PDA

View Full Version : Irn Bru Cup

Billy Whizz
10-06-2018, 05:57 PM
I see they’ve added 2 Non League English teams. Also as per last season, 12 colt teams from the Premiership. As we’ve done away with the under 21 league, anyone know what age the colt teams will be?

https://spfl.co.uk/news/article/national-league-sides-join-irn-bru-cup/

https://spfl.co.uk/docs/067_324__irn_brucupformat2018_19_1528461631.pdf

Eyrie
10-06-2018, 06:20 PM
I didn't like it when they brought in the Welsh and Irish teams, so it's even more nonsensical to invite a couple of English clubs.

It should be kept as a realistic opportunity for Scottish clubs like Stranraer, Airdrie United or Falkirk to win a cup.

danhibees1875
10-06-2018, 06:24 PM
I think it's a good edition to the tournament. The Welsh/Irish teams didn't stop the trophy staying in Scotland, so I don't see how English national league teams automatically would.

Billy Whizz
10-06-2018, 06:25 PM
I didn't like it when they brought in the Welsh and Irish teams, so it's even more nonsensical to invite a couple of English clubs.

It should be kept as a realistic opportunity for Scottish clubs like Stranraer, Airdrie United or Falkirk to win a cup.

Probably to do with the sponsors wanting their brand extended into England

1van Sprou7e
10-06-2018, 06:26 PM

It is a realistic opportunity for these clubs to win a cup, don't know how the addition of these teams changed that

Eyrie
10-06-2018, 06:30 PM
Probably to do with the sponsors wanting their brand extended into England

Makes sense for Wales and Ireland, although how much attention it will get in England is debatable.

It is a realistic opportunity for these clubs to win a cup, don't know how the addition of these teams changed that

Because the more teams that are in it, the harder its gets. And neither of the beaten semi-finalists last season were Scottish. There could have been a Wales-Northern Ireland final for a "Scottish" trophy.

Jim Herriot
10-06-2018, 06:36 PM
As we’ve done away with the under 21 league, anyone know what age the colt teams will be?

It's under-20's.

Full rules for 17/18 are here - https://spfl.co.uk/docs/067_324__challengecupregulations201730june_1501603 596.pdf

7.4 In the case of Colt Teams participating in the Competition, Players who qualify as Under20 Players and who would be eligible to Play in the Development League for theClub/club concerned, are eligible to Play in the Competition.

7.5 A Colt Team shall be permitted, but not obliged, to Play a maximum of two Over AgePlayers in any Match.

I can't find an equivalent document for 18/19 though.

Billy Whizz
10-06-2018, 06:37 PM
Makes sense for Wales and Ireland, although how much attention it will get in England is debatable.

Because the more teams that are in it, the harder its gets. And neither of the beaten semi-finalists last season were Scottish. There could have been a Wales-Northern Ireland final for a "Scottish" trophy.

All the Colt teams struggled last year, as it was an under 20 age group. Wonder if it’s the same this season, if it is we may struggle to get much of a side together for this