PDA

View Full Version : Memories of a random game welcomed

seanshow
05-06-2018, 11:50 PM
I've picked a couple of games from my teenage Hibs supporting days, late 80s/90s, and wonder if anyone can remember more details and put dates to them.

Firstly a rare away win in the land of the sheep, when Joe Torotolano broke away from the half way line and slid the ball past Jim Leighton, possibly a Wednesday night, when we use to get the beach end behind the goals at Pittodrie.

Secondly a home cup defeat to the pars when I believe they were in the third tier of Scottish football.
We are losing 1 nil deep into the second half and pushing down the slope, when on the break a long ball is played over our defense and its a straight foot race up the slope between 2 players Ross Jack? and perhaps Gordon Rae?
As the ball comes over their shoulder the pars player hits a peach of a half volley into the postage stamp corner from 25 yards past Two Andy Gorams, and we lose the game 2 nil.

.....Lets see how my memory stands up

Wheat Hound
05-06-2018, 11:56 PM
I've picked a couple of games from my teenage Hibs supporting days, late 80s/90s, and wonder if anyone can remember more details and put dates to them.

Firstly a rare away win in the land of the sheep, when Joe Torotolano broke away from the half way line and slid the ball past Jim Leighton, possibly a Wednesday night, when we use to get the beach end behind the goals at Pittodrie.

Secondly a home cup defeat to the pars when I believe they were in the third tier of Scottish football.
We are losing 1 nil deep into the second half and pushing down the slope, when on the break a long ball is played over our defense and its a straight foot race up the slope between 2 players Ross Jack? and perhaps Gordon Rae?
As the ball comes over their shoulder the pars player hits a peach of a half volley into the postage stamp corner from 25 yards past Two Andy Gorams, and we lose the game 2 nil.

.....Lets see how my memory stands up

I was at thst second game v the pars. Think we lost 3-1 after extra time. League cup 1988?

Cardinal Hibernian
06-06-2018, 05:58 AM

.....Lets see how my memory stands upThe first game you mention was indeed a Wednesday night game at Pittodrie and was the 2nd last game of the 1987/88 season. Hibernian won 2 v 0 (?) and Leighton moved to Manchester United a few days later.

I think then on the Saturday Goram scored with a punt out at home to Morton (or was that the final game of season 1988/89?).

The second game was indeed a mid week cup quarter final league cup game home to Dunfermline Athletic in late August 1989. The Pars led 1 v 0 for most of the match with John Collins netting a late equaliser before the Pars scored two decent goals to win 3 v 1 after extra time. As usual Alex Miller got pelters for that.

However, in the next league game we then won at home against the now defunct Rangers 2 v 0 which had been our biggest margin of victory against them in years.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Hibee87
06-06-2018, 06:43 AM
I remember playeying killi mid to late 90's and the snow being so bad you couldnt see the away goal from the famous 5. Game never got called off and we only knew killi scored by the noise.

Im sure this happened, but ive said to a few folk who have no knowledge. A game, again in the mid 90's, against hearts and they got a player sent off to which a hibs fan jumped on the pitch and placed a bouquet of flowers at the players feet.

Pretty Boy
06-06-2018, 06:56 AM
I remember playeying killi mid to late 90's and the snow being so bad you couldnt see the away goal from the famous 5. Game never got called off and we only knew killi scored by the noise.

Im sure this happened, but ive said to a few folk who have no knowledge. A game, again in the mid 90's, against hearts and they got a player sent off to which a hibs fan jumped on the pitch and placed a bouquet of flowers at the players feet.

Remember the Killie game. Sure it was a Scottish Cup tie, we lost 2-0 and Jim Leighton had a bit of a mare.

Also remember the flower game. I think we may have lost 3-1, 3-0 down before HT. Could have been a totally different game though. Derbies from that time all sort of merge into one for me. Sure it was something to do with a boy from the CCS passing away but I could be wrong with that.

Michael
06-06-2018, 07:28 AM
Don't know why, but I've had a memory of Scotland playing Brazil in a friendly in the early 00s. Game never happened - no record of it. Memories can't be trusted.

Was 5-0 to Brazil by the way.

BILLYHIBS
06-06-2018, 07:29 AM
Cannot help the OP as was at neither of the games he recollects though was a big fan of Joe Joe Super Joe Super Tortolano. Although he was much maligned I thought he was a superb player and the perfect fit for our club.

The Kilmarnock game referred to might be a Scottish Cup tie where Paul Wright came back to haunt us I am sure it was one of Blobby Williamson’s first games played in sleet and snaw.

My recollections of Derby’s are all starting to mix together apart from 0-7 but as another poster points out the passing of one of the CCS boys rings a bell.

scm70nyd1973
06-06-2018, 09:26 AM
I was at thst second game v the pars. Think we lost 3-1 after extra time. League cup 1988?

Did we not play in white tops that night and was it not just a day or two after Paul Kane had signed a new contract (and played pretty poorly that night)?

Eyrie
06-06-2018, 04:00 PM

I'm another that remembers the Kilmarnock game. Had snow lying on the front of my coat as I walked along Albert Street before the game, and constant flurries of snow in my face during the game whilst sat in the old North stand (row H).