PDA

View Full Version : 50s home top

Babyshamble
26-05-2018, 11:18 PM
Ma dad gave me an original home top from the 50s.has number 7 stiched on the back.Gordon smiths number ?

HibeeHibernian4
27-05-2018, 04:30 AM
Yep, Gordon Smith's number.

7 - Smith
8 - Johnstone
9 - Reilly
10 - Turnbull
11 - Ormond

bigwheel
27-05-2018, 05:11 AM
The holy grail [emoji122][emoji108][emoji119]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BILLYHIBS
27-05-2018, 07:52 AM
Yep, Gordon Smith's number.

7 - Smith
8 - Johnstone
9 - Reilly
10 - Turnbull
11 - Ormond
Duh! Thanks for that! Anyone on this site that doesn’t have that etched on their brain must be a troll or a yam.

:troll:

SouthMoroccoStu
27-05-2018, 08:35 AM
Ma dad gave me an original home top from the 50s.has number 7 stiched on the back.Gordon smiths number ?

Ooooft that’s a gift and a half

As the kids say, well jelly

lord bunberry
27-05-2018, 10:15 AM
Duh! Thanks for that! Anyone on this site that doesn’t have that etched on their brain must be a troll or a yam.

I wouldn’t have known that.

.Sean.
27-05-2018, 10:17 AM
Amazing. Can you post some pictures and how did he come across it?

BILLYHIBS
27-05-2018, 10:32 AM
I wouldn’t have known that.
Gordon Smith The Gay Gordon The Prince Of Wingers Probably the best player ever to have worn the famous green jersey won three Championships with HIBS Hearts and Dundee. Everyone of a certain generation when asked the best player they ever saw it was always Gordon Smith regardless of which club they supported.Every day is a school day. If OP could post an image that would be fab.

bigwheel
27-05-2018, 10:37 AM
Not got a 7. But do have a 3 20820

Not quite as special as a Gordon Smith top. But still a beautiful item...

Pagan Hibernia
27-05-2018, 10:49 AM

absolutely beautiful is right

The Leith Dutch
27-05-2018, 11:00 AM

Not quite sure what you're getting at here.
Either you're missing a smiley indicating a (pretty poor) piss take or you're ripping someone for responding to a question.

BILLYHIBS
27-05-2018, 11:06 AM
Not quite sure what you're getting at here.
Either you're missing a smiley indicating a (pretty poor) piss take or you're ripping someone for responding to a question.
No just surprised that someone had to remind us that the famous Gordon Smith wore No7.Please see later post. Not looking to fall out with anyone over this.

stoneyburn hibs
27-05-2018, 11:10 AM
No just surprised that someone had to remind us that the famous Gordon Smith wore No7.Please see later post. Not looking to fall out with anyone over this.

The majority of Hibs fans wouldn't know that, including myself.

ancient hibee
27-05-2018, 11:32 AM
Surely not.

BILLYHIBS
27-05-2018, 11:32 AM
Yeah,maybe time to realise that us older fans are now in the minority but still surprised none the less.

:hibees

superfurryhibby
27-05-2018, 11:34 AM
Gordon Smith The Gay Gordon The Prince Of Wingers Probably the best player ever to have worn the famous green jersey won three Championships with HIBS Hearts and Dundee. Everyone of a certain generation when asked the best player they ever saw it was always Gordon Smith regardless of which club they supported.Every day is a school day. If OP could post an image that would be fab.

In the interests of pedantry I feel compelled to point out that he won five championships at three different clubs.

I could only be sure that Reilly wore number 9, the rest of the five’s numbers would have been guess work ��

The Leith Dutch
27-05-2018, 11:36 AM

No worries mate - would never want to fall out with a Gordon Smith fan :)

Long before my time but once I'd fallen for Hibs a few older friends of my parents started plying me with books on the clubs history.
From that point on I was completely obsessed with Smith. Brilliant as the others were he was the one that really grabbed the imagination.

One of those books also had a cracking picture of Eddie Turnbull on a Hibs tour of South America.
He's shaking hands at the start of a match with (I think) the Vasco de Gama captain at the start of the match.
Just a wonderful picture.

The Leith Dutch
27-05-2018, 11:40 AM
In the interests of pedantry I feel compelled to point out that he won five championships at three different clubs.

I could only be sure that Reilly wore number 9, the rest of the five’s numbers would have been guess work ��

This is one of my favourite statistics :)

All the more impressive when you think that no one club outside the Old Firm has more than four titles.

Or looking at it another way - 26% of the Scottish Titles won by clubs other than Celtic and Rangers featured Gordon Smith in the title winning team.

BILLYHIBS
27-05-2018, 11:46 AM

yeah apart from the Championships won at HIBS I was merely trying to emphasis the point that he won Championships with two other clubs outwith the OF which was some achievement and simply highlights what a good and consistent performer he must have been.If any posters reading this can shed any further light on Gordon Smith wearing any other number on his shirt I would be interested to hear as going by the number of goals he scored he must also have been very successful going through the middle a la Ronaldo.

ancient hibee
27-05-2018, 11:48 AM
A good guess but if it’s the photo I’m thinking about the game was actually at Easter Road(which I saw).Gordon Smith was team captain on the South American tour.If you go to the Hibs Historical website,sorry can’t post a link,there’s a very good section about a Gordon Smith exhibition.

superfurryhibby
27-05-2018, 12:08 PM
yeah apart from the Championships won at HIBS I was merely trying to emphasis the point that he won Championships with two other clubs outwith the OF which was some achievement and simply highlights what a good and consistent performer he must have been.If any posters reading this can shed any further light on Gordon Smith wearing any other number on his shirt I would be interested to hear as going by the number of goals he scored he must also have been very successful going through the middle a la Ronaldo.

I think Smith a good number of games at centre forward early in his career at Hibs so very likely wore the number 9.

BILLYHIBS
27-05-2018, 12:22 PM
I think Smith a good number of games at centre forward early in his career at Hibs so very likely wore the number 9.
Yeah you your self point out that Reilly would definitely have been wearing No9 but Gordon Smith best remembered as being Prince of Wingers. I remember Lawrie Reilly telling the story that he idolised Gordon Smith once met him in the street and invited him to his parents house in Dundee Street for tea.There was definitely a time pre Lawrie Reilly so Gordon Smith may have been employed as a centre forward number unknown if they had numbers just after the war.

superfurryhibby
27-05-2018, 12:36 PM
Yeah you your self point out that Reilly would definitely have been wearing No9 but Gordon Smith best remembered as being Prince of Wingers. I remember Lawrie Reilly telling the story that he idolised Gordon Smith once met him in the street and invited him to his parents house in Dundee Street for tea.There was definitely a time pre Lawrie Reilly so Gordon Smith may have been employed as a centre forward number unknown if they had numbers just after the war.

Without looking on tinterweb, I think Smith signed in 1941, scoring 3 goals v Hearts on his debut in a pair of borrowed boots. Reilly wasn’t signed until 1946, so Smith would have played a lot of games before Lawrie made his debut.

Aye, that story is in Lawrie’s book.

Good point about the numbers, I have a feeling that they were a post war innovation.

BILLYHIBS
27-05-2018, 12:43 PM
So Smith was No 7 then?

superfurryhibby
27-05-2018, 12:45 PM
So Smith was No 7 then?

No, when he played games as a centre forward they probably weren’t wearing numbers.

Thecat23
27-05-2018, 12:46 PM

I didn’t know this either.

BILLYHIBS
27-05-2018, 12:50 PM
I didn’t know this either.
Not you as well Cat?

BILLYHIBS
27-05-2018, 12:51 PM
No, when he played games as a centre forward they probably weren’t wearing numbers.
Exactly

Fergos
27-05-2018, 12:53 PM

Superb, a very special momento indeed BW.

GGTTH

thebakerboy
27-05-2018, 01:07 PM
So Smith was No 7 then?
Generally Smith was no7 but the numbers referred back then to the position not the player. So he would normally wear No 7 but probably turned out in other positions , including at centre forward and would have worn the number for that position ie no9 for centre forward.

Thecat23
27-05-2018, 01:10 PM
Not you as well Cat?

I honestly didn’t know, I’m useless with these type of things though!! Love reading about the famous five but didn’t think about the numbers they all had.

Billy Whizz
27-05-2018, 01:13 PM
Famous 5 was well before my time
Just know the numbers from the order in the song “Glory glory to the Hibees”

OxoHibby
27-05-2018, 02:25 PM
absolutely beautiful is right

Should be next seasons top

The Leith Dutch
27-05-2018, 02:51 PM
Famous 5 was well before my time
Just know the numbers from the order in the song “Glory glory to the Hibees”

Have to say there was a certain joy to the numbers actually meaning something rather than the (to me) bizarre squad numbers now.

EastThomasSTboy
27-05-2018, 05:19 PM
You also have to remember that the No.7 Jersey, would have been worn by everyone who played in that Position, that season (the players did not have individual jerseys).
the other matter to think about, would be that the Reserves and our East of Scotland Hibs team, all wore the same type/colour of jersey,(...which would have been a Bukta jersey in the 50s,) So there would be a Green/White jersey, numbered 7, for all our 3 teams.

Quite hard proving provenance, unless you got it from Gordon himself.

Still a lovely item nonetheless.

GGTTH.