PDA

View Full Version : England, Raheem and the English Press

Colr
29-05-2018, 04:55 PM
And so the circus begins again with the Sun ripping into England’s top player before the tournament has even started.

JimBHibees
29-05-2018, 04:58 PM
And so the circus begins again with the Sun ripping into England’s top player before the tournament has even started.

Not sure i bought his story that to honour his dad who was murdered by a gun when Raheem was a kid was to have a big gun tattoo on his leg. Bit odd.

hibee
29-05-2018, 05:04 PM
If he really needed a tattoo of a gun on his leg he could have waited until after the World Cup.

Really can’t understand his suggestion that getting a tattoo of the weapon used to kill his dad is somehow a tribute to him.

Leith Green
29-05-2018, 05:12 PM
I personally think it’s absolutely ridiculous the stick he is getting for this.. There are people up and down the united kingdom with tattoos of daggers and all sorts plastered on their bodies despite our culture for blade crime. Its almost as if people are sitting waiting to be offended , the press certainly cannot wait to shoot their players down , no pun intended 😁

JimBHibees
29-05-2018, 05:13 PM
If he really needed a tattoo of a gun on his leg he could have waited until after the World Cup.

Really can’t understand his suggestion that getting a tattoo of the weapon used to kill his dad is somehow a tribute to him.

Agreed sounds like a made up excuse

cabbageandribs1875
29-05-2018, 05:14 PM
so bizarre, claims it's because his dad got shot when he(raheem) was only 2 years old, so he gets a tattoo of a rifle which will surely remind him ? wtf

cabbageandribs1875
29-05-2018, 05:16 PM

if he's englands top player they won't be in russia very long, imo

*pleasing :)

Colr
29-05-2018, 05:20 PM
Is he eligable to play for Scotland if they really piss him off?

SouthMoroccoStu
29-05-2018, 05:22 PM
The boy's an idiot, and his reasoning (however personal) is even worse

Reminds me of the famous Bill Hicks quip...

But each to their own and the English press have their villain sorted already, before a ball has even been kicked, that has to be a new record!

Arch Stanton
29-05-2018, 05:24 PM

I can actually understand how guns would figure large in someone whose dad had been shot.According to him he shoots with his leg and not with a gun - hardly a shameful message.

Elephant Stone
29-05-2018, 05:27 PM
Not sure i bought his story that to honour his dad who was murdered by a gun when Raheem was a kid was to have a big gun tattoo on his leg. Bit odd.

Maybe he didn't get on with his dad

Hibbyradge
29-05-2018, 05:27 PM

But each to their own and the English press have their villain sorted already, before a ball has even been kicked, that has to be a new record!

Here's another take...

http://newsthump.com/2018/05/29/raheem-sterlings-asks-why-christians-wear-a-medieval-torture-device-round-their-necks/

Colr
29-05-2018, 05:28 PM
This, of course, is only the start of the press ripping into their boys!!

Hibbyradge
29-05-2018, 05:30 PM
According to him he shoots with his leg and not with a gun - hardly a shameful message.

His leg is his rifle. I can understand that.

Johnny_Leith
29-05-2018, 05:31 PM
He can get whatever he wants tattooed on his body. People judging him on the tattoo being a firearm is very narrow minded. What he feels towards the image of a firearm is obviously very deep and he should be able to interpret that image however he sees fit.

matty_f
29-05-2018, 05:38 PM
The English press treat him terribly, to be honest. Looks for all the world to me like a witch hunt.

Colr
29-05-2018, 05:41 PM
The English press treat him terribly, to be honest. Looks for all the world to me like a witch hunt. R4 was contrasting it with the treatment Vardy gets.

They quoted press criticism that Raheem dared to eat a sausage roll in his own Bentley and another were they criticised him for taking a floght on Easyjet.

Feels like they’re picking on him.

Hibee87
29-05-2018, 05:46 PM
Maybe he didn't get on with his dad

He was 2 when it happened. Im sure if you kew that you wouldnt have said what you did. 👍

As for the fall out who cares? His choice to get whatever he wants on his body. And its hardly compareable to gun crime in england. Last i heard kids were not running about with AK47's and a footballer having one tatooed on his leg is going to mean they start to.

CropleyWasGod
29-05-2018, 05:50 PM
He was 2 when it happened. Im sure if you kew that you wouldnt have said what you did. [emoji106]

As for the fall out who cares? His choice to get whatever he wants on his body. And its hardly compareable to gun crime in england. Last i heard kids were not running about with AK47's and a footballer having one tatooed on his leg is going to mean they start to.Those kids that are running around with AK47s have tattoos of Raheem Sterling.

Tommy Robinson told me.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Hibee87
29-05-2018, 06:06 PM
Those kids that are running around with AK47s have tattoos of Raheem Sterling.

Tommy Robinson told me.

😂😂😂

Lago
29-05-2018, 06:12 PM
Unfortunately it's true when they say most footballers brains are in their feet. Certainty appropriate in this case.

Wilson
29-05-2018, 06:16 PM
Unfortunately it's true when they say most footballers brains are in their feet. Certainty appropriate in this case.

Brains in feet. Guns for legs. I suppose anything goes :)

BigT-Hibeez
29-05-2018, 06:17 PM

From a PR team

Mon Dieu4
29-05-2018, 06:20 PM
I don't really get his reasoning behind it and think it was made up on the spot but then again it's not like he's going about with a swastika tattooed on him so he shouldn't have to explain himself to anyone, if the sun did a story on me like that I'd end up getting a tattoo of Murdoch choking on a cock the next day

wpj
29-05-2018, 06:22 PM
He has said it's not finished so maybe cut him some slack until it is? Personally I would get it finished asap to avoid tossers like the Sun making copy of it.

HairyBrain
29-05-2018, 06:23 PM
Maybe the whole team will get plane tattoos to remind them of flying home from the world cup early!

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

JimBHibees
29-05-2018, 06:46 PM
From a PR team

Yes his agent and advisors would have been working for hours on it.

Dashing Bob S
29-05-2018, 07:08 PM

Poundstretcher Islam Ferruz

Lago
29-05-2018, 07:10 PM
:greengrin
Brains in feet. Guns for legs. I suppose anything goes :)

Lendo
29-05-2018, 08:07 PM
With the exception of Piers Morgan who exactly is upset by this?

hibsbollah
29-05-2018, 08:21 PM
I don't really get his reasoning behind it and think it was made up on the spot but then again it's not like he's going about with a swastika tattooed on him so he shouldn't have to explain himself to anyone, if the sun did a story on me like that I'd end up getting a tattoo of Murdoch choking on a cock the next day

:faf:
I think you should get one anyway.

Northern Hibby
29-05-2018, 08:46 PM
I can actually understand how guns would figure large in someone whose dad had been shot.According to him he shoots with his leg and not with a gun - hardly a shameful message.

My thoughts too.

Northern Hibby
29-05-2018, 08:47 PM

🤣

SChibs
29-05-2018, 08:49 PM
Whats gonna happen next? Ban the arsenal badge cause it has a Canon on it and nobody is allowed to call them the gunners anymore.

The_Exile
29-05-2018, 08:53 PM
This is one of the reasons I secretly quite like the World Cup, you could set your watch by the English tabloid press ripping into their team and coming up with scandal after scandal to try and derail their tournament, it's brilliant and I love it :greengrin

Tinribs
29-05-2018, 09:01 PM

I have precisely zero tattoos, but I would consider that one if I ever decide to get one 😀

Viva_Palmeiras
29-05-2018, 09:10 PM
Why does he need to justify his tatoo?
If the same rules applied to all footballers we’d run out of space for much else.

If it is related to his fathers death then how dare anyone tell someone how to manage their grief or statements around it?
Is it threatening / offensive?

Sorry but to me it Read to me like the spokeswoman was intent on getting as much exposure for her cause without first understanding the circumstances. Mary Whitehouse gong for her reaction. Free speech. People are free to do what they want with their bodies as long as it’s not breaking the law. Inciting hatred or whatever. What’s worse is someone imposing their mandates one someone else - argument lost lady. Try a different tack.

Scouse Hibee
29-05-2018, 09:38 PM
Yet another rallying call for the "I want to be offended" brigade.

CropleyWasGod
29-05-2018, 09:43 PM
With the exception of Piers Morgan who exactly is upset by this?

Smith and Wesson?

Thecat23
29-05-2018, 09:44 PM
Who cares, his body his beliefs. It’s not a real gun he won’t rip it off his leg when he scores and shoot anyone. People have tattoos of knives and some have cars. Both have been used to kill people.

It wouldn’t be me but it’s up to him and the English press love to pick on someone when the World Cup rolls in.

A Hi-Bee
29-05-2018, 10:03 PM
I am just waiting on Jason Cumdog Cummings getting a tin of beans tattoo on his left leg, what a stushy that would cause.
Who really cares what tattoo he gets he's English going to the world cup so he is fair game for the red tops to sell papers to the gullible's.
Like someone else says I love it.

McHibby
29-05-2018, 10:57 PM

I agree with this, it seems very weird.

However, the folk demanding he have it lasered off or be dropped from the England squad are the ones I find most offensive. People can get whatever they like tattooed on themselves - however distasteful. I have a severe phobia of spiders, and I genuinely do get freaked out even by tattoos of them. Does that give me the right to demand anyone with a spider tattoo get it removed or else be sacked?!

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
30-05-2018, 01:48 AM

Billions honour Christ with the symbol of the weapon used to kill him...😈

SanFranHibs
30-05-2018, 01:49 AM

Three nails?

Ryan69
30-05-2018, 05:11 AM

Same as the twisted logic of Christianity.
Praising the very thing that Jesus died on. ;)

bigwheel
30-05-2018, 06:15 AM

Isn't it simpler than that though - it's a tattoo - who cares

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RobR27
30-05-2018, 07:57 AM
The stick he's getting is ridiculous, but it is pretty stupid timing on his part.

Hibbyradge
30-05-2018, 10:40 AM
The stick he's getting is ridiculous, but it is pretty stupid timing on his part.

Why?

There's no good or bad time to get a tattoo.

GreenLake
30-05-2018, 10:46 AM

That tatoo still kind of symbolizes a gun if you think of Heckler and Koch.

worcesterhibby
30-05-2018, 10:55 AM
I don't have any tattoos, I'm not a massive fan of Sterling. But I seriously object to that woman demanding that he has the gun tattoo removed. Do we live in a free country or not. She is spreading hate, I actually feel for the guy. Who cares why he chooses to have that tattoo, it's not our business.

hibsbollah
30-05-2018, 11:03 AM
There was actually a phone in and discussion on the radio this morning as I was driving in on this 'story'. Eh? Tattoo outrage? Is this a thing now?

It's actually embarrassing that The Sun sets the agenda about what we talk about. And with the internet it gets worse because we all feel obligated to have an opinion on something which isn't funny or interesting or important. I'm doing it now in fact :grr:

Swedish hibee
30-05-2018, 11:32 AM
I don't get it. If my loved one died by a gun, bomb whatever, I'd never have it as tattoo on my body. But I don't understand half the stuff this generation does! I miss the 90s😄

Liberal Hibby
30-05-2018, 12:15 PM
Is Raheem Sterling a muslim?

Unseen work
30-05-2018, 12:26 PM
I don’t see the issue at all, he got a tattoo of a gun (which isn’t finished) to represent his dad who was killed my one when he was only 2.

He’s absolutely entitled to get whatever tattoo he wants and shouldn’t have to justify it.

I don’t see why anyone cares

Stranraer
30-05-2018, 12:27 PM
if it weren't for the English media I would probably back the team. This "66 again" mentality is irritating and tedious after being alive for several World Cups.

greenlex
30-05-2018, 12:29 PM
Tattoos are stupid.

Hibbyradge
30-05-2018, 12:41 PM
Tattoos are stupid.

You learn something everyday on here.

I didn't even realise they had any intellect, never mind a poor one.

CropleyWasGod
30-05-2018, 12:48 PM
Is Raheem Sterling a muslim?According to a few sites, no.

Tattoos are discouraged by Islam.

Are you thinking that some are playing the religion card?

Stranraer
30-05-2018, 12:51 PM
According to a few sites, no.

tattoo's are banned in Islam, unless you are a convert and had them before hand. Sterling isn't a muslim anyway.

Hibbyradge
30-05-2018, 12:51 PM

They're banned by the Christian bible too.

worcesterhibby
30-05-2018, 01:09 PM
Tattoos are stupid.

Yup

http://i47.tinypic.com/4shemg.jpg

JimBHibees
30-05-2018, 01:50 PM

Sword through the side?

Liberal Hibby
30-05-2018, 02:10 PM

I wouldn't put it past that rag.

Keith_M
30-05-2018, 02:17 PM
A Gun Tattoo to remind you of your Dad being shot?

Before you know it, people will be wearing Crosses round their necks to remember their 'Messiah' being murdered on a Cross.

Oh, wait....

:wink:

GreenLake
30-05-2018, 02:23 PM
A Gun Tattoo to remind you of your Dad being shot?

Before you know it, people will be wearing Crosses round their necks to remember their 'Messiah' being murdered on a Cross.

Oh, wait....

:wink:

They should have more nous.

Scott Allan Key
30-05-2018, 02:28 PM

No, tattoos are not discouraged by Islam. I have one and I’m one. Previously, tattoos were on the surface of the skin and effectively were seen to prevent a full ritual ablution from being possible. As the technique these days is inking under the skin, they are allowed.

AFAIK he isn’t a Muslim. His name Raheem is Arabic and has a meaning in Islam, if he is being picked on because of his name or race, it’s pathetic and wouldn’t surprise me, given redtops’ form.

CropleyWasGod
30-05-2018, 02:37 PM
No, tattoos are not discouraged by Islam. I have one and I’m one. Previously, tattoos were on the surface of the skin and effectively were seen to prevent a full ritual ablution from being possible. As the technique these days is inking under the skin, they are allowed.

AFAIK he isn’t a Muslim. His name Raheem is Arabic and has a meaning in Islam, if he is being picked on because of his name or race, it’s pathetic and wouldn’t surprise me, given redtops’ form.Gotcha thanks [emoji4]

barcahibs
30-05-2018, 05:15 PM
It's a total disgrace.

What's an England footballer, a hero and role model, an English lion, doing with an American rifle tattooed on him?

Whats wrong with a good old fashioned British rifle like an L85? How are we meant to sell these things if footballers are advertising the sexy American equivalent?

In fact he could have avoided all controversy by using one of the L85A1 models which, in the usual tradition of British engineering, didn't actually work so couldn't have shot anybody anyway.

There's just no thought for patriotism these days.

It's his body he can do what he likes with it IMO. He's paid to be a footballer not a role model or political advocate.

wpj
30-05-2018, 09:06 PM
I think (happy to be corected) that the Jewish faith also do not tattoo. I learned this from a Jewish girl who tattood me in Newark North Jersey. Unfortunately the Jews in concentration camps were marked with tattoos. Another example of Jews and Muslims sharing a similar ideal.

Haymaker
31-05-2018, 12:24 AM
I think (happy to be corected) that the Jewish faith also do not tattoo. I learned this from a Jewish girl who tattood me in Newark North Jersey. Unfortunately the Jews in concentration camps were marked with tattoos. Another example of Jews and Muslims sharing a similar ideal.

Correct. My ex Mrs is Jewish and had a tattoo done and was told she couldn't be buried in the Jewish graveyard alongside her family by her local Rabbi because of it.

Basildon Hibs
31-05-2018, 12:53 AM
What?

I actually mean(t) a 'write/love/ok' button' ... :thumbsup:

Haymaker
31-05-2018, 01:54 AM
I actually mean(t) a 'write/love/ok' button' ... :thumbsup:

Ok mate, just it kinda looks like you're saying **** off to a poster for no good reason

wpj
31-05-2018, 05:10 AM
Saw the front page of the sun yesterday and they are really going mental about this tattoo. Maybe he should get a smilie face tattooed onto it. Never knew about his father so can only assume it will form part of a larger work? Also the day I let the sun be any kind of a moral compass is the day I give up on my personal morals.

Phil MaGlass
31-05-2018, 05:17 AM
This is one of the reasons I secretly quite like the World Cup, you could set your watch by the English tabloid press ripping into their team and coming up with scandal after scandal to try and derail their tournament, it's brilliant and I love it :greengrin

This :thumbsup:

NAE NOOKIE
31-05-2018, 10:42 AM
I'm a big fan of Tattoo fixers and this is pretty tame compared to some of the stuff folk get tattooed on themselves.

Not being a fan of pain, self inflicted or otherwise, if I went to get Hibernian FC tattooed on myself I would probably end up with a tat that just said 'Hi' :greengrin

My own personal point of view is that if Mr Sterling thinks getting a big gun tattooed on himself as a memorial to his dad is the thing to do then fair enough that's his choice, but I also think that as memorials go getting a picture of the device used to kill his dad permanently inked on himself is baffling logic ... lucky for him it wasn't dysentery. My honest opinion is that he just thought a big gun would look cool and sort of 'gangsta' without much thought of the fallout it would cause .... I could be wrong of course, but I would need a bit of convincing I am :dunno:

My mum died of a heart attack ..... no *****g way I'm getting a heart tattooed on myself :greengrin

SouthMoroccoStu
31-05-2018, 03:20 PM
Just learned, may well have been on this thread earlier so apologies, but he got this tattoo way back in September 2017

It’s just the first time it’s beem seen

But on the other hand, still think the “reason” behind his tattoo is nothing but pr spin from his management team

I somehow doubt when he was showing it off to his team mates or pals it was followed by the story we’ve been spun

But that’s just my opinion and theory

Shrekko
31-05-2018, 10:17 PM
He hasn’t actually said it’s a tribute to his Dad has he? He’s just making the point that he’d never touch a real gun. It’s something to do with it being on his shooting foot.

Storm in a tea-cup.