PDA

View Full Version : One match, one moment you could have for a "re-take"

Greenbeard
06-06-2018, 08:54 AM
Some fantastic memories on the "relive a match thread". So this time, what if you were allowed to wave the magic wand to get a second chance for one particular moment - a re-take if you like, hoping for a different outcome?

Just the one chance - one match, one moment.

Must be loads, but which would have had the biggest potential impact on Hibs or you personally?

Newcastlehibby
06-06-2018, 08:57 AM
Bobby Duncan’s piledriver of a strike to open the scoring against Napoli.

BILLYHIBS
06-06-2018, 08:59 AM
Some fantastic memories on the "relive a match thread". So this time, what if you were allowed to wave the magic wand to get a second chance for one particular moment - a re-take if you like, hoping for a different outcome?

Must be loads, but which would have had the biggest potential impact on Hibs or you personally?
Cummings penalty against Hamilton maybe give it to someone more experienced though don’t suppose it would have mattered better team won we win as a team lose as a team.

GGTTH

Blaster
06-06-2018, 09:00 AM
Hunter’s goal at tynecastle for me

Greenbeard
06-06-2018, 09:03 AM
Bobby Duncan’s piledriver of a strike to open the scoring against Napoli.
Hoping for a different outcome?

Diclonius
06-06-2018, 09:18 AM
About 53182365 last minute chances to get an equaliser/winner in the derby, most notable being Collins' miss in the last one before we went down. That would have brought it back to 2-2 from 0-2 and I suspect we would have gone on to win.

Failing that, Cummings' shot going in instead of hitting the bar in the playoff semi final at Falkirk.

Suburban Hibby
06-06-2018, 09:19 AM
Hunter’s goal at tynecastle for me

Yep- Has to be this!
Absolute , 100% elation, bedlam, madness

Austinho
06-06-2018, 09:21 AM
The Suso dive outside the box at 2-1 in the SC Final. Although I’m sure Craig Thomson could watch it 100 times and still somehow award a penalty and a red card.

Not sure if we’d have gone on to equalise or not, but certainly wouldn’t have been the humping it was.

1van Sprou7e
06-06-2018, 09:23 AM
Considering where we are as a club atm you maybe wouldn't want to go too far back

Recent ones could be MacLaren's 2 misses against Aberdeen I suppose

Score and we may well have won, he also probably wouldn't have been dropped for the derby

Imo our lineup was all wrong in that game and playing with 2 up top would have drastically increased our odds

I think if we beat Aberdeen we'd have been favourites for 2nd

1van Sprou7e
06-06-2018, 09:24 AM
The Suso dive outside the box at 2-1 in the SC Final. Although I’m sure Craig Thomson could watch it 100 times and still somehow award a penalty and a red card.

Not sure if we’d have gone on to equalise or not, but certainly wouldn’t have been the humping it was.

May well have still been a humping tbh, that team was rotten and incredibly mentally fragile

CropleyWasGod
06-06-2018, 09:27 AM

It was still a yellow, his second.

That said, playing without Kujabi might have given an advantage to us. :greengrin

snooky
06-06-2018, 09:33 AM
Oddly enough, it is a game I didn't go to. I was listening to the 10 men derby game on the car radio in the wilds of Scotland when Gaz scored the winner. I went totally ballistic. Probably more than I would have had I been at ER.
:partyhibb <-- me. :crazy:

Austinho
06-06-2018, 09:43 AM

That said, playing without Kujabi might have given an advantage to us. :greengrinIt wasn’t even a foul, so shouldn’t have been a booking or a sending off. Clear dive if you can bare to watch it again!

Onion
06-06-2018, 09:44 AM
Luna header in the last min of normal time against AEK. The roof would have come off every stand.

JeMeSouviens
06-06-2018, 09:48 AM
Luna header in the last min of normal time against AEK. The roof would have come off every stand.

And I wouldn't have kicked the concrete base my terracing seat was sitting on and ended up limping about for days. :rolleyes:

JeMeSouviens
06-06-2018, 09:55 AM
Both mine involve McGinlays!

Scottish cup final 1979 - Brian McGinlay gives the penalty for McCloy's assault on Colin Campbell. Ally MacLeod (the real one) steps up and slots it home.

Scottish Cup semi vs Celtc at Ibrox in 1995. Game at 0-0 heading into the last couple of mins and Jim Leighton has just saved Andy ****er's penalty. Hibs, who have been pretty ***** all game, come alive. Darren Jackson slides a shot just wide and then, as we go into injury time, Pat McGinlay has a rasping shot from about 25 yards that instead of clipping the outside of the post, goes just inside. First division Airdrie await in the final and we murder them, stopping the clock at a mere 93 years!

BILLYHIBS
06-06-2018, 09:55 AM
May well have still been a humping tbh, that team was rotten and incredibly mentally fragile
What about a straight red in the first minute to Ian Black for elbowing the back of Sparkys heid?

PS

Some posters on here are on the wrong thread.

WHAM
06-06-2018, 09:59 AM
Oddly enough, it is a game I didn't go to. I was listening to the 10 men derby game on the car radio in the wilds of Scotland when Gaz scored the winner. I went totally ballistic. Probably more than I would have had I been at ER.
:partyhibb <-- me. :crazy:

Absolute scenes that day!!

Not In The Know
06-06-2018, 10:03 AM

That said, playing without Kujabi might have given an advantage to us. :greengrin

The Flying elbow to the back of Griffiths neck in the first 5 mins of the cup final from the painter.

This time with a ref who didn't support hearts.

Greenbeard
06-06-2018, 10:03 AM
This one def on my list although had he scored, what would the longer term impact have been, other than a mentally joyous moment/night?

Also unsure about any "re-takes" that would have prevented (or shortened?) our recent spell in the Championship. Are we not a stronger team now for that spell? Being able to develop the team and playing the Hibs way again was made possible by that spell and who knows where we might be had we remained a struggling Prem team.

GreenNWhiteArmy
06-06-2018, 10:07 AM
Aberdeen or Hearts game in the post split fixtures.

We'd have finished 2nd if we won up at Pittodrie IMO and third if we never gave away schoolboy defending goals vs hearts

JeMeSouviens
06-06-2018, 10:14 AM

Not a match moment, but what if Celtc didn't poach Jock Stein in 1965?

It's not inconceivable that at that time Hibs could have gone on to win the European Cup.

BegbieHSC
06-06-2018, 10:18 AM
That 2-2 against Celtic at Easter Road last season.

After being 2-0 down, bringing it back to 2-2. Imagine what it would have been like had Shaw’s shot to make it 3 in the last minute not been cleared off the line? Imagine the scenes after being 2-nil down, to go on and end the ‘Invincibles’ streak in such a manner?

If only Lustig had been a few inches to the right..,

Broken Gnome
06-06-2018, 10:18 AM
Lately, either McGregor would have put his foot through it at Tynecastle or Whittaker's header would have gone in against Rangers. Probably the latter, 4-0 inside 25 and I think we'd have done it, as opposed to being 3-1 and all over.

Bit further back, Rocky's header in the cup against Aberdeen would have gone in.

And way back, probably two involving Scott Brown in 2006/07. If he hadnt missed when clean through in the League Cup game we'd have mbttered then instead of only winning 1-0, and his chip cleared off the line against Dunfermline in the semi final replay. A double that year would have been one of the only ways to better how we ended up winning the thing.

zlatan
06-06-2018, 10:20 AM
Paco Luna's header
MacLaren's penalty at Pittodrie
John Collins starting lineup in the SC semi replay against Dunfermline
Ivan's shot that came off the post in the first leg against Dnipro

Killiehibbie
06-06-2018, 10:22 AM
Both mine involve McGinlays!

Scottish cup final 1979 - Brian McGinlay gives the penalty for McCloy's assault on Colin Campbell. Ally MacLeod (the real one) steps up and slots it home.

Scottish Cup semi vs Celtc at Ibrox in 1995. Game at 0-0 heading into the last couple of mins and Jim Leighton has just saved Andy ****er's penalty. Hibs, who have been pretty ***** all game, come alive. Darren Jackson slides a shot just wide and then, as we go into injury time, Pat McGinlay has a rasping shot from about 25 yards that instead of clipping the outside of the post, goes just inside. First division Airdrie await in the final and we murder them, stopping the clock at a mere 93 years!

Just what i was going to say:flag:

CallumLaidlaw
06-06-2018, 10:37 AM
Failing that, Cummings' shot going in instead of hitting the bar in the playoff semi final at Falkirk.

I’m a big believer in the butterfly effect.

So if we had beaten falkirk, I don’t think we would’ve won the Scottish cup, or ended up with Neil Lennon in charge and be where we are now. We may well have been promoted the following season, but it would still have been in front of crowds of 9k.

Same goes for beating Hamilton in the relegation play off. Yes we might have stayed up, but I don’t think 4 years later we’d be in the place we are now.

I’d maybe just go for Maclaren retaking his penalty against Aberdeen recently.
Or going back to just before Aberdeen’s 3rd goal in last seasons cup semi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LithgaeHibby
06-06-2018, 10:56 AM
In the home European game against Liege, Goram not running up and instructing Houchen to put his penalty in the opposite corner.

1van Sprou7e
06-06-2018, 11:00 AM
I’m a big believer in the butterfly effect.

So if we had beaten falkirk, I don’t think we would’ve won the Scottish cup, or ended up with Neil Lennon in charge and be where we are now. We may well have been promoted the following season, but it would still have been in front of crowds of 9k.

Same goes for beating Hamilton in the relegation play off. Yes we might have stayed up, but I don’t think 4 years later we’d be in the place we are now.

I’d maybe just go for Maclaren retaking his penalty against Aberdeen recently.
Or going back to just before Aberdeen’s 3rd goal in last seasons cup semi.

The Aberdeen semi last year is a good shout actually

We really ought to have won that game and kept the 2 in a row dream alive

WeeRussell
06-06-2018, 11:11 AM
I'd have David Gray scoring the winner 2 minutes later.. just for complete perfection. :agree:

Eyrie
06-06-2018, 04:04 PM
The Flying elbow to the back of Griffiths neck in the first 5 mins of the cup final from the painter.

Those are the two that come to my mind.

nonshinyfinish
06-06-2018, 05:07 PM
No contest, Paco Luna.

One Day Soon
06-06-2018, 05:47 PM

Yep, this.

Smartie
06-06-2018, 06:12 PM
Wayne Foster would have done a few hundred less half time draws if I could go back in time and get Dave Beaumont to commit a cynical foul 50 yards from goal.

The suspended Geebsie comes back in for the replay.......

Newcastlehibby
06-06-2018, 06:14 PM
Hoping for a different outcome?

I didn't pick up on that bit. Ok, hoping for 7.

stantonhibby
06-06-2018, 06:18 PM
Numerous derbies i'd like to go back to. Rob Jones late header in the 2-2 game springs to mind......but back to injury time with us 2-4 up and tell Zambernardi to keep the ball instead of an aimless punt up the park gets my vote.

Onion
06-06-2018, 06:19 PM
I'd have David Gray scoring the winner 2 minutes later.. just for complete perfection. :agree:

Whole day, build up, game, score, Halliday, Hendo, Gray, post-match Ibrox party, post-match statements, media angst .... was perfection. Will be talked about for 100 years.

jakedance
06-06-2018, 06:33 PM
Wayne Foster would have done a few hundred less half time draws if I could go back in time and get Dave Beaumont to commit a cynical foul 50 yards from goal.

The suspended Geebsie comes back in for the replay.......

This one without a doubt.

GRA
06-06-2018, 06:38 PM
Luna header in the last min of normal time against AEK. The roof would have come off every stand.My thoughts exactly! One of the best atmosphere experiences at ER that day, can barely imagine what it would have been like if that had gone in.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Cardinal Hibernian
06-06-2018, 06:46 PM
In the home European game against Liege, Goram not running up and instructing Houchen to put his penalty in the opposite corner.Very good shout - I echo that. Completely forgot about Goram running up though. I think it was Alan Sneddon who won the penalty after a mazy - run - charge that started back in defence. It was a poor kick by Houchen to the goalie's right at waist height which was easily palmed away round the post. Score that and I am still convinced we would have won the tie and gone through and got through at least one or two more rounds of the UEFA Cup that season.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

Cardinal Hibernian
06-06-2018, 06:53 PM
Another missed penalty. John Collins in his last game before moving to Celtc for £1M. Missed a very late penalty in the last game of the season at home to Dundee in May 1990. Finished 0 - 0. A win would have given secured a European place for the second season running.

Not sure it would have prevented what was to unfold a few weeks later though.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

AgentDaleCooper
06-06-2018, 07:25 PM
Whitty's header just before the huns pulled a goal back on the last day of last season.

Jones28
06-06-2018, 10:17 PM
Whitty's header just before the huns pulled a goal back on the last day of last season.

This. Or at least after the corner everyone get back in their positions instead of head in hands stuff. Should have sealed them out for the rest of the half then gone again second half.

snooky
07-06-2018, 12:08 AM
I would rewind the moment John Brownlie broke his leg and get him to ride the tackle or just avoid it in any way.

TelaStella
07-06-2018, 12:45 AM
First season in championship at the bus shelter, only the 2nd game. Started the game well and deservingly rewarded a penalty in the first half. Up steps Liam Craig, a stupid run up and the 18 year old reserve keeper makes an amazingly easy save. Score that and we’d have won that game and I’m not saying the outcome of that season might have changed but I don’t think there’d have been the gap that there was.

BILLYHIBS
07-06-2018, 06:30 AM
In the home European game against Liege, Goram not running up and instructing Houchen to put his penalty in the opposite corner.
Heard that Only two Andy Gorams had money on Houchey to be first scorer.

RobR27
07-06-2018, 07:17 AM
There's actually quite a few recent ones for me..

First instinct is the 5-1 game. But we had a pretty poor team that year and in all honesty I don't know how many re-runs we'd need to win it, we got pretty lucky with our route to the final.

Then there's the Hamilton 2nd leg, but it all ended up ok. Might not have gone the same way if we'd stayed up.

From a purely selfish standpoint I'd probably say the Brondby penalty shoot out. I live in Berlin so drawing Hertha in the next round would've been unreal.

But overall I'd have to agree with the AEK Athens shout. Imagine if we'd finished that off.

Keyser Sauzee
07-06-2018, 07:28 AM
Has to be Paco Luna scoring that header in the last few minutes against AEK, no contest. The atmosphere that night was unbelievable and not many games have beaten it since, imagine how much better it would have been if we’d have won.

WeeRussell
07-06-2018, 07:52 AM
Whole day, build up, game, score, Halliday, Hendo, Gray, post-match Ibrox party, post-match statements, media angst .... was perfection. Will be talked about for 100 years.

Fully aware of that, Onion. I wasn’t actually complaining that gray’s goal was too early!

Heisenberg
07-06-2018, 07:53 AM
The second Ross County goal in the league cup final. We defend that one moment better and we go on to win it I think.

Greenbeard
07-06-2018, 07:55 AM
Has to be Paco Luna scoring that header in the last few minutes against AEK, no contest. The atmosphere that night was unbelievable and not many games have beaten it since, imagine how much better it would have been if we’d have won.
Have you ever watched Hibs WIN a match and felt so deflated at what might have been...............

HUTCHYHIBBY
07-06-2018, 08:33 AM

This for me too, imagine the scenes.

Colin Campbell shooting to the other side of Peter McCloy in the cup final too.

Spike Mandela
07-06-2018, 08:43 AM
Before my time but how about going on to win the first European cup instead of being knocked out in the semis.😎

BILLYHIBS
07-06-2018, 08:51 AM
Before my time but how about going on to win the first European cup instead of being knocked out in the semis.😎
Someone would have to do a Ramos on Raymond Kopa and their goalie in both legs.

we are hibs
07-06-2018, 10:49 AM
Harry Kane not scoring that equaliser against Scotland a year ago. Or signing Griffiths for 150k 👀

Often wonder if fenlon would have left if we had beaten hearts in the cup that night. Don't think i have seen us pummel them so much than that first 30.

Diclonius
07-06-2018, 11:12 AM
It's an interesting thought, what would have happened if Thomson had given nothing for the Kujabi-Suso incident in 2012. We had pulled a goal back just before half time but they started the second half at 100MPH.

Would they have continued as they were and got a couple more, or would we have settled and potentially gotten an equaliser? Sadly, we'll never know thanks to that prick.

AgentDaleCooper
07-06-2018, 11:17 AM
It's an interesting thought, what would have happened if Thomson had given nothing for the Kujabi-Suso incident in 2012. We had pulled a goal back just before half time but they started the second half at 100MPH.

Would they have continued as they were and got a couple more, or would we have settled and potentially gotten an equaliser? Sadly, we'll never know thanks to that prick.

Tbh, i wouldn't replay that game for anything. They can have their 5-1, the team that rose out of tge smouldering rubble and won it in 2016 DESERVED it.

Michael
07-06-2018, 11:23 AM

Can you imagine...also long before my time...but it would be the ultimate bragging right.

Captain Trips
07-06-2018, 11:30 AM
I would like Laudrup to retake the penalty for a 3rd time against us so Jimbo can save it yet again.

Barman Stanton
07-06-2018, 11:45 AM
I wouldn’t change anything prior to winning the cup. It kind of feels like we had to go through all the rubbish we did to eventually win the thing. The Ross County game for example, I just can’t help feel we wouldn’t have had the same desire to win if we had already won the League Cup.

So I will go with the 5-5 Rangers game, and have Whittakers header go in.

allezsauzee
07-06-2018, 12:49 PM

this one for me too.

Hibs1969
07-06-2018, 01:06 PM
Jason Cummings’ offside goal in the home game v Brondy to be given, as it should have been.

Stokesy's on fire
07-06-2018, 02:06 PM
I have to say in terms of a re-take i would choose a different Pen taker for our game at Aberdeen not too long ago. Had we converted that pen Aberdeen would have fell to bits and it would have been a real thrashing for them. Kamberi would have been a better option but never mind we turned the city green regardless.

Stokesy's on fire
07-06-2018, 02:07 PM
Jason Cummings’ offside goal in the home game v Brondy to be given, as it should have been.

agreed the linesman blundered and we won the 2nd leg game...Berlin was waiting to be invaded by Hibees

BILLYHIBS
07-06-2018, 02:11 PM
agreed the linesman blundered and we won the 2nd leg game...Berlin was waiting to be invaded by Hibees
Spanish ref was strutting about like a Matador wanting to be centre stage.

Keith_M
07-06-2018, 02:19 PM
1993 League Cup Final:

When that wee scrote McCoist was brought on as a sub, I'd have somebody cripple him with the first tackle.

May 1982, Celtic Park, Hibs lost 6-0:

I'd stay in the bus till the game was finished

March 1985, home game v Aberdeen

I'd have stayed at home and avoided both a 5-0 humping... and being punched on the side of the head in Princes St after the game, thereby not having ringing noises in my ear for two weeks afterward.

1van Sprou7e
08-06-2018, 04:47 PM
Just remembered one, Marciano's last minute header Vs Aberdeen in the cup semi

Was a pretty poor header but can you imagine the scenes if it went in...

HiBremian
08-06-2018, 05:23 PM
I would rewind the moment John Brownlie broke his leg and get him to ride the tackle or just avoid it in any way.

This. If it wasn’t for that East Fife hack on JB we genuinely could have won the league that season.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

R'Albin
08-06-2018, 05:53 PM
Halliday ballooning his shot instead of scoring the winner against us in the cup final.

therealgavmac
08-06-2018, 06:00 PM
Hibs v Leeds Utd 1973.......

Penalty shoot out......

Reversal of the captains.....

Pat Stanton scores his instead of hitting the woodwork, and Billy Bremner misses his.......

We win 5-4 on pens

Hibee Mac
08-06-2018, 06:58 PM
Just remembered one, Marciano's last minute header Vs Aberdeen in the cup semi

Was a pretty poor header but can you imagine the scenes if it went in...

Haha I remember that one. Left the game imagining the scenes had that gone in, what a story it would have been.

Glory Lurker
08-06-2018, 08:57 PM
First derby in 92/93 - reversing the graphic in the programme that showed how Hammie scored his penalty in the previous game.

tamig
10-06-2018, 07:02 PM
The Aberdeen semi last year is a good shout actually

We really ought to have won that game and kept the 2 in a row dream alive

I was going to say if Rocky’s header had hit the net in that semi it would have given us a massive lift and I’m positive we’d have won the game in extra time.

tamig
10-06-2018, 07:06 PM
Have you ever watched Hibs WIN a match and felt so deflated at what might have been...............

The play-off game v the hun at ER. Jason scored late on but it was too late.

tamig
10-06-2018, 07:13 PM
I know it may have papered over the cracks or just delayed the inevitable but if Jimmy Boco hadn’t taken a nose bleed and bottled it to put us 4-1 up against the hun early in the second half, that season may have ended with a different outcome. That might not necessarily have been the best outcome though as we may never have seen wee Russel or the majestic Sauzee.

snooky
11-06-2018, 08:47 AM
This. If it wasn’t for that East Fife hack on JB we genuinely could have won the league that season.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If my memory serves me well, it wasn't so much a bad tackle as an unfortunate one.
East Fife were more noted for kicking Edwards off the park. John Love being the main culprit in one particular game. As usual, the ref offered Mickey no protection but was quick to book the wee man for throwing the ball ( to Sloop strangely enough) in an aggressive fashion. That booking resulted in a hefty ban which like Onion's leg break, cost us dearly.
If I was a cynical man :rolleyes: I would probably have thought there was some kind of agenda at the time. :whistle: