PDA

View Full Version : Aston Villa woes

Billy Whizz
05-06-2018, 04:25 PM
Didn’t realise they were in such a mess
I remember Wyness, used to be at Aberdeen
Looks like that’s one place McGinn won’t be going

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-breaking-news-wyness-14747893

Since90+2
05-06-2018, 04:27 PM
Didn’t realise they were in such a mess
I remember Wyness, used to be at Aberdeen
Looks like that’s one place McGinn won’t be going

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-breaking-news-wyness-14747893

Absolutely massive club as well. Biggest supported team in a huge city with a decent history. Their fall from grace does show how difficult the English leagues are.

Viva_Palmeiras
05-06-2018, 04:31 PM
It’s just as well the football authorities are there to ensure that the clubs are protected against charlatans and chasing the big leagues - to help ensure the sustainability of the game.

Thecat23
05-06-2018, 04:32 PM
Saying it’ll be paid in 48 hours and they aren’t in any danger. But then again where have we all heard that before.

As others have said massive club with a huge fan base, crazy to think they are even close to shutting down.

Billy Whizz
05-06-2018, 04:35 PM
Sky news saying it’s a multi million £ tax bill, wonder what it’s for

Viva_Palmeiras
05-06-2018, 04:37 PM
Where does the money go?

Ozyhibby
05-06-2018, 04:39 PM
No sympathy. Gambling to try get promotion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Billy Whizz
05-06-2018, 04:39 PM
Where does the money go?

Seemingly gambled on promotion

Since90+2
05-06-2018, 04:40 PM

Dont think that's necessarily a bad thing to be honest. Think the damage may have been done prior to last season.

CropleyWasGod
05-06-2018, 04:41 PM
Sky news saying it’s a multi million £ tax bill, wonder what it’s for

Sky are also saying that it was for a "missed payment" "last Friday".

HMRC don't normally move that fast if companies miss PAYE payment dates. My guess is that they and Villa had a payment plan agreed for past debts, and Villa agreed.

It won't be for Corporation Tax, as Villa don't make money. More likely to be for historic VAT & PAYE.

Sell Grealish, though, and they'll be fine.

Michael
05-06-2018, 04:42 PM
Hope they survive, but only just.

Billy Whizz
05-06-2018, 04:43 PM
Dont think that's necessarily a bad thing to be honest. Think the damage may have been done prior to last season.
How much were they paying Terry in the championship?
They think are also in danger of breaking FFP rules as well

Billy Whizz
05-06-2018, 04:44 PM

HMRC don't normally move that fast if companies miss PAYE payment dates. My guess is that they and Villa had a payment plan agreed for past debts, and Villa agreed.

It won't be for Corporation Tax, as Villa don't make money. More likely to be for historic VAT & PAYE.

Cheers, will have to move quick though to sell him?

The Modfather
05-06-2018, 04:45 PM

Is it much different to what we did to get out of the championship?

CropleyWasGod
05-06-2018, 04:47 PM

Indeed. They made a loss of £29m the year they went down.

"Only" £7m last season (16/17), which would have had a parachute payment included.

Michael
05-06-2018, 05:03 PM

We didn't miss a tax bill after 1 year in the Championship.

Ozyhibby
05-06-2018, 05:41 PM

It is very different. We haven’t missed any tax bills or had to enter into any payment plans with HMRC.
Our losses over the three years we were down were probably less than £1m. There was no gambling there at all.

The Modfather
05-06-2018, 06:19 PM
It is very different. We haven’t missed any tax bills or had to enter into any payment plans with HMRC.
Our losses over the three years we were down were probably less than £1m. There was no gambling there at all.

Not sure I agree that we didn’t make a calculated gamble to get back up, ours worked, Villa’s appears not to have. Not looking to argue for the sake of it though as we’re just arguing the semantics.

Wonder if Villa will end up the new Leeds.

tamig
05-06-2018, 06:43 PM

Its all to do with scale and the environment you’re operating in. We maintained more or less a Premier budget when we were there and the crowds pre cup win were poor.

Iain G
05-06-2018, 06:45 PM
Its all to do with scale and the environment you’re operating in. We maintained more or less a Premier budget when we were there and the crowds pre cup win were poor.

And we weren't paying John Terry's huge wages!

Kinda feel like many years of mismanagement and desperation are catching up with them.

nellio
05-06-2018, 08:18 PM
Amazed they aren't getting done for financial fair play. Apparently Terry was on 60k a week! Snodgrass on decent wedge as well as a few others.

erin go bragh
05-06-2018, 08:24 PM
How much were they paying Terry in the championship?
They think are also in danger of breaking FFP rules as well
Was reported in the papers saying 80k a week .

05-06-2018, 08:25 PM
Anything associated with John Terry deserves nothing but the worst of luck.

WoreTheGreen
05-06-2018, 08:32 PM
Anything associated with John Terry deserves nothing but the worst of luck.

Correct total fk wit

Ozyhibby
05-06-2018, 08:35 PM
They will likely go into admin next week. Shame. Cheating ********.

Billy Whizz
05-06-2018, 08:42 PM
They will likely go into admin next week. Shame. Cheating ********.

Are you sure admin is on the cards, but a £4.2m tax bill is not to be scoffed at that. Seemingly the owner is wealthy, but can’t get his money out of China

What’s the penalty in England for admin

Ozyhibby
05-06-2018, 08:44 PM
Are you sure admin is on the cards, but a £4.2m tax bill is not to be scoffed at that. Seemingly the owner is wealthy, but can’t get his money out of China

What’s the penalty in England for admin

The £4.2m is likely the tip of the iceberg. I’m not sure how they deal with admin in England.

weecounty hibby
05-06-2018, 08:51 PM
Hope they get through this. Fond memories of watching them win the European Cup. Also had that EC winning strip - total glory hunter! Yes they had John Terry, but they also had Des Bremner!!

HoboHarry
05-06-2018, 08:53 PM
The £4.2m is likely the tip of the iceberg. I’m not sure how they deal with admin in England.

Won't matter here - our authorities will be, ahem, looking the other way.......

Is It On....
05-06-2018, 08:59 PM

And get rid of Bruce and Terry...

Geo_1875
06-06-2018, 09:17 AM

I don't think they do deal with it in England. Didn't Portsmouth go bust a few times around their FA Cup win?

Billy Whizz
06-06-2018, 02:14 PM
Got quite a few other issues over the next few weeks as well
12 point penalty deduction if they were to go into admin.
Seems a real mess

http://www.skysports.com/share/11396171

Iggy Pope
06-06-2018, 02:43 PM
Surely the Villa-mad Duke of Cambridge will step in? Arf!

Smartie
06-06-2018, 02:53 PM
When you scratch the surface of teams like this in trouble, you normally find some absolutely eye-watering wastes of money in there.

I wonder how much they have paid agents over the past few years?

I wonder how much they paid in total for Charles N'Zogbia, and how much football they got out of him?

Sunderland have a few - £10m for a player whose transfer didn't go through and became a free agent, £70k per week for Jack Rodwell to make 2 league appearances in the Championship last season.

Badly-run clubs who are run by idiots are sitting ducks for shysters, and there are a lot in England.

Billy Whizz
06-06-2018, 02:58 PM
When you scratch the surface of teams like this in trouble, you normally find some absolutely eye-watering wastes of money in there.

I wonder how much they have paid agents over the past few years?

I wonder how much they paid in total for Charles N'Zogbia, and how much football they got out of him?

Sunderland have a few - £10m for a player whose transfer didn't go through and became a free agent, £70k per week for Jack Rodwell to make 2 league appearances in the Championship last season.

Badly-run clubs who are run by idiots are sitting ducks for shysters, and there are a lot in England.

And all propped up by Sky/BT tv money

WoreTheGreen
06-06-2018, 03:02 PM

And pig s...... dave

Ozyhibby
06-06-2018, 03:37 PM
Aston Villa are losing £6m per month. The have less than a week to find £4.7m for the tax man and then two weeks to find another £8m.
Anyone taking over will need to find £70m just to keep the lights on for another year.
They will be lucky to start next season.

RoslinInstHibby
06-06-2018, 04:01 PM
Aston Villa are losing £6m per month. The have less than a week to find £4.7m for the tax man and then two weeks to find another £8m.
Anyone taking over will need to find £70m just to keep the lights on for another year.
They will be lucky to start next season.

:agree:badly needed to go up this season, they will sell Grealish which will keep them going for a bit

nonshinyfinish
06-06-2018, 05:04 PM
Saw an article pointing out their club motto is 'Prepared'.

As with Rangers 2012 and the motto 'Aye Ready', you'd think these clubs would see the admin-inducing tax hits coming.

brianmc
06-06-2018, 08:16 PM
Saw an article pointing out their club motto is 'Prepared'.

As with Rangers 2012 and the motto 'Aye Ready', you'd think these clubs would see the admin-inducing tax hits coming.

Strangely enough I only know one Villa fan, born and raised in the Midlands - yet his second team are rangers and his posting of horrible, sectarian guff on social media would make you think he came from Larkhall!
Hope they go bust.

jacomo
06-06-2018, 09:21 PM

He could have gone to Russia this summer and sold a knighthood and passport to some oligarch in return for investment, but that particular wheeze is off the table at the moment.

Souter96Mac
06-06-2018, 09:23 PM
Seen they are accepting any bid for any players.. Anyone we could go for?

tamig
06-06-2018, 09:40 PM
Strangely enough I only know one Villa fan, born and raised in the Midlands - yet his second team are rangers and his posting of horrible, sectarian guff on social media would make you think he came from Larkhall!
Hope they go bust.

You hope they go bust because one of their fans is an erse?

jacomo
06-06-2018, 10:24 PM
You hope they go bust because one of their fans is an erse?

Football will do that to you.

Conversely, I’ve always disliked West Ham, but know a few fans who are good people, so I will feign some concern when they have a **** season.