PDA

View Full Version : Alex Edwards

Tom Hart RIP
29-05-2018, 06:57 AM
Anyone see Mickey’s cameo appearance in the Kenny Dalglish documentary?
retaliation at its finest 😂

BILLYHIBS
29-05-2018, 08:42 AM
Watched the video/bluray an excellent watch highly recommended. I must admit that I missed that bit.My tiny Hibee brain must be programmed to seeing Mickey on a short fuse throwing a wobbly and retaliating to persistent fouling from opposition players as being the normal.Without doubt an extraordinary talent and undoubtedly the best player never to have been capped by Scotland no doubt due to the availability of Johnstone and Henderson.Will watch again but will not watch alone.

GGTTH

BILLYHIBS
29-05-2018, 01:13 PM
Just watched the video and incident again and to be fair Dalglish hardly touches him and looks like a petulant instinctive violent reaction deserving of a booking or straight red. As already stated excellent video also features another ex-Hibby King Kennys son Paul Dalglish.

I found this link on EEN which makes interesting reading and may be of interest to fans of an older generation.

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/tunnel-fracas-players-now-are-bunch-of-fairies-1-771975

Tom Hart RIP
29-05-2018, 01:43 PM
To be fair to Mickey, teams used to take turns in fouling him knowing that he would snap so presumably Kenny Ds was the final straw.
Absolutely brilliant footballer. Never win a cap but would have 100 today if he could avoid suspension.
Great article in the Scotsman. Thanks for the link. Hadn’t seen it before

BILLYHIBS
29-05-2018, 02:26 PM
To be fair to Mickey, teams used to take turns in fouling him knowing that he would snap so presumably Kenny Ds was the final straw.
Absolutely brilliant footballer. Never win a cap but would have 100 today if he could avoid suspension.
Great article in the Scotsman. Thanks for the link. Hadn’t seen it before
I agree - teams realised he was the main threat knew he was on a short fuse and would take it turn about to foul him and just take their bookings as one for the team as towards their ultimate goal of getting Mickey sent off. He had an amazing football brain intelligent and could pass a ball on a sixpence. I was glad he mentioned the incident where he walked over Alex Macdonald as I mentioned it on a previous thread and it seemed that long ago and surreal I was starting to think it had all happened in a dream.

Do not want to hijack your thread great subject matter hope people watch the video and read the article.

GGTTH

heretoday
29-05-2018, 02:57 PM
My ideal 60s/70s attack would have had Mickey on the right and Willie Johnston on the left. The opposition would have been so busy trying to wind them both up they'd have tied themselves in knots!

WoreTheGreen
29-05-2018, 05:01 PM
Mickey was in the Hibs club about a month ago. One of the best passers of a ball l’ve ever seen

snooky
29-05-2018, 05:08 PM
My ideal 60s/70s attack would have had Mickey on the right and Willie Johnston on the left. The opposition would have been so busy trying to wind them both up they'd have tied themselves in knots!

Fifers on both wings? Are you nuts? :greengrin

Deansy
29-05-2018, 09:16 PM
I've never seen a more accurate placer of a ball than Mickey - what a player he was for us !. Plus he wasn't overly fond of the Huns Alex McDonald (well, no-one was really) and didn't hold back in showing it - I loved him for it !

Roxyhibee
29-05-2018, 10:10 PM
In a team with a ridiculous amount of talent, he was probably the one real genius. So much vision in placing passes and confidence on the ball. Still never seen anyone to this day ‘bounce’ like he did when he had the ball.

For the younger ones who never saw him play, he really was something very special, but then I never saw Willie Hamilton play in the 60’s, and Hibbies from that era would say that about him.

And fans from the 50’s would say the same about Gordon Smith..

We’ve had some talent through the years.!

A Hi-Bee
29-05-2018, 10:11 PM
I've never seen a more accurate placer of a ball than Mickey - what a player he was for us !. Plus he wasn't overly fond of the Huns Alex McDonald (well, no-one was really) and didn't hold back in showing it - I loved him for it !

Without a doubt the finest player never to get a Scotland cap in the last fifty or sixty years, his goal at Hampdump in the semi against the old huns was a thing of real beauty, all the better for it being our second goal.
The triangle formed with John Brownlie and King Paddy was a joy to watch.

A Hi-Bee
29-05-2018, 10:15 PM
Fifers on both wings? Are you nuts? :greengrin

Blue Brazil nuts?
No need for Johnston on the other wing we had Arthur Nijinsky Duncan.

Tom Hart RIP
30-05-2018, 07:32 AM
Great story in Pat’s book about the ref in 7-0 game asking him to have a word with Mickey as he kept winding up A purple faced Jim Jeffries by continually singing ‘jingle bells’

lapsedhibee
30-05-2018, 08:17 AM
The triangle formed with John Brownlie and King Paddy was a joy to watch.
Amen to that.

snooky
30-05-2018, 08:58 AM
Anyone see Mickey’s cameo appearance in the Kenny Dalglish documentary?
retaliation at its finest ��

Edwards was kicked off the park in many games. He didn't get much protection from the refs. They were quick to get their cards out for him after he retaliated following a series of unpenalised fouls.
Sometimes it's hard to pick a favourite in the Tornados as there were so many in that team. I could easily pick any one of 9 out of the regular 11 starters.

lapsedhibee
30-05-2018, 02:36 PM
Edwards was kicked off the park in many games. He didn't get much protection from the refs. They were quick to get their cards out for him after he retaliated following a series of unpenalised fouls.
Sometimes it's hard to pick a favourite in the Tornados as there were so many in that team. I could easily pick any one of 9 out of the regular 11 starters.

Everyone stop picking on two of the Jims! :grr: :panic:

JimBHibees
30-05-2018, 02:38 PM
Great story in Pat’s book about the ref in 7-0 game asking him to have a word with Mickey as he kept winding up A purple faced Jim Jeffries by continually singing ‘jingle bells’

:faf::faf: :not worth