PDA

View Full Version : Question Last time 3 Hibs players started for Scotland ?

merseyhibs
30-05-2018, 05:57 AM
Does anyone know ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JimboHibs
30-05-2018, 06:13 AM
Around 5hrs ago.

ACLeith
30-05-2018, 06:16 AM
Time of the Famous Five?

greenginger
30-05-2018, 07:55 AM
Maybe Blackley , Schaedler and Duncan in some warm-up match before '74 World Cup ?

oneone73
30-05-2018, 08:01 AM
Maybe Blackley , Schaedler and Duncan in some warm-up match before '74 World Cup ?

Pretty sure Shades only got one cap - and that was before Nijinsky was capped.

CropleyWasGod
30-05-2018, 08:11 AM
Pretty sure Shades only got one cap - and that was before Nijinsky was capped.

:agree:

Shades got 1 cap; a friendly against West Germany in 73/4. I remember that a lot of his family, who were German, went to the game.

Arthur didn't get capped until 75.

oneone73
30-05-2018, 08:13 AM

Shades got 1 cap; a friendly against West Germany in 73/4. I remember that a lot of his family, who were German, went to the game.

I thought it was East Germany. You're probably right though

CropleyWasGod
30-05-2018, 08:22 AM
I thought it was East Germany. You're probably right though

Wiki says WG, but that's no guarantee :greengrin

BILLYHIBS
30-05-2018, 08:43 AM
Defo West Germany(1974) the land of his father.

Source: The Wee Red Book

CropleyWasGod
30-05-2018, 08:50 AM
Defo West Germany(1974) the land of his father.

Source: The Wee Red Book

Technically, Germany was the land of his father.... :nerd:.... but I agree.

Alan62
30-05-2018, 08:54 AM

Pretty old for a first cap. :wink:

Greenbeard
30-05-2018, 09:08 AM
Does anyone know ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Summer 1973.

Apart from Dalglish and Jordan up front and Martin Buchan at the back, it was all Hibs, with O'Rourke as a used sub too.

Venue was my back garden - a 14-0 humping of England.

BILLYHIBS
30-05-2018, 09:40 AM
10/04/1948 SCOTLAND 0 v 2 ENGLAND

Govan, Shaw and Combe

How sad is that? Bored already.Roll on the new season.

:wink:

brog
30-05-2018, 09:43 AM
Summer 1973.

Apart from Dalglish and Jordan up front and Martin Buchan at the back, it was all Hibs, with O'Rourke as a used sub too.

Venue was my back garden - a 14-0 humping of England.

Can't believe you left Sloop out! LTYF! :greengrin

Forza Fred
30-05-2018, 09:57 AM
Reilly, Smith and Johnstone all played against England on 6 April 1952, in a 1-2 loss at Hampden.

That’s what my missus reckons anyway, and she’s usually right

BILLYHIBS
30-05-2018, 10:05 AM
Reilly, Smith and Johnstone all played against England on 6 April 1952, in a 1-2 loss at Hampden.

That’s what my missus reckons anyway, and she’s usually right
The Oracle has spoken!

Confirmed: The Wee Red Book

Not that I would ever doubt your Mrs. If she says it it must be true.

:not worth

Juniper Greens
30-05-2018, 11:05 AM
2005 was the last time we had 3 on the same pitch (albeit one off when one came on) - Surprising!

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/when-was-the-last-time-hibs-had-three-players-in-the-scotland-team-1-4747021

4 if you count unused sub Deek
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/4420348.stm

BILLYHIBS
30-05-2018, 11:14 AM
2005 was the last time we had 3 on the same pitch (albeit one off when one came on) - Surprising!

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/when-was-the-last-time-hibs-had-three-players-in-the-scotland-team-1-4747021

4 if you count unused sub Deek
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/4420348.stm
Very interesting. Looks good enough for me. Did not think it would be so recent.

:thumbsup:

Forza Fred
30-05-2018, 11:23 AM
The Oracle has spoken!

Confirmed: The Wee Red Book

Not that I would ever doubt your Mrs. If she says it it must be true.

:not worth

She’s slipping ...was a couple after that circa 1954.

Mind you, she was only a wee bairn then and probably just forgot😉

HoboHarry
30-05-2018, 11:32 AM

75? Christ I'm only 55 so there's hope for me yet......

theonlywayisup
30-05-2018, 12:06 PM

Never knew that Schaedler was the son of a German POW. I would be interested to know how this fact was welcomed back in the 70s. My dad, who was from that generation who fought in the war, was not too keen on "the Germans", but kept that opinion to himself and those close to him.

I read that the treatment of the German POW, though strict, was generally humane. The British government introduced a programme of re-education, which was intended to demonstrate to the POWs the evils of the Nazi regime, while promoting the advantages of democracy. Some 25,000 German prisoners remained in the United Kingdom voluntarily after being released from prisoner of war status. I'm assuming that Schaedler's father was one of those, having been born in 1949.

CropleyWasGod
30-05-2018, 12:14 PM
Never knew that Schaedler was the son of a German POW. I would be interested to know how this fact was welcomed back in the 70s. My dad, who was from that generation who fought in the war, was not too keen on "the Germans", but kept that opinion to himself and those close to him.

I read that the treatment of the German POW, though strict, was generally humane. The British government introduced a programme of re-education, which was intended to demonstrate to the POWs the evils of the Nazi regime, while promoting the advantages of democracy. Some 25,000 German prisoners remained in the United Kingdom voluntarily after being released from prisoner of war status. I'm assuming that Schaedler's father was one of those, having been born in 1949.I don't remember any adverse comment about his Dad, but then I was a teenager so maybe just not aware of it.

I do remember the intrigue about his being half-German, though; in those days, that marked him out as being different.

My own Dad is of that generation who grew up being distrustful of all things German, but I'm not aware of him, or his peers, being negative about Shades just because of his parentage.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

BILLYHIBS
30-05-2018, 12:35 PM

I read that the treatment of the German POW, though strict, was generally humane. The British government introduced a programme of re-education, which was intended to demonstrate to the POWs the evils of the Nazi regime, while promoting the advantages of democracy. Some 25,000 German prisoners remained in the United Kingdom voluntarily after being released from prisoner of war status. I'm assuming that Schaedler's father was one of those, having been born in 1949.
I do not remember any prejudice or discrimination against Erich Schaedler at all during the 1970s.I attended HIBS v Morton reserves 1969/70 where he played as a trialist still signed by Stirling Albion.As anyone who knew him will tell you a nicer more pleasant down to earth guy you could not wish to meet.He even invited me and my friend to view the changing rooms run up the tunnel and out onto the hallowed turf after the game.I lost family members during the War to the Germans but it did not cross my mind to hold it against him as he was as Scottish as you and me.His biography Shades is an excellent read.Sadly missed.

ancient hibee
30-05-2018, 12:37 PM
Smith,Reilly and Younger played against England 1956 at Hampden.Johnstone also played but by then was at Man City.So 3 from Hibs,2 from Aberdeen,1 from Falkirk,1 from Charlton,1 from Man City,1 from Airdrie,1 from Celtic and 1 from Rangers.Score was 1-1.My first international.Byrne,Edwards and Taylor all played for England and all dead a year or so later.

Hibby soldier
30-05-2018, 01:08 PM

Greenbeard
30-05-2018, 01:47 PM
Can't believe you left Sloop out! LTYF! :greengrin
Didn't. He was DEFO in the team. Think I might have had 12 or 13 on the park at some stage but the opposition (nane) didn't complain, the Manager (me) didn't notice, the ref (me) didn't care, and the commentator (me) just carried on anyway.

Keith_M
30-05-2018, 02:24 PM
Surely Erich Schaedler's nickname should have been Schaedes, no?

CropleyWasGod
30-05-2018, 02:39 PM
Surely Erich Schaedler's nickname should have been Schaedes, no?Sc for Scotland

Haedes for hell.

It's a Luciferian conspiracy

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Iggy Pope
30-05-2018, 02:52 PM

Didn't matter too much unless you had to write it down and thankfully for him he's missed social media by about 30 years.
Lived up the road from me and served me many an early underage pint in the Vickie. Most people called him Eric but obviously with a silent 'H'.

BILLYHIBS
30-05-2018, 03:01 PM
http://www.hibshistoricaltrust.org.uk/books-publications/shades-the-short-life-and-tragic-death-of-erich-schaedler

jgl07
30-05-2018, 05:27 PM
I don't remember any adverse comment about his Dad, but then I was a teenager so maybe just not aware of it.

I do remember the intrigue about his being half-German, though; in those days, that marked him out as being different.

My own Dad is of that generation who grew up being distrustful of all things German, but I'm not aware of him, or his peers, being negative about Shades just because of his parentage.

It was a lot worse for Bert Trautmann when he signed for Manchester City in 1949. He had been a prisoner of war and a paratrooper not to mention being a former member of the Hitler Youth. There were threats of boycotts particularly from the sizeable Jewish City support base.

It didn't take long to win over the supporters and he went on to become one of the most popular players ever to turn out for the club with over 500 appearances. He played the last 17 minutes of the 1956 Cup Final with a broken neck.

BILLYHIBS
30-05-2018, 06:23 PM
Jorg Albertz (Der Hammer) and Stefan Klos two Huns that did get abuse.

Haymaker
31-05-2018, 02:14 AM
It was a lot worse for Bert Trautmann when he signed for Manchester City in 1949. He had been a prisoner of war and a paratrooper not to mention being a former member of the Hitler Youth. There were threats of boycotts particularly from the sizeable Jewish City support base.

It didn't take long to win over the supporters and he went on to become one of the most popular players ever to turn out for the club with over 500 appearances. He played the last 17 minutes of the 1956 Cup Final with a broken neck.

I remember reading a story about him and the abuse he took when he went to London(east in particular) and Coventry and the like.

Took some balls to deal with it.

BILLYHIBS
31-05-2018, 08:20 AM

Hats off to him either very brave foolhardy or very stupid.I suppose being such an important game for City and the possibility of no subs he took one for the team.Unlike the superstars nowadays Mo Salah taken out of the Champions League final with a dislocated shoulder yet declares himself fit for the World Cup.Our own Michael Nelson much maligned on these threads played on with a dislocated shoulder against Ross County and indeed even managed to score a goal.I felt that Salah could have played on with a strapping in such an important game only because like millions of others I had him as one of the goal scorers .:wink: