PDA

View Full Version : Sleeve Sponsors in Scotland

BlackSheep
29-05-2018, 04:33 PM
With the recent sponsorship addition to Dundee United's socks (link - https://twitter.com/DUFCShop/status/997163582746955776 (http://<span style=&quot;font-family: &quot&quot;>https://twitter.com/DUFCShop/status/997163582746955776</span>)) i was thinking about the new trend in EPL in regard to sleeve sponsors.

Surely this is something Scottish teams should be looking at.... any additional income has to be considered doesn't it?

Yes, I know, a lot of teams have back of shirt sponsors and even shorts sponsors (again see Dundee United as an example) and I know that we don't want to end up looking like F1 cars but i think it definitely should be thought about.

Imagine this and i think many of you would love the idea.....

Thoughts?

Billy Whizz
29-05-2018, 04:35 PM
Do they not have SPFL badges on the sleeves?

BlackSheep
29-05-2018, 04:41 PM
Do they not have SPFL badges on the sleeves?

Yes, but in EPL, the new rules allow for 1 sleeve to have a sponsor and the other to have the League Badge.

Billy Whizz
29-05-2018, 04:43 PM
YEs, but in EPL, the new rules allow for 1 sleeve to have a sponsor and the other to have the League Badge.

Ok, wasn’t aware of the rules!
I’m sure we’ll be looking at it, if the opportunity arises on Scotland

Elephant Stone
29-05-2018, 04:43 PM
There's enough logos/writing on the strips as it is without sticking some insurance company or something's name on the sleeves

Michael
29-05-2018, 04:55 PM
We should go shirt sponsor free. Strips looks so much better without.

BlackSheep
29-05-2018, 04:56 PM
There's enough logos/writing on the strips as it is without sticking some insurance company or something's name on the sleeves

I know its a tricky road to go down, but the sponsored socks is just a joke.... surely this way it could be somewhat vetted?

Elephant Stone
29-05-2018, 05:05 PM
I know its a tricky road to go down, but the sponsored socks is just a joke.... surely this way it could be somewhat vetted?

Not for me mate, the strip already has three companies' names on it. If that's gonna change then it needs to be for fewer logos rather than more. Can't stand the idea of naming stadiums after companies and plastering strips with company names, all that will happen is more and more teams will do it until we get to the stage where everyone is doing it and then no one really gets a competitive advantage over their rivals anyway; all that happens is our strips get less nice and our stadium becomes something like the 'Tony Macaroni (in collaboration with) Sports Direct' arena.

Centre Hawf
29-05-2018, 05:05 PM
If it's the difference in offering a McGeouch enough money to stay, or extends the budget to get in a player we really wanted I'd have sponsors anywhere on our kit.

.Sean.
29-05-2018, 05:51 PM
There’s already one sponsor too many with the sponsors on the back that every team now have. Looks ridiculous.

HH81
29-05-2018, 05:56 PM
A kit is a kit. Get as many sponsors on it as possible if it improves the budget for the manager.

MyJo
29-05-2018, 06:03 PM
If it generates more money for the team then why not. I think Hibs have done a good job over the last few years in striking a balance between getting the sponsors names on the strip and keeping it aesthetically pleasing and in keeping with the kit so as long as they continue in that fashion then don’t see it being an issue

Deeds
29-05-2018, 06:45 PM
Who was the first club to put their crest on a top? I know international teams did it years before...

A Hi-Bee
29-05-2018, 10:27 PM
Would we get the same amount for a short sleeve shirt that we got for a long sleeve shirt.
Anything that brings in more cash for the team on the park is good by me.
Even if this meant renaming one of the stands (we have three to pick from)

Austinho
29-05-2018, 10:53 PM
Absolutely not please - it’s bad enough having one on the back! And 30 Macron logos while we’re at it...

One of the good things about Scottish football is it’s still proper football and we haven’t completely sold our soul to the devil. No Rwandan sleeve sponsors, no popcorn vendors, half and half scarves or official ‘noodle partners’ in sight. Happy to keep it that way.

BlackSheep
30-05-2018, 06:36 AM
Absolutely not please - it’s bad enough having one on the back! And 30 Macron logos while we’re at it...

One of the good things about Scottish football is it’s still proper football and we haven’t completely sold our soul to the devil. No Rwandan sleeve sponsors, no popcorn vendors, half and half scarves or official ‘noodle partners’ in sight. Happy to keep it that way.

I completely understand your point of view but I do think everyone has to remember that these leagues that have ‘sold their soul’ are prospering and teams in them are not risking bankruptcy season after season, I don’t know how many top leagues have team within them that are on the brink, I don’t know how many we have but with Hamilton’s financial issues last year there was talk of them being unable to survive such a loss... surely another revenue stream would be a good thing.

SouthMoroccoStu
30-05-2018, 07:52 AM
If it gives Neil a better budget I’m all for us being turned into an F1 car

Show something that I thought would be a good idea

Saw a team, can’t remember who, walking out with the mascots with a totally different shirt sponsor to the pitch players shirts

The teams main shirt sponsor must have been alcohol or gambling (etc) so not allowed on the kid size shirts

Would be a great idea to sell the space on the front of the kids shirts - we must sell enough of them to be an attractive proposal for a company - as it stands, those shirts are all sponsor free

Just an idea

BILLYHIBS
30-05-2018, 08:56 AM

Spot on! Is it just me but is Scottish Football more exciting than the fare served up down South?It seems to be a lot quicker higher tempo ,skilful and more passionate. Lost count of the amount of English games I lost interest in (all leagues)last season especially as Man City had the league all but won by January.

Brightside
30-05-2018, 09:39 AM
Spot on! Is it just me but is Scottish Football more exciting than the fare served up down South?It seems to be a lot quicker higher tempo ,skilful and more passionate. Lost count of the amount of English games I lost interest in (all leagues)last season especially as Man City had the league all but won by January.

More skilful? Never in a million year.

BILLYHIBS
30-05-2018, 09:43 AM
More skilful? Never in a million year.
Yeah! I have to admit you got me there!

:not worth

Future17
30-05-2018, 10:03 AM
I've no real problem with kit sponsorship when done sensibly, but there are clubs in the French and Mexican leagues (amongst others) with so many sponsors it changes the colour of the kit.

hibbycraig
30-05-2018, 10:58 AM
We should be playing in tops like Nascar jackets. Get as much money as we can!

TelaStella
30-05-2018, 01:09 PM
We should go shirt sponsor free. Strips looks so much better without.

QUOTE=Elephant Stone;5417397]There's enough logos/writing on the strips as it is without sticking some insurance company or something's name on the sleeves[/QUOTE]

This and this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BlackSheep
30-05-2018, 01:10 PM
I've no real problem with kit sponsorship when done sensibly, but there are clubs in the French and Mexican leagues (amongst others) with so many sponsors it changes the colour of the kit.

This.

Look at the example I posted in the OP, its tasteful and in place of a the SPFL badge, as i mentioned previously, the EPL rules state that one sleeve can forego the League badge in favour of a sleeve sponsor.

I think ignoring a potential revenue scheme through dislike of the aesthetics is quite short sighted.

I have no idea the fee we are paid for sponsorship, but imagine we got an additional 250k per year through this..... think of how that would help!

Keith_M
30-05-2018, 02:10 PM
Why not go the whole hog, and have bum sponsors as well...

http://sportreport.biz/fotos/2015_08_01_admira-mattersburg/20150801_admira-mattersburg24.jpg

snooky
30-05-2018, 02:16 PM

http://sportreport.biz/fotos/2015_08_01_admira-mattersburg/20150801_admira-mattersburg24.jpg

Then a player could turn just the other cheek when he gets accused advertising one prroduct.

Keith_M
30-05-2018, 02:19 PM
Then a player could turn just the other cheek when he gets accused advertising one prroduct.

:tee hee:

BlackSheep
30-05-2018, 02:21 PM

Dundee United have Carling as their shorts sponsor too..... It seems some clubs have embraced the revenue stream already.