PDA

View Full Version : Abandoned items - no owner

H18 SFR
01-06-2018, 08:57 PM
Is anyone aware of the law when it comes to items abandoned or left behind when a company gets liquidated?

I live near a former railway sidings and yard which has laid untouched in any capacity for nearly a decade. There looks like there are several tons of coal there, I've established that the previous owner of the yard was liquidated and the land couldn't be sold as planning permission wouldn't be granted and it failed to sell as a yard etc.

Is the coal fair game?

snooky
01-06-2018, 09:16 PM
Is anyone aware of the law when it comes to items abandoned or left behind when a company gets liquidated?

I live near a former railway sidings and yard which has laid untouched in any capacity for nearly a decade. There looks like there are several tons of coal there, I've established that the previous owner of the yard was liquidated and the land couldn't be sold as planning permission wouldn't be granted and it failed to sell as a yard etc.

Is the coal fair game?

Put on a high viz jacket, take a clip board, a shovel & a barrow.
You'll probably get away with it. :wink:

H18 SFR
01-06-2018, 09:31 PM

Did think of that. You know what, who is really going to care, just want to fill my coal bunker a few times a year.

danhibees1875
01-06-2018, 09:35 PM

He could probably even charge the council an hourly rate. :agree:

CropleyWasGod
01-06-2018, 09:42 PM

Is the coal fair game?Someone must own the land, Shirley.

If not, it's probably fair game.

Mind you, I've often wondered what would happen if I took a lorryload of sand from Silverknowes beach for my lido.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Hibs Class
01-06-2018, 09:51 PM
Someone must own the land, Shirley.

Mind you, I've often wondered what would happen if I took a lorryload of sand from Silverknowes beach for my lido.

You'd have a lido full of dug*****

CropleyWasGod
01-06-2018, 09:53 PM
You'd have a lido full of dug*****[emoji16]

H18 SFR
01-06-2018, 10:00 PM
Someone must own the land, Shirley.

Its such a weird situation re ownership, I contacted the company who took over the other side of the yard and they said that the land passed to the crown but they disclaimed it which means gave up their interest in it.

If someone can use the land for 12 years they can claim it as their own but I only want the coal lol.

Moulin Yarns
02-06-2018, 08:48 AM
Its such a weird situation re ownership, I contacted the company who took over the other side of the yard and they said that the land passed to the crown but they disclaimed it which means gave up their interest in it.

If someone can use the land for 12 years they can claim it as their own but I only want the coal lol.

store your coal there until the 12 years is up and then you can claim ownership :wink:

H18 SFR
02-06-2018, 12:08 PM
Coal bunker full lads, we will take the blame collectively yeah?

As the song goes, "we are the Hibees, we do what we want...".

calumhibee1
02-06-2018, 12:58 PM
In Scotland ownership would possibly have passed to the Q&LTR. I’ve no idea how long they’d keep it though.

Just Alf
02-06-2018, 02:04 PM
So if you take coal from it for the next 12 years or so (keep records!) then you can apply for the deeds of "your" coal storage yard?????

Seems a cunning plan to me! :greengrin

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

snooky
02-06-2018, 02:05 PM
So if you take coal from it for the next 12 years or so (keep records!) then you can apply for the deeds of "your" coal storage yard?????

Seems a cunning plan to me! :greengrin

That's a load of dross! :wink:

Just Alf
02-06-2018, 02:32 PM
That's a load of dross! :wink:One can dream!!!

I remember reading something similar re taking over an abandoned house.... That was down south tho

speedy_gonzales
02-06-2018, 02:42 PM
One can dream!!!

I remember reading something similar re taking over an abandoned house.... That was down south tho

I heard a story about a guy called Ian White who came across an empty property in Cumberland Street Lane who made some sort of claim/registration against it with the proper authorities (Land Registry???) and after 10 years or so ended up owning it where he then subsequently split the property in two and sold them off. Last year, one of the basement properties sold for £260000+,,,, not had for some!

snooky
02-06-2018, 02:52 PM
One can dream!!!

A whoosh maybe? :dunno:

MSK
03-06-2018, 04:41 AM
I heard a story about a guy called Ian White who came across an empty property in Cumberland Street Lane who made some sort of claim/registration against it with the proper authorities (Land Registry???) and after 10 years or so ended up owning it where he then subsequently split the property in two and sold them off. Last year, one of the basement properties sold for £260000+,,,, not had for some!Wonder if its the same Ian White who owns/owned the Cumberland bar

stoneyburn hibs
03-06-2018, 02:57 PM

Best answer, minus the viz and clipboard.
Just take it man.

H18 SFR
03-06-2018, 03:37 PM
Best answer, minus the viz and clipboard.
Just take it man.

Coal bunker already full mate. Easy.

Just Alf
03-06-2018, 03:45 PM
A whoosh maybe? :dunno:Sigh..... :greengrin