PDA

View Full Version : Punt the puns?

snooky
09-06-2018, 01:57 PM
Even as one of the main offenders, I have to hold my hand up and say I can understand why people dislike puns in threads. A clever one is fine but they tend to drag out till they get to the barrel-scraping level.
Here's a poll to try and get a general view of .netters.

Alfiembra
09-06-2018, 02:10 PM
I think it’s punstopable.......oops is this meant to be a serious thread :greengrin

Hibbyradge
09-06-2018, 04:36 PM
Puns are part of what people do.

If you want to suck the soul out of the site, ban puns.

Ban all humour, in fact.

adhibs
09-06-2018, 07:34 PM

Ban all humour, in fact.

Puns and humour are very, very, often unconnected. They are ocassionaly funny, but are generally just dragged out to death.

Does anyone actually have conversations coming out with pun after pun in real life? Seems a bit of a strange hibs.net phenomenon.

Dalianwanda
09-06-2018, 08:01 PM

Ban all humour, in fact.

Why ban all humour?

Suck the soul out the site??? If soul is have to continually scroll to find something thats actually connected to the topic lets get sucking...

Some folk love them and thats cool but as already said theres only a couple that are actually funny, the rest just seem forced & it drags out..Its not as if you can just ignore them.

Saying that cant really see how you can ban them to be honest. Having the thread to do with summer transfer puns is a start.

HibbyAndy
09-06-2018, 08:34 PM

Ban all humour, in fact.

How about we just have an idiotic thread for everyone that's idiotic ?

It's boring reading every other thread with someone thinking they are funny when they really aren't

bingo70
09-06-2018, 09:43 PM
I think folk need to chill out and remember it’s just a football forum.

If theres some posts that you don’t like then boohoo.....dry yer eyes and ignore it, move on to the next thread.

FWIW I find them nippy but im sure I’d contribute more to the puns if I was sharp enough.

Pretty Boy
09-06-2018, 09:57 PM
The problem with the puns is 2 or 3 people are really quite witty, then about 15 others jump on the bandwagon and are about as funny as a dose of toothache.

I agree with the sentiment that they are easily ignored though. It's a ***** time of the year for being on here. No football, no signings and no Rangers statements so it's all a bit quiet. Little things annoy people more and things that really aren't become a big deal.

snooky
11-06-2018, 09:35 AM
Oddly enough, I don't mind a few puns. I suppose we all have our own little pet dislikes on dotnet. Mine are...
1) Score prediction threads. (Why not just wait and see what happens?)
2) "Where can I see the game in *Somewheretown*" (What they are really telling us is ''I'm on holiday here").
3) "Okay, who's got tickets for...." (What they are actually saying is "I've got mine" :smug:).

McSwanky
11-06-2018, 10:33 AM
I voted for 'Other' as there is no options for 'More Puns Please.'

snooky
11-06-2018, 10:48 AM
I voted for 'Other' as there is no options for 'More Puns Please.'

"Puns are great" was supposed to cover the likes of "More Puns Please" :cool2: :greengrin

Speedy
11-06-2018, 11:41 AM
Oddly enough, I don't mind a few puns. I suppose we all have our own little pet dislikes on dotnet. Mine are...
1) Score prediction threads. (Why not just wait and see what happens?)
2) "Where can I see the game in *Somewheretown*" (What they are really telling us is ''I'm on holiday here").
3) "Okay, who's got tickets for...." (What they are actually saying is "I've got mine" :smug:).

Nothing wrong with number 2. Some people have great recommendations.

snooky
11-06-2018, 11:47 AM
Nothing wrong with number 2. Some people have great recommendations.

Okay, I agree, if it's for the sole reason of seeing the game.
Somebody else (can't remember who) must have the same pet gripe as me because they once posted "Where can I see the game on the Moon?" I laughed my socks off at that one.
:top marks