PDA

View Full Version : Favourite Hibs Soundbites

Austinho
03-06-2018, 11:18 PM
What’s your favourite piece of Hibs commentary, interview or quote over the years?

“Henderson to Deliver” is probably the standalone favourite, and amazing to think it was repeated twice in the same game!

For me, there’s a few crackers on the Team That Wouldn’t Die film. The most poignant one being Hibernian will never die. This old club will rise again like a great Phoenix from the ashes. (https://youtu.be/6Ya4EqVYM1s?t=7m46s)

And another: On a never to be forgotten occasion, the seemingly impossible dream came true. Here was Hibernian, the team that wouldn’t die celebrating a famous victory and proudly carrying the cup back in triumph to Easter Road. This great, great club which had hovered on the very brink of existence was back in business. Yes, Hibs had battled against overwhelming odds and won. How that joyous army in green and white celebrated on a day Edinburgh will long remember... (https://youtu.be/6Ya4EqVYM1s?t=1m16s) I must have watched that video a million times as a young kid, and that is the voice I still associate with Hibs even now. Any idea who it is?

Haymaker
03-06-2018, 11:32 PM
What’s your favourite piece of Hibs commentary, interview or quote over the years?

“Henderson to Deliver” is probably the standalone favourite, and amazing to think it was repeated twice in the same game!

For me, there’s a few crackers on the Team That Wouldn’t Die film. The most poignant one being Hibernian will never die. This old club will rise again like a great Phoenix from the ashes. (https://youtu.be/6Ya4EqVYM1s?t=7m46s)

And another: On a never to be forgotten occasion, the seemingly impossible dream came true. Here was Hibernian, the team that wouldn’t die celebrating a famous victory and proudly carrying the cup back in triumph to Easter Road. This great, great club which had hovered on the very brink of existence was back in business. Yes, Hibs had battled against overwhelming odds and won. How that joyous army in green and white celebrated on a day Edinburgh will long remember... (https://youtu.be/6Ya4EqVYM1s?t=1m16s) I must have watched that video a million times as a young kid, and that is the voice I still associate with Hibs even now. Any idea who it is?

I read those quotes in his voice. Pretty sure I ruined my vhs copy watching it so many times.

Can't for the life of me remember who narrated it.

Northernhibee
03-06-2018, 11:33 PM
Cliff Pike losing his mind when Sir David scored that goal and at the final whistle.

"And Hibernian have won the Scottish cup! Let me say that again! Hibernian have won the Scottish cup!"

Ryan91
03-06-2018, 11:36 PM

The words "This old club will rise again like a great phoenix from the ashes" seem very prophetic and appropriate given the last few years. From utter despair at being relegated via the playoffs, to the joys of the 21st May 2016 and the subsequent wave of positivity that surrounds this club at the moment.

YanYansen
04-06-2018, 07:55 AM
Cliff Pike losing his mind when Sir David scored that goal and at the final whistle.

"And Hibernian have won the Scottish cup! Let me say that again! Hibernian have won the Scottish cup!"

“It’s been 114 years - now it hasn’t even been 114 SECONDS!”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stantonhibby
04-06-2018, 08:00 AM
I read those quotes in his voice. Pretty sure I ruined my vhs copy watching it so many times.

Can't for the life of me remember who narrated it.

Jim Hossack rings a bell as the narrator.

BILLYHIBS
04-06-2018, 08:54 AM
Anything from the commentary of the greatest game in history.1st of January 1973 the day that the UK joined the EEC. HIBS need to win by six goals to go top of the Scottish First Division tonight.Hibs look as though they can score at will. This green machine. Arthur Duncan the hammer of the hearts. ORourke,Gordon,Duncan,Cropley,Duncan, ORourke(stole from Paddy)and Gordon 7-0.Brilliant! Kenny Garbage even had about three decent saves Hearts should have been two up but could not handle the teamwork speed and total football of Turnbulls Tornadoes.
GGTTH

NAE NOOKIE
04-06-2018, 11:26 AM
Never mind the 'Henderson to deliver' bit ... Ian Crocker summed up being a Hibs supporter perfectly during the 2016 cup final in one sentence:

"Oh to be a Hibs fan, what you go through" :greengrin

He also had another one during a derby at Tynecastle where we had a good goal disallowed ( think it was the Jordan Forster header ) when he said "The Hibs fans will be going 'radge' as they say around here" ... made me laugh.

FastEddieFelson
04-06-2018, 11:34 AM
used to have an mp3 of david begg's commentary when sproule scored his hattrick at ibrox - that was pretty special

Titch
04-06-2018, 11:36 AM
The 3-0 Sproule hat-trick at ibrox starts with "Brown is on the burst" for the third goal

calumhibee1
04-06-2018, 11:42 AM
“There’s a long way to go, but that is a start.. that is a start”

I was at the game so didn’t hear it at the time, but when that first goal went in I’d never felt anything like it (until later in the game :greengrin). I’d never had such a strong feeling supporting Hibs that we were about to do something special.

JeMeSouviens
04-06-2018, 11:51 AM

The other boy in the background shouting "NO DANGER!" is brilliant. Captures the blend of utter joy and total disbelief. :greengrin

hibby6270
04-06-2018, 02:10 PM
Aw naw!!

hibby6270
04-06-2018, 02:27 PM
Another that sticks in my mind for some strange reason (and as it happens very relevant to events these days), is during the commentary of “The Greatest Game” when BBC’s Alistair Alexander reminds everyone that the day is 1st January 1973, the day U.K. officially Joined the EEC (now EU).

Yeah - appreciate it’s totally unrelated to football or indeed anything directly to do with Hibs, but it’s weird how certain things stick in your mind.

BILLYHIBS
04-06-2018, 02:31 PM
Another that sticks in my mind for some strange reason (and as it happens very relevant to events these days), is during the commentary of “The Greatest Game” when BBC’s Alistair Alexander reminds everyone that the day is 1st January 1973, the day U.K. officially Joined the EEC (now EU).

Yeah - appreciate it’s totally unrelated to football or indeed anything directly to do with Hibs, but it’s weird how certain things stick in your mind.
Mentioned that.Stuck in my mind too.

:thumbsup:

SideBurns
04-06-2018, 02:42 PM

Same commentary: "Edwards - the only Hibs forward who hasn't scored. THEY'RE TRYING TO LAY IT ON FOR HIM!"

Not even half-time yet.

BILLYHIBS
04-06-2018, 02:47 PM
Same commentary: "Edwards - the only Hibs forward who hasn't scored. THEY'RE TRYING TO LAY IT ON FOR HIM!"

Not even half-time yet.
Donald Ford never scored against the HIBS.

Smartie
04-06-2018, 02:48 PM
"Hibs on the prowl again..... in a menacing mood, twisting, turning, lovely one twoooo . . . . that. is. absolutely wonderful by Russel Latapy"

Ian Crocker has had some fine moments as a commentator on Hibs games.

essexhibee
04-06-2018, 02:54 PM
"Hibs on the prowl again..... in a menacing mood, twisting, turning, lovely one twoooo . . . . that. is. absolutely wonderful by Russel Latapy"

I like him as a commentator :agree: . I mean Hendo to deliver goes without saying but I particularly liked his "Hibs are standing on the brink of history"

Nice exert from a interview with him below on the final...

Crocker also has his voice indelibly marked on another piece of Hibs history, commentating on their historic Scottish Cup triumph this May – as they claimed the trophy for the first time in 114 years. So how did he keep his cool after David Gray’s stoppage time winner saw off Rangers?
“I wrote a column for the SFA’s match day programme for the final and said “it’s got to happen one day, hasn’t it?” I mean, 114 years, come on! I’d tipped Rangers to beat Celtic in the semi’s but I just fancied this might be the time for Hibs, at long last. I’m happy with the commentary on David Gray’s winner but I didn’t really know what I’d said at the time. Before the corner is taken I cried, “what a moment this is.” I don’t even remember saying that at the time but it sure turned into a moment! I’ve seen my commentary on an impressive framed sketch of the winning goal and am told some Hibs fans have it as their ringtone. Once again, very humbling. I was just trying to capture the moment and if I managed it then that’s a relief!”
“You are basically ad-libbing, not knowing what to expect over the course of the 90 minutes. But at 2-2 during the Cup Final I suddenly thought ‘blimey what do I say if Hibs actually do this?’ I decided on “Hibs are standing on the brink of history” and snuck it on the winner. The goal came so late they weren’t standing there for long, they’d soon made history!”

1van Sprou7e
04-06-2018, 02:56 PM

He definitely seems to have a soft spot for hibs

snooky
04-06-2018, 03:00 PM
The one I remember is from the Napoli game when we scored the third which meant it was 4-4 and our away goal was taking us through. The commentator said something along the lines of this.....

"Hibs now in the odd dilemma whether to tighten up or go for more .......... GOOOOOOAL!!!!!!!"
(4-0 :greengrin)

heidtheba
04-06-2018, 03:04 PM
"They've only gone and done it, they've only gone and won the Scottish Cup"

"Hibs, what kept you"

hibby6270
04-06-2018, 03:44 PM
Mentioned that.Stuck in my mind too.

:thumbsup:

LOL. Just noticed that. Hadn’t read the earlier part of the thread. D’oh!!

Bobo
04-06-2018, 06:33 PM
Donald Ford never scored against the HIBS.

He did in the 4-1 defeat at the dump, next game after the 0-7

Billy Whizz
04-06-2018, 06:40 PM
Twisting, turning, that was absolutely stunning from Russell Latapy, 6 of the best for Hibs😄

One Day Soon
04-06-2018, 06:45 PM
"They've only gone and done it, they've only gone and won the Scottish Cup"

"Hibs, what kept you"

This, this is it. I get wet eyes just reading that.

Wee Effen Bee
04-06-2018, 07:37 PM
I prefer the Huns SC commentary: “Aw naw!” Cannae best it!

hibby6270
04-06-2018, 08:02 PM
I prefer the Huns SC commentary: “Aw naw!” Cannae best it!

Aye. What I said - earlier.:agree::wink:

BILLYHIBS
04-06-2018, 08:10 PM
He did in the 4-1 defeat at the dump, next game after the 0-7
Yeah, that commentator had too much to say was just tempting fate should have kept his mouth shut!
:wink:

weecounty hibby
04-06-2018, 08:25 PM
"At last, at last, at last. What kept you Hibs!" Fabulous words at a fabulous time on a fabulous day

theonlywayisup
05-06-2018, 05:39 AM
Aw naw!!

Classic, one of my favourites!