PDA

View Full Version : James McGachie Senior (1955 - 2018)

Jamesie
27-05-2018, 09:08 AM
I am sad to have to report the sudden passing of my uncle, James McGachie senior, on Friday. He was only 62 and in good health and died while working in the garden so as you can imagine it has come as a great shock to our family.

James grew up in Portobello and was a massive Hibby for all of his life, most recently with a season ticket in the East stand, and indeed was responsible for introducing me to Easter Road as an eight year old when on 26 November 1988 we attended a 1-1 draw against Dundee, with Stevie Archibald on the scoresheet for Hibs.

It wasn’t long until we were both regulars in the old family enclosure in the Cowshed and indeed only last week I had been thinking about how we could celebrate the 30th anniversary of that game later this year. If there is any solace whatsoever, it comes in the form that we were at Hampden together on 21 May 2016.

I am posting here as my uncle wasn’t a massive user of social media, but had a number of pals that he would speak to at Easter Road from his working life at the Uniroyal / Continental Tyre factory at Newbridge (from the early 1970s until its closure in 1999) and then with Lothian Buses (from 2000 until his retirement a couple of years ago).

As I have no means of contacting these guys hopefully this post may serve that purpose. If anyone knew my uncle and would like details of the funeral in due course then please send me a PM.

Pagan Hibernia
27-05-2018, 09:14 AM
Sorry for your loss Jamesie

FranckSuzy
27-05-2018, 09:35 AM
Very sorry to hear your sad news. RIP James.

Forza Fred
27-05-2018, 10:28 AM
Sorry to hear that news James.

Not sure if I knew your uncle, but we were of similar vintage.

Unfortunately, it is all too common to hear about seemingly healthy men among us , suddenly and shockingly pass away, without any outward warning that anything was wrong.

Indeed, but for a fortuitous visit to the doctor a few years ago, I could have been in that category, so I can relate to your current circumstances.

Please accept my condolences , and pass them on to the rest of the family.

GIBBY NEWTON
27-05-2018, 12:13 PM
I am sad to have to report the sudden passing of my uncle, James McGachie senior, on Friday. He only 62 and in good health and died while working in the garden so as you can imagine it has come as a great shock to our family.

James grew up in Portobello and was a massive Hibby for all of his life, most recently with a season ticket in the East stand, and indeed was responsible for introducing me to Easter Road as an eight year old when on 26 November 1988 we attended a 1-1 draw against Dundee, with Stevie Archibald on the scoresheet for Hibs.

It wasn’t long until we were both regulars in the old family enclosure in the Cowshed and indeed only last week I had been thinking about how we could celebrate the 30th anniversary of that game later this year. If there is any solace whatsoever, it comes in the form that we were at Hampden together on 21 May 2016.

I am posting here as my uncle wasn’t a massive user of social media, but had a number of pals that he would speak to at Easter Road from his working life at the Uniroyal / Continental Tyre factory at Newbridge (from the early 1970s until its closure in 1999) and then with Lothian Buses (from 2000 until his retirement a couple of years ago).

As I have no means of contacting these guys hopefully this post may serve that purpose. If anyone knew my uncle and would like details of the funeral in due course then please send me a PM.

My condolences Jamie,Jimmy was a lovely person always had a smile especially when talking about you & also the Hibs !!! He was a great neighbour & great Hibby we had many a good blether in the street especially after big Hibs games. Last spoke couple of years ago down the borders after he moved down that area. He’ll forever be in my memory when i’m out & about in Porty or going to see the Hibs, so young a sad loss to everyone who knew him !!! A great uncle who told me many times how proud he was of you as a person & a Hibby May he rest in peace ! If poss would appreciate funeral details as would like to pay my respects to Wonderful person !!!!

stu in nottingham
27-05-2018, 12:19 PM
My sincere condolences, James, I'm sorry for your loss. Hopefully, you will keep those happy memories close to you.

May he rest in peace.

Jamesie
27-05-2018, 01:46 PM
My condolences Jamie,Jimmy was a lovely person always had a smile especially when talking about you & also the Hibs !!! He was a great neighbour & great Hibby we had many a good blether in the street especially after big Hibs games. Last spoke couple of years ago down the borders after he moved down that area. He’ll forever be in my memory when i’m out & about in Porty or going to see the Hibs, so young a sad loss to everyone who knew him !!! A great uncle who told me many times how proud he was of you as a person & a Hibby May he rest in peace ! If poss would appreciate funeral details as would like to pay my respects to Wonderful person !!!!

Cheers Gibby, both myself and the rest of the family will take a lot of comfort from your words and indeed I remember James mentioning that he met you in a garden centre when he was living down in Chirnside. He always enjoyed talking to you about Hibs in the Square. I will be back in touch ASAP.

Jamesie
27-05-2018, 01:48 PM
Sorry to hear that news James.

Not sure if I knew your uncle, but we were of similar vintage.

Unfortunately, it is all too common to hear about seemingly healthy men among us , suddenly and shockingly pass away, without any outward warning that anything was wrong.

Indeed, but for a fortuitous visit to the doctor a few years ago, I could have been in that category, so I can relate to your current circumstances.

Please accept my condolences , and pass them on to the rest of the family.

Cheers Fred, much appreciated. I remember asking James if he knew you when I met you over in Melbourne back in 2004 - your paths can’t have been too far apart!

Jamesie
27-05-2018, 01:48 PM
My sincere condolences, James, I'm sorry for your loss. Hopefully, you will keep those happy memories close to you.

May he rest in peace.

Thanks Stuart 👍

Hibby D
27-05-2018, 07:01 PM
So sorry for your loss James.
Your Uncle has been taken far far too young.
Much love to you and your loved ones x

Jamesie
27-05-2018, 08:01 PM
Thank you Diane, your words are much appreciated x

Jonnyboy
27-05-2018, 08:05 PM
James, I am so sorry for your loss. My thoughts are with you buddy

O'Rourke3
27-05-2018, 10:16 PM
Always sad news to hear of fellow Hibees passing. Please accept my condolences for you and the family.

The Harp
27-05-2018, 10:50 PM
Very sorry to hear of your uncle's passing, James. It's clear from your original post that the two of you had a special bond. I hope you can cherish that as so many people don't have that to console them.
My sincere condolences to you and any other members of your family.

RIP

ozhibs
27-05-2018, 11:17 PM
Sorry for your loss James, I too had an uncle that started taking me to Easter Road die about the same age

NAE NOOKIE
28-05-2018, 05:26 AM
Condolences mate, always sad to hear of the passing of one of our own.

JimBHibees
28-05-2018, 06:00 AM
RIP James.

CraigHibee
28-05-2018, 06:54 AM
sorry for your loss buddy

Jamesie
28-05-2018, 10:44 AM
Thanks all for your kind words, they are a great source of strength for the family and I have already had a couple of former colleagues made aware through this post which was my main intention; GGTTH

MB62
28-05-2018, 11:20 AM
Condolences James, difficult times for yourself and family.
We will all join the Angels high above at some point, (as my brother pointed out to me when he had been told the news of his own terminal illness), but 62 is still too young.

Take care.

GGTTH

The Leith Dutch
28-05-2018, 11:46 AM
Condolences on your loss :(

davemcbain
29-05-2018, 09:11 AM
Sorry for your loss Jamesie - thoughts are with you and the family.

Jamesie
03-06-2018, 09:52 PM
Thanks again to for all of the wishes expressed on this thread - they mean a lot to us. James's funeral will take place at 10am on Saturday 9 June at Warriston Crematorium, with a notice in the Edinburgh Evening News early next week.

I would also like to say a big thanks to Laura Montgomery, Head of Sales and Sponsorship at Easter Road. One of James's wishes had always been to be laid to rest in his Hibs shirt, something that I traditionally bought for him as a Father's Day gift each year. I wanted to ensure I maintained that tradition, albeit a little early this year, for one last time. After contacting Laura she was happy to allow me to buy the new shirt on Saturday in order that we can get this to the funeral director very early tomorrow morning, as has been requested. I am sure James would be amused to think that he will be the first Hibs supporter in the land to be sporting the new shirt!

Historically we have often heard on this board about when this club gets things wrong but 10/10 for the compassion and understanding shown in this instance - under the present stewardship we get tend to get things right more often than not IMHO.

monktonharp
03-06-2018, 10:26 PM
Thanks again to for all of the wishes expressed on this thread - they mean a lot to us. James's funeral will take place at 10am on Saturday 9 June at Warriston Crematorium, with a notice in the Edinburgh Evening News early next week.

I would also like to say a big thanks to Laura Montgomery, Head of Sales and Sponsorship at Easter Road. One of James's wishes had always been to be laid to rest in his Hibs shirt, something that I traditionally bought for him as a Father's Day gift each year. I wanted to ensure I maintained that tradition, albeit a little early this year, for one last time. After contacting Laura she was happy to allow me to buy the new shirt on Saturday in order that we can get this to the funeral director very early tomorrow morning, as has been requested. I am sure James would be amused to think that he will be the first Hibs supporter in the land to be sporting the new shirt!

Historically we have often heard on this board about when this club gets things wrong but 10/10 for the compassion and understanding shown in this instance - under the present stewardship we get tend to get things right more often than not IMHO.Jamsie, I am so sad to hear of his passing, but do appreciate the fact that he would indeed be rather amused at the fact he will be "first to wear the Green" this season at least. I knew him very well, for a long time and we always reffered to him as Jaybo. he was a Porty boy, from the Mount Lodge area as far as I recall.A good Hibby, one of our own. hope to be able to attend on the 9th. R.I.P Jaybo McGachie.

jgl07
03-06-2018, 10:42 PM
Best wishes Jamesie.

CMurdoch
04-06-2018, 10:29 AM

Historically we have often heard on this board about when this club gets things wrong but 10/10 for the compassion and understanding shown in this instance - under the present stewardship we get tend to get things right more often than not IMHO.

Well done to you Jamesie and to the club.
Your Uncle would be proud of your coup :flag:

Fanforlife
04-06-2018, 10:38 AM
Sad to hear this Jamsie.Knew Jabo well back in his old Y.P.R days.Good Hibby back then as well.R.I.P.Jabo