PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Porteous - How good can he become ?

RossScott1991
31-05-2018, 01:31 PM
Massive season for him coming up. Hopefully we see him more and more, definitely think he is ready to step up week in week out now. Who does he replace ? He’s the ideal long term replacement for Mcgregor as age is sneaking up on big Daz. However a fit McGregor would always get in to team for me until it’s clear his legs have completely gone. Not sure what future holds with Ambrose if there’s any talk of him leaving ?? but he plays right side of the 3 and I think he is one of the better defenders for us at starting attacks out from back. Hopefully we see young porteous play a lot more coming season he’s been brilliant everytime I’ve seen him and he offers more of a threat going up for set pieces than our other centre half’s.

How good do people reckon Porteous can become in the game ? Heard he was outstanding against France U21s yesterday.

Lewiehas2
31-05-2018, 01:34 PM
Think if Efe stays and we play with a back 3 then he comes in for Mcgregor. More mobile, better in the air, better football player

Stevie Reid
31-05-2018, 01:39 PM
Think if Efe stays and we play with a back 3 then he comes in for Mcgregor. More mobile, better in the air, better football player

Daz doesn't lose many headers.

wookie70
31-05-2018, 01:41 PM
Daz is excellent in the air so not sure I agree with that. Porteous looks to me that he will become a right side version of Hanlon with some McGregor grit and aggression. That is close as it gets to a perfect centre half for Hibs

Centre Hawf
31-05-2018, 02:46 PM
I think we may see age catch up with Daz a lot sooner than we think sadly, there's been big signs it already is for me. Porteous will need to be ready from the off imo.

B.H.F.C
31-05-2018, 02:50 PM
Think he’s the natural replacement for McGregor.

Needs to start playing this season IMO or his development is going to suffer. He’s too good a prospect to loan out.

hibbyfraelibby
31-05-2018, 07:27 PM
Think Daz will become next seasons Fonts. Spending most of his time on the bench while Ryan starts most matches.

A Hi-Bee
31-05-2018, 07:29 PM
I think we may see age catch up with Daz a lot sooner than we think sadly, there's been big signs it already is for me. Porteous will need to be ready from the off imo.

I think he is more than ready to step in if required for any of the back three.

Since90+2
31-05-2018, 07:31 PM
He has the potential to be better than both McGregor and Hanlon as he has Darren's strength and aggression and Hanlon's composure on the ball and technique.

If he fulfils his potential he will be sold for big money and be a Scotland regular in his early 20s. The key word is potential though.

SRHibs
31-05-2018, 07:32 PM
He’s the best defensive prospect I can remember. Impressed with him off he park too; comes across really well in interviews. Both Shaw and Porteous seem like intelligent guys.

Jamesie
31-05-2018, 07:35 PM
How long does he have remaining on his contract?

BILLYHIBS
31-05-2018, 07:41 PM
The boy was ready last season .I do not think Lenny can hold him back any longer .In my book he is now a first team regular. The HIBS go marching on!

Big_Franck
31-05-2018, 08:07 PM
How long does he have remaining on his contract?

Another 4 seasons. He signed a 5 year contract that ends June 2022.

I can Porteous becoming a mainstay in our team by Christmas. His goal threat at set pieces will be a big bonus as well.

HibbyAndy
31-05-2018, 08:11 PM
He's the real deal

Future hibs and scotland captain he's that good

Ozyhibby
31-05-2018, 08:11 PM
From what I can see he is better in the air than McGregor and scores more goals as well.
He has to play next season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BILLYHIBS
31-05-2018, 10:08 PM
He's the real deal

Future hibs and scotland captain he's that good
Aye, he can be anything he wants to be important that we nurture him and keep his feet on the ground but seems to be a level headed sensible boy

calumhibee1
31-05-2018, 10:17 PM
Id be tempted to offer him round every Scottish Premiership team outside of OF, Aberdeen and Hearts on a loan until January. I don’t think Daz is ready to be displaced yet but we can’t hold him back much longer. Loaning him out for 6 months would give us the best of both worlds. No point in loaning him to the Championship as he’s way above that level already.

Michael
31-05-2018, 10:26 PM
He looks decent, but I think folk are getting a bit excited. I thought Forster looked top class when he broke into the team.

Smartie
31-05-2018, 10:30 PM
He looks decent, but I think folk are getting a bit excited. I thought Forster looked top class when he broke into the team.

Forster did look class, it has only been his injury proneness that stopped him from playing more games and really kicking on.

He might yet become a very good player.

guthrie01
31-05-2018, 10:32 PM

Forster didn't have the excellent management and training staff Porteus currently is benefiting from. Also he captained the Dev squad to a cup/league double and shown he is more than capable after being thrown into the starting 11 at Ibrox a few months ago and getting the MOTM whilst taking it very calm and confidently.
Based on all this I think it's clear we have a real talent on our hands, it's up to Lennon to get the best out of him and push him to his potential.

MWHIBBIES
31-05-2018, 10:46 PM

Forster was a big laddie who could head the ball, nothing else. Ryan is a real player.

Ozyhibby
31-05-2018, 11:14 PM
Forster’s positional play and concentration were poor. He would often get caught the wrong side of his man. Was good in the air though and chipped in a few goals but that’s about it.
Porteous looks to be a cut above.

Squirrel 1875
31-05-2018, 11:24 PM
People picking on McGregor again. Hillarious. The guys has been incredible for the club and, other than one bad game against hearts at Tynie, hasn’t put a foot wrong.

Probably the same people that thought James McPake was quality...

tamig
31-05-2018, 11:32 PM
Id be tempted to offer him round every Scottish Premiership team outside of OF, Aberdeen and Hearts on a loan until January. I don’t think Daz is ready to be displaced yet but we can’t hold him back much longer. Loaning him out for 6 months would give us the best of both worlds. No point in loaning him to the Championship as he’s way above that level already.
You are joking with this yes? Why would we want to loan him to anyone - let alone some of our potential rivals? He was an important part of the first team squad last season. His opportunities are only going to increase next season.

marleyhib
31-05-2018, 11:50 PM
Excited to see him push on next season, definitely has the talent and his distribution has always impressed me. Efe and Paul both had excellent seasons, I’m not knocking Darren at all, he’s been brilliant for us since he signed but I noticed his limitations at times post split last season, some of this might have been down to his injury. I think it’s time Ryan was starting and I suspect it would be for Darren.

Ozyhibby
01-06-2018, 12:07 AM
Excited to see him push on next season, definitely has the talent and his distribution has always impressed me. Efe and Paul both had excellent seasons, I’m not knocking Darren at all, he’s been brilliant for us since he signed but I noticed his limitations at times post split last season, some of this might have been down to his injury. I think it’s time Ryan was starting and I suspect it would be for Darren.

I also noticed how terrible we were defensively when he wasn’t picked in the last game of the season. [emoji23]
Porteous will break through this season. But no harm in having efe and Darren fighting for places as well.

Forza Fred
01-06-2018, 12:26 AM
I also noticed how terrible we were defensively when he wasn’t picked in the last game of the season. [emoji23]
Porteous will break through this season. But no harm in having efe and Darren fighting for places as well.

Ryan will replace Daz at some point during next season due to simple natural progression.

calumhibee1
01-06-2018, 05:19 AM
You are joking with this yes? Why would we want to loan him to anyone - let alone some of our potential rivals? He was an important part of the first team squad last season. His opportunities are only going to increase next season.

Because he’s more than good enough to be playing top flight football, but he’s probably unlucky that we’re blessed with 3 great experienced centre half’s. He needs to be playing games but I don’t think he’ll dislodge any of the three that currently start, not on a regular basis anyway, not yet. If he could go to a St Johnstone or Motherwell and play every week until January it would do him wonders and he would possibly come back ready to take a place off somebody.

tamig
01-06-2018, 06:25 AM
Because he’s more than good enough to be playing top flight football, but he’s probably unlucky that we’re blessed with 3 great experienced centre half’s. He needs to be playing games but I don’t think he’ll dislodge any of the three that currently start, not on a regular basis anyway, not yet. If he could go to a St Johnstone or Motherwell and play every week until January it would do him wonders and he would possibly come back ready to take a place off somebody.
We’ve seen crisis situations before when one or two centre halves are out injured. What then? Ryan Porteous won’t be going anywhere.

Brightside
01-06-2018, 06:26 AM
I expect him to become one of Scotland’s best ever defenders. He really is that good

bingo70
01-06-2018, 06:34 AM
People picking on McGregor again. Hillarious. The guys has been incredible for the club and, other than one bad game against hearts at Tynie, hasn’t put a foot wrong.

Everybody loves Mcgregor, he’s been a great player and nothing better than him be if our own playing for us.

That said though, age catches up with everyone and I think there was the odd sign that maybe that’s the case with Daz, I’m not suggesting we pack him off to a care home just yet but as the season progresses I think the natural progression is for Porteous to gradually cement his place in the team.

My only concern about Porteous from what I’ve seen of him is that he appears to be a little rash at times, seems to have a tendency to get a bit excited and dive in. Not sure I’d be that happy with him starting in a flat back four just yet but in a three with someone covering I’d have no concerns at all about him playing.

bingo70
01-06-2018, 06:35 AM
I expect him to become one of Scotland’s best ever defenders. He really is that good

Miles too early to be saying stuff like that.

Centre Hawf
01-06-2018, 06:42 AM

No one is picking on him. If i had it my way id have him starting every week for the rest of time. But his body will show (imo has already) signs of his injuries and age catching up to him. No one is sugesting bin him for a journeyman. We just happen to have a very talented centre half needing gametime.

Brightside
01-06-2018, 06:47 AM
Miles too early to be saying stuff like that.

Save this for later. 😉

3pm
01-06-2018, 06:54 AM
McGregor looks like he is being written off a little too early to me.

Time will tell.

JimBHibees
01-06-2018, 06:58 AM
McGregor looks like he is being written off a little too early to me.

Time will tell.

Totally agree probably still our best actual defender. Still got 2 or 3 seasons still in him.

Smartie
01-06-2018, 07:01 AM
Forster’s positional play and concentration were poor. He would often get caught the wrong side of his man. Was good in the air though and chipped in a few goals but that’s about it.
Porteous looks to be a cut above.

He had weaknesses and needed games and experience to work on these weaknesses. He was prevented from doing so by injury.

I share underscore's really high hopes for Porteous. I think he's the real deal, but he needs to be careful because he's at the stage where he needs to kick on and play every week.

calumhibee1
01-06-2018, 07:07 AM
We’ve seen crisis situations before when one or two centre halves are out injured. What then? Ryan Porteous won’t be going anywhere.

Bring in a backup centre half for 6 months or even the season? I’m not saying ship Porteous out because he’s not good enough, he’s more than good enough. But he’ll get even better by playing top flight games and I’m not sure he’ll get that here as often as he could be if he was out in loan right now. I’m sure this time next summer we’ll be looking at him as being a mainstay of our back line, but not yet and that’s more down to Daz, Efe and Hanlon being very good rather than Porteous not being ready.

calumhibee1
01-06-2018, 07:09 AM
He had weaknesses and needed games and experience to work on these weaknesses. He was prevented from doing so by injury.

I share underscore's really high hopes for Porteous. I think he's the real deal, but he needs to be careful because he's at the stage where he needs to kick on and play every week.

Likewise, I thinking Porteous could be one of the best players we’ve produced. I don’t however think he’ll be above any of the 3 regulars in the pecking order yet though and as you said he needs to start playing every week. This is why I’d let him out on loan for 6 months and we could go and get a loan/short time signing to replace him as our backup while he does it. He’d come back a much better player than he already is for it.

Smartie
01-06-2018, 07:12 AM
Likewise, I thinking Porteous could be one of the best players we’ve produced. I don’t however think he’ll be above any of the 3 regulars in the pecking order yet though and as you said he needs to start playing every week. This is why I’d let him out on loan for 6 months and we could go and get a loan/short time signing to replace him as our backup while he does it. He’d come back a much better player than he already is for it.

I agree with you, although I wonder if a loan abroad or to a club at a decent level down South might be better than sending him to one of our rivals?

Speedway
01-06-2018, 07:13 AM
I’d rather he replace Ambrose than McGregor.

calumhibee1
01-06-2018, 07:15 AM
I agree with you, although I wonder if a loan abroad or to a club at a decent level down South might be better than sending him to one of our rivals?

Possibly. Although I think this coming season will be the same story again with the top 4 being the same teams and being quite a bit ahead again, so I wouldn’t be worried about giving him to a Motherwell, St Johnstone etc.

BILLYHIBS
01-06-2018, 07:41 AM
Possibly. Although I think this coming season will be the same story again with the top 4 being the same teams and being quite a bit ahead again, so I wouldn’t be worried about giving him to a Motherwell, St Johnstone etc.
Are you nuts?
If Porteous does not start Lenny will want him as a squad player for cover.I don’t know if you have noticed but good players are hard to find.

yerauldda
01-06-2018, 07:44 AM
I'm afraid I have to agree with Porteous replacing Mcgregor. While Darren has been excellent for the last few years, I'm not so sure he can do 40+ games a season anymore. Also, statistically, he was one of the easiest centre backs in the league to dribble past last season. While it would be harsh to drop him, I think we have someone really special waiting in the wings that can help take us up a level.
If we manage to keep Efe then I would be very excited to see a back three of Ambrose, Porteous & Hanlon. I think playing a back 3 also removes the need to play a defensive midfielder, meaning we would be able to line up something like this next season:

Marciano

Efe Porteous Hanlon

Boyle Slivka Mallan Allan Stevenson

Kamberi New Striker

Brightside
01-06-2018, 07:45 AM
Efe will be away. Ryan will be getting plenty game time this season.

bingo70
01-06-2018, 07:48 AM

If Efe goes someone will be signed to replace him.

It’s up to Porteous to dislodge whatever centre backs start the season, if he’s good enough (which he certainly appears to be) then he’ll get his chance whether that’s covering injuries or suspensions.

tamig
01-06-2018, 07:58 AM
Are you nuts?
If Porteous does not start Lenny will want him as a squad player for cover.I don’t know if you have noticed but good players are hard to find.

My thoughts entirely.

BILLYHIBS
01-06-2018, 08:06 AM
I'm afraid I have to agree with Porteous replacing Mcgregor. While Darren has been excellent for the last few years, I'm not so sure he can do 40+ games a season anymore. Also, statistically, he was one of the easiest centre backs in the league to dribble past last season. While it would be harsh to drop him, I think we have someone really special waiting in the wings that can help take us up a level.
If we manage to keep Efe then I would be very excited to see a back three of Ambrose, Porteous & Hanlon. I think playing a back 3 also removes the need to play a defensive midfielder, meaning we would be able to line up something like this next season:

Marciano

Efe Porteous Hanlon

Boyle Slivka Mallan Allan Stevenson

Kamberi New Striker
Still not convinced by Rocky needs to work on his kicking or can see Lenny losing patience that and the soft goals he loses in between admittedly outstanding saves. I would not right off MacGregor just yet.He had a few niggling injuries towards the end of last year will be aware that his time is coming to an end but will feel the benefit of a summer break. I also feel that Lewis is starting to look tired so will need a wee break as well. I would like to keep Efe even though he is a bombscare we love him. I would also like to see Slivka get a run in the team as he has been very patient. Hopefully we can hang on to Scottie Allan and Flo would like to keep Jamie but looking unlikely the longer it drags on.

calumhibee1
01-06-2018, 08:12 AM
Are you nuts?

And we have a young guy with huge potential who will make no improvements from either

A - sitting on the bench most weeks
B - playing in the under 20s where he is head and shoulders above the whole league

If he’s going to play every week then fair enough, and i wouldn’t have an issue with that, but I think he’ll start he season behind Daz, Efe and Hanlon. Ryan and Hibs, long term, would be better served by him going out on loan if he’s going to be doing either A or B. He’s literally just sitting stagnating if he’s not playing when he could be improving massively playing every week on loan for half the season. We’d be fine for finding a back up centre half to cover while he’s away.

Like I said, if he’s going to start every week then by all means keep him but I don’t think he’ll start the season ahead of our other three centre halves. And let’s keep in mind we might not even play a 3 at the back next season, which would leave him potentially being backup to the backup.

yerauldda
01-06-2018, 08:17 AM

Where do you reckon he will go? Pretty gutted he will be leaving, other than Aberdeen away in the 4-1 defeat, he was excellent last season and that type of CB will be very difficult to replace.

BILLYHIBS
01-06-2018, 08:19 AM
And we have a young guy with huge potential who will make no improvements from either

B - playing in the under 20s where he is head and shoulders above the whole league

If he’s going to play every week then fair enough, and i wouldn’t have an issue with that, but I think he’ll start he season behind Daz, Efe and Hanlon. Ryan and Hibs, long term, would be better served by him going out on loan if he’s going to be doing either A or B. He’s literally just sitting stagnating if he’s not playing when he could be improving massively playing every week on loan for half the season. We’d be fine for finding a back up centre half to cover while he’s away.

Like I said, if he’s going to start every week then by all means keep him but I don’t think he’ll start the season ahead of our other three centre halves. And let’s keep in mind we might not even play a 3 at the back next season, which would leave him potentially being backup to the backup.
The days of Hibernian FC being a charity are long gone Ryan Porteous is ready time to stand up and be counted He stays I am sure Lenny would agree

Barman Stanton
01-06-2018, 08:23 AM
Are you nuts?

Totally agree, no way Porteous will be going out on loan next season. He is ready for the first team, I’m amazed anyone would want to send him on loan.

Souter96Mac
01-06-2018, 08:23 AM
I think Ryan and Oli will taking a further step towards the first team next season, with Murray potentially going on loan, or having the odd appearance like Ryan did the season just gone.

bingo70
01-06-2018, 08:29 AM

I don’t think he needs to start every week.

I’m not sure how many games he played this season but I reckon if he can play 20-25 games for us next season then it’ll be an excellent season for his development.

calumhibee1
01-06-2018, 08:58 AM
I don’t think he needs to start every week.

I’m not sure how many games he played this season but I reckon if he can play 20-25 games for us next season then it’ll be an excellent season for his development.

I’d agree with that, but if he isn’t thought of as being ahead of the other 3 then he won’t play anywhere near that many. He’d be lucky to hit double figures if he starts as 4th choice CB.

If he was to be ahead of one of them then I’d definitely keep him and I’d be more than happy with that.

calumhibee1
01-06-2018, 08:59 AM
The days of Hibernian FC being a charity are long gone Ryan Porteous is ready time to stand up and be counted He stays I am sure Lenny would agree

I have absolutely no idea how Hibs allowing one of their best prospects out on loan to develop his game further to the benefit of Hibs and Porteous himself would make Hibs a charity?

bingo70
01-06-2018, 09:03 AM
I’d agree with that, but if he isn’t thought of as being ahead of the other 3 then he won’t play anywhere near that many. He’d be lucky to hit double figures if he starts as 4th choice CB.

If he was to be ahead of one of them then I’d definitely keep him and I’d be more than happy with that.

I think he’ll start as 4th choice with a preferred system of 3-5-2 which will give him plenty of time for opportunities initially covering injuries and suspensions, from that point it’s over to him to make himself undroppable.

BILLYHIBS
01-06-2018, 09:40 AM
I have absolutely no idea how Hibs allowing one of their best prospects out on loan to develop his game further to the benefit of Hibs and Porteous himself would make Hibs a charity?
Porteous has had his time out on loan with Edinburgh City where by all accounts he was outstanding.
I and others on this thread see no point in HIBS being charitable by lending out our prized asset to another lesser club where we can benefit from the fruits of our investment in this young player as as others have pointed out Ryan Porteous will go on to captain HIBS and play for Scotland he will also play an integral part in our campaign next season.Do you want me to draw you a picture as you appear to be the only one in the camp that wants to put this fine young player out on loan.Are you nuts?

:wink:

calumhibee1
01-06-2018, 10:20 AM
Porteous has had his time out on loan with Edinburgh City where by all accounts he was outstanding.
I and others on this thread see no point in HIBS being charitable by lending out our prized asset to another lesser club where we can benefit from the fruits of our investment in this young player as as others have pointed out Ryan Porteous will go on to captain HIBS and play for Scotland he will also play an integral part in our campaign next season.Do you want me to draw you a picture as you appear to be the only one in the camp that wants to put this fine young player out on loan.Are you nuts?

Ah it all makes sense now. He WILL be Scotland and Hibs captain, I didn’t realise that, must have missed the announcement.

Can I draw you a picture? Daz, Efe and Hanlon start the season as a back 3 (which is far from a given, back 3s aren’t the most common of formations in football, we may well go with a 4). Ryan starts on the bench. The 3 of them made 114 appearances between them last year - an average of 38 each. They do that again next season, which is certainly not that outlandish a claim, that probably leaves 5 or 6 games for Ryan to start. If we go with a 4 at the back, that’s even less games for him to start in seeing as one of Daz, Efe or Paul would probably be on the bench aswell. Where’s he supposed to carry on developing from that amount of games? He won’t is the answer. Which is why a loan for half the season may benefit him. He could be playing every week at anyone in the bottom 6 in the Scottish Premiership which would help him improve massively. Ryan benefits, Hibs benefit and of course whoever takes him benefits aswell. And we’d have him back by the halfway point where he would potentially be ready to take a spot from one of the other three after his experience out on loan.

BILLYHIBS
01-06-2018, 10:42 AM
Ah it all makes sense now. He WILL be Scotland and Hibs captain, I didn’t realise that, must have missed the announcement.

Can I draw you a picture? Daz, Efe and Hanlon start the season as a back 3 (which is far from a given, back 3s aren’t the most common of formations in football, we may well go with a 4). Ryan starts on the bench. The 3 of them made 114 appearances between them last year - an average of 38 each. They do that again next season, which is certainly not that outlandish a claim, that probably leaves 5 or 6 games for Ryan to start. If we go with a 4 at the back, that’s even less games for him to start in seeing as one of Daz, Efe or Paul would probably be on the bench aswell. Where’s he supposed to carry on developing from that amount of games? He won’t is the answer. Which is why a loan for half the season may benefit him. He could be playing every week at anyone in the bottom 6 in the Scottish Premiership which would help him improve massively. Ryan benefits, Hibs benefit and of course whoever takes him benefits aswell. And we’d have him back by the halfway point where he would potentially be ready to take a spot from one of the other three after his experience out on loan.
Going round in circles with this one.No wish to fall out with you over something that is as clear as the nose on your face. The only one who’s opinion really matters is Lenny so I am afraid we will have to agree to disagree.Going forward Lenny will need the strongest pool of players available to him regardless of which formation he decides to employ Porteous will not be going anywhere end of.

calumhibee1
01-06-2018, 10:53 AM
Going round in circles with this one.No wish to fall out with you over something that is as clear as the nose on your face. The only one who’s opinion really matters is Lenny so I am afraid we will have to agree to disagree.Going forward Lenny will need the strongest pool of players available to him regardless of which formation he decides to employ Porteous will not be going anywhere end of.

Don’t get me wrong, I’d love to have Porteous in the squad next season. But imo we need to think a bit more long term with him and consider what will make him a better player in the future, not just who will make the squad better this coming season.

BILLYHIBS
01-06-2018, 11:13 AM
Don’t get me wrong, I’d love to have Porteous in the squad next season. But imo we need to think a bit more long term with him and consider what will make him a better player in the future, not just who will make the squad better this coming season.
No worries Callum been nice having a wee bit banter with you It is what forums are all about.If Ryan goes out on loan have made a mental note to contact you and eat humble pie-might even buy you a pint- but I doubt it.

GGTTH

Smartie
01-06-2018, 11:20 AM
Paul Hanlon and Darren McGregor have missed chunks of their careers through injury without exactly being injury-prone. If either of them were to get an injury that kept them out for 2-3 months then that might be exactly the type of opportunity that Porteous has been needing. If he had gone out on loan and such an injury happened then we'd look very daft indeed by getting rid of the ideal solution on loan then relying heavily on (potentially) an inferior player.

But I agree that for now he is 4th choice, and that he needs to be playing every week. Hanging onto him until Christmas and him only getting the odd few minutes here and there would stunt his development and surely frustrate the player himself.

It's a tricky one.

BILLYHIBS
01-06-2018, 11:25 AM
Paul Hanlon and Darren McGregor have missed chunks of their careers through injury without exactly being injury-prone. If either of them were to get an injury that kept them out for 2-3 months then that might be exactly the type of opportunity that Porteous has been needing. If he had gone out on loan and such an injury happened then we'd look very daft indeed by getting rid of the ideal solution on loan then potentially relying heavily on (potentially) an inferior player.

But I agree that for now he is 4th choice, and that he needs to be playing every week. Hanging onto him until Christmas and him only getting the odd few minutes here and there would stunt his development and surely frustrate the player himself.

It's a tricky one.
Yeah very tricky for the young player but I still think Lenny now sees him as being a member of his first team squad hopefully this will be the season that he gets a run in the team and establishes himself.

Billy Whizz
01-06-2018, 04:53 PM
Yeah very tricky for the young player but I still think Lenny now sees him as being a member of his first team squad hopefully this will be the season that he gets a run in the team and establishes himself.

Lennon said earlier in the week the both Ryan and Oli would be members of the 1st team squad next season, and it would save the club a fortune
He also said Fraser Murray has a bit to go, so expect him to go out on a Development loan, or whatever they’ll call them next season

BILLYHIBS
01-06-2018, 06:12 PM
Lennon said earlier in the week the both Ryan and Oli would be members of the 1st team squad next season, and it would save the club a fortune
He also said Fraser Murray has a bit to go, so expect him to go out on a Development loan, or whatever they’ll call them next season
Thanks for that Billy my pint looks safe.

:thumbsup:

indiejak1413
02-06-2018, 08:22 PM
I very much doubt Porteous will be able to put any of the 3 main CH out of the team next season. He'll not be allowed to go out on loan and be playing 20s football week in week out. If he played for any other SPL club he would be a certain starter. It's a shame really because he needs to be playing 1st team football not stagnating at a club that probably won't play him.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Bristolhibby
02-06-2018, 08:24 PM
Daz doesn't lose many headers.

He’s also a class defender, who never gives the ball away.

J

Iggy Pope
02-06-2018, 08:26 PM
I very much doubt Porteous will be able to put any of the 3 main CH out of the team next season. He'll not be allowed to go out on loan and be playing 20s football week in week out. If he played for any other SPL club he would be a certain starter. It's a shame really because he needs to be playing 1st team football not stagnating at a club that probably won't play him.

Two players for every position. Ryan will be one of them.

indiejak1413
02-06-2018, 08:31 PM
Two players for every position. Ryan will be one of them.The point is he needs 1st team football for his development. Not sat on the bench or playing 20s.

Billy Whizz
02-06-2018, 08:34 PM
The point is he needs 1st team football for his development. Not sat on the bench or playing 20s.

There’s no 20’s next season, moving to a Reserve League, but I get your point!
He’s only 19, so needs to play well when given a chance, and cement his place in the team. Up to him, he’ll get the opportunities

bingo70
02-06-2018, 08:34 PM
The point is he needs 1st team football for his development. Not sat on the bench or playing 20s.

Breaking into a first team is a gradual process that involves trying to increase the number of games you play each season until you become a regular.

He doesn’t need to start the season as a first choice and he doesn’t need to play every week, if he can get about 20+ games next season it’ll have been a good season for him.

indiejak1413
02-06-2018, 08:45 PM
Breaking into a first team is a gradual process that involves trying to increase the number of games you play each season until you become a regular.

He doesn’t need to start the season as a first choice and he doesn’t need to play every week, if he can get about 20+ games next season it’ll have been a good season for him.I basically agree with you. All I'm saying is I think he'll benefit more by playing 1st team football regularly. Never did the 2 young lads in Celtics back 4 any harm. They became regulars pretty quickly if I recall.

Mibbes Aye
03-06-2018, 06:05 PM
I basically agree with you. All I'm saying is I think he'll benefit more by playing 1st team football regularly. Never did the 2 young lads in Celtics back 4 any harm. They became regulars pretty quickly if I recall.

Celtc only have one young and regular Scottish starter in defence.

I agree that first-team football would be to his benefit. By the same token, playing centre-half is an art. I think it's easier to show well as a full-back at a younger age, playing CH is a position where you learn as you go.

indiejak1413
03-06-2018, 06:15 PM
Celtc only have one young and regular Scottish starter in defence.

I agree that first-team football would be to his benefit. By the same token, playing centre-half is an art. I think it's easier to show well as a full-back at a younger age, playing CH is a position where you learn as you go.Totally agree with you. I just hope Hibs don't stand in his way if he's not getting 1st team football and wants to get loan experience elsewhere.

The Leith Dutch
03-06-2018, 06:34 PM
Totally agree with you. I just hope Hibs don't stand in his way if he's not getting 1st team football and wants to get loan experience elsewhere.

That would surely depend on us getting a Central Defender in that we'd be comfortable playing in the starting XI in case of an injury no?

I know there's Waugh in the under 20s but I'd be concerned if we put Porteous out on loan and sit Waugh on the bench so that would mean we'd need to sign a Central Defender (two if Efe were to move).

As we're currently possibly looking at needing to replace or resign 3 first choice midfielders, 2 first choice strikers and the main attacking bench player I'd be surprised if the club want that extra headache.

WeeRussell
04-06-2018, 12:05 PM
I'm confused - are we sending the Scotland captain on loan to one of our league rivals?

From the few bits I've seen of Porteous, I think he's already a better player than I thought Forster was ever going to be. But it appears a lot of people rated Forster a lot higher than me.

Big season ahead for the lad, and hopefully our team :greengrin

ian cruise
04-06-2018, 12:09 PM
Surely play Ryan and Shaw in the league Cup should they be fit, Murray too, regardless or who else is available or who we face. These guys need games and as Porteous and Shaw showed last season, just because it's more difficult opposition doesn't mean they won't rise to the occasion. That along with the occasional league game when others are rested or injured/suspended should give them a decent amount for their age.

calumhibee1
04-06-2018, 02:06 PM
Surely play Ryan and Shaw in the league Cup should they be fit, Murray too, regardless or who else is available or who we face. These guys need games and as Porteous and Shaw showed last season, just because it's more difficult opposition doesn't mean they won't rise to the occasion. That along with the occasional league game when others are rested or injured/suspended should give them a decent amount for their age.

No thanks. We go into the league cup in the last 16, two wins away from Hampden. We can’t afford to go tinkering with the starting line up for one of the two competitions we can realistically win.

Ozyhibby
04-06-2018, 02:13 PM
No thanks. We go into the league cup in the last 16, two wins away from Hampden. We can’t afford to go tinkering with the starting line up for one of the two competitions we can realistically win.

100%.
Not sure why people want to devalue the League cup like that. Let’s not get like England where finishing 4th is more important than winning the FA cup.

flash
04-06-2018, 02:17 PM
Playing Porteous isn't tinkering. He will be the best centre half in the club if he gets a decent run.

blackpoolhibs
04-06-2018, 04:48 PM
If he's good enough he will force his way in. It would also be madness to send a player out on loan, then sign someone to be a 3rd or 4th choice who is not as good as the one sent out.

He will get plenty of game time this season, he's 19 and has plenty of time to improve at Hibs.

DavidDavidGray
04-06-2018, 05:33 PM
It’s harsh on McGregor but Porteous has to become a regular come next season. Boy is already good enough and is still a teenager. His potential is frightening. Not playing him due to sentimental value is doing the club a disservice. McGregor has been class for us but it’s Porteous’ time now.

superfurryhibby
04-06-2018, 05:51 PM
If he's good enough he will force his way in. It would also be madness to send a player out on loan, then sign someone to be a 3rd or 4th choice who is not as good as the one sent out.

He will get plenty of game time this season, he's 19 and has plenty of time to improve at Hibs.

Exactly.

Surely we all actually know this is the bottom line? Talk of loans and signing other centre halfs is quite bizarre.

As you say, Porteous will get every opportunity to play in the first team. There are a lot of experienced players in our defence, in all positions. He’ll gain a lot from playing alongside them. He needs to play well enough to merit it, sentiment won’t keep him out of the side if he’s ready for it.

Smartie
04-06-2018, 06:00 PM
Centre-half hasn't often been a problem position for us (compared to right-back, up front etc which have been in the past).

Has there ever been a time when a youngster has faced a stiffer task getting into the first team? Having McGregor, Ambrose and Hanlon ahead of you in the pecking order isn't something to be ashamed of.

Porteous would have walked into just about every other Hibs team, even though our centre-halves have often been reasonably strong.

SideBurns
04-06-2018, 06:15 PM
There's surely no danger that Porteous will go out on loan. Last season we had a defensive crisis before a game at Ibrox and he came in to give a MotM performance. We let Fontaine go, Lennon prefers to play 3 centre-halves, and there's still talk of Efe leaving at some point. On top of that, Daz has had injury problems and all centre-halves pick up bookings so we'll see at least one of them serve a suspension.

I'd imagine Porteous will get plenty game time. It wouldn't make sense to allow another team in the same league to benefit from the talent of a Hibs player who is one of the most promising youngsters in the country.

J-C
04-06-2018, 06:33 PM
There's surely no danger that Porteous will go out on loan. Last season we had a defensive crisis before a game at Ibrox and he came in to give a MotM performance. We let Fontaine go, Lennon prefers to play 3 centre-halves, and there's still talk of Efe leaving at some point. On top of that, Daz has had injury problems and all centre-halves pick up bookings so we'll see at least one of them serve a suspension.

I'd imagine Porteous will get plenty game time. It wouldn't make sense to allow another team in the same league to benefit from the talent of a Hibs player who is one of the most promising youngsters in the country.

I don't know if he prefers 3 CH at the back, we had 2 right backs injured and he played Boyle as a makeshift wingback, I think that formation suited us at that point, plus it took away from Doyle's attacking threat due to him having to defend more. We're more balanced with a 4-3-3

shetlandhibee
04-06-2018, 07:15 PM
:agree:
:top marks

danhibees1875
05-06-2018, 06:34 AM
I don't necessarily agree with sending porteous on loan, but I don't think the potential injury crisis is a strong argument. Add a call back clause into any loan and we're covered.

It depends on Lennon's plans and how much involvement he sees Ryan having - Ambrose leaving and McGregor's fitness will both be factors, both of which Lennon knows more about than us.

BILLYHIBS
05-06-2018, 06:52 AM
I don't necessarily agree with sending porteous on loan, but I don't think the potential injury crisis is a strong argument. Add a call back clause into any loan and we're covered.

It depends on Lennon's plans and how much involvement he sees Ryan having - Ambrose leaving and McGregor's fitness will both be factors, both of which Lennon knows more about than us.
I seem to remember not so long ago going to Ibroke and Lewis having to play centre half even although we won I do not think Lenny will want to repeat that experience.As my old boss used to say I can accept grief but not self inflicted grief.I agree that while the boy needs games everyone wants to play he is now an integral part of our first team squad if you are good enough you are old enough he will have to take his chance like everyone else and I am sure he would not want it any other way and as I have already said on this thread he is going nowhere!

Rant over!

calumhibee1
05-06-2018, 07:01 AM
I don't know if he prefers 3 CH at the back, we had 2 right backs injured and he played Boyle as a makeshift wingback, I think that formation suited us at that point, plus it took away from Doyle's attacking threat due to him having to defend more. We're more balanced with a 4-3-3

I think folk are presuming well play a 3 again next season because we did this season. I’d suggest that injuries and the squad we had this season made it the best option for us at the time. Lennon may sign players to avoid that happening again so that we can go with a 4, which is certainly a more conventional formation in football. If that’s the case then Ryan won’t be the backup centre half, but he’ll be the back up to the back up. This is where i feel he could end up stagnating a wee bit which with the potential he has we could really do with avoiding.

danhibees1875
05-06-2018, 07:04 AM
I seem to remember not so long ago going to Ibroke and Lewis having to play centre half even although we won I do not think Lenny will want to repeat that experience.As my old boss used to say I can accept grief but not self inflicted grief.I agree that while the boy needs games everyone wants to play he is now an integral part of our first team squad if you are good enough you are old enough he will have to take his chance like everyone else and I am sure he would not want it any other way and as I have already said on this thread he is going nowhere!

Rant over!

That's why I said add in a call back clause. :aok:

I don't think he'll go on loan, but Lennon will know better than anyone how likely he is to feature and I don't think it would be a disaster if he did go on loan.

J-C
05-06-2018, 07:05 AM
I think folk are presuming well play a 3 again next season because we did this season. I’d suggest that injuries and the squad we had this season made it the best option for us at the time. Lennon may sign players to avoid that happening again so that we can go with a 4, which is certainly a more conventional formation in football. If that’s the case then Ryan won’t be the backup centre half, but he’ll be the back up to the back up. This is where i feel he could end up stagnating a wee bit which with the potential he has we could really do with avoiding.

I still reckon Efe will be away and McGregor aint getting any younger with a few more niggly injuries as you get older, Ryan will get more game time this year, whether it's 3 o r 2 CH's.

BILLYHIBS
05-06-2018, 07:26 AM
That's why I said add in a call back clause. :aok:

I don't think he'll go on loan, but Lennon will know better than anyone how likely he is to feature and I don't think it would be a disaster if he did go on loan.
We do not know how good he really is at our level. He could be anything. He could be another Jordan Forster (who I thought was ok ).To me though what I have seen so far he looks like the real deal.Only Lenny and the coaches will know for sure. The only way we will be able to assess his development is if the boy gets a run of games -ok he is jumping up to the top level -but will only improve through gaining more experience by playing regularly in the first team.I think realistically if he only plays 20 games next season he will be happy with that and will be well on his way to being a regular starter the following season.

There is class there is first class and then there is HIBS class.

ian cruise
05-06-2018, 12:28 PM
100%.
Not sure why people want to devalue the League cup like that. Let’s not get like England where finishing 4th is more important than winning the FA cup.

I'm not devaluing the league Cup, I just rate the two players highly, which is why I specifically mentioned them and didn't say just play all the kids. It's difficult balance to bring through youth players but by them knowing that is their competition to shine in and prove they deserve more starts you've given them incentive to perform at their best. They've both shown against top opposition they're up to the task. It's better than ten minutes or less at the end of a game here and there.

RossScott1991
05-06-2018, 01:31 PM
Out of interest as I haven’t seen anything is there anything to suggest Efe will be leaving us ? Or is it just a general feeling among supporters ? Don’t know if I’ve missed something I just assumed he was certain to be here this season as we seem to get linked with midfielders/attackers and defence seems settled. No noise from lennon about the defence in his rebuilding job