PDA

View Full Version : If you could go back to relive a match as new, which one?

Greenbeard
05-06-2018, 07:58 AM
Close season stuff this, but if you could relive a match as if watching it for the first time, which match would it be? Let's discount what to me are the three obvious ones - 2016 Final, 0-7 and 6-2.

Nothing changes, no magic re-taking of penalties, no second bite at the cherry for missed sitters etc, just exactly the same match watched over again but as if watching it for the first time?

Not sure what my Hibs match would be, maybe 5-0 v. Napoli in the Fairs cup in '67 (not that I saw it first time round), but Scotland would def be Wembley '67.

snooky
05-06-2018, 08:11 AM
0-7
.....then SCF 2016

CB_NO3
05-06-2018, 08:22 AM
Sproule hat-trick at Ibrox was a great day out.

BILLYHIBS
05-06-2018, 08:29 AM
0-7
.....then SCF 2016
Shout! That and HIBS 6 v 1 Sporting Lisbon HIBS totally unplayable second half down the slope.

:thumbsup::flag:

Northernhibee
05-06-2018, 08:30 AM
4-3 against Falkirk, 4-0 Vs Sevco

Ruling THAT game out for being too obvious.

Diclonius
05-06-2018, 08:32 AM
2-2.

ToffeeCabbage
05-06-2018, 08:32 AM
The 2nd half onwards of the 4-3 Falkirk semi. The despair/joy/relief rollercoaster was bonkers. A lot of my English colleagues at the time who weren't really interested in scottish football but knew I'd travelled up for it, were watching on tv and were texting me grief at HT. By FT they were in disbelief that we'd come back. Think a couple of them had a soft spot for us after that day.
An obvious one would be the 4-0 v Rangers but the 4-0 against Dunfermline to secure safety was just as good for me. I remember being so tense and nervous before the game but we totally blew them away. The early goals let everyone relax and enjoy the game and the result was never in doubt. It was the 1st time I'd ever sat in the south as well so that made it a bit more memorable for me

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Smartie
05-06-2018, 08:36 AM
(Apart from the obvious) then for Hibs it would be the millennium derby - the first time I'd seen us win there.

Scotland winning 1-0 in Paris was right up there for the day/ night out though.

Stranraer
05-06-2018, 08:53 AM
I really enjoyed the Scottish Cup semi final win against Aberdeen back in 2012 when O'Connor scored. It was my brothers first Hibs match too.

calumhibee1
05-06-2018, 08:55 AM
Scottish Cup win. It might be obvious but it would be so far ahead of every other game that there’s no point in not saying it.

ancient hibee
05-06-2018, 08:58 AM
3-2 Barcelona.

worcesterhibby
05-06-2018, 08:58 AM
1-1 draw with Kilmarnock on 10th of December 1979. Ally McLeod scored a lovely volley to equalise in the second half. Only game I ever attended with my Granda who died a few years later. It would be lovely to be sat next to him again in the old main stand, banging our feet on the wooden floor to stay warm and him with a travel rug over his knees. The smell of the old blokes pipe behind us, being bought sweets (some Chelsea Whoppers and fruit salad in a wee white bag) on the way there, being 11 years old and in awe of the ground and the players and the whole atmosphere of a "proper" football match.

I remember he made me stand outside the bookies on the way there and a couple of old ladies said "Come on the Hibees!" as I stood, back against the bookies window, looking down at the badges on my new scarf. My mum had sewn a Hibs Ace of Clubs patch on especially the night before.

A chance to be 11 again and chat to my Granda and see the players from my youth (McLeod, Rae, Jackie Mac, Ralph Callachan, Craig Paterson, Arthur Duncan, Tony Higgins) would be worth more than some of the more famous and spectacular results in Hibs History.

Liam6270
05-06-2018, 09:01 AM
THAT day in May is obviously the favourite but for me it would be 4-1 against St Mirren when Stokes made his debut again, it was my wee boys first Hibs game and it got him hooked!

Sir David Gray
05-06-2018, 09:14 AM
4-3 v Falkirk well the 2nd half!

AltheHibby
05-06-2018, 09:15 AM
My first ever Hibs match. Edinburgh Derby, 2-0 win.

I went with my Hearts supporting uncle and there was no trouble among the mixed crowd.

Sport as it should be. 😁

blackpoolhibs
05-06-2018, 09:19 AM
Apart from the cup win, which is way ahead of any game for me, then it has to be the Sporting Lisbon game, what a match, what a performance and probably the best atmosphere i have witnessed at Easter Road.

B.H.F.C
05-06-2018, 09:22 AM
Outwith the cup game, it would be the Millennium derby for me.

I was there but was only 12 so didn’t properly appreciate it I don’t think.

DickEDastardly
05-06-2018, 09:33 AM
1-1 draw with Kilmarnock on 10th of December 1979. Ally McLeod scored a lovely volley to equalise in the second half. Only game I ever attended with my Granda who died a few years later. It would be lovely to be sat next to him again in the old main stand, banging our feet on the wooden floor to stay warm and him with a travel rug over his knees. The smell of the old blokes pipe behind us, being bought sweets (some Chelsea Whoppers and fruit salad in a wee white bag) on the way there, being 11 years old and in awe of the ground and the players and the whole atmosphere of a "proper" football match.

I remember he made me stand outside the bookies on the way there and a couple of old ladies said "Come on the Hibees!" as I stood, back against the bookies window, looking down at the badges on my new scarf. My mum had sewn a Hibs Ace of Clubs patch on especially the night before.

A chance to be 11 again and chat to my Granda and see the players from my youth (McLeod, Rae, Jackie Mac, Ralph Callachan, Craig Paterson, Arthur Duncan, Tony Higgins) would be worth more than some of the more famous and spectacular results in Hibs History.

Don’t often post on here but that is worthy of comment.....beautifully written and evocative - thanks for sharing and a great memory for you [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BILLYHIBS
05-06-2018, 09:36 AM

:top marks

Forza Fred
05-06-2018, 09:40 AM
1/1/73

Centre Hawf
05-06-2018, 09:50 AM
It's a hard one. Even though it wasn't a win, coming back to draw 2-2 at Tynecastle was brilliant. But I think I'd have to go for the 4-0 thrashing of Rangers in our first year of the championship. We were absolutely fantastic and Scott Allan was unplayable that day. Was nice to put the boot into them after growing up watching them thrash us for years.

Not exactly a trophy-winning or league defining game but it was definitely a turning point between the two clubs, I now never go into a Rangers game thinking we can't win like I used to about 10-15 years ago.

BILLYHIBS
05-06-2018, 09:57 AM
1/1/73
Were you there Fred?

Tricla
05-06-2018, 10:01 AM
The one where GOC scored the last minute winner to beat rje Yams 1-0 at ER. Can't remember celebrating a goal like we did that one.

Oscar T Grouch
05-06-2018, 10:11 AM
The 4-3 vs Falkirk was a rollercoaster of emotions and a pretty great game. Also the 4-0 humping of the huns at Easter Road was great too and finally the cup game against the gorgie gimps 1-0 at Easter Road when we had 89% possession, I loved that game and would like to live through it again.

Hibeewilly
05-06-2018, 10:13 AM
The one where GOC scored the last minute winner to beat rje Yams 1-0 at ER. Can't remember celebrating a goal like we did that one.
That was the one we played with 10 men when Brebner got sent off wasn't it?

YanYansen
05-06-2018, 10:15 AM
I'll not repeat any of the previous games, so I'll go for...

AEK Athens at ER. Arguably the birth of SOL as "a thing". Also, I feel like if I revisited it, Paco Luna's last header might go in this time!

BILLYHIBS
05-06-2018, 10:22 AM
I'll not repeat any of the previous games, so I'll go for...

AEK Athens at ER. Arguably the birth of SOL as "a thing". Also, I feel like if I revisited it, Paco Luna's last header might go in this time!
Not allowed to change the rules as set out by the OP but I hear ye!

:thumbsup:

franks
05-06-2018, 10:43 AM
Obviously like everyone else 21/5/16 changed everything. Apart from that I'm torn between 5-0 v Napoli (coming back from 4-1 deficit against an Italian side was unheard of then) and the 1972 LC win over celic (first time I saw Hibs win a major trophy).

And I'm going to plump for the latter.

My_Wife_Camille
05-06-2018, 10:47 AM
Close season stuff this, but if you could relive a match as if watching it for the first time, which match would it be? Let's discount what to me are the three obvious ones - 2016 Final, 0-7 and 6-2.

Nothing changes, no magic re-taking of penalties, no second bite at the cherry for missed sitters etc, just exactly the same match watched over again but as if watching it for the first time?

Not sure what my Hibs match would be, maybe 5-0 v. Napoli in the Fairs cup in '67 (not that I saw it first time round), but Scotland would def be Wembley '67.
2016 Final, 0-7 and 6-2

Greenbeard
05-06-2018, 11:02 AM

Nice one.

Some folk not reading the OP ie matches excluding 2016 Cup Final, 0-7 and 6-2.

YanYansen
05-06-2018, 11:12 AM
Not allowed to change the rules as set out by the OP but I hear ye!

Ooops, I missed that bit about nothing changing.

Still stands though: I'd love to relive it. For a while we were devastating, and then that lad - Tsartis or something? - scored and it fizzled out. Followed by Zitelli's long banger. Heady times.

iwasthere1972
05-06-2018, 11:14 AM
Games I've been too.

5-0 Napoli. Quite young at the time so didn't quite take in everything that was going on.

2-1 League Cup Final against Celtic when we won 2-1. Great day and achievement. This was a Celtic side who I would say would easily beat the current Celtic side.

4-3 Semi Final against Falkirk.

There's far too many to mention. I would even choose the two Leeds matches in 68 and 73 just for the great occasions and the huge crowds.

Thecat23
05-06-2018, 11:18 AM
The 0-3 millennium derby. What a night that was!

Ray_
05-06-2018, 12:36 PM

Not a great season for Hibs [relegation, but some good memories, George Best would have been around then as well. Bad weather that month, played Kilmarnock at Rugby Park & got hammered 4-0 a couple of weeks after the home draw & we also played Jock Wallace's Leicester, beating them 3-2 on a bitterly cold December Monday evening with the original "Super Ally" scoring three, all from assists by Mr Best & Bobby Smith turning out in the Leicester blue.

I drove back to London after the game after seeing George Best in a Hibs strip for the first time. I adored Best as a kid and saw him play against Scotland for NI & against Scotland for an old firm select [with Bobby Charlton] in the fund raiser after the Ibrox disaster and having moved to Manchester close season 73, I saw him at United and later Fulham. If somebody told me during one of Best's Hampden appearances I had witnessed that he would be plying his trade at Easter Road, I would have ordered a straight jacket. The thing was, when I saw him at Hampden, Hibs had a better team than the one he was in at United as we were with almost all of the rest of the English first division at that time.

Delboy4
05-06-2018, 12:56 PM
All of the games everyone is talking about I would love to sit through again but one game always sticks in my mind was the game at ER when we beat Liverpool 1-0 in the first leg.

Now, that Liverpool were brilliant and full of Internationalists but wee Joe Harper scored at the front post in the pouring rain. I was with my Dad and big brother away up in the East second tier under a brolly!! What a game, and
of course we drove home as quick as we could to watch Sportscene for the match highlights...when Sportscene didn't have pundits, just straight into the match with the presenter standing on the side of the pitch. :greengrin

Pity they just edged us out at Anfield in the second leg...

Tricla
05-06-2018, 01:12 PM

Twas indeed.

wandering_hibee
05-06-2018, 01:15 PM
Games I've been too.

5-0 Napoli. Quite young at the time so didn't quite take in everything that was going on.

2-1 League Cup Final against Celtic when we won 2-1. Great day and achievement. This was a Celtic side who I would say would easily beat the current Celtic side.

There's far too many to mention. I would even choose the two Leeds matches in 68 and 73 just for the great occasions and the huge crowds.

You beat me to it, I agree with the top 3 but the Leeds games in 73 were fantastic and if only one of the Higgins chances at Elland Road had gone in then I would have chosen that game, similarly if King Pat's penalty had gone in, at the end of the home game...
The 2-1 League Cup final does top the lot even though some frustrated tic supporter smacked me on the way out of the game, nothing was going to spoil that day.

BILLYHIBS
05-06-2018, 01:25 PM
All of the games everyone is talking about I would love to sit through again but one game always sticks in my mind was the game at ER when we beat Liverpool 1-0 in the first leg.

Now, that Liverpool were brilliant and full of Internationalists but wee Joe Harper scored at the front post in the pouring rain. I was with my Dad and big brother away up in the East second tier under a brolly!! What a game, and
of course we drove home as quick as we could to watch Sportscene for the match highlights...when Sportscene didn't have pundits, just straight into the match with the presenter standing on the side of the pitch. :greengrin

Pity they just edged us out at Anfield in the second leg...
Yeah remember that game got totally soaked torrential downpour the whole game.I remember Kevin Keegan got pelters because he had mysteriously left the England training camp the previous weekend we were all singing Keegan wants his Mammy!To cap it all John Brownlie missed a penalty in the second half and Eddie Turnbull inexplicably dropped Pat Stanton from the second leg.

Forza Fred
05-06-2018, 02:12 PM
Were you there Fred?

Absolutely...we all went back to Frank Dougan’s place is Colinton after the game for a wee celebration.....

BILLYHIBS
05-06-2018, 02:25 PM
Absolutely...we all went back to Frank Dougan’s place is Colinton after the game for a wee celebration.....
Excellent! I wasn’t being nosey it is just that I know you are based in OZ so just wondered if it was before you decided to brexit !

Forza Fred
05-06-2018, 02:30 PM
Excellent! I wasn’t being nosey it is just that I know you are based in OZ so just wondered if it was before you decided to brexit !

Mae bother

I flew out on 24August 1974......a few days after we beat Dundee 2.1 at Easter Road in a midweek match

wookie70
05-06-2018, 02:36 PM
Good post. I think I would go for the semi-final that led to our Skol Cup win. I was so drunk I could barely remember the game the day after never mind now. For a game that I would love to see again that we got beat in it would be the 1-0 Semi against Rangers. Davie Cooper bullet free kick, busiest ever M8 and the Hibees go through on aggregate.

I agree with the AEK and 4-3 games too for the reasons stated and I also really enjoyed the Wotherspoon derby as I had a brilliant front row seat in the West and shared the moment with the kids.

Greenbeard
05-06-2018, 02:44 PM
Games I've been too.

Heard the 68 match v Leeds from the Links after the 3rd Leith cubs!

IWasThere2016
05-06-2018, 02:52 PM
21 May 2016 aside.. some randoms in chrono order:

My first game 0-2 win at St Johnstone in Nov 1974

LC win v the Pars .. oh the tears of joy!

5-0 or 5-1 v Raith, First Div - near New Year - under McLeish. The football and Sauzee, Latapy et al was excellent to watch.

LC Semi win at Hampden v Der Hun on pens

I really enjoyed two 1-4 wins at Dens and Tannadice under Mowbray also.. as Raith above some great football

The 4-3 semi win v Falkirk (but I'd stay for the whole game rather than leaving at HT :doh:)

Viva_Palmeiras
05-06-2018, 03:50 PM
CIS cup Final - missed it due to my son only being 5 days old.

Nameless
05-06-2018, 03:50 PM
Midweek derby at Tynie circa 2006.

Si Brown let in an early howler, Deano equalised and GOC smashed in a late winner (might be the other way round). Pandemonium in the school end, and the first time I'd been to Tynie and we'd won. I was at the game with my 3 best mates, and the whole day was just perfect.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

Hibs1969
05-06-2018, 04:04 PM
Hibs v Morton - November 1974.

I stood in the Dunbar end in the pouring rain for an hour as the first half ended goal-less. I slinked off like a drowned rat, got home a while later to learn that Hibs had scored 5 without reply in the second half and I had missed the lot 💦☔️

Hibeewilly
05-06-2018, 04:06 PM
Twas indeed.

Thanks for confirming Trish....I wasn't 100% sure but I was at the game. GGTTH

Earlydelivery
05-06-2018, 04:16 PM
Hibs 6 1 Sporting Lisbon ... my second favourite game ever

Earlydelivery
05-06-2018, 04:19 PM
Shout! That and HIBS 6 v 1 Sporting Lisbon HIBS totally unplayable second half down the slope.

:thumbsup::flag:

My second favourite game ever... what a performance that night shooting down the hill 2nd half

Viva_Palmeiras
05-06-2018, 04:21 PM
Considering it’s Fantasy: Each and everyone of the best games the Famous Five played individually and as a five.

Jones28
05-06-2018, 05:04 PM
CIS Cup win for me. What a crazy day. I was only 14 at the time and we skipped out half way through sunshine on leith to get back for an easy train.

Mick O'Rourke
05-06-2018, 05:08 PM
So many memories (some very hazy) flood back reading this thread.

Two obvious ones are The Great Zorro Derby and (at last!) The Holy Grail that was The Exuberance Cup Final.

Interesting how European Nights prick the memory.

One stand out,is the night Napoli came to town.
4-1 down from the first leg in Naples,we score 5 in the 2nd leg at The Holy Ground with no reply.
All the more remarkable in that Napoli had arguably the best goalkeeper on the planet during that era.

Did Dino Zoff ever concede 5 goals in any other game?

I can still picture the 1st goal,early doors.
I had just got in and was making my way down the gangway of the old main terracing.
Bobby Duncan's raker of a shot flying in the net,as my pie and bovril flew up in the air.
I dont recall much more than that,but glad to say, I was there !

worcesterhibby
05-06-2018, 05:19 PM
Not a great season for Hibs [relegation, but some good memories, George Best would have been around then as well. Bad weather that month, played Kilmarnock at Rugby Park & got hammered 4-0 a couple of weeks after the home draw & we also played Jock Wallace's Leicester, beating them 3-2 on a bitterly cold December Monday evening with the original "Super Ally" scoring three, all from assists by Mr Best & Bobby Smith turning out in the Leicester blue.

I drove back to London after the game after seeing George Best in a Hibs strip for the first time. I adored Best as a kid and saw him play against Scotland for NI & against Scotland for an old firm select [with Bobby Charlton] in the fund raiser after the Ibrox disaster and having moved to Manchester close season 73, I saw him at United and later Fulham. If somebody told me during one of Best's Hampden appearances I had witnessed that he would be plying his trade at Easter Road, I would have ordered a straight jacket. The thing was, when I saw him at Hampden, Hibs had a better team than the one he was in at United as we were with almost all of the rest of the English first division at that time.

In some ways I was lucky to have not seen the Tornadoes, my supporting life started in the late 70's so I didn't know any better. It must have been a depressing time for those that had seen how the team had declined. I did see George play against Partick and Dundee ( and San Jose Eathquakes when we played the friendly) but I don't think I understood the significance in the way older fans would have.

Ringothedog
05-06-2018, 05:46 PM
I would love to be able to back to my first game that my dad took me to versus Partick in 1968 and my last game with him which for the life of me I can’t remember who it was against 😡

Craigmount Hibs
05-06-2018, 06:03 PM
Good post. I’d pick many of the games mentioned so far. One that hasn’t is the 2-1 win at the midden in November 1988 when we were down to 10 men in the first half but still won there in the first time for forever. I was literally upside down going buns at Archie’s amazing goal - I was celebrating so much I genuinely didn’t know they had even scored. And when you see the miss that trumpet Allan Moore had in the last minute, to equalise. Magic. I’d happily relive that game.

Pretty Boy
05-06-2018, 06:13 PM
Hibs 3 Dumbarton 0 February 2015.

It was the last time I attended a Hibs game with my Grandad who took me to games in my formative years. Whilst we still watch the odd game on TV together his age and mobility mean it's unlikely he'll get to ER again. Not a particularly memorable game for many but one I wish I'd appreciated a bit more.

snooky
05-06-2018, 06:15 PM
So many memories (some very hazy) flood back reading this thread.

Two obvious ones are The Great Zorro Derby and (at last!) The Holy Grail that was The Exuberance Cup Final.

Interesting how European Nights prick the memory.

One stand out,is the night Napoli came to town.
4-1 down from the first leg in Naples,we score 5 in the 2nd leg at The Holy Ground with no reply.
All the more remarkable in that Napoli had arguably the best goalkeeper on the planet during that era.

Did Dino Zoff ever concede 5 goals in any other game?

I had just got in and was making my way down the gangway of the old main terracing.
Bobby Duncan's raker of a shot flying in the net,as my pie and bovril flew up in the air.

That's exactly as I would tell it cos that's what happened to me too.
Maybe U R me? :hmmm:

Brummie_Hibs
05-06-2018, 06:16 PM
Skol Cup semi and AEK

Stantons Angel
05-06-2018, 07:10 PM
Ive had the pleasure of watching Hibs play so many great games and some of them have been mentioned already.

The Scottish Cup Final will live on in memory for all that were present on that glorious day. What made it special for me was sharing it with my son. I have really never seen him so happy at the outcome of a game. Being together to share the memory is something special to both of us. Such a lovely day!

The 0-7 game was outstanding and showed just how football should be played, with Pat Stanton showing the way.

The league cup final of 1972 was another game in which Hibs and i must say Celtic too showed how the game should be played. Another classic Pat Stanton inspired performance.

The AEK Athens game at Easter Road was an amazing night of brilliant atmosphere and the singing of Sunshine on Leith floating over the stadium.

My favourite game other than 21.05.16 was the Dryburgh Cup Final that went into extra time when we beat Celtic at Hampden . It had a bit of everything that day, just loved it!

StevieT
05-06-2018, 07:14 PM
So many games to consider but I will go for the game at Easter Road v Leeds in 1973. That was a superb Leeds United team and we hammered them 0-0 only to go out on penalties. If that game got the same exposure as the modern day gets then the pundits would be salivating over Hibs performance.

emerald green
05-06-2018, 07:16 PM
Leaving aside the obvious ones, I'll go for Hearts 0 v Hibs 4, with Hibs rattling in 4 goals in the first 10 minutes (O'Rourke 2, Stevenson 2).

Also Hibs 5 v Kilmarnock 1 League Cup final.

crash
05-06-2018, 07:21 PM
So many memories (some very hazy) flood back

So if you just got in, how come you had a pie and bovril?

Slavers
05-06-2018, 07:25 PM
Rangers 1 Hibs 3 Scottish Cup game was pretty special! I'd love to be back in the crowd when the goals went and and singing we are the people at the Huns.

Mick O'Rourke
05-06-2018, 07:43 PM
So if you just got in, how come you had a pie and bovril?
From the pie stand at the top of the terracing.
Where else?
I didnae really have my pie and bovril-)
It went up in the air as the crowd celebrated the goal.
It was standing terrace back then, easy to get bumped/knocked over when a large crowd was in the ground.

Stantons Angel
05-06-2018, 07:47 PM
Ive had the pleasure of watching Hibs play so many great games and some of them have been mentioned already.

The Scottish Cup Final will live on in memory for all that were present on that glorious day. What made it special for me was sharing it with my son. I have really never seen him so happy at the outcome of a game. Being together to share the memory is something special to both of us. Such a lovely day!

The 0-7 game was outstanding and showed just how football should be played, with Pat Stanton showing the way.

The league cup final of 1972 was another game in which Hibs and i must say Celtic too showed how the game should be played. Another classic Pat Stanton inspired performance.

The AEK Athens game at Easter Road was an amazing night of brilliant atmosphere and the singing of Sunshine on Leith floating over the stadium.

My favourite game other than 21.05.16 was the Dryburgh Cup Final that went into extra time when we beat Celtic at Hampden . It had a bit of everything that day, just loved it!

Eyrie
05-06-2018, 08:30 PM
The OP has already ruled out 3-2, 0-7 and 6-2.

For a specific game I was at, I'd pick the 2-0 win over Dunfermline in the 1991 League Cup Final. Great way to celebrate a birthday.

But given my choice of any game, it would have to be before I was born and it would be any one where the Famous Five were in full flow.

oneone73
05-06-2018, 09:17 PM
Been following the Hibs for 55 years. But you know what? Two games I'd love to see again are from just this year - our demolition of Aberdeen at ER, and Hibs 5, Killie 3. Great times to be a Hibby.

weecounty hibby
05-06-2018, 09:31 PM
Loads of the games already mentioned but two games from the same season would be great to be at again. Both V celtic. 4-3 Scottish cup win, Eddie May winner, and the 4-4 win on pens LC game, Pearce O'Leary missing the last pen.

FilipinoHibs
06-06-2018, 08:04 AM
Nice one.

Some folk not reading the OP ie matches excluding 2016 Cup Final, 0-7 and 6-2.

1-0 vs Liverpool, 4-3 at ER against Celtic in the SC, 2-0 vs Rangers in LC semi at ER after McCoist had penalty saved. Souness's debut in Scottish football, 2-1 Hibs

Pagan Hibernia
06-06-2018, 11:36 AM
The 3-1 against cathro’s clowns in feb 2017 was just a hugely enjoyable night. Rarely seen us dominate them like that

Jim44
06-06-2018, 12:15 PM
3-2 Barcelona.

Ditto. By the way, is there video footage of this match. I’ve tried various sources like YouTube but can’t find anything. There is footage of the first leg in Barcelona but not the ER game.

Keith_M
06-06-2018, 12:25 PM

Funnily enough, my choice would also be my first ever game, also in 1979.

March, Easter Road, 2-1 Cup win over Hearts. There wasn't quite so strict segregation then so were in the South Enclosure of the Main Stand, which was probably 2/3 Hearts Supporters. Because I was only a kid, and it was overcrowded in that area, I could hardly see a thing.

I'd love to be able to go back and see it all again but this time from the Main Terrace, standing under the TV Gantry.

IGRIGI
06-06-2018, 12:26 PM
A game vs Kilmarnock under Mowbray, we were 2 nil down at HT and then we got them down the slope and won 4-2.

Also another game under Mowbray vs Motherwell at ER, Riordan scored deep into injury time (either to win it or draw), place went tonto.

iwasthere1972
06-06-2018, 01:34 PM
A game vs Kilmarnock under Mowbray, we were 2 nil down at HT and then we got them down the slope and won 4-2.

Also another game under Mowbray vs Motherwell at ER, Riordan scored deep into injury time (either to win it or draw), place went tonto.

Was at both games. I believe that Deeks late goal against Motherwell earned us all three points

HIBERNIAN-0762
06-06-2018, 01:36 PM
European nights ..

Napoli

Sporting Lisbon ( probably the best I've ever seen The Tornados, they were magnificent that night)

Gibby the Hibby
06-06-2018, 02:30 PM
Hibs v Barcelona 4-4. or the 3-2 leg would do!

Or the 3-3 draw in rome, uefa cup semi final..... if only away goals had counted!...our history in europe could have been oh so different. but we have graced the semis of both euro tournaments. not something many can say!

one I was at, would be the semi final of skol cup v rangers. J.Burridge. Im sure he had a cape on!.

Billy Whizz
06-06-2018, 03:10 PM
Other than the real special occasions, I remember a match round about 2000 or so v Dundee at ER. They had started brightly, came with a team of South Americans including the likes of Sara, Caballero, Bonetti

Think we won the game 5-1, with Didier Agathe scoring at least 2 that’s day, one was a wonder goal after a great ball from Latapy

I just remember it as a special match

heidtheba
06-06-2018, 03:22 PM
Good OP question!
OK, for purely sentimental reasons;
1 - My first match. I wasn't a football fan at all but a mate bought me a ticket and took me to Hibs v Rangers in late Jan 1993. We lost 3-4 but what a game. I'd go back and enjoy it now though. Yes, even a defeat, it was quite life-changing. I don't think a dull 1-0 win would have been so enjoyable at the time.
2 - Hibs 2 - Aberdeen 1 (I think). I've talked about this match before but it was all Hibs. Never ever felt we were so in control of a game as this one. Danny Lennon scored.
3 - Hibs 2 - Hearts 2 (Or a draw anyway) at Tynie. Michael o'Neil almost scored close to the end and it was my first away match and my first derby. LOVED IT!
4 - Hibs 1 - Hearts 0 - Hunter scores at Tynie in early '94. Nuff said really and the walk back along Gorgie Road was immense!
5 - SC Final - I didn't watch it until about a minute before SDG scored. I couldn't bear watching the nicest Hibs manager ever and one of the better teams losing another final. Shows what I knew eh...
6 - Hibs 5 - United 0 - late Dec 94. I'd had to miss the first one (my first game with an ST too!) because I was helping a friend with something.

Happy memories!

Craig_HFC
06-06-2018, 03:32 PM
Other than the real special occasions, I remember a match round about 2000 or so v Dundee at ER. They had started brightly, came with a team of South Americans including the likes of Sara, Caballero, Bonetti

Think we won the game 5-1, with Didier Agathe scoring at least 2 that’s day, one was a wonder goal after a great ball from Latapy

I just remember it as a special match

I've got part of the back page of the Sunday Herald (I think) from the next morning framed. The main picture is the Hibs support in the old main stand celebrating with Dirk Lehmann sliding on his knees towards the crowd after scoring in that game. I'm in the picture with my Dad who's lifting me in the air (I was 8 or 9).

Agathe scored 2, Lehmann got 2 from the bench and Stuart Lovell scored the other one. Caballero scored for Dundee to put them 1-0 up.

Billy Whizz
06-06-2018, 03:38 PM
I've got part of the back page of the Sunday Herald (I think) from the next morning framed. The main picture is the Hibs support in the old main stand celebrating with Dirk Lehmann sliding on his knees towards the crowd after scoring in that game. I'm in the picture with my Dad who's lifting me in the air (I was 8 or 9).

Agathe scored 2, Lehmann got 2 from the bench and Stuart Lovell scored the other one. Caballero scored for Dundee to put them 1-0 up.

Great memory for you, and what a game it was too. Beautiful Saturday afternoon in August

C Feeney-Seale
06-06-2018, 04:53 PM

It was. My first derby win. Will never forget it!

C Feeney-Seale
06-06-2018, 04:54 PM
Midweek derby at Tynie circa 2006.

Si Brown let in an early howler, Deano equalised and GOC smashed in a late winner (might be the other way round). Pandemonium in the school end, and the first time I'd been to Tynie and we'd won. I was at the game with my 3 best mates, and the whole day was just perfect.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

My first Tynie win as well. The bouncing that night really was something else!