PDA

View Full Version : Selling star players

tonyrougier123
29-05-2018, 08:21 PM
first thread guys go easy on ez! I think hibs should resist temptation to sell mcginn, over the years when we've sold a player of quality I've thought with the money we could get a couple really good signings in!(mostly never happened)but in the case of McGinn I'd rather he seen out his contract and enjoyed another season with us.if he's happy with that which he stated.real talent in a hibs top.one of the best I've seen.

iwasthere1972
29-05-2018, 08:47 PM
There's not a hope in hell that we will be turning down millions just for one more season. Be better if he signed a new three year contract but was allowed to leave after a year for minimum £4 million.

Pagan Hibernia
29-05-2018, 08:54 PM
There's not a hope in hell that we will be turning down millions just for one more season. Be better if he signed a new three year contract but was allowed to leave after a year for minimum £4 million.

that would be the perfect scenario.

Jdawg
29-05-2018, 09:14 PM
first thread guys go easy on ez! I think hibs should resist temptation to sell mcginn, over the years when we've sold a player of quality I've thought with the money we could get a couple really good signings in!(mostly never happened)but in the case of McGinn I'd rather he seen out his contract and enjoyed another season with us.if he's happy with that which he stated.real talent in a hibs top.one of the best I've seen.

No chance. Pretty much every club is a selling club, it’s just a case of pecking order. We wil take 2m plus, 3m tops. If that helps us towards the wages for Allan, Mallan, Kamberi and strengthen the squad then all will be good.

YanYansen
30-05-2018, 12:35 AM
No chance. Pretty much every club is a selling club, it’s just a case of pecking order. We wil take 2m plus, 3m tops. If that helps us towards the wages for Allan, Mallan, Kamberi and strengthen the squad then all will be good.

...and then the likes of Celtc sell them for £10m plus...

Ryan69
30-05-2018, 05:22 AM
...and then the likes of Celtc sell them for £10m plus...

Thats another reason that unless he signs a contract,he has tobe sold.
A sell on fee tobe included. 20% would be nice.

Jdawg
30-05-2018, 05:46 AM
...and then the likes of Celtc sell them for £10m plus... and like St Mirren, no doubt that we will have sell on clause too, as will Celtic for Van Dijk (spelling) from his move from Southampton to Liverpool. As I said, it’s how it works. Hibs players will never been selling players for 10m. If he goes to Celtic (which I hope he doesn’t) then of course it raises his profile further with CL football, etc.

Good young player with potential, bigger club will take a chance. If he shines, bigger club come in and so on. Van Dijk is the perfect example. 2m to Celtic, 13m to Southampton, then 75m to Liverpool. He would never have went from Celtic to Liverpool for 75m. We (and any other club) are where we are in the pecking order.

With McGinn, he has a year left. He’s on a couple/few grand a week. 2-3m or so is a very good deal. If he is worth 10m we should be paying him what a 10m should be getting paid then. We can’t therefore
these players move on and take the next step. Same as Celtic, players outgrow them too.

southern hibby
30-05-2018, 06:09 AM
Who’s to say even if we except an offer he’ll go?

Look at MCGeough let his contract run down and McGinn May just do the same. I’m not saying he will but we do not know what agents etc are advising him or what he thinks will be best for him.

6 months time he can sign a pre-contract with whoever he wishes, which could be considerably more money ( wages wise ) than he may get signing now with the signing club having to pay X Anount for him on top of wages.

GGTTH

ian cruise
30-05-2018, 06:10 AM

I understand the sentiment but if the money is right he goes. I'd love to see John play for Hibs as long as possible but if we get 3 million or more, that is enough to allow us to secure the next John McGinn rather than let him go for free and hope the next player of his quality come through our youth ranks. If the offers are for a really low amount he stays (unless it's a move he's pushing for).

We need to keep move forward and that means recouping money for our star players at the right time and reinvesting in the squad, otherwise we're scrabbling round the free transfer market.

ekhibee
30-05-2018, 07:50 AM
Obviously what Hibs don't want is what happened with Riordan who just ran his contract down and we got virtually bugger all for him. Of course it'd be great if McGinn signed a new contract, but IMO that's highly unlikely. Despite the fact he's been a really great player for us, he's not irreplaceable, and there's other really good players out there, hopefully within our price range. The other issue would be wages, and to be quite honest I don't know nearly enough about the wage structure that we have in place to be able to comment on it.

oxymoron
30-05-2018, 12:24 PM
and like St Mirren, no doubt that we will have sell on clause too, as will Celtic for Van Dijk (spelling) from his move from Southampton to Liverpool. As I said, it’s how it works. Hibs players will never been selling players for 10m. If he goes to Celtic (which I hope he doesn’t) then of course it raises his profile further with CL football, etc.

Good young player with potential, bigger club will take a chance. If he shines, bigger club come in and so on. Van Dijk is the perfect example. 2m to Celtic, 13m to Southampton, then 75m to Liverpool. He would never have went from Celtic to Liverpool for 75m. We (and any other club) are where we are in the pecking order.

With McGinn, he has a year left. He’s on a couple/few grand a week. 2-3m or so is a very good deal. If he is worth 10m we should be paying him what a 10m should be getting paid then. We can’t therefore
these players move on and take the next step. Same as Celtic, players outgrow them too.

...in an absolute nutshell. Spot on analysis. :agree:

Thegreenside
30-05-2018, 12:28 PM
Every club in the world except from Real Madrid and Barca sell their top players

KWJ
30-05-2018, 12:32 PM
The money has to be worth more to us than what John McGinn would provide us for the rest of his contract.

While in Europe it'll be one price. Out of Europe and pre deadline day would be another price. In January there'd be a price for if we were competing and another if there wasn't much to play for.

Since90+2
30-05-2018, 12:33 PM
Every club in the world except from Real Madrid and Barca sell their top players

Man city?