PDA

View Full Version : Stand Renaming

GreenNWhiteArmy
06-06-2018, 06:52 AM
The subject appeared on the James Connolly thread and just wondered - has there ever been much appetite from within the club at working together meetings or AGM about either the East or West being renamed?

Personally, I'd be happy to see the West renamed the "Sir Tom Farmer Stand"

"The East" is all I've ever known for that stand and brings a lot of memories so no need to rename? Although a nod to the "Time for Heroes' team would be fitting?

Sir David Gray
06-06-2018, 06:55 AM
Once he's retired, I would support a stand being named after David Gray.

Big_Franck
06-06-2018, 06:57 AM
The subject appeared on the James Connolly thread and just wondered - has there ever been much appetite from within the club at working together meetings or AGM about either the East or West being renamed?

"The East" is all I've ever known for that stand and brings a lot of memories so no need to rename? Although a nod to the "Time for Heroes' team would be fitting?

I think the East is fine as it is, but i'd be happy for the club to rename the south stand. The name could be voted for by fans on the clubs database, email a wee surveymonkey out to everyone on the list and go with the most popular.

Big_Franck
06-06-2018, 06:59 AM

I think that would be quite popular. As would James Connolly, Tom Farmer and maybe even Alan Stubbs. There's not a clear choice IMO so there'd need to be some sort of consultation/vote.

superfurryhibby
06-06-2018, 07:07 AM
I wouldn’t mind the South Stand being named on a commercial basis, after all we gave decades of free publicity to James Dunbar and co when that part of the ground was a terracing.

Smartie
06-06-2018, 07:08 AM
I've always liked the idea of "the Farmer Stand" naming not after only Sir Tom but also his relatives from years ago.

If it wasn't for these people our club wouldn't exist, and I think that deserves some sort of acknowledgment.

A decent shout could be made for Pat Stanton or Joe Baker too.

neil7908
06-06-2018, 07:12 AM
Personally not a big fan of naming stands unless there is a really obvious candidate.

Man Utd naming one after Fergie is a no-brainier given the decades of success he gave to the club.

SDG is a hero to all Hibs fans but I'm not sure convinced he deserves a stand named after the him.

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
06-06-2018, 07:12 AM
I think that would be quite popular. As would James Connolly, Tom Farmer and maybe even Alan Stubbs. There's not a clear choice IMO so there'd need to be some sort of consultation/vote.

Personally, if any one person deserves a stand renamed after them it should be Eddie Turnbull or Tom Farmer.

Any others are, imo, too much about personal preference, what era u grew up etc

Turnbull is unique in that he straddles our two greatest post-war sides, and sever with distinction as both player and manager.

Farmer for obvious reasons...

Also wouldn't be against our founders, Messrs Whelahan and Hannon being recognised

Ryan69
06-06-2018, 07:30 AM

Wouldnt be much point in naming it that,as you generally sell the name for money...which makes more sense.

And nobody is going to pay to call it that.

Hibs Class
06-06-2018, 07:32 AM
We've too many decent candidates and only 4 stands! Would it be an option to name individual blocks within the stands - we've got almost 50 to choose from?

Kavinho
06-06-2018, 07:34 AM
We've too many decent candidates and only 4 stands! Would it be an option to name individual blocks within the stands - we've got almost 50 to choose from?

There's only 1 that would meet my high standards!

Eaststandee
06-06-2018, 07:35 AM
I should hope that Farmer would have a stand named after him at some point.

:flag:

Kojock
06-06-2018, 07:39 AM

Only 3 to be named tho as we already have the Famous Five.

Brightside
06-06-2018, 07:41 AM
Should be a sponsor stand. No point using naming rights and not making money from it.

worcesterhibby
06-06-2018, 08:31 AM
Should be a sponsor stand. No point using naming rights and not making money from it.

I agree, sell the naming rights make some money..spend it on the team.

heretoday
06-06-2018, 08:53 AM
Gotta be Farmer, without whom.....

weecounty hibby
06-06-2018, 09:00 AM

100%. The east will always be the east, the Dunbar end/south will always be that no matter what sponsors name was attached to them. I wouldn't mind ER being rebranded in a similar way to BT Murrayfield. Not changing the whole name but something like BT Easter Road stadium would be acceptable to me. The more money we can make to spend on the team the better

hibbyfraelibby
06-06-2018, 09:10 AM
I think we should rename the West Stand as the South Stand, the East as the North, the South Stand as the East Stand and the North Stand as the 4th Stand😁

snooky
06-06-2018, 09:21 AM
I don't like naming stands after companies however, if we have to for commercial reasons, I suggest we do it on a term basis - say 10 years. A bit like the top sponsorship. The only problem with that is that each generation will have a different name for the same stand.
Re. naming it after a person, as someone said we have more worthy contenders than stands. STF would be my first choice if we do go down that road.

Elephant Stone
06-06-2018, 09:27 AM
Let's change our name to Edinburgh North East. The commercial opportunities will be greater and we'll always be known as Hibs so what does it matter.

££££££££££

Hibs1969
06-06-2018, 09:29 AM
Rename the East The Pat Stanton Stand after our greatest ever player.

Forza Fred
06-06-2018, 09:33 AM
Rename the East The Pat Stanton Stand after our greatest ever player.

I’ve always planned if I won the lottery to pay Hibs to call it the Stanton/o’Rourke Stand...cannae split them.

barcahibs
06-06-2018, 09:35 AM
If we're going to rename a stand it should be for contributions to the Club. I'd hope Sir Tom gets one. I don't know what you'd call it, but one 'themed' around the cup winning teams/captains would be nice? Give it some personality inside with photos and memorabilia.

I don't think it should really be a priority though, save it til one of the stands needs to be refreshed anyway.

Itsnoteasy
06-06-2018, 09:44 AM

Why do we need to start naming every part of the stadium.
Is it because everyone else is doing it these days.

Hibs1969
06-06-2018, 09:59 AM
Why do we need to start naming every part of the stadium.
Is it because everyone else is doing it these days.
We don’t have to but it’s a nice touch to pay homage to the greats of our past.

Elephant Stone
06-06-2018, 10:19 AM
I would be 100% behind renaming the stands with something meaningful, Tom Farmer would be top of that list for me. As for company names, firmly opposed.

Oscar T Grouch
06-06-2018, 10:36 AM
I think the West should be called the Sir Tom Farmer stand, he and his family have done more than enough to deserve that. Apart from that I would be happy to keep the East and South as they are now. I'm not for selling the naming rights to any stand, the stands should memorialise people who have massively contributed to our team, like the Famous Five and STF.

overdrive
06-06-2018, 10:51 AM
The Stubbs Stand

My_Wife_Camille
06-06-2018, 10:55 AM
The Sir Tom Farmer Stand for the west is an absolute must. At the risk of sounding a bit morbid (which I really don't mean to do) I'd really like to see it done sooner rather than later. These things are so often left until the person isn't around to see it and that would be a huge shame imo.

WeeRussell
06-06-2018, 11:24 AM
Wouldnt be much point in naming it that,as you generally sell the name for money...which makes more sense.

And nobody is going to pay to call it that.

There seemed to be a point in naming the north stand after the Famous 5. And I'm fairly sure Turnbull and co never paid for that.

Wembley67
06-06-2018, 11:28 AM
James Connolly stand.

Mick O'Rourke
06-06-2018, 11:41 AM
If any previous player/manager is deserving of the honour of a stand in his name
I look no further than Hugh Shaw.
Hibernian's most succesful manager.
3 league titles and two second places in a 6yr period.
He also played for the club,appearing in 2 SC Finals.
I am also in the camp of Michael Whelehan and Canon Hannan.

The Dunbar End could be renamed The St Patrick Stand,recognising of course our beginnings in "The Coogit".
That would look tidy printed on tickets for away supporters ,one club in particular,anyway !

HGSP

Conrad Gray
06-06-2018, 11:42 AM
I've always thought that the Main Stand would be suitable, in memory of James Main, who died as a result of injuries sustained while playing for the club in 1909.

Seveno
06-06-2018, 11:53 AM
The West should definitely be named the Sir Tom Farmer Stand and opening game of the new season would be a great time to do it.

I like an earlier suggestion that the South should be named the Sir Albert Kidd Stand.

Liberal Hibby
06-06-2018, 11:59 AM
I've always liked the idea of having a L'Equipe stand after the French newspaper who organised the first European Cup in 1955.

Keith_M
06-06-2018, 12:16 PM
Personally, I'd go for the commercial option, to raise funds for the team.

How about a sponsorship deal with

Hibernian General Insurance Ltd

:wink:

Keith_M
06-06-2018, 12:17 PM
James Connolly stand.

Aside from being a ball-boy, what was his contribution to Hibs?

Wembley67
06-06-2018, 12:20 PM
Aside from being a ball-boy, what was his contribution to Hibs?

I generally couldn't give a monkey's arse about the name of a stand, it was more in relation to the other thread.

HoboHarry
06-06-2018, 12:36 PM
Hobo Harry Stand.

Hey if Trump and David King can trample over everyone and impose their own will and everyone else can get it right roond them then I'll have some of that.......

Smartie
06-06-2018, 12:36 PM
Fred West was probably a hun. No way we should have named a stand after him.

Eyrie
06-06-2018, 04:08 PM

Hobo Harry Stand.

Hey if Trump and David King can trample over everyone and impose their own will and everyone else can get it right roond them then I'll have some of that.......

Well, if the two of you have got stands named after you, then that leaves one for Farmer and they're all named.

Until we fill in the corners.

Smartie
06-06-2018, 04:26 PM
Well, if the two of you have got stands named after you, then that leaves one for Farmer and they're all named.

Until we fill in the corners.

The Liam Henderson corners surely?

Bob Box Fish
06-06-2018, 04:28 PM
The exuberance stand ?

Eyrie
06-06-2018, 04:32 PM

:not worth

Hibs1969
06-06-2018, 04:33 PM
With a nod to the 2017/18 season:

This Particular Stand
The Concomitant Stand
The Natural Order Stand

This could run and run........

midfield_maestro
06-06-2018, 04:38 PM
With a nod to the 2017/18 season:

This Particular Stand
The Concomitant Stand
The Natural Order Stand

This could run and run........

I'd like to see Behind the Goals renamed to The Natural Order.

Mibbes Aye
06-06-2018, 04:41 PM
The fact that there are so many suggestions for names makes it clear to me we should be looking at building a fifth stand.

None of this nonsense about investing in the team, there's infrastructure to be spending on!

CropleyWasGod
06-06-2018, 05:43 PM
Fred West was probably a hun. No way we should have named a stand after him.Paul Heaton is a fan.

So we could have the Beautiful South Stand.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Hibrandenburg
06-06-2018, 05:47 PM
Standy McStandface gets my vote.

Mibbes Aye
06-06-2018, 06:21 PM
Paul Heaton is a fan.

So we could have the Beautiful South Stand.

As was the Victorian novelist Elizabeth Gaskell.

So we could have the North and South Stand.

SouthMoroccoStu
06-06-2018, 06:55 PM
James Connolly stand for the away... enjoy that the rangers

All for Pat Stanton but worth considering Turnbulls Tornados as a unit?

Or Lawrie Reilly on his own

Jones28
06-06-2018, 07:05 PM
The Sir Tom Farmer Stand for the west is an absolute must. At the risk of sounding a bit morbid (which I really don't mean to do) I'd really like to see it done sooner rather than later. These things are so often left until the person isn't around to see it and that would be a huge shame imo.

Absolutely

WhileTheChief..
06-06-2018, 07:13 PM
We shouldn’t name a stand after a player or any one individual, it sounds tacky.

Leave them as is or cash in to the highest bidder.

CMurdoch
06-06-2018, 07:44 PM

I totally agree.
Do it now whilst the man is alive and can see how thankful we are to him.

IanM
06-06-2018, 08:05 PM
Always thought the south should be called the tortolano towers

CropleyWasGod
06-06-2018, 08:10 PM
As was the Victorian novelist Elizabeth Gaskell.

So we could have the North and South Stand.Then there's the Kim and Kanye West

weecounty hibby
06-06-2018, 08:30 PM
Then there's the Kim and Kanye West

What if we get their son to sponsor one of the stands, but which stand? North or west?

Michael
06-06-2018, 08:40 PM
What if we get their son to sponsor one of the stands, but which stand? North or west?

Fill in the corner. Let the £££s roll in.

-Jonesy-
06-06-2018, 08:47 PM
The 92nd minute display of over exuberance stand

Mibbes Aye
06-06-2018, 09:05 PM

Another well-known Hibs fan was the Hollywood great, Cary Grant.

I for one hope that the corners do get filled in.

Then we could have the North by Northwest Stand.

Keith_M
06-06-2018, 09:08 PM

Then we could have the North by Northwest Stand.

Sadly there's nae room on that corner.

Could have the 'East is East stand', though.

CropleyWasGod
06-06-2018, 09:09 PM

Then we could have the North by Northwest Stand.Right then.

Roald Amundsen. He was a Hibby.

So... in your fabled stand, the walkway could be named after his greatest discovery.

The North West Passage.

Hibs1969
07-06-2018, 06:18 AM
Before he came to a sudden and untimely end James Dean was a ST holder so in tribute we could have the East of Eden stand.

WeeRussell
07-06-2018, 07:58 AM
We shouldn’t name a stand after a player or any one individual, it sounds tacky.

Leave them as is or cash in to the highest bidder.

Surely can’t be concerned about it sounding tacky but happy for it to end up as ‘the sports direct stand’ or ‘wonga stand’ for example?!

gogsy23
07-06-2018, 08:04 AM
'The persevere'

WhileTheChief..
07-06-2018, 08:10 AM
Surely can’t be concerned about it sounding tacky but happy for it to end up as ‘the sports direct stand’ or ‘wonga stand’ for example?!

Well yeah! If we’re goona drop our drawers we may as well get as as much dough as possible for doing so!

Preference would be to leave things as they are. We’re not so skint or living on the bread line as everyone on here suggests.

Captain Trips
07-06-2018, 09:17 AM
The Petriedome.

CropleyWasGod
07-06-2018, 09:19 AM
The Petriedome.

The Petrie Dish, Shirley.

WeeRussell
07-06-2018, 09:30 AM
The Petrie Dish, Shirley.

Petrie's 2 tiers.

One Day Soon
07-06-2018, 09:48 AM

That's very, very good.

Seriously though, I would absolutely love for the club to make one of the corners into The Liam Henderson Corner. I don't necessarily mean filling in the corner, I just mean pick one corner and call it that. Maybe the one where the TV people go for live matches.

It's just too good not to.

One Day Soon
07-06-2018, 09:49 AM

**** me that's a clever one too!

One Day Soon
07-06-2018, 09:57 AM
How about we make three of the stands standing only? Then the fourth one could be the Sitting Stand.

gorgie greens
07-06-2018, 10:38 AM

Agree as every penny counts,
On a side note love your photo I remember that sunny day well in Cheltenham

Carheenlea
07-06-2018, 11:23 AM
Because we named the Famous Five Stand after a group of players rather than one individual, it is unique, and I quite like the fact we have something a bit different. It’s very Hibs in that respect. I don’t think there will be much rush to rename the three other stands, and quite rightly so in my opinion. Just because others doing so doesn’t mean we have to follow and do the same.

07-06-2018, 09:27 PM
That's very, very good.

Seriously though, I would absolutely love for the club to make one of the corners into The Liam Henderson Corner. I don't necessarily mean filling in the corner, I just mean pick one corner and call it that. Maybe the one where the TV people go for live matches.

It's just too good not to.

Could only be the one between the East and the FF. Has to be from the same side as Hendo's corners and have us behind the corner taker and behind the goals. Plus shooting that way in the 2nd half.

Mibbes Aye
07-06-2018, 09:32 PM
Could only be the one between the East and the FF. Has to be from the same side as Hendo's corners and have us behind the corner taker and behind the goals. Plus shooting that way in the 2nd half.

In fairness, you've given that the proper amount of thought.

Well played :agree:

Colr
07-06-2018, 09:38 PM

Bob

07-06-2018, 10:10 PM
In fairness, you've given that the proper amount of thought.

Well played :agree:

You have to, just like all the important things in life. :cb

A Hi-Bee
08-06-2018, 09:13 PM
Stand & Deliver or just Deliverance.

Nevi_SOL
08-06-2018, 09:18 PM
Pat Stanton stand

Stuart93
08-06-2018, 09:33 PM
Pat Stanton stand

Pat standton