PDA

View Full Version : St Mirren Manager

Billy Whizz
05-06-2018, 03:54 PM
Taking their time in getting a new manager. Seemed to have a list as long as your arm
Potential managers mentioned include, Kluivert, Guti, Benin McCarthy, McCoist, McIntyre amongst others
Money spinning report, Robbie has said he’s not interested in it. I believe he had a connversation with St Mirren, and they said they wanted top 4, or at worse, top 6. Think Robbie’s told them that’s unachievable!

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/irish-league/these-are-the-qualities-that-would-help-oran-kearney-succeed-at-st-mirren-reveals-aaron-burns-36977584.html

Must admit I haven’t heard of this guy. If he’s gets appointed, almost 34% of the Premiership Managers will be from N.Ireland

greenlex
05-06-2018, 05:35 PM
Stubbsy in the frame and apparently spoken to.

angus hibby
05-06-2018, 09:45 PM
If reports are true, they have spoken to Guti.
The same Guti was 3rd favourite at 5/1 to be the next Real Madrid manager!!

Can’t get my head round the fact that a guy at relatively short odds to be Madrid manager is being interviewed for the St Mirren job at same time!

Heisenberg
07-06-2018, 03:19 PM
Looking like Stubbs is going to get the job.

Bishop Hibee
07-06-2018, 03:25 PM
Tough gig for Stubbs if he gets it. If they stay up next season it will be a success for them. If Stubbs takes them close to or into the top 6 then going to the Buddies will have relaunched his career. Go straight back down and he’ll struggle to get a job elsewhere. Hopefully he’ll be successful except when playing us of course.

The_Horde
07-06-2018, 03:26 PM
Don't do it Stubbsy. Wait for Lenny to go. Please!

guthrie01
07-06-2018, 03:38 PM
Called it, wish I had put money on it now :rolleyes:

JDHibs
07-06-2018, 03:44 PM
Good opportunity for him.

St Mirren will be able to challenge the likes of Livingston, Hamilton & St Johnstone budget wise, qith a half decent squad and few good additions St Mirren will be fine.

He was never going to walk into a good job after the way it went at Rotherham, needs to build his reputation back up.

MWHIBBIES
07-06-2018, 03:45 PM
Tough gig for Stubbs if he gets it. If they stay up next season it will be a success for them. If Stubbs takes them close to or into the top 6 then going to the Buddies will have relaunched his career. Go straight back down and he’ll struggle to get a job elsewhere. Hopefully he’ll be successful except when playing us of course.
Finish above Livi and don't lose playoffs? That wouldn't really be success,should be easy.

PatHead
07-06-2018, 03:58 PM
If we sell SJM he will have some money to spend from their share.

Hibdan12
07-06-2018, 03:58 PM
Also led to believe that it's stubbsy

B.H.F.C
07-06-2018, 04:02 PM
Even though it’s St Mirren, who I have no real dislike for, I’d rather just not have to play against Stubbs. Will be odd.

The Harp
07-06-2018, 04:07 PM
Stepping stone to reclaim the ER hot seat should Lennie move on?

Beefster
07-06-2018, 04:08 PM
Stepping stone to reclaim the ER hot seat should Lennie move on?

Let’s see how he gets on first.

Northernhibee
07-06-2018, 04:09 PM
Really hope he does well. Legend and an absolute gentleman to boot.

007 Mickey Weir
07-06-2018, 04:15 PM
Really hope he does well. Legend and an absolute gentleman to boot.

Totally!!!

Billy Whizz
07-06-2018, 04:21 PM
Finish above Livi and don't lose playoffs? That wouldn't really be success,should be easy.

St Mirren want top 6 min, that’s why Robbie walked away from the money spinning gig

pacorosssco
07-06-2018, 04:22 PM
He's needing a route back but basket case board. If Robbie the jobbie walked away then I suggest stokes should have too.Wish him nothing but luck apart from against us

Billy Whizz
07-06-2018, 04:25 PM
Wonder if Doolan is joining him

BILLYHIBS
07-06-2018, 04:26 PM
This all idle gossip chit chat and heresay. What The Cat 23 got to say about all this? He da man in the know. If I hear it from him then I know it’s true.

:not worth

tamig
07-06-2018, 04:30 PM
He's needing a route back but basket case board. If Robbie the jobbie walked away then I suggest stokes should have too.Wish him nothing but luck apart from against us

Why do you think St Mirren have a basket case board? There’s been a regime change there in the past few years.

CB_NO3
07-06-2018, 04:34 PM
Don't do it Stubbsy. Wait for Lenny to go. Please!

Where is Lenny going?

hibbyfraelibby
07-06-2018, 04:38 PM
Good luck to Stubbsie. St. Mirren will finish below us but probably above the Rust Bucket Arenaists.

Hibbyradge
07-06-2018, 04:42 PM
Where is Lenny going?

He's won the contract for the new Edinburgh to Donegal Regional Airport route and he starts accepting bookings from late September. :agree: 🛫

http://www.animatedimages.org/data/media/71/animated-aeroplane-image-0014.gif

DJ HIBBY
07-06-2018, 04:43 PM
This all idle gossip chit chat and heresay. What The Cat 23 got to say about all this? He da man in the know. If I hear it from him then I know it’s true.

I heard from a good source last night that Stubbs was the best of interviews and hot favourite. I believe Neilson pulled out when he found out budget

RoxburghHibs
07-06-2018, 04:45 PM

Stokes? Has he also been linked with them? Must have missed that!

blackpoolhibs
07-06-2018, 04:46 PM
Stubbs has lowered his sights job wise, he told one of this sites regulars when playing golf with him, that it was only Hibs or the dons who would tempt him back up the road to manage again in Scotland.

Lmc2105
07-06-2018, 05:06 PM
The day after Jack Ross left St Mirren Alan Stubbs was 35/1 to get the job who would be daft enough to put something on that ..

Renfrew_Hibby
07-06-2018, 05:07 PM
Great to have someone Hibs minded in the league. So many Jamboid type bosses and coaches and they always target us for some extra treatment. Hopefully Stubbs takes his new side to Tynie and turns them over.

Pretty Boy
07-06-2018, 05:18 PM
Good luck to him. A bona fide indisputable legend.

Keith_M
07-06-2018, 05:26 PM
According to the BBC, they've offered the job to Stubbs.

BILLYHIBS
07-06-2018, 05:29 PM
I heard from a good source last night that Stubbs was the best of interviews and hot favourite. I believe Neilson pulled out when he found out budget
Yip Stubbsy been offered S**** Mirren job according to BBC Sport website. Just waiting on him to clear it with his Mrs first and get back to them. You da new man!

pacorosssco
07-06-2018, 05:33 PM
Stokes? Has he also been linked with them? Must have missed that!
Predictive. Stubbs meant

Northernhibee
07-06-2018, 05:38 PM
Will be if we sell McGinn.
Wonder if he’ll be after any of our players like Barts

Fonts from Ross County?

The_Horde
07-06-2018, 05:42 PM
Will be if we sell McGinn.
Wonder if he’ll be after any of our players like Barts

Barts doesn't seem a happy man at the moment. Would not surprise me at all.

Hopefully he'll sign Carmichael, Jake Sinclair and Dje Dje is good man too :greengrin

CRAZYHIBBY
07-06-2018, 06:37 PM
Good move for our next manager to build up some more experience

IGRIGI
07-06-2018, 07:09 PM
If I read one more post from a grown man about Stubbs that reeks of a teenage girl who can't get over an ex boyfriend I swear I'll do time.

He had us finish behind Falkirk, 3rd in the Championship, away tae **** with the idea of that as our next manager.

percy veer
07-06-2018, 07:14 PM

Hopefully he'll sign Carmichael, Jake Sinclair and Dje Dje is good man too :greengrin

based on what

guthrie01
07-06-2018, 07:21 PM
Setting up for a glorious return once Lennon eventually leaves us, quite fancy another Scottish Cup win

CockneyRebel
07-06-2018, 07:25 PM
based on what

He wasn't happy when Lenny had a go at the players after the defeat at Tynecastle (calling them unprofessional etc.) and said so in the press. I would expect a fall out because of that but whether it is still an issue - who knows?

DavidDavidGray
07-06-2018, 07:26 PM
If I read one more post from a grown man about Stubbs that reeks of a teenage girl who can't get over an ex boyfriend I swear I'll do time.

He had us finish behind Falkirk, 3rd in the Championship, away tae **** with the idea of that as our next manager.

Hahaha

weecounty hibby
07-06-2018, 07:29 PM
Setting up for a glorious return once Lennon eventually leaves us, quite fancy another Scottish Cup win
I really hope that doesn't happen. Hope Neil is here for a long long time and when he does leave I don't think Stubbs should be the next one in the door. I honestly don't think he will be that good at St Mirren, based on nothing other than a hunch. Time will tell

CockneyRebel
07-06-2018, 07:30 PM

Not for me thanks - legendary achievement with the cup win and can spot a player but he has had his day (and remember he did leave us) and if he had stayed there is a chance we could still be in the Championship.

The_Horde
07-06-2018, 07:33 PM
based on what

His last interview and a tweet he done recently but also heard from my usual source that he's not entirely happy with Lennon.

matty_f
07-06-2018, 07:35 PM

Scottish Cup.

Man is a legend. 2 cup finals in one season as well.

Imagine not having a kind word to say about the man that broke the hoodoo!!

Haters gonna hate though.

guthrie01
07-06-2018, 07:37 PM
Not for me thanks - legendary achievement with the cup win and can spot a player but he has had his day (and remember he did leave us) and if he had stayed there is a chance we could still be in the Championship.

My post was mostly tounge in cheek for the poster who “swear I will do time if someone posts about Stubbs coming back”. I think it’s reasonable to suggest he could one day make a return based on the great players he brought in and of course the Cup win which no manager had done before in 114 years.

And your point about still being in the Championship is really hard to believe, Lennon got us promoted with only a couple of points different to Stubbs attempts before and was a much easier league.

Hibby70
07-06-2018, 07:54 PM

Maybe we are all teenage girls on here and you're the only grown man.

Ya creep :)

CMurdoch
07-06-2018, 07:58 PM
Fonts from Ross County?

good call

james62
07-06-2018, 08:01 PM
I find it quite amusing that a team the Yams already hate are about to appoint as manager the man who broke the Hibs Scottish Cup hoodoo :greengrin

jacomo
07-06-2018, 08:03 PM

Some people like to speak fondly of our Cup winning manager.

Get over yourself.

CallumLaidlaw
07-06-2018, 08:06 PM

You’ll do time?? [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thecat23
07-06-2018, 08:12 PM

I’d let Stubbs pump my missus, there I said it!!

Mans a LEGEND!

Northernhibee
07-06-2018, 08:12 PM

He won us the Scottish Cup.

Name me one other Hibs manager in the last 115 years who has done the same.

Away tae **** with the people who refuse to acknowledge why people see him as a club legend.

A Hibs fan calling a Scottish Cup winning manager "that". ****ing reeks.

IGRIGI
07-06-2018, 08:13 PM
Some people like to speak fondly of our Cup winning manager.

Get over yourself.

Maybe we are all teenage girls on here and you're the only grown man.

Ya creep :)

Scottish Cup.

Man is a legend. 2 cup finals in one season as well.

Imagine not having a kind word to say about the man that broke the hoodoo!!

Haters gonna hate though.

You’ll do time?? [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He won us the Scottish Cup.

Name me one other Hibs manager in the last 115 years who has done the same.

Away tae **** with the people who refuse to acknowledge why people see him as a club legend.

A Hibs fan calling a Scottish Cup winning manager "that". ****ing reeks.

https://media1.tenor.com/images/43a4ceaf69090a4cf5085aca1a09df4c/tenor.gif?itemid=7189438

07-06-2018, 08:14 PM
I find it quite amusing that a team the Yams already hate are about to appoint as manager the man who broke the Hibs Scottish Cup hoodoo :greengrin

That's a good point. Cue the St Liedown accusations if we beat them. When they then take points off Hearts it'll be "How come they try harder when they play us?"

Pretty Boy
07-06-2018, 08:16 PM
https://media1.tenor.com/images/43a4ceaf69090a4cf5085aca1a09df4c/tenor.gif?itemid=7189438

You really are determined that your current guise won’t last much longer than the last couple you think we don’t know about eh?

07-06-2018, 08:17 PM

Mans a LEGEND!

Inflatable Ingrid?

matty_f
07-06-2018, 08:19 PM

Wow you got us there.

Hibs90
07-06-2018, 08:22 PM
His last interview and a tweet he done recently but also heard from my usual source that he's not entirely happy with Lennon.

Funny as I heard he was.

Pretty Boy
07-06-2018, 08:23 PM

Mans a LEGEND!

I’d make him breakfast and ask if he fancied another shot before he left as well.:greengrin

The man helped give me the best moment of my football supporting life and one of the top 2 of my entire life. In 30 years time I probably won’t even remember how many years we spent in the Championship or that we once lost away to Alloa but I’ll sure as **** remember THAT weekend.

Northernhibee
07-06-2018, 08:23 PM
Inflatable Ingrid?

I'd let her down gently.

truehibernian
07-06-2018, 08:25 PM

Probably because he isn't playing as often as he'd like but to be fair to Lennon, Stubbs used Marvin the same way and he was never a guaranteed starter under AS. What Bartley brings is a real unity to the dressing room which is invaluable. Which is a huge reason I hope he stays and fights for a place in the side. A squad needs players like Bartley :aok:

Lago
07-06-2018, 08:40 PM
According to the BBC, they've offered the job to Stubbs.
And he's accepted .

Swedish hibee
07-06-2018, 09:02 PM

And won us the cup that no other manager ever did. And signed the goalie that got us to that final. And signed the player that scored that winning goal. The man is the legend.

Good luck Stubbsy. Love that man!

nonshinyfinish
07-06-2018, 09:10 PM
Legend.

Cabbage East
07-06-2018, 09:38 PM

Internet geeks are an odd breed. Go outside. Speak to people.

calumhibee1
07-06-2018, 09:42 PM
I love you Alan Stubbs.

pacoluna
07-06-2018, 09:44 PM
Think Stubbs will be found out this season if appointed.
My money is on st mirren to go down, same scenario as with rotherham who aren't quite as poor a club as people where making out going by this season.

Thecat23
07-06-2018, 09:46 PM
Inflatable Ingrid?

This thread is going to blow up any min!!!

guthrie01
07-06-2018, 09:48 PM
Think Stubbs will be found out this season if appointed.

Some posters would love for him to fail, don’t understand it myself. He is a legend along with every other player/staff/fan who played a part in a historic day for this club.

Hope he finishes 2nd... right behind us of course :wink:

Thecat23
07-06-2018, 09:49 PM
I’d make him breakfast and ask if he fancied another shot before he left as well.:greengrin

The man helped give me the best moment of my football supporting life and one of the top 2 of my entire life. In 30 years time I probably won’t even remember how many years we spent in the Championship or that we once lost away to Alloa but I’ll sure as **** remember THAT weekend.

Bang on PB, he will be remembered for giving all us Hibs fans the best day of our lives football wise. We won’t ever feel like that again even if we win it again and for that simple reason he’ll always be a legend. Can’t praise the man enough.

pacoluna
07-06-2018, 09:50 PM
Some posters would love for him to fail, don’t understand it myself. He is a legend along with every other player/staff/fan who played a part in a historic day for this club.

No the simple truth is I don't think he is a particularly good manager.

guthrie01
07-06-2018, 09:56 PM

Well that’s your opinion, but 2 cup finals whilst winning 1 in a season and a 58% win rate I would say makes him a good manager.

Plus it was his first season as a manger, of course at Rotherham he performed poorly but even Lennon struggled down south with Bolton

weecounty hibby
07-06-2018, 09:56 PM

I don't think there is anyone who would "love to see him fail". He is indeed a Hibernian legend who was instrumental in the best day of my life. I don't have the burning desire to see him back at ER as manager that some have and I also think he will struggle with St Mirren next year

Thecat23
07-06-2018, 10:00 PM

Let’s break it down. He built the foundations of what we have now. He had 8 players on the books when he took over.

He then guided us to two cup finals, and we dominated the one we lost. We racked up many games that seen us lose key players at a vital part of the season along with players who looked physically drained.

It’s easy to say “oh but we finished behind Falkirk” but I think it’s safe to say if we didn’t play so many games and be unlucky with injuries and suspensions Hibs would have been a lot closer.

So as a manager Whos in his first major job he done the impossible while rebuilding us and along with Dempster brought the fans together and most weeks his football was a joy to watch.

pacoluna
07-06-2018, 10:00 PM
Well that’s your opinion, but 2 cup finals whilst winning 1 in a season and a 58% win rate I would say makes him a good manager.

Plus it was his first season as a manger, of course at Rotherham he performed poorly but even Lennon struggled down south with Bolton
The spfl might suit him better particularly with st mirren. Always struggled against teams who sat back which won't be the case with st mirren. Still think they will go straight back down with livi.

GRA
07-06-2018, 10:04 PM
Let’s break it down. He built the foundations of what we have now. He had 8 players on the books when he took over.

He then guided us to two cup finals, and we dominated the one we lost. We racked up many games that seen us lose key players at a vital part of the season along with players who looked physically drained.

It’s easy to say “oh but we finished behind Falkirk” but I think it’s safe to say if we didn’t play so many games and be unlucky with injuries and suspensions Hibs would have been a lot closer.

So as a manager Whos in his first major job he done the impossible while rebuilding us and along with Dempster brought the fans together and most weeks his football was a joy to watch.Agree 100%. It's no coincidence that the last couple of years have seen record crowds and record SPL points tally. That all stems from what he built from the ruins of 4 years ago to that glorious day in May.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

guthrie01
07-06-2018, 10:05 PM

So as a manager Whos in his first major job he done the impossible while rebuilding us and along with Dempster brought the fans together and most weeks his football was a joy to watch.

Think your post says it better than mine :aok:

Thecat23
07-06-2018, 10:06 PM
Agree 100%. It's no coincidence that the last couple of years have seen record crowds and record SPL points tally. That all stems from what he built from the ruins of 4 years ago to that glorious day in May.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Exactly, even the players who played under Stubbs have nothing but praise for what he got out the team. Guy worked wonders it’s simple as that.

pacoluna
07-06-2018, 10:10 PM

So as a manager Whos in his first major job he done the impossible while rebuilding us and along with Dempster brought the fans together and most weeks his football was a joy to watch.I refuse to believe the tired excuse, regardless of the amount of games we played this run of results was nothing more than pathetic.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180607/b7ee1e36d9238a4e9e381242e2b0dd80.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180607/79c3c15febd896984dc94dc20b45ce33.jpg

Sent from my TA-1020 using Tapatalk

Elephant Stone
07-06-2018, 10:14 PM
I refuse to believe the tired excuse, regardless of the amount of games we played this run of results was nothing more than pathetic.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180607/b7ee1e36d9238a4e9e381242e2b0dd80.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180607/79c3c15febd896984dc94dc20b45ce33.jpg

:faf:

Thecat23
07-06-2018, 10:15 PM
I refuse to believe the tired excuse, regardless of the amount of games we played this run of results was nothing more than pathetic.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180607/b7ee1e36d9238a4e9e381242e2b0dd80.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180607/79c3c15febd896984dc94dc20b45ce33.jpg

You refuse to believe it 😂 If you get a chance to speak to any of them ask about it. You are simply dismissing everything he done, you clearly have a dislike for the guy because I’ve no idea who anyone couldn’t see how well Stubbs done.

guthrie01
I refuse to believe the tired excuse, regardless of the amount of games we played this run of results was nothing more than pathetic

Its been 2 years mate... maybe speak to someone about it if it bothers you that much

Thecat23
:faf:

My reaction as well when i read that 😂😂

B.H.F.C
07-06-2018, 10:19 PM
I wouldn’t want Stubbs back. Legends coming back never ends well. Look at Stokes, we’ll probably never see him back at ER ever again and that’s sickening.

21/05/16 will live with me forever and I love the guy because he made that happen. There is truth in what others say though. We regularly lost at places like Alloa and Dumbarton under him and league form was poor in a crap division. But I choose to forget that and remember the legend. I don’t ever want that legend to be ruined.

Souter96Mac
07-06-2018, 10:19 PM
I'll be making sure I get to ER for his return. Legend.

pacoluna
07-06-2018, 10:20 PM
You refuse to believe it �� If you get a chance to speak to any of them ask about it. You are simply dismissing everything he done, you clearly have a dislike for the guy because I’ve no idea who anyone couldn’t see how well Stubbs done.

I'm dismissing nothing, I'm just looking at these kind of results and then using it as an example of why I don't think he is a particularly good manager. I also look at Rotherham and their performances under Warnock and Paul warne compared to stubbs time In charge.
I wish him well I just don't want back at Hibs.

jacomo
07-06-2018, 10:24 PM
I'm dismissing nothing, I'm just looking that these kind of results and then using it as an example of why I don't think he is a particularly good manager. I also look at Rotherham and their performances under Warnock and Paul warne compared to stubbs time In charge.

He did great for us. You’re havering.

pacoluna
07-06-2018, 10:25 PM
Its been 2 years mate... maybe speak to someone about it if it bothers you that much

Exactly it's been two years, maybe people can move on instead of linking him with coming back to Hibs at every opportunity.

Thecat23
07-06-2018, 10:27 PM
I'm dismissing nothing, I'm just looking that these kind of results and then using it as an example of why I don't think he is a particularly good manager. I also look at Rotherham and their performances under Warnock and Paul warne compared to stubbs time In charge.

I’m not talking about bringing him back to Hibs. Lennon has put us on another level and I’d hope we stay there after Lennon leaves. If Stubbs did come back I’d hope he’d have gained more experience but I wouldn’t be shouting for his name.

But I will give him the praise he deserves for building what we have right now because without him we’d still no doubt be a rudderless ship. We got the right man at the right time.

Heisenberg
07-06-2018, 10:29 PM
I respect Stubbs massively for the job he did in bringing some of these players to the club and of course for winning the cup. He’s a club legend forever.

Would I be desperate for him to return? Probably not.

Dunbar Hibee
07-06-2018, 10:32 PM
I’m not talking about bringing him back to Hibs. Lennon has put us on another level and I’d hope we stay there after Lennon leaves. If Stubbs did come back I’d hope he’d have gained more experience but I wouldn’t be shouting for his name.

But I will give him the praise he deserves for building what we have right now because without him we’d still no doubt be a rudderless ship. We got the right man at the right time.

Correct F, especially considering what he inherited when he game into the club. 21/05/16 aside, that man (along with George Craig and Leeann) brought our club back to life.

Diclonius
07-06-2018, 10:33 PM

This one was ok though.

https://i.imgur.com/nuodGP8.jpg

Thecat23
07-06-2018, 10:35 PM
Correct F, especially considering what he inherited when he game into the club. 21/05/16 aside, that man (along with George Craig and Leeann) brought our club back to life.

Bang on, without them I’d hate to think where we’d be.

pacoluna
07-06-2018, 10:36 PM
This one was ok though.

https://i.imgur.com/nuodGP8.jpg

Correct.

Hi Heid Yin
07-06-2018, 10:46 PM
I can only wish Stubbsy well in his new role...except, of course, against us.

Daydreamer
07-06-2018, 11:12 PM
Good luck to Stubbsy he got the monkey off the back and brought some marvelous players to the club who are still with Hibs now. McGregor, Mcginn, Mcgeoch, Boyle, Gray, Bartley and partly Scott Allan. He brought these players in that gave us that great day. Replacing them over the next few months will be extremely difficult for Neil.

Onion
08-06-2018, 04:29 AM
Top man, good manager, Legend. Will be well received when he comes to ER with his new team.

Dr Jimmy
08-06-2018, 05:31 AM
Top man, good manager, Legend. Will be well received when he comes to ER with his new team.

The way I remember Stubbs is that he took over when we were in the depth of despair. He left us after the cup final when we were euphoric!
Total legend who along with Leanne gave us back our hope, joy and respect.
Out of everone who has left and then came back to ER I hope that this man gets a proper heroes welcome!

Onion
08-06-2018, 06:06 AM
The way I remember Stubbs is that he took over when we were in the depth of despair. He left us after the cup final when we were euphoric!
Out of everone who has left and then came back to ER I hope that this man gets a proper heroes welcome!

Spot on ! The rebuild job following Butcher and the way he prepared the squad for the Cup Final (after the devastation of Falkirk the week before) are two of the greatest pieces of management I can recall at Hibs. Great man.

Pretty Boy
08-06-2018, 06:10 AM

You've elected to miss out a few key results in that run of games. Why is that?

pacoluna
08-06-2018, 06:42 AM
You've elected to miss out a few key results in that run of games. Why is that?

Because these were the key results that hindered the chance of promotion. This highlighted the fact we struggled against lesser teams who sat back, we never had a plan b. I've not missed out any league games in that run, only cup games.

Allant1981
08-06-2018, 06:49 AM
stubbs is cleary a legend at the club, he started building a decent team that has now been taken to the next level, he clearly wont have as much of a wage budget at st mirren so think he might struggle but good luck to the guy anyway

Pretty Boy
08-06-2018, 06:51 AM
Because these were the key results that hindered the chance of promotion. This highlighted the fact we struggled against lesser teams who sat back, we never had a plan b.

Jeezo let it go man.

We won the Scottish ****ing Cup. A catalyst for record ST sales and crowds and an awakening of the fanbase that no advertising campaign, or promotion, could ever acheive.

At the time I argued promotion was more important but I was spectacularly wrong. Promotion would never have captured the imagination in the way the cup win did. Stubbs took over a club and team that was on it's knees and left us with something we all desired above all else ans a stable platform for Neil Lennon to build upon to kick us on again.

I always assumed the Hibs manager that managed what Turnbull, Stein, Shankly, Ormond, Stanton, Mowbray, Collins et al couldn't would be universally acclaimed but there's a very vocal handful that have a deep rooted bitterness about a league campaogn that in the grand scheme of things is nothing more than an insifnificant footnote.

One Day
08-06-2018, 06:56 AM

that's exactly how I feel, good luck to him. he's a legend

Northernhibee
08-06-2018, 06:56 AM
Jeezo let it go man.

We won the Scottish ****ing Cup. A catalyst for record ST sales and crowds and an awakening of the fanbase that no advertising campaign, or promotion, could ever acheive.

At the time I argued promotion was more important but I was spectacularly wrong. Promotion would never have captured the imagination in the way the cup win did. Stubbs took over a club and team that was on it's knees and left us with something we all desired above all else ans a stable platform for Neil Lennon to build upon to kick us on again.

I always assumed the Hibs manager that managed what Turnbull, Stein, Shankly, Ormond, Stanton, Mowbray, Collins et al couldn't would be universally acclaimed but there's a very vocal handful that have a deep rooted bitterness about a league campaogn that in the grand scheme of things is nothing more than an insifnificant footnote.

Those weeks in terms of schedule were crazy as well. Still in three competitions including a cup final and a replay against ICT. Constant midweek games and injury problems that left us playing KT and Bartley in midfield.

pacoluna
08-06-2018, 06:57 AM
Jeezo let it go man.

Let what go? My opinion? That he isn't that good a manager. There's no need to respond iv had my input as why I wouldnt want him back at ER as manager and a lot of you are getting all offended. I have no dislike of the guy I will always remember him as the cup winning hero as everyone else does but wouldn't want him back due to reasons explained.

PatHead
08-06-2018, 07:11 AM
Let what go? My opinion? That he isn't that good a manager. There's no need to respond iv had my input as why I wouldnt want him back at ER as manager and a lot of you are getting all offended. I have no dislike of the guy I will always remember him as the cup winning hero as everyone else does but wouldn't want him back due to reasons explained.

I think what everyone is trying to tell you is that we were doing fine in the league until we started to play 2 games a week. We then hit that really rough patch due to injuries and fatigue. If it had not been for some terrible decisions in both Falkirk play off matches we would have been in the play off final. That is not to say we would have won it as there was the ridiculous decision to have each tie on either side of the Cup final. I think you are being unfair on Stubbs. He is a legend and deserves every piece of admiration he gets. Whether he is the man for the job once Lennon goes is another discussion. What he did for our club should never be underestimated.

pacoluna
08-06-2018, 07:28 AM
I think what everyone is trying to tell you is that we were doing fine in the league until we started to play 2 games a week. We then hit that really rough patch due to injuries and fatigue. If it had not been for some terrible decisions in both Falkirk play off matches we would have been in the play off final. That is not to say we would have won it as there was the ridiculous decision to have each tie on either side of the Cup final. I think you are being unfair on Stubbs. He is a legend and deserves every piece of admiration he gets. Whether he is the man for the job once Lennon goes is another discussion. What he did for our club should never be underestimated.
If that's your excuse for getting beat of teams like alloa, Dumbarton etc. Then so be it.

CorrieHibs
08-06-2018, 07:55 AM
Stubbs is a legend for obvious reasons. I’ll be honest it wasn’t all great; highs (our biggest high tbf) and lows. However, he did take a team that was on its knees and built a good side.

He’s got a great eye for a player; Gray, Boyle, Allan, McGeouch, Henderson etc and persuaded McGinn to join a team in the championship.

He struggled with breaking down teams in the championship and that’s were he failed. Second place in the first season was good cause hearts strolled it. But, failed in the first rounds of the play offs then beaten off Falkirk the next season after finishing 3rd, which was really poor. Although I think we failed due too many games in a short period with being in both cups.

His record against Hearts , Rangers (bar the playoffs) and the premiership sides in the cups was excellent. Think he only lost once in 90 mins and that was the league cup final against county.

I’m sure would have won us the championship the year we got up cause Lennon struggled to break teams down as well.

As I said he built the foundations along with Dempster. He should have never of went to Rotherham. Poisonous chalice. Another crap English team who think they’re better than they are. They were always going to get relegated and Stubbs likes his teams to play good football and you cannae do that in a scrap.

I think St.Mirren are getting a good manager and at least this time he’s getting a team that are a high at the moment.

Good luck to him and he’ll get a wonderful reception at Easter Road before the match.

we are hibs
08-06-2018, 08:20 AM
I seem to remember when we went down people wanted a man who could bring pride back to the club and give hibs fans some good football to watch week in week out. They got that and got the greatest day in our history into the bargain too. He signed the core of a side who won the cup, got us eventually up, unbeaten for 4 years against hearts and a European spot in the end. People keep saying "aye but we didn't go up". First season they were applauded off the park after losing the play off final to rangers because the fans appreciated the football and turnaround that had been achieved. Second season we reached two cup finals and played nearly 60 games with a small squad so it's no surprise we ran out of gas. Yet we still found an inner belief to go and give everything to win the cup and create history. It's a disgrace and joke the way some hibs fans go on about Stubbs at times. Appreciate the good times and the bad which helped us get our club back and looking forward to a Saturday at Easter Road.

Carheenlea
08-06-2018, 08:53 AM
I seem to remember when we went down people wanted a man who could bring pride back to the club and give hibs fans some good football to watch week in week out. They got that and got the greatest day in our history into the bargain too. He signed the core of a side who won the cup, got us eventually up, unbeaten for 4 years against hearts and a European spot in the end. People keep saying "aye but we didn't go up". First season they were applauded off the park after losing the play off final to rangers because the fans appreciated the football and turnaround that had been achieved. Second season we reached two cup finals and played nearly 60 games with a small squad so it's no surprise we ran out of gas. Yet we still found an inner belief to go and give everything to win the cup and create history. It's a disgrace and joke the way some hibs fans go on about Stubbs at times. Appreciate the good times and the bad which helped us get our club back and looking forward to a Saturday at Easter Road.

:top marks

500miles
08-06-2018, 09:09 AM
Neil Lennon struggled just as badly as Stubbs did when breaking down those defensive teams until we signed Commons last season and Allan this season. I think it really just goes to show how dependant success is on a few key players for clubs in our position. Consistency is difficult to keep up.

Hibs4185
08-06-2018, 09:18 AM
St mirren v hibs first game of the season guaranteed. I would say at Easter road but does the promoted team not get a guaranteed home game?

Billy Whizz
08-06-2018, 09:21 AM
St mirren v hibs first game of the season guaranteed. I would say at Easter road but does the promoted team not get a guaranteed home game?

St Mirren will be at home on the 1st day. You tend not to want the promoted clubs, away on the 1st day anyway. They and their fans will be well up for it

Sergio sledge
08-06-2018, 09:44 AM

You are right that those first three results killed any slim hope we had of winning the league.

However tiredness certainly would have been a factor, from the 30th of January to the 21st of May we played 27 games in 16 weeks, which is 1 every 4 days. Falkirk (who went from 2 points behind before the 30th January to finishing above us on goal difference) only played 18 games in the same 16 week period. Rangers (who were 5 points ahead on before the 30th January and finished 11 points ahead) played 21 games in 16 weeks. We played basically every weekend and midweek from the end of January to the end of the season. Falkirk on the other hand only really had 2 weeks where they played more than 1 game a week.

With recovery days after games and a day off for the players every week, we'll have been lucky to have been training twice a week in that period. The players were running on fumes at the end of the season and their efforts to win the cup after being done over by the referee in the playoff the week before were hugely impressive.

Like others, I don't think Stubbs should return to Hibs, but he was a great manager for us and deserves some leniency for the failure to get promotion in his second season because of the ridiculous fixture congestion we had.

cleanyman
08-06-2018, 09:57 AM
St.Mirren are going down

Billy Whizz
08-06-2018, 10:03 AM
St.Mirren are going down

Think they’ll need some better players, but I don’t think they will be bottom though

SideBurns
08-06-2018, 10:07 AM
I wouldn't want Stubbs back as I'd rather just remember him as manager of the Hibs team who won the Scottish Cup. For that achievement, he should receive the warmest applause ever given to anyone returning as boss of another club - and I'm sure he will.

danhibees1875
08-06-2018, 10:10 AM
St.Mirren are going down

Livi are a near cert for 12th, IMO.

I don't see there being much between St. Mirren, Hamilton, and Dundee though.

Iain G
08-06-2018, 10:14 AM
Think they’ll need some better players, but I don’t think they will be bottom though

If they get a good slice of any SJM fee they will be able to improve on what they have and Stubbs has a good eye for a player. :agree:

Billy Whizz
08-06-2018, 10:41 AM
Livi are a near cert for 12th, IMO.

I don't see there being much between St. Mirren, Hamilton, and Dundee though.

You’d have though so, but having a plastic pitch will give them an advantage at home

mutley
08-06-2018, 11:17 AM
Just spoke to my mate who is pretty much ITK with St Mirren stuff and thinks that Stubbs will be officially announced as manager today. He then went on to say that he give they get the Hibs Stubbs and not the Rotherham Stubbs. Personally I think he will
be good for St M, and I am sure we will give give a great reception at ER.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

skyehibee
08-06-2018, 11:17 AM
Just confirmed now. 3 year deal

danhibees1875
08-06-2018, 11:22 AM
You’d have though so, but having a plastic pitch will give them an advantage at home

Did Killie's home form not do the opposite, until the tail end of this year then it became spectacular?

I'm not convinced I buy into the theory.

ian cruise
08-06-2018, 11:59 AM
Great move for him and for St Mirren, feels like a really good for for both.

Stubbs was a great appointment for us, rebuild the team and help create the team sprit and ethos we now have. Yes he made mistakes but it was his first managers job. Better managers than him have made worse mistakes in their career.

Two cup finals are enough to convince me hell do just fine there. Expecting them to be around top 6 positions and play some good football. Our league needs more teams who play Stubb's style of football so a welcome appointment, I hope St Mirren fans turn out and support him.

worcesterhibby
08-06-2018, 12:07 PM
Brandan Rogers
Neil Lennon
Steve Clarke
Steven Gerrard
Derek McInnes
Alan Stubbs

The Scottish Premiership is the place to be if you are a British manager...the EPL is yesterdays news !

jacomo
08-06-2018, 12:33 PM

This is the correct perspective.

When Stubbs joined Hibs, we’d just had thousands protesting outside ER and telling the Board tae GTF.

When he left, we’d just had 150k people on the streets of Leith for a party.

That was not all his doing, of course... but he played a massive part.

I just cannot understand folk who want to denigrate his contribution to Hibs. It’s absolutely baffling.

Elephant Stone
08-06-2018, 12:42 PM
Brandan Rogers
Neil Lennon
Steve Clarke
Steven Gerrard
Derek McInnes
Alan Stubbs

The Scottish Premiership is the place to be if you are a British manager...the EPL is yesterdays news !

:top marksExciting times for the league.

Pretty jealous of St Mirren though. Good thing for us is you couldn't see Stubbs for dust the last time Rotherham showed a bit of skirt so hopefully he can be persuaded to come back to ER, should he be required and desired.
** Not looking for a Stubbs debate but if anyone wants one, let's have it :take that

Elephant Stone
08-06-2018, 12:45 PM
Will he try and sign any Hibs players? He'll be keen on Bartley for sure, hope we keep him though.

Diclonius
08-06-2018, 12:57 PM
St Mirren should do fairly well this season, Stubbs is a big game manager and all their games will be big games.

Hibs Class
08-06-2018, 01:04 PM
Hope he does okay there. Think St Mirren played some decent football last year, and if they can maintain the gap over Livingston then worst they can expect is a play-off place. I'd expect them to do better than that, although doubt they can achieve top six.

ancient hibee
08-06-2018, 01:07 PM
Did Killie's home form not do the opposite, until the tail end of this year then it became spectacular?

I'm not convinced I buy into the theory.
Yes.When they qualified for the top six they had slightly more away points than home points.Think St.Mirren will really struggle.Manager and probably best player gone ,not a good start.

Onceinawhile
08-06-2018, 01:08 PM
Genuinely hope St Mirren win every game apart from the four against us.

Of course we will win every game and finish top, so it's not a problem.

Stranraer
08-06-2018, 01:16 PM
Hope St. Mirren do okay. If they stay up I'm sure that will be an achievement. Hamilton defo to go down for me.

Lago
08-06-2018, 01:16 PM
I am pleased for Alan Stubbs & hope he does well, for the sake of Scottish football, but I don't get this we must get him back to ER. That ship has sailed.

The_Horde
08-06-2018, 01:29 PM
Put your money on St Mirren having a good season but narrowly missing out on the top six.

pacoluna
08-06-2018, 01:44 PM
Put your money on St Mirren having a good season but narrowly missing out on the top six.

Think they and livi will go straight back down.

Onion
08-06-2018, 03:48 PM
:top marksExciting times for the league.

Pretty jealous of St Mirren though. Good thing for us is you couldn't see Stubbs for dust the last time Rotherham showed a bit of skirt so hopefully he can be persuaded to come back to ER, should he be required and desired.
** Not looking for a Stubbs debate but if anyone wants one, let's have it :take that

OK I'll bite.... :greengrin Stubbs was on the verge of being sacked by Hibs ... until he won us the Cup. He also thought he couldn't top a Hibs Scottish Cup win - a reasonable conclusion. Nothing to do with the pull of Rotherham, more the right time to move from Hibs.

Brizo
08-06-2018, 04:04 PM
This is the correct perspective.

When Stubbs joined Hibs, we’d just had thousands protesting outside ER and telling the Board tae GTF.

When he left, we’d just had 150k people on the streets of Leith for a party.

That was not all his doing, of course... but he played a massive part.

I just cannot understand folk who want to denigrate his contribution to Hibs. It’s absolutely baffling.

:agree::top marks

Northernhibee
08-06-2018, 04:12 PM
Think they and livi will go straight back down.

Hamilton 12th, Livi 11th and down.

JimboHibs
08-06-2018, 04:16 PM
A man who holds the club very dear to his heart,the emotion he's shown whilst commentating on derby games has been clear to see & he's an absolute gentleman the visits he made to children & supporters who were poorly speaks volumes about him.Without doubt he'll forever be a legend at Hibs and wish him nothing but success for the future.

pacoluna
08-06-2018, 04:26 PM
Hamilton 12th, Livi 11th and down.

Hamilton always pull it out the bag, canning deserves a shot at a bigger club.

BoomtownHibees
08-06-2018, 04:40 PM

You’ve picked a game that we won to show how bad a manager he is?

ano hibby
08-06-2018, 04:48 PM
Hibees 3 Rangers 2.
Jambos know that it’s true..

Won’t hear a bad word.
Good luck Stubbsy

Billy Whizz
08-06-2018, 05:16 PM
Seemingly appointed on his ability of bringing through the youth. Not having a go at him, but I felt he wasn’t that great at doing this at Hibs. He used to occasionally go to Development matches, never got involved. Where as Lennon goes to nearly everyone of them, and coaches as well!
Just my opinion of course

Should have added that he brought a lot of good plates to Hibs, much much better than we had, so has some great contacts and persuasion skills!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44401199

Paloschi
08-06-2018, 06:40 PM
Stubbs was better at recruitment and identifying good young players to sign instead of bringing through youth. That may. D to do with our youth players at the time. Apart from Cummings nobody made an impact

Scouse Hibee
08-06-2018, 06:45 PM
Good for Stubbs, he came to us at a time of turmoil, gave us our greatest day and left us in a better state than he found us. Nothing could ever dampen my admiration for him. We have moved on leaps and bounds since then but that cup win laid the foundations and for that he deserves our admiration.

sleeping giant
08-06-2018, 07:10 PM
Good for Stubbs, he came to us at a time of turmoil, gave us our greatest day and left us in a better state than he found us. Nothing could ever dampen my admiration for him. We have moved on leaps and bounds since then but that cup win laid the foundations and for that he deserves our admiration.

Nutshell :agree:

Green_one
09-06-2018, 08:32 AM
A man who holds the club very dear to his heart,the emotion he's shown whilst commentating on derby games has been clear to see & he's an absolute gentleman the visits he made to children & supporters who were poorly speaks volumes about him.Without doubt he'll forever be a legend at Hibs and wish him nothing but success for the future.

I agree. Plus we then got an upgrade in manager, so it was a win win for Hibs.

:flag:

Keith_M
09-06-2018, 08:48 AM
I have to be honest, when we reached the end of the league season having failed again to get promoted, I thought it was maybe time to look elsewhere.

I was pretty pee'd off with Stubbs' inability to work out how to beat the so-called lesser clubs.

I'm still forever grateful for the Cup win, though,

Jack Hackett
09-06-2018, 08:49 AM
Brandan Rogers
Neil Lennon
Steve Clarke
Steven Gerrard
Derek McInnes
Alan Stubbs

Hang on, someone's missing from the list... Oh! It's OK... Found him in the toilet :greengrin

Northernhibee
09-06-2018, 08:54 AM
Stubbs was better at recruitment and identifying good young players to sign instead of bringing through youth. That may. D to do with our youth players at the time. Apart from Cummings nobody made an impact

Tbf the younger players he made an effort to get ready for first team football - Handling, Martin, Booth, Harris, Allan, Crane - were either just too young or not good enough for the club. There's only so much you can really do but once he got youngsters with potential he got a lot out of them.

Let's not forget how much of a shambles our club was top to bottom when he took over. Other than the stadium and training facilities it was broken.

PatHead
09-06-2018, 10:52 AM
If that's your excuse for getting beat of teams like alloa, Dumbarton etc. Then so be it.

It is. Imagine getting beat by Hearts by 4 goals. Maybe Celtic should have sacked Rodgers then.

Beefster
09-06-2018, 11:31 AM
I have to be honest, when we reached the end of the league season having failed again to get promoted, I thought it was maybe time to look elsewhere.

I was pretty pee'd off with Stubbs' inability to work out how to beat the so-called lesser clubs.

I'm still forever grateful for the Cup win, though,

Snap.

A Hi-Bee
09-06-2018, 11:33 AM
I think Stubbsy will do a good job at St Mirren and would not be surprised to see them do well in cups once he has got his feet under the table.
Will be interesting the first time he comes up against us.

pacoluna
09-06-2018, 11:58 AM
It is. Imagine getting beat by Hearts by 4 goals. Maybe Celtic should have sacked Rodgers then.

What?

ToffeeCabbage
09-06-2018, 01:16 PM
It's been interesting reading people's thoughts on Stubbs, now that a bit of time has passed.
I'll be forever grateful to him for the cup win and for that I'll happily give him leeway when it comes to not getting promotion. You have to remember the mess he inherited and the difficulty of turning us around in a short space of time after losing to Hamilton.
We were always playing catch up on Hearts and Rangers because they knew they would be in that division months before the end of the previous season and could plan ahead. He may not have delivered promotion but he gave us what we all dreamed of while laying the foundations for Lennon to take us forward. I know I'm making excuses for him but I don't care [emoji3] the man is a legend!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

PatHead
09-06-2018, 08:11 PM
What?

You seem to think that because Stubbs couldn’t set up a team to beat clubs on a much lesser budget he is not good enough for Hibs. Equally Rodgers managed a team who got humped by the worst Hearts team in years. They also got beaten by Killie and us. Using your reasoning he is not fit to manage a club with such a big budget. My point is that you can selectively choose results to back up whatever you want. I think Stubbs is a Hibs legend and do not understand your lack of respect for him.

pacoluna
09-06-2018, 08:26 PM
You seem to think that because Stubbs couldn’t set up a team to beat clubs on a much lesser budget he is not good enough for Hibs. Equally Rodgers managed a team who got humped by the worst Hearts team in years. They also got beaten by Killie and us. Using your reasoning he is not fit to manage a club with such a big budget. My point is that you can selectively choose results to back up whatever you want. I think Stubbs is a Hibs legend and do not understand your lack of respect for him.
Rodgers won the treble twice with minute blips along the way. Stubbs failed to get promoted from the championship two years in a row due to regular dropping of points against much lesser opposition, how are these two comparable?

I don't lack respect for him, I just feel he isn't a particularly good manager.

Forza Fred
10-06-2018, 05:56 AM
Rodgers won the treble twice with minute blips along the way. Stubbs failed to get promoted from the championship two years in a row due to regular dropping of points against much lesser opposition, how are these two comparable?

Irrespective of our personal opinions of him, his record also shows that Hibs were his first managerial post in his career.

He came at a time when the club was in chaos and was involved in setting up the structure that now serves us well.

He maybe did not get us promoted, but he WAS in charge of the team that won the cup....something tha any manager up to 114 years before him failed to do.

He no doubt will have learned from not only his time at Hibs, but also from his ill fated move to Rotherham, and I have no doubt will be a much improved manager this time around.

I think he will do well at St Mirren, and keep them up.

erin go bragh
10-06-2018, 09:22 AM
Our first season in the championship was always going to be difficult. Stubbs had inherited a club in turmoil. Throw in the diet Huns and the full fat ones and we did Finnish ahead of the latter ones ,albeit lost to them in the playoffs.
Second season ,we reached both cup finals ,which resulted in us playing an unprecedented amount of games . Throw in a couple of shocking decisions by the ref in the Falkirk playoff games .
Stubbs will forever be a Hibernian legend .
I hope we take 9pts off St Mirren and they take 12 off Hearts :)

10-06-2018, 09:30 AM
Our first season in the championship was always going to be difficult. Stubbs had inherited a club in turmoil. Throw in the diet Huns and the full fat ones and we did Finnish ahead of the latter ones ,albeit lost to them in the playoffs.
Second season ,we reached both cup finals ,which resulted in us playing an unprecedented amount of games . Throw in a couple of shocking decisions by the ref in the Falkirk playoff games .
Stubbs will forever be a Hibernian legend .
I hope we take 9pts off St Mirren and they take 12 off Hearts :)

Spot on except for last sentence. 12 off St Mirren (in top 6), they'll take 9 off Hearts who'll be bottom 6. :thumbsup:

angus hibby
10-06-2018, 10:14 AM
Won’t hear a bad word about Stubbs. We were in a right mess when he took over and he did an excellent job for us.

All the players seemed to love playing under him, certainly one of the McGinn brothers at St Mirren said that John raves about him. You must be doing something right if your players all have that respect for you.

Hibee87
10-06-2018, 12:21 PM

Do you rate lennon?

Im sure its been mentioned but lennon achieved promotion with 1 point more than what stubbs achieved in his 2 seasons. 2 seasons in which we had hearts and rangers then rangers in the league lennon had neither.

Im not interested in what brendan has done or not at celtic but it was evident in the championship that teams would play 10 men behind a ball and kick anything that moved (like some spfl teams as well to be honest) its hard to play and win all the time against that.
Stubbs was a great manager for hibs and id be prepared to say he will be for st mirren.

pacoluna
10-06-2018, 12:31 PM
Do you rate lennon?

Im sure its been mentioned but lennon achieved promotion with 1 point more than what stubbs achieved in his 2 seasons. 2 seasons in which we had hearts and rangers then rangers in the league lennon had neither.

Im not interested in what brendan has done or not at celtic but it was evident in the championship that teams would play 10 men behind a ball and kick anything that moved (like some spfl teams as well to be honest) its hard to play and win all the time against that.
Stubbs was a great manager for hibs and id be prepared to say he will be for st mirren.
I'm not even going to compare Stubbs with Lennon.

WeeRussell
10-06-2018, 01:53 PM
Just popping in to make sure people are still using this thread to have a dig at the most legendary manager in our club’s history.

Wilson
10-06-2018, 01:55 PM
Just popping in to make sure people are still using this thread to have a dig at the most legendary manager in our club’s history.

Eddie Turnbull?

Wee Effen Bee
10-06-2018, 04:17 PM

IMHO I think a lot of Lennon’s success was based upon the great work of Stubbs et al. Lennon inherited a Stubbs’ team on the up - winning the SC in such a fashion but doing so by completely restructuring and reshaping our playing staff which, for all intents and purposes, was one of the worst in recent memory. The foundations were there for Neil, we just needed his undeniable talent to further develop HFC. Can’t compare them as they both brought different things to the table - some managerial skills we have been lacking in many a year!

Beefster
10-06-2018, 04:24 PM

Hugh Shaw won three championships and took us to the semi-final of the European Cup.

HibbyAndy
10-06-2018, 05:55 PM
Eddie Turnbull?

Alan Stubbs trumps every single manager we have ever had because he brought home the holy grail

Wilson
10-06-2018, 06:08 PM
Alan Stubbs trumps every single manager we have ever had because he brought home the holy grail

Not for me. Sorry.

HibbyAndy
10-06-2018, 06:34 PM
Not for me. Sorry.

Fair enough pal

But Stubbs gave hibs THEE greatest game in history without a shadow of doubt

lapsedhibee
11-06-2018, 03:12 AM
Did we not have a manager in 1902? :confused:

HibbyAndy
11-06-2018, 05:18 AM

Yeah but we never waited 114 years :-)

danhibees1875
11-06-2018, 06:42 AM

Was it not a "committee" rather than a manager back then?