, 01:30 AM
The Rams new stadium will be open in 2020, and I think that will get the nod. It should host the Super Bowl in 2022, and is slated to be the host of the LA Olympics opening ceremony in 2028.

The hosts stadiums were presented as decided but who knows, presumably things could change. Hard to think no Rose Bowl though. Saw 84 Olympic soccer matches there. Also keep thinking Edmonton was added solely to have 3 Canadian cities, and that it could be reconsidered.

LustForLeith
14-06-2018, 05:57 AM
I’m well up for this. Perfect 50th birthday present that year if you all want to chip in

Bristolhibby
14-06-2018, 06:00 AM
The hosts stadiums were presented as decided but who knows, presumably things could change. Hard to think no Rose Bowl though. Saw 84 Olympic soccer matches there. Also keep thinking Edmonton was added solely to have 3 Canadian cities, and that it could be reconsidered.

By then it will be one of the worst stadiums in LA. Well past it’s sell by date.

As mentioned, the Rams / Chargers will have their amazing looking stadium by then.

Check it out

https://youtu.be/OMZGkJxb0Ro

J

AZhibee
14-06-2018, 06:11 AM
I’m well up for this. Perfect 50th birthday present that year if you all want to chip in

Buy you dinner in Denver.

California-Hibs
14-06-2018, 07:45 AM
As a California based Scot, I'm delighted its coming here! I'll be at the San Francisco and LA games for sure! Or at least soaking up the atmosphere. Come on Scotland, this one's not even an option, we MUST qualify! Wonder who'll be our mainstays in the team in 8 years time?...Oliver Burke hopefully for sure! He'll be a good age of 29