PDA

View Full Version : David Narey World Cup

theonlywayisup
29-05-2018, 09:57 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44192166

Remember my dad going bonkers when it went in.

Speedway
29-05-2018, 10:03 PM
An absolute screamer.

Unfortunately it just wound Brazil up.

PatHead
29-05-2018, 10:04 PM
Was at the match. Scotland supporters were taking photos of the scoreboard as we all knew what was coming.

tamig
29-05-2018, 10:07 PM
An absolute screamer.

Unfortunately it just wound Brazil up.

Toe poke all the way.

MB62
30-05-2018, 10:11 AM
Was at the match. Scotland supporters were taking photos of the scoreboard as we all knew what was coming.

We were there too, great day.

green with envy
30-05-2018, 10:42 AM
Was also there - absolutely scorching so it was.

Tinribs
30-05-2018, 04:10 PM
Toe poke all the way.

That was the late great Jimmy Hill wasn't it? I loved his song, wouldn't get away with it now right enough though.

Hibs1969
30-05-2018, 04:13 PM
One of the best goals ever for Scotland against an outstanding Brazil team. That was a great WC.

SideBurns
30-05-2018, 04:20 PM
We were there too, great day.

Sure was MB. That effin train journey fae Malaga tae Seville though...

blackpoolhibs
30-05-2018, 04:22 PM
What a journey from Torremilinos (sp) to seville, hundreds of buses and cars on a crapy single carriage road, which seemed to go on for hours.

Scorchio as mentioned, and got to see the goal from behind that goal, a great trip. :greengrin

son of haggart
30-05-2018, 07:29 PM
What a journey from Torremilinos (sp) to seville, hundreds of buses and cars on a crapy single carriage road, which seemed to go on for hours.

Scorchio as mentioned, and got to see the goal from behind that goal, a great trip. :greengrin

Four of us in a wee sports car an exiled Aussie based scots ship’s chef had hired. Stopped in a cafe off the road, sitting outside and a bus load of Brazilians drew up complete with a football, fit guys in Brazilian strips and their even fitter girlfriends. A challenge ensued and we were totally slaughtered by them, an omen for what was to come.

I admit to crying when Narey’s goal went in. Couldnt believe we were winning

hibeg
30-05-2018, 07:35 PM

We were on a coach from Benelmadena. Long journey to Seville, but what a fortnight that was. 21 years old and in those days we could handle the hangovers. Changed days :greengrin

tamig
30-05-2018, 09:07 PM
That was the late great Jimmy Hill wasn't it? I loved his song, wouldn't get away with it now right enough though.

It was indeed.

“We hate Jimmy Hill,
He’s a .... He’s a ....”

Great times 😀

Ringothedog
30-05-2018, 09:32 PM
Organised a bus from our hotel(Fuengirola Park)up to Seville, we got there and were surprised how quiet it was, then realised we were at the wrong stadium 😂. I agree with others the heat was incredible and it was still in the 90’s at kick off in the evening

SideBurns
30-05-2018, 09:51 PM
It was indeed.

“We hate Jimmy Hill,
He’s a .... He’s a ....”

Great times 😀

I'm sure Jimmy's widow commented on the song a few years ago (not long after his death). Said something (very roughly) along the lines of, he liked the song but he definitely wisnae...

Bobo
30-05-2018, 10:02 PM
I was there too, what a brilliant 2 weeks, although we lost to Brazil the atmosphere was something else, absolutely superb. 👍🏻

Found an old photo I took of the teams lining up, the quality is pretty poor but you get an idea of the size of the crowd. 20843

tamig
30-05-2018, 10:04 PM
I was there too, what a brilliant 2 weeks, although we lost to Brazil the atmosphere was something else, absolutely superb. 👍🏻

Found an old photo I took of the teams lining up, the quality is pretty poor but you get an idea of the size of the crowd. 20843
Superb.

Billy Whizz
30-05-2018, 10:05 PM

Is this the same stadium that Seville/Real Betis currently play at, although it’s been modernised

tamig
30-05-2018, 10:10 PM
Is this the same stadium that Seville/Real Betis currently play at, although it’s been modernised

Its where Seville play. Betis have their own ground.

Correction - it’s actually the Real Betis ground.

Bobo
30-05-2018, 10:11 PM

Not sure if it's the same stadium, it was the Benito Villamarin in 1982?

tamig
30-05-2018, 10:13 PM
Not sure if it's the same stadium, it was the Benito Villamarin in 1982?

Apologies. The two Seville grounds were used in the tournament. Scotland played Brazil at the Betis ground.

Bobo
30-05-2018, 10:25 PM
Apologies. The two Seville grounds were used in the tournament. Scotland played Brazil at the Betis ground.

I couldn't remember whoes ground it was, cheers.

:aok:

blackpoolhibs
31-05-2018, 06:37 AM
I was there too, what a brilliant 2 weeks, although we lost to Brazil the atmosphere was something else, absolutely superb. ����

Is that picture from behind the goal we scored Bobo, as if it is i must have been standing practically right next to you, although could have been about a hundred yards away after we scored. :greengrin

Bobo
31-05-2018, 11:52 AM
Is that picture from behind the goal we scored Bobo, as if it is i must have been standing practically right next to you, although could have been about a hundred yards away after we scored. :greengrin

No it's from the opposite end but I could have probably ended up standing next to you anyway after the goal celebrations. :greengrin

Speedway
31-05-2018, 12:04 PM

That's fantastic!

blackpoolhibs
31-05-2018, 12:40 PM

:greengrin My memory is a little hazy on the game, and cant remember much about anything after the Narey goal, bar the free kick they scored from.

I remember thinking it was never a foul, and it would just be our luck if they scored from it. :greengrin

Was the other stand similar to the one shown in the photo, not that it makes much difference, as i cant remember seeing that one? :wink:

One Day Soon
31-05-2018, 01:00 PM
I'm sure Jimmy's widow commented on the song a few years ago (not long after his death). Said something (very roughly) along the lines of, he liked the song but he definitely wisnae...

Pretty sure he was actually a really decent guy too.

IWasThere2016
31-05-2018, 01:43 PM
Some player Narey. Great goal. Great WC also.

Bearders
31-05-2018, 01:51 PM
:greengrin My memory is a little hazy on the game, and cant remember much about anything after the Narey goal, bar the free kick they scored from.

I remember thinking it was never a foul, and it would just be our luck if they scored from it. :greengrin

Was the other stand similar to the one shown in the photo, not that it makes much difference, as i cant remember seeing that one? :wink:

7 of us from Leith flew from Teeside. Bought tickets for that game from the infamous Glasgow Drug Dealer - B Doran (didn't know that at the time but he drew up outside our bar in his soft top sports car with a couple of dolly birds). Recall a few choruses of "Easy Easy" when we were 1-0 up. Based at Torremolinos in apartments next to Snoopy's Bar and across from the Copa Cabana.

blackpoolhibs
31-05-2018, 02:06 PM
7 of us from Leith flew from Teeside. Bought tickets for that game from the infamous Glasgow Drug Dealer - B Doran (didn't know that at the time but he drew up outside our bar in his soft top sports car with a couple of dolly birds). Recall a few choruses of "Easy Easy" when we were 1-0 up. Based at Torremolinos in apartments next to Snoopy's Bar and across from the Copa Cabana.

Our tickets were a little less cheaper i'd imagine, we went to Malaga's home ground and bought tickets for all 3 games played there, never used the New Zealand v Russia ticket, and they sold us the Brazil ticket too.

Cant remember the prices of the tickets, but remember thinking at the time they were quite cheap for such prestigious games.

Bearders
31-05-2018, 09:58 PM
Our tickets were a little less cheaper i'd imagine, we went to Malaga's home ground and bought tickets for all 3 games played there, never used the New Zealand v Russia ticket, and they sold us the Brazil ticket too.

Cant remember the prices of the tickets, but remember thinking at the time they were quite cheap for such prestigious games.

If I remember correctly Doran charged us a tenner a ticket and we warned him they better not be fakes!!
We also bought tickets for all 3 games and like you never made the NZ Russia game. My mate got photographed for back page of Sunday Mail. Lying on beach at 7 in morning with flag draped over him. Insisted that they paid us 2000 pesetas for beer vouchers😁