PDA

View Full Version : Sir Kenny

Billy Whizz
08-06-2018, 09:37 PM
Dalglish, Knighted

ancient hibee
08-06-2018, 09:39 PM
He deserves it for his actions after Hillsborough.

Mibbes Aye
08-06-2018, 09:43 PM
While I'm not sure about the honours system, if sportsmen and sportswoman should receive some sort of public acknowledgement then Kenny Dalglish has been overdue for a long, long time.

His exploits as a footballer were more than enough and how he responded to Hillsborough took him way, way beyond that.

Scouse Hibee
08-06-2018, 09:46 PM
The King is now Sir King Kenny, long overdue.

Billy Whizz
08-06-2018, 09:46 PM
While I'm not sure about the honours system, if sportsmen and sportswoman should receive some sort of public acknowledgement then Kenny Dalglish has been overdue for a long, long time.

His exploits as a footballer were more than enough and how he responded to Hillsborough took him way, way beyond that.

Great post, 100% agree

kevinc
08-06-2018, 09:56 PM

Agree with this. As an aside, I am attending fundraiser next week where a framed and signed KD 1978 Liverpool shirt is one of the auction items, I expect this news may push the price up.

BILLYHIBS
08-06-2018, 10:02 PM
:top marks

Sir King Kenny is an absolute legend for the way he has conducted himself on and off the park above and beyond the call of duty for football, charity and the City of Liverpool. Well deserved. RESPECT.

:not worth:not worth:not worth:not worth:not worth:not worth:not worth:not worth:not worth

Mibbes Aye
08-06-2018, 10:08 PM
There will be posters of a certain age, me being one, for whom Kenny Dalglish was God and who you claimed to be when you scored a raker or a peach down the side of the flats, or at the rec, or in the street.

You got a glimpse of other stellar players every so often, when the very limited TV coverage allowed - Platini, Rumenigge and the likes.

Absolute legend, already a legend before I was old enough to know who he was, and continued to be after I did.

Austinho
08-06-2018, 10:14 PM
:top marks

Sir King Kenny is an absolute legend for the way he has conducted himself on and off the park above and beyond the call of duty for football, charity and the City of Liverpool. Well deserved. RESPECT.

:not worth:not worth:not worth:not worth:not worth:not worth:not worth:not worth:not worthMostly.

Didn’t cover himself in glory defending Suárez after the Evra racism scandal. Seem to remember the Liverpool players even wearing Suárez tshirts after him being found guilty.

BILLYHIBS
08-06-2018, 10:41 PM
Mostly.

Didn’t cover himself in glory defending Suárez after the Evra racism scandal. Seem to remember the Liverpool players even wearing Suárez tshirts after him being found guilty.
Agree. Not the first Manager to show misplaced loyalty to a player in the wrong though must admit dragged on too long. We all make mistakes so can draw a line under that and move on as Suarez did -until his next misdemeanour .Still feel this honour long overdue for the work he has done with Hillsborough and his wife Marinas charities.He was not a bad player also though feel his special performances for Scotland were somewhat spaced out though welcome special moments when they arrived. His face always lit up when he scored arms raised and thrown back and that special smile.The goal against Wales at Anfield and the goal against Chelsea to win the league at Stamford Bridge as Player Manager and the goal at Wembley against Bruges to win the European Cup.He was the real deal.

Baader
08-06-2018, 10:48 PM
Long overdue. One of football's good guys. At one point he was attending five funerals a day in the aftermath of Hillsborough. Complete respect for Sir King.

One Day Soon
08-06-2018, 10:57 PM
Kenny Dalglish is one of the classiest guys in the game. Dignity, integrity and loyalty all day long.

Absolutely delighted to see this recognition for him and perhaps too for the club, the city and all it went through after Hillsborough.

DarlingtonHibee
08-06-2018, 11:02 PM
Delighted for him and his family, did he play in Alan sneddons testimonial, and Keith got a hat trick?

ToffeeCabbage
08-06-2018, 11:13 PM

His exploits as a footballer were more than enough and how he responded to Hillsborough took him way, way beyond that.Personally against the honours system and what it represents but if it is to be a thing, then there is nobody I can think of that deserves recognition more than him. Congrats Kenny

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

RIP Bestie
08-06-2018, 11:17 PM
Congratulations to a wonderful player and person.
Arise Sir Kenny. Well deserved.

FranckSuzy
08-06-2018, 11:32 PM
Delighted for him and his family, did he play in Alan sneddons testimonial, and Keith got a hat trick?

Found this :aok:

Mibbes Aye
09-06-2018, 12:37 AM

Beautiful :flag::aok:

Dr Jimmy
09-06-2018, 01:06 AM
There will be posters of a certain age, me being one, for whom Kenny Dalglish was God and who you claimed to be when you scored a raker or a peach down the side of the flats, or at the rec, or in the street.

You got a glimpse of other stellar players every so often, when the very limited TV coverage allowed - Platini, Rumenigge and the likes.

Absolute legend, already a legend before I was old enough to know who he was, and continued to be after I did.

Your post took me back to kick abouts in the Park. Happier days...thank you x

givescotlandfreedom
09-06-2018, 02:26 AM
Fought for many years with the British Government over Hillsborough. Thought he might have told them to bolt.

Stranraer
09-06-2018, 06:12 AM
well deserved IMO. The same cannot be said for the Network Rail big wig.

Pretty Boy
09-06-2018, 06:31 AM
Part of me wishes he'd told them to stick it.

However if we have an honours system and he's happy to accept it then I can't think of many people more deserving, certainly in the context of sport.

LancsHibs
09-06-2018, 06:40 AM
Pleased for KD, I assume this is for services to sport. I do wonder why this year and not last year or the year before etc... how exactly does the honours system work? Not a big fan of it and appears haphazard and apart from the odd pleb is just cronyism and pats on the back for the old boys and elite.

Hiber-nation
09-06-2018, 06:42 AM

I remember someone posting on here that he saw Kenny sitting in his car in Easter Road tucking into a fish supper after the game!

Billy Whizz
09-06-2018, 06:45 AM
I remember someone posting on here that he saw Kenny sitting in his car in Easter Road tucking into a fish supper after the game!

Seemingly it was always a white pudding supper he ate!

JimBHibees
09-06-2018, 06:59 AM
The King is now Sir King Kenny, long overdue.

Wonder if he considered turning the award down given the establishment driven conspiracy.

JimBHibees
09-06-2018, 07:01 AM
Fought for many years with the British Government over Hillsborough. Thought he might have told them to bolt.

Agree.

I'm_cabbaged
09-06-2018, 07:54 AM

If remember correctly did he not score 4? Spoke to Keith and he told me that KK told him to run into channels, I’ll find you 👍

The Harp
09-06-2018, 08:19 AM
Like many more, I'm not in favour of the honours system, but if anyone deserves recognition of their achievements it's Kenny. This award is unlikely to change him in the least. Truly one of life's good guys.

The Harp Awakes
09-06-2018, 08:22 AM
Pleased for KD, I assume this is for services to sport. I do wonder why this year and not last year or the year before etc... how exactly does the honours system work? Not a big fan of it and appears haphazard and apart from the odd pleb is just cronyism and pats on the back for the old boys and elite.

:agree:

Kenny's a good guy but I would have loved him to refuse the award due to the establishment's cover up over Hillsborough. The honors system is discredited; title and privilege is throwback to the days of the British Empire and should have no place in modern society IMO.

Hiber-nation
09-06-2018, 10:46 AM

Aye that was it!

Billy Whizz
09-06-2018, 10:51 AM
Aye that was it!

Never had one. What’s in a white pudding?

weecounty hibby
09-06-2018, 10:57 AM
Never had one. What’s in a white pudding?

Oatmeal, onions, spices and that's about it. Vegetarian meal🤔

BILLYHIBS
09-06-2018, 11:14 AM
Same fav meal as Gordon Juke Box Durie

Billy Whizz
09-06-2018, 11:22 AM

And then Fried!

heretoday
09-06-2018, 11:23 AM
White pudding. There's a throwback to the 70s.
Doused in sauce a white pudding supper was the perfect end to a day of watching The Tornadoes and an evening drinking heavy.

Renfrew_Hibby
09-06-2018, 11:23 AM
No one more deserving in football. Well done Kenny.

superfurryhibby
09-06-2018, 11:28 AM

You forgot the Suet. That’s what makes it non-veg.

As for Kenny, one of the best Scottish players of all time. He was truly world class in his prime. He had it all ( maybe lacked lightning pace- but his vision and skill on the ball made up for that) and was very committed to playing for the national team. Privileged to have seen him play.

A Hi-Bee
09-06-2018, 11:29 AM
If remember correctly did he not score 4? Spoke to Keith and he told me that KK told him to run into channels, I’ll find you 👍

Yes and Kenny never moved far from the Centre Circle, class all over although time messes wi the memory as I could not remember what testimonial this was, thought it was the one for our own King Paddy.

Scouse Hibee
09-06-2018, 11:38 AM
:agree:

Kenny's a good guy but I would have loved him to refuse the award due to the establishment's cover up over Hillsborough. The honors system is discredited; title and privilege is throwback to the days of the British Empire and should have no place in modern society IMO.

He may well have done had Margaret Aspinall and Trevor Hicks refused their honours previously. They didn't so it might have seemed as if Kenny was going against them which he would never do.

Scouse Hibee
09-06-2018, 11:39 AM
I was at that testimonial and absolutely delighted to see my hero in a Hibs shirt.

blackpoolhibs
09-06-2018, 12:23 PM
Probably my favourite non Hibs playing Scottish player. Cant think of a footballer that deserves this honour more? :top marks

OxoHibby
09-06-2018, 12:55 PM

Truly works class as a player. Best I've seen live. Was once at Newcastle when they played Liverpool mid late eighties. Dalglish came on and even the geordies were saying we are foooked now

HibbiesandtheBaddies
09-06-2018, 01:12 PM
King Kenny was my favourite footballer along with Sir Pat. What a player.

Chic Murray
09-06-2018, 01:27 PM
Delighted about this news, especially after that BBC Documentary recently.

I hadn't realised that he had been at the Ibrox Disaster as a fan, as well as being a player at the Heysel, and manager at Hillsborough.

Humbling to think of the dignity he has shown.

NAE NOOKIE
09-06-2018, 02:28 PM

He wouldn't have been the first person involved to do that. Its a national disgrace the lengths the relatives and folk like KD had to go to in order to get the establishment to face up to their responsibilities. Its beyond ironic that their reward is to be 'honoured' by that same establishment.

I'm fine with the nation having a way to recognise outstanding contributions to society, sport and the arts ..... an outmoded and elitist honours system like the one we have should be shoved straight into the bin and replaced with something that doesn't look like you are being accepted as worthy of a place at the table with your 'betters'

hibby6270
09-06-2018, 02:39 PM
Deserves it purely on the basis he pulled on a Hibs strip at Alan Sneddon’s Testimonial. :greengrin:wink:

But seriously, his post Hilsborough work has been carried out in such a respectful unassuming manner, the honour is richly deserved. :thumbsup:

IWasThere2016
09-06-2018, 03:56 PM

With American Cream Soda

Keith_M
09-06-2018, 04:25 PM
Surely King Kenny to Sir Kenny is a demotion.

stoneyburn hibs
09-06-2018, 05:46 PM
Maybe (mibbies) Scotland's best ever player, if not export ?
I'm not old enough to remember the 1st half of his career, but what a player.
Last two goals for Scotland against Spain at Hampden I think ?
Always played with a smile on his face.

WoreTheGreen
09-06-2018, 06:43 PM
KK never changed accsent or attitude a true Scottish great

Nakedmanoncrack
10-06-2018, 08:25 AM
Delighted about this news, especially after that BBC Documentary recently.

I hadn't realised that he had been at the Ibrox Disaster as a fan, as well as being a player at the Heysel, and manager at Hillsborough.

Humbling to think of the dignity he has shown.

Almost correct, he was at the Ibrox disaster as a young unused Celtic player.

Keith_M
10-06-2018, 08:49 AM
As much as I respect Dalglish for everything he has done within and outside Football, I find it disappointing that he accepted this 'honour'.

If we really want to award people for things they have done for society and sport, we need to find some other way to do it.

This alleged honours system is outdated (empire awards? lords and ladies?) and rendered meaningless by many of the people the 'awards' are given to, e.g to people giving large political donations and the likes of 'Sir' David Murray and 'Sir' Philip Green.

worcesterhibby
10-06-2018, 08:57 AM
As much as I respect Dalglish for everything he has done within and outside Football, I find it disappointing that he accepted this 'honour'.

If we really want to award people for things they have done for society and sport, we need to find some other way to do it.

This alleged honours system is outdated (empire awards? lords and ladies?) and rendered meaningless by many of the people the 'awards' are given to, e.g to people giving large political donations and the likes of 'Sir' David Murray and 'Sir' Philip Green.

True but our own Sir David Gray accepted a knighthood didn't he ? :greengrin

Keith_M
10-06-2018, 09:43 AM

That's different, it was awarded by the Fans

:wink:

The Baldmans Comb
10-06-2018, 02:19 PM
Dalglish is still an adimrable human being despite feeling the need to accept some frankly ridiculous "title'.

InchHibby
10-06-2018, 02:42 PM
White pudding. There's a throwback to the 70s.
Doused in sauce a white pudding supper was the perfect end to a day of watching The Tornadoes and an evening drinking heavy.

So right, soaked up all the bevvy.

SonOfDavidFrancey
10-06-2018, 03:52 PM

In Kenny’s case it’s a downgrade.- he was a king before, now he’s only a knight...

Best ‘turn and shoot’ I’ve ever seen.

Interesting in the light of All the discussion. Of Argentina etc that at the time there was a common perception that he didn’t turn It on in a Scotland shirt very often

BILLYHIBS
16-11-2018, 01:27 PM

Arise Sir King Kenny Dalglish!

Iggy Pope
16-11-2018, 01:30 PM
Just seen him interviewed on the BBC. Brings a smile to my face every time I hear him speak.

SanFranHibs
16-11-2018, 01:31 PM
Beautiful :flag::aok:

Is it true we could have had him for 150k? :grr:

Always liked him. Seems like a great guy, true to his family and his friends.

SeanWilson
16-11-2018, 01:36 PM
Was my mates agent, although things didn't quite work out the way they thought... Still checks in on him and his family. True gentleman.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Roxyhibee
16-11-2018, 05:49 PM
Apart from the Brazil 1970 team, I don’t think I’ve seen any team having as much fun playing football as that great Liverpool team - and Kenny was the source of it all.

Even Souness can be seen laughing and smiling in the old highlights.

Just shows how good our 1972 LC Final performance was - we had to keep a hungry young Dalglish at bay that day for 90 minutes. He still scored though.!

superfurryhibby
16-11-2018, 06:06 PM
As a boy Dalglish appeared almost god like when I saw him against Hibs. Sadly, our league record against them during the early - mid seventies was pretty dire and he was clearly, even to my pre oubescent eyes, a truly wonderful player. Genuinely worthy of the term world class

No one is more worthy of recognition on the sporting front, long overdue.

aiden15088
16-11-2018, 06:25 PM
With American Cream Soda

That is absolutely correct I was working at Easter road that night he never ventured out the centre circle and was immense,and he gave his orders when he was getting subbed he was wanting a fish supper and a white pudding and also a bottle of cream soda.

Absolute legend!

marinello59
16-11-2018, 08:12 PM
He wasn’t just the best player on the park when he played against us for Celtic, he was the hardest working. I always remember how red faced he used to be walking off the park after tormenting our defence for 90 minutes. And he became an even better player when he went south. A true legend.

Scouse Hibee
16-11-2018, 08:19 PM
The King cost £440,000 in 1977 and he is without a doubt the greatest Liverpool player in my lifetime. King Kenny is an absolute living legend.

WhileTheChief..
16-11-2018, 08:51 PM
Was delighted when he went back to manage Liverpool a few years ago. Gutted that it was for such a short time.

I remember reading their fans forum when he was appointed and it was amazing to read the reception he got. Youngsters who had only heard tales had their hero back at their club etc.

He seems to be loved by everyone, well deserved award.

Crunchie
16-11-2018, 10:49 PM

Wow....... if only. One of, if not the greatest players to don the Scotland jersey.

The Harp
16-11-2018, 11:07 PM
Saw him receiving his knighthood on ITV news. Great humourous film clip with his wife and their family. Not only a footballing legend but a great guy who remains totally unaffected by the adulation he receives.

16-11-2018, 11:25 PM

One of the best players I can say I saw pull on a Hibs shirt. Just wish it could have been more than one game. For me the best Scottish player ever. A genius on the ball.

BILLYHIBS
16-11-2018, 11:57 PM

The goal versus Belgium away Spain at Hampden Wales at Anfield Bruges at Wembley Chelsea at Stamford Bridge nutmeg on Ray Clemence at Hampden that red face beaming smile hands held aloft and pushed back covered in sweat told you Dalglish had scored
A Liverpool fan asked me in Majorca what Dalglish was like back in 1977 as they had just sold Kevin Keegan to Hamburg (who?)
I tapped him on the head and said different class son different class.

Baader
17-11-2018, 12:04 AM
So glad to have seen him play in a Hibs top. A truly great player and a fine human being. Absolute class.

Haymaker
17-11-2018, 03:09 AM
The King cost £440,000 in 1977 and he is without a doubt the greatest Liverpool player in my lifetime. King Kenny is an absolute living legend.

:faf: £440,000 is only £5.6m in today's money. What a ridiculous steal!

Eyrie
17-11-2018, 10:25 AM

Which only goes to show how football transfers have grown exponentially over the years.

You'd need to multiply that £5.6m by 10 or even 20 to get Dalglish's value if he was in his prime today.

BILLYHIBS
17-11-2018, 10:38 AM
Which only goes to show how football transfers have grown exponentially over the years.

You'd need to multiply that £5.6m by 10 or even 20 to get Dalglish's value if he was in his prime today.
What price Pat Stanton then in today’s money?

Betty Boop
17-11-2018, 11:06 AM
Saw him receiving his knighthood on ITV news. Great humourous film clip with his wife and their family. Not only a footballing legend but a great guy who remains totally unaffected by the adulation he receives.

Have to say his wife Marina looks amazing.

SRHibs
17-11-2018, 11:15 AM

She looks alright but let’s not go overboard!

The Harp
18-11-2018, 12:20 AM

You're right, Marina seems a lovely woman. He's blessed with a fine family by the looks of it.

The Harp Awakes
18-11-2018, 12:51 AM
I've seen Kenny Dalgliesh in the flesh many times as a player for Scotland and Celtic. Kenny is a good man and deserved of recognition for a remarkable career, albeit the UK awards system is discredited.

Kenny scored a lot of goals for Scotland, but, IMO his performances in the blue jersey weren't always brilliant. He was a much better club player than for his country.

proud_and_green
18-11-2018, 01:35 AM
:faf: £440,000 is only £5.6m in today's money. What a ridiculous steal!Interesting, presumably that's a general multiplier which I think may not necessarily be appropriate. Football player prices have inflated at a different rate to other prices. It would be interesting to see a relative inflator.

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

superfurryhibby
18-11-2018, 09:03 AM
Interesting, presumably that's a general multiplier which I think may not necessarily be appropriate. Football player prices have inflated at a different rate to other prices. It would be interesting to see a relative inflator.

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

It was then a British record transfer fee, that might be your relative indicator. No idea what that is now though.

BILLYHIBS
18-11-2018, 09:29 AM
I would thoroughly recommend the Kenny DVD shows clips from all of his great games career, family videos and of course concentrates on the Hillsborogh and Hysel disasters

A knighthood well deserved

LustForLeith
18-11-2018, 09:35 AM
I’m disgusted that there’s people in here who’ve never had a white pudding! I was raised on them!

Catering folk need to start selling them!

BILLYHIBS
18-11-2018, 09:41 AM
I was standing in the queue at Brattisanis Haymarket in the 1980s and standing in front of me was Gordon Juke Box Durie and you guessed it he ordered a white pudding supper the food of all great strikers :greengrin

Sir David Gray
18-11-2018, 10:29 AM

Seems to only be around £2.5 million on the sites I've checked. :dunno:

Betty Boop
18-11-2018, 10:40 AM
She looks alright but let’s not go overboard!

Well as she is survivor of breast cancer and a double mascectomy I think she looks pretty good.

SRHibs
18-11-2018, 12:24 PM
Well as she is survivor of breast cancer and a double mascectomy I think she looks pretty good.

Yeah, I didn’t realise how insensitive I was being when making that (awful) pun! Apologies.

Haymaker
18-11-2018, 01:34 PM
Seems to only be around £2.5 million on the sites I've checked. :dunno:

:dunno: not the one I checked but either way, steal.