PDA

View Full Version : Jamie MacLaren selected for Australia Final WC Squad

Forza Fred
28-05-2018, 05:51 AM
Jamie MacLaren has rejoined Australia’s World Cup squad at a training camp in Turkey.

He was added over concerns to one of the strikers, Tomi Juric’s,fitness.

The coach said ‘it was only fair to give Jamie the opportunity to show what he can do’

JimBHibees
28-05-2018, 05:58 AM
Jamie MacLaren has rejoined Australia’s World Cup squad at a training camp in Turkey.

He was added over concerns to one of the strikers, Tomi Juric’s,fitness.

The coach said ‘it was only fair to give Jamie the opportunity to show what he can do’

Good news hope he gets in the squad.

Heisenberg
28-05-2018, 06:14 AM
Fantastic news for him. Hope he makes it and doesn’t get cut again.

28-05-2018, 07:00 AM
Chuffed for him, well deserved. Here's hoping we get him signed up, preferably before the World Cup starts.

HibbyDave
28-05-2018, 08:10 AM
Would he be back in time for Europa Cup? Cantvremember world cup dates but surely back by mid July?

Sammy7nil
28-05-2018, 08:19 AM
Would he be back in time for Europa Cup? Cantvremember world cup dates but surely back by mid July?

The semis are mid July so depends how far they get. I would be surprised if he was back before the end of July he will need a break.

Billy Whizz
28-05-2018, 08:30 AM
The semis are mid July so depends how far they get. I would be surprised if he was back before the end of July he will need a break.

He’s just had a 2 week break. Still a chance he won’t be going with them though

sean04
28-05-2018, 08:36 AM
I think it makes it more difficult for us to sign him if he makes the world cup

Sammy7nil
28-05-2018, 08:37 AM
I think it makes it more difficult for us to sign him if he makes the world cup

100% :agree: especially if he gets a game

BlackSheep
28-05-2018, 08:56 AM
He wouldn’t be back before the Europa League games, the World Cup Final is in July 15th... our first match is July 12th.

That and he would need a break.

Oh and he hasn’t signed for us yet anyway 😂

AndyB_70
28-05-2018, 09:03 AM
So if he gets a game and actually plays and scores that puts him in a massive shop window. No chance he'll be coming back after that. I don't think he'd be coming back anyway but hope to be proved wrong.

Billy Whizz
28-05-2018, 09:06 AM
He wouldn’t be back before the Europa League games, the World Cup Final is in July 15th... our first match is July 12th.

That and he would need a break.

Oh and he hasn’t signed for us yet anyway 😂

Australia play their last group game on 26th June, they’ve got a tough group, can’t see them progressing though

Jamie wants to comeback to Hibs, but think it maybe too soon for the deal to be concluded before our 1st game in Europe though

heretoday
28-05-2018, 09:06 AM
I hope he's been practising his pens. :greengrin

BlackSheep
28-05-2018, 09:39 AM
Australia play their last group game on 26th June, they’ve got a tough group, can’t see them progressing though

Jamie wants to comeback to Hibs, but think it maybe too soon for the deal to be concluded before our 1st game in Europe though

That and the added registration date for the Europa... not sure if when that is though so I might be talking rubbish!! 😂

28-05-2018, 09:45 AM
I hope he's been practising his pens. :greengrin

Hopefully Kamberi is our no. 1 penalty taker.

Forza Fred
28-05-2018, 09:58 PM

I wouldn’t be surprised if he is never back, other than as a spectator.

AgentDaleCooper
28-05-2018, 10:12 PM
Hope he gets cut, signs for us cheap and goes on to have a glittering career for club and country :aok:

Curried
29-05-2018, 04:14 AM
I see Jamie is now being promoted in an international daily:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/may/28/jamie-maclaren-brought-into-socceroos-world-cup-squad

Good for him......but bad for us I'm afraid:-(

JimBHibees
29-05-2018, 06:30 AM
I see Jamie is now being promoted in an international daily:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/may/28/jamie-maclaren-brought-into-socceroos-world-cup-squad

Good for him......but bad for us I'm afraid:-(

It does say the squad has still to be cut to 23 so fair chance he will be cut again.

Future17
29-05-2018, 08:59 AM
It does say the squad has still to be cut to 23 so fair chance he will be cut again.

I'm not so sure. There was a big reaction to his omission and I think the suggestion is the manager realised he's made a mistake. Not only do they only have one recognised striker (who's struggling with injury), I think he's been disappointed with Cahill's performances in training so far.

I'm going to stick my neck out and say JMac will start their first WC group game.

Forza Fred
29-05-2018, 12:03 PM

I’m not so sure Jim.

Guess time will tell, but there was a fair calling out of the original decision by the fitba media here, which I think has contributed to his call up.

Oz have a couple of friendlies over th3 weekend, so I guess ithey will have a big bearing on his in or out.

On an aside..I’ve been here for 44 years now and the decision has led to more air time and profile on Hibs than the previous 43....in fact it’s still going on and there is even a photie of Jamie in a Hibs strip in the Brisbane daily paper today.......unheard of under normal circumstances!

Curried
29-05-2018, 01:11 PM
I’m not so sure Jim.

Guess time will tell, but there was a fair calling out of the original decision by the fitba media here, which I think has contributed to his call up.

Oz have a couple of friendlies over th3 weekend, so I guess ithey will have a big bearing on his in or out.

On an aside..I’ve been here for 44 years now and the decision has led to more air time and profile on Hibs than the previous 43....in fact it’s still going on and there is even a photie of Jamie in a Hibs strip in the Brisbane daily paper today.......unheard of under normal circumstances!

:agree: Scottish football’s had a bad rap in Australia since Foster got his coupon on SBS about 15 years ago. However, as you point out Fred, it’s pretty much unprecedented seeing so many images and words related to Hibs being published in the MSM in Australia.

Billy Whizz
29-05-2018, 01:16 PM
I’m not so sure Jim.

Anything you can take a photo of, and post on here

Forza Fred
29-05-2018, 03:13 PM
Anything you can take a photo of, and post on here

Technically, I’m an inept Luddite, but there is the photo is on the Australian Hibs&New Zealand Facebook page if you have the required technical wizardry.

Billy Whizz
29-05-2018, 04:31 PM
Technically, I’m an inept Luddite, but there is the photo is on the Australian Hibs&New Zealand Facebook page if you have the required technical wizardry.

I don’t have Facebook, probably have the same technical wizardry as you FF😄

CRAZYHIBBY
29-05-2018, 06:36 PM
Would be good to sign him permanently ......i remember some diddy team...(name escapes me) claiming they were going to be signing world cup stars

Heisenberg
02-06-2018, 08:42 PM
MacLaren has made the final squad for the World Cup. Delighted for him.

Billy Whizz
02-06-2018, 08:44 PM
MacLaren has made the final squad for the World Cup. Delighted for him.

Great news, and all because he was playing and scoring regularly for Hibs
Hope Jamie and his agent remember this!

iwasthere1972
02-06-2018, 08:44 PM
Great news. Pleased for him.

Greenbeard
02-06-2018, 08:46 PM
Great news. Pleased for him.
Aye, good for him. Maybe scunners our chances of a permanent signing tho.

nonshinyfinish
02-06-2018, 08:57 PM
Obviously it lessens our chance of getting him back, but you’d have to be an utter b*****d not to be pleased for him.

Jack Hackett
02-06-2018, 09:05 PM
Obviously it lessens our chance of getting him back, but you’d have to be an utter b*****d not to be pleased for him.

Getting to the WC was his objective and we helped him achieve his goal. While doing that, he did the green jersey proud. Good luck to him in Russia whether he comes back to us or not... though I fear the latter will be the outcome

Craig_HFC
02-06-2018, 09:05 PM
Aye, good for him. Maybe scunners our chances of a permanent signing tho.

Our chances were scunnered when Darmstadt stayed up.

Delighted for him.

Onceinawhile
02-06-2018, 09:37 PM
Happy for him. Gutted for us.

Forza Fred
02-06-2018, 10:16 PM
Great news, and all because he was playing and scoring regularly for Hibs
Hope Jamie and his agent remember this!

Spot on.

Without Hibs Jamie would have been sitting watching the World Cup like the rest of us.

Hibs and Jamie came together at a time when it suited both of them....and both were good for each other.

Glory Lurker
02-06-2018, 10:27 PM
Pleased for him. I’ve no idea about the Australian squad, and who can do what, but his movement off the ball is brilliant and I wonder who they’ve got that is better in that respect.

It’s very important though that his club, and the football world at large, remember that he almost missed a penalty against a newly-formed franchise club and totally messed up a penalty in a stadium with no atmosphere. He’s not worth the risk. If Hibs are stupid enough to want him, more fool them!

CMurdoch
02-06-2018, 10:29 PM
Our chances were scunnered when Darmstadt stayed up.

Delighted for him.

Is the correct answer

RoYO!
02-06-2018, 10:30 PM
Strikers need to be at clubs where they a) play regularly and b) score regularly. Hibs have been a great fit for flo and mclaren. Stay another season and bump up the goals to games, enjoy your football, euro football, and then big move if need be.

CMurdoch
02-06-2018, 10:40 PM
Strikers need to be at clubs where they a) play regularly and b) score regularly. Hibs have been a great fit for flo and mclaren. Stay another season and bump up the goals to games, enjoy your football, euro football, and then big move if need be.

Still has 2 years of his contract with Darmstadt left so they are in the box seat.
You can bet they will try and get a fee for him if they are willing to part.
His Rangers hatrick and now being in the Australian World Cup squad might just have killed any chance we had.
Themz the breaks.

St Pauli Hibee
02-06-2018, 11:27 PM
As it states, really chuffed for him, played really well for us during the second half of the season. Hopefully gets a decent amount of playing time in Russia.

First game v France no pressure 😲😲

neil7908
02-06-2018, 11:42 PM
Delighted for him but looking increasingly unlikely he won't be back at ER.

jockodile
03-06-2018, 12:17 AM
Delighted for him but looking increasingly unlikely he won't be back at ER.

Yes would be unlikely, esp if gets on and does well would Jamie be back at Hibs. But bigger picture this is great for the guy who deserves his shot in Russia after a successful second half of the season.

For Hibs it is one of our starting 11 playing in the World Cup and a very useful soundbite for Petrie next time we have a player sitting on the bench at a bigger club swithering on coming in on loan to us.

Hi Heid Yin
03-06-2018, 12:21 AM
Absolutely delighted for him.
Sadly, we will not see him return to Easter Road.

sambajustice
03-06-2018, 01:12 AM
Why is everyone so down on the chances of getting him?
Where do all the Iceland players play? Half the Ulster and Wales squads for the last Euros were made up of like Kilmarnock and Bristol Rovers type players.

Just because he's in a WC squad doesn't mean he's unattainable

Ozyhibby
03-06-2018, 05:17 AM
Where do all the Iceland players play? Half the Ulster and Wales squads for the last Euros were made up of like Kilmarnock and Bristol Rovers type players.

And it shows other players that coming to Hibs can be good for your career prospects. Well done Jamie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big_Franck
03-06-2018, 06:03 AM

I agree. Jamie now knows that playing regularly and scoring goals for us will get him in the Australia squad. If he'd been cut he might have thought he'd need to be playing at a higher level than us to make the squad. Good luck to the boy.

scoopyboy
03-06-2018, 06:30 AM

I think it's wages and the German club's attitude that is liable to stop him returning as opposed to a WC squad place.

MrRobot
03-06-2018, 09:21 AM
I think it's wages and the German club's attitude that is liable to stop him returning as opposed to a WC squad place.

How much is he on like?

Forza Fred
03-06-2018, 10:50 AM
How much is he on like?

Feedback at the time he signed for Darmstadt was that he would be the highest earner at the club and in the top three in the division.

If he moves on I would expect he’d need to go to an English Championship side to retain what he is rumoured to be on.

jacomo
03-06-2018, 11:16 AM

:agree:

From a football perspective, Jamie has every reason to stay at Hibs. He enjoys it here and we helped him get to the World Cup.

From a financial perspective, unfortunately we don’t hold the player’s registration and we might become priced out of a move. But imo it’s still positive for Hibs that he made the Australia squad.

Paisley Hibby
03-06-2018, 11:36 AM
And it shows other players that coming to Hibs can be good for your career prospects. Well done Jamie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly!

scoopyboy
03-06-2018, 01:39 PM
How much is he on like?

Don't know the figure but he told the players, no way could we match it.

BILLYHIBS
03-06-2018, 01:55 PM
Well done Jamie thanks for the memories. Good luck for the future. I always said you were quality right from day one.They scoffed at you initially but once you were up to speed you were scoring goals for fun just like you did in the A League.I just wish you had started against Hearts on that fateful penultimate game. Your omission upset the rythmn and shape of the team.You were good for HIBS and HIBS were good for you.

Pretty Boy
03-06-2018, 02:41 PM

On the flip side exposure at a big tournament can bump up a players worth.

Michael McGovern is a bang average goalkeeper who kicked about between the Scottish leagues for years. A couple of good performances at the Euros and he was suddenly in high demand and walked away from Hamilton to a top half English Championship side. 2 years later he's been told he's free to leave. That won't matter to him though, he'll have made a lot of money and will pick up a club in League 1 or back in Scotland.

I've no idea what the situation is with MacLaren but I'm sure he'll want to wait until the WC is over to weigh up his options. The potential for a greater range of options is definitely there. If other opportunities arise for us in the meantime then I'm not sure we can afford to hang about.

05-06-2018, 11:18 PM
Sounds like we'll get about £40K thanks to Jamie making the squad. More if they qualify from the group.

http://www.deadlinenews.co.uk/2018/06/05/hibs-will-land-world-cup-windfall-despite-jamie-maclaren-return-to-darmstadt-while-celtic-rangers-and-aberdeen-set-to-cash-in-australia-bert-van-maarwijk-dedryck-boyata-cristian-gamboa-tom-rogic-bruno/

BILLYHIBS
27-06-2018, 05:53 AM
Did not feature at the WC and has told his German club he wants to return to HIBS.
https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/2833750/hibs-jamie-maclaren-sv-darmstadt-easter-road/

link also features hilarious moment a jambo cuts his cake to reveal a green sponge underneath and more rumours about SJM.

Man Down Under
27-06-2018, 08:41 AM
Didn't play, but BBC still mentioned him and Hibs when they mistook him for another player being subbed on in the first game I think it was.

Sent from my SM-J320ZN using Tapatalk

Forza Fred
27-06-2018, 09:47 AM
Questions being asked down here now why he wasn’t used and only a few minutes ago a former captain of Oz named him as the national side’s striker of the future after being asked.

Oz has publicly accepted that we couldn’t hit a coos erse with a banjo during the WC.

Bristolhibby
27-06-2018, 11:06 AM
Did not feature at the WC and has told his German club he wants to return to HIBS.
https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/2833750/hibs-jamie-maclaren-sv-darmstadt-easter-road/

link also features hilarious moment a jambo cuts his cake to reveal a green sponge underneath and more rumours about SJM.

In the grand scheme of things this is good for us. Sad that he didn’t even get 10 minutes, especially as Australia were getting beaten and going home. But if he had played and played a blinder, he may not have been thinking about Hibs.

Come back Jamie!

J

Centre Hawf
27-06-2018, 01:50 PM
It was a win/win for us. We get to see the lad play in a World Cup if he did get any minutes on the park and get to enjoy it, but now he hasn't played he's not on the radar of anyone new.

Billy Whizz
27-06-2018, 02:54 PM
It was a win/win for us. We get to see the lad play in a World Cup if he did get any minutes on the park and get to enjoy it, but now he hasn't played he's not on the radar of anyone new.

And he’ll be fitter than most of our boys, as he’s been training everyday

Gibby the Hibby
27-06-2018, 03:01 PM

My concern with him is the wage he will take up in our budget, He must be on a pretty packet in germany
more than we can offer no doubt, so if we want him im assuming(maybe wrongly) that we need to make
him one fo the top earners.

we badly need more firepower... am still not convinced hes the answer, unless hes taking a serious wage cut
to come, but there is an argument his hattrick v sevco confirmed we shud snap him up if possible, as he seems
to lobe edinburgh and hibs..

1van Sprou7e
27-06-2018, 03:23 PM
My concern with him is the wage he will take up in our budget, He must be on a pretty packet in germany
more than we can offer no doubt, so if we want him im assuming(maybe wrongly) that we need to make

we badly need more firepower... am still not convinced hes the answer, unless hes taking a serious wage cut
to come, but there is an argument his hattrick v sevco confirmed we shud snap him up if possible, as he seems

The way him and Kamberi combined was very impressive, Maclaren is still fairly young and would be well worth the wages imo

BSEJVT
27-06-2018, 03:25 PM

I think that folk (me included) look at Jamie and think he doesn't do much other than score goals

But I also think that that's because folk (me included) don't understand the game well enough to see how a player can influence a game without actually touching the ball, by the positions they adopt and the runs they make and the threat their pace provides, forcing the opponents to adopt different tactics and thereby creating space for others

Even if that last paragraph is utter bollocks, as some will think it is, his goals return alone would make me want us to make every effort to het him if we could :-)

eastcoasthibby
27-06-2018, 03:30 PM
There are other ways off bridging the weekly wage pay gap, win bonuses, goals, assists, appearances, signing on fee ....minimum release clause .....it is interesting with Jamie he can definitely do a job for us, but is there anyone else in the picture ..

Vini1875
27-06-2018, 09:27 PM
Both Kamberi and Maclaren could be very good deals for all parties. A partnership which yields goals for Hibs and potentially big transfer fees. For the players a known partnership that gets them in the shop window for an English club and silly money wages.

Maclaren must see even in his short time at Hibs he has been able to have a profile that got him to the WC.

tamig
27-06-2018, 10:34 PM
I think that folk (me included) look at Jamie and think he doesn't do much other than score goals

But I also think that that's because folk (me included) don't understand the game well enough to see how a player can influence a game without actually touching the ball, by the positions they adopt and the runs they make and the threat their pace provides, forcing the opponents to adopt different tactics and thereby creating space for others

Even if that last paragraph is utter bollocks, as some will think it is, his goals return alone would make me want us to make every effort to het him if we could :-)
I think he contributes far more to the team than just goals. He and Kamberi link up superbly. If he doesn’t come I’d still like to see if Kamberi and Simon Murray could work together.

Austinho
28-06-2018, 04:18 AM
Could Hearts have done us a favour by bringing a load of his Aussie mates to Edinburgh?

PatHead
28-06-2018, 05:50 AM
I think he contributes far more to the team than just goals. He and Kamberi link up superbly. If he doesn’t come I’d still like to see if Kamberi and Simon Murray could work together.

There is Ollie Shaw as well. Knows where the net is and has to make his breakthrough soon.

Jim44
28-06-2018, 12:34 PM
It remains to be seen what effect McLaren’s World Cup inclusion will have on his Darmstadt bosses. As somebody said earlier, he hardly had any opportunity to shine or boost his value. We might get a pleasant surprise and find that the route back to ER is a distinct possibility.