PDA

View Full Version : Franck Sauzee beats Pogba & Anelka in list of France’s best footballers

andybev1
31-05-2018, 03:00 PM
https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/franck-sauzee-beats-pogba-anelka-in-list-of-france-s-best-footballers-1-4747921

Former Hibs fans’ favourite Franck Sauzee has been ranked ahead of players including Paul Pogba, Nicolas Anelka and Dimitri Payet in a new list of the best French footballers in history. Respected French newspaper L’Equipe compiled the list of 100 names, whittling it down from a starting figure of 130. In at number 66 is Sauzee, who spent three years at Hibs where he captained the team as well as helping the Easter Road side win promotion back to the Scottish Premier League and reach the 2001 Scottish Cup final. He was later appointed manager but his time in charge produced just one victory and he was sacked after 69 days. Nevertheless, he is still revered in Leith, where many rate him as one of the best players to ever wear the green and white. The top ten includes several of Sauzee’s former international team mates in Didier Deschamps, Laurent Blanc and Marcel Desailly. The number one spot is held by Zinedine Zidane, while Michel Platini and Thierry Henry take the second and third spots. Just Fontaine is in at No.4 while Deschamps, Raymond Kopa, Lillian Thuram, Fabien Barthez, Blanc and Desailly make up the remainder. While World Cup winners such as Robert Pires, Bernard Lama and Franck Lebeouf don’t even make the top 20, Eric Cantona, the legendary Manchester United forward - and another of Sauzee’s international colleagues - only just scrapes into the top 50 at 46. Former Rangers defender Basile Boli who, like Sauzee, was part of the Marseille team to win the 1992 European Cup, is ranked at No.66 while Jocelyn Angloma, who started in defence in the final, is ranked at 71. Anelka, Pogba and Payet are ranked at 77, 78 and 80 respectively while ex-Hearts midfielder Vincent Guerin is ranked at 93, ahead of Laurent Koscielny in 94 and Patrice Evra (98).

Read more at: https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/franck-sauzee-beats-pogba-anelka-in-list-of-france-s-best-footballers-1-4747921

McSwanky
31-05-2018, 03:05 PM
Did Boli and Sauzee get exactly the same number of votes? :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

....oh no, it's the Evening News, they'll just have got it wrong.

Peevemor
31-05-2018, 03:38 PM
Did Boli and Sauzee get exactly the same number of votes? :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

....oh no, it's the Evening News, they'll just have got it wrong.

Boli is no. 60.

https://www.lequipe.fr/Top/Football/top_100_foot_francais/13/

BILLYHIBS
31-05-2018, 07:10 PM
Le God! Very badly treated in the end by our club.I hope one day he will find it in his heart to return to the Holy Ground to feel the love that the fans still have for him.

There is class there is first class and then there is HIBS class!

:not worth

SanFranHibs
31-05-2018, 07:27 PM
I recently spent some time in Paris and in one of my local bars, The Cock and Bulldog on Rue de Clichy, got talking to a guy in his mid-late 20's , a very pleasant guy, recently relocated from Marseille and a Marseille fan and he had never heard of him. Of course I got the phone out, straight on to YouTube and he watched a couple of Sauzee compilation videos. He was shocked he had never heard of him given that he won the European Cup and was an important part of that team.

Anyhow....still love Sauzee.

:sauzee:

Barman Stanton
31-05-2018, 07:34 PM
I recently spent some time in Paris and in one of my local bars, The Cock and Bulldog on Rue de Clichy, got talking to a guy in his mid-late 20's , a very pleasant guy, recently relocated from Marseille and a Marseille fan and he had never heard of him. Of course I got the phone out, straight on to YouTube and he watched a couple of Sauzee compilation videos. He was shocked he had never heard of him given that he won the European Cup and was an important part of that team.

That’s crazy, imagine Hibs had won the European Cup. Every single Hibs fan would be able to name the team. Most can probably name the Scottish and League Cup winning teams.

hibsbollah
31-05-2018, 07:50 PM

He sounds like a Marseille fan in the same sense that David Cameron is a Villa, wait, West Ham fan.

One Day Soon
31-05-2018, 08:44 PM
Wot, No Gilles Rousset?

BILLYHIBS
31-05-2018, 10:01 PM
Where Jimmy Boko or Freddy Arpinon ??

BILLYHIBS
31-05-2018, 10:03 PM
Boozy??

Austinho
01-06-2018, 01:02 AM
So only the 3rd greatest Frenchman on the list to turn out for Hibs? :greengrin

https://www.hibernianfcpix.com/p/167/04-09-11-ian-murray-testimonial-hibernian-5444647.jpg

15. Patrick Viera (1997-2009)

26. Robert Pires (1996-2004)

66. Franck Sauzée (1988-1993)

Scott Allan Key
01-06-2018, 01:06 AM
So only the 3rd greatest Frenchman on the list to turn out for Hibs? :greengrin

https://www.hibernianfcpix.com/p/167/04-09-11-ian-murray-testimonial-hibernian-5444647.jpg

15. Patrick Viera (1997-2009)

26. Robert Pires (1996-2004)

66. Franck Sauzée (1988-1993)

What was the context of this game? A testimonial?

Austinho
01-06-2018, 01:13 AM
What was the context of this game? A testimonial?Ian Murray's testimonial. :agree:

To save you clicking on the Daily Record article, "Ian Murray, a fan of Arsenal since his schoolboy days, lined up alongside the former Gunners pair, thanks to Vieira's friendship with Hibs cult hero Jimmy Boco."

Scott Allan Key
01-06-2018, 08:08 AM
Ian Murray's testimonial. :agree:

To save you clicking on the Daily Record article, "Ian Murray, a fan of Arsenal since his schoolboy days, lined up alongside the former Gunners pair, thanks to Vieira's friendship with Hibs cult hero Jimmy Boco."

Jimmy Boco, 👋🏿

BILLYHIBS
01-06-2018, 08:22 AM
Zitelli

allezsauzee
01-06-2018, 11:18 AM
Why should anyone be surprised that Sauzee is better thought of than Pogba and Anelka? Other than transfer fees paid for them, those 2 couldn't compete with Le God on any level, he was top class on and off the pitch.

McSwanky
01-06-2018, 11:42 AM
Barthez at number 8 :confused:
Karembeu at number 36 :confused:
Giroud at number 40 :confused:

Michael
01-06-2018, 12:16 PM

Giroud always turns up for France.

jgl07
01-06-2018, 12:21 PM
Where Jimmy Boko or Freddy Arpinon ??

Boko (aka Jean-Marc Adjovi-Bocco) was from Benin.

hibsbollah
01-06-2018, 12:36 PM
Giroud always turns up for France.

:agree: massively underrated player. Just as good as Higuain in that position.

allezsauzee
01-06-2018, 12:37 PM
:agree: massively underrated player. Just as good as Higuain in that position.

underrated and probably played for the wrong club for too long to show his strengths as a target man.

pacorosssco
01-06-2018, 10:33 PM

Yes very strange ratings. Makelele? Position is named after him made it his own so surely higher than Deschamps. Papin broke all kind records.Some talent France have had. Benzema got 4 European cups I'd say good for top ten

MWHIBBIES
01-06-2018, 10:42 PM
Yes very strange ratings. Makelele? Position is named after him made it his own so surely higher than Deschamps. Papin broke all kind records.Some talent France have had. Benzema got 4 European cups I'd say good for top ten
Deschamps was world cup winning captain, that puts him well above Makelele

pacorosssco
01-06-2018, 10:48 PM
Deschamps was world cup winning captain, that puts him well above Makelele

I'd say Makelele played same position as Deschamps and was much better than him. Its not clear how they've made choices. All world cup squad should be top 100 then as greatest honours. Stephan Guivarch an all. Not to mention wilt order higher than Ribery

BILLYHIBS
02-06-2018, 07:02 AM
Boko (aka Jean-Marc Adjovi-Bocco) was from Benin.
Yes! You are correct I was just being flippant and wrongly presumed he was French born a la King Dom.I have been pulled up before for getting my facts wrong.Will definitely check all facts before posting going forward.In retrospect Jimmy Boko should be nowhere near a thread about Le God.

GGTTH

:not worth

ChilliEater
02-06-2018, 08:01 AM

Only if his middle names are "Matty" and "Jack" :greengrin