PDA

View Full Version : Official Site: PAT MCGINLAY REFLECTS ON HIS HIBERNIAN CAREER

RSS Bot
30-05-2018, 02:00 PM
More... (http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/8749)

Dalianwanda
30-05-2018, 02:35 PM
Perhaps my favorite Hibs player past or present.

Cabbage East
30-05-2018, 02:38 PM
Definitely up there with one of my favourite Hibs players too.

Centre Hawf
30-05-2018, 02:42 PM
I echo what others have said. He was a prominent figure (upon his return) that coincided with my early years as a Hibs fan. One my favourites.

wpj
30-05-2018, 02:48 PM
Yep, loved pat, also loved Beastie, that was a time when I was a home and away supporter. I never missed a game for about three seasons, great memories, if not always of the football but definitely the supporters and some of the laughs we had whilst travelling.

HUTCHYHIBBY
30-05-2018, 02:53 PM
Perhaps my favorite Hibs player past or present.

Hugely under rated, IIRC he ended up Celtics top scorer one of the seasons he was there, it'll be a while until that happens again (a midfielder finishing top scorer, without checking to see if my memory is playing tricks on me).

Iggy Pope
30-05-2018, 02:56 PM
Hugely under rated, IIRC he ended up Celtics top scorer one of the seasons he was there, it'll be a while until that happens again (a midfielder finishing top scorer without checking to see if my mind is playing tricks on me).

If I recall right he was still their top scorer when he came back to us, and for a while afterwards. Maybe I made that up to score points at the time but I don't think so. And on a previous theme, we paid money for him to come back.

stoneyburn hibs
30-05-2018, 02:56 PM
Hugely under rated, IIRC he ended up Celtics top scorer one of the seasons he was there, it'll be a while until that happens again (a midfielder finishing top scorer without checking to see if my mind is playing tricks on me).

I think the season he was their top scorer preceded the season he came back. Great player.

HUTCHYHIBBY
30-05-2018, 03:01 PM
If I recall right he was still their top scorer when he came back to us, and for a while afterwards. Maybe I made that up to score points at the time but I don't think so. And on a previous theme, we paid money for him to come back.

Aye, think we made about 100K on the two transfer fees.

Stevie Reid
30-05-2018, 03:01 PM
Loved Pat. Had a look and he scored 70 goals for us and over 100 in his career, superb for a midfielder.

Had a Lampard-like quality of arriving late in the box, and was a composed finisher.

HUTCHYHIBBY
30-05-2018, 03:05 PM
Yep, loved pat, also loved Beastie, that was a time when I was a home and away supporter. I never missed a game for about three seasons, great memories, if not always of the football but definitely the supporters and some of the laughs we had whilst travelling.

I was an "uber fan" in those days too, never felt the need to tell everyone, just got on with it. I suppose social media has to take a fair share of the blame these days.

ekhibee
30-05-2018, 03:06 PM
Contrary to what others are saying, I always thought Pat McGinlay had a lot of ability but was quite a lazy player IMO. His wife used to stand very near me on the old terracing and was always shouting at him to get his arse in gear. Will always remember that cracking goal he scored from behind the half-way line in his second spell with us though.

BILLYHIBS
30-05-2018, 03:06 PM
Still remember his Mrs ( Margaret) in the old stand shouting Cmon Patrick!

Stevie Reid
30-05-2018, 03:09 PM
Contrary to what others are saying, I always thought Pat McGinlay had a lot of ability but was quite a lazy player IMO. His wife used to stand very near me on the old terracing and was always shouting at him to get his arse in gear. Will always remember that cracking goal he scored from behind the half-way line in his second spell with us though.

Pat was very much a box to box midfielder. Don't recall him being lazy at all, unless my memory is playing tricks on me.

JeMeSouviens
30-05-2018, 03:17 PM
Hugely under rated, IIRC he ended up Celtics top scorer one of the seasons he was there, it'll be a while until that happens again (a midfielder finishing top scorer, without checking to see if my memory is playing tricks on me).

Was he not only there (Celtc) one year?

I don't think he hit the heights of his first spell when he came back. He had a great knack of timing his runs to get goals.

Iggy Pope
30-05-2018, 03:18 PM
I was an "uber fan" in those days too, never felt the need to tell everyone, just got on with it. I suppose social media has to take a fair share of the blame these days.

You were :wink:

The man was never lazy. Maybe she wasn't happy about the hoose not getting painted. Lazy Pat McGinlay. Christ. I've heard it all now.

Lago
30-05-2018, 03:30 PM
What can I add, one of the best players I 've seen at ER.

Bishop Hibee
30-05-2018, 03:34 PM
Great player. Scored a lot of goals arriving late in the box. Good in the air too. I think he was originally a Centre Half when he joined us . He’d be worth a fortune these days.

Aalborg Hibs
30-05-2018, 03:59 PM
I remember seeing Pat score a 50-yarder against Kilmarnock in 1997. I think him and Chico were competing against each other for 'most outrageous goal' at the start of that season :wink: , but we all remember how that ended up...

theonlywayisup
30-05-2018, 04:08 PM
Always a favourite player of mine. I've always felt that there's been many a Hibs team in recent years that could have done with a Pat McGinlay.

Has there been any midfielder that's come close to his goal scoring rate since he left?

HibbyAndy
30-05-2018, 04:10 PM
One of my favourite ever players.

SideBurns
30-05-2018, 04:25 PM
Free transfer from Blackpool originally - one of Miller's best signings. Not hugely tall, but dangerous in the air from crosses (a bit like Kano in that regard).

superfurryhibby
30-05-2018, 04:38 PM
Free transfer from Blackpool originally - one of Miller's best signings. Not hugely tall, but dangerous in the air from crosses (a bit like Kano in that regard).

McGinlay isn’t as short as Kano. I stood beside him in Tesco’s and was impressed at what good shape he’s in and I also also noticed tha5 he was reasonably tall, c 5’11 I’d say.

Pat undoubtedly had an eye for a goal and he got up and down the pitch very well. He was pretty competitive too, got stuck in when needed.

gogsy23
30-05-2018, 04:47 PM
Defo my favourite player growing up

RoscoHibby
30-05-2018, 04:48 PM
Brilliant player, loved watching him when was younger.

Goal scorer for hibs, number 4, Paaaaaat McGinlay!!!

The Harp
30-05-2018, 07:52 PM
One of our most popular Hibs players of that era. Loved the way Pat would bring the ball down on his chest. Hope he's enjoying life these days.
Still got a large framed photo on my wall of him celebrating with Kenny Miller and Franck during the millennium derby.

Frank Moon
30-05-2018, 08:13 PM
Seem to remember he was actually a sweeper when he first came to us and in the reserves? Can anyone confirm?

Skol
30-05-2018, 08:20 PM
The bookies used to give 16/1 on McGinlay for 1st goal. Well worth a punt

Jonnyboy
30-05-2018, 08:40 PM
Seem to remember he was actually a sweeper when he first came to us and in the reserves? Can anyone confirm?

I believe he was playing in central defence at Blackpool so you might just be right :agree:

Pat was fantastic for Hibs and I don't believe we've ever really replaced him and his late runs into the box although De Graaf came close :wink::greengrin

Sammy7nil
30-05-2018, 09:01 PM
I too was an uber fan at this time :wink: A bit like now it was great watching Hibs then.

Cat Stanton
30-05-2018, 10:31 PM
One of our most popular Hibs players of that era. Loved the way Pat would bring the ball down on his chest. Hope he's enjoying life these days.
Still got a large framed photo on my wall of him celebrating with Kenny Miller and Franck during the millennium derby.

He was certainly one of the better players of that era - although a lot of it wasn't a great era...

Is he not still one of our most expensive signings when we bought him back from Septic? 400k or so - or am I completely making this up?

Captain Trips
30-05-2018, 10:34 PM
One of the greats and a player I will always remember with great fondness.

NadeAteMyLunch!
30-05-2018, 10:37 PM
He was certainly one of the better players of that era - although a lot of it wasn't a great era...

Is he not still one of our most expensive signings when we bought him back from Septic? 400k or so - or am I completely making this up?

Sure we paid £425,000 for him but had got about £500,000 from Celtic for him. My hero growing up, what a player!

BILLYHIBS
31-05-2018, 12:07 AM
I must say I am very surprised and touched at the outpouring of affection and fondness for the efforts of Pat MacGinley for our club expressed by the posters on this thread over the years.It is well deserved he is a cup winning hero and his games to goals ratio for an attacking midfielder puts the current lot to shame. The poster that said that Pat MacGinley was a lazy player must surely have missed out on the whole of the nineties or knows nothing about football.

jakedance
31-05-2018, 07:10 AM
A big favourite of mine. We’ve had some great strikers over the years but I can’t think of another goal scoring midfielder since McGinlay.

BILLYHIBS
31-05-2018, 07:26 AM
62 goals from 320 games from midfield for the cabbage -played top flight football until age 37. Goals per game ratio is almost Malongaesque!!

ekhibee
31-05-2018, 07:33 AM
I am posting this to apologize for my earlier comment regarding McGinlay being lazy, and I'm happy to withdraw that remark. As I did say in my original post, I always thought he had plenty of ability, but didn't always use it. That doesn't mean he was necessarily being lazy at all, and there were certainly at least 1 or 2 games where he was played totally out of position by Miller, and it clearly didn't work in that respect. Scored some great goals though, particularly the one I mentioned from behind the half-way line.

BILLYHIBS
31-05-2018, 07:43 AM
I am posting this to apologize for my earlier comment regarding McGinlay being lazy, and I'm happy to withdraw that remark. As I did say in my original post, I always thought he had plenty of ability, but didn't always use it. That doesn't mean he was necessarily being lazy at all, and there were certainly at least 1 or 2 games where he was played totally out of position by Miller, and it clearly didn't work in that respect. Scored some great goals though, particularly the one I mentioned from behind the half-way line.
No worries mate! Apology accepted.You probably remember him jogging back after making a lung bursting run into the opposition box to get on the end of a ball without success for the umpteenth time.

I would also like to withdraw my comment comparing him to King Dom as Malonga scored 22 from 42 which is over 50% which is pretty damn good but depending on your point of view could be described by some posters as being a lazy b but I suppose with King Dom it was all down to attitude and whether he fancied it or not.

wpj
31-05-2018, 08:35 AM
I must say I am very surprised and touched at the outpouring of affection and fondness for the efforts of Pat MacGinley for our club expressed by the posters on this thread over the years.It is well deserved he is a cup winning hero and his games to goals ratio for an attacking midfielder puts the current lot to shame. The poster that said that Pat MacGinley was a lazy player must surely have missed out on the whole of the nineties or knows nothing about football.

I agree, really nice to see great players appreciated by the fans. I hope in 10 to 20 years Stevenson is the subject for a thread like this. Who else?