PDA

View Full Version : Hopkin left Livingston

PatHead
31-05-2018, 10:28 AM
Wonder if he is going to Saint Mirren?

Diclonius
31-05-2018, 10:29 AM
I would hope so.

It's a damning indictment of Scottish football that managers are going straight to England for the Championship/League One before they even try the top tier.

Stevie Reid
31-05-2018, 10:31 AM
I would hope so.

It's a damning indictment of Scottish football that managers are going straight to England for the Championship/League One before they even try the top tier.

Similar to Jack Ross in that his stock might never be higher than it is now.

PatHead
31-05-2018, 10:31 AM
I would hope so.

Money talks and management careers are very short.

Jim44
31-05-2018, 10:32 AM

He must have something on the horizon. I was playing in a golf match last year alongside the owner of Livvie and he was waxing lyrical about this guy. He’s done well for them and probably wants to move on to bigger things.

jacomo
31-05-2018, 10:36 AM

Pretty damning if he is swapping one promoted club for another.

Livi fans will be raging and understandably so.

JimBHibees
31-05-2018, 10:39 AM
Also linked with Carlisle. Wouldnt rule out some of the championship teams such as Ross county, I saw a livi player signed for them this week.

brianmc
31-05-2018, 11:14 AM
Looks like Zidane fancies replacing him at Livi 🤔

Sylar
31-05-2018, 11:16 AM
He's recently been linked with a move to Shrewsbury (?), and I'm sure he said himself he saw his future in England if he left Livingston.

Odd that they signed a new player yesterday with the uncertainty surrounding Hopkin.

Onceinawhile
31-05-2018, 11:18 AM
get your money on Livi to do a Brechin next season.

Billy Whizz
31-05-2018, 11:20 AM
He's recently been linked with a move to Shrewsbury (?), and I'm sure he said himself he saw his future in England if he left Livingston.

Odd that they signed a new player yesterday with the uncertainty surrounding Hopkin.

I know Livvi aren’t a big club, but a sad state of affairs when an english league Division 1 club is more attractive than a Scottish Premiership one, if that’s where he’s going!
Apologies to Jonnyboy though😄

GloryGlory
31-05-2018, 11:20 AM

ZZ just left Real Madrid. Co-incidence?

Ryan69
31-05-2018, 11:21 AM

Dont get that. As like with most jobs,if your good at it...Youll last quiet a while.

Stokesy's on fire
31-05-2018, 11:35 AM
Livi fans must be shocked to lose this guy after what he has achieved with very little available funding. St'Mirren would be a good move but i can see Saints taking Grease hair Neilson on. Locke to end up at Livi!

danhibees1875
31-05-2018, 11:39 AM

I've never heard that phrase about management careers, only about football playing careers. I'm not convinced it rings true.

I guess from the perspective that you generally don't start until about 40 then they are, in isolation, short.

Greencore
31-05-2018, 11:39 AM
English money talks again. One of the reasons I don't pay for sky tv.

jgl07
31-05-2018, 11:58 AM

You have lost me with that one.

What the hell has the resignation of a long-ball merchant, noted for industrial football, from a tin pot plastic team got to do with Sky Sports?

Speedway
31-05-2018, 12:00 PM
Angry kid was on a hiding to nothing if he'd stayed.

It might be worth Livi looking at someone like Duff Jimmy or Ian Murray now.

Jamesie
31-05-2018, 12:04 PM
get your money on Livi to do a Brechin next season.

Thought crossed my mind as well - I wonder if his departure comes after hearing how much (or how little) would be invested in the squad? Given he only went on holiday a couple of days ago and was apparently going to think about his future while away, it has been a fairly quick decision. Livi to be relegated by Christmas anyone?

Billy Whizz
31-05-2018, 12:10 PM
You have lost me with that one.

What the hell has the resignation of a long-ball merchant, noted for industrial football, from a tin pot plastic team got to do with Sky Sports?

Think he means that a bang average League 1 team, can pay more and have a bigger budget than a Scottish Premiership team can, due to Sky. That’s if he’s going to League 1, but wouldn’t be surprised if he ends up at St Mirren

CMurdoch
31-05-2018, 04:40 PM

Duff Jimmy or Red Coupon Houston. IM has no positive trackrecord and the Livingston job will be an almost impossible one next season.

Lago
31-05-2018, 04:42 PM
Nope got his eye on a job down South.

CMurdoch

Shrewsbury manager has moved to Ipswich (yesterday) so this is very possible

IGRIGI
Duff Jimmy or Red Coupon Houston. IM has no positive trackrecord and the Livingston job will be an almost impossible one next season.

Houston would be ripping the end off it with the potential usage of the word resources in the Livi job.

Lago
31-05-2018, 04:47 PM
Unfortunately it's all about opportunities & the economies of scale. Scotland cannot compete & it covers more than football.

Smartie
31-05-2018, 04:56 PM

Murray did well at Dumbarton and deserved his chance at St Mirren.

It turns out they were a bit of a basket case and already on a serious downward spiral when he went there.

I'm surprised he hasn't got another job yet, and would expect to see him back in football fairly soon.

Hamish
31-05-2018, 05:48 PM

It turns out they were a bit of a basket case and already on a serious downward spiral when he went there.

I'm surprised he hasn't got another job yet, and would expect to see him back in football fairly soon.

Thought Ian was still in club football in Norway as assistant to Kevin Nicol?

Sounds an ideal job for Yogi if he is interested.

blaikie
31-05-2018, 05:48 PM
Wouldn’t be surprised if Neilson reappeared at Livi

Green Man
31-05-2018, 05:52 PM
I wouldn’t be too surprised to see Hopkin move down south, considering so much of his playing career was spent there.

Billy Whizz
31-05-2018, 05:52 PM

Think I read that he applied for the Albion Rovers gig, didn’t get it though

Hamish
31-05-2018, 05:55 PM
Think I read that he applied for the Albion Rovers gig, didn’t get it though

Ok thanks hadn't seen that.

Heisenberg
31-05-2018, 06:07 PM
Houston to Livi? That’s my guess anyway.

Smartie
31-05-2018, 06:09 PM

I don't think it would be god for his health to be in the same division as us with our reported "biggest ever budget".

Billy Whizz
31-05-2018, 06:09 PM

That’s a long commute on a daily basis

silverhibee
31-05-2018, 06:13 PM
That’s a long commute on a daily basis

Not if you travel by rocket.

PatHead
31-05-2018, 06:19 PM
Not if you travel by rocket.

A rocket for a rocket.

AlbertK86
31-05-2018, 06:27 PM

Murray did well at Dumbarton when he had Jack Ross as hood assistant but once Ross moved on he struggled

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

overdrive
31-05-2018, 06:47 PM
Murray did well at Dumbarton when he had Jack Ross as hood assistant but once Ross moved on he struggled

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think a lot of Murray’s success there initially was also due to him professionalising the club through diet, limited sports science, training methods, etc. It instantly gave them a boost.

barcahibs
31-05-2018, 07:07 PM
Livingston average attendance in a promotion season in the Scottish championship 1300.

Shrewsbury average attendance finishing mid table in English league one 6300

You have to go down to 18th place in the Vanarama national league to find an equivalent attendance in England

Its not just Sky money that makes the difference.

I can see why an ambitious manager would want to move on.

heretoday
31-05-2018, 07:53 PM
It's becoming a cliche. Get your team promoted and eff off while the iron's hot. Seems hard cheese on Livingston.

Borderhibbie76
31-05-2018, 09:35 PM
I don't think it would be god for his health to be in the same division as us with our reported "biggest ever budget".Yes he'd have a nervous breakdown ffs

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Swedish hibee
01-06-2018, 01:49 AM

Sounds an ideal job for Yogi if he is interested.

I know Yogi is best mates with the kit man there, so has been to watch them a few times- you never know.

Sylar
01-06-2018, 09:43 AM
New manager expected to be announced at midday today apparently.

Wouldn't surprise me if it was John Hartson. He's been working on his coaching badges and been part of the Livingston setup this season. Could be his debut foray into management.

JimBHibees
01-06-2018, 09:49 AM

Wouldn't surprise me if it was John Hartson. He's been working on his coaching badges and been part of the Livingston setup this season. Could be his debut foray into management.

Would be a huge gamble I think would think someone with more experience.

Billy Whizz
01-06-2018, 09:57 AM

Not hanging about it then, must have known DK was ofdski

Sylar
01-06-2018, 11:18 AM

Nope, just a contract extension for one of their players (Shaun Byrne).

You ****ing clueless moron :greengrin

CMurdoch
01-06-2018, 12:48 PM
I wouldn’t be too surprised to see Hopkin move down south, considering so much of his playing career was spent there.

Shrewsbury post filled.
was touted for Bradford City
He is an ex Leeds player and they have sacked their manager this morning.
However, they are a bit billy big bawz so can see them wanting a sexier name for the post.

ian cruise
01-06-2018, 12:52 PM
Nope, just a contract extension for one of their players (Shaun Byrne).

You ****ing clueless moron :greengrin

I wouldn't pay too much attention to that guy's posts, he just talks nonsense....

Sylar
01-06-2018, 12:52 PM
I wouldn't pay too much attention to that guy's posts, he just talks nonsense....

The problem is, he never ****ing shuts up! I mean, seriously :rolleyes:

offshorehibby
01-06-2018, 04:41 PM
I see Leeds have sacked their 532nd manager this year, did he he not play there.

Dashing Bob S
01-06-2018, 05:51 PM

Livi should go with Houston. Has done a great job on limited resources or so he keeps telling us.

Jonnyboy
02-06-2018, 08:09 PM
I know Livvi aren’t a big club, but a sad state of affairs when an english league Division 1 club is more attractive than a Scottish Premiership one, if that’s where he’s going!
Apologies to Jonnyboy though😄

:furious:

:greengrin

BullsCloseHibs
03-06-2018, 12:58 PM
Hopkin must be the most unhealthy looking football boss around. Overweight and massive jugs, he's like some doorman from Budapest.

Kaff
03-06-2018, 04:23 PM
Hopkin must be the most unhealthy looking football boss around. Overweight and massive jugs, he's like some doorman from Budapest.

Hang on, that's my wife you're talking about!

jacomo
03-06-2018, 04:29 PM

A lot of footballers in UK make it because they are heavy set and physically bigger than most of their age group.

Playing and training keeps their weight in check... but once they retire they will balloon in weight unless they maintain a strict discipline.

HibbyAndy
03-06-2018, 04:37 PM
Hang on, that's my wife you're talking about!

:tee hee: